By heidi


JC woke listening to the gentle beat of his lover's heart.  AJ was sprawled across the bed, legs spread apart, face smooshed into his pillow.  JC was constantly amazed that for such a small man, AJ demanded such a large portion of the bed, but he didn't mind since that meant that for JC to sleep comfortably, he just spread himself out over his lover.  Pulling away from the comfort of his warm pillow, JC stretched, enjoying the various popping of joints.  His body felt well used, and in a good way. 

For the first time in his life, he thinks he might have actually caught himself a lover who is worth keeping.  He allowed himself one last glance back over to his bedmate, giving into the urge to run his hand along the decorated skin, enjoying the contrast of his tanned fingers along the pale and painted skin.

"What time is it?" 

JC grinned.  AJ's face was actually inches from the large clock next to the bed but he knew his lover didn't want to open his eyes on the off chance he could sneak in a few more minutes of sleep.

"It's 8:30.  I told the guys I'd meet them at Joey's.  Brian had his tests," JC fluttered his fingers around as if AJ, who was still on his stomach, eyes closed, could see, "yesterday, and wants to blow off energy today by practicing."

AJ lifted his head, trying to force his eyes open.  "You're gonna practice this morning?"

Smiling at his groggy partner, JC couldn't resist and leaned down to kiss the offered nose.  "Yeah.  At least for a few hours.  I think Howie has a class tonight, so we'll probably play it by ear."

"You think the guys would mind if I tag along and take some pics?"

JC shrugged.  "Shouldn't see why not."

*****

Joey's family owned two establishments.  The first was Fatone's Italian Restaurant that Joey's grandfather had founded 46 years earlier.  Joey's dad ran the restaurant, and eventually, Joey would inherit it.  Joey's older brother Steve had opened a jazz club, Fat One's, three years prior, and it was there that the band practiced, usually early in the day prior to the club opening for the lunch crowd.  Steve was cool and allowed the band stay later if they needed the extra play time, but the group was usually finished early since Howie often had classes in the afternoon, and Brian frequently got the evening and/or graveyard shifts.  JC, who was the one member of the group who didn't have any actual outside commitments or obligations, was game to whenever.  Joey said he was easy, he just chose to think of it as accommodating.

With his camera bag slung over his shoulder, AJ looked over at JC.  "Is that all you need?  Because if you have more, I can help carry stuff."

JC laughed.  AJ was so cute, almost like a schoolboy offering to carry his girl's books to class.  "Nah.  I just have the guitar.  Everything else is already at the club.  It's just easier that way." 

AJ nodded and headed for the door.

*****

Practice proceeded much along the lines that JC had expected.  Brian's energy was out of control, as if it had been contained for over a year.  Then again, considering everything Brian had been through the last few years, it wasn't surprising that his friend didn't seem to have an ounce of concentration left. 

JC and Howie smiled to each other as they watched Brian play another prank on Joey.  The whole morning had consisted of the two trying to one up each other, whether it be in story or action.  Joey was always the best fall guy for Brian to focus his energy.  The Italian was laid back, and handled the often unwanted attention with ease and grace, and on a few occasions, gave as good as he got.  Brian had originally focused on Howie, but quickly learned that while Howie was often the most easy going member of the group, he could be down right conniving, as well as vicious, when he retaliated.  For some reason, Brian never really did much to JC.  Howie said it was because JC was just too darn sweet to want to torture, plus, with the people he dated, it would be like kicking a puppy after it'd been run over.

AJ prowled around the area, observing everything; taking so many pictures that JC had lost count of the number of rolls of film the photographer had used when he reached the teens.  And it appeared there wasn't an end to the photo taking anywhere in the near future.  JC enjoyed watching him at work, but this was the first time watching AJ at play without JC being the focal point.  If anything, AJ was focusing on the pranksters the most.

With a pleasant feeling running through him, JC smiled when Howie started to play a few random notes on his bass, finding a lick that he liked, and repeating it.  Catching onto the mood of the notes, JC joined, feeling the music sweep over him.

"Damn," The exclamation snapped JC's attention back to his surroundings, to where Joey was watching him and Howie play.  "I wish we knew someone famous.  Then we might be able to get us a contract or something."  Brian tried to hide a laugh, his eyes conveying something the others couldn't understand.  "What?  Don't tell me you've been holding out on us.  I thought we were like brothers."

