Title: "IMing Between Friends"

Author: PMD and Piper Sargasso

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca and gotthebug@aol.com

Rating: PG-13

Category: Skinner/Scully friendship, Skinner and Scully POV, AU Spoilers: Several up to season 8 for the X-Files. Several season 1 and one season 2 mention for Smallville. And one mention of a recent season 2 for The Agency.

Summary: Two friends while away the afternoon IMing with each other.

Disclaimer: CC and Co. and Fox own the X-Files and the characters. We're just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this collaboration, so don't sue us. As to the mention of Superboy, Superman, Smallville, Nyquil and Dayquil, God, the characters Jackson Haisley and Terri from The Agency, mention of the CIA, and the use of AIM in the story, we're just borrowing, will give them back, not making any money with their use in this story, so don't sue us.

Archive: For the time being, archive at IWTB. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Feedback: Yes we would love feedback.

Author Notes:

Dedication: This is a sequel to E-Mails Between Friends and something so much more beyond that---this is a birthday fic for one of our favorite beta's in the whole wide web---Happy Birthday Jay. Hope you like your birthday fic---I picked out the paper----Piper picked out the bow. <g> And sallie dressed it all up by being our guest beta so I guess it's safe to say it's sallie safe.

Another thing is that with the use of season 8, this is really AU. Mulder was never abducted and yet Kersh is DD. There are none of the complications that occurred during season 8---just a friendship piece between two good friends---sharing a lonely afternoon via the computer. Now to some personal notes:

Peggy: I want to say once again what a pleasure it was to spend time with my fellow collaborator Piper. I certainly had fun creating this story through IM'ing with you, sweetie. And I look forward to our next collaboration---X-mas ring a bell. The guys at SV will be so surprised.

Piper: First and foremost, Happy Birthday, Jay! Hope it's the best one yet. I also want to thank Sallie for doing the beta for us. We couldn't ask for a sweeter, more generous listmate! It was fun putting this sequel together with Peggy and I hope you all enjoy it as much as we enjoyed writing it. 

On with the show! 

"IMing Between Friends" - by PMD and Piper Sargasso

SurlyBear: Hi Doc!

Starscout: Hello

SurlyBear: You do know who this is?

Starscout: How are you feeling?

Starscout: Of course, Walter!

SurlyBear: Good. Wasn't sure if I was imagining out e-mails yesterday or not. After all, I am sick and I bet you're sick to death of staying home one more day. You wish you were out, chasing down vampires or something but not the Flukeworm.

SurlyBear: Ooops, I mean our. I guess it's good I'm not a writer.

SurlyBear: As to your question---still sick as a dog.

Starscout: I *am* bored, but there's no way I'd rather be chasing that Flukeworm thing again.

Starscout: Have you been resting?

SurlyBear: Trying to but every time I lie down, I feel this need to get up---so I can breath.

SurlyBear: Or not cough up a lung.

Starscout: Oh, I'm so sorry. I know it doesn't feel like it, but it will pass.

SurlyBear: Like Mulder's expense reports. Well, I have to say one thing--at least those are easily taken care of. And surprisingly, I miss them right now.

Starscout: You miss them?!? I never thought I'd hear you say that.

SurlyBear: I did mention I was sick? <g>

Starscout: LOL! Well, I think I could get used to *sick Walter*.

SurlyBear: I don't think so. You would never know if it was me IMing you or

Mulder. You need him to offset my seriousness and me to offset his---goofiness?

Starscout: LOL. It better *not* be Mulder! I'll kill him.

Starscout: But you're right---I need the balance.

SurlyBear: So, that's what we are to you; balance.

Starscout: Of course. <g>

SurlyBear: Oh, did Mulder do something that I should be aware of?

Starscout: Nothing unusual---for him, anyway.

SurlyBear: Unusual is our Mulder.

SurlyBear: Anything--usual?

Starscout: Why? What did you hear? If this is about that monkey boy, I had nothing to do with it.

SurlyBear: Nothing. Just worried about that 'I'll kill him' line.

SurlyBear: Course, you did shoot him once.

Starscout: What a relief.

Starscout: Hey! I had good reason.

SurlyBear: I know, Dana. And I would have done the same to save his butt.

