By heidi

~..~

It's not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me

~..~

Life was good.

Joey sat in the quiet room watching his friends. Lance sat on one of the sofas, computer in his lap, a smile on his face, no doubt planning his next step towards world domination. Justin sat on another sofa, playing with his Game Boy, making little whooping noises every few minutes. Chris was still getting over his break up with Dani, but he seemed to be improving thanks to learning a kata a friend had shown him the last time they were in Orlando. Currently, he was working his way through the final motions, giving a bow to an imaginary partner. And then there was JC, who was bouncing in the corner as if there were springs attached to his knees, a bundle of suppressed energy waiting to explode for the concert.

As for himself, he was on tour with his four best friends, doing a job that he loved (and was being paid an outrageous amount for), and his fifth best friend just told him he's gonna be a daddy.

Life couldn't get much better.

~..~

It's not far to never never land
No reason to pretend

~..~

Another mindless interview. The questions were old long ago, and beyond stale now. They entertained themselves by saying obscene things they knew the reporter would never dream of printing and giving each other a hard time. The reporter watched them with amused irritation, trying to get answers to the questions every fourteen-year-old girl in the country already knew. Chris, Justin and Lance did a comic routine. Chris would be the joker, Justin trying to emulate him as often as possible, while Lance was the straight man, setting up all their jokes. Joey was the comic audience, laughing at their antics, adding his own humor when Chris let him in. JC tried to actually answer some of the questions, only to set Chris off on a whole new direction.

Joey laughed, and watched, laughed and watched, finding himself focusing on JC more and more. He hadn't noticed it before -- while the rest of them presented an act that they showed reporters, it was an act that they grew into, constantly changing and evolving. JC, on the other hand, was still presenting the act that Lou had coached him through years ago, saying the same things, spouting the same ideas. And while he'd laugh at the others, and blush at some of the things they said, he didn't sway very far from his own script.

After the interview, Joey walked up to JC, swinging his arm around the other's shoulder and pulled him into a sideward hug. "You know, C, Justin's gonna be 20 really soon and Lance is already legal. You don't need to be the group dad any more." With that he gave JC a smacking kiss on his temple before running off and tackling Chris.

~..~

JC approached Joey on the dance floor, leaning in so that he could yell into his ear. "I'm heading back to the hotel, tell the rest when you see them, k?"

Joey held up a hand to stop him from leaving, whispered something into his partners ear, then turned back. "I'm a little tired too. I see Lance at the bar, so let's tell him and head on out."

When they reached the limo, Joey climbed in first then rested his head back, closing his eyes. JC sat next to him fidgeting.

"Joe, why did you say that to me the other day?"

He cracked an eye open enough to peer at JC. "Say what?"

"You know, when you made that comment about not needing to be the dad any more."

"Because you don't need to."

"Um, yeah. Okay, here's the thing. I don't understand what you're saying?"

Joey sighed, and sat up. "Look. When we first started, Justin and Lance were just kids. Chris and I tended to act like kids ourselves. And you -- you were forced to be the responsible one, because *somebody* had to keep us in line so that Lou couldn't jerk us around too much. But now there's no Lou. We're no longer responsible to anyone but ourselves -- no one to answer to but each other. We're at the top of what we do." His eyes softened as they met JC's puzzled gaze. "When I look at you, I see someone who worries about every word he says and the image he presents to the world. I see someone who isn't really happy. You're still struggling to get to the top. But Jace, we're at the top. And I want you to be happy."

JC nodded, but still seemed a little confused.

"Just, you know, think about it." Joey patted JC's leg, then returned to resting his eyes for the remainder of the trip to the hotel.

~..~

And if the wind is right you can find the joy
Of innocence again

~..~

They were preparing for the final dates of the NSA tour and Chris' foul mood seemed to be worsening. Probably because they were in California, and Dani was so close.

When they arrived in Los Angeles, the obligatory interview was set for the next morning -- and Johnny had suggested that all five actually attend it. Chris literally growled at Lance when he broke the news.

For the interview itself, Chris seemed to calm down, but his humor was still biting and sometimes hurtful. The guys all knew the cause of it and let his words roll off their backs. But the reporter wasn't prepared for such things.

Joey looked at the slightly horrified look on the reporter's face. This one had been nice, asking normal questions. She came with notes on each of the guys and tried to show actual interest in them, not trying to buddy up to them, getting sneaky with her questions like so many did. Joey felt kinda sorry for her, because Chris had made her totally flustered.

She was flipping through her notes trying to find something new to ask when JC, who had been quiet for most of the interview, spoke.

