TITLE: The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac

NAME: frogdoggie

E-MAIL: frogdoggie@hotmail.com

CATEGORY: SRH

RATING: NC-17 for het sex - bad language...and bestiality - NO! Not really. Uh...just read it and you'll see.

SUMMARY: Walter Skinner reveals a secret vice/talent. Pairings? Good question. I'll tell you what - you guess.

FEEDBACK? LOVE IT - FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME.

TIMESPAN/SPOILER WARNING: Any time, any how, any where. Some very minor spoilers from season six as well as Tunguska. But nothing significant.

KEYWORDS: story Skinner Mulder Scully humor romance

DISCLAIMER: No one belongs to me. They belong to CC. You know the drill.

Authors Note: This is an XAPEN exclusive premiere. Thanks to Halrloprillalar who's wonderful story, "Agent Scully and the Bawdy Award" inspired this bent little piece. If you haven't read her story - you should.

The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac by frogdoggie

Prologue:

We all have a hobby. You know how that goes, right? A pursuit outside the daily grind. A little endeavor we look forward to coming home to after work? Something we enjoy indulging in on the weekend?

Yeah. A hobby. I'm no exception. In fact, I have several hobbies.

I've always liked to tinker with my Corvette. The 61 Corvette Convertible I restored. Getting that baby to purr is one of my...passions. Yes sir. There's nothing more satisfying then working on a classic car engine. Doing your own maintenance. It's relaxing, and ok - sure - it saves you cash too.

I box. Hey, boxing is an art. Sure you get your brains rattled - if you're not good at it. But I'm very good at boxing. No bragging. Ask the guys at the gym. See how many knockouts Walter Skinner has had over the last 3 months. Sparring is just a great physical work out. Keeps me sharp. Hard. Ready to handle any perp - if I ever get out from behind my friggin' desk and run into one.

Cooking. I'm a firm believer that if you're unattached and like to eat you should learn to cook. If you want to stay healthy and live within your budget I should qualify that by saying. So I learned to cook and now it's one of my favorite hobbies. What are you laughing at? I'm a 90s kind of guy. Sensitive. I'm not embarrassed to admit I like to whip up a quiche once in a while. Give it rest.

So, I have my hobbies. Everyone knows about the three I've mentioned. But...I have another hobby - a fairly recent one that no one knows about yet. And I'm not sure anyone will ever know about it.

See, I've taken up writing. Yeah - I had half a mind to attempt setting down some of my wartime experiences. I tried. I guess Nam isn't something I'm quite ready to relive yet, however. Next, I considered relating my experiences at the Bureau. My career history. My days as a field agent. My climb up the ladder to Assistant Director. I got about 20 pages written before I realized it was as boring as shit. I mean really - who the hell wants to read about my exploits as a paper pusher for the FBI? Well, maybe it was the fact it bores me to tears so what I had written was as dry as toast. I don't know. At any rate, I gave up on the autobiography idea.

I cast about for a more...interesting writing project. Something that would be more creative and fun to write. Something that would help me to relax after work, and something that readers would enjoy wading through. Something...fine...a writing project that might be publishable. A literary undertaking that would bring in a little moonlighting money. I'm always looking for ways to augment my retirement fund after all. So...I was looking, musing...searching...

One night, during a trip to the drugstore for some sorely needed Pepcid AC, I found my solution to the *what can I write for fun and profit* dilemma. I found an idea on what to pen, right there on the book rack at the Walgreens on the corner.

I started writing a romance novel.

Oh sure, HAR HAR HAR! Well...just shut the hell up. It's not that funny. Christ.

Look. I was standing in the check out line and I could see this book rack full of books with titles like *Summer Passion*, *Pilgrim's Passion*, *Angel's Passion*,*The Coaches Passion*, *The Clerics Passion* - fuck - practically "The Butcher, The Baker and The Candlestick Maker's Passions*. I thought...what is this - Buy your *Bodice Ripper of the Month Club*? I mean sure, just in case you want a little romance along with your Beef Jerky? Shit.

You think I didn't know they were called Bodice Rippers? Yeah, well guess again. Sharon used to read them. They sucked then, and I was sure they sucked now.

But while I was staring at the rack one title really caught my eye. *Corvette Passion.* Ah, now that's more like it, I thought. I picked that one up and leafed through it.

By the time I reached the cash register I was saying *Jesus Walter, you could write better then this.*

I could probably paint covers better than this too if I gave myself half a chance. Man - they all looked the same - even this one about a guy, a girl and a car. All the covers featured some half dressed, muscular guy with long flowing hair (oh yeah, ask me if that's a prerequisite to passion and I'll tell you a good story), holding some half dressed, softly curved woman with long flowing hair and a mansion/horse/boat/car in the background. Maybe some mountains and a castle. Whatever. Gee. Do I sense a formula here? It doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a talented investigator to recognize a system when you see one. They all looked the same. And...they were all written by women. That was very interesting. By women for women I thought, reading a few more pages. Hmmmm...I wonder...

At any rate, I proceeded to the cash register. When I was pulling out my wallet to pay for the Pepcid AC, I found myself meeting the watery green eyes of the middle aged woman at the counter. I pinned her eyes and I'm thinking....

"Do you read these things?" I asked her carefully, proffering the book towards her. I raise an eyebrow and wait for a response while she studies the paperback.

"Why yes. I do," she replied breathlessly, looking back up, and then gazing into my eyes.

When she batted her eyelashes, I blinked, and set my jaw.

"Why?" I asked with my most authoritative voice of command. Hey, I was a field agent. I know how to interrogate a witness. And I needed answers.

"Why?" she repeated staring at me.

"Yes. Is there something...especially interesting about this type of literature that makes it so popular? Merits a whole rack devoted to it in the store?"

"Devoted to it?" she repeats again.

/Lady what the hell is this here - Jeopardy? I'm the one asking the questions./

"Right. Why do you enjoy reading this type of book?" I tried one more time.

She released a heavy breathless sigh.

"Oh, they're just so romantic..."

/God! Well yeah, I could guess that - this one has "A Harlequin ROMANCE" emblazoned on the cover./

"Romantic?" I fish further.

"You know..." she giggles.

/Madame...If I knew I wouldn't be asking you.../

"They're...sexy...."

"Sexy? You mean erotic..."

I'd only read about 10 pages - 10 pages where this guy did nothing but talk about his fabulous red Corvette, nicknamed Lucinda. Yeah, I guess I thought that was kind of hot. Maybe she's right...

"Yeahhh," she sighs again, "I buy two or three a week and just enjoy them so much! The plots are really good too. Except for maybe that one..."

"What's wrong with this one?"

"Well...Randy talks about his car a little too much in that one. I think Sandy felt jealous."

/Randy and Sandy? Oh brother. I know I can come up with better characters.../

"But you buy a lot of them?"

"Oh yeah. I probably blow way too much of my paycheck on them. But, the rack is right there - and it's just so tempting," she giggles again.

Bingo. Sex sells. If she's blowing her money on this trash what would she do if a really prime piece of passion showed up on that rack. A really prime piece of passion written by...

"Would you ring this up too please....uh...I own a Corvette.

"Oh. REALLY?"

