HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO
CHAPTER TWO: A Dream Come True

PART 2/3

The approaching river of light and music brought him back to the present. He knew the truth about the slaves was somewhere between the two versions, but he always feared that it was closer to her nightmare than his weak explanation. And here he was planning to distract her again, to protect her from the realities of the lives of those not so fortunate as herself.

*She's grown now, love. You have done well protecting her, but one day she will learn the truth* His late wife's voice was as clear in his ear as if she were sitting next to him. It brought a tear to his eye, which he tried to wipe away before anyone glanced at him. He wasn't quick enough, for he soon felt Kaneesha's hand on his arm.

"Father? Is everything all right?" Her eyes sparkled in the moonlight, a joy in them overshadowing concern for him.

"Everything is just perfect. I was just remembering your mother, how much you remind me of her." He sniffled, trying to keep his emotions in check. "I didn't realize how much I still miss her."

His confession was true. He had taken many women, mainly young serving-girls into his bed, but none had filled the void in his heart. He just realized that none would and maybe no more were needed for he had the youthful, vibrant image of Notissa sitting by his side. An urge to touch her in a most unfatherly manner flared and he did nothing to put it out. He reached out and touched her cheek, feeling the soft, satiny skin beneath his fingertips. Her breath quickened slightly, her eyelids closed, laying long black lashes on reddened cheeks. One hand traced a path to her mouth, a thumb pressing softly against closed lips until granted entrance inside. It was suckled like a mother's breast, a warm, wet tongue exploring the surface. His other hand traveled down her neck, past the necklace, to find a rounded mound covered in silk, a pebble that soon turned into a hard peak under his fingers. He felt Kaneesha pull away, breaking the physical contact but not the emotional connection that still linked them. She was looking at him, flushed and frightened but aware of what he wanted.

"No Father. I won't." A low whisper so as not to draw attention.

"Anything you want is yours. Just ask." He leaned in close, breathing his promise in her ear, tongue flicking out to caress a jeweled earlobe. "Just one night. That's all I need." He had made a similar pledge to a grieving ten-summers old child days after the accident that had claimed her mother, his beloved wife. Although she had not begun bleeding, she was showing traits that would soon turn every male head in desire toward her developing body. Blossoming breasts, broad hips below a narrow waist, a well- rounded behind that just begged to be held and caressed.

It had lasted only two nights. He quickly discovered that he could not be satisfied by such a young girl and had turned to the older house-slaves who were only too eager to please their Lord and Master.

But now, sitting beside him, nervous and jittery as her colt, was a full-size replica of his wife, who would now be able to fulfill his fantasy filled dreams.

"I'll let you have him." His hand was now on her thigh, stroking the flesh beneath her gown, edging closer to her groin. She tried to close her legs, denying him entry. "The one that caught your eye, your gift from the Gods." He felt her take a breath and hold it, considering his offer. "He'll still have to be branded of course, but after that you can do whatever you please with him." He smiled, feeling her exhale, trembling legs relaxing in submission and knew he had won.

The procession had reached the inner gate, a dazzling site of fiery torches, and glittering horse-drawn carriages. Lord Gareth and Lady Kaneesha adjusted rumpled clothing and composed themselves to greet their guests. Kaneesha knew what she had agreed to, but the reward was just too good to be passed over. She would go to her Father´s bed, lay down beside him and let him do whatever he pleased. But in her heart and mind it would be Fox holding her, kissing her, burying himself deep inside of her. She had enough practice visualizing him in place of Morten, what would one more night matter?

One by one the carriages pulled to a stop in front of the low platform where they sat. The occupants were helped out by the healthiest-looking, most attractive slaves, young boys and girls yet to reach adulthood, dressed in red linen tunics that barely covered bodies glistening with oil and scented with the finest perfumes. The visitors would be well aware that they were offerings from the hosts, to be taken and enjoyed for the duration of the festivities.

Lords and Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses, young men and women, heirs to the thrones of neighboring kingdoms came forward in pairs or individually to honor the House of Carteria and its rulers on such a memorable occasion. She lost count of how many times her hand was lifted to a strangers lips and kissed. So many bowed heads, a few covered with the thick black or brown or red hair of youths whose kisses lingered and who gazed up to meet her eyes. One reminded her of Fox, the same shiny brown hair, strong jaw and prominent nose. But his eyes, though hazel flecked with green and gold lacked the spirit and intensity and warmth of her pet. She smiled politely, trying to hide her disappointment and greeted her next guest.