Brian started laughing in earnest, giving up all efforts to hide his amusement.  "Sorry buddy.  Would you believe me if I said that I'm actually related to someone famous?"

"Riiiiiiiiight.  Related.  Suuuuuuuure." 

"Seriously, I am.  My cousin is known the world over.  And not only that, but he's famous in two entirely different fields."

"Okay, I bite.  Who's this famous cousin of yours?"

"Un uh.  If you want to know, you have to guess.  I think I've given you enough clues to figure it out."

Joey frowned at his friend, clearly not happy by the baiting Brian was doing.  JC smiled to himself.  It really wasn't a surprise.  If it had been any other day, Brian probably would have come right out and told Joey who his cousin was, but after several hours of playing around, Brian was in just too jovial a mood to make things simple.  And unfortunately for Joey, now that Brian has made his stipulations known, there'd be no talking him out of his decision.

"Are you sure he's famous?  I mean, what if I don't know him?"

Brian laughed.  "Oh, I'm betting that if you saw him, you'd recognize him."

Joey growled, but dropped the subject.  "Hey C, think you can remember what you were just playing?  I think you got something there."

*****

As JC and AJ walked back to the studio, AJ continued to take pictures of things that interested him.  JC had watched his lover for the last few months, trying to figure what exactly interested him, and so far he'd narrowed it down to everything.  He guessed that's what made a true artist -- the ability to see beauty where others see mere objects, and then being able to present them to the world.

Although, his inner voice preened, a certain guitarist seemed to be AJ's favorite subject.

For himself, JC was simply enjoying the gorgeous weather that nature decided to provide.  The air was on the chilly side of perfect with a slight breeze blowing.  Turning his face to the sun, he felt the rays kiss his skin in warmth.  He heard the clicking of the shutters move in rapid succession; the sound slightly closer from the previous pictures AJ had taken.  Opening his eyes, he could tell that AJ had taken more pictures of him.

"See anything you like?"  The photographer's full attention was centered on him, and he basked in the way AJ's eyes seemed to caress his body.

"Oh yeah."  JC's bones melted with the way AJ's voice was getting all husky.  "I just wish I didn't have a shoot to prepare for once we return to the loft.  Kevin's bringing over the new kid today for some practice runs."

JC sighed, remembering hearing Nick yell the information to AJ last night before the younger man had jogged out the door, leaving an amused Lance to stroll along behind.  From what JC could tell, Nick had two speeds, jogging and not quite jogging.  It could be tiring trying to keep up with the youth, but JC had to agree with AJ, Nick was definitely worth the exercise.

"How many has he got signed now?"

"Uh," AJ scratched at one of his tattoos, thinking.  "He's got Justin, of course.  Then there's the muscle boys."  JC smiled, thinking of the practice shoot for Nick, Andrew and Jeff.  For the life of him, he couldn't remember their last names, but he thought two of them were brothers.  "I think this is the first girl he's signed.  Name's, um," Snapping his fingers, "Beyonce, Yeah, Beyonce."  He shrugged.  "Or something like that."  The wry smile he shot towards JC added to the remnants of the previously melted bones.

"Uh, Pretty name.  What about Britney?"

AJ shook his head.  "She's still signed with The Firm.  The only reason he got Justin was because he was personally being managed by Fatima, and when she retired, she signed the little prima donna over to his boyfriend.  Not surprising since Kevin's the only one who can control him."

JC nodded.  "It's kinda a big risk what Kevin's doing.  Isn't it?"

AJ loaded another roll of film into his camera.  Looking around, he smiled when he saw a woman trying to shoo away a couple of pigeons that were following her.  "You think she knows she's got food falling out of her bag?"  He started taking pictures before JC responded.  "It's a bit iffy, kinda.  Managing is risky unless you got something big behind you.  That's something Kevin's got.  He's a known quantity in the modeling world.  And his first client is currently the biggest male model around.  That'll help a lot.  Then there's the trio," he chuckled as he continued to take pictures.  "I have no idea where he found them, but they got the looks.  They just need to learn the moves."

