By heidi



Los Angeles was a large city with a lot of fans.  Enough fans to demand that the Backstreet Boys perform four sold out concerts over a week's span.  

Kevin never really cared for Los Angeles.  It always felt too big, too flashy, and too fake.  Orlando, in many ways, was a smaller version of L.A., but it also felt like home.  Probably had something to do with the way the winds blew from the Atlantic compared to the Pacific.  That and the fact that Orlando wasn't really known for its crime rate.

He knew he shouldn't be out walking the streets alone, but Nick and Brian had been in full practical joke mode.  AJ was about ready to kill one, if not both.  Kevin had been mediating them for the last two hours and he had had enough.  Howie could be the responsible one for a change.

Swiping one hand through his hair, shoving the long strands from his face, Kevin tilted his head back and took a deep breath.  God how he missed fresh air.  Leaning against the building, he closed his eyes trying to clear the negative energy from his body.  The tour was starting to get to him, probably more due to the fact that Kristin had called off the wedding than the actual tour.

"Well, looky here.  I think we got ourselves a little pop to go with our dinner."

Kevin opened his eyes and stared at three men, probably in their twenties, but it was hard to tell from the ridges that forced their way down from their hairlines over their eyes, and the long sharp teeth.  Kevin blinked once, then twice.  His nanna had told him stories when he was a child about creatures of the night hunting down innocent souls from which to feed.  His granddad had told her to stop scaring the boy, but she was adamant that the beasts existed.  He never knew what to make of his nanna's stories.  Now he wished he had paid more attention.

"Oh shit."

One of the vampires lunged for him, but years of dancing and running put at least some of the odds in his favor.  He dipped to the side, allowing the creature to crash into the wall behind him, before darting to the other side, and making a break from the other two.  He rounded a corner and came face to face with yet another one.

Barely having a chance to avoid crashing, the vampire jumped over him, and staked one of the original three.  Kevin stood, mesmerized, knowing he should run but only watched as the forth vampire proceeded to beat away at the other two remaining ones, breaking the neck of one, and staking the last.  When he was done, he turned to Kevin, his face shifting back into the face of a handsome young man.

"Are you alright?  I've been tracking them all night and was hoping to avoid anyone actually getting hurt."

Again, Kevin blinked once, then twice.  "You saved me."

"Uh, yeah.  Like I said, sorry about that.  I usually don't show my other face if I can, but they pissed me off earlier and I was ready for a fight."

"Are you going to come after me now?"  Kevin kicked his inner self.  What a stupid question.  'Hey, hello.  Thank you for saving me.  Here I am, all ready to be supper.'  At least try to show an indication that you'll put up a fight.

The vampire flinched at the implication then shook his head.  "Not really into that."

Now Kevin was intrigued.  "And why would that be?"  He knew he had given the other man a coy smile and realized he was flirting.  'Great reflexes Kevin.  Get dumped by the girlfriend of 8 years, and try to pick up a vampire.'

Giving a hesitant laugh, the vampire shrugged.  "Got a soul.  Can't really put up with the pain and torture that would go with the killing."  Giving a brief smile to Kevin, the vampire turned to head down the alleyway.  "You should be safe now.  But it would be best if you head home."

"Not really in the mood to head back to the hotel and what awaits me there.  Can I join you?"  'What the fuck are you doing, Richardson?'  Kevin snapped at his little voice that actually hadn't been talking to him too much since he'd started actually being the responsible one.  'He's interesting.  I want to know more.'  He sighed when the little voice only responded with, 'It's your neck.'

The vampire stopped.  "It's not really smart what you're doing."

"I know.  My little voice is screaming three ways to Friday at me.  Can't seem to find a good reason to argue against it other than it feels right.  At least tell me your name."

"Angel.  My name is Angel."

Kevin smiled.  "Angel is a good name.  Kinda like a guardian angel."

"Yeah. Right."  Angel didn't sound convinced.  If anything, he almost sounded disgusted with the thought.

Kevin walked up to the vampire, laying a hand on his shoulder.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to upset you."

Angel smiled, although it didn't really reach his eyes.  "Just trying to make up for past sins is all."  Meeting Kevin's eyes, the vampire hesitated a moment before speaking again.  "It was nice meeting you," he paused, waiting for Kevin to say something.