Oh shit.

xXx

The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac

A Tale of Forbidden Passion

/Click, click, click...yeah...forbidden passion - that's pretty good. I mean I have to stick to the formula here a bit otherwise my adoring future readers won't recognize this masterpiece for what it is - prime smut...click...click, click.../

by Walter S. Skinner

/click....WAIT? Are you crazy Walter? You can't use your real name on this thing. First of all - the authors are women. Well...maybe some of them are really guys using elaborate pen names - but they're using female pen names. So, I should stick with the tried and true maybe? Secondly - I can't publish under my real name! Do you even have to ask why? Does the name Fox Mulder ring a bell? How about F. M. Luder? Yeah. He may have used a pen name but he'd never let me live it down anyway if he found out I was publishing a bodice ripper. He'd probably buy it because it's smut, and then rub it in forever. No...I have to come up with a pen name. Dare to be different Walter...try something like...Let's see...click....click...click...click.../

by The White Russian

/Fuck that! There's all ready one of those out there, and that rat bastard probably does write smut - in Czech. Forget it....Let's go for something more recognizably masculine. Why not? We can't all be named Hortense I guess...click click click..../

by Rock...

/No!...click..click.../

by Brick...

/Uh, no...click.../

by Stone...

/Shit. Let's just drop the manly man monikers here. Maybe I should stick with that tried and true pen name idea after all...Let's see...using my initials...click...click....clickclickclick.../

by Wilhemina Summers

/God! No way...click...click.../

by Wendy Saunders...

/Shit no...click...click.../

by Whiskey Sour

/NO! NO! NO! Christ on a crutch. Forget it. God, Walter show some back bone. Just give up, and go commando for crying out loud...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK/

by Walter S. Skinner

/There, that's much better. Now...click, click...clickity click.../

CHAPTER ONE

The moors were cold, dank, desolate, just like her soul, Danielle Scorby thought as she gazed pensively out the window of Wyndham Manor.

/window of Wyndham Manor? Crap... Rhyme is fine if you've got the right line...and I don't...click clickityclick.../

as she gazed pensively out the window. Wyndham Manor was dank as well, and lonely....and...haunted, she was sure. She turned from the window, smoothed her flame red hair back behind her ears with her dainty hands, and hurried from the tower as the sun began to set.

/Yeah. Great. Supernatural smut. If it works for Anne Rice...click...click.../

She was so frightened of the possibility that evil beings walked the halls, and grounds of the Manor. Terrified she would hear their anguished moans or feel their frigid touch on her bosom.

/should I say tit? Uh...no...how about breast? Yeah sure, why not...click..clickclickclick.../

...frigid touch on her breast.

The only light that shone through the darkness was the thought of her rendezvous near the statue of Ste. Rose du Lac. Her fast approaching rendezvous with her lover....

/click...with her lover....her lover....click...what the fuck name do I give Danielle's lover?/

BRRRRRRINNNNNG!

/Damn! Who the devil is calling me on my cell phone at this hour?/

xXx

"Skinner"

"Sir?"

"Didn't I answer this thing *Skinner*. Yes, Mulder it's Walter Skinner, your Assistant Director. Why are you calling me at home?"

"I'm sorry. Am I interrupting something?"

"Uh...no...not really. What's going on?"

"Well something important just came up. A...a reported case of flesh eating silver fish invading the public library in Dunwitch, Kansas and..."

"And you and Scully want me to approve the 302 right away?"

"Sir, I don't think it will wait until..."

"It can never wait, can it, Mulder?"

"Sorry sir. May I fax it to you?

"Sure, go ahead. I'll wait for it and then bring it in tomorrow."

"Signed sir?"

"Yes, signed, Agent Mulder."

"Thank you, sir. Scully and I appreciate it. Sorry to bother you. Good night."

"Good night, Mulder."

Click.

xXx

/Now where was I...oh yeah...click...click../

Her fast approaching rendezvous with her lover Wolf Mordare.

/Hmmm...ok...now for the touching but erotic meeting between the hero and heroine...click...clickclick.../

Danielle's nimble feet carried her through the growing shadows of the encroaching night. She ran quickly towards the statue of Ste. Rose du Lac and peered with her crystal clear blue eyes out onto the wind swept moor for the approach of her Wolf. He was coming on horseback. She listened for the sound of pounding hooves.

/Wow, this is good Walter. Yeah...now what kind of horse would this guy ride.../

Finally she saw him, galloping towards her on his Russian bred white stallion. The horse and rider were bathed in foamy sweat. Wolf had ridden hard to reach her. Danielle dashed forward as Wolf slowed his steed. As the wiry horse came to a halt she grasped the reins and helped steady him as Wolf swung, stiffly, from the saddle. When his boots touched the earth a low howl came from nowhere, everywhere...all around them. The sound chilled their very souls. Danielle gasped. The Russian warm blood reared up for a moment until Wolf gentled him with a hand to his flank.

/Now we're rolling...weird sounds...just wait to they find out what caused that howl...click..click.../

"There, there Alexi," Wolf murmured into the horse's ear.

"What could have howled so?" Danielle asked, glancing about her in apprehension.

Wolf followed her gaze and placed one gracefully gloved hand on his sword.

"The moors are rife with many strange and terrible creatures my lady. It could have been a werewolf, a ghoul or any number of supernatural beings."

"Sounded like a poor lost dog to me," Danielle replied, holding the lunging Alexi as steady as she could.

"Werewolf, my lady..."

"no...a poor lonely dog, lost and..."

"Werewolf..."

"Whatever.." Danielle answered handing the reins to Wolf so that he could settle the stallion further.

"My lady, I must cool Alexi, brush and feed him..." Wolf smiled at her most charmingly, showing his perfect white teeth.

"Oh yes, please...let me show you to my uncle's stables..." Danielle sighed up at him, her breast filling with love.

Wolf took Danielle's hand gently into his and with his other hand, took the reins of the recalcitrant Alexi. He smiled down at her once more, making the petite red-headed lady of the manor dizzy with desire.

They walked hand in hand towards the stables....

/All right now...I think it's about time for the first big love scene. Let's see...yeah...a roll in the hay. That's the ticket. Rustic but romantic. Oh man, they're gonna love this part...click, click...clickity..click.../

The stables were dry and warm and smelled of leather and horses. A musky man smell that made Danielle feel warm all over as she stood and watched Wolf tend to Alexi.

At last the stallion had been walked and cooled, brushed, fed and blanketed for the night. Wolf left his horses stall and walked towards his waiting lady love.

Danielle reached out for him and he walked into her arms, pulling her close and placing her head under his chin.

"Oh Danielle, I missed you so much," Wolf whispered into her soft red hair.

"I missed you too my love...all of you," Danielle purred, stroking his chest and then lower with her warm, languid hand.

/Oh man, yeah...maybe some guys will read this too...they'll eat this stuff up when the women gets aggressive. Hey - worked for me once in an elevat...uh...right. Anyway...I need to think about logistics here...click..clickclick.../

"Indeed?" Wolf smiled down at her wolfishly...

/Wolfishly!? What? Oh come on...Walter. That sucks. Talk about dreck...I need an edit here - big time..clickclick.../

"Indeed?" Wolf smile down at her rakishly.

/much better...clickclickclick/

"Yes," Danielle sighed as he bent forward and kissed her passionately on her bee stung lips.

/bee stung? Sure why not, yeah...that's pretty descriptive...Gheez, it's getting kind of hot in here. I could use a drink...<SAVE AS rosedulac.doc>/

/brandy...some classical music. Now I'm really ready to rock the world here.../

Their kiss seemed to go on, and on, forever, and Danielle's breathe was taken away. She could feel Wolf's heat, his hardness against her thigh.

"Oh Wolf, please..." Danielle moaned when he released her mouth, "Take me..."

/Christ - take her where? This is a stable for God's sake. Shit. He can't just throw her down in a horse stall. She'll end up with hay cutting her all to hell. Bad planning Walter...bad...oh wait a minute maybe he can.../

"I want you too Danielle...truly, madly, deeply...but...where can we...ah...wait..." Wolf caressed her hair. He released Danielle to go back to Alexi's stall for the spare saddle blankets he had hung over the side wall.