He was a shriveled old man, the Duke of Neeh, what little hair on his head was sparse and gray, almost white. He held her hand too long, his sloppy wet kiss staining her glove, his wrinkled gray eyes going straight to her bosom and staying there for a painfully long time. She shifted uncomfortably, and seeing her discomfort, her Father distracted the elderly man's attention by talking about the latest breeding techniques or something. She didn't take any notice, just grateful for her father's intervention. It wasn't as if the old Duke was starved of female companionship. In line with his people's tradition he had a harem of wives, six in all, each dressed in lavish gowns of the finest silks and satins except for the last, a tiny figure in plain brown, her face and identity hidden behind a black veil. Kaneesha thought she recognized the shade of green that peered from beneath the covering as a girl she hadn't seen for many years.

She leaned forward, hoping to get a closer look, a confirmation but the other wives blocked her view, and then another hand raised hers to another set of lips. When she looked up again the women had been escorted into the castle. She was sure however that it had been Valerie, one of her childhood companions. The Gods really were smiling down on her today.

Finally all the guests had been welcomed and acknowledged. Many had brought their own slaves and these were sent off to rooms and suites with their masters and mistresses belongings. A few nobles went to freshen up after their long journeys, most taking their pick of the available body-slaves.

On her father's arm, Kaneesha led the remaining guests into a large ball room with well-stoked fires and large jugs of wine and cider, which servants quickly passed around. As soon as she could, she left her father's side and headed for a couple of women her own age, away from boring men's talk. They were the girls she had grown up with, gone riding with and talked of meeting handsome men who would sweep them off their feet.

Lady Bonita, a girl of extraordinary beauty, her flaming red hair tumbling in wild waves of curls down her slender body, ending above a tiny waist that flared to wide hips and buttocks, barely concealed by an almost transparent silver gown that left nothing to the imagination. Eyes the color of sapphires darted around the room, flirting with everyone they met, man and woman, noble and slave. A few held her gaze before turning away, some in disgust, most overwhelmed by the air of sensuality that seemed to hang around her like a mist, a shimmering cloud of animalistic sexual desire. Her reputation as a witch was well known throughout the territories, many of those present had approached her secretly, under the cover and anonymity of darkness and hooded cloaks, for potions and spells. She, of course, knew their identities, knew even days ahead of their impending arrivals, thanks to her special tools, a solid gold tripod upon which rested a brass bowl filled with water from a sacred spring, she could see the thoughts of those around her even before their owners thought them. She would sometimes meet them halfway up the overgrown path that led to her secluded shrine, holding in her hand the very combination of herbs and seeds and flowers that would suit her visitors´ needs.

In stark contrast to Lady Bonita was a quiet, shy woman a couple of years older than Kaneesha. Duchess Valerie of Neeh, the youngest of the six wives married to the old Duke who had groped Kaneesha earlier, stood quietly to one side, her dark brown gown loose-fitting and simple, her black hair hidden beneath a black turban that included a heavy lace veil that left only her eyes visible. Her green eyes showed the happiness at being reunited with her best friends for the first time since her arranged wedding so many years ago. Bonita had greeted her warmly, embracing her large form in open defiance of those around who would not acknowledge Valerie's existence. Her dress was specifically designated for a woman in the last months of confinement, a woman who had previously failed in her only duty-— to bear male heirs for her husband. Her last three pregnancies had resulted in only female infants, an insult and major embarrassment to her husband and her family. That she was even permitted to leave the Duke´s castle was against his people's tradition. On the morning of the Duke´s departure, he had mysteriously come to her sleeping-chamber, a glazed far-away look in his eyes and told her to get a servant to pack a travel-trunk. He had rested one arthritic hand on her swollen belly, caressing the stretched exposed skin with a tenderness he had never before shown, before kissing her and walking out the door. Only when she saw the glint in Bonita´s eye upon entering the ball-room did she know who to thank for her unexpected attendance. She had thought her friends had forgotten about her once she had been wed to the man older than her father's father and taken away to his distant kingdom. She had been allowed no contact with her former home and family and friends for the last 5 seasons, her childhood, one of playing and exploring gone forever. The old Duke had quickly planted his seed in his virgin child-bride, then proceeded to ignore her in favor of the more senior wives, only one of whom had shown her any kindness.

