Title: LEX AND CLARK: The New Adventures of Superboy

AUTHOR: Catlover

EMAIL: Katlovers@cox.net

DISTRIBUTION: WWOMB. It would be very flattering if anyone else wanted it so ask and you shall receive.

SPOILERS: The whole show, really ;-}

RATING: NC-17 occasionally, but PG-13/R for slash content and random violence for the most part.

FANDOM: Smallville

Pairing: Clark/Lex

SUMMARY: The new adventures of an old hero.

DISCLAIMER: Not mine. DAMN IT! Not mine. DC Comics owns the rights to Superman and the entire DC universe. Unfortunately, I'm a masochist. So, during the writing of this fic I realized the DC universe simply wasn't big enough for me. Oh, no! Consequently, I must declare that I also don't own the entire Marvel universe.

NOTE#1: This is SLASH. It celebrates romantic and sexual feelings shared by two men. If this offends you then you should not read this.

NOTE#2: Special thanks to Smallville Transcript Center for providing transcripts for each and every Smallville episode.

NOTE#3: I took a lot of liberties with this story. I'm going to be introducing original characters and I didn't entirely follow canon. I will be changing a few things in the Smallville storyline, but nothing central to the foundation of the fandom. Most notably, I'll be changing Clark, Lana, Pete and Chloe from freshmen to sophomores. I felt the need to do this for certain plot twists that come later. The Smallville kids are still fifteen at the beginning of the show, becoming sixteen during the school year.

This story has only one rule concerning the existing Smallville storyline: I will only mention what I change. Therefore, if it isn't mentioned, then it wasn't changed. Easy enough, right? Luckily, there's enough slash subtext in Smallville to suit most of my purposes, at least, in the beginning. Generally, very little will change until the "Reaper" episode, then the gloves come off.

As you can tell by the title - I'm ripping off the entire Superman universe. Hello, my tag is Catlover and I am a Superman junkie. I have all of the movies on DVD. I've watched every TV show that ever pertained to Superman - Even the badly acted ones, like "Superboy". I have a lot of the original comic books, going back to the 60s. Suffice it to say that all of my past Superman experience is influencing me. So, please, no e-mails saying they did that in issue# 203 or on "Lois and Clark," okay?

So, on with the fun! Every chapter of my story will start with a song lyric. Therefore, I thought it would be nice to end my introduction with one:

Every pop song on the radio is suddenly speaking to me,

Yeah, art may imitate life, but life imitates TV.



LEX AND CLARK: The New Adventures of Superboy
By Catlover




CHAPTER ONE: A New Beginning To An Old Tale


Standing there alone, the ship is waiting.
All systems are go.
Are you sure?
Control is not convinced, but their computer has the evidence.
No need to abort.
The countdown starts.
- "Major Tom (Earth Below Us)" performed by Peter Schilling

Horrible, pitch-black darkness was all he could see. Sterile, recycled air was all he could smell. Echoing in the distance, he could hear his Mother's cries. Something else, as well - a loud grinding of metal gears commenced just below him. Suddenly, young Kal-El felt his capsule raise to a 45-degree angle, causing him to shift uncomfortably in the pod.

Some instinct deep within him screamed that something was terribly wrong. Desperately, he pressed against the smooth metal that surrounded him. Working his fingers into the groove that made up the hatch, Kal-El tried in vain to pry the door open. His cheeks burning hot, Kal-El succumbed to the tears that rolled down his round cheeks. Shaking helplessly, he pounded on the inner-hull weakly, his tiny fists curled tightly.

Rocked violently out of his grief, Kal-El noted a strange force pressing down on him. In response, Kal-El felt his small body sink into the cushions underneath him. More and more, the pressure built. Soon, Kal-El found it hard to breathe. Scared and alone, he panicked as only a two year old could - struggling against the force, exerting himself until finally, mercifully, he passed out.

--<{()}>--

About A Year Later
Smallville, Kansas

With resounding explosions, the meteors landed. All over the town of Smallville, the extraterrestrial missiles wreaked havoc, caused death and changed lives.

In a ditch, alongside an old country road leading out of town, a pickup truck laid overturned. Inside the truck's cab, the driver and passenger slowly revived. Blurry eyed, the driver shook his head. Hanging upside down, the man clumsily turned his head toward the driver side window. Blinking rapidly, the man struggled to keep his weak hold on consciousness and the naked boy standing beside the truck was not helping.

After a few hard swallows, the driver called out, "Martha?"

Situated in an upside position similar to that of her husband's, Martha turned her head to look at her husband. Instantly, her eyes darted past her husband and to the small boy standing outside.

Managing to drag her gaze back to her husband, Martha gasped, "Jonathon?"

Eyes wide and mouths agape, the pair stared at each other. For a second, they hung in silence before looking back out the driver side window. Now, they knew it hadn't been a dream for there he was. Crouched down, peering back at them, the curious child offered a gentle smile.

"Okay, we got to get out of here," groaned Jonathon.

Fumbling for the door latch, Jonathon pulled hard on the metal lever. Nothing happened. Just a click that made Jonathon let loose a string of curse words until he noticed his lovely wife frowning and motioning toward the smiling brunette. Sighing loudly, Jonathon took in a lungful of air and proceeded to knock his shoulder repeatedly against the door while pulling on the lever. Once again, nothing happened.

Outside, the young boy watched Jonathon curiously. His hands on his knees, his body rolled into a tight ball, he tossed his head of wavy jet-black hair from side to side. Slowly, a light went on in the boy's large blue eyes. Extending his hands, he gripped onto the door handle.

"Jonathon, stop shoving!" screamed Martha.

Jerking around, Jonathon looked out the window. Cursing under his breath, Jonathon watched as the little boy stood and dug his feet into the dirt. Looking over at Martha, Jonathon asked, "Why don't you try your side, honey?"

"I already have," answered Martha.

Running a hand through his sandy blond hair, Jonathon said, "I don't know what to do, Martha. I don't want to hurt the little guy, but I don't see how else we're going to get out of here."

From Jonathon's left, the scratching, high-pitched squeal of metal twisting apart sounded. In slow motion, Jonathon turned his head when he felt the gust of cool air rush into the truck. To his right, Jonathon heard Martha gasp and found he could only concur with her surprise at seeing the mysterious boy standing beside the truck with the twisted door in his hands and a tooth-filled grin spread across his face.

Wasting no time, Jonathon braced his left hand on the roof of the truck while unlocking his seatbelt with his right hand. None too easily, Jonathon dragged his six-foot frame from the car. Getting to his feet, Jonathon brushed the dirt off his jeans and work shirt all the while never taking his eyes off the wide-eyed boy standing before him, still clutching the truck door.

Making his way around the car, Jonathon braced his right foot against the front tire and pulled at Martha's door. After four tries, the door creaked open. Gently, Jonathon held Martha as she released the latch on her seatbelt. So carefully he handled her that Martha's head never touched the ground as Jonathon pulled her from the wreck. Once outside, Martha rubbed her sore shoulder and neck. After working out the worst of the sore muscles, Martha knelt down and reached back into the truck cab and pulled out a thin, dark blue blanket.

With their arms wrapped around each other, Jonathon and Martha walked around the truck until once again they saw the naked boy. Kneeling down, Martha stared wide-eyed at the little boy. As she unfolded the blanket, Martha noticed that the boy's blue eyes seemed transfixed on her red hair. Testing her theory, Martha shook her head and watched as the boy's eyes darted about following her auburn tresses. Sighing softly, Martha grabbed the ends of the blanket. Spreading her arms and the blanket wide, Martha could only smile as the boy tossed the truck door aside and stretched out his hands in her direction.

Wrapping the blanket around the boy, Martha picked him up. Resting his weight on her hip and right arm, Martha took a hold of the child's tiny hand and asked, "Where did you come from?"

Pausing, Martha waited. The boy said nothing. Trying again, Martha inquired, "What is your name?"

Still, the boy said nothing. Suddenly, the boy's round eyes started to shimmer. All at once, his brilliant smile faded into a deep frown. Hitching up slightly, the boy's shoulders and chest vibrated.

"Don't cry. Don't cry. I won't let anything happen to you," said Martha quickly, but in a comforting voice.

Shaking her head, Martha pulled the boy into a tight embrace. Pulling her head back a little, Martha smoothed the boy's raven locks back. With her thumb, Martha gently brushed a tear away. Smiling widely, Martha tapped the boy's nose with her index finger. After an initial shock, the boy smiled again. Brushing her hand through the boy's unruly hair, Martha sighed in a singsong voice, "You're an angel. That's what you are. You're an angel sent from heaven.."

"Kids don't just fall out of the sky, Martha," said Jonathon, a heavy sigh both preceding and following the statement.

Glancing over her shoulder, Martha retorted, "Then where did he come from?"

"I don't know, but he must have parents," answered Jonathon.

Looking over the edge of the ditch at the ravaged field beside them, Jonathon stepped closer to his wife. Intending to protect, he wrapped an arm around Martha and the child. Stepping forward, Jonathon led them out to what was once a field of wild, knee-high grasses. Looking around, Jonathon and Martha noticed a long skid mark cut across the field ending at the far corner in a crater. Both of their mouths fell open as they gazed at what was obviously a small, metal pod half-embedded in the earth at the center of the crater.

Without looking at Jonathon, Martha said, "Well, if he does have parents, they're definitely not from Kansas."

His shoulders slumping, Jonathon turned to his wife and replied in the most understanding voice he could muster under the circumstances, "Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we going to tell people - we found him out in a field?"

Placing a hand on the boy's head, Martha held the child against her body tightly as she answered, "We didn't find him. He found us."

Slowly, the boy reached up and grabbed hold of Martha's hair and started twirling it around his fingers. At the sight of the child's innocent gesture, Jonathon could feel defeat. His head cocked to the side, Jonathon reached out and brushed his fingers through the boy's black hair. Looking back at Martha, Jonathon met her green eyes before nodding. The radiant smile with which Martha rewarded him made it all worth it. Looking back at the boy, Jonathon remarked absently, "I guess we should keep him. I mean, it's not like we can give him back."

--<{()}>--

Two Years, Four Months and Seventeen Days Later
Kent Farm

The clear night sky was awash in sparkling stars. On a field marker, dressed in a far too big, faded blue t-shirt and Spiderman underoos, a five year-old boy sat beneath the twinkling lights. Lazily, his feet dangled a couple inches off the ground, swinging back and forth. Completely ignoring the moon, he let his deep blue eyes search the distant darkness.

'My name is Clark Kent,' mused the boy.

Tonight was the second anniversary of his name becoming official. Earlier, there had been cake and happy smiles. Just a couple hours ago, his Father carried him upstairs and tucked him into bed as his Mother stood at the doorway smiling. It was perfect. So perfect, Clark thought he would make it through the night, just this once, without the same nightmare coming to haunt him again.

Drawing his knees up to his chin, Clark balanced on the narrow marker. Rocking slightly, Clark leaned his head back as far as he could. In this position, the stars filled his full range of sight. As always, it felt oddly comforting.

"Son? What are you doing out here?" asked Jonathon as he strolled up to his son.

Not stopping his intense regard of the night sky, Clark whispered, "Nothing, Dad."

Jonathon glanced skyward. Biting his lip, Jonathon looked back down at his son. Sucking in a sharp breath, Jonathon inched closer to Clark until he was standing next to him. Tugging at the pant legs of his worn blue jeans, Jonathon crouched down until he was level with Clark. Tipping back his head, Jonathon looked up at the same expanse as Clark.

"The stars are real bright tonight," Jonathon mentioned casually.

"I guess," replied Clark.

Glancing over at Clark, Jonathon said, "Y'know, when I was a boy and I couldn't sleep, I would go out into the cornfields and lay down between the rows. There were a lot of nights I fell asleep in those cornfields. All those tall green stalks climbing into the sky, topped with gold - They made the world make more sense."

Bringing his chin to his chest, Clark paused for a second before turning his head in his Father's direction. "Really? You did that?"

Nodding once, Jonathon answered, "You bet, sport."

Clark looked directly at Jonathon and asked, "Why couldn't you sleep?"

Looking back up at the sky, Jonathon replied, "Well, there were a lot of reasons. Sometimes, I was worried. Sometimes, I had nightmares. Sometimes, those cornfields just seemed to be calling to me."

Following his Father's lead, Clark looked back up. "Dad?"

"Yes, son."

"Dad, that's how I feel," said Clark, in a small voice.

"About the stars?" asked Jonathon.

When Clark didn't respond right away, Jonathon looked over at Clark. "Son?"

Still looking up at the stars, Clark nodded a few times. Biting his bottom lip again, Jonathon looked at Clark and asked, "So, what's the reason, tonight?"

After a few seconds, Clark pressed his chin against his chest again. Looking at Jonathon, Clark responded with a confused expression. Noting the confusion, Jonathon clarified, "I mean are the stars just calling you, tonight, or are you worried about something? Did you maybe have a nightmare?"

Clasping his hands in front of himself, Clark looked down at his clutched hands. "I had a nightmare."

"That same one as always," inquired Jonathon.

"Yeah. It's so real. It's so dark and I can't breathe," replied Clark.

Jonathon placed an arm around Clark and pulled him close. "It was just a dream, Clark."

"I guess," whispered Clark. For a second, Clark's mouth opened, but just as quickly he closed it, shaking his head.

Peering over at Clark's troubled face, Jonathon asked, "What is it, Clark?"

Clark glanced over at his Father and said, "It's just. It's just that it feels so good to look at the stars. I wish I could look at them all the time."

Biting his lip, Jonathon nodded before replying, "Well, maybe it's your calling in life, Clark. Look at me, I'm a farmer who as a boy liked to sleep in the cornfields. You're a boy that likes to watch the stars. Maybe, you'll be an astronomer when you grow up."

Smiling, Clark nodded. Looking back up, Clark said, "I'd like that."

In response, Jonathon smiled. Standing up, Jonathon let go of Clark long enough to blow hot air on his fingers. Pounding his heels into the dirt, Jonathon commented, "It's gotten awfully cold, out here, Clark. I think we better get back inside."

Shrugging, Clark hopped off the stone marker. Swinging his arms, Clark walked beside Jonathon back to the house, his T-shirt hanging below his knees and flapped in the breeze as they reached the barn. There, Jonathon paused. A couple steps later, Clark paused as well. Looking up at his Father, Clark reached up and took Jonathon's hand. The small hand on his own hand jarred Jonathon out of his reverie.

Looking down at Clark, Jonathon said, "I don't like you sitting on the field marker where anyone could just come by and take you. I think I'll rig something up for you in the barn. Would you like that?"

Clark stared at the barn for a second before saying, "How can I see the stars in the barn?"

At Clark's question, Jonathon wondered allowed, "Well, we could convert the loft doors into windows. You could look out from there and if the next harvest goes well, we'll look into getting you a telescope."

"Really?" cried Clark, hopping up and down as he held his Father's hand tightly.

"Really," replied Jonathon while wincing from Clark's grip on his hand. Making a mental note to have a long talk with his son about control in the morning, Jonathon pulled Clark up by his hand until Clark was straddling his hip. Wrapping his arms around Clark, Jonathon carried his son back into the house.

--<{()}>--

October 2001
Smallville High School


"Hi, guys." Said, Clark, with the slightest smirk on his face. With a bounce in his step, Clark Kent walked up to his two best friends.

With wide eyes, Chloe looked back at the road behind them. Looking suspiciously like the scarecrow from The Wizard Of Oz, Chloe pointed her index fingers in opposite directions as her head swung back and forth. "Uh. Didn't you just- Weren't you-"

Shrugging, Clark pulled his backpack on and said, "I took a shortcut."

Shaking her head slightly, Chloe squinted her eyes as she asked, "Through what? A black hole?"

Choosing this moment to join the conversation, Pete slapped Clark once on the chest. "Clark, you'll have to excuse our intrepid reporter. Seems as though her weirdar is on Def Con 5. She thought something was attacking the bus."

Raising her hand limply, Chloe offered up her defense, "Okay, just because everyone else chooses to ignore the strange things that happen in this leafy little hamlet doesn't mean that they don't happen."

Laughing under his breath, Pete joked, "Now, you know we'd love to join you and Scooby inside the Mystery Machine for another zany adventure, but we got to hand in these permission slips before homeroom."

With a pained expression, Clark sighed, "Actually, Pete, I'm having second thoughts. I don't think signing up for the team is such a great idea."

A mixture of anger and astonishment filled Pete's face as he leaned in and hissed, "Clark, listen, this is the only way."

Putting both her hands up, Chloe stepped in front of the two boys she called her best friends. "Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. You two are trying out for the football team? What is this some sort of teen suicide pact?"

At Chloe's giggles, Pete reacted angrily by grabbing Chloe's arm and pulling her aside. Leaning over, Pete whispered intensely, "We're trying to avoid becoming this year's scarecrow."

Wrenching her arm away from Pete, Chloe whispered, "What are you talking about?" Rubbing her arm, Chloe straightened up and said jokingly, "And why are we whispering?"

Gesturing wildly with his hands, Pete explained, "It's a homecoming tradition. Every year before the big game, the football players select a sophomore, take him out to Reilly Field, strip him down to his boxers and then paint a "S" on his chest."

Offering more to the vivid description, Clark added, "An "S" for sophomore scarecrow. And then, they string him up like a scarecrow and leave him out in the field while they go to homecoming."

With disbelief, Chloe stared wide-eyed at Clark and Pete. Shaking the disturbing scene from her mind, Chloe commented, "Jeez, that sounds like years of therapy waiting to happen to some unsuspecting fifteen year old."

Nodding, Pete asked, "Why do you think we're trying out for the team? Figure they won't choose one of their own."

Still shaking her head, Chloe stopped in her tracks and asked, "Am I to understand that this scarecrow is always a sophomore male?"

Cocking his head to the side, Clark answered, "Yeah. Always."

Brushing the back of her hand across her forehead, Chloe said, "Whew! You had me worried there for a second."

"Excuse me?" asked Pete.

"Well, as a sophomore female, I no longer have to associate an overwhelming sense of apprehension and dread with homecoming," explained Chloe.

Nodding, Clark stated, "Unfortunately, as sophomore males, Pete and I are desperate to dodge a bullet this Homecoming."

Together, the trio left the painful discussion behind them and approached the front of Smallville High School. Standing at the foot of the stairs, surrounded by their many fans, was the captain of the football team, senior, Whitney Fordman, and his girlfriend, the head of the cheerleading squad, sophomore, Lana Lang.

Glancing at each other sadly, Pete and Chloe watched as Clark walked toward them. Nudging Pete with her shoulder, Chloe said, "Call me crazy, but I think if Clark is desperate to not be this year's scarecrow then he should probably leave the captain of the football team's girlfriend alone."

--<{()}>--

Homecoming Day, 2001
Luthor Castle

"Hello?" Clark's voice echoed throughout the lonely halls. Looking about, Clark stared at everything. How could anyone, even someone as rich as Lex Luthor, feel comfortable in this place? The layout was out of the distant past. The fixtures and touches of bric-a-brac were certainly not replicas. The tables, the chairs were definitely antiques, so fragile looking he was afraid to get too close. Sticking to the center of the hallway, Clark glanced about worriedly, chewing absently on his bottom lip.

'This is a mistake', thought Clark as he continued to search the halls.

In the distance, Clark could hear the faint sound of metal slapping against metal. Walking to the open doorway, Clark practically jumped out of his skin as two individuals decked out in full fencing uniforms raced by him as they parried for control. Stunned, Clark could do nothing, but watch as one of the fencers quickly got the upper hand on the other. From across the room, Clark clearly heard the growl of frustration from the loser as he ripped off his helmet. One second, he was recognizing Lex. The next, Clark was acutely aware of the sword embedded in the wall just inches from his head.

'Definitely, a mistake,' reasoned Clark as he watched recollection quickly enter Lex's eyes.

"Clark?" asked Lex. Surprised to find his own personal savior in the room, it took Lex a couple seconds to collect himself. During those precious seconds, Lex observed the frightened expression on Clark's face.

Damn, Lex thought as he remarked, "I didn't see you."

Still wide-eyed and slightly pale, Clark stuttered as he continued to glance at the shiny sword, "I, uh, buzzed, but no one answered."

'Let's take care of this before he runs, screaming,' Lex thought as he grabbed the hilt of the foil and jerked the sword out of the wall. Turning away from Clark, Lex placed the sword on a table. Turning back to Clark, Lex asked absently as he crossed the room, "How did you get through the gate?"

Blushing, Clark looked down at the ground. In his mind, Clark answered, 'Well, Lex, you see, I just pried the bars apart with my superhuman strength and then twisted them back in place so nobody would notice.' Correctly, Clark realized that wasn't the wisest response. Instead, he offered, "I kind of squeezed through the bars. If this is a bad time."

'Squeezed through? If someone as big as Clark can squeeze through my gate then I really need to talk to my security chief,' mused Lex as he walked up to his sparing partner, tossing his helmet at her. "Oh, no, no. I think Hykia has sufficiently kicked my ass for the day."

Cocking his head to the side, Lex looked Clark straight in the eyes as he said, "Let's go."

As they walked through the halls, Lex was silent. Trailing after Lex, Clark was just plain uncomfortable. In the hope of banishing his nervousness, Clark remarked, "This is a great place."

"Yeah, if you're dead and looking for something to haunt," answered Lex, flippantly.

'So, the place even makes him uncomfortable. Well, at least, now I feel better,' Clark realized. Remembering the manners his Mom engrained in him, Clark replied quickly, "I meant, it's roomy."

Lex starts ascending a staircase with Clark in tow. Lifting his hand like a tour guide, Lex proclaimed, "The Luthor ancestral home."

Looking over his shoulder at Clark, Lex added, "Or, so my Father claims. He had it shipped over from Scotland, stone by stone."

Taking a self-conscious look around, Clark recalled, "Yeah, I remember trucks rolled through town for weeks, but no one ever moved in."

Reaching the top of the stairs, Lex waited until Clark was standing beside him before stating, "That's because my Father had no intention of ever living here, Clark. He's never even stepped through the front door."

Confusion spread across Clark's youthful features as he thought, 'How does he do that? Why does one look from him make me feel so confused?' Shaking his head, Clark asked, "Then, why'd he ship it over?"

Shrugging to the left, Lex let the action draw him into a full turn and propel him forward. Once, Clark was back, walking at his side, Lex answered, "Because, he could."

Taking a sudden left, Lex drew Clark into a large, well-lit room. Across the room, a fire roared with life. Lining the walls, exercise equipment stood, waiting to be used. Next of the equipment, someone had placed a table that was currently decked out with fresh fruit and bottles of fancy water. In a far corner, a wardrobe and a set of drawers rested side-by-side. Walking confidently, Lex crossed the room and opened up the wardrobe and one of the drawers.

Shrugging off his fencing uniform, starting with the jacket, Lex threw the article into the wardrobe and slammed the mahogany doors shut. Reaching into the drawer, Lex pulled out a towel and patted down his face before looking back at Clark. The boy wore the strangest expression - An expression that Lex could recognize. 'Oh, Clark.'

Hoping to leave the troubling thought that just entered his head behind him, Lex wrapped the towel around his neck and asked, "How's the new ride?"

'Damn, he just asked me a question. What was it? Think, Clark, think,' reflected Clark from his own personal hell. Finally, the question sprang to Clark's mind and Clark answered quickly, "That's why I'm here."

'Blank stare. Check. Inability to think clearly. Check. Yep, he's a goner.' Lex considered the gravity of the situation as he strolled to his table, picked up a dark blue bottle of water and proceeded to take a series of long swallows from it. Lowering the bottle, Lex flashed his profile at Clark as he inquired, "What's the matter? You don't like it?"

Clark watched the muscles of Lex's throat play, sliding against each other as Lex moved and spoke. 'What the hell is the matter with me?' Suddenly, Clark noticed that Lex had turned around and was waiting for an answer. Quickly, Clark gave one. "No, it's not that. I can't keep it."

Placing his water on the table, Luthor took several broad strides. Within seconds, he was standing directly in front of Clark Kent, almost touching him. Running his eyes over Clark's face, Lex replied in a steady voice, "Clark, you saved my life. I think it's the least I can do."

As if under a trance, Clark found himself trapped in Lex's jade green eyes. Finally, Lex blinked, breaking the spell. Instantly, Clark looked down, staring at his sneakers. Reaching out, Lex hesitated for a second before taking a hold of Clark's chin and raising it. Looking Clark in the eyes, Lex asked, "Your Father doesn't like me, does he?"

The look of sadness and regret on Clark's face told Lex everything he needed to know. Stepping away from Clark, Lex ran a steady hand over his bald head. "It's okay. You don't have to answer that. I've been bald since I was eleven, Clark. I'm used to people judging me before they get to know me."

Reaching out a tentative hand, Clark almost touched Lex's arm, but stopped, leaving his hand to hover inches away. 'Shouldn't.' "It's nothing personal. He's just not crazy about your Dad."

"Figures the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, huh? Understandable." Reaching out, Lex grasped onto Clark's wrist, pulling him closer, before asking, "What about you, Clark? Do you fall far from the tree?"

Clark's eyes dulled for a second and the muscles in his body tensed up at the question. Looking away from Lex's intense scrutiny, Clark closed his eyes for a moment before returning his gaze to Lex's mischievous face. Confused again, Clark pulled his hand away from Lex as he stepped back. "I better go. Thanks for the truck."

Reaching into his pocket, Clark pulled out the truck keys. Pausing, Clark considered his options before quickly grabbing Lex's hand, turning it palm up. Gently, Clark placed the keys in the center of Lex's palm. Releasing his grip, Clark backed away quickly, turning to leave.

A hand on his arm stopped Clark's departure. From behind his back, Clark heard Lex softly say, "Clark, do you believe a man can fly?"

Turning around, Clark answered, "Sure, in a plane."

Shaking his head, Lex continued, "No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about soaring through the clouds with nothing, but air beneath you."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark stared at Lex for a second, then said, "People can't fly, Lex."