/There you go, Walter. I guess all those logistics courses come in handy in more ways than one. Ok. Let's get down to it here./

Wolf took Danielle's hand in his once more and lead her over to the ladder which lead to the hay loft.

"Let's go up to the loft. It will be more private, my love" he whispered, brandishing the blanket to indicate she should climb up ahead of him.

"Climb? In these shoes?" Danielle asked slightly concerned for her own safety.

"Never fear, my love, I'll guide you," Wolf smiled at her with reassurance.

Daniel smiled back with love in her intelligent blue eyes, as Wolf placed his hand in the small of her back to support her step up onto the first ladder rung.

With Wolf's gentle help, in no time at all, both of them gained the loft and the bower of hay that awaited them.

/Where's that glass of brandy? Oh yeah...mmmmm. Good and smooth. Man, this scene had better be too...clickclickclickityclickity.../

Wolf placed the blanket carefully down on the hay and then he and Danielle lay down face to face. They lay very close and then Wolf took her into his embrace and kissed her again. Danielle opened her mouth to her lover, and he tasted her, moaning.

/Shit...this *is* good..clickclick.../

Wolf broke the kiss. They were both gasping. He looked down into her lovely, pale face, and stroked a finger over her right breast, teasing the nipple beneath the cloth. Danielle shivered and shut her eyes.

Wolf felt her educated fingers teasing at his crotch. Danielle touched him, teasing him, ran her fingertips lightly over his hard....

/should I say cock? Hard-on? Erection? Manhood? The books (ok I bought more than just "Corvette Passion" so sue me), always say pulsing manhood but that sounds like a fucking shower massager or something. Rod? God, that's even worse. I mean it makes me think of hanging curtains and then that makes me think of Martha Stewart...and...whoa! I'd better not go there...so what do I call this guy's Johnson? Hmmmm...well hell - I might as well go for accuracy here. Let's just call a spade a spade...clickityclickclick/

Danielle touched him, teasing him, ran her fingertips lightly over his penis.

Wolf groaned and thrust into her hand.

"Oh Danielle...that feels so good. Please...I want to...I want to undress you...to see your beautiful body naked before me..."

"God, yes, Wolf, I want to see you naked too.../

BRRRRRRRRRRINNGGGGGGG

/Mutherfuck...now what?<SAVE rosedulac.doc>/

xXx

"Skinner!"

"Sir, I'm really sorry to bother you..."

"Agent Scully?"

"Yes, sir. I apologize for calling you at home, sir..."

"No, that's quite all right, Scully. What can I do for you?"

"Well...Agent Mulder suggested I should call you and request..."

"Agent Mulder suggested you should call me?

"Uh, yes..."

"Mulder put you up to calling me..."

"Sir, I wouldn't phrase it exactly like that, Agent Mulder..."

"Is he there, Scully?"

"Yes, sir...but..."

"Get him."

"Yes sir."

"Sir?"

"Mulder. You have to stop getting Agent Scully to do your dirty work, agent. It's not fair, or professional....

"Yes, sir. I really am sorry about that, but I was on the phone with, uh... Frohike and..."

"One of those three hackers?"

"Yes, the short one."

"Oh. So?"

"So...he suggested I purchase a particular type of equipment that generates high pitched sound waves which silver fish find..."

"Mulder?"

"Yes sir?"

"How much is it going to cost me?"

"I'd like to fax you the expense estimate sir. Scully and I really need this piece of equipment in Dunwitch...if you could see fit too..."

"Estimate? That's a first. All right - fax it and I'll consider it."

"Thank you, that's more than fair."

"You bet it is, Mulder."

"Yes, sir. Just a sec..."

"Mulder?"

"Sir, Scully said she really does want to apologize."

"Tell her there's no need, and you should apologize to her. Do I make myself clear?"

"As crystal, sir."

"Good. I'll call you back with my decision as soon as I receive the fax."

"We're in the basement sir."

"Fine I'll call you at the office then."

Click

xXx

/10 thousand fucking bucks for a bug zapper? I'm gonna castrate the bastard. Well fine. Now I'm not in the mood to write the love scene AT ALL! Damn Mulder. And shame on Scully for letting him play her like that. I thought she had more back bone...Well fuck them both...Oh hell, why let them ruin everything here. Let's see if I can try to get Danielle and Wolf back on track...CLICK CLICK CLICKITY CLACK THUNK!/

Danielle and Wolf rolled about on the blankets, clutching at each other's clothing, tearing, shoving...

/Ah hell - they can't rip the clothes off each other - what are they going to do, go up to her uncle's house buck naked afterwards...no...click, click, click.../

Wolf tenderly removed Danielle's clothing, slowly, one piece at a time..

/Oh right? And how long is that going to take? Talk about prolonging the moment...ah shit...but maybe that's better, tease the readers a little...yeah...ok/

After Wolf had Danielle almost naked he kissed her and then asked her to help him disrobe as well. In short order she had his upper body naked under her hands. She allowed her hands to roam over his strong shoulders. Down his bulging biceps....

/No damn way - not in a million years...clickclickclick..../

Down his well muscled biceps, across his pectorals to tease his hardening nipples. And then...and then...

/Oh Balls! I've lost my motivation for this scene completely. I just can't write a hot and heavy love scene after thinking about that 10 thousand dollar bug buster. Piss up a rope! Now what? I could quit for the night but...well maybe I can salvage something here....worth my best shot. No one ever calls Walter S. Skinner a quitter after all...clickclickclick.../

And then, as she fondled him, he pulled back, staring deeply into her eyes. Danielle could see the lust there, but also the fatigue that had overtaken him now. Oh my poor Wolf she thought with dismay. He must be completely worn out from his long ride.

"Danielle my darling," Wolf begins looking tenderly down at his lover.

"Yes, Wolf I know...you're exhausted. I...you need to sleep."

"Oh my love...I...I'm so sorry. I am quite fatigued from my journey and as much as I desire to make love with you tonight, I'm afraid I...well...I may not be able to..."

Danielle placed a finger on Wolf's sensuous, pouting lower lip to silence him. He kissed the finger and she smiled into his tired hazel eyes.

/Yeah - the readers'll love this scene. Wolf is a sweet, considerate lover. He doesn't want to disappoint Danielle by being too tired to get it up for her. Right. A sensitive man. Shit...maybe I should have taken that advice back when Sharon...negatory, cancel that idea...never mind...clickityclickclick.../

"It's all right Wolf. I understand. Let me hold you my love. I'll hold you and we can just sleep."

"Oh Danielle..." Wolf sighed. Danielle pulled him to her breast and he lay his head upon it, cuddling close to her.

"Are you cold my darling?" he asked her.

"Not now. Never with you, my sweet Wolf."

"I promise...in the morning...I won't disappoint you...my love."

"I know. Sleep now...sleep."

And they did

/Hot damn! Can I salvage a situation or what? Man this is fantastic. Talk about your panting readership. They're gonna be putty in my hands. Christ look at the time! I'd better file this and hit the sack. I still have to put in a day at work tomorrow. Well, good night Danielle, good night Wolf. Au revoir until tomorrow.

<SAVE rosedulac.doc>

 xXx

Click Click Click

CHAPTER TWO

/Despite my pain in the ass day - I am ready to get down to my new hobby here. I've been looking forward to booting up my home PC all day. So, back to Danielle and Wolf and a little morning magic...oh yeah.../

The crowing of the cock woke Danielle where she still lay in Wolf's muscular arms....

BRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNNG

/SON OF A BITCH!/

xXx

"Skinner!"

"Assistant Director Skinner?"

"Yes. Who is this?"

"This is Melvin Frohike, Mr. Skinner. I believe we've met before..."

"Yes, I remember you...when Mulder was in the hospital."

"Twice."

"Right. What can I do for you Mr. Frohike?"