"I see the old coot got my message," Bonita whispered, as she summoned a slave to her side with just a flick of her hand and helped herself to a glass of sparkling white wine. Valerie chose apple cider, feeling braver about disobeying her absent husband's rules of food and drink in the company of Bonita and the approaching guest of honor. If the child she carried was not a son then it was the Duke's right to banish her, even to order her death for being unable to fulfill her wifely duties. She could be dead before the next double moon, so she had decided she might as well enjoy herself tonight.

Kaneesha finally made her way towards Bonita and Valerie. They curtsied her as she approached, in a giggling parody of protocol, a stream of M'lady's and Your Highness filling the air with high pitched laughter. She returned the gesture, feeling light and happy and content.

"Oh, Valerie, I didn't expect you to be here, but I'm so very happy that you are. I've heard the most horrid things about the Duke, I can't imag.."

"It's all right, Kaneesha." Valerie interrupted, not wanting to spoil such a joyous occasion with her own troubles. "I'm pretty much left on my own, which suits me just fine."

She reached beneath her cloak, extracted a small parcel and handed it to Kaneesha after placing a soft kiss on her forehead. "It's not much, but I wanted you to have something to remember me by."

Kaneesha unwrapped the present, revealing a hand-embroided handkerchief. A chain of green leaves and soft pink flowers had been sewn around the border. In the center was a depiction of three young girls with different features and yet as alike as sisters sitting by a small pond. The blonde-haired girl was plaiting the coal black locks of the older girl, while the girl with hair the color of fire fed them both with ripe grapes.

The gift brought a tear to Kaneesha's eye. The scene was the last time they were all together, just days before Valerie's betrothal. She hugged Valerie, barely able to control her emotions. "I'll treasure it always, Val. Those were such precious memories."

Bonita joined in the embrace, an incredible bond of togetherness and harmony flooding her soul, banishing for now all bad thought and feelings. Before breaking away, she pushed a velvet pouch into Kaneesha´s hand as she whispered into her ear. "Just a little something so you can celebrate in style later. We wouldn't want you getting into trouble now, would we Neesh?"

Kaneesha didn't need to open the pouch to check it's contents. A mixture of herbs and honey that would protect her from becoming pregnant to a slave. Bonita was the only person who knew how intimate she was with Morten, knew of Kaneesha's carnal desires, indeed had introduced her to the many delights another body could deliver, regardless of gender.

Bonita's cryptic comment reminded her of her other present that had been delivered just that morning. She had forgotten all about him in the elation of seeing long-lost friends. She looked around for a slave she could send to Morten for an update on Fox's condition. Before she could summon one, Lord Gareth gestured her to his side. It was time to lead the guests into the main banquet room for a feast the size of which had not been seen since her Father's coronation.

A few young men turned to look her way, hoping to catch her eye and as she suspected her hand as well. They wouldn't even approach her, just ask Lord Gareth for her hand in marriage, regardless of her feelings in the matter. One or two had visited recently, taking her for romantic moonlight carriage rides to one of the secluded lakes near the castle. Before Fox, she might have even considered them handsome, letting them hold her hand and if they were especially gorgeous, allow them explore her body more intimately. But since her first vision of Fox, any other suitor was just not up to standard, not worthy of her affection. She had only be able to achieve physical relief of her desires by fucking Morten as she imagined Fox making slow, sensuous, never-ending love to her mind, body, soul and heart.

She linked arms with her father to begin the procession under an honor guard of Carterian Knights, their gleaming swords raised high in salute.

Lord Gareth leaned close to whisper in her ear. "Eat well, sweetheart. I'm feeling especially ravenous tonight." His alcohol-drenched breath assaulted her senses, causing her to regret her earlier agreement. She wondered if perhaps he would be too drunk to enforce his wishes, but realized the wine and cider had only fueled his fantasies. Thanks to Bonita she had protection from the more serious consequences of her deal.

A glorious sight greeted the assembled guests as they filed into the massive room. It had been transformed into an indoor garden, complete with massive trees and flower filled bushes and shrubs. Along one wall a waterfall rambled its way down a miniature cliff, collecting in ponds and cascading over moss covered rocks. Lit torches placed randomly around the room created dozens of rainbows, casting shadows and highlighting hidden groves. In a "clearing" in the center, ivy draped tables sat in two large semi-circles facing a raised dais adorned with candles and flowers and wreaths. Two solid gold thrones stood side-by-side awaiting the Lord and Lady of Carteria.