"Nick's got a nice smile."

AJ lowered the camera, giving JC an amused look.  "Something I should be worried about?"

JC snickered.  "Nah.  I kinda like where I'm at right now.  Plus," fluttering his fingers in the air, as was his way, "way too many muscles.  Probably get all squashed or something."

"Uh huh.  Okay."

"But you have to admit, he's got a nice smile."

AJ laughed, "Yeah.  He's got a brilliant smile.  I can think of several companies that would love to have that smile selling their products."

"You gonna tell Kevin about them."

Another chuckle.  "The day Kevin needs me to tell him who would want what to sell something will be the day that I give up photography and become an agent myself."

*****

JC sat in the kitchen of the studio, playing a tune that only he could hear.  It bothered him that he couldn't quite get the right notes, and the constant sneezing he picked up on the way home wasn't helping his concentration.  With a slight growl, he shoved his guitar onto the island, glaring at it a full minute before he realized he had an audience.

"What key was that you were playing?"

Looking up, he tried to smile, but he didn't think it really worked.  Kevin was leaning against the wall, seeming as if he didn't have a care in the world, but obviously watching him closely.

"B flat.  Shouldn't you be out there," he gestured towards where he could hear AJ talking in soft tones, coaxing the young model to move in ways that would sell a product, "I don't know, overseeing things?"

Kevin tilted his head to the side and studied JC for a moment.  "Something's bothering you.  You aren't usually this abrupt."

JC sighed rubbing his hand through his hair.  "It's this song.  I can feel it lurking around, waiting for the opportunity to be discovered.  But it's making me work for it."  Sneezing again, he grabbed for a tissue.  "Then there's this sneezing.  I hope I'm not coming down with a cold."

Kevin nodded before fully joining JC in the kitchen.  "You sound like my cousin.  I remember times when we were kids that he'd drive my aunt nuts by playing the same cord over and over again, looking for something that only he seemed to understand."  He grabbed the pad of paper that was sitting next to the refrigerator, and jotted down a name and a hospital.  "Actually, you should maybe go by and see him.  He's a doctor now."  JC could hear the pride in the older man's voice at the statement.  "But he likes to help people no matter their situation."  JC knew that Kevin was referring to the fact that he didn't have insurance, and didn't like to leech off of AJ's generosity.  "Check him out.  I'm sure Bri would probably give you an exam for free."

JC was taking a sip of lemonade when Kevin handed over the paper.  When his eyes saw the name, he choked, causing the lemonade to come out of his nose. 

Kevin quickly grabbed a couple of paper towels, blotting the liquid.  "That sounds worse that just sneezing.  Here, do you want me to call him up for you?"  He reached over for the phone, ready to dial the numbers.

"You're Kevin Richardson."  JC knew that sounded like the dumbest remark he'd made for the day.  He wouldn't say for the week, because Joey was always telling him that he'd never heard someone who could state the obvious like JC could.

"I thought we established that months ago."  Kevin's eyes were twinkling, so JC knew that Kevin wasn't irritated by his stupidity or anything.

"No, I know.  I mean," his hands fluttered around in the air, as if he could weave the words into existence.  "I grew up in D.C.  My dad worshipped you.  I mean, would you believe I actually saw you play like 3 times?"

Kevin blinked, then started to chuckle.  "D.C. huh?"

"Yeah, I mean, your Junior and Senior years, Penn games were on TV as much as the Redskins.  Maybe more.  Philadelphia really isn't that far away, so we kinda considered Penn as a local team.  Plus, you know the whole, enemy of my enemy -- dad hated Penn State.  And whenever he could get the time off of work, he'd get tickets, and we'd ride the train up for the game, then stay overnight, coming back the next day."  He knew he had started bouncing in his seat, but he couldn't care.  His dad would so freak if he found out that JC had been spending the last three months chatting here and there with Kevin Richardson.  Maybe he might be able to introducing them to each other at Chrismas when his parents came up to visit.  And Kevin had such good manners; mom was bound to like him, too.  "Um, Mom thought it was wonderful that dad and I had something to do together since we generally didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things.  But dad made an effort when it came to football.  Never understood I wasn't into football, but he always seemed to get all excited and stuff, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that basketball was more my sport, and, yeah, I'm rambling again."  He could feel the heat radiating off his cheeks as Kevin stared.  "Um, and even though he was really disappointed that you didn't go into the pros, I think he was hoping the Skins would get you, he thought it was incredible that you had it in you to follow your heart, and not let the general population push you around.  I don't know why I didn't make the connection before.  I mean, everyone who knew anything about football at the time knew you became a model."  Realizing he was going off onto another ramble tangent, JC snapped his mouth shut.