"Oh, right.  Kevin."

"It was nice meeting you Kevin, but this isn't a good idea."

Kevin smiled, the smile on the sad side.  "It was nice meeting you too, Angel. Maybe some other time."  Without another word, Kevin turned and headed back towards his hotel.

***

Angel walked into his apartment contemplating whether to ride the elevator up to his office or not.  Killing the three vamps wasn't that difficult of a task, especially after they had infuriated him.  But he found himself brooding.  It had to be Kevin.  The mortal was clearly interested in him, and if it hadn't been for the curse, he might have considered taking his pleasures with the younger man.  Spilled milk, no point worrying about it.

Hanging his coat up, Angel headed for the elevator and took the slow ride up to his office where he found Doyle and Cordelia waiting.  He was almost frightened by the grin on the young woman's face.  Seeing Doyle a little peaked didn't seem to help his fears.

"Angel, you're back.  Doyle's had a vision."

"Wish I hadn't."

"Oh pshhhht."  Cordelia swiped her hand at the half demon.  "This is good, and you now it."

"Yeah, yeah.  It is good.  But you didn't have to see it."  

Cordelia got a dreamy look on her face.  "Wish I had."  A happy sigh escaped her lips.

Angel closed his eyes a moment before looking at Doyle.  "What did you see?  It obviously isn't a dire situation."

"Yeah, about that.  The vision, it wasn't the normal death and despair type of thing.  I think The Powers are letting us know that you can, um..."

"Have a happy," Cordelia chirped in.

"Excuse me?"

"The vision showed you in bed with another man.  In detail, I might add.  Anyway, after the deed, you were still Angel.  Angelus didn't appear.  I don't know if it's a one off thing, or whether this means you can do the deed with Buffy or not.  But from what I know, you can have something with this young man."

"He wouldn't be about six foot, long dark hair, intense green eyes, a goatee?"

"Yeah, that be him."

Cordelia chuckled.  "Almost sounds like Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys."  Angel stared at her.  "What?  Do I have something on my face?"  She grabbed for her purse, pulling out her little hand mirror.

"Kevin Richardson?"

"Yeah.  Of the Backstreet Boys.  They're in town this week for a bunch of concerts."  She hustled over to her stereo, pulling out a CD.  "That's him right there."

Angel took the offered CD case and looked down.  Millennium was the title, and one of the five young men who were walking forward was the Kevin he'd saved tonight.

"Any idea where they're staying?"  He passed the CD to Doyle, whose eyes instantly became round.

Cordelia finally seemed to catch on what both men were implying.  "No way.  Kevin Richardson?"

"I saved him tonight from the three vamps Doyle saw earlier."  He felt his knees starting to shake.  Doyle's visions had never led them astray yet.  And considering the source of the visions...  Angel sat down hard in the chair that Doyle had slid to him.

Cordelia stared at Angel, her eyes taking on a lost faraway look.  "You and Kevin Richardson?"  Reaching behind her, her hand fumbled on the desk until she grabbed a folder that she instantly used to fan herself.  "Yes, okay.  Let me think.  I believe I read in one of the industry papers that they were going to be at the Marriott."

"No, that can't be right.  He was out walking and was no where near the Marriott."

"Not surprising really, when you think about it.  I mean, they get swarmed by teenies all the time.  Where did you see him?"  Angel rattled off the approximate area.  "Oh, hey.  What's that new hotel that was just finished a few months ago?  It's right about there, isn't it?"

Doyle nodded in agreement.  "I bet you're right, Princess."  Looking at Angel, "Do you think he might be interested?"

"I think maybe so."

***

Kevin sat with his head tipped back in the limo that he and Howie shared to return to the hotel.  He knew he should have held the van for the other three, but someone had fed Nick sugar, most likely Brian, and the youngest member of the group had moved into hyper drive.  The thrumming behind Kevin's eyes just wouldn't take it again tonight.