When everyone had been placed before a setting, the trumpeters heralded the beginning of the feast with a rousing blast of music that echoed throughout the room. Slaves quickly served their assigned guests from a range of side tables. Whole sides of beef and lamb and pig were carved from spits that rotated above roaring fires. Live lobsters and crabs and mussels were plunged into boiling pots of water and pulled out minutes later, sweet and tender and juicy. Delicacies such as chilled monkey brains and sweetbreads were devoured by the bucketful. For the less adventurous there were never ending plates of fruits and roasted vegetables, and fresh bread rolls of every shape and size. Jugs and carafes were constantly being replenished with wine and rum and cider and cold water.

A continuous hum of conversation filled the room, bursts of laughter frequently drowning out the music being played by a dozen wind and percussion instruments at one end of the room.

Kaneesha ate at her father's side, one of his large hands frequently stroking her leg under the cover of the table. She struggled not to cringe at his caresses, not wanting to draw attention to her discomfort.

She sought out Bonita and Valerie, finding them deep in discussion with two young men, Bonita's natural charm enabling Valerie freedom to relax, away from the rules and protocol of her condition that normally marked her as an outcast. She had removed her veil to eat and her face shone with a lightness and glow that warmed Kaneesha's heart. She silently thanked Gareth for not forcing her into an arranged marriage, allowing her freedom to develop and fall in love with whoever should steal her heart. However she knew that it was expected of her to marry pure and noble blood, a young healthy male to give strong children to carry the Royal name into the future.

The torches had burnt low, the fires just smoldering coals when another musical fanfare drew everyone's attention to the Royal table. Gareth had stood, a golden goblet in one hand, his other resting on his daughter's naked shoulder. He waited whilst glasses were filled and fragrant cloths passed around to clean fingers and mouths. When he had the room's attention, he gestured for Kaneesha to rise beside him.

"Lords and Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses, thank you all for making the journey, some of you traveling many sunsets, to celebrate my fair daughter's birthday. Many of you have watched her grow from a young girl into the beautiful woman in front of you. My greatest regret is that her mother did not live to see her only daughter develop into the fine woman she is today."

The night's festivities had hardened his groin as well as his tongue. She could feel his erection pressing against her inner thigh as he turned her to face him in a long-lasting embrace. Kaneesha blushed at such a public display of affection, so unlike her father. She was relieved when he released her and turned once again to face his audience.

"Please raise your glasses as I toast Lady Kaneesha of Carteria. May she continue to honor and enrich our lives with her beauty and kindness."

As one, everyone in the room lifted their glasses in a rowdy toast. Cheers and blessings and salutations filled the air, though some guests stood unsteadily, having to be supported by servants.

A Carterian Knight approached Gareth and spoke softly in his ear. Gareth straightened at the news and spoke to the guests who had yet to succumb to the sleep-inducing effects of too much food and drink.

"I have just been informed that a special surprise awaits us in the eastern garden, one I am told is not to be missed." He led Kaneesha down from the dais and out onto a huge balcony overlooking the largest of the formal gardens that surrounded the castle. The guests still able to move gathered outside, surrounded by exotic flowers and ornate ponds and fountains.

Kaneesha spotted her friends in the crowd below and longed to join them, having had her fill of her father's company.

As if reading her thoughts, Gareth spoke. "Go, my love. Have fun and celebrate with your friends. I shall see you later." He placed a fatherly kiss on her cheek, but his hands roamed her body, reminding her of his intentions.

She left quickly, almost running for the stairs and out of the castle to find Bonita and Valerie talking and dancing with the men they had met at dinner.

"Well, I don't think I'll eat till the next full moon." Bonita was saying as Kaneesha approached. Her suitor held her in strong arms, lavishing kisses and caresses on naked skin, of which there was plenty.

"I don't plan on letting you out of my bed till at least then," he said. He was tall and slender with curly brown hair and gray eyes. Dressed in the maroon and black of his homeland, his clothes fitted tightly enough to show off a well-muscled body to perfection, broad shoulders, well developed chest, firm stomach down to long, strong looking legs. Kaneesha eyed him appreciatively, Bonita always had the finest taste in men and never had trouble attracting the ones she desired.

Valerie had an admirer of her own. They were seated on a stone bench, his blue cloak around her shoulders warding off the late night chill. He didn't seem put off by her condition nor by the fact that she was married. Shoulder length blonde hair framed a handsome face that held Valerie's gaze. No-one had showed her such attention in a long time, least of all her own husband. Vincenzo held her hand gently in his, telling her about his life as an artist, traveling from village to village, creating paintings and carvings in return for food and lodgings. She longed for him to kiss her, to feel those long, slender fingers tracing her skin, to feel the blood rushing through his veins as it coursed through her own. But he was the perfect gentleman, asking about her home and family, asking if she was tired or hungry or thirsty.