"I like art, you know, paintings and such. When I can, I try to go to museums and ... yeah." He had been playing with his hands and failed to notice how the other four had stopped their antics, and were now staring dumbly at him. "We were in Phoenix a few months ago, and their museum had a Monet exhibit. Managed to go to it. It was great." With that, he looked up and grinned at the woman.

She looked hurriedly through the bio for JC, looking for any reference of an interest in art. When she didn't find one, she began scribbling frantically.

Chris looked at Justin, then at Lance, who was equally as confused as he was, before looking at Joey, who was smiling at JC.

~..~

When the tour ended, JC disappeared for several weeks to visit his family in Maryland. When he returned for the New Year's party, the changes were more noticeable.

Justin sat next to him, his fingers playing with the longer, highlighted hair. "You're letting it grow?"

"Um hum."

"Why? You never did before, except at the very beginning when your hair was still kinda long."

"I like my hair long."

"Then why didn't you let it grow out before?"

"Lou."

"Uh, C," he hesitated, "Never mind. It looks good."

The smile JC gave him let him know he said the right thing.

~..~

Lance had been nervous about the Larry King show. Someone told him that Larry King was aware that he was gay and he was terrified that the interviewer would break the news on national television. When they arrived at the studio they were all introduced to their host, and began to settle themselves around the table. JC sat next to Lance, spending most of the show rubbing the younger man's back, trying to ease the tension.

Larry introduced the topic of dating. They all knew what he was heading towards, and as a group, they diverted attention to Justin and Britney and Chris' recent break with Dani. Chris further muddied the waters by making the claim that he and Lance were a couple. In the end, it was Chris they should have worried about instead of Lance. Larry was harsh to Chris, only making him feel worse.

When they got back to the hotel, Chris locked himself into his room, ignoring all attempts to draw him out.

"That was brutal." Joey walked into his own room, followed by JC, who simply nodded. "At least he didn't ask about Kelly."

At the mention of Joey's friend, JC started to bounce a little. "Have you heard from her lately?"

"Yeah, the vultures are starting to circle. I think we're gonna have to make the pregnancy official soon."

"No, I know that. I've seen the rumors on the internet." Joey raised a brow, a laugh dancing across his lips. "Hey, hang out with Lance for a while, learn the internet. It's fun." That got an actual laugh from Joey. "No, what I mean is, how is she? How's the baby? I miss seeing her. Them."

Joey's whole body melted slightly, as he thought of his girls. "She's doing good. Mom took her to the doctor yesterday and e-mailed me this." He rushed to his computer, turning it on, he showed JC the picture of the unborn baby. "Isn't she beautiful?"

JC stood behind Joey, wrapped his arms loosely around his friend, rested his chin on Joey's shoulder. "Isn't life just great?"

Joey laughed again, his eyes crinkling in mirth. "No doubt about that."

~..~

Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

~..~

The fight had been loud, but then again, they usually were.

The guys had been working hard on the album, JC and Justin particularly since they were both producing various tracks. The schedule had been a little hectic because they had to work their studio time around Lance and Joey's flying back and forth from Toronto. Then they had to start rehearsing for the tour.

Bobbee had been angry, feeling that JC was ignoring her. She showed up at the Compound, barging in on the rehearsal where Wade was teaching them new moves.

"Josh, we need to talk. Now!"

JC sighed, and followed her out of the room.

"Fifty says she saw the lyrics to 'The Game Is Over'."

Justin laughed. "Yo, I'm not touching that one. It's a miracle C kept those from her this long."

Joey watched the door, worried by the shouts he could hear. Bobbee often yelled at JC; he would take whatever shit she threw at him. But this time, he was actually yelling back.

After a few minutes, all noise ceased. Eventually, JC walked back into the room, his composure tense but stable. "Okay, you were saying we needed to move to the right on the beat?" He was looking at Wade, ignoring everyone's unsaid questions.

~..~

"So," Chris bounced a little in his chair, shifting forward, ready to give the punch line of the story he'd been telling for the previous 10 minutes, "The lawyer said, 'So, what's hanging, big boy.'" Looking around he saw that everyone just stared at him, so he started in on the story again, backing up a bit, and lowering his voice, and repeating, "The lawyer said, 'So, what's hanging, big boy.'"

Still nothing.

After two more attempts, Chris sighed dramatically and got up, pulling Lance's chair out from the table. Lance arched his brow in inquisitive amusement, waiting to see what happened next.

Sitting on Lance's lap, Chris again started in on the story, "The lawyer said," this time he only mouthed the words, while Lance said in perfect unison, "So, what's hanging, big boy."

Chris smiled smugly while waiting for a response. The only one he got came from approximately the area of the back of his neck. "That story made no sense."