SurlyBear: Dana?

Starscout: Which is in constant need of saving.

Starscout: Yes, Walter?

Starscout: LOL! I'm still trying to get used to saying that.

SurlyBear: Do you ever have the feeling you spend your whole life saving Mulder? Not that it's not good job security and all and we never would have met otherwise, but we need to get a life, don't we?

SurlyBear: I find it easier saying your name, btw.

SurlyBear: We never would have met without him being there. Sorry, a little off balance today.

Starscout: Well, I don't think about it much. It's my job to watch my partner's back, as it is his to watch mine. And frankly, I feel better knowing it's me that's resposible for doing it. Remember---Alex Krycek was assigned to him once.

Starscout: And as far as a life goes, my career has always been my life. I never felt like I was missing out on anything.

SurlyBear: That's true. But I mean outside of the bureau.

SurlyBear: That's true too. But didn't you ever want to go on a date---where you didn't fall asleep in your soup.

Starscout: Well, it's true that I'd rather be more social, but the benefits of the job outweigh the drawbacks. Most of the time, anyway.

SurlyBear: Or had somebody to talk to who knew what you were going through?

Starscout: Walter, you crack me up! Yes, it would be nice. I honestly can't remember the last date I went on.

SurlyBear: You know, I've been pondering this idea for a while---about a once a month thing between you, me and Mulder.

SurlyBear: Bet it was the first year you met Mulder.

Starscout: Meeting outside the Bureau?

SurlyBear: Your last date, I mean.

SurlyBear: Yes!

SurlyBear: Or maybe once a week.

SurlyBear: Nothing formal

Starscout: Walter, I think we should open a file on you for your psychic ability. Yes, it was in the first year.

SurlyBear: Mulder has rubbed off on me.

SurlyBear: And so have you--you're Irish, right?

Starscout: Yes, I think that would be nice.

Starscout: Was it the red hair that tipped you off?

SurlyBear: Nope--it was the temper!

Starscout: LOL!

SurlyBear: You do know that only you and Mulder could get away with talking back at me. And that's only because I was protecting you and you two are my friends---the first friends I have taken a chance to make---in a long time.

Starscout: I think I'm pretty mind-mannered.

SurlyBear: Mild-mannered; is that what your trying to say?

SurlyBear: So--you're superman now?

Starscout: LOL! Yes

Starscout: Don't I wish! But then, Mulder would want to examine me

SurlyBear: Well, about the Irish comment---I bet there's a lot of psychic ability in you too.

Starscout: I'd have another file to add to the collection

Starscout: Well, I really don't believe in that.

SurlyBear: No x-ray vision---no bald-headed friend in the background.

Starscout: Ha! Maybe one

SurlyBear: Oooops, sorry---that's Superboy and Smallville. Or Clark and Smallville.

Starscout: Have you been eating?

SurlyBear: Ahhhh,that's right. I am balding and I shudder every time I see a commerical for hair growth. What's wrong with being bald? It takes less time in the bathroom?

Starscout: LOL! This is true.

SurlyBear: Have I been eating? Yes doctor; soup and some crackers.

Starscout: Good.

Starscout: What medication are you taking?

SurlyBear: Well, you know the old saying--Bald is beautiful. Wonder how long it takes Mulder to get ready?

SurlyBear: Nyquil and Dayquil.

SurlyBear: And not loving it---tastes like crap.

SurlyBear: Course, I would run out of the pills and have to take the liquid instead.

SurlyBear: Ughhh! Wouldn't wish that taste on CGB.

Starscout: From experience, I'd say about fifteen minutes. Five to wake up, five to shower, five to brush teeth, dress and walk out the door.

SurlyBear: You forgot about the hair?

Starscout: LOL! I would.

SurlyBear: But I'm betting Mr. Late-out-of-Bed does take just that length of time.

Starscout: Mulder's hair gets a three second brush. That's all.

SurlyBear: You're kidding me, right?

SurlyBear: You've never been in the washroom of the bureau, I hope.

Starscout: He's perfected the art of quick grooming. He has to ---think about how often he's late getting up.

Starscout: Of course not!

SurlyBear: I've seen him standing there for 15 minutes trying to get it right, when going to see Kersh.

