Part 6


Giving his hair one last swipe with his towel, Kevin grabbed his backpack and left the locker room.  Practice had been good.  Coach was working them hard, pleased with the team.  Because of Kevin's name and the record he lead the team to the previous year, the team had managed to recruit a few impressive high school players, along with a several transfers from other colleges.

Walking across campus, he waved to several people, stopping and chatting with a girl he met in his swing dance group.  After twirling her a few steps, he gave her a quick hug and headed on, making his way back to the apartment he and Chris shared just off of campus.  Technically, the apartment was Kevin's; financed by the housing funds the school gave him as part of his scholarship.  It took a little work on his part but, once again, he had convinced Chris to move in.

Kevin enjoyed this time of year.  It was the end of September, and the heat had broken.  Leaves were showing the first signs of turning, and the air had a hint of crispness to it.  Jogging up the steps, he swung open the front door before rummaging through the mail.

Life was just too good.

Entering the apartment, he saw his friend sitting at the table, books open in front of him. 

"So, what's the word?"  Giving a white braid a quick tweak on the way to the kitchen.

Chris waved a hand over his head in a mock gesture to ward off Kevin's teasing.  "No word yet, but I'm guessing we'll find out tomorrow.  Mr. Franklin seems to think I should do wardrobe with the way I've grasped the basics in textiles.  Who knew getting a minor in theatre would require so many odd classes?"  Kevin chuckled at his friend's expression.  "I'm sure I'm doing so well in that class because of all the time I spent making adjustments to all of my sisters' clothes.  Practical experience and all."

Kevin sat at the table with several ham sandwiches.  "I don't know why you didn't try out for a part in the play.  You'd have been good."

"Pffft, right.  It's all still too new to me to think about going on stage.  I'm really happy just experiencing it all from behind the scenes."  Sitting back in his seat, he watched his friend wolf down two sandwiches before speaking again.  "I never thought I'd actually get to be a part of this world.  Always a dream, never an expectation."

Kevin shoved over the last sandwich.  "You eaten yet?"

Chris laughed, picking up one of the halves.  "You know, you'll make someone a nice wife."

Hitting his friend on the shoulder, Kevin laughed.  "Shut up."

"So, how was practice today?"

Kevin settles back into his seat.  "It was good.  I think Jackson is going to make the starting lineup.  We seem to have a good chemistry.  It's like he reads my mind, always right where I'm throwing the ball.  You know?"

"Oh, like Montana and Rice?"

"I didn't think you watched football."

"I didn't.  Having a best friend who's supposed to be the second coming of Christ kinda changed the way I look at things.  I still don't know why you couldn't have been the next Michael Jordan."

Kevin rolled his eyes. 

*****

The auditorium was dark as various people worked on stage.  Kevin sat in the back with his cousin, Brian, who was visiting for the weekend.

"You say your roommate is a part of this?"  Kevin nodded.  "I thought he was a business major like you."  Kevin nodded again as he watched the director telling a pretty girl who was wearing overalls how he wanted the sets to stand.  "Then why's he doing this?"

"He's minoring in theatre."

"Why?"

"Bri, what are you gonna do when you get to college?"

His cousin, who was only a sophomore in high school, had his whole life planned out since he was 10 years old.  "You know what I'm gonna do.  I'm gonna be a doctor."

"Why do you insist upon playing the guitar so much then?"

"Because I like it."  Kevin raised his brow at his cousin.  "This is one of those lesson things, huh?" 

Laughing, Kevin pointed towards the stage.  "Just watch.  I want to catch as much of this as I can so I have a clue to what Chris is talking about."

Brian pouted.  "I can't believe you chose to do this while I'm visiting."

Kevin wrapped his cousin's head in a lock, and proceeded to give him a noogie.  "Only for an hour, bud.  Then I'll show you the sites."

*****

Chris flopped onto the sofa next to Kevin.  "Life sucks."  Kevin did his customary raising of a brow.  "It's just not fair.  I mean, I'm cute, right?"

"Adorable."

"I got personality."

"It oozes from you."

"Then tell me, why can't I get the girl?"

Kevin, who had been amused until now, looked closer at his friend and realized he was using humor to hide the hurt.  "What happened, Chris?"  His voice gentle and concerned.

"You know Anna Marie?  The girl in my management class?"  Kevin nodded.  "I asked her out.  She didn't laugh.  Exactly.  But it was close enough."  Kevin wrapped his arm around Chris' shoulder, pulling him in a loose embrace.  "I mean, I thought she liked me.  She was more than happy to use me for my brains.  And she laughed at my jokes..."  His voice trailed off.  Kevin started stroking his hand up and down Chris' arm while Chris leaned his head back, resting on Kevin's arm.  "I swear it's not fair.  You smile at a girl, and she's totally at your bidding.  I work my ass off trying to impress them, and they laugh."

"I don't know what to tell you.  If I were a girl, I'd be falling all over you, man.  You're one of the sweetest guys I know.  A sense of humor that slays me.  And the braids, they really do something for me."  This got a small smile from his friend, who looked like he was on the verge of crying.  "Seriously Chris, I don't know why they aren't falling all over you." 

Chris turned his head and looked up into Kevin's eyes.  "Really?"

"Yeah, really." 

Kevin wasn't sure who was surprised more, Chris or himself, when he leaned down and carefully pressed his lips to his friends.  The kiss was tender and sweet.

Chris smiled when Kevin pulled back.  "Thanks man.  I needed to know that at least someone finds me appealing.  There's hope for me yet."  Then he started to chuckle.  "But I gotta tell ya, man.  I'm straight.  Flattered, but straight."

Kevin grinned at his smiling friend.  "I know."

Chris returned his attention to the TV show that Kevin had been watching when he got home, settling back into the comfort of his friend's arm.

*****

The auditorium was full for the opening night of "Camelot."  Kevin sat with Jeff Halliday, who had also become friends with Chris, towards the back of the audience. 

"What did you say Chris was doing with this again?"

"He's working both wardrobe and makeup."

"Huh, imagine that."

Kevin laughed.  "Hey, if you had 3 younger sisters, you'd probably be an expert too."

*****

Kevin and Jeff worked their way around to the side of the stage and waited for Chris.  After about ten minutes, Chris and Michelle, the other makeup artist, came out.

"Hey Chris.  The actors all looked great.  That's because of you, yeah?"

Chris laughed, enjoying the attention Jeff was providing.  "Yeah, because of me and Michelle here."  Chris hopped from the stage and motioned Kevin over.

"You ready to go celebrate your first play?"

"Yeah, about that, um," Chris looked over Kevin's shoulder, and waved at Michelle who was talking to Jeff, but watching them.

"You got yourself a date, didn't you?"  Kevin was smiling at his friend, who had started to bounce on the balls of his feet.

"Yup.  It seems I'm irresistible.  Who knew it?"


Part 7