Part 8


Walking across the quad, Kevin readjusted his backpack so that it sat more squarely on his back.  He was heading towards the drama building to meet up with Chris before heading to Bev's for dinner.

"Hey Kevin."  Kevin looked towards the voice calling for him.  Smiling when he saw Leslee, he held open his arms waiting for the hug he knew he would get.

Kevin loved football.  He really did.  But there was just something so exciting about being a normal student.  Well, as normal as the school would let him be after leading the football team to the number three ranking in the country.  He loved not having practice each day, but having the option to hang out with friends and go on dates.  He loved participating in the various groups he joined over the years, such as the dance groups, the environmental groups, even the business groups. 

Leslee was his favorite dance partner from swing.  "Hey you.  What are you up to?"

"Oh, you know.  School."  She gave a little laugh.  "Just checking to see if you'll be there Thursday night? 

Draping an arm around her shoulder, he continued on his trek towards the drama building.  "Yup.  Bringing Chris with me too."

"Chris?"  He loved how her ears always perked up when Chris came into the picture.  "Is he bringing anyone along?"

He smiled at the girl.  "Nope.  He also mentioned something about me not monopolizing you for the evening.  So keep your dance card open."   Her cheeks reddened, but the smile was more than enough to let him know she'd be looking forward to Thursday.

"I'll see you then."  She gave him a quick hug then jogged in the opposite direction.

*****

Kevin sat on a low wall while talking with various girls who had been progressively surrounding him in the ten minutes he had been waiting for Chris.  Finally he saw his friend walk out of the drama building.  "Yo, Chris."  Jumping from the wall, he said his goodbyes to the various girls before joining his friend.  "I saw Leslee on the way over.  She said she'd save some dances for you."

Chris laughed.  "Hope her feet are in good shape.  I plan to swing them off."

Kevin gave him a stern glare.  "That's my favorite dance partner we're talking about.  You treat her good, now."

"I was actually thinking of asking her out."  Chris looked at Kevin seriously for a moment.  "You think she'd say yes?"

Kevin dropped his arm onto Chris' shoulders.  "I don't think you'll have a problem there.  Now, let's get going to Bev's.  I told your sister I'd help her with her math again."

"Better you than me."  Chris muttered under his breath.  "Um, Kevin?"   His voice had become uncertain.  "Can I ask a favor of you?"

"You can ask.  What is it?"

"You know how I'm on the fundraising committee for the drama society, right?"  Kevin nodded.  "Well, we finally came up with a plan."

"Uh huh.  You need me to help set things up with it?"

"Well, um, not exactly."  Chris started to scratch at his face.  "You see, we've decided to do a fashion show."  He held his hands out, as if showing a title in lights.  "Fashion in Drama.  Catchy, huh?  Anyway, uh, the various members of the society are supposed to be the models."  Kevin raised an amused brow at Chris' ramblings.  "And if we aren't able to do the modeling ourselves, we're to find a proxy.  I was wondering if maybe youwouldmodelforme."

"Excuse me?"

"Would you model for me?"

"Why don't you want to model?"

Chris looked down at himself then looked at Kevin.  "Come on, man.  Look at me.  I am not exactly what you would call a perfect specimen.  I mean, who would want to buy something I would wear."

"I would."  Kevin said the words as if it was a simple fact.  "How about if you model, I'll model too."

"How about you model, and I design your clothes and do your makeup for you."

Kevin thought about it for a moment, deciding he really wanted to know what Chris would come up with.  "Okay.  I'll do it."

"Whoo."  Chris did a little shuffle dance on the sidewalk before returning next to Kevin.  "You just saved my butt, bud.  You know that, right?" 

"Naw.  You'd have done just fine without me.  But it's always good to help a friend."

*****

Kevin found himself standing on a pedestal while Chris took his measurements, being very theatrical about it.  Leslee sat to the side giggling at their antics.

"Now tell me again, why am I doing this?"

"Because you're my friend, and you said," looking at his watchless arm, "three weeks ago that you would do it.  And since you're a man of honor, you will."

Kevin muttered something.

"What was that?"  Chris, who was leaning over the table and writing numbers into a book, asked over his shoulder, unable to hide his smirk.