SurlyBear: Mind you, I would be doing it too, if I had hair.

Starscout: But, I have been responsible for waking him so that we wouldn't miss our flight.

Starscout: Well, that was for Kersh. He hated the man, but the last thing he wanted was to give Kersh another thing to gripe about.

SurlyBear: A loud knock on the door and then "Mulder--we can't be late again. Skinner will kill us if we miss this flight." I can just hear you saying that.

Starscout: The attack on his ties was bad enough.

Starscout: Exactly

SurlyBear: LOL---I remember that time that he walked into Kersh's office, wearing his EBE tie and started to talk about EBE's.

SurlyBear: Kersh said the only EBE he ever saw was on Mulder's tie.

Starscout: That's Mulder's sense of humor. He likes to shake things up a bit.

Starscout: Quite frankly, Kersh is a moron. He knows less than he thinks and has no respect for anyone.

SurlyBear: And Mulder said, "Well, you weren't looking closely enough sir. With all due respect, they're all around us. And they look human so they can hide from us. Would they be good EBE's if they didn't?"

SurlyBear: Kersh kissed butt to get his job. And although I would have loved to have gotten it, I'm glad I didn't. Who would be around to protect you two if I had?

Starscout: But you have to admit that's a hard line to swallow. Would you believe it, if you didn't know without a doubt that it was true?

SurlyBear: Well, do you believe in God, Dana?

Starscout: Hmm--Inside dirt. LOL! I believe it, though.

Starscout: Yes

SurlyBear: Have you ever seen God?

Starscout: Not exactly, no.

Starscout: But I've *felt* him.

SurlyBear: So, then, where is the proof he exists?

Starscout: You're starting to sound like Mulder.

SurlyBear: I think Kersh's problem is that he has to see to believe.

SurlyBear: Thank you---I take that as a compliment.

Starscout: I think Kersh's problem is that his head is too far up the Director's ass to see anything else.

SurlyBear: ROTFLMAO!

Starscout: That's just my opinion, of course.

SurlyBear: Don't hold back, girl.

Starscout: Believe me, I won't.

SurlyBear: ITA, btw.

SurlyBear: Kersh is definitely not one to be trusted.

Starscout: Not for a second.

SurlyBear: As Mulder would say--the man is pond scum.

SurlyBear: And that's being conservative. You don't want to know the names he's used for the man, after a one on one session with Kersh. Sometimes I think the only reason I'm there is to referree those two.

Starscout: I hear enough when we're alone. Believe me, he's mellowed out.

SurlyBear: I bet you say enough about it too.

SurlyBear: I'm sorry I had to leave you two to the wolves, Dana.

SurlyBear: But I'm not sorry I gave Mulder that file.

Starscout: Well, a few unladylike things have passed these lips, I'll admit.

SurlyBear: The irish temper again.

Starscout: You had no choice, Walter. I would've done the same.

Starscout: You better believe it!

SurlyBear: I know. And I would have done it again.

Starscout: As you should.

SurlyBear: But I'm glad you guys bucked the restrictions and were able to save me.

SurlyBear: I was so damn proud that you did, even though it brought back rememberances of the times you bucked the system and I had to take the flack from up high. It was worth it, though.

Starscout: So was I.

SurlyBear: BTW, I'm sorry about that thing with the hearts and getting mad at you. I guess you just can't hold back the wind.

Starscout: It was never an option, Walter. We'd do it again.

SurlyBear: Thanks---friend.

Starscout: Well, that's all in the past.

SurlyBear: And you took it like a good soldier. Must be your father in you.

Starscout: Do you think you'll be back at work tomorrow?

SurlyBear: I'm sorry I never got to meet him.

Starscout: I'm sorry too.

SurlyBear: I don't know? Why?

Starscout: He would've liked you.

SurlyBear: I would have liked him too.

SurlyBear: I think he liked Mulder---didn't he?

Starscout: He never met Mulder, unfortunately.

Starscout: Another thing I regret.

SurlyBear: That's too bad.

Starscout: Yes, it is.

SurlyBear: I wished you could have met my mother and father. Maybe someday, you'll meet my sister.

SurlyBear: She's got that Mulder sense of humor down pat.

SurlyBear: Mulder and Megan in the same room---now that's a scary thought.