"I just got an e-mail from Mulder and Scully that was very...well more peculiar than usual for Mulder."

"What did it say?"

"It was cryptic. But part of it concerns you. In fact Mulder asked if I would forward it to you immediately upon reading my part of it. I'd like to forward it to you if I could, Mr. Skinner. It concerns the case they're on in Kansas and I think you may want to..."

"Mulder gave you my e-mail address?"

"Only the one that you used after they were reassigned to..."

"Fine. E-mail it to me."

"It's on it's way as I speak."

"All right. Thank you Mr. Frohike."

"Sorry to bother you at home Mr. Skinner, but Mulder did say it was urgent. I wanted to make sure you knew the e-mail was coming."

"Very conscientious of you. Thank you. Good night."

"Good night."

Click

xXx

To: WaSK@acmecity.com

From: MFrodo <KungFuU@rocketmail.com>

Subject: [RE: [FWD] Urgent: Something Fishy in Kansas]

Frohike:

Send the battery pack! The one that came with the Bug Blaster is defective. Overnight it. Thanks. I really owe you that copy of *Leather Jacket Love Story* I guess. I'll call you about it when I get back.

Do me one last favor - please? Forward this next bit on to AD Skinner if you would. Here's the addy: WaSK@acmecity.com

Here's the message:

Sir. We ran into the one armed bandit here in Kansas. He is heavily involved with the silver fish incident. The bastard supplied us with critical information and then disappeared, per his usual MO. However, before he rabbited, he left a note for you. He said to tell you he's *still thinking warm thoughts - but not for much longer*. Scully and I thought you should know, sir.

- M

/FUCK A DUCK! GRRRRRRRRRR/

xXx

/Clickclickclickityclick/

CHAPTER TWO

The crowing of the cock woke Danielle where she still lay in Wolf's muscular arms....

/NOT any more...sonuvabitch...clack...clack....clickclickclick/

The crowing of the cock woke Danielle. She was no longer in Wolf's muscular arms. The flame-haired beauty sat up and gazed about for her lover.

She spied Wolf in the soft shadows where he hurried to pull on his shirt, sword, and leather gherkin...

/oh hell...gherkin? Christ. That's a friggin' pickle. Where's my damn Websters...Let's see here....oh yeah...click..click/

...leather jerkin.

"Wolf?" she asked in confusion. She had expected him to wake her with a gentle kiss in prelude to his promised morning lovemaking.

"I'm sorry my love...but..."

A voice came from below and Danielle crawled to the edge of the loft to see her uncle's dwarf-like squire, Mentor, standing in the stable below.

"Hurry, my lord," he was calling, "They said it was most urgent. Sir Jeffrey has been most foully murdered by some unknown beast..."

Danielle looked up into Wolf's hazel eyes. The excitement of the chase was there again. She sighed. She knew he would leave. Abandon her for the quest. Leave her to pine for him until his return. She stood to meet him as he drew near the top of the loft ladder.

"Danielle..." he began, guilt warring with the excitement in his eyes.

"I know, my love...go...they need you at the castle,"

"I will return as soon as I can. I love you Danielle," Wolf bent and kissed her on the forehead.

"I love you too, Wolf," she sighed.

The stalwart hero kissed her once more and then he swung his long legs over, onto the ladder, and began to climb to the floor below.

/Maybe I should have him fall off the ladder? He could break his leg and Danielle could nurse him. Hmmmm....no...an accident would create too much of a break in the action...let's get that cowboy on his horse so he can ride...yeah...good...clickclickclickityclick/

Mentor struggled to lead the lunging and snorting Alexi out of the stall, and over to where Wolf was jumping down onto the dirt.

"Damn it! Stand still you great oaf," the dwarfish servant cursed the Russian stallion.

Wolf grabbed the reins from Mentor's hands and swung up into the saddle as Danielle climbed down from the loft.

"Be careful my love," Danielle advised, as Mentor jumped back away from the rearing steed, "God speed."

Alexi's hooves once more met the earth.

"I will, my love. Never fear!" Wolf yelled, brandishing his riding crop.

Danielle and Mentor stood side by side, and well away, as Wolf applied the riding crop to the flank of his snorting, wickering mount. He dug his heels into the horses sides and Alexi shot forth, out of the stable doors, his hooves flashing in the morning light.

/Wicker? Is that right? Maybe it should be whinnies? No wait...I have a better idea...clickclickclick.../

...Wolf applied the riding crop to the flank of his snorting, screaming mount. He dug his heels into the horses side and Alexi shot forth, out of the stable doors, his hooves flashing in the morning light.

"Watch your back..." Danielle whispered as Wolf rode off towards the moors, and Castle Fowlenstein which lay half a league yonder.

/Yeah, that's the ticket. Shit...this is prime stuff. I'm going to keep these two apart until the readers are practically dying from the Unresolved Sexual Tension. UST - it's what really pumps these books up - let me tell you. Now, it's about time to bring in the supernatural surprise...click...click...clickity.../

CHAPTER THREE

The next day...Danielle sat once more by the stature of Ste. Rose du Lac, watching and waiting - keeping a lonely vigil for Wolf Mordare.

BRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNNNG

/Muther puss bucket...Let me guess..../

xXx

"Skinner."

"Did you assign that pencil necked geek Spender to this case...sir?"

"Mulder, What the fuck? I can barely hear you!"

"Oh. Sorry. Hang on...."

"Christ..."

"SCULLY! TURN IT OFF. I'M ON THE CELL WITH SKINNER!"

"Sorry about that sir..."

"Mulder, what in the living hell was that..."

"Scully was testing the silver fish killing device sir...there seems to be a glitch in the audio chip."

"I'd say so. Now what was that about Agent Spender?"

"Spender is down here going on and about his mother and..."

"Mulder I didn't assign Spender. He must be down there on his own, or maybe Kersh assigned him."

"Well hell...he's getting in the fucking way."

"Mulder, you're SAC on this case - deal with it."

"I have your permission to handle it sir?"

"Yes. Handle it any way you see fit."

"Thank you sir!"

"Fine."

"Sorry to bother you again at home, sir."

"Right. Good night, Agent Mulder."

"Good night, sir."

Click

xXx

/Now about that howling...clickclickclick.../

CHAPTER THREE

The next day...Danielle sat once more by the stature of Ste. Rose du Lac, watching and waiting - keeping a lonely vigil for Wolf Mordare.

The day was overcast and cold, in keeping with her dismal mood. She studied the statue. Ste. Rose gazed placidly down at her. Her marble features peaceful and patient. Yes, she looked patient. The patience of a saint. Danielle sighed. She figured the tiny cross at her neck and prayed to Ste. Rose du Lac to give her patience as well.

/Yeah she's going to have to have the patience of Job before I get through here...clickclickityclick/

Suddenly, as Danielle's thoughts spiraled towards depression, a low, lonely, lost sounding howl moaned low all around her.

"My God!" Danielle exclaimed, startled and afraid.

Before she could flee however, the statue of Ste. Rose du Lac shifted and she jumped to her feet and moved back quickly, staring wide-eyed at the sight.

The statue made a grinding sound as it moved on it's base. Shortly, it had moved completely to the side, revealing a dark opening into the earth below it.

Danielle's curiosity got the better of her fright, and she drew near and peered into the dark passageway that stretched downwards before her.

"What is this place?" she mused as another mournful, low howl met her ears.

"Oh. It does sound like some poor lost animal, perhaps a hound, is trapped below. It was fortuitous the statue moved from the sounds vibrations..." she told herself as she studied the passageway.

"Hmmmm....this could be the origins of the rumors of a haunted Wyndham Manor! The true nature behind the Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac!" she mused in eager anticipation of possibly being the first to discover the true facts behind the myth.