"I said, damn honor."

"That's what I thought you said."  Standing straight, Chris looked over at his friend.  "You'll look good, man.  Trust me.  I actually know what I'm doing."

Kevin, who had his arms held out straight to the side, lowered them, his posture relaxing.  "I know.  Just don't make me look all goofy."

"Naw, you'll look good."

Kevin looked over to Leslee.  "And what exactly did he talk you into doing?"

"Oh, I'm just helping with the background stuff.  Mostly writing little bits that will be read by the announcer as you sashay that sexy butt of yours down the walk.  Also learning lighting, just in case something happens and they need backup."  She smiled brightly.  "It's fun.  If someone falls, I can be sure that everyone sees it."  She blinked innocently at Kevin a couple of times before the football player started to laugh.

"I'll try to provide you with everything you need."

Chris walked over to his girlfriend, putting an arm around her waist.  "It's getting late.  I should walk you back to your dorm."

As she gathered her things together, Leslee turned to her friend.  "Thanks for not objecting to me hanging around your place, Kevin.  I really enjoyed spending time with you two."

Kevin gave her a cursory hug.  "You're welcome here anytime."

Chris ushered her out the door, before sticking his head back in.  "I'll be back."  Then gave a devilish grin, waggling his eyebrows.  "Maybe." 

The door closed, leaving a laughing Kevin.

*****

Kevin sat on the stage watching the chaos around him.  It was a week before the show, and everyone was rushing to get things done.  One of the girls in the drama society knew someone who knew someone in the fashion world.  She had agreed to come out for a week and help them with their show.  Kevin was currently watching as Lila Brown ordered people about.  Currently Ms. Brown was telling Leslee how the lighting should be done as the models walked down the runway, giving the clothing optimal appearance.  Leslee tried to follow what she was being said, occasionally asking questions.  Finally, Lila patted the worried girl on the arm.

"Don't worry about it, darling.  I'm sure you understand the basic concepts.  We'll be doing a couple of run-throughs, and if anything gives you problems, we'll work it out then.  Okay?"  Leslee smiled a little, and nodded.  "Good, good.  By the way, someone, an odd little man with braids, told me that you wrote the words for the show?  Is that correct?"  Leslee nodded.  "Marvelous.  Simply marvelous."  Suddenly Lila's eyes settled on Kevin.

"Oh my.  You are a handsome one.  Please tell me you're one of the models."

"He is."  Chris appeared out of nowhere, but considering that Lila had been talking with Leslee, Kevin was willing to bet his friend had been close the whole time.

"I hope you have some grace to go along with the looks.  Stand, stand."  Her hands moved wildly towards Kevin, obviously trying to show him that she wanted him to stand.  Getting up, he stood before her while her eyes assessed him.  "Can you walk?"

Kevin glared at Chris when his friend snickered.

Walking along the stage, the woman began to cluck her tongue.  "No, no, no.  That'll never do.  But there is promise.  What is your name, young man?"

Kevin knew he looked surprise.  He couldn't remember the last time someone actually didn't know who he was.  "Um, Kevin, ma'am."

"Oh, and manners.  Now Kevin.  I want you to walk the stage like you owned it.  You control it.  Can you do that?"  Kevin tried to walk commandingly, only to be told to stop.  "You're close, but it's not quite right.  Let me show you."  Lila strode purposefully across the stage, swinging her body as she went.  "Something like that, but maybe a little more masculine."

Kevin tried to remember the couple of times he'd seen fashion shows on TV.  With that image in mind, he moved across the stage, his gait determined.  "Oh yes.  That's perfect.  You're a natural.  Now can you turn to your left, then to your right?"  Kevin did as he was asked.  "Oh my.  Yes.  Lovely."  She fanned herself with her hand.  "You'll do quite well.  Yes."

Kevin looked at Chris, rolled his eyes.  "Is there anything else you need me for?"

"No dear.  Although I might ask you to demonstrate for the other models.  Yes, maybe that.  Oh my.  Why aren't you a model?"  The woman was still muttering as she headed off stage to find the director of the show.

Chris started to fan himself exaggeratedly.  "Oh my, I do declare."  Kevin hit him in the arm.  "Ow.  What'd I do?"