Starscout: You have a sister and she's like Mulder? We'd better keep those two apart!

SurlyBear: We'd have to be there, to offset the craziness.

Starscout: Ha! Great minds think alike.

Starscout: Definitely

SurlyBear: Hmmmm---should we sic the both of them against Bill? BTW---does Charlie really exist or is he a figment of your imagination?

SurlyBear: No, scratch that---I got a better idea. Sic both Megan and Mulder against Kersh. He'll go crazy and end up in a straight jacket.

Starscout: LOL! Charlie is in Europe. He's an artist.

SurlyBear: Then I could have Kersh's old job, you could have mine and Mulder could head up a new devision called *The X-Files*.

Starscout: I'd rather not even give the man that much attention

SurlyBear: An artist. So, he takes after your sister then?

Starscout: Well, he's a free spirit like she was, but though Melissa tried, she never could get the hang of painting or sculpting.

Starscout: I miss her terribly.

SurlyBear: It's the free spirit thing. I saw her once, when you were sick. She was a very interesting lady and I'm sorry she had to die. Dana, I'm sorry, really sorry, I couldn't have helped more.

Starscout: It was out of our control, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't have flubbed their mark.

SurlyBear: I know but still---you know, maybe she lives on in Mulder.

Starscout: I've never said that before. Not even to Mulder.

SurlyBear: Do you ever wonder if she had lived that maybe she and Mulder might have gotten together?

SurlyBear: Your secret is safe with me.

Starscout: I doubt that would have happened.

Starscout: Mulder is too preoccupied with the job. She'd get bored and move on.

SurlyBear: You think? I'm not so sure---likes attract too. But I guess it's moot.

Starscout: yes

SurlyBear: That's true---the first or second date broken would have been the end of that.

SurlyBear: Course, she might have gone along with him on the case.

Starscout: LOL! Definitely

SurlyBear: It must be hard though---not having somebody to talk to about girl things?

SurlyBear: I mean, you have your mother but lets face it, sisters share a unique bond.

Starscout: I still speak to Kathy. She's a friend from college.

SurlyBear: That's good. I still speak to a friend from Nam. His name is Jackson.

SurlyBear: He works for the CIA.

Starscout: That's great

SurlyBear: In fact, he was the man who opened up the body bag and said I was alive.

Starscout: CIA? Why does that make me nervous? LOL

SurlyBear: He's finally been able to go out in the field.

SurlyBear: No---he's a good guy.

SurlyBear: You would like him.

Starscout: That's wonderful, Walter

SurlyBear: He just lost a close friend.

Starscout: Maybe we'll meet someday.

SurlyBear: Maybe---he's close by.

SurlyBear: He's kept me sane and I've kept him sane too. In fact, I've told him about you.

SurlyBear: And he's told me about one of his friends at work, Terri. He says she can kick butt but good.

SurlyBear: I told him, you could take her on.

SurlyBear: It's funny how you can keep close with a person and yet, have to be secretive about the job.

SurlyBear: They're two separate things, I guess.

SurlyBear: I literally wouldn't be here today, without his help.

Starscout: I think I'd like to meet this Terri

SurlyBear: Well, I'll see what I can do.

Starscout: I think it's wonderful that the two of you have remained friends.

SurlyBear: I think it's the only tie I have left to Nam. I'm sorry, I didn't tell you sooner about that incident in Nam. I did tell Mulder the time he almost left the bureau.

Starscout: It's okay. It was a very personal thing. I understand.

SurlyBear: Thanks. Well, I hope we might share other personal things along the way too.

SurlyBear: Speaking of personal, I think we should get something spectacular for Mulder this year since we're friends because of him---got any ideas?

Starscout: You know, we might have eventually become friends but I get your drift. Present for Mulder? You know what's funny? With all his fascination regarding space, he doesn't own a telescope.

SurlyBear: You're right. We would have been friends but not as quickly without Mulder's gentle prodding. Hmmmmmm---a telescope. That's an excellent idea.

SurlyBear: And we could get together and buy it for him. I know of a perfect place to get it. Mulder's going to love this; every time he uses it, he'll be reminded of us and Smallville.

SurlyBear: You know, it's ironic on that show that the only person who owns a telescope is an alien---might he be looking for home? Even though he doesn't know where home is.