"I did," Lex assured. "After the accident, when my heart stopped. It was the most exhilarating two minutes of my life."

Looking Clark straight in the eyes, Lex whispered, "I flew over Smallville, and for the first time, I didn't see a dead end. I saw a new beginning."

Smiling honestly, Lex continued, "Thanks to you, I have a second chance."

Excitedly, Lex placed both of his hands on Clark's shoulders. Once he was sure he had Clark's full attention, Lex stated with certainty, "We have a future, Clark and I don't want anything to stand in the way of our friendship."

With Lex so close, Clark found it hard to think, to form coherent thoughts or string together two words in response to Lex's statement. 'What is going on with me? I get tongue tied sometimes, but I only get this bad around Lana.' That was when the reality hit him like a ton a bricks. Scared. No, terrified is a better word to describe Clark's emotional state at that moment. Quickly, Clark pulled away from Lex's grip. Clark looked at the floor, the ceiling, the little blue water bottle, anything to keep from looking at Lex. Crumbling fast, Clark mumbled, "I've got to go. I'll see you around. Bye."

Those simple words spoken, Clark practically ran from the room.


CHAPTER TWO: A Little Shimmer Left Undone

If it weren’t for your maturity none of this would have happened,

If you weren’t so wise beyond your years I would have been able to control myself.

"Hands Clean" performed by Alanis Morissette

January 29, 2002

Luthor Castle

For the fifth time in the last ten minutes, Clark blushed. Fifteen minutes ago, Clark called 911 and told a faceless voice on the other end of the phone that Jeff attacked Lex Luthor. They said they’d be at the castle in twenty minutes. That’s why Clark was kneeling on the floor with a bunch of mostly invisible towels, rubbing green rose oil off of Jeff’s naked body.

At first, things had been okay. Jeff was mostly invisible. Clark was able to clean the paint and rose oil off Jeff’s face without too much trouble. Jeff’s shoulders and back weren’t all that hard either, but as Clark finished off Jeff’s legs and arms, the realization of what obviously came next was overwhelming.

Sure, Clark had seen naked boys before. The gym showers at school didn’t have stalls or curtains, just a square room with showerheads sticking out of the walls. Still, it was like the boys restroom, everyone averting their eyes, trying so hard to appear natural while not looking. Of course, you couldn’t help but see something, but you never wanted people to think you were trying to look at something.

Besides, seeing something and feeling something are vastly different things. Feeling makes the experience so much more real. Shutting his eyes tightly, Clark used an extra thick towel to wipe off the last of the oil off Jeff’s genitals and buttocks. Opening his eyes, Clark couldn’t stop himself from sneaking a peak at the boy before throwing a clean towel over the unconscious youth. He told himself it was so he’d be certain all of the green rose oil was gone. Yeah, of course.

Recently, Clark had gotten quite adept at self-deception. Why not? He deceived everyone else. Since he obviously knew himself so much better, deceiving himself should be that much easier and it was. Earlier tonight, Clark held a very sexy, very naked woman with questionable morals in his arms and never once blushed. He saw everything, but barely took notice. Clark tells himself it’s because he was concerned with her safety. ‘Sure.’

Do you see how good Clark is getting at self-deception? No? Here’s another example. Just the other day, Clark sat beside Lana Lang and told himself how happy he was. He almost kissed her and convinced himself that he was disappointed when Nell interrupted them. He could have had her, but never bothered to fight for her. Hell, he didn’t even really need to fight, she all but handed herself over to him on a silver platter, but Clark turned her away. That was for Whitney’s sake. Whitney needed her more and that made it simpler for Clark to lie about how easily he stepped aside.

Of all the deceptions to which Clark clung, the worst had to be the myriad of reasons Clark conjured to excuse his frequent visits to the Luthor Estate. He delivered vegetables. He returned gifts. All in an effort to spend a few more moments with the man who had become the focus of his life. On the street, at the Beanery, anywhere and everywhere, Clark always managed to find his way to Lex’s side. He told himself it was because Lex was his friend. After all, he saved Lex’s life and therefore felt a responsibility to protect the young billionaire. Besides, Lex would never want anything to do with some dumb kid. ‘Not like that, anyway. Right? Right.’

Of course, Clark often ignored many things simply because they refused to fit into the glittering world he’d created. For example, Clark ignored the obvious, casual way Lex touched only him. Clark ignored the ridiculous picture a hardworking businessman makes when he sits for hours, going over files in a coffee shop the businessman knows is a favorite after school hangout. Sure, it made perfect sense, if one was trying to not get any work done. Of course, Clark didn’t see it that way.

But then, Clark just didn’t want to see it. Clark didn’t want to remember the way Lex felt when he touched him. He didn’t want to remember how confused he was when he left Lex’s house all those months ago. He certainly didn’t want to think about how he struggled to think about girls while he jacked off, only to give in and imagine a masculine form when the frustration became too much to bear. Clark didn’t want to do many things, but he did them anyway.

Most of all, Clark didn’t want to hear Jeff’s taunts. He didn’t want to hear Jeff complaining, didn’t want to know Lex talked about him like he was something special. He really didn’t want to know this. He didn’t want to have to face it and everything it meant. He didn’t want to be walking across the room to where Lex laid in a crumpled heap. He certainly didn’t want to kneel down and gently tilt Lex’s head until the bald smoothness of it rested on his thighs. He didn’t want to trace Lex’s pale eyebrows with his thumb. He didn’t, but he did anyway.

--<{()}>--

Twenty Minutes Later

Relieved. The ambulance arrived fifteen minutes late but Clark was relieved all the same to hear the sirens scream up the drive. A hard knock banged on the front door and Clark used it as the perfect excuse to pull away from Lex. As Clark let in the emergency crew, Clark figured the two-man paramedics team seemed professional enough. They didn’t flinch, much, when they saw the naked boy or the unconscious man across the room. They didn’t ask difficult questions. They weren’t police and they really didn’t want to know. They just did their jobs. One inspected Jeff for serious injuries while the other waved smelling salts under Lex’s nose. After Lex was on his feet, the paramedics wrapped a blanket around Jeff and placed him on a stretcher.

Still shaky on his feet, Lex showed the paramedics out. Keeping his eyes on the unconscious boy, Lex gripped the wood tightly as he held the door open for the paramedics while they wheeled Jeff out. Closing his eyes, Lex felt the world spin, but it slammed into place when Clark touched his arm. Opening his eyes, Lex forced the edges of his lips up before pushing away from the door.

In Clark’s left hand, Lex saw his black topcoat. In a practiced fashion, Lex extended a hand to receive it. Clark surprised Lex when he spread the coat open and ran the sleeve up Lex’s right arm. With teenage clumsiness, Clark stepped behind Lex and helped Lex get his left arm in the other sleeve. Pushing the heavy wool up Lex’s biceps, Clark allowed his hands to linger on Lex’s shoulders for a second more than was required. Pulling away quickly, Clark stepped around Lex until he was standing beside him. Lex nodded at the door and Clark nodded in response. Together, they left the castle and walked down the stairs.

On the steps outside, they watched the ambulance get loaded. Unable to look away from the flashing red lights, Clark asked, "What do you think’s going to happen to Jeff?"

From just behind his left shoulder, Clark heard Lex reply, "A lot of serious therapy. Clearer question is how he made himself invisible."

"I don’t know. I guess the secret’s going to stay with him," Clark lied.

Behind Clark, Lex saw the tilt of the head and the tensing of Clark’s broad shoulders. ‘The surest sign of a lie,’ thought Lex. ‘You know something, don’t you, Clark?’ he wondered.

Turning his head to look at the castle’s darkened windows, Lex felt a flash of pain surge from his shoulders to the base of his skull. Grabbing at the back of his head, Lex hissed as he rubbed at the sore muscles.

"How’s your head?" Clark asked innocently as he turned on his x-ray vision, surveying the muscles and bone.

"I’ve survived worse. Can’t say the same about my Father’s antique collection," Lex replied, casually.

Frowning, Clark offered, "Sorry."

Smiling again, Lex looked at the castle again before turning back to Clark and saying, "Don’t be. My Mother always hated that room. ‘War is in our nature," she said. ‘We don’t need to put it on display.’"

Smiling, Clark said, "I think I would have liked your Mom."

Placing a hand on Clark’s arm, Lex said, "I think she would have liked you, too."

Finally, red lights flashing, the ambulance drove away. Alone, Lex and Clark stood side by side in silence until the red flashes became small like Christmas lights in the distant darkness.

Turning to his left, Clark noticed the blank expression Lex wore. Clark felt an ache in his chest, painful like only a bullet wound could be. Clark slid his right hand up his left arm until he found Lex’s hand. Covering Lex’s hand with his own, Clark waited for Lex’s eyes to meet his before hiding behind his concern. "How are you holding up?"

Looking down, Lex swallowed once before looking Clark in the eyes again. After a significant pause, Lex answered, "To tell you the truth, Clark, I’ve been better."

Squeezing Lex’s hand, Clark asked, "Would you like it if I stayed for a while?"

Lex’s eyes widened and the muscles of his face relaxed. Just before his mouth fell open, Lex recovered enough to inquire, "Would you?"

Smiling, Clark nodded. Moving his hand from Lex’s hand to Lex’s shoulder, Clark turned Lex towards the castle. As they walked up the steps, Clark said, "Yeah, I wouldn’t have offered if I wasn’t willing. Just let me call my Mom and let her know where I am."

Leaning toward Clark, Lex came dangerously close to placing his head on Clark’s shoulder as he sighed, "Okay. Thanks, Clark."

Together, Lex and Clark entered the castle. Once they passed the threshold, Clark made a beeline for the phone in the study while Lex waited at the foot of the central staircase. At Lex’s desk, Clark dialed his phone number. Leaning on the dark wood, Clark rehearsed various introductions and plausible storylines, before his Mother’s voice proclaimed, "Kent residence."

"Mom? It’s Clark. I need to ask a big favor," said Clark.

"Is everything okay, Clark?" rang his Mother’s concerned voice.

"Well, not exactly. You see, one of Lex’s employees attacked him, tonight," admitted Clark as he turned to look over at Lex. He watched Lex play with the buttons on his coat as he whispered, "He’s kind of shaken up. I don’t think he should be alone. Would it be okay if I stayed over here for a while? Please?"

The phone was silent for a second. Martha’s voice was strained as she reminded, "Clark, it’s a school night."

Rolling his eyes, Clark looked over at Lex again. This time, Lex was tapping the toe of his Italian loafers against the base of the staircase as he reached out two fingers and wiped a piece of lint off the banister. "I know, Mom, but if you could just see him, right now. I’m serious, Mom. The man is falling apart. He doesn’t have anybody else to do this for him."

Clark heard a heavy sigh come through the receiver before Martha answered, "Okay, Clark, but I expect you to come home by midnight. I want you waking up over here, understand?"

Smiling, Clark quickly agreed, "Sure. I’ll see ya in a few hours, Mom."

"Oh, Clark?" asked Martha.

"Yeah, Mom," answered Clark.

"Tell Lex if he needs anything, he’s welcome at the Kent farm."

"Thanks, Mom. He’ll be happy to hear that. Bye," replied Clark, a hint of laughter in his voice.

The same hint of laughter filled Martha’s voice as she said, "Bye," and hung up.

With a spring in his step, Clark half jogged back to where Lex was waiting. Turning to face Clark, Lex graced his friend with a raised eyebrow and a frown. "What did she say?"

Flashing a toothy grin, Clark replied, "She said I can stay, but I need to be home by midnight. Oh, and she said if you need anything, you should feel free to come over the my house anytime."

Absently, Lex took a half-step back. ‘Really?’ After a moment dragged by, Lex recognized the need for a swift response and since genuine kindness was completely outside of his recent experience, Lex fell back on the practiced responses his Mother taught him as a child. Composing himself, Lex tilted his head back slightly before answering flatly, "Well, since you will be seeing her before I do, you must extend my greatest appreciation to her."

Now, it was Clark’s turn to squint his eyes and shake his head. "I’ll do that."

Taking a step forward, Lex gripped Clark’s elbow and steered him into the entertainment room. Walking through the doorway, Lex stepped ahead of Clark, heading straight for the full bar in the far right corner, shrugging off his coat along the way. After ditching the coat by throwing it into a far corner, Lex poured himself a drink and asked, "What would you like to do, Clark? I’ve got pool, music, movies."

Looking around the room at all the possibilities, Clark stood by the door, terrified by the sudden reality that he had actually lied to his Mother so he could stay with Lex and here he was, with Lex. For a couple terrified seconds, Clark could only stand there and run the events leading up to this moment over and over again in his head. Finally, Clark fumbled onto a ‘hopefully safe’ response. "Uhh. How about a movie?"

With a lead crystal tumbler held between his thumb and pinky, Lex pointed at a six foot high by three foot wide cherry wood cabinet across the room. "My collection is in that cabinet. Your choice."

Following Lex’s direction, Clark looked to his left. Quickly, Clark crossed the room and pulled open the cabinet’s double doors. Clark’s eyes almost bounced from his head as he looked at the hundreds of DVDs stacked in alphabetical order. Every conceivable movie lay at his fingertips. Leaning in, Clark continued to grip the doors as he read the many titles. After the thirty DVDs in the A section, Clark’s head started to spin a little. Closing his eyes, Clark tried to take his time as he ran his eyes over the B section. Behind the Bs, something caught Clark’s eye. A section of wood paneling at the back of the cabinet appeared out of place. Cocking his head to the right, Clark couldn’t resist the impulse to activate his x-ray vision. Looking past the cherry wood, Clark realized the panel concealed a hidden compartment with what appeared to be a DVD in it.

Moving a few DVDs aside, Clark removed the panel and retrieved the DVD from inside the hidden compartment. Shocked at the title, Clark turned around quickly and said, "How about this one?"

Turning around, Lex almost dropped his drink when he saw Clark holding his treasured copy of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This time, Lex didn’t recover before his mouth fell open.

"How did you find that?" Lex questioned. "Victoria’s been nosing around this place for weeks and she hasn’t even been able to find that."

With a smug expression, Clark remarked, "Maybe, I know you better than she does."

Crossing the room, Lex sipped some of his thirty-year-old scotch. Stopping in front of Clark, Lex cocked his head to the side and replied, "Maybe, you do at that."

Holding up the DVD, Clark tapped the cover and asked, "So, spill. Why are you hiding this anyway?"

"Isn’t it obvious?" answered Lex.

Tapping the cover again, Clark refused to accept Lex’s answer. "No. Educate me, Lex. Tell me the reason why you have a Disney animated feature presentation hidden in the back of your cabinet."

Reaching out to grab the movie, Lex pursed his lips when Clark easily avoided him. Straightening up, Lex took a sip of his drink, allowing his response to be partially drowned by his swallow. "It’s my favorite movie. Happy?"

"Ecstatic," replied Clark. "Well, let’s watch this."

Placing his left hand firmly on Clark’s chest, Lex leaned in and said in a steady voice, "Not so fast, Kent. I’m expecting an oath of silence from you. Believe me, if I ever find out you’ve told anyone that my favorite film is a Disney cartoon, I will be forced to systematically hunt you down and kill you."

Laughing softly, Clark slapped Lex a couple times on the right arm with the DVD case. "Your secret is safe with me, Lex. That is so long as you keep mine."

Suddenly sober, Lex looked in Clark’s eyes and inquired, "Your secret?"

Blushing a deep crimson, Clark ducked his head to the right as he said, "Yeah, this is my favorite film, too."

"Get out!" exclaimed Lex.

"It’s true," assured Clark, "When it came out in the theatres I went like, at least nine times. I think my parents still have post-traumatic stress from back then."

Intensely, Lex stared at Clark. As Clark defended himself, Lex watched every nuance of Clark’s face and posture, but he never saw one untruthful twitch. Once Clark was done, Lex stood stiffly until he bent over from the force of his laughter. Clutching his stomach with his right arm, Lex fell forward, knocking his shoulder into Clark’s firm torso. Still leaning against Clark’s chest, Lex looked up at Clark’s smiling face and said, "Your parents? They went with you every time? Oh man, that’s love."

Wrapping an arm around Lex, Clark laughed, as he replied, "No, That’s supervision. I was nine when the Hunchback came out."

Immediately, Lex stopped laughing. Standing straight up, Lex looked at Clark warily. "Oh yeah. I forgot."

Uncomfortable, Clark asked, "You were 16, right?"

Nodding, Lex confirmed, "Yeah. Older than you are now."

Silence filled the room. Distracted, Clark never noticed when Lex reached out and tugged the DVD case out of his hand. Gracefully, Lex turned around and walked to the entertainment center. Punching the open button on the DVD player, Lex pried the case open as the DVD platform smoothly slid into place. With his index finger sticking through the center hole of the DVD, Lex glanced at Clark and waved at Clark to come over. "Let’s just watch the movie, okay."

Even his nod seemed to have a stutter as Clark replied, "Okay."

Side-by-side, Lex and Clark sat on the sofa. Almost touching, the unease of just a moment before forgotten as Lex picked up the remote and pressed play. Time passed pleasantly enough as the Gypsy, Clopin, introduced the characters. The story progressed as Lex and Clark allowed any residual tension in their bodies to seep away.

Several minutes into the film, Clark noted that some tension returned to Lex as Frollo sang:

"The world is cruel.

The world is wicked.

It’s I alone whom you can trust in this whole city"

Sneaking a glance at Lex, Clark watched Lex silently mouth the words along with the evil judge.

"You are deformed and, you are ugly.

And, these are crimes for which the world shows little pity."

Before Clark could react, he was pulled into his own verse. Absently, his lips twitched as he listened.

"Out there, they’ll revile you as a monster, (I am a monster)

Out there, they will hate and scorn and jeer, (Only a monster)"

Both Lex and Clark glanced at each other at the same time. They held each other’s attention for what felt like hours, but they snapped away from the shared hypnotic trance when a minute later another verse caught their attention instead.

"All my life I watch them as I hide up here alone,

Hungry for the histories they’ve shown me,

All my life I memorize their faces,

Knowing them as they will never know me,"

Glancing back at each other again, Lex smiled as Clark blushed. Returning their full attention to the movie, Clark and Lex allowed their shoulders and knees to brush against one another.

Over the next several minutes, Lex and Clark grew comfortable again, slouching down in their seats. On the screen, Esmeralda walked through Notre Dame, singing her solo. To his right, Clark heard a sigh. Turning his head, Clark witnessed the flash of emotion as it spread across Lex’s face. Realizing he was being watched, Lex turned and looked at Clark. With a soft whisper, Lex confessed, "This is my favorite part."

Nodding, Clark concurred, "Mine, too."

Not wanting to do anything else, Lex continued to look at Clark as the movie played, filling the room with the song’s haunting melody.

‘Why do you have to be fifteen?’ Thought Lex.

Eyes wide open, Clark swallowed hard. Lex hadn’t moved, but seemed closer to him somehow. In awe, Clark felt his lips part slightly. All the lies. Not the lies said for other people’s benefit, but his lies to himself were catching up to him. In Lex’s eyes, Clark clearly saw the certainty of the moment. Absently licking his lips, Clark realized, ‘I don’t want to deny this anymore.’

Transfixed, they stared at each other as the chorus sang:

"I ask for wealth,

I ask for fame,

I ask for glory to shine on my name.

I ask for love I can possess"

At the word love, Clark leaned forward, but a hand on his chest stopped him.

His forehead creased, Lex ordered, "Don’t, Clark."

Pulling away slightly, Clark searched Lex’s face as he asked, "Why? All I want is to let you know-"

Shifting in his seat, Lex put up a hand to stop Clark. Quickly, Lex turned toward Clark. Dragging his left leg up on the sofa, Lex tucked his left foot under his right leg, effectively placing a barrier between him and Clark. Once situated on the couch, Lex withdrew his hand from Clark’s chest, sliding it a second later along the long line of his scalp. "Y’know, I had an eerily similar conversation with Jeff. It involved me saying this kind of thing could get me arrested."

Leaning forward again, Clark pressed his point, "But, Lex, I-"

Two of Lex’s fingers silenced Clark. Placed on Clark’s soft lips, Lex’s fingers barely grazed the tender flesh. At the same time, Lex’s lips puckered in a silent shh. "Don’t. Please, Clark. I think I know what you’re going to say and I can’t let you say it."

Pulling away, Clark squinted and demanded, "Why?"

Resting his forehead on the sofa, Lex let his hand fall to his lap. His forehead still pressed against the sofa cushions, Lex turned his head enough to look at Clark with his right eye. "God, Clark."

Raising his head, Lex looked Clark in the eyes. "Look, I could go to jail. Understand? I don’t go to jail for anyone, Clark."

Bowing his head, Lex stared at the places where Clark’s thigh and his leg touched. "If you were older, Clark – Sure. In a moment. But, you’re not older."

Face flushed for once from something other than embarrassment, Clark challenged Lex. "Then, when? When, Lex? When will I be old enough?"

Closing his eyes, Lex warned, "Clark."

"No, Lex. When?" Clark slammed a fist against the sofa only barely remembering his Father’s many lessons on control.

"Look at me," ordered Clark. Once Lex’s eyes met Clark’s, Clark asked again, "When?"

Turning in his seat, Lex let his back sink into the sofa cushions. Slowly, Lex let his head fall to the left. "When’s your birthday, Clark?"

"June 21st, 1986."

"Oh, man." Sitting forward, Lex rubbed his scalp with both of his hands. Slowly, he brought his hands forward until his face rested in them. "I hadn’t realized."

Glancing at Clark through a pair of spread fingers, Lex inquired, "1986, huh?" Once Clark nodded, Lex continued, "Yeah, I guess the math works out. You do realize I was born in the 70s, right?"

For a second, Clark’s eyes rolled up. Coming back down, Clark eyes flashed as he shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. You were born in 1979, right? I really hadn’t thought about it, but like you said – the math works out."

The matter of fact tone with which Clark offered the final testimonial was Lex’s undoing. Painfully, Lex started to laugh. Shaking his head, Lex said, "You’ll be the death of me, yet Kent. Okay. On your birthday, you can ask me anything you want, but until then, just be my friend. Let me play the older brother, just until your birthday. Okay?"

Nodding, Clark agreed, "Okay. Until my birthday."

"Good," Lex commented as he picked up the remote control, pointed it at the DVD player and asked, "Now that’s settled, do you want me to take it back?"

For a second, confusion and a bit of fear crossed Clark’s face, but then Clark saw the remote in Lex’s hand. Clark was relieved, but wanted to leave nothing to doubt. Shaking his head, Clark answered, "No. Lets just watch it from here. I mean. We both know what happened before."

With understanding, Lex nodded and put down the remote. Together, Lex and Clark sat back on the sofa and watched the rest of the movie.

--<{()}>--

An Hour Later

The hands of the clock on the wall shifted close to Midnight. In less than an hour, Martha expected her boy to be home. As the credits ran on the TV, Clark stood up and stretched clumsily, almost falling over at one point. Looking down at Lex, Clark said, "I think I should be getting home, now."

Nodding, Lex stood up and stretched like a cat, earning a jealous glare from Clark. Laughing under his breath, Lex clamped his hand over Clark’s shoulder and led him from the room.

At the front door, Lex opened the door to let Clark out. Clark walked up to the doorway easily enough before coming to a complete stop in the middle of it. Turning around, Clark asked, "Are you going to be okay?"

Smiling at Clark’s question, Lex nodded. "Yes, I should be fine."

Cocking his head to the side, Clark asked, "Is Victoria really coming back from Metropolis in a couple days?"

Nodding, Lex answered, "Yes, Clark. She decided to come back. Of course, when I spoke to her earlier, she made it very clear that she would be spending the better part of tonight communing with the God named Valium."

"When will she be going back to Metropolis for good?" asked Clark.

Lex looked at Clark with something between a glance and a glare. "When one of us gets tired of having the other around."

Clark nodded in understanding. He seemed satisfied with that for a second because he started to turn away, however, in mid step, Clark stopped. Turning just his head back, Clark looked Lex directly in the eyes and asked, "Have you gotten tired of her, yet?"

Without hesitation, Lex answered, "No."

CHAPTER THREE: What The Reaper Never Told Us

You see, in all my life I’ve never found,

What I couldn’t resist, what I couldn’t turn down,

I could walk away from anyone I ever knew,

But I can’t walk away from you..

- "I’m Shameless" performed by Garth Brooks.



April 10, 2002

Metropolis, Kansas

"Well done." A compliment. An honest to God compliment from a man not known to give compliments. It was more than Lex could bear.

In his heart, Lex knew he didn’t deserve a compliment for what he did. He didn’t want one either. He didn’t want a slap on the back for drugging, binding and gagging another Human being. Glancing down at the watch on his wrist, Lex could clearly see his Mother’s face. From the Napoleon Franc, Lex swore he could see her frowning back at him. No, his Mother wouldn’t have been proud of this.

Stepping into his Father’s limousine, Lex didn’t bother to wait for his Father. Instead, he ordered the chauffeur to take him to the Luthor penthouse, said his Father would be driving the other car back to his office.

The chauffeur nodded and said, "As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

As he wished. Lex sat back and let that thought wash over him. Lex could have whatever his mind imagined. He could have anything. Correction, Lex already had everything - expensive cars, fancy clothes and beautiful women. If he preferred, there was more than one young man that Lex could have, as well. Just required a phone call to get any of it – The cars, the clothes, the women, the men.

At that moment, Lex’s cell phone vibrated. Pulling the slender, plastic phone out of his inner jacket pocket, Lex flipped it open and brought it up to his ear. "Luthor, here."

"Lex?" asked a timid male voice.

"Clark?" answered Lex.

"Hi! I hope I’m not interrupting anything. Your secretary, Sheila, gave me your cell number. I hope you don’t mind," Clark rambled.

"Of course, not. You’re on the approved list. What do you need, Clark?" answered Lex as he pushed the button on his armrest that caused a soundproof screen to separate him from the chauffeur.

