A few notes on Kiss of Shadows

 

Hi! I don't usually do this – write a bunch of explanatory notes about a story I've written – but there really isn't any way around it this time. So here goes.

 If you've come here from somewhere other than the contents page, this is a sequel to my earlier, much inferior, story, 'Kiss the Steel'. Joe Dawson is dead, the victim of a vicious murder on Duncan's barge. Mac and Methos were lovers for a short time and then Mac split. (I still cop shit for that one :) The barge and their old lives in Paris are all gone. That's probably as much as you need to know.

Now for Kiss of Shadows... The more observant of you will notice a few things:

  1. That I completely ignore Endgame canon. That's mostly because Endgame was still a pipedream when this story was conceived and came out during the writing of it. I couldn't deal. I still can't. It's an awful movie (though Methos and Duncan are awfully pretty). If you haven't seen it – go read some good fanfic instead, you'll feel better.
  2. That I mention a lot of real places, events and a couple of real people in the course of the story. The war, the country and the political climate are as real as I can make them – the plot exists only in my own mind.
  3. The really observant will notice that while this story is supposed to be taking place in 2003, the war in Angola largely ended in 2002 with the death of Jonas Savimbi, leader of Unita. What can I say? They'd been fighting for 25 years when I started writing this, and being Africa I was fairly confident they'd still be fighting in 2003. Boy was I wrong. I'm glad to be wrong, rarely gladder, actually, but it does throw the story into a historical alternate universe. Which I can live with if you can.
  4. I did an absolute shitload of research for this story, but if you notice something I flubbed, anything at all, please let me know. I don't bite. Unless asked. That line forms to the left.

 Now go read the story...