The Triple Agent Who Came in from the Cold
Book 1; Part 1
By: J Morningstar
Feedback: Please julie_morningstar@yahoo.com

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

~ Albert Einstein

From the cabin porch, he watched the dark clouds roll in from the west. An early snow, he thought, shivering slightly. When the storm passed, he would track a deer through the pristine white. A venison steak would make a welcome addition to his diet. Tonight, he would close off the two back rooms, and after supper, he would curl up in front of the fire and think over his plans. In the spring, he promised himself, he would find out what had happened to the rest of the world.

Some days, the promise of spring was the only thing that kept him going.

He has always considered himself a solitary soul, alone in the world. But in the two months since he'd been here, he learned what real aloneness meant. He longed for the sight of another human face, yearned to hear a voice other than his own. It was a startling realization for a man who had considered himself above the human emotions of need and want, emotions that could imprison a person who wasn't careful.

When he'd first arrived here, exhausted and hungry, his focus had been on regaining his strength and securing his mountain hideaway. But as the days turned into weeks, he began to wonder if being the last soul alive on planet earth was worth the effort he had put into surviving, into journeying here to this remote outpost deep in the Appalachian high country. When the utter and complete aloneness and the lack of hope that anything would ever change threatened to overwhelm him, he found himself hiking the steep paths around his little fortress, or turning to the low-roofed barn to commune with his animals. He had a tendency to brood, and melancholy was as much a part of his natural heritage as it was an intrinsic element of his temperament. Before the invasion and the plague, the day-to-day struggle to survive kept his demons at bay. But here in the solitude of these ancient mountains, dark thoughts and a multitude of regrets prayed on his peace of mind.

It was a dark and drizzly morning when he first made the promise to himself -- the promise to hold on till spring. He had awakened with a bruising hangover after spending the previous evening contemplating the taste of a 9mm bullet while downing several glasses of vodka. As the events of the night before came rushing back, he acknowledged how close he had come to ending it all, and felt real fear. So he had made an oath to himself. When the frost broke and the winter snows melted, he would hike out of these mountains, and find out how much, if anything, was left of the human race.

And then, if there were some spark of humanity left, he would find a way to help rebuild civilization. It was the least of what he owed.

The promise of spring was still months away as he took one last look at the threatening sky, then turned to enter the cabin, ready to hunker down and ride out the storm. But a movement across the valley caught his eye, and he froze, his gaze searching back and forth across the wooded hillside. There it was again, and this time he was able to focus on a purposeful movement between the trees. He mouth fell open in shock as he realized he was watching two people hiking down the side of the mountain. His absolute delight at discovering that he was not alone died a quick and necessary death as he understood that these two could be enemies.

In fact, it was more than likely that these two were exactly that; assassins come to hunt him down. He had no doubt that his continued survival would be a bitter defeat to some in spite all that had happened.

The impulse towards life that had been fading in his lonely solitude grew strong with renewed purpose as he studied the two intruders, one tall and solid, the other small and nimble. He quickly gathered what he needed to repel an assault, then settled into his lookout. As he watched, the figures stopped to consult a paper, probably a map. His eyes narrowed as he considered who else might know of the existence of this place. Suddenly one pointed directly at him. He crouched down instinctively, even though he knew there was no way the intruders could see him. The cabin and its out-buildings had been cleverly designed to blend into the surrounding environment. Early on, he had viewed this piece of ground from every angle, in every light. He knew it was well camouflaged. He himself had nearly stumbled past it when he first arrived here at the height of summer, despite the GPS readout that told him exactly where it was.

The man forced himself to relax, allowing years of training to take over. During the long afternoon, he watched as the intruders struggled through thick underbrush, forded icy mountains streams and stumbled across treacherous outcroppings of loose stone. Snow had begun to fall during the passing hours, but the man barely noticed. He had dressed in cold weather gear, he hands and feet cozy and warm, most of his face hidden behind a ski mask.

As the sun began to set, he started to fidget. It was long past the time he expected them to arrive in his little clearing. Finally he decided to take the offensive. Carefully, stealthily, he moved down the mountainside, pausing frequently to capture any sight or sound of his pray.

And there, at the edge of a highland meadow he saw them. The large intruder lay prone, the smaller one hovered next to him, shaking the fallen one's shoulders, talking to him. The man crouched down in the underbrush, trying to hear what was spoken. Suddenly, the kneeling intruder pulled his hood back, and the man gasped out loud. For this intruder had a head of auburn-colored hair. And when the intruder looked heavenward, as if beseeching God himself, that man could see intense blue eyes and porcelain skin.

The man dropped to his seat, too shocked to maintain his stance. Dana Scully was here, on his mountain. And she wasn't alone. The thought gave him pause for one moment, and then he was on his feet.

Damn the risk. It would be good to gaze upon the face of another.

**********************

She looked up at his approached, but didn't flinch. Her gaze was wide and unfocused, and she seemed unsurprised at his sudden appearance. He recognized the look of exhaustion she wore, he seen it in his own reflection more than once. He looked down at the man lying before him and swore softly. Of all the people she could have dragged to this mountain hideaway, she had to bring Walter Skinner. The thought that the two of them had somehow survived and were traveling together was both intriguing and disturbing. He pushed those thoughts aside for a time when he could peruse them at length. The AD was in bad shape and needed attention now. His lips were blue and he shook uncontrollably.

Scully snapped out of her stupor to speak. "He carried me across the river. He's going to die if we don't get him warm."

The man gazed at her intently, then nodded. "I'll be back," he said.

A half hour later he returned, leading a packhorse which pulled a travois. Between them, Scully and the man rolled Skinner onto the travois. Then the man turned and lifted Scully onto the horse's back. Behind the ski mask, the man's eyes widened in surprise. The red head was clearly pregnant. He pushed aside the questions that he wanted to ask, and concentrated shepherding his flock to the warmth and safety of the cabin.

In the small clearing in front of the cabin's porch, the man coaxed a shot of whiskey down Skinner's throat. It roused him enough so that Scully and the man could lead him into the cabin. He left the two of them in front the fire while he tended to his horse. He returned to find Scully, rosy from exertion, struggling to rid an unconscious Skinner of his sodden jeans. He quickly doffed his outerwear and joined her, looking up when heard her gasp.

"It's you." she accused, her laced with shock and anger.

The man smirked. Scully, it seemed, was quickly reviving from her fugue state. From beneath thick dark lashes, deep green eyes twinkled back at her. "Alex Krycek, ma'am. At your service."

*********************

 
Continue on to Part 2