"Well, it’s not about me, exactly. I just came back from the hospital. Whitney’s Dad isn’t doing too good. They don’t know how much longer he has," answered Clark with the slightest crack of emotion in his voice.

"I’m sorry to hear that, Clark, especially since it appears to be hurting you so much, but what does Whitney’s Dad have to do with me?" Lex inquired.

"You own the Metropolis Sharks, right?" asked Clark.

"Well, to be really technical, Clark my Father owns them. What about them?," replied Lex.

"I was talking to Whitney, earlier. His Father’s greatest wish is see Whitney play for the Metropolis Sharks. I was thinking that maybe you could pull some strings and get the Sharks to agree to play a couple games with Whitney on the team."

Shaking his head in disbelief, Lex asked, "Are you honestly asking me to do something nice for the guy that strung you up and left you out in a cornfield?"

"Well, yeah. The whole cornfield thing. That was a long time ago. It’s water under the bridge," replied Clark.

‘This kid’s too good to be true,’ thought Lex. "Okay, Clark. For you, but only for you, not for that piece of small time that thinks he’s big time."

"Thanks, Lex. When can you get it arranged because it would be better sooner than later?" asked Clark.

"How’s a couple days sound?" answered Lex.

"Great! Thanks a lot, Lex," exclaimed Clark.

"Clark, it’s like I said, for you, it’s no problem. Let me make some phone calls and I’ll get back to you on this, tomorrow," Lex said, with a smile on his face.

"Sure. Okay. I’ll talk to you, tomorrow, Lex. And, thanks again," answered Clark, enthusiastically.

With a hesitant click, Lex’s phone went silent. Slowly, Lex closed his phone and placed it back in his inner jacket pocket. Bringing his left hand up, Lex glanced at the watch his Mother gave him again. This time, the face that looked back at him was smiling.

--<{()}>--

Later At The Luthor Penthouse

The ice in Lex’s Scotch on the rocks barely had time to melt before an unwanted intrusion landed on Lex’s doorstep.

Reluctantly, Lex answered the doorman’s page on the third ring. The doorman used a practiced, cordial greeting before informing Lex that a man from the Inquisitor was here to see him. Over the line, Lex could here a shuffle and an exchange of vulgarities before a familiar voice said, "Lex. It’s me, Roger. Tell this guy to let me up."

Groaning, Lex waited until he heard the doorman regain control of the phone. Once Lex was sure the doorman was listening, he ordered, "Send him up, Sidney."

A few minutes later, the door to the penthouse opened. Sporting a polyester suit and an incredibly severe receding hairline, Roger Nixon entered the penthouse with a spring in his step. Not giving Lex a chance to speak, Nixon started with: "Heard you were in town. Thought I would drop by."

Placing his drink on the full bar, Lex buttoned his jacket as he stated, "Roger, I am a busy man."

"Of course, you are. You’re Lex Luthor," answered Roger, appearing to be the cat that ate the canary.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Lex said, "Get on with it, Roger or get out."

"Okay," replied Roger. "I’ve been doing some research."

Frowning, Lex warned, "This research wouldn’t at all be related to the research I told you to stop doing, because if it is; I’m not going to be very happy."

Roger’s smile faltered for a second before he clapped his hands together. "I’ve always fulfilled my end of our bargain. My end and then some. You do remember the lovely set of pictures I gave you during your last trip to Metropolis, don’t you? I remember Ms. Hardwick looked particularly striking in them."

Crossing the room, Roger came to stand a couple of feet in front of Lex. "As for that little research project you initially commanded I take on, let us just say that there are too many contradictions, too many explanations that don’t fit the science. In short, there are too many loose ends to just leave it alone. Fact is, I still contend that the evidence shows that your Porsche hit the Kent boy at 60 miles an hour."

Through thinly pressed lips, Lex responded, "Too bad the hospital report of Clark’s bruised ribs blew your theory out of the water."

Roger allowed time to pass, to stretch the moment into a dramatic pause, "Not necessarily I’ve found further proof."

Narrowing his eyes, Lex growled, "I told you to stop this investigation, Roger."

Waving his right hand at Lex, Roger commented, "Yeah, but you didn’t mean it."

In a rush of anger, Lex turned toward the bar, retrieved his glass. A second later, the crystal tumbler sailed through the air, smashing against the wall. Turning cold eyes on Nixon, Lex commanded, "Don’t tell me what I mean, Roger. I was very clear. Stop investigating the crash and leave the Kents alone."

Nodding, Roger replied, "Yeah, but you never mentioned the meteor shower. Funny thing that. As I investigated the meteor shower, my attention was pulled over and over again to the Kents. I tried to avoid them, at first, but it became impossible after a while."

Intrigued, despite himself, Lex cocked his head to the side. "Excuse me?"

Picking up on Lex’s interest, Roger became more animated, waving his hands wildly as he explained; "I came upon a story in an old issue of the Inquisitor. Apparently, a crop duster from Smallville was flying his plane on the day the meteors fell."

Impatient, Lex commented, "There is a point to this, I hope."

"Of course. You see, this pilot claimed he saw a U.F.O. fall along with the meteors that day," said Roger, excitedly.

Rolling his eyes and his head along with them, Lex quipped, "A U.F.O. story in the Inquisitor? Now, there’s a seldom seen phenomenon."

Bringing up both of his hands palm out, Roger pleaded, "Hear me out."

Shifting his weight to his left leg, Lex leaned back as he motioned with his left hand for Roger to go on. Nodding, Roger said, "I checked out this pilot. He’s a real guy who still lives in Smallville. After the article, his life went down the toilet, seems some people thought he’d gone a little crazy. His pilot’s license was revoked and his wife left him. After all that, this man still swears that he saw a small, oval pod on the day of the meteor shower. He claims the pod landed in a field that runs along Route 90 – a road leading out of Smallville. The road in question leads to the Kent farm."

Chuckling softly under his breath, Lex countered, "What’s your point, Roger? Of course, this man still holds to his story. It’s all he has to hold onto, now. Besides, I know the road of which you’re speaking. Sure, it leads to the Kent farm, but it also leads to five other farms, two stand alone houses and several roadside vegetable stands."

Pointing with his index finger, Roger made his point, "But the roadside vegetable stand owner didn’t adopt a young boy shortly after the meteor shower."

Intently, Roger watched Lex connect the dots. As he watched the light dawn in Lex’s eyes, Roger continued, "I investigated the Kent boy’s adoption. The charity the Kent’s used was only open for six months and it only produced one adoption."

Once Roger was silent, Lex turned away and walked across the room. Standing at the door, Lex paused. Turning around, Lex stated in a cool, steady voice, "I’m only going to tell you this one more time. The Kents are off-limits. You are not to investigate them, speak to them or go anywhere near them."

Reaching to his right toward the penthouse doors, Lex grabbed the doorknob. Opening the door wide, Lex ordered, "Now, get out."

Roger Nixon chewed on his lower lip. His face flushed with anger and his eyes narrowed. With heavy footfalls, Roger marched from the room. At the doorway, Lex stopped him. "Roger. Don’t ever forget I own you. Your association with me is for my benefit and my associations follow the same rules as baseball – three strikes and you’re out. Consider this strike one."

Roger didn’t nod. He just returned Lex’s stony gaze. After a moment, Roger shifted his eyes down and away from Lex’s penetrating stare. His head bowed down, Roger walked away and boarded the waiting elevator without saying a word.

Returning to the solitude of his penthouse apartment, Lex found his way to the phone. Dialing the number from memory, Lex spoke as soon as the phone picked up on the other end. "Simon, this is Lex Luthor. I need you to follow someone. His name is Roger Nixon and he works as a reporter for the Inquisitor."

From the other end, Simon asked, "Does your Father know about this?"

"No, and he is never to know," answered Lex.

"Fair enough. Where is this guy now?"

"Right now, he’s in an elevator going down the eighty-nine floors that exist between the penthouse and the ground floor of this fine hotel," replied Lex.

"Short notice, huh? Okay, I’ve got some boys near there. What’s he look like?"

"He’s wearing polyester," replied Lex, in a completely serious tone.

"Well, that should make him easy enough to spot in that part of town," said Simon, with a slight chuckle.

"I’ll call you tomorrow for the results."

"Sure thing, Mr. Luthor."

--<{()}>--

Later That Night

Determined. With a mission, Lex entered his suite of rooms. There, he found the clothes he had no use for in Smallville. His suit jacket found itself piled on the floor, Lex’s business shirt and ironed pants soon followed. Walking into his closet, Lex pulled a pair of shiny, black, leather slacks off one of the rods. Reaching into a nearby set of drawers, Lex pulled out a pouch of fine, white powder. Liberally, Lex rubbed the powder onto his legs, buttocks and back, coating his skin completely in a thick layer of the powder.

Gently, Lex pulled the slightly stiff apparel up his long legs, feeling it slide effortlessly over the silky powder. Leaving the pants undone, Lex reached out and pulled down a sparkling, blood red shirt. Fluidly, Lex pulled the shirt over his head, thrusting his arms through long, form fitting sleeves. Off a set of hooks, Lex grabbed a three quarter length, black leather coat, before exiting the walk-in closet.

In anticipation of the night’s activities, Lex was mindful of his appearance. In front of his full-length mirror, Lex was meticulous in his presentation. Carefully, he tucked his shirt into his pants, watchful to not create any creases in the thin leather as he buttoned them and pulled up the zipper. Tugging at his shoulder seams, Lex centered the pointed neckline that exposed narrow slits of pale white shoulder, but still hugged the neck in front and back. Taking a step back, Lex inspected himself for clean lines, wiping creases and wrinkles out of the spongy, double-knit sateen.

Grabbing his jacket, Lex exited the penthouse. Blissfully, Lex reveled in the feel of the cool sateen material caressing his chest while the snug heat of the leather pants hugged him below the waist. Gracefully, he swung his leather coat on, tugging at the collar to mold the hide to his neck and shoulders. Alight with energy, Lex pushed the elevator button several times as he waited for the doors to open.

Once inside the elevator, Lex went over his goal again. Lex planned to find a substitute for his Clark Kent obsession. Something tall, dark and willing to be put up in an apartment was exactly what the doctor prescribed. Lex was sure of it.

The elevator doors chose that moment to open onto the ground floor. Lex left the elevator behind and exited the hotel quickly. Outside, he waved off a limo and let the doorman hail him a cab. In the taxi, Lex told the driver the name of his favorite combat zone nightspot since Club Zero closed its doors then sat back. To Lex’s chagrin, the taxicab driver wasn’t a chatterbox. Silence filled the cab and left Lex with his repeating stream of thought.

Since the day Clark pulled Lex from the river, Lex had obsessed over the teen. Only the unwillingness on Lex’s part to do jail time made Lex resist the urge to throw the boy up against the nearest wall. Lex needed to walk away from Clark. He knew that, now. This wasn’t about Lex Luthor, anymore. He needed to leave Clark behind for Clark’s own good.

Especially, if what Roger said was true. A forged adoption certificate was something that could come back to haunt Clark. Especially, if Clark belonged to Lex.

Possessing Clark was something Lex very much desired, but the vestiges of a soul within him screamed it could only end badly. It would end badly and Clark would be left much worse off than Lex, but still Lex fantasized about Clark.

Fact was, Lex cared. He cared about Clark like he hadn’t cared about anything or anyone since his Mother died. Therefore, Lex didn’t want to be the corrupting influence that entered Clark’s life. Lex liked Clark. He liked Clark as he was – Blushing innocence. Still, Lex wondered what would replace the blush once experience stepped onto the stage. Whatever it was, Lex just knew it would be delicious. In his mind, Lex saw himself doing kinky, freaky things to Clark’s young flesh, things he knew would always be a little beyond anything Clark could ever accept.

Smacking himself mentally, Lex reminded his raging testosterone that Clark was untouchable. Clark was a miracle from which Lex needed to walk away.

‘Maybe, I just need to get him out of my system,’ mused Lex. Maybe, but he could never use Clark like that. No, but some unknown slut would do.

Up until tonight, Lex’s being in Smallville eliminated this possibility. Now, Lex was in Metropolis with some time to spare. Now, Lex could partake of the anonymity the city offered. As the taxi came to a stop, Lex paid his fare then stepped out onto the curb with the bearings of a hunter searching for the perfect prey.

Flashing a wad of green at the doorman, Lex gained easy access to the flock. For the next half hour, Lex patrolled the masses of squirming male bodies looking for the perfect catch – Something lean and muscular in a brunette package would be perfect. Alas, Lex couldn’t find anyone tall enough, fit enough, youthful enough.

Almost ready to call it quits, Lex spied his salvation by the bar. Standing amongst a small group of friends, he seemed out of place. Sure, like everybody else, the stranger resembled an extra from that WB show, Angel, but something about his face just didn’t seem hard enough for this place. His hair was black, but spiked up in a fashion reminiscent of the aforementioned vampire. He was almost as tall as Clark and his build was perfect. Lex couldn’t have asked for a better stand-in.

Turning on the charm, Lex moved in for the kill. Confidently, Lex introduced himself and wasn’t surprised to see the man’s eyes grow large at the name "Luthor." Within minutes, Lex separated the dark stranger from his buddies and pulled him onto the dance floor.

Seductively, Lex danced. Slowly, he drew the stranger closer. Placing his hands on wool-covered hips, Lex pulled him closer. Leaning forward, Lex ground their groins together as he delicately kissed the man’s soft lips. With featherlike touches, Lex drew his hands up the man’s sides, shoulders and neck. Threading his fingers into the man’s short hair, Lex opened his mouth, taking the stranger’s bottom lip between his teeth. Clenching the bit of flesh firmly, Lex slid his teeth back and forth as he flicked his tongue across the swollen, quivering lip.

Grabbing fistfuls of hair, Lex pulled away. Looking up at the stranger’s eyes, Lex swore he saw a shadow of Clark in the stranger’s blush. Forcefully, Lex pulled the stranger into a brutal, open-mouthed kiss.

Wrestling on the dance floor, Lex felt the man’s hands. First, on his arms, braced from the shock of that powerful kiss. Next, Lex felt the hands slide up his arms only to clutch his shoulders and go no further. Freeing his left hand, Lex pulled the man’s right hand off his shoulder and placed it on his hip. Though it took a few seconds, Lex felt the man grow bold and reach around to squeeze Lex’s ass.

Then, Lex pulled away. Rocking his pelvis forward, Lex rubbed against the stranger’s erection. Smiling, Lex was pleased at the color that rose up the man’s neck and filled his face. Reaching behind his back, Lex grabbed the hand kneading his ass. Turning, Lex didn’t look back as he led the stranger out the back of the club.

Outside, in the alley behind the club, dim streetlights illuminated the evidence of previous encounters in this lonely passageway. Long since dried patterns of ejaculate painted the brick. Used condoms and empty bottles of lube littered the ground. The only good thing about the dirty thoroughfare was its seclusion and ear shattering silence.

As Lex closed the back door, the sound of the music faded almost to nothing. All one could hear was the bass. Really, you felt it more than heard it. The pounding rhythm seeped up from the ground and shook Lex at the knees. Curiously, he watched as the man looked around. Walking over, Lex maneuvered himself so he pressed against the man’s back. Molding his body to meet the other man’s curves and lines, Lex wrapped his hands around the stranger.

Easily, Lex grabbed the man’s shirt and spun him around. Reaching into his pocket, Lex pulled out a tube of oil. Lex seized the man’s right hand and pressed the tube into the palm of that hand. Turning around, Lex walked over to the nearest wall and braced himself against it.

Lex expected a quick, hard fuck. Lex wanted something totally unlike Clark with someone who could sort of be Clark. What Lex got was a nervous hand that reached around and fumbled with the button on Lex’s pants. Lex felt the trembling fingers as they pulled his zipper down. Lex heard a sigh as his ass was exposed after gentle hands pushed Lex’s pants down off his hips. Lex started to wonder what he got himself into when he felt the man roll up his leather jacket, leaving it to rest on Lex’s back, well out of the way. In disbelief, Lex felt a single, slick finger probe gingerly around his asshole before pushing inside.

Incredulously, Lex shook his head. ‘Why me?’ he asked, without speaking. Lex thought this is exactly what sex with Clark would feel like – soft, slow and gentle. The large hand rubbing his back could be Clark’s hand. The second finger pushing slowly into his ass could easily be Clark’s finger.

Finally, the man withdrew his fingers. Lex heard the sound of ripped plastic and paper as the man took out a condom. Slick and hard, the stranger entered Lex slowly from behind. After he was fully sheathed within Lex, the stranger paused to ease the tension out of Lex’s lower back, rubbing the muscles with his thumbs. Soon, the stranger’s strong fingers found their way to Lex’s hips. Setting an easy rhythm, the man drove into Lex as he kissed the back of Lex’s head. After a few minutes, Lex could feel urgency in the man’s movements. Grateful to be done with this failed attempt to forget about Clark, Lex pushed back against the man’s rocking hips.

‘I guess the guy really isn’t a dick,’ thought Lex as he felt the man’s hand slide forward. Wrapping his oiled hand around Lex’s erection, the stranger pumped Lex with the same rhythm he used to fuck him. His head resting on his arms, Lex felt the man’s chest press against his back as they slammed against each other. Absently, Lex felt the man wrap his other arm around Lex’s waist, pulling Lex even closer.

By that point, nothing mattered really. In his mind, Lex felt Clark. In front of his closed eyes, Lex saw Clark. Those moans Lex heard just a second ago were Clark’s – not some stranger’s – Clark’s.

They just had to be. Lex, wanted it so badly. They just had to be, but they weren’t. As Lex came, splattering the wall and ground in front of him, he was overcome with an ache. It filled every muscle of his body. It was like a physical pain that couldn’t be shrugged off. Pushing away from the wall, Lex felt the man fall away from him and stagger backwards. Without looking back, Lex pulled up his pants, tucked in his shirt and reentered the club.

--<{()}>--

Thirty Minutes Later

Luthor Penthouse

Slamming the door hard, Lex stomped into the Luthor penthouse. Without pause, he marched directly over to the full bar and poured himself three fingers of scotch – no ice this time. Kicking it back, Lex swallowed the whole glassful in one long gulp, swishing it around before letting it burn its way down his throat. Banging the tumbler down, Lex wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Leaning forward, Lex reached down and placed his hands on the smooth bar. Soon, both of Lex’s hands gripped the edge of the bar, holding him in place until he found the strength to turn around.

"I see you’ve gone clubbing. How precious. And, home by two – How considerate," sneered Lionel Luthor from the hallway, dressed in a black robe.

Rocking a kink out of his neck, Lex pushed away from the bar. "This has never been a home, Dad."

Lex walked up to his Father. Attempting to find solace in sleep, Lex moved to go around Lionel’s condescending form, but a hand on his arm stopped Lex in his tracks. The hand on Lex’s arm shook him roughly when Lex didn’t look at Lionel immediately. Glancing reluctantly in his Father’s direction, Lex watched as his Father leaned in and hissed, "To think, I thought you had changed."

Letting go of Lex’s arm, Lionel walked away from Lex. As he got to the door to his suite at the end of the hall, Lionel called back, "Do try and avoid any messy little diseases, Lex. My money can’t buy everything, you know."

‘Can this night get any worse?’ thought Lex as he walked slowly down the hallway and opened the door next to his Father’s that led to his own suite of rooms.

Inside his bedroom, Lex strolled over to the dresser opposite his bed and opened his valet. Inside, he found his cell phone and his Mother’s watch. Picking up the cell phone, Lex couldn’t bear to look at the watch, choosing instead to leave it there. Closing the lid, Lex turned on the cell phone and punched in a phone number from memory. On the other end, a sleepy voice sounded, "Simon, here."

"Where did Roger Nixon go after he left the penthouse?" asked Lex.

"I thought you were going to call in the morning," replied Simon, grunting and hacking as he forced himself awake.

"I decided I want to know now," said Lex with a calm, cool voice.

Simon grunted a bit more as he stood. Lex listened as Simon shuffled some papers and turned on a computer. Finally, Simon cleared his voice and said, "Alright, you’re the boss. Okay. Let’s see. Your pal, Roger, was followed from the penthouse to a bar called "The Purple Shamrock" where he made a phone call on his cell. Easy enough to patch into. He spoke to a woman named "Bev" who apparently works for Social Services. They discussed "Bev" giving Roger the original file of some adoption records in exchange for $10,000 dollars. They agreed to meet Tuesday at a restaurant Downtown called "Chilango’s" where they will make the exchange. From there,"

"That’s enough," stated Lex. Pushing the mute button on the phone, Lex let forth a string of obscenities while he punched at the wall. Bringing the phone back to his ear, Lex composed himself and pushed the mute button again.

"Simon, where is Mr. Nixon, now?" asked Lex.

"His home at 610 Reynard Way." Answered Simon.

Gripping the phone tightly, Lex ordered, "Simon, I want you to swing by the penthouse in half an hour with a couple of your boys. I want you to pay Roger a visit, tonight and I’ll be tagging along for the ride."

"Mr. Luthor, it would be better if you didn’t involve yourself in this. Go to a club. Go anywhere, just so long as you’re seen," replied Simon.

"Thanks for the words of wisdom, but this piece of trash will never talk. Just be here in thirty minutes," said Lex.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Luthor."

The line went dead. Upon hearing the click, Lex threw the phone as hard as he could against the far wall, shattering it. Quickly, Lex ran to his bathroom and showered.

Wrapped in a towel, Lex came out of the bathroom ten minutes later. Dripping wet, Lex pulled a suit out of his closet and threw it on the bed. Scrubbing, almost scratching at his skin, Lex dried himself off. With just minutes to spare, Lex pulled on his black suit and plum shirt. Glancing at the valet, Lex debated for half a second before lifting the lid and grabbing his Mother’s watch.

As he entered the elevator, Lex put on his watch, covering it quickly with his sleeve.

On the ground floor, Lex recognized Simon’s obese form and bad tailoring. Flanked on both sides by one of his boys, Simon stepped forward and shook Lex’s hand.

Gesturing toward the hotel’s entrance, Simon led Lex outside. As they waited for the valet to arrive, Simon leaned over to Lex and asked, "Are you sure about this, Mr. Luthor?"

Lex nodded, in response.

--<{()}>--

About An Hour Later

With a blunt thud, the crowbar landed squarely across the small of his back. Lurching forward, Roger Nixon felt his kidneys burn. For the second time that night, Roger soiled himself as he begged for mercy. The three men had beaten him for over a half hour with no explanation.

Already, Roger couldn’t feel the left side of his face. His shoulders ached from him being held up by his arms. Two men held him while a portly man punched, kicked and occasionally used foreign objects, like the crow bar on him. His legs buckling beneath him, Roger Nixon was far beyond any desire to preserve dignity as he cried like a baby, pleading for help.

"Take a break for a while," said a shadowed figure from the back of the warehouse.

Trying to see his enemy, Roger focused his one good eye on the figure in the darkness. Slowly, the person stepped forward. The shadows fell away and Roger Nixon almost swallowed his own tongue at the sight of Lex Luthor.

"Hello, Roger. I guess you’re hard of hearing, aren’t you?" Lex taunted. Walking over to Roger, Lex bent down a bit to see into Roger’s one good eye. "Did you really think that I wouldn’t find out? It seems you haven’t figured out yet, Roger that I know everything. I know about the little rendezvous you have scheduled with Bev on Tuesday. I know about the $10,000 dollar deal. I know everything , Roger."

Standing back up, Lex questioned, "Remember my rules, Roger? Like baseball, remember? Consider this, strike two. I’m going to be watching you very closely, Roger and if I even suspect that you’re investigating the Kents in any way – I’ll have you killed."

Stepping away, Lex walked toward the warehouse’s main doors. As he pulled the door open, Lex called back, "Leave the Kents alone. This is your final warning. Remember – Three strikes and you’re out."

Stepping through the doorway, Lex heard Simon resume Roger’s punishment. Putting one foot in front of the other, Lex heard Roger’s pitiful moans recommence as he left the warehouse behind. Walking away, Lex kept his eyes dead ahead. He didn’t look back. He didn’t dare look down. He couldn’t. He wouldn’t take the chance of glimpsing at the watch that weighed so heavily on his arm.

In his mind, Lex thought of the Kents. He thought of Clark. He thought of the trouble he was saving them. He thought about how it was he who was saving Clark, this time.

Shaking his wrist, Lex tried to stop the irritating way the band pinched at his skin. He wrapped his hand over the clock face and slid the watch over his wrist, first one way and then back the other way. For good measure, he shook his wrist once more before letting his wrist fall to his side. Again, the platinum tickled his wrist and still, Lex refused to look at it, afraid he wouldn’t see a smiling face.



CHAPTER FOUR: Crush Revisited

With this chapter, I start to seriously depart from verse. As you’ve probably already noticed, I’ve pushed up the Roger Nixon storyline. Now, more than ever, my "If I mention it, then it changed. If I don’t mention it, it didn’t change" rule applies.

Mama, just killed a man,

Put a gun against his head,

Pulled my trigger now he’s dead,

- "Bohemian Rhapsody" performed by Queen



April 25, 2002

Luthor Towers – Metropolis, Kansas



"What’s the meaning of this?" yelled Roger Nixon as he limped into Lex’s office.

Waved about frantically, a copy of the latest issue of the Metropolis Journal was as worse for wear as the man who gripped it in a tightly clenched fist. With a loud thud, the man slammed the folded newsprint on Lex’s mahogany desk, then stood back and waited for a response.

Glancing up at Roger’s bruised body, Lex smirked. Leaning back in his chair, Lex ran his eyes from the yellow-green bruises on Roger’s face to the mobile cast enclosing Roger’s left wrist to the cheap, metal cane held tightly in Roger’s left hand. Allowing his eyes to follow this path of descent, Lex soon found himself staring at the top of his own desk.