"Well here's the birthday girl at last."

Kaneesha was pulled into the circle of people that seemed to always hover around Bonita.

"Decided to grace us humble peasants with your presence, M'Lady?" Bonita was in a very giddy mood, high on life and love and romance and it resonated from her, infecting those in the vicinity with happiness and relaxation.

Alec was definitely under her spell, considering he didn't usually find women even remotely arousing, preferring the male of the species to warm his bed at night. *Well, a change is as good as a rest-leave* he thought. It wasn't as if she lacked any vital parts for he had never and would never allow anyone to dominate him in bed, indeed she had more openings to be explored and penetrated.

"So what's the big surprise?" Valerie asked, resting against Vincenzo, her sore back and aching ankles adding to her general tiredness.

"I have no idea," Kaneesha replied.

All of a sudden the night sky exploded in a cacophony of light and sound and color. Everyone jumped as a chorus of thunder-like booms shattered the quietness of the evening. Stars of every color appeared in the sky in clumps, before exploding and shooting downwards, trailing tails of glittering light in their wake. Tubes shaped like giant arrows were somehow hurled into the night sky, blossoming like gigantic flowers in full bloom.

Oohs and aahs floated up from the crowd in amazement, some clearly thinking they were under attack from some mysterious foe. When no sky-fire actually lasted to reach the ground, they relaxed enough to enjoy the show.

The display soon finished, leaving the crowd murmuring in amazement at the strange abilities of their hosts. Gareth took full credit, even though he had no idea how the light had appeared. He assumed this was the work of his absent Master-At-Arms, Rajiv. He didn't know whether he should reward or punish him for such a show, his heart had yet to stop pounding in his chest, sweat running in rivulets down his face. He turned to compose himself only to find himself facing the very man who had caused his shock.

"A little warning would have been appreciated, Rajiv. I'm not a young man any more and neither are many of the guests." He sat on a couch, accepting a tall glass of water from a concerned servant.

"My apologies, M'Lord. But what a display to show them." He swept his hand out over the crowd, most of whom had started to disappear into the castle, to their rooms and suites to sleep off the night's excitement. "By moonrise tomorrow, word will have spread the length and breadth of Carteria and beyond of how powerful Lord Gareth is. Able to control fire and stars and light. No-one would be foolish enough to wage war against us." Rajiv looked extremely proud of his work, convinced that he had the old man where he wanted him--- impressed by his work and willing to break the long-standing injunction on forbidden items (tools of the devil, Gareth had called them) to maintain his reputation as a strong monarch over all the surrounding lands.

"But we know what can be done with such things. The terrible things that my grandfather did to his own people, as well as his enemies, things that I vowed in my coronation oath would never happen again." Gareth struggled to his feet, leaning heavily on two slaves, his head spinning and beginning to pound inside his balding skull.

"M'Lord, just the threat of using such measures, just the knowledge that we have them is enough to keep the more ruthless warlords in line. What you have seen tonight is only the start of what I can achieve, with your support and wisdom there are many more possibilities." He followed his Lord down the wide stone corridor towards the wing housing the Royal suites.

"And what happens if others should learn of such things, men who would use them without compunction, without thought of the consequences of abusing such power?" Gareth turned to face his advisor, a stern look on his weary face that said he would not change his mind.

Rajiv chose his reply with care, knowing much depended on the outcome.

"M'Lord, the secrets to the display shown tonight are safe, their location known only to myself and my most trustworthy lieutenant. When we stumbled on Lord Thomas' tomb searching for more coalfields, it was obvious that no-one had entered since it was sealed at the time of his burial." He didn't mention that there had been strange marks on the floor of the stone tomb, places free of dust and sand, as if objects had once stood there. He could not tell what the missing items may have been, just squares and rectangles of varying sizes, with no clues to their contents or purpose. But there had been no visible sign of disturbance, no tell-tale hand or footprints. Even the massive sculptured piece of stone that blocked the only entrance had not been interfered with. Indeed there was much debate as to how such a large item could have been maneuvered up the steep side of the small mountain into which were carved the tombs where all preceding generations of Royalty had been interred. Rajiv could only hope that the people who had ransacked the chamber had no idea of what they were stealing. Perhaps the pieces were just items valuable only for the jewels or gold that covered most of the remaining artifacts. The simple clay jars that contained the mysterious black fire-powder had been found in a secret crevice covered by the many bones of slaves who had been interred alive to continue serving their dead Master in his afterlife journey; a couple of them broken, their contents spread over the ground, of no interest to the graverobbers.