*****

The director ran around behind the stage calling out to various models.  "Anna, you're up next.  Then you, Dean.  Kevin?  Where's Kevin."  Kevin leaned back from the makeup table.  "Oh, there you are.  Hurry up.  You'll be following Dean."  Kevin nodded, and then sat straight, allowing Chris to finish what he was doing.

"You look so great, man.  I told you I'd make you look good, didn't I?"  Chris patted a little foundation onto Kevin's forehead, toning down the shine that was there.  "Okay.  That's good.  Go get in line before Maggie has a heart attack."

Kevin stood carefully, looking down at himself.  Kevin was dressed in black slacks and a black poets shirt.  Later in the show, he would be wearing a nineteenth century outfit from 'The Importance of Being Earnest', and then finally a bird outfit from 'The Magic Flute'.  He still hadn't figured out how he'd get Chris back for that one.  "You going out with Leslee after the show?"

"You are nervous, aren't you?"  Chris flitted his hands down the front of Kevin's shirt, wiping away imaginary lint.  "I told you earlier that the three of us are going out afterwards."

"Right.  Okay.  Um, do I really have to do this?"

"Sorry, buddy.  You already agreed.  And remember, Lila said you're a natural.  You'll do great.  Now go."  With that, Chris shoved him towards stage side.

Kevin watched as Dean strode down the catwalk.  Breathing deeply he looked over the crowd.  The drama society had hoped to be able to sell 300 tickets for the show, but someone had managed to get a picture of Kevin dressed as Hamlet and used it in posters around the school.  They sold over a thousand tickets to the show and had to move it to a larger auditorium.

"And next we have Kevin Richardson, dressed as the true Renaissance man, a modern-day Hamlet."  Hearing his cue, he began his walk, his step faltering a little at the shriek his name caused.  Blocking the noise from his mind, he recomposed himself.   Making his face devoid of any emotion, bordering on bored; he strode to the end of the catwalk.  Putting his hands into his pant pockets, he shifted to the left then the right, just as Lila had instructed him, then returned to backstage.

Reaching the backstage, he was met by Chris.  "Wow.  Now that was wild."

"No kidding.  Guess they really liked my outfit."  Kevin smiled, relaxing to his friend's humor.

*****

Kevin sat in the makeup chair waiting for Chris.  His friend had to check something out with the president of the society before they could leave.  Leslee had decided to use the time to make a quick trip to the bathroom.

"Mr. Richardson." 

Looking up, Kevin was surprised to see a stunning black woman standing before him, holding out her hand.  Instinctively he took the offered hand.

She smiled at him.  "My name if Fatima Robinson.  I'm with The Firm."

Kevin held his hand up.  "Sorry, ma'am.  I don't talk to agents.  I was of the opinion that was made perfectly clear in my profile."

The woman blinked at him a moment, then started to laugh.  "I'm sorry, I'm afraid there has been a misunderstanding.  The Firm isn't interested in athletes.  We're a modeling agency."

"Um, okay."

She smiled kindly at him.  "I understand from the myriad of girls who sat around me during the show that you're the school's quarterback.  I'm guessing by your response, you've had problems with agents before?"

Finally smiling, "Yup.  You're a pleasant change."

"Thank you.  Now, the reason I wanted to talk with you -- have you ever considered a career in modeling?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm a good friend of Lila Brown.  She called me last week and told me to come to the show tonight.  That I might be pleasantly surprised.  She didn't tell me who to pay attention for, but the moment you took the stage, I knew why she wanted me to come to the show.  You, Mr. Richardson, are a natural.  And with your looks, I believe you could be one of the country's, if not the world's, top models."

"I'm flattered, ma'am.  But I'm a football player."

She pulled out a card from her purse.  "That's a shame.  A handsome face such as yours might be ruined playing such a sport.  In any case, here is my card.  If you should ever change your mind, please, call me."

She handed the card to Kevin, then ran a finger gently down his cheek before turning and leaving.

"Who was that?"

Kevin blinked a couple of times before looking at Chris.  "A Fatima Robinson.  She's a modeling agent.  Lila Brown sent her."

"Man.  I knew I made you look good, but I didn't know I was that good."


Part 9