"Just kinda curious.  How did looking at my cousin' name clue you into who I am?"

"Brian mentioned he had a famous cousin, and that he was famous in two areas.  It's driving Joey nuts."

"JC, as in Joshua Chasez?  You mean to tell me you're Josh?  Shit."  JC liked the way Kevin cursed.  Whenever he did it, well, whenever it wasn't directed at Justin, JC could hear Kevin's Southern background leak out.  The words always seemed to be drawled out, with a slight twang to the pronunciation.  "I guess it really is a small world, isn't it?"

The two of them sat there a moment chuckling to themselves when Nick came walking around the partition.  "Hey Kevin.  AJ has a couple of questions for you."

As Kevin was leaving, he hesitated.  "When Bri ever had problems with a song coming forth, my older brother Tim used to tell him to try it in a different key.  Something about putting it in a different light allows the creativity to flow.  Gets rid of the roadblocks, you might say."

JC picked up his guitar, sneezed, then tried the suggestion, switching the song to G.  To his amazement, the tune floated to the surface.

*****

JC walked into Fat One's, humming his new song.  He hadn't figured out the lyrics yet, but with the tune written down, he had no doubt that he or one of the guys would come up with something.

Seeing Brian sitting at the bar drinking a soda, JC wandered over.  "How'd you do on the tests?"

"Josh, I've told you before, it'll take a while for the results to come back.  But I feel good about them." 

JC sat down beside his friend.  "Kevin said I should set up an appointment with you to have you look at a cold I think I'm getting."

Brian barked out in laughter.  "I knew you'd be the first to figure it out.  I was actually surprised you didn't know when I gave the clue the other day.  If I remember correctly, you had said that your dad used to be huge into football, and you would watch games with him.  I just assumed being from the East Coast and all, and dating a photographer, and not just any photographer I might add, you'd have it figured out."

"Needed a little more help.  He was talking about his cousin, Bri, who was a doctor.  He gave me your me your name.  He's really proud of you, you know."

Brian waved off the statement.  "Family.  It's to be expected.  Gonna tell Joey?"

"I don't think so.  Let him figure it out on his own, I did."  Brian gave him a mischievous grin as JC became serious again.  "You do know that he's branched into managing, right?"

"Well, of models.  We're a band.  Big difference."

JC shrugged.  "It's just an idea.  The guy's smart, that's for sure."

"Tell me about it.  Graduated summa, the bastard.  Set the standard for me to follow.  Not like having one cousin who's a big business lawyer wasn't enough."

"Let's see.  A lawyer, a doctor and a model.  Yup, all the grounds are covered."  They both chuckled as Joey walked up to join them.

"What are you two talking about over here?  Howie's got the amplifiers set up."

"Oh, you know."  JC shrugged.  "Was just telling Brian about this one guy who's having AJ do a bunch of shoots lately.  He's kinda cool."

Joey glared at him.  "You aren't thinking about stepping out on AJ, are you?"

"With Kevin?"  JC looked truly horrified with the mere idea.  "I like AJ.  Plus, I don't think Justin would appreciate me mooching in on his territory.  He'd totally bitch slap me."

Joey jerked his head in approval.  "Good.  You finally found one who isn't a total asshole.  I'd hate to see you screw it up.  Especially on some stupid model."

 JC considered correcting Joey, but decided that it would be fun watching when Joey figured out just whom he and Brian had been discussing.  But he was afraid that it'd take a while for his friend to figure it all out.  Which was actually fine with JC.  He could now see why Brian enjoyed teasing the Italian.

Following the other two, he headed for the stage where all their equipment was set.  It was odd how everything seemed to be finally falling together for him.

back to ndeep