Knights standing at attention stiffened as their Lord entered his chambers, pausing to inform them to admit Lady Kaneesha later. They relaxed as the heavy oak door shut. With Gareth's inebriated condition plain for all to see, they would have a quiet couple of days while he recovered.

One guard relaxed more than the others. Lieutenant Vidkun, Rajiv's "most trusted" hurried off to relay the good news to his lover. They had succeeded in ransacking the tomb of certain items without being detected. He didn't know how Imram had achieved the deception and he didn't care for he had been promised rewards of untold power and wealth in return for his loyalty and silence. Their plans could proceed without interference. Little did he know that behind the heavy oak door, other plans were being made that would throw Lord Jaxtar's dreams of domination into turmoil and eventually plunge all of Carteria and the known world into war.

******

Kaneesha led Bonita into the stable to show off her father's gift, the frisky black colt that would have been her heart's desire if not for the God's own gift that currently lay in the small hut next door to the stable. The horse was shifting nervously in his stall, still agitated from the sky-lights and thunder. As happened that morning, the colt settled when Kaneesha came forward, a piece of apple in offering in an outstretched hand. She felt soft lips nuzzling her hand and stroked the silky mane in return, being rewarded with a quiet whinny.

"He certainly is a fine animal, Neesh. I fear he won't take kindly to the bit and the whip. There's fire and spirit in this one," Bonita remarked, feeling the energy radiate from the animal. "Though not as much as the other who you seek to tame, whose heart belongs to another."

Kaneesha whirled around in surprise at Bonita's words, wondering who had babbled about her pet, her Fox.

"It's all right, no-one has said anything. Anyone with the sight can see your bond with the stranger. Your secret is safe with me and luckily those who have the gift are few and far between. But be careful, there are those who would take such a link and use it for their own purpose." A glazed look clouded Bonita's eyes and she reached out for support, placing a shaking hand on the stable wall. She could sense the slave who had captured her friend's heart but there was a shadow that concealed his features, not threatening the new slave but protecting him; another with the gift who was also concerned for him. She recovered quickly to find Kaneesha staring at her, the concern etched on her face.

"Are you saying someone would hurt him? To anyone else, he's just a slave.."

"No. Of course not. Just forget I said anything. I think I had just a little too much ale tonight." She hoped she had done enough to reassure Kaneesha, mentally kicking herself for being so negative. The future was forever in motion, one could never know what was destined for anyone with accuracy. Too many outside influences, like half submerged rocks, could twist and divert the flow in any number of directions. "So are you going to introduce me to him? I'm dying to meet the slave that has captured my dearest's heart. And how come you never mentioned him in any of your letters?"

Kaneesha smiled at her friend's kind words and took her by the hand, standing on tip-toes to plant a lingering kiss on her lips.

"Come on then, but I warn you he's mine and I'm not willing to share," she said with a cheeky glint in her eye. She couldn't ever remember feeling happier than she did now.

Bonita wrinkled her nose at the strong smell that met her when she passed through the doorway into the tiny hut. Even many burning sticks of incense could not completely hide the smell of death and disease that filled the room.

Kaneesha went quickly pass Morten who lay on a pile of furs in the closest corner, dozing fitfully. He came awake immediately, the vibration of her steps alerting him to her arrival. He moved to where she knelt, looking down at the shivering figure on the low cot in front of her. She extended a hand and brushed sweat drenched hair from Fox's burning forehead, finding a damp cloth to wipe his face and chest. She made no move to look under the raised blanket that covered the lower half of his body, for which Morten was grateful.

"Has he woken at all? Is he getting better?" she asked without taking her worried eyes off Fox. He seemed to respond to her touch and voice, stirring briefly, eyes partly open but unfocused, arms straining against his bonds. "Ssh, my love. Rest now. I'm here, Fox."

His breathing eased from short pants into longer respirations as he slipped once again into unconsciousness.

"Only briefly, M'Lady. He was in a lot of pain. I managed to get some of the paste into him and it seemed to help send him back to sleep. The remedy is working I believe, even better than I had hoped." Morten placed a stool beside the bed, not sure how long she would want to stay. He could still hear music and voices from the castle, though much softer than before.