Staring back at Lex from the gray and black newsprint was himself. Reaching out without leaning forward, Lex picked up the crumpled newspaper. With the tips of his manicured fingers, Lex gripped it by the fold firmly. With a few slow flicks of his wrist, Lex shook the worse wrinkles from the paper and proceeded to hold it up before his face. As if reading the headline, Lex scrutinized his cover picture.

Finally, Lex lowered the newspaper just enough to see Roger’s flustered face. Meeting Roger’s eyes, Lex replied flippantly, "Good PR."

"Why this Kerrie Castle and not me?" demanded Roger.

Slowly, Lex placed the paper down on his desk. Leaning back even further in his chair, Lex interlaced his fingers over his chest and answered, "I found her more deserving."

"You son of a bitch!"

With speed Lex didn’t imagine Roger Nixon could possess in his present condition, Roger raised his cane, slamming it down on Lex’s desk. Leaning over the desk, Roger pointed at Lex with an accusing right index finger. "First, you do this to me, then you give this slut your story and a plum managing editor position."

Pulling his cane off the mahogany surface, Roger raged on. His gestures became wild. His lip’s curled in anger. Stained red with blood, Roger’s left eye bulged wildly. Standing straighter, Roger sneered, "What did she do – give you the best blowjob of your life? Or, did she have to do more?"

Free of emotion, Lex’s eyes glowed darkly. With a steady, commanding voice, Lex warned, "You forget yourself, Roger."

"Oh, do I?" replied Roger, sarcastically.

Out of his chair, Lex stood in a fluid manner. Letting momentum add power to his gesture, Lex slammed his open hand onto the desk’s hard wood surface. "Yes, you do."

Walking around his desk, Lex closed in the distance between him and Roger. Standing over Roger, Lex eye’s narrowed as they looked down. "I don’t answer to you. You answer to me. Understand?"

Shaking with rage, Roger jabbed at Lex’s chest with his right index finger. "You push me too far, Luthor. Just watch, one of these days, you’ll learn that a kicked dog still has fangs."

Swiftly, Lex kicked out Roger’s cane. Smirking cruelly, Luthor watched as Roger fell with a sharp crack onto his right knee. Sliding his hands into his pants pockets, Lex mocked, "Why, Roger that sounded suspiciously like a threat."

Struggling to his feet, Roger snapped, "You take it however you want, Luthor. You and your Daddy’s money. You think it can buy anything, but there are people bigger than you and things more newsworthy than the freakish sight of you."

Hobbling awkwardly, Roger wisely backed away. Looking at Lex’s intense eyes, Roger willed his legs to go faster. With time, he stumbled across the room. The long while, Lex never said a word or moved in any way. As Roger reached the door, Lex’s silence struck him hard in the spine, sending a chill straight to the base of his skull. Swallowing hard, Roger opened the door and fled from the room as fast as his legs could carry him.

--<{()}>--

Three Hours Later

Metropolis Cemetery

At noon, the sun reflected off Lillian Luthor’s crypt blindingly. Standing before it, Lillian’s son bowed his head. A small bouquet of violets rested in his tense hands. With a single step forward, Lex approached the grave respectfully, placing the bouquet reverently in the waiting vase affixed to Lillian’s final resting place.

The offering delivered, Lex stepped back quickly. Standing still, Lex let his arms hang limply. Closing his eyes, Lex addressed his Mother in a whisper, "Mama, I wish you were here."

Bowing his head once again, Lex mumbled, "There is so much happening, right now. It’s hard to sort it all out. I’ve made threats I’m afraid people are going to expect me to go through with. I’ve made promises I’m afraid he’s going to expect me to keep."

"In the past, I’ve done so many things, but I’ve never felt so tempted as I do right now. Mama, there is something I want to do, but at the same time, there is a man I want to be. I think you’d be proud of that man, but I can’t be that man if I give into this temptation."

"I keep trying to imagine what you’d want me to do. I keep trying to envision what you would do in my place. Sometimes, I can see you smiling at me. In those moments, I can almost believe you’d understand. Maybe, you would even help me do it. At other times, it’s difficult to remember the exact shade of your hair. Sometimes, I can barely see your face. That’s when I’m just as sure that you’d turn away from me, repulsed by what I have become. I wish I knew for sure, but logically, I know I can’t ever know for sure."

Reaching into his left jacket pocket, Lex pulled out a palm-sized, velvet pouch. Turning the pouch over, Lex let the contents spill out into the palm of his right hand. Looking at his palm, Lex watched the sunlight shine off the polished ebony beads and the delicate silver crucifix. Looking up, Lex stared at his Mother’s grave marker. Painfully, his eyes traced the years of her life: 1951 – 1991. Silently, Lex marveled at the empty space beside Lillian’s name that waited patiently for his Father.

Reaching out with his left hand, Lex managed to not drop the velvet pouch while he stroked his Mother’s name. With his fingers dancing along the white marble lettering, Lex whispered, "I wish I had your faith. It brought you such comfort at the end. I wonder what kind of comfort that kind of faith could give me, now. I guess it’s just not me. I’m too much of a scientist. No matter how much I try, I can’t bring myself to believe in signs and portents. All I can do is hold your rosary and pray to you."

Suddenly, Lex felt watched. Tucking the rosary back into the velvet pouch, Lex palmed it into his pocket as the haunting scent of "An Evening In Paris" perfume wafted through the air. Without looking, Lex knew who it was, knew who it had to be. Pamela. It could only be the nanny from his youth, the sweet smelling woman with red hair from a bottle.

--<{()}>--

Meanwhile, At The Kent Residence



Books sprawled out in every direction. Hovering over them, Clark wondered how much tighter he could hold his pencil before it just broke in two. At least, pencil breaking was something he could understand. ‘Tell me, when has geometry ever been important in my life? Oh yeah. Forgot.’ Scratching the top of his head, Clark stared at his geometry book with intense confusion. Which is why he was so happy for the distraction that appeared at his kitchen door.

"Hey, Clark. Is your Mom around? I wanted to order some more of her pies," asked Lana.

"Hi, Lana. She’s at class. I can help you," said Clark as he gratefully closed the hated geometry book.

Casually, Clark stood up and walked across the room. Opening the small roll-top desk in the Kent living room, Clark pulled out Martha’s ledger. As Clark flipped to the right page, Lana commented, "I didn’t expect to see you here. I thought you’d be helping Chloe with the next edition of The Smallville Torch."

Shrugging, Clark looked up from the ledger. "Chloe has plenty of help. Trust me."

Coming to stand beside Clark, Lana inquired, "Are you two fighting?"

Looking back to the ledger, Clark turned a couple more pages before finding the right one. Pulling a pen out of a cup on the desk, Clark marked his place in the ledger and closed the thin volume. Half sitting on the desk, Clark balanced the ledger on his right thigh, as he answered, "Not really. It’s just she doesn’t need me, anymore. Not since Justin is there to be everything for her."

Placing her left hand on Clark’s knee, Lana stepped closer and asked, "Jealous?"

Catching the ledger before it fell, Clark stepped away from the desk. Shaking his head, Clark answered, "Not jealous, just concerned.

Opening the ledger, Clark picked up the pen and pressed the tip against the paper. "So, how many pies do you want?"

Hugging herself, Lana answered quietly, "A dozen."

As Clark wrote down the order, he asked absently, "So, how’s Whitney?"

Still hugging herself, Lana tripped over to the sofa, sinking down on it. "His Father’s doing better, so Whitney’s doing better."

Finishing the order, Clark placed the ledger down and picked up the receipt book. Opening the receipt book, Clark took special care to place the dividing flap between the current receipt and the next one. As he filled out the receipt, Clark asked, "Everything okay?"

Flipping her hair over her shoulder, Lana replied, "Everything should be wonderful. I mean, Whitney is a much better boyfriend, now than he used to be. He’s attentive. He’s romantic. I should be happy, right?"

Ripping the receipt from the book, Clark put the receipt pad back in its slot. Walking over to Lana, Clark sat down next to her on the sofa. "You don’t seem very happy. Have you talked to Whitney about it?"

Shaking her head, Lana answered, "I can’t. After Mr. Fordman got sick, Whitney needed me. It kind of defined our relationship. Now, Mr. Fordman’s better and Whitney doesn’t need me anymore. I wonder what Whitney and I can even have now that the need isn’t there."

Nodding, Clark agreed, "I know exactly what you mean."

Pulling a small wad of cash out of her pocket, Lana handed the money over to Clark. As their fingers touched, Lana whispered, "Maybe Chloe and Justin have the right idea. Maybe, we’re supposed to be with someone who wants us and loves us, not just someone who needs us."

Sliding down the couch, Lana drew closer to Clark. As she opened her mouth to speak, Clark jumped up. Putting distance between himself and Lana, Clark thrust the money in his pocket and said, "Thanks for the sale. Every little bit helps."

Handing Lana her receipt, Clark said, "I hope everything works out for you and Whitney, Lana."

Taking the receipt, Lana stood up slowly. After folding the receipt, Lana slid the paper into her pocket and whispered, "I guess you really do, don’t you, Clark?"

Clark didn’t answer. He just looked away. Her smile trembling, threatening to fall from her face, Lana walked to the front door. Opening the door, Lana took a step past the threshold before turning back. "Do you ever wish you could go back, Clark? Back to a time when your feelings were clear and not so confusing?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Sometimes, but then I’d have to give up everything I’ve gained. Growing up may be confusing, but I’d rather know myself than not know myself."

Nodding in response, Lana left, closing the door softly behind her.

--<{()}>--

April 26, 2002

Smallville High School

Carefully, Clark entered the Torch newsroom. Ever since Justin Gaines arrived, Clark felt unwelcome here. Ever since he walked in on Justin and Chloe kissing, Clark felt unwelcome, period. Chloe made it very clear she was no longer a single person. She was now Chloe and Justin. She was now a strange form of "we" or "them." Clark wasn’t quite sure which word fit, but both made him feel awfully alone.

Earlier, Pete and Chloe refused to listen to Clark’s theories concerning Justin. Of course, Chloe made it very clear she thought he was jealous. Pete seemed to agree. None of them knew. None of them understood, but then how could they? Clark never told them the truth. Everyday, the lies piled up higher and higher. He made up absurd explanations for how doors became unlocked. He explained away how he crossed town in seconds. It had gotten to the point where almost every other sentence contained a lie or a very veiled truth.

Of course, Clark wasn’t even truthful with facts most people would tell their friends. Clark never told them about how he felt. He never told his best friends for whom he really had feelings. ‘Lex.’ At this point, Clark had told Pete and Chloe so many half-truths and outright lies that they didn’t trust him to be completely truthful anymore. Perhaps, they didn’t even trust him anymore. That’s why Clark is sneaking into the Torch office. He’s looking for clues. He’s looking for proof, something solid to show Chloe and Pete.

‘How does she find anything in this mess?’ wondered Clark as he stared at the mountains of paperwork piled on desks, chairs and tables.

Going from table to table, Clark shook his head. Opening the gray file cabinets, Clark sifted through files, finding nothing. At the computer table, Clark found some of Justin’s cartoons and sneered, "Just a mild mannered cartoonist for a small town high school newspaper, huh? My ass!"

Finally, Clark arrived at the fax. On the top of the stack, Clark found a piece of paper crumpled into a small ball. Uncurling the wad, Clark smoothed the wrinkled paper against his chest. Righting the paper, Clark read the typewritten words, realizing fairly soon that it was a DMV printout. Shaking his head, Clark wondered how many laws Chloe broke getting this one. From the date and time on the printout, Clark knew Chloe requested the information just a few hours ago. Clark noticed only one item was found from her search query. It appeared to be a perfect match. Looking closer, Clark noticed the DMV printout belonged to Principal Kwan.

With a shiver running up his spine, Clark felt an alarm go off in his head. Clark remembered that the person who ran over Justin was never caught. The accident caused the loss of manual dexterity in Justin’s hands. Looking back at the heavily wrinkled paper, Clark knew someone else saw this fax. What they saw did not make that person happy. Dropping the paper back down on the desk, Clark rushed from the room.

Clark was so intent on reaching Principal Kwan before Justin did that he didn’t notice that he was being shadowed. He didn’t see Roger Nixon standing there, receding hairline and all. Clark definitely didn’t catch the digital camera Roger clutched tightly. As a result, after Clark opened the school hall doors, he hit super speed and disappeared from view. Clark never realized his trick was recorded while Roger Nixon grinned ear to ear.

--<{()}>--

A Couple Of Minutes Later

The Kwan Residence



"Justin, stop!" yelled Clark as he fell out of super speed.

Looking over his right shoulder, Justin watched Clark jog up the street. Raising his right hand, Justin dispatched a wave of force in Clark’s direction, knocking Clark off his feet. The wind knocked out of him, Clark shook the sparkling lights away from his eyes. Slowly, he rolled onto his stomach and pushed himself up onto his knees. Feeling his equilibrium return, Clark scrambled to his feet as Justin summoned his powers, centering them on Principal Kwan’s brown station wagon.

In shock, Clark watched as the station wagon started to shake. Without hesitation, Clark ran across the well-manicured lawn toward Justin. Taking a running leap, Clark threw himself at Justin, knocking them both to the ground. They rolled several times across the driveway before coming to a stop. Pinning Justin beneath him, Clark tried to break Justin’s concentration. Grabbing Justin’s shoulders, Clark shook the boy hard as he exclaimed, "Justin, you’ve got to stop this."

Snapping his head forward, Justin looked directly at Clark. All at once, Clark understood what Lex meant about flying. One moment, he was holding Justin down. The next, Clark was sailing backwards. Eight feet away, Clark landed next to the car with a thud. Wincing from actual pain, Clark forced himself to stand and face Justin’s vengeance again.

With glazed over eyes, Justin rose effortlessly from the cement driveway. Walking toward the car, Justin addressed Clark, "Stay out of my way, Clark. You don’t know what he did."

Bringing his hands up – palms out – Clark answered, "I do know. I saw the fax. Listen to me, if you do what you’re thinking of doing, you’ll regret it."

"I don’t think so," replied Justin.

Without warning, Justin ripped the metal, driveway lighting from the ground. Hurling them at Clark, Justin stepped forward, but stopped short as he watched the lighting posts shatter against Clark’s head and torso. With ever widening eyes, Justin watched the last lamp explode against Clark’s cheek. Absently, Clark brushed broken glass and shards of twisted metal from his clothes and hair as he said, "Listen to me. If you try to hurt Principal Kwan, I have to try to stop you."

Filled with rage, Justin’s eyes flashed brightly. "Why are you protecting him?"

"I’m not protecting him. I’m protecting you. Listen, we have proof, now. We can go to the police," answered Clark.

Hysterically, Justin began to laugh. Clutching his stomach, Justin argued, "The police? Clark. The police didn’t do anything when this happened to me. If the police had done their jobs before then he’d be arrested already. I mean. We’re kids, Clark and we found the plate number in a couple of hours. It was on a DMV printout, for crying out loud."

Falling silent, Justin let his anger focus his power on the car in front of him. Just as the car started to move, Clark raced to the front of the car and grabbed the bumper. Pushing back against Justin’s mental powers, Clark warned, "Please, Justin. I don’t want to hurt you, but I will.

At that moment the garage door gears roared to life. Within seconds, the door was neatly tucked away. Standing in the garage, Principal Kwan’s first impression was one of auto theft since the boy closest to him seemed to be pushing his car out of the driveway. Stepping forward, Kwan raised his fist and asked, "What are you kids doing here?"

Looking past Clark, Justin centered on Principal Kwan. Stepping around the station wagon, Justin walked toward Kwan. Pointing at Kwan, Justin accused, "You. You did this to me."

Drawn to Justin’s extended hand, Kwan’s eyes glowed with recognition. Slowly, Kwan lowered his arm. His tightly clenched fist loosened until his hand hung limply by his side. Taking a step back, Principal Kwan raised an arm in defense as pieces of jagged metal and broken glass rose off the ground.

Dangerously, the hovering shards started to swirl clockwise around Justin. Like a wild, uninhibited dance, the debris spun around. For ten feet in every direction, the storm raged, whirling even faster now. At the eye of this horrible storm, Justin placed a foot forward. Moving toward Kwan, Justin dragged the tornado of debris along.

Huddled on the floor, Principal Kwan covered his face as pieces of metal started to cut through his clothing, scratching his skin. Jerking back from the pain, Kwan looked down long enough to see blood spreading across the tattered remnants of his shirt. Sneaking a glance at Justin, Kwan felt cold tremors spread through his body as he looked into the boy’s empty eyes.

Quickly, Justin’s image blurred. The shards were flying by so fast now they could barely be seen. So fast, they shielded Justin from view behind a swirling curtain of jagged metal and glass. Letting a smile drift onto his face, Justin left control by the wayside. Justin felt the force sink into the dirt beneath him, drawing up whatever it could to aid in Justin’s quest for destruction. Large stones flew from the earth, joining the mix. Wild with vengeance, Justin took another step closer to Kwan’s cringed form, bringing the brunt of his torment with him.

Suddenly, Clark stood before Justin. Within the eye of the storm, Clark avoided looking at the dizzy spinning surrounding him. Gazing directly into Justin’s eyes, Clark ordered, "Justin, don’t."

Never meeting Clark’s gaze, Justin’s vision remained riveted to where Principal Kwan knelt. "He made me into a freak. He ruined my life."

By the smallest of degrees, the storm’s momentum slowed. Bringing his gaze to bear accusingly on Clark, Justin argued, "Don’t you see? He’s got this house, his successful career and his perfect little life. What did he leave me with?"

Reaching out, Clark grabbed a hold of Justin by the upper arms. Narrowing his eyes, Justin struggled to get away, but was unable to free himself from Clark’s vise-like grip. Frustrated, Justin yelled, "You can’t let him get away with this. He left me there. He didn’t call for help. He left me there to die. I deserve this, Clark. I deserve a little vengeance."

In disbelief, Justin watched Clark shake his head. Angry, Justin saw the color in Clark’s eyes start to shimmer. "I don’t want your pity. I just want you to step aside."

For a second, Clark considered it. For a second, he almost let go, but he knew that wasn’t the answer. With regret, Clark looked down at Justin and said, "I can’t do that."

Again, Justin struggled to break free of Clark’s grip. Again, Justin failed. This time, the storm lessened considerably. The gale force winds died down until they resembled off shore breezes. While the smaller pieces of metal and glass still slowly whirled about them, the stones fell to Earth. Straining his neck to look over Clark’s shoulder, Justin saw Kwan fearfully stand up.

Pushing harder against Clark, Justin threw accusations at Kwan. "This is all your fault. You were the one driving too fast. You were the one who hit me. What did I ever do to you?"

Justin watched as Kwan’s shoulders slumped. As Kwan hung his head down, Justin screamed, "Look at me!"

Jerking his head up, Kwan looked up. He saw Justin standing behind Clark, straining against Clark’s hold. Listening intently, Principal Kwan heard emotion crack Justin’s voice as Justin asked, "How could you leave me to die on the street? How could you just leave me there to suffer alone? Why? Why did you do it?"

By the last question, silent tears ran down Justin’s face. Closing his eyes, Justin shut out the world. All around him, the swirling debris drifted to the ground, landing softly. Feeling suddenly weak, Justin felt his legs give out underneath him. In Clark’s tight grasp, Justin felt himself lower slowly to the ground. Kneeling on the ground, Justin started to shake his head from side to side in wide arcs. Following the smooth rhythm of his shaking head, Justin rolled his head up and opened his red, burning eyes. Looking up at Kwan’s contrite form, Justin softly said, "I’m nothing now. All I had is gone. You took away the one thing that made me special. You took my gift away. Why? What did I ever do to you? Tell me, please. Tell me, what did I do to deserve this?"

Stepping forward cautiously, Principal Kwan approached Justin’s trembling form. Kneeling on the driveway like Clark and Justin already were, Kwan cleared his throat before saying, "I’m so sorry. I didn’t know. I promise you, I’ll make this right."

Staring back at Kwan’s remorseful face, Justin began to chuckle softly. Letting the tremors of laughter travel through his tired body, Justin replied, "You can’t make this right. Look at me. Look at my hands. Look at what you’ve done to me. You can’t put me back the way I was. There is no way to fix me."

Swiveling one knee up, Clark twisted around to look at Principal Kwan. "Principal Kwan, you need to confess. You have to go to the police and turn yourself in."

Nodding, Kwan reached out and placed a hand on Justin’s shoulder. Squeezing it slightly, Kwan swore, "I didn’t do this to you, Justin, but I know who did. I promise you my son will confess."

Meeting Kwan’s steady eyes, Justin replied angrily, "What good are your promises to me?"

Loosening his grip on Justin’s arms, Clark said, "Justin, just give him a chance."

Leaning in, Kwan chimed in, "Give me one day."

Looking back and forth from Clark to Kwan and back again, Justin sighed loudly before nodded half-heartedly. Pulling his hands back, Clark let go of Justin completely. Instantly, Justin jumped to his feet. Looking down at Kwan, Justin reaffirmed, "Okay. You have one day."

Standing up, Clark stepped beside Justin. Placing a soothing hand on Justin’s shoulder, Clark said, "Come on, Justin. Let’s get out of here."

Staring at the ground, Justin let Clark steer him away from Kwan’s suburban home. Only after he and Clark were several blocks removed from Kwan’s manicured lawns did Justin shrug Clark’s hand away. Walking side-by side, Justin and Clark made their way along old Hwy 90 in silence.

Stepping onto the country road leading out to Smallville’s many farms, Justin glanced to the right and said, "Clark?"

Glancing back at Justin, Clark answered, "Yeah?"

Looking at the dusty road stretched out before them, Justin said, "Thanks."

Nodding, Clark looked back at the road. Again, they walked in silence. A couple lanes passed quietly before Justin glanced at Clark again.

"Clark?" asked Justin.

Looking down at his feet, Clark took a deep breath and replied, "Yeah."

"You’re like me, aren’t you? That’s how you stopped the car and the lamps," Justin inquired.

Stuffing his large hands into his jean pockets, Clark shrugged his shoulders as he answered, "I don’t know what I am."

Looking back at the road, Justin nodded. Turning to speak, Justin’s voice was drowned out by the roaring of heavy construction equipment. Together, Justin and Clark watched three backhoe loaders, two dump trucks and a crawler tractor go by. Looking over their shoulders at the same time, they witnessed the balls of dust left in the massive vehicle’s wake.

Once the massive vehicles were gone, Clark looked over at Justin, noting the question in Justin’s eyes. Nodding, Clark motioned for Justin to go ahead.

Digging his feet into the dirt, Justin asked, "Does Chloe know?"

"No. Does she know about your powers? Clark replied.

Nodding, Justin smiled all at once, "Yeah."

Clark’s eyes grew large and his mouth fell open. "You told her?"

Smiling, Justin stood very still for a second. A second later, pebbles, grass and twigs flew up, hovering around Justin and Clark. Shrugging, Justin smirked as he quipped, "It just sort of came up."

Smiling broadly, Clark couldn’t keep a ripple of laughter from escaping. Squinting, Clark looked around, inspecting the swirling bits. "How do you do that?"

Looking around at the swirling debris, Justin closed his eyes for a second. During that second, all the little bits fell to the ground. Opening his eyes, Justin replied, "I just do it. It started right after the accident. At first, I couldn’t control it. It was kind of funny. It drove the nurses crazy, because they couldn’t blame the kid in traction, but they just knew it was me."

"You see, Clark it’s always there. It’s like I’m at the center of a tornado. There’s this force all around me, raging out of control, but when I concentrate, it’s like the clouds parting on a calm day. After a while, I didn’t need to consciously think about it to be able to control it. It’s like the way your brain knows to tell your heart to beat. It just does it. You don’t have to think about it, for it to happen. Unfortunately, if I’m really distracted, like before, then the storm rages out of control again."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark cocked his head to the side and asked, "Earlier, that wasn’t just lack of control."

Returning Clark’s gaze, Justin nodded, "You’re right. I can focus the force, but all the kinks aren’t out of that trick, yet."

Rubbing his cheek, Clark joked, "I don’t know. I think you’re already a pretty good shot."

Justin’s eyes widened fearfully until he saw the twinkle of laughter in Clark’s blue eyes. Exhaling loudly, Justin chuckled softly. Punching Clark in the arm, Justin said, "Man, I’m sorry about that. I wasn’t thinking clearly, y’know?"

Placing a hand on Justin’s shoulder, Clark nodded. "I know."

They started walking again. After a few feet, Justin looked at Clark and asked, "Do your parents know?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yeah. They’re always afraid that I’m going to get caught."

Shrugging, Justin said, "Hey, at least, they know. I still haven’t told mine yet. I’m just afraid they’ll see me as a freak. I mean, what if they’re disappointed in me? My parents have always meant so much to me. I don’t know if I could survive something like that."

Frowning, Clark asked, "Who does know?"

Sighing loudly, Justin replied, "Chloe was the first. And, now you. And, I guess Principal Kwan. From here, who knows? Chloe was so cool about it that I think I might me able to tell my parents someday."

Nodding, Clark warned, "Okay, just be careful. As my Dad says if you tell the wrong person you could end up in a lab."

Tipping back his head, Justin laughed out loud, "Well, I’d like to see somebody try."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark replied darkly, "No, you wouldn’t."

Quickly, Justin looked at Clark’s tense face. "Did somebody find out about you that shouldn’t have?"

Nodding, Clark continued to walk. Glancing at Justin, Clark answered quickly, "It was a cop."

Throwing his hands in the air, Justin cursed under his breath. Shaking his head, Justin asked, "What happened?"

The emotion faded from Clark’s face. Looking down at the ground, Clark replied, "I’d rather not talk about it. Let’s just say that he’ll never be able to do anything to me or anyone else, ever again."

Raising his eyebrows, Justin glanced at Clark. Pursing his lips into a tight "o," Justin whistled. "Ooh. That was darker than it needed to be. Gee, Clark I thought you were one of the good guys."

Smiling, Clark answered, "I am, but I’m not a saint."

Justin laughed first. Followed shortly thereafter by Clark. After several minutes, Justin panted loudly as he asked, "Are you going to tell Chloe?"