The smile was replaced by a confused look. "You mean it was supposed to make sense?"

"Get off, you doof." Lance shoved Chris off his lap, but Chris was prepared and clung like a leech.

"I'll save you, Lance!" Justin took a flying leap and jumped on Chris, who was still sitting on Lance, drawing a distinctive "ooof" from Lance before the chair toppled over with all three boys. Chris and Justin began wrestling on top of Lance, who continued to make "oof" and "ouch" noises.

The reporter looked at JC who was laughing at the antics. "Are they usually like this?"

"Unfortunately," JC replied, still laughing. Eventually he took his eyes from the chaos on the floor, and smiled at the reporter. "I actually share a bus with Chris and Justin; there are times I wonder how I keep my sanity." He laughed when Justin let out an indignant, "Hey." And Chris added, "You don't."

"Then that would mean that Joey and Lance share a bus?"

"Yeah. Joey is the only one who can handle Dirk running around underfoot."

"And he doesn't care about all the rat-raisins all over the place." This time it was Lance who let out an indignant "Hey" before he hit Chris. "That's my baby you're talking about."

Joey laughed. "It's better than getting my leg bitten by that pug."

"He wouldn't bite you if you didn't constantly shove him out of the way with your foot. Dogs are people too, you know."

And before she knew what was happening, the reporter was witnessing a five-person wrestling match on the floor.

~..~

All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony

~..~

With only two shows left of the Popodyssey tour, Joey settled onto his bed, relaxing a moment before he reached for his laptop. He downloading his e-mail and smiled when he saw that he had one from Kelly.

"Good mail?"

Joey winked at JC, who was curled up on the next bed. "Yeah. Kelly is gonna bring Brianna and Tom with her for the final 2 shows."

"Really?" JC moved from his bed to Joey's, and began reading the message over his shoulder. "That's so cool. You guys can be this big," he waved his hand around, trying to think of what to say, "family type thing."

Joey was just thankful that Kelly had been able to find a guy who was not only in love with her, but loved her child, and was willing to share them with her best friend, who also happened to be Brianna's father and an international pop star. He turned his head so that he could see JC, and the happy look in his friend's eye. Kissing JC on the cheek, he said, "Yeah. A big family type thing."

~..~

The reporter studied the boys over her glasses as she considered various ways to get some new tidbit that the world didn't already know. Chris had JC in a head lock, giving him a noogy. Joey and Justin were doing something that resembled a tickling match. Lance was returning her gaze, his brow raised in a dare.

"So, tell me, what do you consider to be the funniest thing that has ever happened to you?"

JC struggled out from Chris' hold, his hair sticking out in all directions, lifting a hand excitedly as if in class. "Oh, oh, oh. I got a story."

That provoked so much laughter that Chris doubled over, his hand slapping the table. "C, that's the best joke you've told in ages."

"Hey. I can tell a story."

As if the situation was rehearsed, the other four boys said, "Uh... No."

"I tell stories all the time."

Chris looked at him skeptically. "Well, yeah, you do. If you can get through all the uhs."

Justin piped in with, "And the ums."

Lance added, "And don't forget the hesitations."

"Or the parts that you just leave out."

"Oh, and..."

Joey finally joined in. "Come on guys. He's able to tell stories." When they looked at him skeptically, and JC curiously, he said firmly, "He tells a story with every song he writes."

The smile JC bestowed on Joey was so bright, that all Joey could think was, "Oh yeah. I'm getting me some tonight."

Both missed seeing Chris roll his eyes.

~..~

And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find tranquility

~..~

Life was good.

Joey sat in the quiet room, watching his friends. Lance sat on one of the sofas, computer in his lap, a smile on his face, no doubt planning his next step toward universal domination. Justin sat on another sofa, playing with his Game Boy, making little whooping noises every few minutes. Chris was long over Dani, and after that Michelle, and had come to the decision that women were the tool of the Devil, deciding to give men a go. Currently he was performing the mating dance of the condor (which he claimed to have seen on Animal Planet) in some weird attempt to seduce Lance. And then there was JC, who was curled up on the sofa, his head in Joey's lap, sleeping calmly, a smile on his face as Joey combed his fingers through the long wavy hair.

As for himself, he was on tour with his four best friends; doing a job that he loved (and was being paid an outrageous amount for), his fifth best friend and their daughter were traveling with the tour, and the man he loved was by his side.

Life couldn't get any better.

~*~

author's note:  you probably have already guessed - this is a song fic.  the lyrics are from the song, Sailing - which can be found on the *N Sync album *N Sync.
 

back to ndeep