"I want him bathed and taken to my room as soon as he is able to be moved." Kaneesha ordered. "I'll have food sent down when he wakes. It looks like he hasn't had a decent meal in weeks."

Bonita observed Kaneesha's devotion to the slave, it was so clear and strong that she pitied anyone who would try to break it. "Well, he is a scrawny looking thing, Neesh. Nothing that a good, long bath and half a horse won't fix. He might even turn out to be half-way decent," she said with a smile. "I guess I'd better keep a supply of those herbs for you, because I know you won't be able to keep your hands off him."

"I'm going to want more than just my hands on him." Kaneesha replied as she stroked Fox's hand.

Morten felt a wave of jealousy wash over him. His mistress never showed him such affection. To her he was just a body, something from which she could gain pleasure without ever having to give any. Any one of the hundreds of young male slaves could have replaced him and she wouldn't know the difference. But Fox.. Fox was different, special. As long as he pleased his new mistress, she would love and worship him, treating him like the god she believed him to be.

But Fox should have been his and his alone. Morten was beginning to wish he could have summoned Fox after his first vision, when he was still free and among his own people. He would have taken him to the summer hunting grounds that were mostly vacant and isolated because of the thick winter snows that usually blocked the only entrance to the secret valley. There he would have healed him, nursing him back to health, gaining the older man's trust and love, sharing the same fur covered pallet to keep out the chill of winter, locked in each other's arms, fucking each other into blissful exhaustion, only rising to eat and bathe.

He had first sensed Fox long ago, knocking on death's door, a horrible wound in his leg very similar to the one he had now, spilling his life-force onto the ground beneath him. Morten had actually been on his way to the sacred grove where his people drew on the power and wisdom of the Creator in their healing and summoning rituals, when he had been ambushed by a gang of roaming slave-traders. Weakened by a fast to cleanse his body and spirit, he had been unable to evade the mounted men. One hit to his head with a heavy wooden club rendered him dazed enough to be swept onto his attacker's galloping horse and carried off to be sold in the auction at Gilliania.

Had that really been only five summers ago? He had been only weeks away from the initiation that would mark his sixteenth year and entry into adulthood. It seemed like a lifetime. His first three years had passed in a haze of lack of sleep and food, worked from dawn to dusk in the vast fields, in the searing heat of summer and the freezing blizzards of the mercifully short winters.

Until the day he saved the life of Lord Gareth's only daughter. He had been on the edge of the western forest and had heard the frenzied screaming of her horse being attacked by a wild boar. Lady Kaneesha had been thrown from her startled mount and had scrambled up a stout tree, high above the boar's razor sharp tusks. He had grabbed a scythe and ran in the direction of the screams, human and animal, the other slaves and their overseers looking on as if he had gone mad. He had located the distressed animal and plunged the curved blade through the neck of the massive boar, severing its giant head and killing it instantly.

Ten minutes later, he was still trying to coax a terrified Kaneesha from her perch. She was focused on her injured pony which lay at the base of the tree, its hindquarters covered with bone-deep bites and lacerations. She didn't make a sound however, just sat clinging to the branch in shock, totally oblivious to Morten's presence and his attempts to calm her down. Morten even tried to connect with her mind but it was like trying to connect with a rock, no emotion, no thoughts, just a blankness that he could not penetrate. Malik, the senior overseer on duty that day, had arrived on horseback, seen the situation and between them they had manage to drag the dying horse away from Kaneesha's view and with a blade to its throat, Malik put the animal out of its misery.

Finally, Kaneesha had recovered enough to allow Malik to lift her off the branch, settling her on his horse and they had ridden out of the forest, the slave close behind on foot. When they had reached the castle, Morten had expected to be sent back out to the fields but to his surprise and that of the rest of the servants that had gathered near the stables, Lady Kaneesha had insisted the slave accompany her to her rooms to thank him in person for his quick thinking. She had told him in the privacy of her sleeping-chamber, encased in her arms after a frenzied, hours-long lovemaking session that she had felt him in her mind but had been too terrified to respond, unable to control her thoughts and emotions. He had begged her not to reveal his talents and she had agreed almost at once, saying that they could come in very handy one day.

And now he was certain that he would be forgotten by his mistress, sent back out to the fields, just one slave among hundreds. He was determined to use every gift and trick available to him to make sure that did not happen. Fox was here now and, unlike his self-centered mistress, Morten was more than willing to share him.