Cocking his head to the side, Clark said, "I’d rather have as few people knowing as possible."

Shaking his head, Justin clarified, "No. Clark, that’s not what I meant."

Stopping in his tracks, Clark waited for Justin to stop, too. Once Justin turned to face him, Clark said, "I know. Look, let’s make a deal. You keep my secret and I keep yours. Deal?"

Stepping forward, Clark extended his hand. Immediately, Justin took Clark’s hand.

"Deal."

--<{()}>--

April 27, 2002

Kent Farm

With a loud gasp, Martha jerked away from the shadowy figure standing in her doorway. With a hand pressed against her chest, Martha exclaimed, "Lex! Make some noise, next time."

"Sorry, Mrs. Kent. I’ll definitely remember to make noise, next time," answered Lex as he opened the kitchen screen door.

With a smile, Martha pushed away from the sink full of breakfast dishes. As she wiped her hands on a towel, Martha said, "Well, make sure you do, because next time I’ll put a cow bell on you."

In response, Lex looked genuinely concerned. ‘I bet you would,’ thought Lex. Clearing his throat, Lex replied, "Yes, Ma’am."

Once inside the kitchen, Lex reached into his jacket. Stepping closer to Martha, Lex pulled out a legal-sized envelope, presenting it to Martha wordlessly. Martha put down the towel and accepted the envelope, turning it over again and again. Looking up from the envelope, Martha asked, "What’s this?"

Clasping his hands behind his back, Lex replied, "It’s the insurance settlement check. I wanted to bring it over personally."

Nodding, Martha walked into the living room, waving at Lex to follow her. As Lex stood in the middle of the living room, Martha walked over to a small, oak roll top desk. As Lex watched Martha open the top drawer, Lex stated, "I believe you’ll find the check is for the exact amount you and Mr. Kent submitted to the insurance company."

Placing the letter into the drawer, Martha said, "Thank you, Lex but I don’t need to inspect the check. I’ll just leave it here, so I can show it to Jonathon when he gets home."

As he watched her close the drawer softly, Lex offered, "Mrs. Kent, I need you to believe that I had nothing to do with what happened to your herd or your land."

"I know that, Lex," replied Martha. Motioning with her right hand, Martha directed Lex to sit down on the sofa as she sank down in a worn, but comfortable chair. Once Lex sat down, Martha continued. "Clark told me about Club Zero."

Licking his lips, Lex responded, "Did he."

Martha frowned, deep in thought. Looking into Lex’s eyes, Martha said, "I’ll be honest with you, Lex I’m worried for Clark. So much has happened this past year. Clark started high school. Things between him and his Father have been strained, at times. On top of that, this town just gets stranger all the time. Yesterday, Principal Kwan’s son, Danny, turned himself into the police for running over Justin Gaines last year. It’s a lot for me to take. I can only imagine what it’s doing to Clark."

"With everything else that’s going on, I don’t want to have to worry about his safety when he’s with you. To put it bluntly, I don’t want your past to hurt him."

Returning Martha’s intense gaze, Lex answered, "I don’t want my past to hurt him, either. Believe me, Mrs. Kent I work very hard at protecting Clark."

Leaning forward towards Lex, Martha smiled and said, "Then, we have at least that in common."

Nodding, Lex smiled back at Martha. They held each other’s gaze for a second until Lex broke away, looking around the room. "Speaking of Clark, is he here?"

Cocking her head toward the barn, Martha replied, "Out in his fortress of solitude. I’m sure he’d be happy to see you."

With a slight nod, Lex stood up. He headed for the front door, turning back toward Martha as he took a hold of the doorknob. "Thank you, Mrs. Kent."

Standing up, Martha fumbled her fingers over the woven surface of the chair she just vacated. "Well, Lex. Thank you… For bringing over the check."

Nodding once, Lex took his leave of the Kent residence. Crossing a fifty-foot makeshift driveway, Lex pulled the Barn door open and climbed the stairs inside as he had so many times before. Once he reached the top of the stairs, Lex could see Clark sitting on his second hand couch, reading a book with great interest. Making his presence known, Lex said, "Hey, Clark."

Snapping his head to the left, Clark stared at Lex wide-eyed. Answering the unspoken question, Lex explained, "I came by to give your parents the insurance settlement check."

Sitting down next to Clark, Lex cocked his head and peered at the book in Clark’s hand. "What are you reading?"

Closing the book, Clark flashed the cover at Lex. Raising an eyebrow, Lex asked, "You’re reading ‘Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.’ Why the sudden interest in the opposite sex?"

"It seems like all the women in my life have gone insane," answered Clark. "Take Chloe for example, ever since she and Justin started dating she’s totally blown me off. We were supposed to go to Metropolis next week to attend a journalism conference. True, I totally forgot to sign us up. My bad. I admit it, but now, she’s going with Justin. I used to help her with the Torch. Not anymore. Not since she has Justin to help her. Get this - She’s not even Chloe, anymore. No. Now, she’s ‘Justin and I.’ As in, Justin and I went out last night, or Guess what Justin and I saw, this morning."

Bowing down his head a bit, Lex glanced up at Clark’s tense face. "Clark, are you jealous?"

Sitting forward, Clark threw the book down on his wooden crate coffee table. "Why does everyone keep asking me that? First, Lana. Then, Chloe and Pete. Now, you. When does it end? I ask you can’t I just be concerned over losing a good friend? Is that completely outside the realm of possibility?"

Watching Clark carefully, Lex answered, "Of course not. Clark, the reason people think you’re jealous is because of the sudden interest. You didn’t tend to notice her so much before. Sure, she’s your friend, but people don’t tend to get so excited about just a friend. That’s Human nature. It’s sad, but true."

Nodding as Lex spoke, Clark relaxed as he listened to Lex’s explanation. As Lex finished, Clark smirked. Glancing over at Lex, Clark asked, "You seemed awfully interested when you saw the book, Lex and you’re Human. Does that mean you’re jealous?"

Sitting back, Lex allowed a lengthy pause to stretch out as he leered at Clark. Finally, Lex answered, "I think that question safely falls into the category of subjects you’re not allowed to ask me about, yet."

Rolling his eyes, Clark said, "Oh sure, that old excuse."

Chuckling softly, Lex sat forward and said, "Yeah. Well. Seriously, Clark back to the previous exchange. Don’t worry so much about Chloe. What she’s doing is perfectly normal. You’re still her friend. She’s still your friend. It’s just she’s a little blind with happiness over having a boyfriend. Once the bloom fades, she’ll remember she has friends."

"As for all the women in your life seeming insane, well Clark, there comes a point in every man’s life when he realizes he’ll simply never understand the opposite sex. They’re a mystery. Perhaps, it was meant to be that way. Understand?"

Interlacing his fingers, Clark looked down at his hands and answered, "I guess."

Slapping Clark on the back, Lex flinched as he rose to his feet. "You’ve got quite a set of back muscles there, Clark. I know guys that work out incessantly and don’t have muscles that tone."

"Well, I do a lot of chores," answered Clark as he cocked his head to the side, looking at the ground.

Once again, Lex got the itching suspicion that Clark was being less than truthful. Narrowing his eyes, Lex asked, "Are you saying that instead of Tae Bo, people should be doing the farm boy workout?"

In response, Clark shrugged.

Stepping back, Lex ran his eyes over Clark one last time. Lex mused, ‘There’s no doubt about it. You’re hiding something.’ Snapping back to reality, Lex said, "Well, I just came up to say ‘hi.’ I need to get back to the office."

Looking up at Lex, Clark replied, "See ya later, Lex and thanks for everything you said."

Smiling honestly, Lex answered back, "As always, for you, it’s no problem. Bye, Clark."

With a small, but noticeable bounce in his step, Lex left the Kent’s barn. Opening his car door, Lex pulled out his cell phone to check his messages. The fourth message caught his eye. Selecting the message, Lex held the phone to his ear as he stepped into his car. The familiar gruff voice belonging to Simon filled Lex’s ear. "Mr. Luthor, please call me back at your earliest convenience."

Sitting behind the wheel, Lex sighed heavily. Carefully, Lex placed the phone on the seat beside him. A second passed with Lex sitting very still with his hands on his thighs. With a decisive nod of the head, Lex stuck his key in the lock and started the fine piece of Italian engineering. Putting the car in gear, Lex popped the clutch as he pressed the gas. Backing out of the Kent’s driveway, Lex waited until he was clear down to the road before picking up the phone and punching in Simon’s phone number.

Once the phone picked up, Lex didn’t even bother to wait for a greeting. "Simon, what’s going on with Nixon?"

"Mr. Luthor, I’m glad you called," Simon replied, quickly. "After Nixon left your office, he came to Smallville. For the better part of the day, he trailed one Clark Kent. Yesterday, he went to the Kent residence. He waited until everyone left then he broke into the house. After seventeen minutes he left the main house and headed to the barn. Spent eleven minutes in the barn. After that, he exited the barn and opened up the storm cellar. He spent thirteen minutes in the storm cellar. He must have found something because he was grinning ear to ear and holding tight to a digital camera when he came out. After that, he left the farm."

Turning sharply, Lex took the road that encircled Smallville. In his mind’s eye, Lex saw Martha Kent. He saw Clark. His imagination running wild, Lex considered what might have happened if one of the Kents had come home before Nixon left. Pushing the accelerator down, Lex let the hum of the engine take over.

"Mr. Luthor?" inquired Simon.

"Where is Nixon, now?" demanded Lex.

"He’s local. He rented a room at the Farrington Inn, here in town. Do you know where it is?"

"Yeah, I know, but listen to me. I want you to pick him up. Do it quietly. I don’t want any bad press out of this." Holding the steering wheel tightly, Lex flexed the fingers of his left hand over the slick leather. Staring intently at the road stretched out before him, Lex commanded, "Once you’ve picked him up, take him to the quarry on the far side of town. I’ll meet you there. Start on him as soon as you get there whether I’m present or not. Also Simon, send one of your boys to find the hard evidence. I don’t want any loose ends."

"As you wish, Mr. Luthor," answered Simon before the line went dead.

--<{()}>--

Forty-Five Minutes Later

Old Smallville Quarry

Strapped to a chair, Roger Nixon was barely recognizable. Bruised where they hit him and bleeding from where they cut him, Roger sat defenseless. In his hazy mind, Roger heard another car pull up. Inwardly, he retreated from this new threat, seeking refuge in unconsciousness.

Rudely snatched from his safe haven, Roger pulled away from the smelling salts under his nose. Again, the sulfur charged fumes waved past his nose, forcing Nixon to open his eyes. Looking up, Roger wasn’t surprised in the least to see Lex Luthor staring down at him.

"I told you to leave the Kents alone, Roger," Lex stated in a steady voice. "You should have listened to me."

Laughing, from the pain, from the blood loss, from the absurdity of the moment, Roger wasn’t sure, but laughing he was. "You can’t stop me. This story is bigger than you. It’s not going away."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Lex answered, "You’re wrong, Roger. Nothing is bigger than I am."

Shaking his head clumsily, Roger replied, "No, this is. This is. That Kent kid. He’s a freak and I can prove it. All the tabloid rags in the world will be vindicated. This story will make me legendary."

Pushing back the curiosity nagging at his brain, Lex retorted, "Not if it’s never published."

Leaning forward, Roger strained against his bonds. "You can’t stop me, Luthor. You don’t have enough money to buy all the newspapers in the country."

Smirking coldly, Lex replied, "I don’t need to do that, Roger. I just need to keep you here."

Suddenly quiet, Roger paled. "People will miss me."

Now, it was Lex’s turn to laugh. "No, they won’t."

Walking around Roger’s bound form, Lex continued, "You’re a sleazy tabloid reporter, Roger. For that alone, most people would be glad to see you gone. The one bit of family you have has got to be tired of you hitting him up for files and corruptible contacts within the Social Services department. He might be concerned for a while, but in the end, I think he’ll be relieved. Face it, Roger. You’ve burned a lot of bridges."

As Lex watched Roger pale to a frosted shade of light peach, another car pulled up. A couple seconds later, a young man walked up to the small congregation. Approaching Lex, the man presented his bundle. "Mr. Luthor, I found these inside the door of his car."

From the spread cloth, Lex picked up a small, silver digital camera. Turning it on, Lex looked at the LCD screen. A dark, blurry image of Roger’s hand filled the screen. It took a second for Lex to realize Roger’s hand was reaching for a large green tarp. As Roger started to pull back the tarp, Lex shut off the digital camera. Inspecting the rest of the evidence, Lex found several computer disks and a couple digital memory sticks. In the center of it all, Lex found a CD he recognized as a match for the one Nixon created, detailing the way the Porsche hit Clark and ran off the bridge.

Placing the digital camera back in the bundle, Lex motioned with a raised hand for the unnamed thug to hold it for a while. Stepping aside, Lex picked up a few blood stained rags that were once Roger’s clothes. Placing them in a metal trashcan, Lex extended his hand toward Simon and asked, "Do you have any lighter fluid?"

Nodding, Simon walked over to a table erected next to Roger’s trembling body. On the table were a plethora of potentially lethal and pain-inducing items among which was lighter fluid. Grabbing the lighter fluid, Simon didn’t delay in returning to Lex with it. Lex took the metal squeeze can from Simon and proceeded to douse the rags with the noxious fluid.

Once done, Lex handed the can back to Simon. Without having to be asked, Simon handed Lex a box of wooden matchsticks. Sliding the box open, Lex gingerly pulled out a matchstick. Igniting the red tip by striking it against the box, Lex didn’t hesitate before tossing it into the trashcan.

After the initial burst of flame, Lex turned around. "Bring the evidence over here."

The young thug obeyed instantly. Before the boy could throw the bundle into the flames himself, Lex grabbed hold of the cloth. For a moment, Lex paused until with a smile, he pitched the bundle into the fire.

Glancing over his shoulder, Lex looked at Roger’s defeated face. "Why Roger, you look like someone just stole your puppy."

Lowering his head, Roger didn’t stop until his chin pressed against his chest. Wallowing in self-pity, Roger came to attention when he heard Lex say, "Make sure he never witnesses anything ever again."

Thrusting his large hands into his baggy jacket, Simon asked, "Do you want that I should kill him?"

Stopped in his tracks, Lex felt the temptation tug at him again. Remembering the promise he made to Nixon, Lex struggled with what he wanted and what he felt he needed to do. Finally, Lex looked at Simon and answered, "No, just take his eyes."

Stepping forward, Simon reached for a large hunting knife resting on the adjacent table. Open-mouthed, Roger watched as Simon tested the blade on his thumb. As Simon sucked on the small cut he made in his flesh, Roger yelled, "Don’t be stupid, Luthor. This isn’t easily covered up. You’re not thinking clearly. You don’t want to do this."

Advancing fast, Lex grabbed Roger by the throat. Leaning down, Lex whispered, "You’re right, Roger. I didn’t want to do this, but you made it a necessity by not doing what I told you to do."

Slapping Roger’s head back, Lex stepped aside. In his place, Simon emerged from the background. Placing his left hand in Roger’s forehead, Simon pushed Roger’s head to the left while he drew the blade in his right hand high into the air.

In desperation, Roger babbled, "Please, Mr. Luthor. You have the proof. You have everything. I have nothing. Let me go. You’ll never see me again. Don’t take my eyes. Please, don’t take my eyes."

Walking over to the table, Lex picked up a pistol. Rubbing his hand over the barrel of the gun, Lex spat out, "You’re pathetic. I should just eliminate you now."

Blubbering at this point, Roger Nixon begged for his life. "No. Please. I don’t want to die."

Pointing the gun at Roger’s chest, Lex raged, "You defy me. You threaten those I protect."

With a fast hand, Lex cocked the handgun. In front of him, Roger continued to beg. "Oh God. Please, don’t. I’ll do anything. Please. I don’t want to die. I don’t want to."

Rigidly, Lex stood. Holding the gun tightly, Lex’s index finger trembled against the trigger. Breathing heavily, Lex could hear voices all around him.

His Father’s voice commanded him to go through with his promise. "Show no weakness, son."

His Mother’s voice spoke softly, gently like the day she died. "This isn’t what I wanted for you, Alex."

Clark’s voice spoke clearly, cutting through the fog in his mind as it had the last time. "If anyone can choose who they want to be, Lex, it’s you."

Turning back to the table, Lex placed the gun on the cool, metal tabletop. Placing his hands on the hard surface, Lex leaned over the table and closed his eyes. To his right, Lex could sense Simon staring at him, waiting for the word. To his left, Lex could hear Roger crying. "Thank you. God. Thank you."

‘Pathetic little man,’ thought Lex. ‘He won’t stop. If I let him go, he’ll be back. Next time, he might hurt the Kents. He might hurt Clark. He knows things. He knows about Clark’s adoption. He could blackmail them and Jonathon Kent would never come to me for help. He’d watch his son be dragged away before accepting even the most benign help from me. No, this is the only way.’

Swiftly, Lex picked up the gun with his left hand. Taking only a moment to aim, Lex shot Roger Nixon in the left temple. Only a foot from the point of contact, blood, bone and brains splattered on Lex’s hand and forearm. Recoiling with the backfire, Lex stepped away from Roger’s dead body. Instantly, a handkerchief-covered hand covered the smoking gun, wresting it free from Lex’s hand. Numb, Lex could only watch as Simon wiped down the gun.

Coming to life, Lex pulled his suit jacket off, using it to rub sweat and blood droplets off his face. Taking a few steps backwards, Lex gracefully turned on his right foot, stopping in front of the still raging fire. Dropping the jacket in the trashcan, Lex started to unbutton his shirt. Smoothly, Lex unfastened his cufflinks, slipping them in the pocket of his slacks. Sliding the shirt off, Lex paused long enough to loosely fold it before tossing it into the roaring flames.

Not looking back, Lex raised a hand and waved it weakly. "Make sure to clean up everything before you leave."

As he departed the violent scene he designed, Lex could hear Simon’s gravelly voice say, "As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

--<{()}>--

Four Hours Later

Metropolis General Hospital

Now he was here, he didn’t know what to do. Entering the small room filled with furniture of institutional design, Lex tried not to make a sound. Pulling his black trench coat tightly over his naked chest, Lex stared at the woman he came to visit. In the dimly lit room, Pamela stretched out over the thin mattress and foam rubber pillows as lights flashed and a pinging alarm sounded nearby.

Suddenly, Lex felt foolish. Pivoting on his right foot, Lex turned to leave as a weak voice filled the air.

"You’re the last person I expected to see," said Pamela in a strained voice.

Glancing over his shoulder, Lex agreed, "This is the last place I expected to be. When I got in my car earlier, I didn’t mean to come here. At some point the car stopped and I realized I was in the hospital parking lot."

Struggling to keep her chin up, Pamela whispered, "All the same, I’m glad you’re here now, Alexander."

Turning back, Lex stepped forward to stand by Pamela’s bedside. "I’ve missed you."

Pamela nodded. Quietly, she said, "Oh, Alexander. Please, believe me. I never wanted to leave you. Everyday, I’ve missed you."

Reaching out, Lex took a hold of Pamela’s small hand. Frowning at Lex’s trembling fingers, Pamela asked, "What is it, Alexander?"

"I miss her so much," replied Lex, his voice thick with emotion.

A single tear ran down Pamela’s cheek as she answered, "So do I."

Looking up, Lex fought back the tears that threatened to spill forth. "It’s been so long, Pam. I wonder if there’s anything left of her in me."

Offering a fragile smile, Pamela sighed, "Of course, there is. She was your Mother. You’ll always carry a piece of her with you."

His eyes shimmering, Lex looked down at Pam and confessed, "I’ve done things. Horrible things."

Biting her lower lip, Pamela replied, "Alex, I don’t know what you’ve done, but the fact that you’re here, tells me that there’s more of your Mother in you than even you realize."

Squeezing Pamela’s hand tighter, Lex whispered, "I’m afraid I’m becoming him. Act by act, little bit by little bit, I’m becoming a little more like him everyday."

"No," insisted Pamela, "You may be your Father’s son, but you’re your Mother’s son, too. Don’t you ever forget that."

Blinking hard, Lex pushed back the tears in time to smile at Pamela. "If there’s hope for me to become a better man than the one I am right now, then it’s because of her and you."

At Lex’s words, Pamela smiled. For a second, she glowed. Then, fatigue returned, capturing her in its grasp. Closing her eyes, Pamela’s lifeless hand fell from Lex’s grasp. All at once, sirens rang as the constant ping stretched out into a high-pitched squeal. Avoiding the nurses who rushed into the room, Lex exited, first the room, then the hospital itself. In a fog, Lex somehow made his way back to his car. Sitting behind the wheel, Lex started up the engine and drove away.

Determined to start fresh, Lex headed back to Smallville.

--<{()}>--

April 28, 2002

Smallville Cemetery

Grave markers held fast against the torrential rains. Amidst the granite and concrete slabs, in the center of the rows of bronze nameplates, Smallville’s youth gathered around the muddy hole marking the final resting place of the elder Mr. Fordman.

The Smallville High football team was there – Their letterman jackets set aside in lieu of dark suits. The Smallville student body reps were there. More importantly, Whitney Fordman was there, accompanied by his Mother, Lana and all their friends.

As he watched his Father’s casket be lowered into the ground, Whitney bowed his head. He failed to keep all the tears at bay. As he felt a tear run down his cheek, Whitney also felt Lana’s gentle hand brush it away with a handkerchief. At her touch, Whitney frowned less. Holding Lana tightly, like a lifeline, Whitney leaned against her strong frame, needing her strength.

In his arms, Lana could feel Whitney’s need. In response, Lana held Whitney tighter, unwilling to let Whitney down even though she never took her eyes off of Clark. As Lana embraced Whitney, she watched Clark’s lonely figure. As she rested her head on Whitney’s shoulder, Lana looked at Clark’s distant expression.

Standing without an umbrella, Clark’s wet hair curled at the ends. His face was miserable as rivulets of rain ran down his cheeks. Looking to his left, Clark saw Chloe and Justin huddled under a shared umbrella. Straight ahead, Clark saw Whitney lean on Lana. Glancing at Whitney’s newly widowed Mother, Clark ached for her open grief. Staring at the dark, open grave, Clark remembered Cassandra’s prediction. He saw the headstones surrounding him. He saw the names of all his friends upon them. He saw Lex’s name.

Casting his eyes over the gray skies above, Clark turned and walked away. With slumped shoulders, Clark wondered, ‘How many funerals are in my future?’



Author's Note: As you all know by now, in my world, Roger Nixon is dead. Of course, as always, my "If I mention it, it changed. If I don't mention it then it didn't change" rule is still in effect. Therefore, all the scenes involving Roger Nixon in any way, in the next two episodes never happened. Erase them from your mind, completely. As for the next two episodes, know this - My Tempest will not end in a cliffhanger. That said, some parts of the next two episodes had to be shifted around to make room for the ending to Tempest. I know that sounds vague and confusing, but just read the next two chapters. I promise you - It will all make sense in the end.

CHAPTER FIVE: Obscura Revised

I will defend, I will fight,
I'll be there when you need me,
- "All For One" performed by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting

May 2, 2002
Fordman Residence - Smallville, Kansas

Rummaging through the old cardboard box, he gasped at the sight of them. Shiny, as if just polished, the medals shown brightly in contrast to the black velvet backing from which they hung. Encased in a solid pine keepsake box with an 8" x 11" glass pane, this solid proof of his Father's bravery and strength seemed to be meant for Whitney to find.

Carefully lifting the case from the box, it all seemed so clear. His Father meant for Whitney to find these medals. It was his Father's way of reaching beyond the grave. That was why the letter his Father left behind asked Whitney to help his Mother clear out the attic. It wasn't entirely because he wanted his wife to have an easier time through this crisis. No. Whitney was sure of it. His Father was trying to tell him something. These medals were one last lecture, one last pearl of wisdom to pass down to his son once he was no longer here. It was his Father's way of telling young Whitney that in order to find his way in life, Whitney may have to leave the only life he'd ever known. Whitney would need to leave Smallville.

Now, the only problem was how to tell Lana.

--<{()}>--

May 3, 2002
Smallville, Kansas

As always, humidity blanketed everything in early May. It made being inside suffocating while at the same time making the outside unbearable. Still, under the shade of a tree, dressed in comfortable cotton and sipping a chilled glass of lemonade, one could find respite. So, it was simplicity itself for Whitney to convince Lana to go out on a picnic with horseback riding to follow.

Spread out on an old, throwaway blanket, the picnic was mostly finished. The thermos of lemonade was a glassful away from empty. The serving bowls were mostly empty. In the place of active eating, an uncomfortable silence quickly emerged.

Taking initiative at the same time, Whitney and Lana turned to speak to each other at the same time.

"Lana?"

"Whitney?"

Looking at each other, they both started again a second later.

"Whitney, we need to talk."

"I have something I need to tell you."

Laughing lightly, they debated for each other to go first, but Lana was more insistent and Whitney more willing to speak first. "Lana, I need to tell you that I'm going away."

Furrowing her brow, Lana asked, "What?"

"I enlisted in the Marines, Lana," said Whitney. Quickly, Whitney noted the surprise in Lana's eyes and response about to leave to widening mouth. "Before you get upset, I need to tell you what happened, last night. You see, I was going through some of my Father's things and I came across his medals from the war. It was like he left them there for me to find. It was like his way of telling me what he thought I should do with my life."

Sensing Lana's doubt, Whitney continued, "Lana, I don't want to waste away here and college isn't a possibility, right now. Maybe, if I go now and see the world, then I'll be content to return later and run my Father's shop."

Reaching out, Whitney took Lana's hands in his, "I know things have been strained between us lately, but it would mean a lot to me if I knew you were waiting here for me. I need to know that there's something in Smallville worth returning for."

Looking down, Lana asked in a quiet voice, "When are you leaving?"

"On May 10th. This morning, I called up and set up an appointment at the Metropolis recruiting station. My Mom has estate obligations that day, so I was hoping you could drive me to the bus depot."