Stairs lead downwards. She realized she could see them more clearly because the passageway wasn't really as dark as she first thought. No, it seemed to be lit from below with a spectral light. The dismal moaning howl came up from the depths and touched her heart.

"I must go to it," she nodded. "The poor animal needs my help, most certainly," she decided.

Stepping carefully forward, and gripping the tiny knife she kept concealed in her belt, Danielle placed a graceful foot on the first step of the stairway leading down.

BRRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNG!

/OH BLOW ME! It figures...just as I was getting to the good part..../

xXx

"Skinner!"

"Sir?"

"Agent Scully, Where are you?"

"I'm sorry for the noise sir, uh...I'm outside the Dunwitch General bzzzzz"

"What?"

"...Hospital ER, and....bzzzzzz."

"ER!? Are you all right, Scully?"

"I'm fine, sir. It's Agents Mulder and Spender who aren't, I'm afraid."

"What happened, Scully?"

"Well...it's rather complicated sir. Suffice it to say that...some people seem to be very sensitive to the audio device we're trying to use here. At least to the chip we had in it. Uh...it causes a violent reaction in some individuals..."

"Are you trying to tell me Mulder attacked Agent Spender?"

"Uh no sir...Agent Spender attacked Agent Mulder. He...he beat him up rather badly sir. We're all in the ER right now. Spender is in restraints and..."

"Scully, what can I do about any of this? I mean I'd be willing to help you but..."

"Sir, for some reason, Agent Spender lists you...you're to be notified in case.."

"Me?"

"Yes sir. I need to fax you some forms to sign so that the hospital can have permission to treat him. They've said faxing would be ok, under the circumstances. He's out of his head sir..."

"Christ, all right. Yes, send me the forms immediately."

"Thank you sir."

"Don't mention it. How is Agent Mulder?"

"Oh, he'll live sir. They've admitted him for observation, however."

"Well...fine. Tell him...tell him to get well soon."

"I will, sir. Thank you again."

"No problem. I'll get the forms back to you as soon as they arrive here."

"Good night sir. Sorry to..."

"Don't apologize Scully. There's no need. Good night."

"Yes sir."

Click

xXx

/Jesus. Now I've gotta think about the health insurance forms I'll be busting my ass over as soon as they all get back from Kansas? Fuck. NO! I won't let this little bump in the road distract me...I need to get back to Danielle...clickclick...click/

Danielle climbed carefully downward, all the while keeping her hand on the hilt of her knife. Soon she reached the bottom, and the stairs opened out into a large chamber. The room was filled with torch light from sconces on the walls. There was a table and a great chair in the middle of the space in front of her.

Seated at the table was a huge, hairy shape. It's head was down on it's arms. It's body slumped upon the table in front of it. Danielle felt her breath catch in her throat as the creature moaned again. It was the howling she had heard. And it was profoundly sad and haunting.

Instead of fleeing for her life, the intrepid and compassionate Danielle crept forward until she was quite close to the large animal. She studied it carefully as she tried to ascertain just what species of beast this was sitting before her. She jumped when, sensing her presence, the beast spoke.

"Do not look upon me. Leave me!" it growled.

It's rumbling voice rolled into Danielle's body and touched her soul. Danielle knew instantly from the sound that this was a male beast. A huge, muscular man beast for sure.

"Leave you? Why? You...you sound as though you could use my help. That you could use...a friend...."

"I don't deserve the friendship of any human being - much less the friendship of an angel such as you m'lady. Please...go..."

Danielle approached closer, and came up to the beast's side. She touched his hairy head and he, jerked, raising up to look into her kind blue eyes.

Danielle was struck immediately by the tenderness and longing combined with the soulful hurt in the beast's soft glowing brown eyes. His wrinkled black nose was wet, tears tracked down the dark fur of his cheeks. The animal had obviously been crying. Danielle stroked his brow and the beast quivered, but looked away.

"Don't touch me. I am unclean." he snarled, jerking away, and then levering his bulk up out of the chair. He stalked away to the other side of the chamber, leaving Danielle standing by the chair.

/Man am I on a roll here or what? The tragic beast. Yeah - Beauty and the beast. This is classic. Symbolic! Deep. The readers will cream over it...clickclickclickity...clickclick.../

Danielle sniffed the air..."Well maybe a little," she thought, "but after all, he was a beast...a large, muscular, hirsute beast...and he is so sad..." she thought as she walked quietly towards him again. Her heart palpitated in her breast, suffusing her body with an odd warmth. She shook herself and reached a hand tentatively towards the cringing animal.

"Why are you so mournful, Sir Beast...who hath broken your heart?"

"Beast indeed. Yes. I am beastly...now. The worst kind of animal. Cursed by God for my deeds, I am sure. And yes - my heart is broken...because of love..."

The beast let his voice trail off and he stared at the dirt floor.

"What have you done that could be so horrible?" Danielle asked moving slightly forward towards the furry form.

The beast scuffed one mighty foot against the floor. His claws made furrows in the soft dirt. Danielle's eyes were drawn to his paw, and then upwards to...to look between his fur covered legs.

"OH MY!" She exclaimed. He was indeed a mighty, manly, beast in more ways than one. She averted her eyes and waited for the beast to continue.

"I have killed a man. I have sent another man to his certain death. And I did it all in the name of love. Oh! I am truly damned!" he lifted his head and howled once more. The gut-wrenching sound reverberated off the chamber's walls. Danielle winced and covered her ears until the echoes died away.

"What do you mean, killed a man...what man have you sent to certain death?" she asked, alarm rising up in her. It made her shiver. She thought of Wolf riding towards Castle Fowlenstein to investigate the murder of Sir Jeffrey Spader...

/Hang on just a second here Danielle...I need to wet my whistle...a little more brandy in this glass and we'll be all set...there we go....ok, onto the beast's tragic tale....click, click...click.../

"Yes, I have killed Sir Jeffrey Spader, the lying, evil scoundrel. He...he had plans to harm the one I love. He...it was necessary that I send him to his death before he harmed her."

"But if you only did it to protect the one you love..." Danielle began, seeking to comfort the sobbing beast.

"There is no excuse for the blood on my hands!" the beast snarled in reply.

Danielle stood silent, and saddened, as he continued on.

"And now, what is worse - I have succumbed to an even baser emotion. Jealousy. I have sent the lover of the one I love to his certain death at the hands of the equally evil Lady Deirdre Fowlenstein."

"You mean!?" Danielle cried out.

"Yes! I have doomed Wolf Mordare, your lover, to a grisly death...because...because I love you , M'Lady Scorby, worship you from afar and have all my miserable cursed beastly life. I cannot bear to have another man hold you in his arms. Oh GOD! I...I am the scum of the Earth!" the beast wailed.

/Shit! This is fantastic. Talk about a powerful scene. Tragedy. Angst. Unrequited love, murder...Yeah - just what the uh...doctor ordered. Now...let's see...what's next...click, click, click.../

Danielle threw her hand in up to her mouth, and backed away from the beast as he yowled in utter desolation. She was suddenly alarmed and disgusted despite her pity for the monster. Her hand went to her knife, but something made her stay it. Her weapon remained in her belt. She gaped at him as the beast once more pinned her blue eyes with his now, black and eerily glowing orbs.

"See, even now I disgust you, my...my lady love...as I should. Leave me, go before it's too late...let me die in peace..." the beast said in a much more gentle voice, trying to rein in his anger and despair.

"Die in Peace!?" Danielle lowered her hand and darted forward in alarm. No matter what he had done for her - he had done it for love. He didn't deserve to die for..."

"GO!" the beast roared at her. His rank breath blew in her face and ruffled her flame red hair.