As he closed his eyes, the vision of Angel drifted into place.  The tender look in the vampire eyes as he told Kevin that he shouldn't be doing whatever it was he was doing.  'Admit it Kevin, you were trying to seduce a vampire.'  He felt his features move into a scowl, something he'd been experiencing a lot the last two days.  It had become an automatic response from his little voice repeating itself over and over again.  What he didn't understand was why it had felt so natural to flirt with the other man.  It wasn't like it was something he normally did.  Over the years, he'd found himself attracted to the occasional man, but never enough to actually flirt.  'You never were available before, either.'  Mentally shrugging, Kevin gave the annoying voice that point.  But still, he'd never felt that feeling with Kristin either.

He wished he knew more about Angel.  Unfortunately he only had two more nights to figure it out and then they were off to Phoenix.

"Hey Howie.  When we get back, I'm gonna go for a little walk."

"Gonna take Ronnie with you this time?"

Kevin laughed.  When security realized that he had slipped out on them, they had spent a good amount of time lecturing him.  But there were times when walking around with a six foot five, three hundred pound man actually drew more attention than avoid it.  "Nah, gonna give them the slip again.  That's why I'm telling you.  Just in case they come looking for me."

Howie leaned over, placing a hand on Kevin's forehead.  "Huh, no fever.  Bone has been a bad influence on you man."

"Nah.  Just trying to work things out in my head.  Can't really think with Frick and Frack running around."  He could see the concern in his friend's face.  "I'm okay, D.  Just need some time to myself."

"Okay, man.  But be sure to take your cell with you.  I want to be able to get a hold of you at any time.  You hear me?"

Kevin smiled.  Sometimes it was nice to be taken care of for a change.  "I hear you."

***

Kevin strolled down the same road he had taken two nights before.  The only difference was, this time he had managed to get ahold of a couple of dowels from the road crew and sharpened the ends of them, providing himself with his own set of stakes.

As he rounded a corner, he found himself face to face with a vampire.  Just not one he wanted to stake.  At least not with a wooden stake.  'Oh please.  If you're gonna do this, can you avoid the tacky clichés.'  Kevin growled at his little voice, firmly telling it to shut the hell up already.

"Kevin."  The smile was hesitant, but Kevin had no doubt that Angel was happy to see him.  "I'm surprised to see you out at night.  Not that I'm not happy to see you."  'See, he is happy to see me' he told his little voice.  "But I would have thought that after the other night you'd be tucked away safe in your hotel."

Kevin pulled his hand out of his sweatshirt pocket showing a stake in his hand.  "I came prepared this time.  It's nice to see you again too, Angel."

Angel waved a hand behind him.  "I was out patrolling the area.  Never know when evil might drop by."  The vampire tried to look cocky, but it didn't quite work.  Kevin found himself more and more intrigued by the man.  

Walking up to Angel, Kevin whispered, "Need any help?"  He smiled when Angel shivered.

"Uh, no.  I was actually going to head back home."  Kevin sighed.  This was not how he wanted the night to end.  "Um, if you want, you could join me?"  That was definitely cute.  Kevin loved how the question ended with a little rise in the tone showing how Angel hoped Kevin would accept, but really wasn't sure.

"Lead the way."

***

The apartment was different:  dark, masculine.  Kevin moved around looking at all the different weapons hanging on the walls.  "Do you use all of these?"

Angel had moved into the kitchen area, opening a couple of cupboards, pulling things out that Kevin couldn't see.  "Yeah.  At one time or another I've used most of them.  There are things out there that most people don't know about that can only be killed by certain weapons.  Others, because of their size, require bigger weapons.  Stuff like that."  The vampire shrugged.  "It's just good to have them around just in case."

"Must be a turn-on for the girls."  He didn't know why he made the statement, but he felt like he had to know just how much the vampire dated.

"I wouldn't know.  Only a few women have been down here, and none of them have been what you would call date material.  They've either been," Angel hesitated as he looked for the right words, "friends, or people who I've helped who needed someplace to stay for a night or two."

Kevin continued his walk around the place and found himself really liking it.  It had an odd sense of hominess to it.  Looking up, he could see Angel standing, facing the sink, his shoulders tense.  Kevin walked up behind him, reaching his hands around the vampire's waist.  "I like your place.  I feel oddly comfortable here."  Angel slowly relaxed into the embrace, but not fully.  "You're tense."

Angel turned his head slightly so that Kevin could see part of his face.  A wry smile appeared for a moment.  "It's been a while since I've done something like this.  The whole vampire bit usually doesn't appeal to people except for those who are out for a cheap thrill."