Starscout: LOL! I didn't know you were that big a fan!

Starscout: Sounds great.

SurlyBear: Listen--you watch one episode, you are hooked. Mulder was right about that.

SurlyBear: You never did say what eppy caught your eye?

Starscout: He has his moments. LOL!

Starscout: I don't remember the name, but it was the one with three tornadoes in the end, barreling down on Lana.

SurlyBear: Yes, the man is an enigma and definitely has his moments. One minute he's driving you crazy and the next, you just want to pat his back and say everything is going to be all right.

SurlyBear: Tempest!

Starscout: I haven't been able to watch the show since. Never home.

Starscout: What a fitting name!

SurlyBear: Or just nervous about going to Kansas.

SurlyBear: Vortex was great too.

Starscout: Ugh! Please don't get me started on the last time we were in Kansas.

SurlyBear: Actually---I like Kinetic and Crush the best.

Starscout: I still cringe when I see ground beef.

SurlyBear: I know---Mulder attacked a Scarecrow.

SurlyBear: Cripes---I forgot about the ground beef.

SurlyBear: Well, I won't be looking at meat for a long time now.

Starscout: I didn't. :: shiver ::

SurlyBear: So, you're a vegetarian now?

Starscout: Well, no. But I still don't like to see raw hamburger meat---not after watching that cow being chainsawed apart.

SurlyBear: Well, now I won't be eating it for a while either.

SurlyBear: I heard a rumor that you once ate a bug?

Starscout: It's funny---I have the strongest stomach---it's always the oddest things that manage to make me feel queasy.

SurlyBear: This from the person who ate a bug.

Starscout: Mulder talks too much!

Starscout: It was a slight of hand

SurlyBear: Give him a beer and he'll talk but only to a friend.

Starscout: great

SurlyBear: Don't worry---he's not a gossip.

SurlyBear: He's been hurt too much by gossip to be that way.

Starscout: I shudder to think what else he may have told you.

Starscout: This is true

SurlyBear: Nothing! Except...

Starscout: Good.

Starscout: What?!?

SurlyBear: I'm kidding!

Starscout: Okay

SurlyBear: Well---sort of.

Starscout: I was reaching for my cell.

SurlyBear: Nothing really embarrassing, Dana, trust me.

Starscout: Well, Mulder just has a big mouth, doesn't he?

SurlyBear: He just---well, he was worried about you after you lost Emily.

SurlyBear: That's why I tried to get you to take some time off.

SurlyBear: And there was that case with the haunted house.

Starscout: Oh. Walter, I'd rather not talk about Emily, if that's okay with you.

SurlyBear: I'm so glad both of you got out alive with that one.

Starscout: I'm still not sure what happened there, but I left feeling better. Strange, isn't it?

SurlyBear: It's okay---I understand. But, I have something to tell you---why I understood how you felt---really felt.

SurlyBear: But---we can talk about it later.

SurlyBear: Strange?

Starscout: okay.

SurlyBear: And if you ever need an ear of somebody to talk to about it---who's gone through something similar---I'm here for you, Dana.

Starscout: Yes. I should have been terrified, or at least shaken. But somehow I felt relieved

Starscout: Thank you, Walter

SurlyBear: Relieved that you didn't die---that is strange.

SurlyBear: You're welcome.

SurlyBear: You know---we're both saints.

Starscout: It was more than that. I can't explain it.

Starscout: A saint? Me? I hardly think so.

Starscout: Why do you say that?

SurlyBear: Ah---you put up with the Fluke worm thing, with some very interesting expense reports from Mulder (or would that be me) and you like the man for all his quirkiness (as do I) when others would have run from the room, screaming.

SurlyBear: You know, you're right. We're not saints---we're just smart.

Starscout: And lucky

SurlyBear: The others are fools. They refuse to look beyond Mulder's reputation. We did, and we are lucky enough to know Mulder for the brilliant man he really is. A diamond in the rough is our Mulder.

SurlyBear: The rest of them at the bureau are idiots.

Starscout: What a lovely thought.

SurlyBear: Would we have survived without him?

SurlyBear: Without him around, I'd still be scared to make new friends.