"All right, I'm going!" she cried out in fright. Danielle turned to make her hasty exit when suddenly...

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING

/I'm going to KILL whoever that is on the cell..../

xXx 

"Skinner!"

"Sir..."

"Mulder, you sound like shit."

"Thank you sir. I feel like shit. But, that's beside the point. I have a totally different problem."

"So, what's new? What is it?"

"Krycek is here, sir. He wants to work a deal."

"Alex Krycek. Fuck him...he can go to hell."

"Sir, he has the chip. The correct, working audio chip for the bug buster."

"The correct chip?"

"Yes, the one that's in it now is...well I think I smell Morley smoke all over it sir if you know what I mean. In any event it doesn't work properly. It drove Spender right out of his mind and..."

"Has anyone else been affected in that same way?"

"Unfortunately yes...the librarians at Dunwitch Public Library have..."

"OK. I think I'm getting the picture. And you need this device to stop the killer silver fish anyway?"

"Yes sir. Scully, and a team of Orkin Employees have barely contained them in the library. They're using insecticides, but the bugs seem to have some genetic enhancement that enables them to develop resistance to the chemicals as fast as..."

"Cut the deal with Krycek, Mulder."

"Thank you sir. It really is vital. Dunwitch...maybe the whole world...is doomed if..."

"I understand. But Mulder...how are you going to be able to...I mean you're hospitalized?"

"Oh not anymore. I uh...checked myself out about an hour ago. I'm at the Motel 6 waiting for Krycek right now."

"Oh. I see. All right. Fine. Keep me appraised of the situation Mulder."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

"No...uh problem. And Mulder..."

"Yes sir?"

"You and Scully be careful - please. I...I don't want to have to fill in any more health insurance forms than I all ready have to fill in."

"Yes sir. We'll watch each others backs."

"Good."

"Sorry to uh...well you know."

"More than you think, Mulder. Good luck."

"Uh, yes sir."

Click

xXx

/Krycek...fucking rat bastard traitor sack of shit....slimy piece of Czech offal...prick...clickclick...clickCLICK/

"All right, I'm going!" she cried out in fright. Danielle turned to make her hasty exit when suddenly the terrified shrieks of a horse in panic assaulted their ears."

"Oh my GOD! It...that sounds like Alexi!" Danielle cried.

The beast split the air with another mighty roar, and dashed past the temporarily petrified Danielle Scorby where she stood rooted to the spot. Coming to her senses quickly, Danielle dashed off up the stairs after him.

When she gained the light of day again she caught up with the beast who was standing, temporarily stunned, by the scene of utter chaos around the statue of Ste. Rose du Lac.

Wolf Mordare, sat astride the rearing, plunging, Alexi, hanging on for dear life.

Many armed horseman wheeled around Wolf and the frightened steed. Included in the company was the wicked Lady Deirdre Fowlenstein and her vicious henchman and lover, Duke Smockinman. All of the riders were carrying crossbows. They had put them to good use. Alexi was riddled with arrows. There was blood pouring from his nostrils and mouth.

/Yeah! Perfect! Nothing like a great battle scene to add punch to a narrative. And hey, I've been in combat. I know what this is like...realism...it's going to really get the story across here...clickclickclick.../

Danielle screamed as Duke Smockinman knocked one last arrow into his crossbow and then fired it directly into the Russian steed's heaving chest. Alexi went down in a tangle of flailing legs and tack, carrying Wolf Mordare with him. Danielle looked on in horror as Lady Deirdre set an arrow into her crossbow and aimed it directly at the struggling Wolf where he laid partially trapped beneath his fallen horse.

"NOOOOOOO!" the beast roared, coming to life at last. He flew from Danielle's side and flung himself at the wicked woman, knocking her, and her Arab gelding to the ground with one mighty blow.

Danielle averted her eyes as the beast proceeded to tear both the female rider and her mount, limb from limb, snarling, growling and shrieking in frenzy as he killed them both.

/The Terminator! Oh yeah man...go get 'em. They're all going to pay now...Christ...I'm parched...I need some more brandy here...mmmmm. Ok...now....clickclickityclick...click.../

Danielle rushed to Wolf's side and tried to pull him from beneath the now dead Alexi. But the horse was too heavy. The battle raged around them. The Beast taking down rider after rider, and horse after horse, as the bloodlust completely claimed his mind.

"Save yourself my love..." Wolf gasped as Danielle tugged at his leather jerkin one more time.

"My lady, let me help you!" a voice cried out suddenly.

Danielle glanced to her side, and gave her thanks to God, as the dwarfish servant, Mentor threw himself to his knees next to her and grabbed Wolf's shoulders.

"On three, we pull together," he grunted, "Pull as hard as you can, my lady."

"I will!" Danielle answered him with determination. On the three count they both heaved with all their might and Wolf Mordare was, at last, pulled out from under the cooling, dead, horseflesh of his Russian mount.

"Thank you...thank you both," he groaned as Danielle pulled his head into her lap.

The sounds of battle seemed to be slowing. Mentor knelt beside his mistress as she cradled Wolf Mordare's head.

"Now isn't that a pretty picture," a voice as cold as ice interrupted Danielle's gentle stroking of Wolf's brow.

The three companions turned their heads as one. Three sets of eyes flew wide at the sight before them. The evil Lord Smockinman, astride his coal black Percheron, sat staring at them as he casually smoked his pipe.

"You bastard," Wolf hissed trying to rise up. But he was too weak. He fell back.

"You cowardly villain!" Danielle spat at him.

Mentor made a provocative hand gesture to the Lord's face.

"I may be cowardly - but cowardice sometimes has...it's uses. I survive. I live. I will live longer than all of you," he sneered, putting out his pipe and pocketing it. He took his all ready armed crossbow from its holster on his saddle. He pointed the weapon at Wolf Mordare. His finger touched the trigger.

"I'll see you in hell," Wolf shouted at him in defiance.

"Yes. You will," the Lord answered with a vicious smile.

"AND SO WILL I!" came a mighty roaring voice as the Beast came out of nowhere and flung himself up into the saddle and on top of the startled Lord Smockinman just as he fired his arrow.

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUMPH!" the Lord shrieked. His scream was cut short quickly as the Beast grabbed his neck in his jaws and shook him like a rag doll. The combined thrashing of their bodies sent the keening Percheron crashing to it's knees and then onto it's side, throwing the roiling mass of beast and villain clear of the fray.

"Oh shit!" Mentor exclaimed as blood geysered out in a shower all over them and the ground.

/Ok. Ok. This is just great...Man I didn't think I could get the hang of this so fast...I mean not really - and not this well. Yeah, hell...this is more than a surprise - it's extraordinary. But...I'm almost to the end here and I haven't even written the love scene. What's a romance novel without the hot smut...I'd better give this some serious thought here....click clickclickclick.../

"Danielle shouted in anger as the arrow grazed Wolf's shoulder, it's trajectory deflected thanks to the beast's actions. Wolf cried out in pain and clutched at his arm where the blood now flowed freely.

"Oh Wolf, let me help you..." Danielle hastened to comfort him. Mentor stood guard as she tore the hem of her petticoat and applied the cloth tightly over the wound to staunch the bleeding.

Wolf smiled dizzily up at her, showing teeth, and Danielle gazed into his eyes with love in her heart. She could still hear the gnashing and snarling sounds of the beast nearby as he worked over the now quite dead Lord Smockinman. Both she and Mentor winced as they heard the noise of snapping, and then, crunching bone.

"You don't think?" Mentor whispered at Danielle as she looked over at him, and raised both her eyebrows."

"Yes. He's going to need a soothing draft for his guts after that meal, methinks," Wolf coughed, trying to chuckle. Danielle grimaced and refocused her attention on his arm.