Nodding, Lana replied, "Of course."

Angling his head about in a vain attempt to get Lana to look at him, Whitney asked, "Will you wait for me, Lana? I really need to know before I leave."

Looking down at the blanket, studying its faded pattern, Lana answered, "You've always been there when I needed you, Whitney. When it really mattered, you were always there. Because of all we've been through, I want to tell you what you need to hear now, but I don't know what will happen tomorrow, next month or next year. So, let's take it one day at a time. Okay, Whitney?"

Sucking in his bottom lip, Whitney nodded. Standing up, Whitney offered his hand to Lana and she accepted it. Pulling Lana up, Whitney held her in his arms tightly. Leaning down, he kissed her, softly. Pulling away, Whitney took Lana by the hand and led her over to where the horses stood, waiting patiently. Mounting the steeds, Whitney and Lana rode away, swearing to clean up their mess once they got back..

--<{()}>--

Later That Night
Smallville Community Hospital

"Chloe!"

Screaming, Lana sat straight up in bed. Instantly, strong hands were on her face. Looking around wildly, Lana's eyes finally focused on Clark's concerned face. Reaching out, Lana grabbed Clark, pulling him into a crushing embrace. Crying loudly, Lana dug her fingers into the flannel of Clark's shirt, refusing to let go even when Clark's calming voice said she was safe.

Holding onto Lana tightly, Clark smoothed a hand over her hair, combing it with his fingers. Cooing quietly, Clark whispered, "Lana, it's okay. It's all right. You're safe. I'm here. Nothing's going to happen."

"Clark?" asked Lana. "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't want you to be alone, tonight," replied Clark.

Her mind still fuzzy, Lana slowly let go of Clark's shirt. Leaning back, Lana let herself fall back against the arms encircling her. Looking at Clark's face, Lana smiled. "Oh Clark. My hero."

Smiling, Clark asked, "What happened? You were shaking one minute and the next you were screaming Chloe's name."

Instantly, the smile drained from Lana's face. "I had this intense dream about Chloe. It was totally surreal. I dreamt that she was attacked outside of the hospital. I know, it sounds crazy."

Holding Lana's trembling body tighter, Clark said, "That doesn't matter. What matters is it's got you freaked."

Placing her head on Clark's shoulder, Lana whispered, "It felt like I was right there. She was walking to her car and she was getting her keys out of that red bag with the butterflies on it."

Rubbing her cheek against Clark's strong muscles, Lana felt Clark tense. Pulling away, Lana asked, "What is it?"

A little scared, Clark replied, "She. She was carrying that bag when she left the hospital. Do you want me to call her on her cell phone and make sure everything's all right?"

Shaking her head, Lana answered, "No. I don't want to ruin her weekend. It's probably the concussion anyway."

Pushing Lana back down onto her pillows, Clark leaned over Lana and said, "You're absolutely right. It was probably just a bad dream. Nothing to worry about."

As Clark pulled away, Lana grabbed his arm. "Don't leave."

Nodding, Clark pried her hand off his arm and placed in on the bed. Stepping back, Clark slowly retreated until he felt the visitor chair hit the back of his calves. Sinking down onto it, Clark said, "I'll stay as long as you need me to."

Shutting her eyes, Lana was already mostly asleep when she sighed, "Will you stay forever then?"

"What?" asked Clark, but it was too late.

Lana was already asleep.

--<{()}>--

May 4, 2002
Kent Farm

As he entered the room, Clark heard the phone be placed down on the table. "Who was that?"

Walking away from the phone, Martha sat at the kitchen table. Patting her hand on the table, Martha motioned for Clark to sit down as she answered, "That was your school. They're looking for chaperones for the Spring Formal."

"What did you tell them?" asked Clark, innocently.

Staring at Clark, Martha asked, "I told them you hadn't mentioned it. What's going on, Clark? Are you planning on not going?"

Nodding, Clark replied, "I don't think the whole tux and limo thing is for me. Besides, it's customary to have a date to a dance and all the girls I know already have boyfriends."

Resting her cheek on her knuckles, Martha said, "There have got to be a few girls at your school who don't have dates yet, Clark."

Walking into the kitchen, Jonathon patted a hand on his wife's shoulder on his way to the refrigerator. "Martha, stay out of it. If Clark wants to ask someone then he will."

"Thanks, Dad," said Clark.

Pursing her lips, Martha waited until the pie she baked yesterday distracted Jonathon, and then asked, "So, are you planning on asking someone, Clark?"

Carrying a slice of pie back to the living room, Jonathon looked at Clark and said, "She just can't help herself."

A sound at the kitchen door, distracted the Kents. Looking at the door, the Kents were silent at the sight of Lex Luthor. Glancing at each of the Kents, Lex stood behind the screen door and said, "Sorry to barge in, but I did remember to make noise this time."

Shaking her head, Martha stood up and opened the screen door, letting Lex into the kitchen. As Lex passed by Martha, he smiled at her and said, "Good morning, Mrs. Kent."

Smiling back at Lex, Martha closed the door behind him. "Good morning to you, Lex. Have you had any breakfast yet?"

Looking back at Martha, Lex thought, "You'd really feed me, wouldn't you?" Shaking his head, Lex replied, "Actually, no, but I'm not hungry. I just came by to see Clark."

"Of course," said Jonathon, sarcasm dripping from his tone.

At the same time, Clark and Martha shot matching glares at Jonathon. In response, Jonathon put up the hand not holding a piece of pie. Turning around, Jonathon retreated into the living room to watch the ball game.

Back in the kitchen, Martha turned to Lex and said, "Well, I guess that's my cue to give you boys some privacy."

Wrapping an arm around Clark, Martha looked at Lex and said, "Maybe, you can convince him to go to the Spring Formal."

Blushing bright red, Clark growled, "Mom."

Glancing at Martha and Clark, Lex asked, "What Spring Formal?"

At that moment, the phone rang, loudly. Pulling away from his Mother, Clark rushed across the room. 'Saved by the bell.'

"I'll get it," shouted Clark. Lifting the receiver to his ear, Clark said, "Kent residence."

"Clark, is Chloe with you?" asked Justin, his voice vibrating hurriedly over the phone line.

"No. Last I saw of her, Chloe was headed for Metropolis," answered Clark.

"When was that?" Justin inquired.

"About eight o'clock, last night. She came by the hospital to check on Lana and then left." Listening closely on the other end, Clark could hear the sound of a highway in the background. Clearing his throat loudly, Clark asked, "Justin, where are you calling from?"

There was a long pause before Justin answered, "I'm in a motel in Metropolis. Chloe and I set it up."

"What for? She said she was staying with her cousin, didn't she?" asked Clark.

With a slightly annoyed tone, Justin replied, "Quite frankly, It's none of your damn business what for, Clark."

A series of crashes screamed across the phone line before Justin continued with a heavy sigh, "Look, I reserved the room last week and checked in early yesterday. Just like we planned. She was supposed to show up last night. It was all arranged, but she never showed. I have no idea where she is. I tried her cell phone, but all I got was her voicemail. I called highway patrol. There were no accidents. I called the Daily Planet. They won't give me any information and now, you say she left for Metropolis, last night."

"Justin, relax. You know how you are when you get too excited," reminded Clark as he glanced at Lex and Martha's curious faces.

"I know. I know. I've already ripped all of the light fixtures off the wall. That's one security deposit down the drain," replied Justin.

Thinking quick, Clark glanced at Lex . "Justin, give me the number you're calling from. I think I know somebody who can get the Daily Planet to open up. Once I know if Chloe arrived for her interview, I'll call you back."

"Okay. Umm. The number here is area code 913. 555. 1745. Got that?"

"Yep. 9135551745. Right?" replied Clark.

"Perfect," said Justin.

"Okay, I'll call back as soon as I know something," assured Clark.

"Okay. Thanks, Clark. Bye."

Wasting no time, Clark turned to Lex and asked, "Lex?"

"Clark. Say no more. It would be my pleasure," answered Lex.

As Lex pulled out his cell phone, he turned away walking over to the sink. Quickly, Martha crossed the room to Clark. Seeing the worry on her son's face, Martha asked, "What's wrong? Clark, what happened?"

"Chloe's missing," replied Clark.

Shock could be heard in Martha's voice as she asked, "Excuse me?"

"She's missing. She went to Metropolis last night for an interview she had with the Daily Planet, this morning. Justin tried to call the Daily Planet and find out if Chloe went to her interview, but they won't tell him anything," Clark explained.

"So, you're thinking that since the Daily Planet is owned by LuthorCorp, maybe Lex can succeed where Justin failed?" said Martha as she summarized the situation.

An edge of pleading filled Clark's voice as he replied, "Yeah."

Wanting to comfort her son, Martha wrapped her arms around Clark. Together, Martha and Clark watched Lex's back as he talked on the cell phone.

After a couple minutes, Lex slapped his cell phone shut. Slowly, Lex turned back to Clark and Martha. "Clark, Chloe never showed up for her interview. She never called the Planet to reschedule either."

Numb, Clark reached for the phone and said as much to himself as to the other people in the room, "I have to call Justin and let him know."

Punching the keypad, Clark called Justin. While he waited for Justin to pick up the phone, Clark remembered the conversation he had with Lana. When Justin picked up, Clark told Justin the news. In the background, Clark heard a loud crash.

"Justin, what was that? Are you okay?""

Sighing loudly, Justin replied, "I'm fine which is more than I can say for the TV."

"Try to keep it together, Justin. You're of no use to Chloe if you fall apart now," said Clark.

Laughing sadly, Justin said, "I'm of no use to her now, anyway. What's the good of having powers if they can't protect the ones you love?"

Clark heard Justin's comment, but pushed it away. He couldn't think of that now. "How quickly can you get back to Smallville?"

"Umm.Let's see, I've got to pack. Check out. Pay a little extra for the TV. If I break every speed limit between here and Smallville, then I should be able to make it in three and a half hours max."

"Well, get back here as quickly as you can. I think I may know what happened to Chloe. Last night, Lana started having visions. She said she saw someone kidnap Chloe."

"Lana's having visions? Y'know, Clark if Chloe learns how to fly and Pete starts talking to the animals, then we could start a little superhero group. Yeah, it could have a flashy name and we could all hang out, wearing skin tight, brightly colored outfits," Justin quipped sarcastically as his voice trembled.

"Justin, be serious. I know you're worried, but you have got to keep it together. When you get back in town, come straight to my place. I'm going to go get Lana and see if she's had any more visions. We'll meet you in the barn," said Clark.

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can."

With that, the line went dead. Placing the handset back on the phone rest, Clark stared at it for a second. In his mind, Clark could hear Lana telling him about the vision. Sighing, Clark shrugged hopelessly. Looking up at Lex and Martha, Clark said, "I have to go. I need to find Lana, see if she's had any more visions."

"Do you want a ride to the Talon?" asked Lex.

Glancing at his Mother, Clark replied, "No, I think a good run would help clear my head."

Turning away, Clark left the house. Lex walked to the screen door following Clark's retreating form. Lex moved to open the kitchen door, but a hand on his elbow stopped him. Looking over his shoulder, Lex saw Martha's kind face.

"Lex, are you sure I can't interest you in some ham and eggs?"

Squinting, Lex answered, "Actually, I was thinking of following Clark."

"He's long gone already, Lex. Why don't you stay and have some breakfast."

Looking back out the screen door, Lex didn't see Clark. Stepping forward, Lex opened the screen door, venturing outside. Not looking back, Lex kept walking, quickly hoping down the stairs and jogging over to his car. Looking down the driveway, Lex saw nothing, not even a dust cloud. Pulling his keys out, Lex unlocked his car and got in. Starting the car, Lex backed out of the driveway and took off. He wanted to go to Smallville's business center. He wanted to see how long it would take for Clark to get to the Talon, but work was waiting for him at the office. Yes, Lex was far too busy to follow this train of thought. He could follow it, later. Maybe. Glancing down the road leading to town, Lex decided the Talon could wait.

--<{()}>--

A Couple Minutes Later
Talon Cafe

Pulling open the front door, Clark found Lana clearing away cups and small bowls. As he walked over to her, Lana looked up at him. Brightening, Lana smiled and said, "Hey, Clark. Didn't expect to see you today."

"Lana, do you remember what happened last night?" asked Clark.

Looking down, Lana looked up at Clark from beneath lowered lids. A blush filled her cheeks as she answered, "Yes."

"Do you remember the nightmare?"

Looking up wide-eyed, Lana nodded.

"Have you had anymore?"

"No, Clark. Why do you ask?" replied Lana.

His shoulders slumping, Clark answered, "Chloe's missing. I was kind of hoping you might've seen where she is."

Laughing softly, Lana went back to clearing cups off the tables. As placed another mug on her tray, Lana said, "I'm sorry, Clark, but I may be many things, but a superhero - I am not."

Suddenly, the tray fell from Lana's fingers. Standing very still, Lana gasped for breath. As she fell to the floor, Clark rushed over and caught her. Cradling Lana, Clark stared helplessly at her glassy eyes and shaking body. After a couple minutes, Lana's eyes came back into focus. Coughing, she slowly blinked.

"Lana?" asked Clark.

"I saw Chloe, again. Somebody's got her. We have to find her. We have to save her."

Helping Lana stand up, Clark assured, "We will, Lana. I promise you."

--<{()}>--

Three Hours Later
Kent Farm

"You don't have designs on my girl, do you, Clark?" Having just overheard Clark reminiscing over the kiss he once shared with Chloe, Justin couldn't resist a jibe at his friend's expense.

Turning around quickly, Clark and Lana stared at Justin as he finished opening the barn door. Letting the door slam shut behind him, Justin strolled over to Clark and Lana. Tipping his head back at Lana, Justin said, "Heard you've become a part of the weirdness that permeates this lovely little town."

Crossing her arms over her chest, Lana looked up at Justin with angry eyes. "If by weird you mean I might be able to help find Chloe, then yes, I guess I'm weird."

The smile vanished from Justin's face. Nodding, Justin whispered, "Sorry."

Tucking her hair behind her ear, Lana said, "No, I'm sorry, Justin. It's just nothing like this has ever happened to me before."

Sitting down on a bale of hay, Lana let her face fall into her hands. Sitting beside her, Clark rubbed Lana's back. Combing her fingers through her hair, Lana pulled her black tresses away from her face. Looking straight ahead, Lana whispered, "All day, I kept repeating in my head, 'Why me?' Unfortunately, I never got an answer."

Behind Lana, Justin and Clark exchanged a knowing look. Slowly, Justin walked around Lana until he was standing in front of her. Kneeling down in front of Lana, Justin said, "Tell me about your visions. Please."

Nodding, Lana sat up. Taking a deep breath, Lana recounted her visions. "The first one was in the hospital. I saw someone place a cloth over her face. I watched her struggle, but then she just went limp."

From a couple feet away, a shovel flew across toward Lana's back. Reaching out, Clark grabbed the shovel. Glaring at Justin, Clark tucked it behind the bale of hay on which he and Lana were sitting. Quickly, Clark's glare transformed into a bright smile when Lana looked him and asked, "What was that?"

"What?" replied Clark.

Narrowing her eyes, Lana continued to look around. "The thing that just flew by."

Nervously, Clark said, "I think it was a bird?"

Nodding, Justin agreed with Clark, quickly. "Yeah, I saw it. It was an owl."

Shaking her head, Lana said, "But, I didn't hear any wings flapping."

Nodding his head, Justin said, "Of course not. Owls fly really quietly. Anyways, you were telling me about your visions."

Looking back at Justin, Lana took a moment to get back on track. "Right. My visions. Um. The second was at the Talon. I saw a room with teddy bears hanging from the ceiling. Chloe sat on the floor. She was blindfolded and tied up. I saw a man next to a door."

Grabbing Lana's knees, Justin asked excitedly, "What did he look like?"

"I don't know. He was wearing a mask. He. He-"

Lana went suddenly still. Falling backwards into Clark's arms, Lana stared into space. Tremors filled her body and she shook violently.

Jumping to his feet, Justin shouted, "What's wrong with her?"

His eyes never leaving Lana, Clark answered, "She's having a vision."

Shaking his head, Justin watched as Lana's tremors lessened. "God damn. Why can't powers just be fun? Why do they always have to carry baggage like this?"

Pulling Lana's limp body into a sitting position, Clark glanced at Justin and replied, "I don't know."

Blinking slowly, Lana came around. Looking at Clark, Lana said, "I saw Chloe. He's burying her alive."

With a steady voice, Clark asked, "Where Lana?"

"At the base of a windmill," replied Lana.

Propping Lana up, Clark made sure she could sit on her own before letting go. Turning to Justin, Clark said, "She must be at Chandler's field."

Nodding, Justin said, "Let's go

Turning to Lana, Clark said, "Lana, when you feel up to it, go to the house and tell my parents what you saw. Okay?"

"Yes," answered Lana.

Turning on his heel, Clark walked by Justin. Smacking Justin on the arm, Clark led Justin out of the barn. Outside, Justin headed for his car, but Clark stopped him.

In a shaky voice, Clark said, "I have a faster way."

Looking back at Clark, Justin asked warily, "Can I tag along on this faster way?"

Nodding, Clark said, "I think so."

Spreading his arms wide, Justin replied, "Then, do it."

Wrapping an arm around Justin, Clark pulled the boy close and up until Justin's feet dangled off the ground. After taking a second to look at Justin's surprised face, Clark looked out over the fields and set off at super speed.

A minute later, Lana stumbled from the barn. As she struggled to keep her feet, Lana noticed Justin's car. Looking around, Lana didn't see Clark or Justin. Confused but on a mission, Lana wasted no more time. Reaching for the handrail to the Kents front stairs, Lana dragged herself up the stairs and pounded hard on the Kents front door.

--<{()}>--

A Couple Minutes Later
Chandler's Field

Slowing down to normal speed, Clark jogs up to the windmill still holding onto Justin. Once he stopped completely, Clark placed Justin down on the ground. Staggering away, Justin commented, "That's a cool trick, Clark."

Looking around at the freshly tilled ground, Justin said, "I don't see anything."

Looking up at the windmill, Clark said, "Wait here."

A moment later, Clark stood on the top of the windmill platform. Looking down, Clark concentrated, turning on his x-ray vision. A few feet over from Justin, Clark saw Chloe buried beneath the Earth. Pointing at the spot, Clark yelled, "There! She's right there!"

Pointing at the same spot, Justin walked backwards. "Here?"

"Yeah!" shouted Clark.

Turning around, Justin went still. A second later, clumps of Earth flew away from the spot at which Clark pointed. Within moments, the lid of a metal coffin was uncovered. Reaching a hand forward, Justin pulled the same hand back in a sweeping gesture. As if tugged on by a string, the lid flew out of the hole, revealing an unconscious Chloe. Stepping up to the edge of the hole, Justin raised both of his hands, palms up. As if cradled in a pair of strong arms, Chloe rose out of the shallow grave. Stepping back, Justin fell to his knees as he gently placed Chloe on the grass before him.

Embracing Chloe, Justin gently brushed her hair out of her face. Oblivious to everything but Chloe, Justin barely felt the hand on his shoulder. Never looking away from Chloe's slack face, Justin barely registered it as Clark knelt beside him.

A second later, to the relief of the two boys hovering beside her, Chloe started to cough. Parting her eyes, Chloe returned Justin's gaze. Vibrations ran through her body and tears ran down her face as Chloe cried, "Justin. Oh God, Justin. I knew It. I knew you'd save me."

Burying his face in her hair, Justin pulled Chloe up into a tight embrace. Whispering into her ear, Justin vowed, "I'm never going to let anyone hurt you again. I swear, baby. Nobody will ever hurt you again."

After that, words were no longer necessary. Chloe wound her arms around Justin's neck and held on for dear life. As they rocked back and forth, Chloe and Justin kissed and cried.

Suddenly feeling uncomfortable, Clark stood up. He could still hear Chloe's cries as he walked away, but knew she was already getting all the comfort she'd ever need. Reaching the edge of the field, Clark could see blue and red lights flashing in the distance, coming closer with each passing minute.

--<{()}>--

Later That Night
Smallville Community Hospital


Trying hard to look courageous, Chloe sat up in her hospital bed. At her left, Justin stood by protectively. At the foot of her bed, Clark and Lana stood side-by-side.

Looking down at Chloe's fragile bravado, Clark carefully asked, "Chloe, do you remember anything?"

Wrapping her arms around herself, Chloe nodded. "Yeah, I do. I remember tripping on some metal rails and I remember hundreds of teddy bears hanging from the ceiling."

Chloe's breath hitched, shaking her, as she continued, "Anyway, that's where I was kept until."

Tears ran down her hot cheeks. Her voice cracked, but still Chloe continued, "I can still hear the dirt falling on the coffin."

Finally breaking down completely, Chloe turned into Justin's waiting arms. Coming around Chloe's bed, Clark sat beside Chloe's legs. Silently, Clark rubbed Chloe's leg as Chloe cried, "I'm sorry, guys. If you hadn't found me. I don't want to think about where I'd be."

Clark felt helpless as Chloe cried. Distracted by movement, Clark glanced to the left. Out of the corner of his eye, Clark noticed Lana inch out of the room. Looking over his shoulder, Clark asked, "Lana, where are you going?"

Flipping her hair over her shoulder, Lana replied, "I really need to check on the Talon."

Reaching out toward her, Clark said, "Wait, I'll go with you."

Taking Clark's hand, Lana whispered, "No, Clark. Chloe needs you more than I do right now. I'll be fine."

Unsure, Clark acquiesced, "Okay, but check in regularly. There's still a dangerous man on the loose."

Smiling, Lana let go of Clark's hand. Spinning on her heel, Lana turned away. Looking over her shoulder at the door, Lana winked before saying, "I'll do that."

--<{()}>--

May 5, 2002
Torch News Office


Intensely, Clark stared at the screen. His eyes growing big, Clark pushed the print screen button on the keyboard and turned toward the printer, willing it to go faster. From behind him, Clark heard a familiar voice, "You're not watching porn on my computer, are you?"

Turning around quickly, Clark gripped the back of his chair as he asked, "Chloe? Justin? Why isn't she at home sleeping?"

Putting his hands up in mock defense, Justin quipped, "Yeah right, like I could really do anything to stop her."

"Smart man. Look, if I fall asleep, I'll have nightmares, so I figure the best thing to do is keep busy," explained Chloe. Looking around, Chloe continued, "Which should be easy since it looks like you left enough of a mess for me to clean up."

Grabbing the paper out of the printer, Clark said, "Well, since you're here. Come take a look at this."

Taking the paper from Clark, Chloe read it quickly. Lowering the paper a little, Chloe looked at Clark over the paper's edge. "The De Kretser Syndrome, Clark?"

It's a kind of post-traumatic stress disorder. There were several cases reported during the London Blitz. Some people who were huddled in shelters would find themselves psychically linked after a bomb hit nearby."

Narrowing her eyes, Chloe commented, "This is far out, even for me."

Undaunted, Clark pressed his case, "According to this website, times of stress, anger or excitement can trigger visions."

"How long have you been here?" asked Chloe as she watched Justin organize one of the desks.

"I don't know, since about seven o'clock, this morning. Why?" asked Clark.

Shocked, Chloe stared wide-eyed at Clark and said, "For over twelve hours. Oh Clark, you need to go home. Get some sleep."

From across the room, Justin joked, "Look who's talking."

Glancing over her shoulder, Chloe sneered, "That's enough from you, mister."

Growing ever more impatient with Chloe's devil advocate routine., Clark snapped, "A couple days ago, Lana was at the scene of an explosion."

Nodding, Chloe added, "According to the police report, Whitney and two police officers named Watts and Vertigo were at the scene as well."

Staring at Chloe, Clark asked, "How do you know what's in the police report?"

Shrugging, Chloe replied, "I have a laptop with a high speed wireless modem."

Shaking his head, Clark laughed. Suddenly, he stopped laughing and looked back at Chloe. "Did you say officers Watts and Vertigo?"

Sitting on the desk, Chloe asked, "Yeah, what about them?"

Standing up, Clark answered, "Two cops named Watts and Vertigo were with your Dad when Lana told him about her visions."

Finally wide-eyed, Lana gasped, "If they know about Lana's visions and one of them is the man who kidnapped me, then Lana could be in serious danger, right now."

Staring at Chloe and Clark, Justin walked over as he chimed in, "Not the cops again. At this point, I may never recover from my general disdain for those who supposedly protect and serve."

Jumping off the desk, Chloe grabbed both Clark and Justin by the arm. "Come on. We'll take my car."

Rushing out the door, Clark said, "Good to see you return from the land of the skeptical. You were starting to worry me for a second."

Shrugging, Chloe replied, "Sorry, Clark, I'll never doubt you again. It just threw me for a loop when someone other than me was coming up with the wacky solutions."

--<{()}>--

Several Minutes Later
Talon Cafe

The first thing they noticed was the police officer spread out, face down on the floor. Racing over to him, Clark, Justin and Chloe helped him up, shaking him to consciousness. As the officer slowly came around, Clark asked, "Where's Lana?"

The officer looked around in a daze before answering. "I don't know. She was here. That guy must have grabbed her."

Shaking the officer a little too hard, Clark asked, "Deputy, where is your partner, tonight?"

His head swimming, the officer swayed slightly from side to side. Finally, with a jerk, he looked at Clark and asked, "Who? Gary? Uh. Um. He works a second job. Shh. Don't tell anybody. Moonlighting isn't allowed by the force."

Rolling his eyes, Justin commented, "Figures."

Shaking her head, Chloe asked, "Deputy, where is the second job?"

Trying to think, Deputy Vertigo answered, "At the carnival grounds."

Clark looked at Chloe and said, "You said you remembered teddy bears and metal rails."

Nodding, Chloe agreed, "The carnival's closed this time of year. It's the perfect place to hide someone."

Standing up, Clark said, "Take care of the deputy. I'm going out to the carnival grounds."

