Cave Paintings a History of Us story The man stopped at the cave entrance and bowed his head to the painted animals on the wall just inside. He lowered the bison thigh from his shoulder and dragged it into the cave. Near the back of the cave a small fire burned, and the woman and the child waited. They started up when they heard him enter. The woman exclaimed over the bison thigh, and she began to scrape fur from the leg with sharpened stones. The man picked up the child and hugged him, and the child put his little arms around his neck and cooed to him. The man ran his hand over the child's tangled hair and set him on his feet again, and sat himself near the fire to warm his hands and feet. The child embraced him again, and the man held him on his lap to keep the child warm. There would be another little one soon, for the woman's belly was growing round as the moon. Soon the woman had worked the fur off the bison thigh, and put the meat on sticks to cook over the fire. The little cave filled with the scent of cooking meat, and the sizzle of fat dripping into the fire. The man's stomach growled, and the woman handed him dried berries from the warm season. He smiled at her as he took them, and she returned the smile with a caress on his shoulder. He shared the berries with the child, and the child leaned his head sleepily against his chest. When they had eaten and disposed of the bones, the woman took the animal's skin and sinews and stretched them out on sticks. The man made an arrow head, showing the child how to strike the stones together. The child bruised his finger and went crying to the woman, who cooed and nuzzled him and held him until his tears stopped. The fire burned low, and outside the caves wolves began to howl. The child whimpered in fear and the woman murmured to him. The man got more wood from their supply and set it at the cave's entrance, and set the logs on fire. There would be no invaders into their home that night. The man and the woman lay beside each other, with the child in the woman's arms, near the fire and between layers of bear skins. The man rubbed his nose against the woman's neck and licked the side of her face gently, and finally she put the child aside and turned to the man. They rubbed noses and licked each other's faces, and mated looking into each other's eyes. He held onto her tightly while she slept. When the sun rose again the man embraced the woman and the child, and joined the other men of the clan to hunt. Every day was much like the ones before and the ones to come. There were children and great hunts, clan members died and were buried. Sometimes they followed the herds to warmer climes, and wherever they went the man painted on the cave walls his woman, so her beauty would live forever.