Suddenly Mentor let out a frightened squeak. Danielle and Wolf looked up just in time to see the Beast rear up and bellow. His head was thrown back, his jaws smeared with gore, blood was streaming from several wounds in his chest, and in one triumphant clawed hand...

He held the severed head of Lord Smockinman, it's horrified dark eyes, wide open and staring.

"Dear God!" Danielle covered her mouth.

"No shit," Wolf grated.

"I'll second that," Mentor added, his mouth open.

/Fine. The beast cleans up after himself. Ok...now...I really have to give this sex scene some thought...but how in the hell...with Wolf wounded am I going to...who can I have make love with Danielle? Well...Wolf is the manly hero. I suppose he might be able to get it up despite the blood lose. Nah...Who then...Mentor? Shit, no way...Hmmmm....clicklclickclick..../

The Beast flung the head away in apparent disgust. Then his head swiveled over to look towards them all. As he gazed into their shocked faces, he regained his reason completely and his face and eyes fell in infinite guilt and sadness. He grimaced and then whined slightly clutching at one of the wounds, a great jagged stab wound in his groin.

"The Lord must have gotten in a killing blow with his knife or sword before he died, the devil," Mentor observed, with regret in his voice.

"Oh no..." Danielle exclaimed feeling deep pity for the Beast.

"That's...that's not fair," Wolf struggled to raise up again, "he...he saved my life."

"Yes, he did," Danielle nodded solemnly down at Wolf.

"Perhaps we could help him my lady?" Mentor pleaded as the beast began to crawl back towards the dark passage below the statue of Ste. Rose du Lac. As he pulled his wounded body along, a trail of dark blood was left over the moor grass.

"We should try to help him," Wolf sighed, weak from the battle and blood loss.

Danielle looked down into his clear hazel eyes. She was loathe to leave him...but he was right. The beast was in dire need of their help. And besides. For some strange reason she felt compelled to leave him and go to the beast. To go to his side right now!

"I'll stay here and tend to Sir Mordare," Mentor hastened to volunteer, "I...I have some experience in...many arcane arts - including the art of healing."

"Very well, I will go and see if I can save the beast..." Danielle nodded with determination. She rose, leaving them and hurried off to the stairway that lead below them into the beast's lair...

BRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNG!

/Oh for CHRIST'S SAKE!/

xXx

"Skinner!"

"Sir, I'm calling to update you on the Dunwitch situation."

"Oh. Agent Scully. Good. Uh...excellent. Give me your report."

"I have good news. We've eradicated the silver fish. All of them. They're all dead, sir."

"I take it Mulder got the correct chip?"

"Yes, from Alex Krycek. I...I was surprised Krycek cooperated, quite frankly. But I wasn't surprised when he slipped away again. The slimy, back stabbing weasel. Oh. sorry sir. But...Mulder had some even more choice words for him."

"I would imagine."

"Yes sir."

"So the situation is under control?"

"Yes. The town is secured and...and the population is very grateful sir."

"Good. Uh...how is Agent Mulder?"

"I made him check himself back in the hospital. He'll be fine. He just needs to rest."

"Ah, yes...well...I'm glad you're there to make sure he does."

"Yes sir. He can be very stubborn."

"As I am very much aware."

"I guess you would be, sir."

"Do you have anything to tie up with the local authorities?"

"A few things..."

"Is there a problem with the locals Scully? If so, I could..."

"No sir, it...it's all right. I'm just a little tired of the locals taking the credit sir. I mean Mulder...and I work so hard sometimes and....

"I know agent. It's not fair. But, for what it's worth Scully...."

"Yes sir?"

"I think you both did a bang up job down there. I appreciate it. You...you can tell Agent Mulder I said that, all right?"

"Yes sir! Thank you. I will do that. I know he'll appreciate it."

"All right then. Good."

"Sir?"

"Yes?"

"I appreciate it too."

"Uh...thank you Scully. Good night."

"Good night, sir."

Click

xXx

/You know...she really is a...a...crack agent...clickclickclick.../

Danielle hurried as quickly as she dared down the slippery steps of the stairway leading to the beast's underground chamber.

She reached the bottom of the steps, and frantically looked around for the injured beast. There was blood everywhere so she couldn't be sure of the trail. Some of the torches had guttered out, and shadows in the room were much deeper as well. Finally her eyes fell upon the beast's huddled form where he was lying against the far wall. Just as she spotted him, he gave out a small, low moan.

"Sir Beast!" Danielle whispered, rushing to his side. She knelt next to his hairy body and gently pulled at him until he was lying flat, his furry head in her lap.

"M'Lady," he wheezed, blood frothing up out of his gasping, fang filled mouth.

"Beast..." Danielle whispered stroking his brow..."my Beast..." she added, a tear escaping her eye. It ran down her cheek and plopped onto the beast's forehead.

A tiny, gentle smile played over his dark-lipped mouth.

"Don't cry, Danielle..." he whispered, struggling to take her other dainty hand where it lay upon his wide, muscular hairy chest.

"But you're dying, I can't help it..." she replied, tears choking her voice.

"Yes...I am dying. But it is a blessing. At last I may find peace."

"Isn't there anything I can do for you? Something that will save you? You mentioned a curse earlier."

"Yes. I was a Prince once. A man of noble birth until an evil sorcerer cursed me. I was forced to roam the Earth as a beast, until I was either felled in battle or found the true love of a beautiful lady. I have been felled in battle. At last the curse will be lifted."

"No! You can't die, oh valiant Beast...not now...not now that...that I love you!" Danielle cried out as sudden realization hit her.

She knew now why she felt compelled to seek out the beast. To go to him and try to save him. She loved him too! As sure as she loved Wolf, she also loved the brave, sad beast.

"My Lady!" the beast gasped..."You...you cannot possibly love one as hideous as me. And what about Sir Mordare? What will he say?"

"We'll have a nice, long talk, Sir Beast...I'm sure I can make him understand," she smiled gently down into his soft, brown eyes.

The beast sighed heavily, and then his eyes rolled back in his head.

"I fear it is too late..." he mumbled, losing consciousness.

/Skinner, you are just too good! This is fantastic. Talk about heart wrenching pathos...man I'm pulling out all the stops...and loving it...clickclick...click/

"NO!" Danielle yelled in horror. "NO!" she repeated shaking the beast. Then she grasped his face to her breast , and kissed his hairy head passionately over and over, rocking and crying as the breath began to leave the beast's body/

"Please don't die..."

Her anguished plea was suddenly met with a great rush of wind. The chamber roared and howled with it's passage. Danielle was knocked backwards, away from the beast as the wind violently buffeted them. She watched in stunned amazement as the beast's body began to glow brightly, flooding the entire chamber with blinding white light. Danielle covered her eyes and cried out....

And the chamber grew dim again...and deathly still. Then a voice spoke and it was soft, and so gentle...

"M'Lady?"

Danielle lowered her arm and was met by the beast's soft brown eyes again. Only now, the eyes were no longer surrounded by fur. The beast was a beast no longer. No! The beast was gone, and in his place lay a tall, nude, muscular Warrior Prince.

Danielle's eyes grew wide.

"Where....where is the Beast?" she asked in a daze.

The stranger chuckled gruffly and looked down at his nakedness. He covered himself modestly and answered.

"I am the Beast, M'Lady. But if it makes you more comfortable...you may call me Prince Sergei."

"Prince?"

"Yes, the curse has been lifted by your sweet kisses before I could truly die from my wounds. I am again a Prince, for what it's worth. My kingdom is long gone. I have been wandering, fighting, for many years," he answered, bowing his head in shame.

Danielle rose and walked to the naked man's side. She knelt down by him once more and touched his arm.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of..."

"Sergei..." the Prince prompted, looking up into her blue eyes.