"Is that what you think I'm doing?"  Kevin had to ask himself the same questions.  Was this what he was doing?  He didn't think so.  He was truly fascinated by this person.  Demon?  He didn't know.  He just knew that if it was another vampire before him, he'd be scrabbling for one of his stakes in a heartbeat.

"No.  I don't think you are.  Although you didn't seem too surprised by the whole vampire situation."

"You can thank my grandmother for that.  Nanna used to talk about those things that went bump in the night.  Granddad didn't appreciate her telling us the stories, but I think she must have encountered them in her lifetime.  What surprised me was you.  I wanted to know more."

"I'm really not that special.  I'm just a guy who happens to be a vampire."

"Most guys don't go out to fight vampires, trying to protect, what did you call them?  Innocent souls?  No, I think maybe you're special Angel, and I'd like the opportunity to get to know you."

Kevin lowered his mouth and placed his lips over what would be Angel's pulse point.  Feeling the shiver from the other man, he let his teeth nip at the skin, causing a groan.  Smiling, Kevin stepped back, bringing Angel with him.  The vampire turned within the circle of his arms, and brought his cold lips down onto Kevin's warm ones.  The sensation was different, but as the kiss continued, the lips began to warm.

The hands that had been on his hips slowly moved up, pushing the sweatshirt out of the way, allowing cold fingers access to his back.  The feel startled him, but the caress was so gentle that he couldn't help but lean into the touch.  His own hands moved without his conscious awareness until he realized that he was pushing Angel away so that he could remove the various pieces clothing the other man wore.  The shirt seemed to be made of fine silk, the color the same burnt red found in last tinges of a dying sunset.  The buttons slipped out of their confines one by one, eventually allowing the material to slither to the ground.

Kevin moved his hands to the belt, he felt his hands being moved to the side as Angel grabbed the hem of the sweatshirt, pulling the material up until Kevin's head popped through the opening.

"Kentucky.  Pretty state."

"Um hum."  Before Angel could continue, Kevin moved in again, pressing their bare chests together, sliding his lips over Angel's jaw before locking once again on his mouth.  As his tongue mapped the contours of Angel's, his hands returned to the belt, working it open, allowing him access to the pants.  Angel had good taste in clothing.  The materiel felt high-quality, but since Kevin tending to dress in jeans most of the time, he couldn't be totally sure.  With the final flick of his wrists, the fly was open, and the material slid down Angel's legs.  

Kevin missed some of what Angel did next, his focus was on the mouth that was consuming his own.  The vampire seemed to be claiming him, marking him from the inside.  Slowly, Kevin realized he was on the large bed, stripped of the rest of his clothing.  He writhed under the solid weight that moved over him, causing the sheets to quickly warm.  The vampire laid over Kevin, undulating his body to a rhythm that both men felt.  The torture was sweet, enticing, and eventually satisfying as Kevin felt Angel arch into him, adding a cold wet friction to the existing pressure he was feeling.  The extra stimulus was the final element needed to push Kevin over the edge.  Scrabbling for a stronger hold on the man over him, he pushed himself up to the dead weight on him, moaning the name Angel as he came.

As his heart rate calmed down, he opened his eyes to see that Angel was watching him with a peaceful look on his face.  He wondered why the vampire looked so happy, but before he could ask, he heard the distinct tone of his phone. 

His night was about to be cut short.  'Not now Howie.'  He reached over the side of the bed, rummaging around his clothes, finally finding the offending cell.  "Yeah?"

"Kev, I don't know where you are, but you better get your ass back here.  Security has figured out you're gone, and they are about to do a search."

"Shit.  Okay.  Do you think you can hold them off another half hour?  I just need to..."  He looked at Angel.  'What do I need to do?'

"Yeah, do whatever.  Just get back here as quick as you can."  Kevin snapped his phone shut.  He knew Howie had his back.  'It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't want to leave.'  He ran his hand along the smooth expanse of Angel's chest.  "I have to go."

Angel smiled, a hint of disappointment apparent in his eyes.

Kevin's mind worked furiously.  He didn't know how or why, but this wasn't something he was willing to end.  He would find a way to return.

back to knight moves page
back
to angel fic page
back to xover fic page
back to ndeep