One of Gareth's guards appeared at the hut's entrance and cleared his throat. "Lady Kaneesha, Lord Gareth wishes to see you immediately in his suite." He remained at attention as Kaneesha stood and walked towards the door. She took one look back at Fox, knowing he was worth the sacrifice of her body for one night to satisfy her father. After all only her body would be going to Gareth's bed, her heart and soul would still be in this small room with her Fox, her pet.

She followed the Knight through the castle. Lying here and there in doorways and open rooms were guests who had been overcome by too much ale and food and, in a few cases, sex. The lay where they fell, singly and in groups of two or three, servants walking quietly amongst the bodies, placing pillows under heads and warm blankets over bloated stomachs.

Reaching Gareth's chambers she was ushered inside to find her father lying on his bed, a large goblet of ale in one hand. The room was only lit by a couple of torches, much of the large space staying hidden in shadows.

"Ahh, Kaneesha, my love. Would you care for a refreshment?" His words were slurred and he struggled to sit upright, spilling his drink in the process.

Rajiv stepped forward out of a dark corner to aid his Lord and Kaneesha froze in shock at the thought of an audience being present. She backed toward the door, wanting to leave as soon as she could.

Gareth realized what his daughter was thinking and immediately spoke to put her mind at ease. He had almost forgotten his original motive for inviting her to his chamber at such late an hour.

"Oh no, my sweet. That's not why I summoned you here. I was wrong to suggest to you what I did and I'm ashamed at asking you to share my bed. But I do so miss your dear mother and you reminded me so much of her tonight. She would have been very proud at how you have grown up and I wish she was here to see how lovely you are now. A blazing jewel in a crown that I feel no longer worthy of wearing." He hung his head in shame, tears streaming down his pudgy cheeks.

Kaneesha's heart broke at the sight of her Father crying and she sat down on his bed, taking his huge body into her arms and began rocking as she would a child, whispering soothing words into his ear, telling him she understood.

"I miss Mother very much too but she would be equally proud of you for raising Jaxtar and I so well."

Father and daughter held each other for long minutes, each realizing how much the other meant to them and how little they had voiced their appreciation and love over the last few years. Finally they broke apart, wiping teary eyes and blowing runny noses.

With a reassuring nod from his Master-At-Arms, Gareth turned Kaneesha to face him, wiping the last of the tears from her cheeks.

"The reason I called you here is to let you know that I want you to be my heir, that when I die you will rule Carteria with Rajiv as your advisor until you find someone suitable to wed and rule by your side." He made the speech without drawing breath as if he would be unable to continue if he paused. He looked up at Kaneesha, afraid at her possible reaction. Would she think it was the ale talking? Would she take him seriously?

Kaneesha was stunned. Had she heard her Father correctly? He wanted her to inherit the throne? Surely he must be joking, maybe trying to make up for his earlier proposition. Jaxtar was heir, it was his birthright as the male child of the current Lord. He had been born to rule, raised from birth to one day claim all of Cateria and it's people as his. From the time he could walk and talk he had been allowed, indeed required to attend meetings with Gareth and the Senate when they debated the affairs of state, learning the many laws and customs of his people, the history of his ancestors and his homeland. That he seemed to reject his upbringing, rebelling from his early teens, preferring to go on long mysterious journeys with other young Lords and Dukes, did not count against him. Indeed some of the older members of the Senate thought that the late Lady Notissa had coddled her only son, too overprotective, worried about every scrape and cut he suffered in mock trials of combat with his teachers. She had admonished him over his bad manners, of eating with fingers when the finest cutlery was in front of him, of using his clothes instead of silk and satin napkins to wipe away scraps of food. He had always been a difficult child, using his privileged position to boss others around, from his Father's advisors to the many slaves that lived and worked on the estate. Always demanding that slaves be punished for the most minor misdeeds. Lady Notissa had a calming influence on him, reminding him that just because he was Royalty did not mean he was any better than those around him. But when she died he became more reckless and cruel, more like his great grandfather, a man known to have been a sadistic monster who continuously waged war on his smaller, weaker neighbors, plundering and massacring villages of all sizes, enslaving the conquered people. It had taken two generations for the rulers of Carteria to heal the wounds although some smaller estates and kingdoms continued to regard all Carterians as their enemies.

CONTINUED

 

Back to HOFAH page On to part 3