Running from the Talon, Clark looked around quickly before taking off at super speed.

--<{()}>--

A Couple Hours Later
Smallville Carnival Grounds

After giving their statements to the police, Lana and Clark walked home. With red and blue flashing behind them, Lana held tightly onto Clark by wrapping both of her arms around Clark's left arm. Nuzzling her face against the sleeve of Clark's jacket, Lana said, "Thank you, Clark."

Pulling his arm out of her vice-like grip, Clark quickly used the same arm to pull Lana into a firm hug. "No problem."

Snuggling against Clark's chest, Lana asked, "How did you ever find me, Clark?"

Cocking his head to the side, Clark answered, "Something you and Chloe said about teddy bears and I did a little research. I found a little known phenomenon called, 'De Kretser Syndrome.' Once I questioned the deputy, everything just fell into place."

Wrapping her right arm around Clark's waist, Lana pressed her left hand against Clark's chest. Hugging Clark tightly, Lana teased, "First, the research, then the questioning. Are you sure you're not the reporter in training, instead of Chloe?"

Looking down at Lana, Clark answered, "Me? A reporter? Nah, I hate to write. Though, I do type really fast."

Squeezing Clark even tighter, Lana pressed herself against Clark. "What would I do without you, Clark? Especially now that Whitney is leaving."

"Whitney's leaving?" asked Clark.

Nodding against Clark's shirt, Lana answered, "Yeah, he found some of his Father's medals and decided to join the Marines."

Pulling back from Lana, Clark exclaimed, "Intense! When does he leave?"

Looking up at Clark, Lana replied, "Next week."

"After the Spring Formal?" asked Clark.

Shaking her head, Lana looked back at the road and sighed, "The same day. I'm driving him to the bus depot that morning."

Sadly, Clark observed, "So, I guess you're not going to the Spring Formal."

Looking out into the distance, Lana said, "I guess not. Whitney was supposed to be my date, but now? It's a shame, really because I already bought the dress. I hope I still fit in it, next year."

Looking down at Lana, Clark pointed out, "Makes no sense to waste a perfectly good dress. Why don't we go to the Spring Formal together?"

Glancing up at Clark, Lana asked, "What? Don't you have a date, already?"

Visions of Lex floated in Clark's mind. At the thought, Clark blushed. Looking down at Lana's face, Clark answered quickly, "No. I wasn't even going to go. Decided I didn't want to because I couldn't ask who I wanted to."

Catching the rosy blush on Clark's cheeks, Lana blushed, as well. Batting her eyes coquettishly, Lana whispered, "And, now?"

Looking at the road before them, Clark answered, "Well, now I think where's the logic in both of us staying home, mopping around, while our friends dance the night away. We should go have some fun, too."

Rubbing the side of her cheek against Clark's chest, Lana said, "I'd like that."

Tensing up just a bit, Clark remarked, "Of course, we'll just go as friends. In fact, let's meet at the school. It'll feel less like an actual date that way."

Smiling, though a little disappointed, Lana replied, "Okay, You're on, Mr. Kent."

CHAPTER SIX: A Different Tempest Takes Its Turn

Unbendable steel - Bends,

If the fury of the wind is unstoppable,

- "The Impossible" performed by Joe Nichols

May 8, 2002

Smallville High School

Pete couldn’t help but laugh. Walking in Pete’s direction was one Clark Kent, oblivious to the world as he flipped through the pages of a fashion magazine. Clark wore the most intense look of concentration as he flipped the magazine’s pages back and forth. Shaking his head, Pete reached out and grabbed Clark’s arm as he walked by. Startled, Clark looked up wide-eyed. The deer in the headlights look was too much. Pete broke down laughing.

After a couple minutes, Pete pressed a hand to his chest and panted, "I’m sorry, Clark. It’s just hard to watch the charter member of the ‘Flannel Association For Men’ flip through a fashion magazine like a normal person."

"Ha. Ha. Very funny," replied Clark, rolling his eyes dramatically. Showing the magazine to Pete, Clark asked, "Help me out, Pete. I need to get my tux order in today. What do you think? Classic black or traditional red?"

Faking seriousness, Pete took the magazine. Appearing to really give the question great consideration, Pete stroked his chin for a second then glanced at Clark. "Black. Definitely, black. Your long lines? It’ll be very Clark Gablish."

"Really?" Smiling, Clark took the magazine back from Pete. So deep in thought, Clark never noticed how Pete strained to keep from laughing.

From behind, the two boys were taken by surprise when Lana snuck up and said, "Personally Clark, I think you look best in red."

Shocked, Pete and Clark jumped a little before turning around. Nodding cordially, Clark stated, "Well, then red it is, especially since you’re the one who’s going to have to dance with me."

Turning to Lana, Pete whined, "Thanks a lot. Now, I have to go make a call and change my order."

Winking at Clark, Pete joked, "Don’t want people mistaking us for twins."

Slapping Clark on the arm, Pete nodded at Lana before walking away. To Pete’s quickly retreating form, Clark yelled, "Yeah, because that happens all the time."

Laughing, Lana watched Clark shake his head and run his hand through his unruly hair. Leaning into Clark’s personal space, Lana asked, "So, are you excited about the dance?"

Taking a step back, Clark replied, "Yeah. You?"

Taking Clark’s hand, Lana practically purred, "Oh, yes."

Bells sounded in Clark’s head. Pulling his hand away, Clark looked around the hallways for a distraction when he saw Chloe and Justin turn the corner. Stepping away from Lana, Clark walked up to Justin and Chloe, never so happy to see two people before in his life. Unfortunately, the closer to the couple he got, the more Clark noticed they weren’t smiling. In fact, Chloe’s eyes looked somewhat puffy and red. Concerned, Clark closed the distance between them quickly and asked, "Chloe, what’s wrong?"

Holding onto Justin’s arm tightly, Chloe spoke with half a sob, "They’re closing the LuthorCorp plant."

--<{()}>--

After School

Luthor Castle

Impatiently, Clark drummed his fingers on the chairs wooden armrests. Seated before Lex’s desk, Clark waited for Lex to arrive. Of course, Sheila did say Lex was busy, very busy, in fact, but then, Sheila always said that. Standing up, Clark couldn’t suppress his curiosity as he ran his eyes over Lex’s desk. Noting a financial plan he didn’t completely understand, Clark quickly became absorbed in a couple articles on corporate buy-out, almost to the point that he didn’t notice the flurry of movement in his peripheral.

Holding a numbers of thin folders, Lex entered his office. Looking up from an open folder, Lex smiled and said, "Hey, Clark. I got your messages, but I’ve been having a bad day."

Walking around his desk, Lex dropped the files with a loud thud. Sitting down, Lex opened his laptop and started attacking the keys. Lex hit the enter key and in the distance a printer could be heard revving back to life. Picking up the phone, Lex punched speed dial #3. "Sheila, I’ve got something coming through the printer right now. Bring it in when it’s done."

Slamming the phone down, Lex locked his laptop and turned to Clark who had found his way back to one of the two comfortable chairs positioned in front of Lex’s desk. "As much as I enjoy a visit from you Clark, are you sure you can afford being seen with the town pariah?

"I’ll take my chances," replied Clark. Smiling kindly at Lex, Clark looked into his green eyes and saw the fatigue Lex worked so hard to hide. "What happened, Lex?"

Sitting back, Lex played with a pen on his desk as he replied, "The two prevailing theories seem to be that I either ran the plant into the ground through sheer incompetence, or did it deliberately so I could go back to Metropolis."

Frowning, Clark asserted, "Lex, your Dad already offered you a job in Metropolis and you turned it down. Why not just tell people the truth?"

Tossing the pen onto the desk, Lex sat forward. Leaning over the desk, Lex laced his fingers together and braced his elbows on the solid piece of mahogany. "Because If I did tell the truth, I would be stuck with the incompetence rap. Being reviled is the lesser evil."

Chewing on his lip, Clark asked in a whisper, "Does this mean you’re going back to Metropolis?"

Locking his green eyes with Clark’s blue, Lex answered, "That’s what my Father would have me do, but this isn’t over?"

A light returned to Clark’s eyes. Leaning forward, Clark asked excitedly, "You have a plan?"

"Always," answered Lex, smugly.

At that moment, Sheila entered with a manila folder. Her curly blond hair pulled back into a barely contained bun, Sheila handed over the folder to Lex efficiently and remained by his side as he looked over the folder’s contents. Closing the folder, Lex nodded at Sheila. "This is fine. You can go now, Sheila."

Turning on her heel, Sheila left the office with a series of rapid footfalls and a whispered, "As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

Astonished, Clark followed Sheila’s retreating form. Bringing his eyes back to Lex, Clark observed, "You’re really busy."

Nodding, Lex said, "Yes Clark, I am. Normally, nothing would be more important than you, but these are not normal times."

Standing, Clark smiled down at Lex, "I get it."

Looking up at Clark, Lex whispered, "Thanks for stopping by, Clark. It means a lot."

Reaching down, Clark took Lex’s hand. For a moment, Clark just stared at their mingled fingers before raising his gaze to Lex’s. "What are friends for?"

With a final squeeze, Clark let go of Lex’s hand and left the office.

--<{()}>--

March 10, 2002

Smallville High School

Wandering the halls, Lana and Whitney reminisced. Walking up to the trophy case, Whitney placed his hands on the glass. "It’s hard to believe. I thought my whole life was in that trophy case. Now, it all seems so trivial."

Running her hand up and down Whitney’s arm, Lana asked, "Did you get everything squared away with the administration?"

"Yeah," answered Whitney. Stepping away from the case, Whitney placed his right arm around Lana. Walking down the hallway, Whitney continued, "They allowed my teachers to apply last semesters grades because of everything with my Dad, so I was technically done with school weeks ago. I was just signing the necessary paperwork, today so they could give me proof of graduation. I need to have it when I arrive at the recruiter’s office."

Nodding, Lana wrapped an arm around Whitney under his letterman jacket. "I guess we better get you to the bus station then."

Glancing at Lana, Whitney said, "We don’t need to go yet. How about we check out the gym?"

Shrugging, Lana answered, "Okay."

Placing a kiss on the top of Lana’s head, Whitney led her to the gym. Reaching out his left hand, Whitney flipped on the lights. The gym shimmered from a revolving disco ball hanging from the center of the ceiling. Spinning around, Lana and Whitney stared at all the brightly colored foil embossed cut out hearts, the twirled streamers stretched across the ceiling and hanging around the doors.

Pulling away from Lana, Whitney left her in the center of the dance floor. Extending a hand in her direction, Whitney insisted, "Wait. Stay there."

Crossing the dance floor, Whitney reached into his pocket and pulled out a CD. Placing the CD in a small stereo left behind by someone on the Homecoming committee, Whitney punched play and jogged back to Lana. Coming to a stop a few feet in front of her, Whitney smiled at Lana. Returning Whitney’s smile, Lana stepped forward. Meeting in the middle, Lana and Whitney started to sway together to the romantic ballad coming from the stereo. For several rocking turns, they looked into each other’s eyes before Lana looked away and placed her head on Whitney’s shoulder.

Holding onto Lana tightly, Whitney whispered, "I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before I enlisted."

Rubbing her cheek against Whitney’s shoulder, Lana replied softly and sweetly, "I think you’re being very brave."

Wrapping his arms all the way around Lana, Whitney held her tighter still. "Lana, I know you’re confused. I know things have been rough lately, but-"

Rubbing Whitney’s back, Lana said in a soothing tone, "Whitney, let’s just dance."

Together, they rocked and swayed. Alone on the dance floor, they clung to each other. There was love in their hands and in the kisses they pressed to each other’s necks, but there was fear in their eyes. In a couple minutes that just flew right by, the song wound down, its chorus repeating as it faded to silence.

Pulling apart, Whitney couldn’t meet Lana’s eyes. Stepping around her, Whitney jogged back to the stereo and stopped the CD. Ejecting the disc, Whitney put the CD back in his pocket before reaching for Lana’s hand. Walking slowly towards Whitney, Lana found herself reaching for him as well.

Walking through the halls, Lana and Whitney didn’t say a word. Leaving the school behind, they never said a thing. In Whitney’s red pick-up truck, they drove in silence. No radio. No conversation. Just the sound of them breathing.

Finally, Lana pulled up to the bus depot. Looking over at Whitney, Lana asked, "Do you have everything?"

Nodding, Whitney replied, "Yeah. They only allow one bag."

Laughing sadly, Lana said, "I’d never make it as a Marine."

With a turn of the key, the truck’s motor shut down. Shifting a bit in her seat, Lana looked at Whitney’s sad face. Reaching into her pocket, Lana pulled out her meteor rock necklace. Taking Whitney’s hand, Lana pressed the delicate bijoux into his palm. "I want you to have this."

Mouth agape, Whitney tried to protest, but Lana’s caressing hands would not allow it. Closing his hand into a fist, Whitney swore, "I promise not to lose it this time."

Reaching out, they embraced. Gripping fistfuls of cloth and flesh, Whitney and Lana held onto each other a second more. Fighting back their tears, they pulled away. Opening the passenger side door, Whitney looked directly into Lana’s eyes and said, "Goodbye, Lana."

Jumping from the truck, Whitney reached into the bed of the truck and pulled out a small duffel bag. Crossing back in front of the car, Whitney looked at Lana through the windshield and smiled. Waving, Whitney turned away and headed for the bus. Gripping the duffel bag handle tightly, Whitney placed his foot on the bus’s first step.

"Whitney!"

Turning around, Whitney was gifted with the sight of Lana running straight to him. Placing his bag on the step, Whitney took a couple of steps forward before colliding with Lana. Winding their arms around each other, Whitney vowed, "I loved you the first moment I saw you. I will still love you when I see you again."

Pulling back, Lana saw the truth in his eyes. At a loss for words, Lana reached up and threaded her fingers in his hair. Dragging him down, Lana kissed him with all the love she once felt for him. Breaking the kiss, Lana ducked her head, still fighting tears. She felt Whitney’s lips brush against her forehead. Looking up, Lana saw Whitney’s smile - Happy and filled with hope. Struggling to smile, Lana let go of Whitney and quietly watched him board the bus. Seconds later, the bus doors closed and the engines roared to life. Lana waved at Whitney’s hope filled face as the bus pulled away from the slip. Standing on the lonely platform, Lana watched the bus until only a swirling ball of dust marked its location.

Sighing loudly, Lana turned away and returned to the truck. Driving away, Lana headed for home, to the red party dress hanging on her closet door and the high heels she bought especially for tonight.

--<{()}>--

Meanwhile At The Kent Farm

Some things were just not meant to be done with really large hands. This was Clark’s conclusion as he fiddled and fumbled about with the ends of his black bow tie. Beneath him, Clark heard the barn door open. Sighing loudly, Clark accepted defeat. Letting his arms fall to his side, Clark called out, "Mom, can you give me a hand with this?"

No response, but footsteps.

Cautiously, Clark turned around and asked, "Who’s there?"

Step by step, Lex ascended into Clark’s fortress. At the sight of Clark wearing a classic black tux, Lex felt his throat among other things tighten. Seeing the apprehension on Clark’s face, Lex answered, "It’s only me, Clark. You all right?"

Nodding, Clark answered as he started fumbling with his tie again, "Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just this stupid tie."

"Come here," With a simple flicking of two fingers, Lex motioned for Clark to come closer. Taking the tie ends between his fingers, Lex started tying a classic knot. Thinking out loud, Lex commented, "I’m sure I’ve tied more of these than your Mother."

Laughing nervously, Clark inhaled deeply, taking full advantage of Lex standing so close. "I thought you were holed up in the castle."

His eyes never leaving Clark’s tie, Lex said, "I needed to clear my head. Took a drive. Ended up here."

Looking up at Clark’s blue eyes, Lex asked, "You don’t mind, do you?"

Swallowing slowly, Clark answered, "No. I’ve got a little while before I have to leave."

Stepping back, Lex inspected his work. Stepping forward again, Lex reached up and adjusted the tie a little more. "So, you’re picking Lana up?"

Shaking his head, Clark replied quickly, "No. We’re meeting at the school."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark asked, "Are you jealous?"

Still holding onto the tie, Lex paused. Leaning toward Clark, Lex met Clark’s gaze. "Do I have any reason to be?"

Gasping slightly, Clark opened his mouth, but it was a second before any sounds came out of it. "No. We’re only going as friends because we couldn’t go with who we really wanted to go with."

Glancing back down at the tie, Lex let go of the scrap of cloth and whispered, "Perfect."

"Excuse me?" asked Clark.

Nodding toward the tie, Lex answered, "Your tie. It’s perfect."

"Oh," sighed Clark. Looking back in the mirror, Clark drew his jacket closed and fastened the button. "How is the bailout going?"

Switching gears easily, Lex replied, "Not sure, Clark. I think it’s going to get uglier before it gets better. My Father is dead set against me succeeding."

Shaking his head, Clark asked, "Why?"

Sighing Lex said, "We have a complicated relationship, Clark. My Father wants me to be believe it’s built on trust, but it’s not. It’s built on deceit and lies. Any relationship with that foundation is destined to fail."

Placing a hand on Clark’s shoulder, Lex smiled at Clark. "Lucky, we don’t have that problem."

Cocking his head to the side, Clark tensed up in his shoulders and looked away. "Right."

Eyeing Clark closely, Lex mused, ‘What are you keeping from me, Clark?’ Reaching up, Lex placed his hands on Clark’s shoulders and said, "Whatever happens in the next few days, I want you to know that I care about you and that’s never gong to change. I hope you feel the same way."

Returning Lex’s intense stare, Clark replied, "I do. You know I do."

Slapping Clark’s shoulders, Lex took a long step backwards. Sliding his arms behind his back, Lex warned, "Be careful, tonight."

Looking at Lex quizzically, Clark asked, "Sure, but why?"

Shaking his head, Lex replied, "For some reason, I have a bad feeling about tonight." Looking out the window, Lex continued, "Just a bad feeling. I can feel something coming. Kind of like when you can smell the air change before a storm."

Standing beside Lex, Clark looked out the window, too, noticing the howling wind for the first time. "Storms are a way of life around here, Lex. The trick is not to get caught out in the open."

Nodding, Lex looked down. Glancing at Clark, Lex saw the concern etched in Clark’s features and smiled. Patting Clark on the arm, Lex turned and walked away.

--<{()}>--

Half Hour Later

Smallville High School

The sight before them took Clark and Pete’s breath away. Walking up the front walk leading to the school were Justin and Chloe. Justin wore a simple black tuxedo, but what grabbed the boy’s attention was Chloe dressed in a hot pink floor length gown. The design had an oriental influence and flattered her figure. Her hair was curled and pinned into sweeping rows of waves. Her make-up was immaculate. Her skin glowed and her smile was genuinely exquisite, but hands down, the most appealing part of Chloe’s appearance were her eyes. They shined brightly with happiness as she stepped from Justin’s car, looking directly at Justin’s adoring face. Winding her hand around Justin’s offered arm, Chloe rested her chin on Justin’s shoulder as he reached out and ran a gentle finger down the line of her jaw.

As they walked up the steps, Chloe was a quirky girl transformed into a radiant goddess. Her head held high, her posture was regal. Every step slow and graceful as she swayed hypnotically like a field of wheat.

Entranced, Clark and Pete could only stare at their friend. ‘Who knew?’ thought Clark as he silently watched his tomboyish friend ascend the stairs, every movement exuding feminine mystique. Glancing at Pete, Clark saw his reaction reflected in his childhood friend’s bulging eyes.

Finally, Chloe noticed Clark and Pete standing at the doors to the school. Just like that, the spell was broken as she giggled - A little girl again. Letting go of Justin’s arm, Chloe picked her skirt up a few inches from the ground and ran the rest of the way up the stairs. Stopping right in front of Clark and Pete, Chloe spun in a circle and asked, "Well, what do you think? Too pink?"

"Oh, I have got to hug you!" Stepping forward, Pete drew Chloe into a friendly hug and a kiss on the cheek. "You look great, Chloe."

Pulling away from Pete, Chloe was instantly drawn into another hug by Clark. Looking down at Chloe’s smiling face, Clark said, "I agree completely with Pete. Who knew such an elegant woman was hiding under your tie-dyes and blue jeans?"

"That would be me," answered Justin as he walked up to the group.

Chloe pulled away from Clark eagerly and quickly walked over to Justin, smiling the whole time. Wrapping an arm around Chloe’s waist, Justin leaned in and kissed Chloe chastely. Pulling back, Chloe blushed. For a second the goddess returned as Chloe demurely bowed her head and looked up at Justin through her eyelashes.

Just like that, Justin was entranced. Light-headed, but not wanting everyone to know, Justin broke away from Chloe’s gaze and looked at Clark and Pete. "What’s up? Why are you waiting outside?"

"It was just good timing on my part. I came to check on Clark here before returning to the dance," answered Pete. Looking over his shoulder, Pete nodded in the direction of the gym. "In fact, I should really be getting back to Erica before someone else asks her to dance."

With a step backwards, Pete excused himself from the circle and reentered the gym. Turning to Clark, Justin shielded his face from the rising winds and asked, "And, you?"

Shrugging, Clark slipped his hands in his pockets and answered, "I’m waiting for Lana to get here. We’re supposed to meet at the front steps."

Shaking his head, Justin commented, "That’s weak, farm boy. Are you telling me you didn’t have the good manners to go pick the girl up?"

"It’s not a date date. We’re just going as friends," replied Clark.

Smirking suspiciously, Chloe said, "Yeah right. You have Lana all to yourself for an entire evening with no chance of Whitney showing up, but you’re just going as friends. I’ll believe that in a million years."

Looking over her shoulder, Chloe asked, "Clark, how did you get here? I don’t see the truck."

"My parents dropped me off. They’re in town doing a little business at the bank. I thought I could get a ride home from Lana."

At this point, Justin noticed that Chloe’s chin was shaking. Squeezing Chloe’s waist, Justin said, "Well, I hope you don’t get stood up, Clark, but I think we need to be getting inside."

As they passed by Clark, Chloe looked around at the angry clouds filling the sky. Pausing, Chloe advised, "Don’t stay out here too long, Clark. It looks like a storm’s coming.."

Looking up, Clark inspected the clouds for a second before looking back at Chloe and nodding.

Alone on the steps, Clark stared out at the horizon. In one direction, the sun was shining brightly. In the other, storm clouds clung darkly to the sky. Over his head, the mostly white clouds were quickly turning gray, moving swiftly across the sky. ‘The wind must be a gale up there,’ thought Clark.

By degrees, the winds bore up their strength. With an ear-shattering din, the door behind him slammed shut. Fascinated, Clark watched as papers flew by and boxes tumbled down the street. All around Clark, banners and posters tore away from the walls to which they were once secured. Standing calmly, Clark watched the violent scene unfold.

Braced against the wind was how Clark first saw the man. His arm shielding his face and his thick coat flapping wilding around him, the gentleman struggled for each forward step. As he reached the school grounds, he started to lose his war against the raging winds.

Rushing down the steps, Clark caught the man as he tumbled to the left. Finally able to see the man’s face, Clark recognized the man as Jim Alexander - The loan officer from the bank. As fast as he could without it looking strange, Clark pulled Mr. Alexander up the steps and into the school.

"Mr. Alexander, what are you doing here? Did something happen at the bank?" asked Clark.

Panting heavily, Jim leaned over, grasping his knees as he sucked in air. After a few harsh breaths, Jim shook his head harshly and slowly stood up. "Everything is fine, Clark. Your parents. Most of the parents in town are at the bank right now. The bank is built like Fort Knox. Nothing to worry about there."

Quizzically, Clark squinted at Jim and inquired, "Then, why are you here?"

"To warn you kids to stay inside, of course. The phones are out and tornados are dropping all over town," answered Jim as he straightened his clothes.

"Tornados," said Clark. ‘Lana.’

Adjusting his collar, Mr. Alexander turned away from Clark. Jim started walking toward the gym and the high-bass music coming from within. Waving for Clark to follow him, Jim said, "Yep. Tornados. Well, let’s get you kids down into a shelter. Y’know, now that I come to think of it, how were you just standing out there against those winds, Clark?"

Turning back towards the front doors, Jim Alexander found himself standing alone in the hallway. "Clark?"

--<{()}>--

Meanwhile At Luthor Castle

"So, you’re using your mother’s stock to fund this buyout. That’s your secret source," sneered Lionel as lightening flashed around him.

In response, Lex rolled his eyes and dug deeper into his executive armchair. Lionel crossed the room, circling in on Lex. Coming to stand behind Lex, Lionel rested his elbows on the high back of the chair and said, "I must admit, it’s a bold move, Lex. But, it won’t work."

Standing up, Lex buttoned his jacket as he stepped away from the chair. Turning around, Lex placed his arms behind his back and asked, "Did you brave this weather to tell me that?"

Pushing the chair away, Lionel stepped forward forcefully and stood with his hands clasped tightly behind his back. "It’s suicide, Lex! You may get the plant, but you’re putting your employee’s homes on the line. Forfeiting your own future!"

Bringing his hands forward, Lex took a single step forward. "Or forging a new destiny free of you!"

As Lionel took a step back, his face fell. Wide-eyed and slack-jawed, Lionel said, "You’re not my enemy. You’re my son."

Smiling cruelly, Lex replied, "I never saw the distinction."

Disbelief and the shadow of something infinitely sadder filled Lionel’s eyes. Taking a step back, Lionel spread his hands, palms out. Meeting Lex’s smirking eyes, Lionel cleared his throat and said, "When Alexander the Great was dying, his generals asked who he would leave his empire to. If he would appoint a successor, it would keep the legacy intact. It would prevent generations of bloodshed. His answer was simple - I leave it to the strongest."

A slight tremor of laughter rippled off Lex’s chest. Walking up to Lionel, Lex stood face to face with his Father, almost touching him. "I believe the term is ‘Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.’"