"I think I rather liked Sir Beast better..." Danielle replied, shyly.

The Prince's face was lit by a radiant smile.

"You know, I rather think I did too," he replied, taking her small hand in his large one and giving it a gentle squeeze.

They sat like that for a moment and the Beast Prince spoke again.

"Danielle...could you...I mean...I do love you, you know," he told her quietly, "I have for a very long time."

"I love you to Sir Beast. Not for as long, but certainly as deeply."

"May I kiss you?" the Beast Prince whispered.

"Oh yes..." Danielle smiled, closing her eyes.

The Beast Prince took her into his arms and their lips met at last. Both of them gasped with the contact. They held each other tight. They tasted each other for several heated minutes until Danielle thought she would swoon from lack of oxygen. When they broke apart Sergei gazed into Danielle's eyes with such love that Danielle knew this was right, and that she loved him from the bottom of her heart.

"Will you let me love you?" the Beast Prince asked in a voice filled with emotion. His shaking hand came up, and cupped her chin.

"Always..." Danielle breathed out, and the Beast took her gently and began to undress her slowly, savoring each new glimpse of her body as it was revealed in the process.

At last they lay naked together, in the dirt of the cavern floor, and such was their love and yes, lust, for each other that it didn't matter at all.

As the Beast touched her and explored her body, Danielle moaned and moved against him, inflaming his passions further until he was moaning with her. His lips trailed over her body, following his hands, and when his hands found the spot between her legs she most desired him to find, his mouth followed there as well, and sent her to heaven.

"Oh, oh, oh" Danielle groaned. She was beyond thought, beyond coherent speech as The Prince's mouth took her higher and higher towards blissful release. Finally she reached the precipice, and fell over into a blinding white pleasurable light, crying out to God in her passion.

When she came back to herself the Beast was holding her tenderly, stroking her hair and murmuring words of love to her.

She touched his face and let her hand wander up over his smooth scalp. So different from the hairy Beast head he had before - yet delightful still.

The Prince smiled and bent to kiss her. She clasped her hands behind his neck and pulled him close to deepen the kiss.

When she pulled him to her she felt the hard length of his penis pressing against her thigh. He groaned and pulled back, looking deeply into her eyes.

"Danielle..." he whispered, asking with his deep brown eyes for permission.

"Yes...I want you in me...now...my love," she whispered.

The Beast lowered her back gently, and Danielle lay beneath him. He was careful not to crush her, taking his weight on his forearms. Danielle parted her legs and put her knees up so he could settle comfortably between them.

At last he place himself at her entrance and began to sink into her flesh. Danielle wasn't a virgin, after all she was also Wolf's lover, but she was still exquisitely tight, and The Prince gasped at the sensation of entering her wonderfully sensual body.

At last they were joined and then they lay together for a moment, gazing into each others eyes. The Prince ran his hand through Danielle's hair.

"Are you all right?" he asked her quietly.

"I'm more than all right, my love," she smiled up at him.

"Oh God..." the Beast moaned, "you're so beautiful."

And then they began to move together and it was incredibly sweet.

The Beast was powerful, but cautious in his thrusts at first. He didn't want to hurt his beloved.

Danielle was touched by his caring but she was more than happy to have him give way to his passions, and she gripped his hard ass, and begged him to take her fast and hard.

So he did.

Soon they were moving together in a frenzy, pounding against each other in ecstasy, crying out, gasping, riding into oblivion together. Sweat bathed their bodies and Danielle brought her legs up around the Beast Prince's waist and locked her feet in the small of his back.

For the Beast, the angle was just right and he roared out his pleasure as he began to reach the point of no return.

The new angle and the Beast's long, sure, deep thrusts drove Danielle close to the edge and finally she went over, screaming in joy with the overwhelming feeling of her climax. Her body tightened hard around the Beast and he howled once more, coming in a great rush, shooting his seed into Danielle as both of them convulsed together in blinding ecstasy.

"I love you!" he moaned as he began to come back from the sweet release of their passion.

"Forever..." Danielle gasped, and she kissed his cheek.

/Click....click....click.../

-THE END-

xXx

"Well...Walter....this is uh...this is something...something else. I mean...It's....it's special and fine...and...ah shit."

/<SAVE rosedulac.doc>/

I can't publish this thing. It's too...too person...I mean it's not a novel. It's only three Chapters long for Christ sake. But...I have to admit it - ok - it's kind of good. Kind of? It's damn good. Damn straight it's good. A fine piece of romantic writing. I have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of here. Nothing. But...it really is too short. It barely qualifies as a short story.

But it's really a damn shame if no one gets to see it. I mean hell...Wait a second. I have an idea. Mulder's always talking about those newsgroups. He subs to a whole raft of those things. Mufon, Duke University Psychic Sciences Department, The Whisper Group...He let it slip once that he's pubbed some stuff online before...yeah...as F. M. Luder.

Well shit - if it's good enough for Mulder let me boot up here and see if I can't find someplace to send my story...

Click. Click....Click

Hisssssssbeephisssssssbeephisssssss

CONNECTED

All right. Here we go...

Here we go...

Here we...God! Talk about your World Wide Wait. Oh...ok here we are.

I'd better do a search. But on what, and more importantly where? Christ. Yahoo. Lycos. Altavista. Infoseek. Hotbot. Deja News - how many of these things are there?

Wait...Kimberly mentioned a new one the other day...Yeah...Mamma. The Mother of all Search Engines. Sounds like just what the AD ordered.

"Fine."

Clickclick Clickclick....

<"gothic romance newsgroups">

"That should do it. Now lets wait here and see. Hmmm...I could use another brandy."

.....alt.goth.fetishists

"Uh, no I don't think so."

alt.goth.vampire.fic

"Well...if I'd had a bloodsucker in there yeah. But I don't think the Beast qualifies..."

alt.goth.noromos.fic

Fuck no! This story is full of romance.

Wait a minute - Here we go!

alt.goth.romofans.fic

BINGO! Romance fans - yes, sir! They should fall all over this story. Ok, well...I'll just access this newsgroup here, sub to the list and then send the story off. But...

Man I'd really better not risk my own byline here after all. I mean, if Mulder pubbed his stuff as F. M. Luder maybe there's a good reason. So, I have to come up with an pseudonym. Balls. Those others were so....so lame. What the hell would Fox Mulder do...Fox? Hey...now there's an idea.

Click click click...

Loading Microsoft Word 97

<Open File rosedulac.doc>

The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac

by Walter S. Skinner

/All right, this will work much better...ClickClickClick/

The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac

by J. Fox

/There, that's the ticket. No one will never make the connection...Good deal. Now I just have to sign up and upload..../

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNNG!

/But first I have to answer the GOD DAMN CELL PHONE!/

Epilogue

Click, click, click

"Hey, Langly. Check it out! There's a new story on the alt.goth.romofans.fic

newsgroup."

"Oh sure, Melvin. Give it up. I told you I thought that stuff blows and sucks like a fan."

"Oh come on, man...this stuff can be hot sometimes."

"Frohike, you might as well face it. Ringo just doesn't appreciate classic literary genres."

"Thanks, John."

"All right, all right. Show me this deathless classic you've dug up."

"See, right here - *The Curious Secret of Ste. Rose du Lac* by J. Fox.

"J. Fox? Fuck. That's Mulder again Frohike...you know he's cruises that alt.goth.fetishists newsgroup...."

"No, no - he pubs under F. M. Luder. This has to be somebody different."

"Oh yeah? Curious Secret? Hmmm. Well...that does sound like it might be an interesting mystery. Ok, go ahead Frohike, access it and let's take a look.

"Great. Cool...here goes..."

Click...Click...Click.

-THE END OF THE WHOLE STORY-