By heidi


Johnny passed around the itineraries for the European leg of the tour and waited for the expected reactions.  If he judged right, JC would be excited about performing in Paris, and would start to wax lyrical about all the museums they could all go to.  Lance would be pleased with London and talk about Diana, and how they could do a little tribute to her while there.  Justin would become excited about the stop in Berlin, since that's where he lost his virginity.  Joey would surely have something to say about Italy, and checking out the home country.  Chris was the unknown.  He always seemed excited about touring simply because it meant they were still a group, but beyond that, he'd never shown a particular favoritism to a country in the past.

"Ireland?"  Johnny smiled at the eldest member's reaction.  *N Sync had never performed in Ireland before and for that reason alone it had attracted Chris' attention.  "We wouldn't be performing at Slane Castle by chance?"

"Yes, you will.  You've heard of Slade Castle?"

"We're performing at a castle?  Like, where Kings and Queens used to live, and jousting, and knights?"

Chris laughed at Justin's sudden enthusiasm.  "It's cool, Jup.  I remember reading about it years ago when Bruce Springsteen played there.  The area by the castle is a natural amphitheater."  Chris started studying the itinerary more closely.  London was their first stop, then Ireland.  But after their British concerts, they didn't have to be in Paris for over a week.

"Is there any chance we might spend some extra time in Ireland?"  Ignoring the eeping that came from JC, he continued, "I mean, can we head over like right after the London concert and do some sightseeing, and maybe stay a couple of days after.  That way we could still get some quality time in Paris to visit the museums."  The pleased sound that came from JC this time indicated he was satisfied, probably more for the fact that Chris just locked the other three into going to museums while in Paris, and JC wouldn't have to struggle as much now.

Johnny studied the paper closely, making a few mental adjustments.  He had it set up so they would do some signings in London, and some radio shows, but there was no reason he couldn't move those to earlier.  It would mean that the boys would need to leave two days sooner, but he didn't think that would be a problem. 

"I think it can be arranged."  Studying the oldest member over the top of his glasses, he said, "Why are you so keen on being there?"

"I'm Irish.  I've never been there before.  There's things there I want to see."

"Gonna look for a pot of gold?  'Cause, I gotta tell ya man, all you have to do is look at your bank account now, and you'll see it."

Laughing, Chris shrugged.  "You got the wrong bank account, Lance.  I think you have me and JC confused."

"Hey, just because I'm frugal..."

"You're cheap, C.  We all know it."

"Well, okay.  But still."

Joey rubbed his knuckles into Chris' scalp before jumping away from the swinging arms.  "He just wants to know if there's more of his kind."

Lance's face remained mostly straight as he raised a brow.   "His kind?"

"You know, the little people."

"Hey, I'm not little."

Justin pulled Chris from his seat and stood him in front of himself, clearly showing the height difference.  "Keep telling yourself that, little man."  He laughed, patting the smaller man conciliatorily on the shoulder.

*****

Chris settled into the seat across from Lance, watching the younger man work away at his computer.

"Something I can do for you, Chris?"  When Chris didn't respond, Lance looked up, eyeing him speculatively.

"You got the itinerary, right?  I lost mine."  Lance hummed, indicating that yes he had it.  "Okay, so, we're doing all these interviews, photo shoots and stuff before the concert at Wembley, right?"  The movement was barely perceptible, but Chris saw the nod of agreement.  "And the concert, that's on Friday, right?"  Again, a slight nod.  "When does Johnny have us heading to Ireland?  On Saturday?"

"You're really excited about this, aren't you?"

"Yeah, I am.  When I was little, I discovered a book about Ireland.  It seemed so magical.  So cheerful.  Howie told me a couple of years back that he had visited there, and that the people were so friendly."

Lance settled further back into his chair, setting his computer aside for the moment.  "Why haven't you gone before now?"

An overbearing sorrow showed on Chris' face.  "I always wanted to go, either with my family or with a lover.  It just never happened.  Haven't had a lover for a while, and I could never get the whole family together enough to go."

Lance nodded, his own thoughts hidden behind the cool exterior that he displayed.  "But now we're going."

"Not quite the family I had originally intended, but it is the family I made for myself.  So yeah."  His eyes conveyed more to Lance than the older man realized.

Turning back to his computer, Lance clicked away for a moment.  "Johnny has us flying from London to Dublin on Saturday afternoon.  Our concert at Slade Castle is nine days later, on Monday."

"What does he have planned before the concert?"

The low chuckle that rumbled from Lance surprised Chris. 

"What man?"

"Did you even look at your updated itinerary?"

"Um..."  The blush was more of an answer than anything that might have come from Chris' mouth.

"All of our interviews take place over the weekend prior to the concert, as well as a signing on the day after."

Chris nodded as if that were overly obvious.  "But what about for the week between when we arrive and when we have to show up in Dublin."

"Johnny has rentals set up for us."

"Rentals?"

"Cars, Chris.  Cars."

Lance watched as Chris looked at him, his face blank.  "I don't understand."

"There are no set plans, Chris."

"He's letting us loose on Ireland?  That can't be right."

"Apparently that's exactly what he's doing."

Chris blinked.  "That just seems so..."