Starscout: We've definitely been enriched just by knowing him. Even if all our lives have been put into jeopardy at times, it's been worth it, getting to know such a gentle soul.

SurlyBear: That's true---and life would be boring without those adventures of his.

Starscout: I agree

SurlyBear: I'd be behind my desk---dying from boredom.

SurlyBear: You, cutting up dead people, thinking, "I need to get a life or I'll end up like one of the corpses here."

Starscout: I'd still be at Quantico, teaching pathology to know -it-all recruits.

SurlyBear: Yes---they would have no respect for you, would they. Not like Mulder and I.

Starscout: Well, you know how it is for teachers and instructors.

SurlyBear: Actually, one of the reasons we respect you so much is that you're a better shot then we are and can kick our butts. <g>

Starscout: Do you think so?

SurlyBear: You don't get paid enough to deal with students?

Starscout: LOL! Ain't that the truth!

SurlyBear: I know it's so--I've seen your scores.

SurlyBear: And I've seen Mulders.

Starscout: LOL!

Starscout: Enough said

SurlyBear: Well, it's just a good thing you hold onto your gun while he sometimes loses his.

SurlyBear: All right.

Starscout: Poor Mulder

SurlyBear: But then, he can think himself out of anything---even better than we can.

SurlyBear: So, you bring brawn and he brings brains. What do I bring to this triangle?

SurlyBear: And I mean that as friendship, not romantic.

Starscout: true

Starscout: Unending support?

SurlyBear: Thanks, Dana. Now I'm support hose. <g>

Starscout: LOL!

SurlyBear: I love to make you laugh.

SurlyBear: But seriously---thanks.

Starscout: you're welcome

SurlyBear: You know, I think you're the first woman I've ever been friends with. I bet Mulder can say the same too. You're like---one of the guys.

Starscout: Ha! Thanks. Actually, I take that as a compliment

Starscout: I think I'm going to have to cut this short. I have a load of laundry going and Italian take-out on the way.

SurlyBear: Well, considering where you work--that is a compliment. I'm sorry you have to deal with the *Ice Queen* thing. And that Mulder has to deal with *Spooky Mulder*. I have a nickname too, do you know it?

Starscout: You get some rest and keep taking your medicine

Starscout: what is it?

SurlyBear: The Surly One.

SurlyBear: I think it's because I have to deal with a lot of idiots.

Starscout: LOL! Hence the AIM name, huh?

Starscout: Well, it's fitting

SurlyBear: And I get frustrated. But then there's a light at the end of the tunnel---usually Monday mornings---when I deal with you two.

SurlyBear: I guess.

Starscout: There's the door now.

SurlyBear: Well, I'll let you get to your RL things and I'll try to get back to bed. As to your question before---I'm going back to work Monday---as if I've been away---I have my computer, and have been sending things to Kimberly---the real saint of this group---all week.

Starscout: Well then, I'll see you at work. This has been great, Walter.

SurlyBear: Enjoy the take out Dana. And we'll have to set up a time for you, me and Mulder to go to lunch.

SurlyBear: It really has.

Starscout: Now, you get some sleep!

Starscout: That'll be great. I'll talk to you later

SurlyBear: Really eye opening although I wish it was my nose opening, if you know what I mean.

SurlyBear: I will. You get some sleep too.

Starscout: LOL! I know what you mean

SurlyBear: Bye.

Starscout: Bye

SurlyBear: Take care of yourself.

SurlyBear: And I forgive you.

Starscout: You too.

Starscout: Forgive me? For what?

SurlyBear: For giving me this cold. If you hadn't,I wouldn't have gotten to know a bit more about you through the e-mails and AIMing right now.

SurlyBear: Silver lining in this cold, I guess.

Starscout: Oh! LOL. It was my pleasure.

SurlyBear: Take care, Dana. There's not enough people like you in this world. I'll be back soon enough, watching yours and Mulder's back.

Starscout: Well, I'm going to eat this Chicken Parmesan

SurlyBear: Before it gets cold.

Starscout: Thank you, Walter!

SurlyBear: Chicken soup. Now that sounds good.

Starscout: Yes. Talk to you soon

SurlyBear: You're welcome.

SurlyBear: Bye.

Starscout: Bye

The End.