By heidi


He remembers the first time he saw him.  It was 1993 and he was visiting his dad.  They had been watching a basketball game -- Phoenix versus Philadelphia.  He remembers the teams simply because it was the season that Phoenix had traded 3 or 4 players for Charles Barkley and gone on to the Finals against the Bulls.  He doesn't remember much about the game itself but assumes that Phoenix won.  It was the half time report that had really caught his attention.  Bill Walton, Bob Costas and some guy who used to be a coach had been talking about a college football player, and about how he had pulled out of the NFL draft.  He probably wouldn't have paid any attention to it other than they had shown a picture of the player.

That one moment changed the rest of his life.

Justin was about to turn 12 at the time and was just starting to experience his own sexuality.  Being a typical boy, he'd compared himself to other boys in the showers after gym class as well as looking at girls for the previous couple of years.  He had also discovered what a great friend his right hand really could be.  But as he looked at the picture of Kevin Richardson on the TV screen, he knew that while he found girls to be pretty, it was boys that made his body become excited. 

He looked surreptitiously at his dad to be sure he hadn't noticed just how hard Justin had become.

That night, after his dad had gone to bed, he had gone through the sports pages of the week's paper and found several pictures of the quarterback.  Once he was back in bed himself, he did something he had never done before.  He beat himself while looking at pictures of a man.

A couple of years later he heard on the radio about how a modeling agency was touring the nation looking for fresh faces.  He begged his mom to drive him to Nashville so he could check it out.  The agent said that while Justin was pretty, he was too young for what she was scouting, but she had given his mother the name someone else.  No matter how much he had begged, he couldn't get his momma to go to New York to see Fatima Robinson.  "He was too young."  The next summer he hitchhiked his way to the big city.  If he was lucky, he'd be able to meet with Ms. Robinson.  If he was really lucky, she might be interested in him.  If he was exceptionally lucky, he'd meet the man he fell in love with three years earlier.

That day he was only really lucky.

Fatima loved the way Justin looked but was horrified to learn that he had come to New York without any supervision.  She called his frantic mother, told her that Justin was fine, and that she would do whatever his mother wanted.  When his momma showed up, Fatima offered the modeling contract.  His momma knew that if he had run away once to become a model, he'd do it again, so she read the contracts then signed.

Justin met Kevin five months later and knew without a doubt that this man was meant for him.

back to ndeep