Pairing: Ezra Standish/JD Dunne
Rating: G
Disclaimer: I don’t own them. I'm not making any money from this... you know the drill.
Notes: This story is set in the ATF AU created by Mog.
Warnings: None.
Summary: JD and Ezra share their feelings in a hospital room.

 

Bedside Manners

by TimberWolf



JD slouched in the rigid bedside chair, staring at the still form lying in the hospital bed in front of him. The team’s undercover agent had been unconscious since he was brought to the emergency room. JD let his eyes roam freely over Ezra, searching intently for any sign of well-being.

Ezra’s right bicep was swathed in a large white bandage, wrapped firmly around the bullet hole that tore clean through the muscle. A number of scrapes and bruises stood out darkly against his skin. Most frightening of all was the relatively small white square bandage taped over the bullet graze on Ezra’s right temple.

JD shuddered. So close. That bullet had been so close to ending Ezra’s life.

The young agent was so lost in thought, he didn’t notice the deep breath, or slight shift signalling Ezra’s waking.

“JD?” Ezra groaned, squinting against the harsh light pouring in from the hallway. “Where is everyone?”

“Kicked out. Gone home. They’ll be back first thing in the morning.”

“Why are you still here?” he rasped.

“I snuck back in.” JD looked away. “Had to make sure you’re okay.”

Ezra scowled slightly. “JD. This isn’t your fault.”

JD shrugged. “I know.”

“There’s no way any of us could...”

“I know that, Ezra.” JD interrupted.

Puzzlement clear in his voice, Ezra asked, “Then why?”

“It’s not important,” JD mumbled, crossing the distance to the door in two quick strides. “I’m gonna go... let you get some sleep.”

Ezra struggled to sit up, but with a gasp of pain, fell back against the pillow. “Damn it to hell! John Daniel Dunne! Don’t you dare leave this room.”

JD turned back, grinning. “John Daniel? Ez, that’s not...”

“I know,” Ezra grimaced, “but in situations like this, three names are much more effective than two.”

“They are, huh?” JD shifted from one foot to the other, studying the tile floor.

“Why, JD?”

“Ezra...” he shook his head sharply.

“Why?” The stern voice brooked no argument.

JD sighed. “Because I needed to know you were going to be all right. I needed to see it with my own eyes.” Hazel eyes met green as JD whispered, “I was afraid you were gonna die, Ezra, and I never....” He hesitated, letting the sentence trail off unfinished.

Ezra held his breath, studying the man standing in front of him. Decision made, he released his breath slowly. “I was afraid,” he whispered, “afraid that I was going to die alone.”

“Ez?” JD whispered, wide-eyed.

Ezra studied his fingers as they picked at the knitted hospital blanket. “I’m tired of being alone.” He looked up at JD. “I’m tired of doubting myself and denying the feelings I have.”

JD stepped forward, closing the distance between himself and the hospital bed. Stepping around to the left side, he lifted Ezra’s free hand, watching the undercover agent’s expression carefully as he pressed a kiss against Ezra’s fingertips. Seeing the bright light dawning in the other man’s green eyes, JD leaned carefully over Ezra, brushing his lips lightly against the soft smile.

Ezra moaned lightly under JD’s lips, pressing into the kiss, as he laced his fingers through JD’s. He pulled back with a smile, licking his lips. “Join me?” he whispered, eyes sparkling.

“I don’t know, Ez,” JD hesitated, “you’re hurt.”

“You let me worry about that.” Ezra’s gold tooth flashed in his bright grin.

JD nodded his consent, and Ezra shifted over to allow the younger man room to climb into the bed. Carefully arranging himself, Ezra curled against JD’s side, gingerly settling his injured arm across JD’s stomach, laying his cheek against JD’s chest.

“Mmmm... nice,” Ezra murmured, as JD rested his cheek against Ezra’s hair, sliding his hand up and down the length of Ezra’s back. “No sudden moves though, okay?”

JD stilled. “Even when Chris and the others come barging in here in the morning?”

“Even then. I don’t care who sees us,” Ezra breathed, eyes drifting shut.

JD smiled, pressing a kiss against Ezra’s hair. “Anything you want.”

“All right, young man,” the harsh whisper pulled JD out of his light doze, “it’s well past time for you to be out of this room.”

“Sorry, ma’am, but I don’t think so.” JD muttered.

“Right this instant,” the officious nurse shook a thin bony finger at JD. “Your young friend needs his rest.”

“No,” JD gritted.

“Now you listen to me,” she huffed, “this is a hospital, not a motel. And your friend needs rest, not manhandling. Out you go, this instant.”

“Go to hell, lady. He wants me here. He only just got comfortable enough to fall asleep and I’m not jarring him by moving,” JD growled.

“Do I have to call security?”

“You do what you have to do. I’m staying right here.”

Watching the nurse storm out of the room, JD smiled. He reached over to smooth the blanket across Ezra’s shoulder.

“Love you, JD,” Ezra whispered, pressing a soft kiss against the young man’s throat.

“Sleep, Ez. You’re never going to be alone again.”

 



There’s no place like Home.

I have a burning desire to send you my opinion of your story.

I want more fics. Take me back to TimberWolf’s index.

 

© TimberWolf 2002