Eligibility Rules


What are the Spooky Awards?
Is My Story Eligible?
Am I Eligible as an Author?
Can I Submit My Story?
How Do I Submit My Story?
What About My Work In Progress (WIP)?
What if I want to revise my story?
How many awards are there? What are the categories?
Can I vote?
My stories are listed as "pending" ... what does that mean?
Why is my story is listed as "ineligible"?
Help! I have no idea how to get my stories to ATXC!
Unanswered Questions
 
 

What are the Spooky Awards? | back to questions

The Spookys are the fanfic awards for the Usenet newsgroup alt.tv.x-files.creative (atxc). They are awarded annually to stories that are considered the most outstanding in their categories. The stories are nominated and voted on by the readers of atxc, and the winners are posted to the newsgroup and at Mark of X-Cellence.

The awards were started in 1995 and continued in 1996. They took a break in 1997. RedThunder resumed the awards in 1998 and 1999. I'm TexxasRose, and I took over in 2000. Lauryn bravely stepped in for 2001, and in 2002, I missed the fun so much I had to take them back again. Unfortunately, real life became too much and Diandra and Mrs. Fish bravely took over the awards for this year.


Is My Story Eligible? | back to questions

Before submitting your story, please ask yourself the following questions: If the answer to these questions is YES, then please submit your work to us at spookyawards2002@yahoo.com. If you are unsure of whether your story has reached atxc between October 2, 2001 and October 1, 2002, you can check with the atxc auto-archive, Ephemeral. If you are still unsure, go ahead and send us your story, and we can check for you.

If you submitted your story directly to Ephemeral and not atxc, then your story IS NOT ELIGIBLE. If you submitted your story directly to Gossamer and not atxc, your story IS NOT ELIGIBLE. To be eligible, your story must have gone to atxc.

The official rules are as follows:


Am I Eligible as an Author? | back to questions

There are three awards specifically for authors, and any writer who posts stories to alt.tv.x-files.creative can be eligible for these awards. So if you are an author with your own website, please send your URL to spookyawards2002@yahoo.com - even if you have yet to post a story during this eligibility period.

NOTE: All authors are welcome to make themselves eligible at any time. However, if we get to October 1, 2002 and you do not have any stories in the awards, your name will be removed from the eligibility list. In other words, if you don't have story here to prove that you are an author, you can't win the author awards.


Can I Submit My Story? | back to questions

*** PLEASE READ: To save time and space, there are a few changes in the submission guidelines. In past years, volunteers have spent hours searching for long-lost stories whose authors neither know about nor care about the awards. This year, as in 2001, you must submit your name and your story's title to be eligible for an award. That way, we can focus more attention on the authors who wish to participate. ***

If your story is eligible, there are two ways to submit it:

To ARCHIVE your story here:

To LINK your story here:


What about my Work In Progress (WIP)? | back to questions


What if I want to revise my story? | back to questions

If we are archiving your story and you would like to make revisions to it, please feel free to send us a revised copy. We will be happy to replace the old copy with the new version.


How many awards are there? What are the categories? | back to questions

There are 30 official categories in the Spooky Awards: seven length categories, six genre categories, six characterization categories, eight romance categories, and three author categories. In addition, there will be several sponsored catgories this year. A complete list can be found here.


Can I vote? | back to questions

Of course - voting is open to everyone. Voting for the Spooky Awards takes place in three phases:


My stories are listed as "pending" ... what does that mean? | back to questions

Mrs. Fish has to check the eligibility of the stories listed. If your story is listed as "pending" (if they are marked with a ), it simply means that Mrs. Fish hasn't gotten around to checking your story yet. Don't worry - you don't need to do anything. It will get checked eventually. Once Mrs. Fish has determined that your story is eligible, a  will appear beside it.


Why is my story is listed as "ineligible"? | back to questions

Stories marked as "ineligible" (with a ) were not found on atxc, or were posted to atxc before October 2, 2001 or after October 1, 2002. If this is the case for one of your stories, and you are sure that you posted it to atxc after October 1, 2001, contact me so we can figure out why your story is marked ineligible.


Help! I have no idea how to get my stories to ATXC! | back to questions


Unanswered Questions | back to questions

Still lost? If you couldn't find an answer on this page, you can e-mail your question and I will try to answer it promptly.
Home | Rules | Schedule | Categories | Titles | Authors | Links | E-mail