"People won't be expecting us.  If plans had been made ahead of time, they would.  He just said to be sure we took a couple of the guys with us no matter where we go."

"So, what you're saying is," bouncing excitedly, " we can go where we want."

"Yup."  Lance leaned forward, almost conspiratorially. "The guys and I have decided that you get to chose where we go.  Well, almost.  JC wants to go to Trinity College so he can see the Book of Kells.  But other than that, the itinerary is all up to you."

*****

Justin looked up at the building before him.  It was made of rock and wasn't all that big.  "You sure this is it?  I mean, this doesn't look like much of a castle to me."

JC looked at the guide book.  "Um, yeah.  This is it."

Climbing out of the SUV, Lanced looked up at the building that resembled more of a keep than a castle.  "This is it.  I found this site on the internet that provided a virtual tour of it."

"Why didn't you show it to me?"

Lance grinned sardonically.  "You're the one who said you wanted to kiss the Blarney stone.  Who am I to stop you from fulfilling your dreams?"

"You know something, don't you, Bass?"  The glare indicated Chris really didn't want to know.

Joey clapped his hands together, giving them a quick rub.  "Well, let's go.  Time for us to get us some of that Irish luck."

*****

Chris nervously climbed the narrow, slippery steps; eyes glued to where his feet were placed.  "Are you sure we're going to the right place?"

"Uh huh."  Joey lead the group up the dark stairwell, following the signs for the Blarney Stone.

"How can you be sure?  I mean, why would they stick a rock up at the top if they want people to kiss it?  Don't they want to share the luck?  What good would come from it being way up here?"

Justin followed behind Chris, knowing his friend was getting more nervous with every step.  "Chris, you're babbling." 

"I know.  I'm not talking anymore.  I'm good.  I'm not nervous.  I'll be okay.  Nothing will happen."  He continued to chatter in his nervousness, but now it was almost a whisper, as if hearing himself would calm his nerves.   

Fortunately he didn't hear Lance when the other man muttered about how it was only going to get worse.

As they exited the dark stairwell, Chris looked out at the scene.  They were probably at least 50 feet up from the ground, and the building was built like a large square, with a huge gaping open center, leaving only a narrow pathway to walk around the sides.  "Oh fuck.  I'm so dead."

JC placed his hands on his friend's shoulders.  "It's okay, Chris, if you want to turn around and go back."

Turning fear-filled eyes to JC, Chris shook his head.  "No.  I want the luck of the Irish."

Nodding, JC turned and started walking the narrow path that lead to the line to kiss the stone.  Justin quickly followed JC, leaving the other three behind.

Joey looked at Chris, trying to hide his concern.  "You can do this man.  Lance and I will be with you the whole way.  Just watch my back as we go, and talk all you want.  Lance will make sure you don't do anything by accident."

Chris looked over and saw Lance nod.  "You'll be fine."

"Okay.  I can do this."

Chris did as Joey suggested, keeping his eyes on the back of his friend's head as he talked the whole way.  Lance followed quietly behind.

Chris continued to babble until it was Joey's turn to kiss the stone.  With horror, he watched as his friend got down onto his back, the upper part of his body hanging over the side of the castle with only one person helping to brace him.  Joey grabbed onto a couple of bars like they were part of a headboard, and pulled himself out to kiss the bottom of the stone.

Turning to Lance, Chris grabbed his arm. "You knew, didn't you?"

"It was in the video.  I thought it was best you didn't know beforehand."

Taking a couple of deep, calming breaths, Chris turned to see that Joey was up and on the other side with JC and Justin. 

"I can do this.  I can do this."  He edged slowly to where he had to get down.  "Has anyone ever fallen before?"

The cheerful Irishman smiled reassuringly at Chris.  "Never on my watch, Laddie.  Don't worry.  I'll have a good hold on you."

"Deep breaths, Chris.  Take deep breaths."  Chris nodded to Lance, his face broadcasting his anxiety.

Following Joey's example, Chris worked his way through the steps, reassured as the man helping him spoke of the history of the stone and how Chris would experience a wealth of luck because he endured his greatest fears to kiss it.  Before he knew it, he was standing on wobbly legs, Joey and Justin holding his arms.

"I did it."

"Yeah man, you did."

*****

He knew he was driving his band mates nuts with his bouncing, but Chris simply couldn't believe he'd done it.  This was different than flying over the crowds in harnesses, or walking on catwalks that was only 15 feet from the ground, or even the standing on those pillar things they used during the Pop Odyssey tour.  He had hung upside down so he could kiss a stone -- the Blarney Stone.  No tech people had watched his back.  Just him, an amusing Irish guy, and his friends looking on.

He knew the other guys were getting tired of listening to him as their driver took them to their lodgings for the night.  Turning his head, he noticed that Lance was watching him, a peculiar look on his face.

"Wasn't that great Lance?"

"Um hum."  A slight movement let him know that Lance was agreeing.

"Haven't you always wanted the luck of the Irish?"

"Um hum."  This time Lance reached out, gently stroking the back of Chris' neck.  "But, fortunately for me, whenever I want luck, all I need to do is this."  Pulling Chris to him, he kissed his friend's on the mouth.  Hard.

Chris smiled and whispered, "I guess we'll both be having a lot of luck in the future."

back to ndeep