At Lex’s words, Lionel made a quick movement that he never got to finish. The high windows behind Lex’s desk chose that moment to give in to the fury of nature’s open hand. Shards of shattered glass flew into the room, propelled by a gale strong enough to send the two mighty Luthors to their knees, scrambling for cover.

Stronger this time, the gusts invaded the Luthor ancestral home. Forced across the floor, Lex slammed into a small bookcase, bringing the wooden piece and all the old books within it down on top of him. Across the room, Lionel struggled to get to his feet when the wind knocked out his legs from underneath him. Sprawling helplessly, Lionel battled against the wind. Unable to rally the necessary strength, Lionel fell back. All around Lionel, the very walls did the same. As the energy to fight drained from Lionel’s body so did the centuries old columns, parapets and battlements of that old stone castle lay down in defeat.

Cracking like thunderbolts, the support beams fell. Their jagged, splintered edges pointing dangerously at the ground below and, in one instance, directly above Lionel’s trapped body. Covered by a priceless column, Lionel pushed against the pillar’s porcelain veneer. Looking around wildly, Lionel saw Lex free himself from the mountain of books. Reaching out a trembling hand, Lionel pled in a strangled voice, "Lex! Help me, Lex! Lex! I can’t move!"

The winds grew quieter. Their fury still existent, but muted somehow. Against this paler threat, Lex stood and slowly crossed the room. Like a jug of water placed just outside the reach of a thirsty man, Lex stood almost close enough to reach his Father. Leaning back, Lex wiped away the blood streaming down his face as he looked into his Father’s helpless eyes.

Reaching out desperately, Lionel grasped at air. Making small grunting sounds, Lionel begged, "Son! Help me.!"

--<{()}>--

Meanwhile On The Road Leading Out Of Smallville

As Clark fell out of super speed, he stood beside the route 90 sign. Churning wildly, a giant tornado raged not fifty yards from him. Even closer, the red paintjob of Whitney’s new pick-up truck grabbed Clark’s attention. With horror, Clark watched as Lana stared back at him from inside Whitney’s truck. Her eyes were wide open. A look of shock crossed her face. Suddenly animated, Lana placed her hands flat against the glass and screamed, "Clark!"

His feet firmly planted, Clark watched as Lana slammed her hands against the window again and again. As loudly as he could, Clark yelled back, "Lana!"

"Clark!" wailed Lana.

As Lana’s last scream filled his ears, Clark watched as the swirling funnel cloud dragged the truck off the ground. Lana’s fear filled eyes were the last thing Clark saw as the tornado swallowed up the red pick-up.

"No," screamed Clark as he ran into the raging tempest.

Around and around, the twister spun Clark. Looking about him, Clark felt dizzy and sick to his stomach. Too late, Clark realized that strength is useless when there’s nothing to use it against, when your enemy is a vortex of swirling air. There’s nothing to punch. There’s nothing to strike. Instead, Clark found himself thrown about like a rag doll, just another piece of debris picked up by the tornado.

Twice, Clark almost crashed into uprooted trees and mailboxes. More times than that, the debris met its mark, flinging Clark about like a pinball. For what felt like an eternity, Clark flew about aimlessly until he spied the truck. Focusing on the bright red paintjob, Clark steadied his mind. Finally able to think, Clark felt the knobbed surfaced of an unearthed tree hit him square in the back. Reaching behind himself, Clark dug his fingers into the bark of the tree. Bracing a foot against the side of the gnarled tree, Clark let go of the bark and pushed hard sending himself flying directly at the pick-up.

Grabbing the side of the truck, Clark looked over his shoulder in time to see the tree he used for leverage be flung free of the tempest. Smiling, Clark felt an idea form. Looking around, Clark forced himself to ignore the swirling colors and focus on one flying object at a time. Then, he spotted it - The remains of a rooftop. It was just what he needed. With his plan set, Clark turned back to the truck he held onto firmly.

Looking into the cab, Clark jumped a little at the sight of Lana pressed against the passenger side window, staring at him. Swallowing hard, Clark motioned for Lana to get down. Confusion filled her round brown eyes before comprehension dawned. Crawling into the passenger side foot well, Lana covered her head with her arms, drawing her knees up to her chin.

Looking back at the roof, Clark judged the distance between the truck and the roof carefully. Determining it to be about twenty feet, Clark braced his feet against the pick-up, Clark pushed against the metal shell with all of his strength. Flying forward, Clark reached out and, upon reaching the roof, pushed against it. Thrown backwards, Clark curled himself into as tight a ball as a six-foot-one boy can manage. Flying through the air, Clark felt himself break free of the tornado. A few seconds later, he landed with a couple thuds, several flips and a final slam as his body contacted with a solid brick wall.

"Clark!"

His name, screamed at high decibels, filled his hazy mind. Opening his eyes, Clark found himself staring directly into Lana’s worried eyes. The wind knocked out of him, Clark’s vision swam and his stomach did flip-flops. Looking to the right, Clark saw the twisted remnants of Whitney’s truck resting on its side, the passenger door flung open. Looking around, Clark recognized the brick wall standing before him as belonging to the chimney attached to the Kent family home. Struggling to his feet, Clark grabbed Lana by the hand and led her to the storm cellar.

Once inside, Clark secured the door. Backing away from the rattling doors, Clark walked right into Lana’s shaking body. Turning around, Clark took Lana into his arms. Shuffling to the side, Clark all but carried Lana over to a small bench. Sitting Lana down, Clark knelt before her, taking her hands in his own.

With a gentle hand, Lana reached out and stroked Clark’s cheek. Running slender fingertips through Clark’s hair, Lana felt a tear slide down her cheek as she wrapped her arms around Clark’s neck and surrendered to the tears of relief that refused to be restrained.

--<{()}>--

That Moment, At Luthor Castle

For several seconds, his Father’s desperate cries continued. A cold smirk drawn on Lex’s face, Lex crouched down to get a better look at the man who had caused him so much trouble in his life. Lex remembered Lionel’s idea of Fatherly advice, ‘Remember Lex, always be the one doing the fucking, not the one getting fucked.’

Finding a secure center of balance, Lex watched his Father’s strength wash away. Positioning his fingers into the shape of a diamond, Lex thought of the day his Mother died. He saw the tubes and heard the machines again as if he’d never left. From the door, he watched as his Father held his Mother’s hand gently, sacredly pressing light kisses against her weak fingertips. Still wearing the suit from three days ago, Lionel looked as haggard as the frail woman stretched out on the bed before him.

Entering the room, Lex stood by his Mother’s bedside. With the little strength she had left, Lily brought up a thin hand, placing her cool fingertips over Lex’s bare scalp. After licking her cracked lips several times, Lily whispered, "This isn’t what I wanted for you, Alex."

Squeezing his eyes shut, Lex remembered how his Mother’s hand slid down his face, falling lifelessly to the bed. Lex remembered how his Father’s voice filled the room as he repeated her name over and over again.

Opening his eyes, Lex was rewarded with the sight of his Father’s unconscious face. Only then, did he notice the blood. A small pool of blood pooled at the small of Lionel’s back., spreading slowly. Running his eyes over Lionel’s face, Lex recalled the ebony space waiting for Lionel’s name to be formed out of inlayed marble. Lex thought of how his Mother’s face glowed whenever she looked at Lionel’s face. Even across crowded banquet halls, Lily would glance over at her husband and smile widely.

Especially, Lex remembered what his Mother’s answer was to the many times he asked why she loved his Father, ‘Love is a mystery, Alex, that if you’re lucky, you never solve.’

Looking down, Lex stared at his hands. Even after all the times he’d washed them, Lex could still see the left over bits of crimson gore. Staining his skin, Roger Nixon’s phantom blood beckoned to him now. ‘Pathetic little man. He won’t stop. If I let him go, he’ll be back. No, this is the only way.’

In Lex, a struggle commenced. As much a fight as ever occurred between Michael and Lucifer brewed and stormed within Lex. He mused, ‘How am I any different now, right this minute, from the man I was the night I killed Roger Nixon?’

Within moments, Lex had his answer. Before him, Lex saw the scene from earlier that day. Standing in Clark’s fortress of solitude, Lex had done what he’d sworn he’d never do. He admitted he had feelings. He admitted he cared for someone other than himself. He’d been vulnerable like he was in the months that followed the meteor shower. Incredibly, Lex knew, ‘It was the right thing to do.’

To his utter surprise, Clark accepted all of it without hesitation. With a maturity most adults don’t possess, Clark had reciprocated with six words that said everything. "I do. You know I do."

Crouched down beside his dying Father, Lex finally realized the difference between weeks ago and today and that difference meant everything. It infused Lex with a vigor he didn’t know he could experience. It gave Lex strength to try. Standing up, Lex strained against the smooth, stone pillar. Soon, Lex felt the heavy column give. With a few more hard shoves, Lex managed to push the pillar off Lionel.

Pulling his cell phone out of his pocket, Lex dialed 9-1-1. "Hello, this is Lex Luthor. I’m at Luthor Castle and my Father has been seriously injured. He’s bleeding and he’s unconscious."

Impatiently, Lex listened as the operator told him a ambulance would be on its way, shortly. Flipping the phone shut, Lex flung the slender plastic phone across the room. After several minutes of standing across the room, Lex felt himself drawn to his Father’s unconscious body. Looking down, Lex couldn’t remember seeing his Father so ashen pale.

--<{()}>--

That Very Moment In The Kent’s Storm Cellar

"What are you?" Holding Clark’s shoulders firmly, Lana asked, "How did you do all that?"

Ducking his head down, Clark pulled away from Lana. Getting off his knees, Clark stumbled a few steps over and sat beside her. Not looking at Lana, Clark answered, "I don’t know how. I just do it. As for what I am - I’m something that belongs on Chloe’s wall."

Reaching out, Lana clutched Clark’s chin, forcing Clark to look at her. "You listen to me, Clark. Don’t you ever say that again. I don’t know what you are and I don’t care. Nobody belongs on that wall. No one, not me and certainly not you."

Looking directly into Lana’s serious face, Clark saw nothing but honesty. Standing up, Clark extended a hand to her. Happy at how quickly she took it, Clark tugged Lana to her feet and led her across the room.

In a back corner, covered in an old green tarp, sat Clark’s spaceship. Kneeling down before it, Clark pulled Lana down beside him. Nervously, Clark looked at Lana again before reaching out and pulling back the green tarp, exposing the metal spacecraft.

Taking a hold of Lana’s hand, Clark placed her palm against the smooth dark gray exterior.

Letting go of Lana’s hand, Clark let Lana explore. Delicately, she brushed her fingers over the inscriptions along the edges. Pausing, she let the flesh of her fingertips squeeze into the indentations, feeling their depth. Finally, after several minutes, Lana looked back up at Clark.

In a quiet voice, Clark explained, "I’m an alien. I don’t know where I come from. All I know is that I’m not human."

Wide-eyed, Lana looked back at the tiny vessel. Spreading out her hands, Lana touched the bumpy outer hull. Smiling, Lana said, "Clark, this explains everything. It explains how you saved me over and over again. How you do the little things, like getting to school before the bus does and how you can sit at the Talon for hours after every other farm kid I know has left to do chores."

Turning, Lana hugged Clark tightly. Against his tense chest, Lana sighed, "This is wonderful, Clark. It all makes sense, now."

Placing shaking hands on Lana’s shoulders, Clark pushed her away. Barely keeping eye contact, Clark whispered, "There’s more. Lana, I came down the day of the meteor showers. I’m the reason the meteors landed here. Because of me, so many bad things happened."

Sliding his hands down Lana’s arms, Clark wrapped his large fingers around Lana’s petite hands. "Can you ever forgive me?"

Sliding her hands out of Clark’s grip, Lana did her best to copy Clark’s gesture by placing her hands over his. "Forgive you for what?"

Swallowing hard, Clark answered, "For killing your parents."

Shaking her head, Lana couldn’t help but chuckle, letting out an airy laugh. "Oh Clark, you didn’t kill my parents. The meteorites killed my parents. It was a freak thing of nature, Clark. You’re no more to blame for the meteorites than you are to blame for the twisters outside."

With Lana’s acceptance and absolution, Clark felt a weight rise off his shoulders. Leaning forward, Clark took Lana in his arms. Her breath was hot and moist against his throat as Clark felt Lana’s lips press against his collarbone. Hugging Lana tightly, Clark vaguely registered the rhythmic way Lana’s fingertips glanced off his back, sending shivers up and down his spine.

Inch by inch, Lana wound her right hand up until it cradled Clark’s cheek. Pulling away from Clark, Lana barely gave Clark a moment to think before leaning forward and pressing her lips against his.

For a second, there was only sensation - The feeling of lips sliding over his. Clark had to admit he liked it, but a voice screamed in his mind and a bell rang so hard between his temples that it hurt. Placing his hands on Lana’s upper arms, Clark pushed Lana away.

"Don’t," ordered Clark, with a slow shake of his head.

Confusion filled Lana’s eyes. Searching Clark’s face, Lana asked, "But, Why? I thought you liked me, Clark."

"I did once, but I don’t anymore. I’m sorry," replied Clark.

Shaking her head again, Lana said, "Don’t be sorry, Clark. You can’t help how you feel. Trust me, I know."

Standing up, Clark took Lana’s hands. Pulling up, Clark effortlessly helped Lana to her feet. Bending down, Clark recovered the spaceship with the green tarp. Walking away from the vessel, Clark and Lana were silent until they sat down on the bench. Turning her head, Lana asked, "Is there somebody else?"

Returning Lana’s gaze, Clark answered, "Yes."

With the light bouncing off her long hair, Lana inquired, "Who?"

Blushing bright red, Clark replied, "I don’t know, Lana."

Narrowing her eyes, Lana pointed at the spaceship with a sweeping gesture of her hand. "C’mon Clark, if you can trust me with that, then surely you can trust me to know who."

Standing up, Clark paced. After several turns, Clark came to an abrupt stop. Looking at Lana, Clark swallowed hard. "Lex. It’s Lex."

Sitting back against the wall behind her, Lana asked, "Lex? Lex Luthor?"

Quickly, Clark nodded.

Smiling sadly, Lana looked up at Clark’s stricken face. "Well now, everything really does make sense."

Worrying her bottom lip, Lana asked, "Oh Clark, are you sure?"

"Sure about what? That my crush is on a guy? Or, that the guy is Lex Luthor?"

"Both," answered Lana, a nervous giggle filling her voice. "I mean, he’s so much older and richer than we are. Not to mention his reputation."

Nodding, Clark said, "I’m sure about everything, Lana, especially Lex. I know he’s older and richer, but Lex doesn’t wear the face he shows the outside world when he’s with me. When Lex is with me, he’s different, somehow, more himself. Just Lex. Not Lex Luthor, Multibillionaire."

Standing up, Lana rubbed her hand up and down Clark’s arm. "Be careful, Clark. You may be incredibly strong, but I think there may still be ways to hurt you.."

Nodding, Clark chose that moment to look up. Noticing the stillness of the cellar doors, Clark stepped forward and unlocked the small portal. Lifting the right door, Clark looked out over his parent’s farm, destroyed by the storm. Looking over at the house and barn, Clark breathed a sigh of relief at seeing the house and barn left, for the most part, intact.

Opening the left hand door, Lana squinted as her eyes sought sanctuary from the sun. Lifting a hand, Lana looked down at the road and saw Clark’s parents pulling up. Looking up at Clark, Lana saw the fear on his face. Frowning, Lana said firmly, "Clark, don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone that I know, not even them, until you tell me it’s okay."

Smiling, Clark nodded and said, "Thanks, Lana."

--<{()}>--

Two Hours Later

Metropolis General Hospital

The ambulance ride wasn’t so bad. Even dealing with all the nurses hadn’t been too much of a strain. Now, the helicopter ride from Smallville Community hospital was something entirely different. Riding in the cockpit, the pilot tried to get Lex to sign an autograph for his kids as he flew them back to Metropolis. The man seemed totally unaware that Lex’s Father was behind them, strapped to a stretcher. Snatching the offered pen and paper, Lex offered, "Here, let’s do this. You act like a well-paid government employee and I’ll make personalized autographs for your three little girls."

Smiling the pilot took off, raising the noisy craft into the air. An hour later, they landed on the helipad at Metropolis General Hospital. In a flurry of movement, a paramedic team surrounded the craft. Pulling Lionel from the back, the hospital staff carried their patient into the hospital. Left alone on the cold helipad, Lex jumped from the helicopter, thankful for the feel of anything solid under his feet. Turning back, Lex was true to his word. With a cold stare, but a simple smile, Lex handed the pilot the promised autographs. With a two-finger salute, the helicopter pilot smiled widely as he took off, bound for Smallville.

After the helicopter was gone, Lex rushed into the hospital. Finding the nearest nurse, Lex asked for his Father’s status. Lex was led to a private room where he was told to watch some TV, read a magazine and in general stay out of the nurse’s way until someone could come and give Lex an update on Lionel’s condition.

An hour later, a doctor dressed in green scrubs entered the room. Silently, the doctor crossed over to where Lex was sitting on one of the room’s two small loveseats. The doctor sat down on the coffee table in front of Lex. Leaning forward, the young-looking doctor said, "Mr. Luthor, your Father is currently being transferred to the ICU. He lost a great deal of blood and injuries were sustained to his lower back and pelvis. We hope to have him out of the ICU within the next three days, but we’re looking at a long road. We expect it to take up to several weeks for him to recover from the blood loss alone. Once stable, he will need to start physical therapy."

Looking at the doctor, Lex placed his left ankle on his right knee. Then, Lex leaned over his legs, his arms draped over his left leg. "Doctor, you know who my Father is, don’t you?"

Nodding, the doctor replied, "Yes, of course."

"Then, spare no expense in the course of his treatment," said Lex.

Unfolding his limbs, Lex stood up. Buttoning his jacket, Lex continued, "I’m leaving now. I’ll be around as will a number of my Father’s subordinates from LuthorCorp. I’ll have my secretary, Sheila, fax you a copy of the approved list tomorrow."

Stepping away from the loveseat, Lex crossed the room and opened the door. Turning back, Lex ordered, "Call me immediately if there is any change in my Father’s condition. Good or bad."

Lex stayed long enough to watch the doctor nod. Stepping out into the hallway, Lex pulled the door shut behind him. Walking down the corridors, Lex found the exit quickly and rushed out to the street. Flagging a taxi, Lex ordered the cabbie to take him to Luthor Towers. As he sat back in his seat, Lex practiced the speech he would make to the Board of Directors.

CHAPTER SEVEN: The Road Good Intentions Paved


Look at this man, so blessed with inspiration,
Look at this soul, still searching for salvation.
- "Don't Know Much" performed by Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville


Last Day Of The School Year, May 13, 2002
Smallville High School

"Temporary Labor Needed - All Shifts Available," proclaimed the bulletin. Stapled to the community board next to the counselor's office, the bright green notice stood out from the other, mostly handwritten advertisements for field hands.

Every few minutes, a pack of students would pause and look at the board's few offerings. Like every year before, mostly farm work was offered, so the notice from KRYco made quite an impression. More than one student pulled out their notebook and a pen to take down the human resources phone number before heading into the counselor's office to retrieve a work permit. Among those who eagerly considered the possibility was Clark Kent.

"I thought you were staying on the farm, Clark," mentioned Pete as he watched Clark scribble KRYco's phone number down.

Closing his notebook, Clark shoved the binder into his backpack. Taking a few steps to the right, Clark pushed open the already ajar door to the counselor's office. Looking back at Pete as he entered the office, Clark said, "I am, but that sign says there are positions available in every shift. I could work at the farm during the day and work at KRYco in the evening."

Twisting his face into a grimace, Pete asked, "Damn Clark, when are you going to sleep?"

"I'll manage. Besides, my parents could use the extra money, right now," answered Clark.

Frowning deeply, Pete offered, "Well, I guess."

Their trip into the counselor's office was brief. Miss Wilson apparently had expected a big response to KRYco's ad because she had a high stack of avocado green permits resting on the corner of her desk. The moment Clark came into view, she asked, "Can I help you?"

Smiling shyly, Clark answered her question with a question. "Do you have any work permits?"

With a wide, knowing smile, Miss Wilson pointed at the stack and answered, "Right there. Help yourself."

"Thank you, Miss Wilson," replied Clark as he grabbed the slip, tucking it into his front backpack compartment.

Quickly, they left. A couple feet outside the door, Pete and Clark stopped in their tracks at the sound of their names being shouted from the other end of the long hallway. Turning toward the din, they were graced by the sight of Chloe and Justin rushing up to meet them. In their arms, Chloe and Justin clutched thick bundles of thin newspapers.

Shining brightly, Chloe handed a copy of the Torch to both Pete and Clark as soon as she was within arms-length. "Hello, Gentlemen. Here's the last issue of the Torch for the school year."

Taking the offered papers, Clark and Pete proceeded to follow Justin and Chloe down the hall to the wire rack paper stand next to the front doors of the school. As Justin and Chloe loaded the bundles into the wire rack, Pete and Clark read through the final issue.

Shaking his head, Clark mentioned absently, "Has it been a year already?"

Nodding, Justin rubbed his forearms against his shirt in a vain attempt to remove newsprint from his mobile casts. "I know exactly what you mean, Clark. It seems like yesterday I was still in traction."

Quickly, Chloe wrapped her arms around Justin. Resting her head on his right shoulder, Chloe placed her right hand on Justin's chest as her left arm wound around Justin's back. Sliding his arm across Chloe's shoulders, Justin pulled her closer as Pete read the headline from the back page.

"Summer Vacation: The student body of Smallville High shares their plans."

Standing beside Pete, Clark skimmed the responses quickly before saying, "Wow, I guess a lot of people are going to be working for KRYco."

Nodding, but not picking her head up off of Justin's shoulder, Chloe remarked, "Yeah, it'll give LuthorCorp a run for its money where Human capital is concerned. My Father told me he's worried they might lose some permanent staff to the KRYco plant once it officially opens."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark continued to skim the responses as he mused, 'I wonder how Lex is handling that?'

"Hey everybody," called Lana, a little too cheerfully, as she walked up to the group.

In a broken chorus, Clark, Justin Pete and Chloe answered, "Hey Lana."

Rubbing her hands together, Lana stared intensely at each member of the group. "For my good friends, I have a proposition: Free drinks at the Talon. Want to come?"

Nodding eagerly, Pete answered, "Yeah, you bet."

Squinting her eyes, Chloe stood up straight with her arms crossed over her chest, distancing herself from everyone around her, including Justin, as she asked, "What's the catch?"

At the same time, Clark and Justin turned toward Chloe and exclaimed, "Chloe!"

Putting her hands up, Lana confessed, "No. Don't get mad at Chloe. She's right. There is a catch. I'm kinda short staffed. Two of my waitresses quit on me, last night. It appears they only worked long enough to pay off their Spring Formal gowns. So basically, I'm in need of manpower. Please, you guys, help me out. I'm really, really desperate."

Smirking, Chloe looked up and down at the sight of Lana Lang standing before her, hands folded as if in prayer. Shifting her weight onto her right leg, Chloe asked, "Speaking of the Spring Formal, what happened to you and Clark? You never showed."

The smile drained from Clark's face. In silence, Clark searched for a quick response, but found himself at a loss.

Beside him, Lana went ashen pale, but found her voice, "Uhh. The winds picked up so much that they slammed the front doors shut. By the time I got here, we were locked out."

Letting out a loud laugh, Pete joked, "Damn, Clark, you have got to have the worst luck of anyone in the world."

Tapping her fingers on the soft flesh of her upper arms, Chloe asked, "But, if you were locked out, where did you go?"

Quickly, Lana replied, "When we couldn't get the door open, we just went to the Talon and went down into the cellar."

Squinting harshly, almost not showing her eyes at all, Chloe mentioned, "But, I heard Whitney's truck was found on its side off of Route 90."

Playing with her fingers, Lana voice became a whisper as she stared at the ground. "I don't know. I guess a twister picked it up."

To the left of Chloe, Justin took in the exchange, noting curiously the way Lana tugged at her fingertips, twisting them viciously. Stepping forward, Justin wrapped his arm around Chloe's shoulders, gripping her shoulder as tightly as he could. "Well, I guess for modesty's sake, we'll stop the questioning there. I think my imagination is perfectly capable of conjuring up what you all did while alone in a small, dimly lit room."

Taking a deep breath, Chloe opened her mouth to ask another question. The question died on her lips as Justin leaned over and kissed her soundly. Pulling away, Chloe moved to protest when Justin smiled at her and said, "Come on, honey. Leave 'em alone. You wouldn't want anyone asking about what we did after getting out of the storm shelter."

Blushing bright red, Chloe ducked her head and whispered, "No, I guess not."

Glancing over at Clark, Justin winked. In response, Clark nodded subtly and smiled.

Shifting back and forth between Justin and Clark, Lana couldn't help but feel a rush of suspicion as she spread her hands wide and asked, "So, what do you guys say?"

Recovering from her embarrassment, Chloe said, "Well, seeing how I kinda owe you big, right now, for the whole visions saving my life thing. You can count on me. Just give me plenty of Clark's Mom's apple pie and I'll be your happy slave."

"You've got yourself a deal. I bought extra pies from Mrs. Kent just in case," answered Lana.

From Chloe's left, Justin chimed in. "Where Chloe goes, I follow." Lifting his hands up, Justin twisted them one way then the other as he continued, "I don't know how much good I am with these, but I'm willing to help."

With concern, Lana inquired, "Can you write easily enough?"

Slumping his shoulders, Justin pounded a loose fist against his chest as he replied, "Yes, me Justin can write. Can read good, too."

Fluttering her fingers up to her mouth, Lana gasped, "Come on. I didn't mean it that way. I just meant you could do phone orders while I play hostess."

Looking down, Justin curled his pouted lips into a crooked smirk. "Sorry, Lana, I have a tendency to revert to bad comedy. I'd be honored to do your phone orders."

Shaking her head, Lana said, "Well, thank you. That really helps. I won't be stuck in the office all night."

Furrowing his brow, Clark asked, "Do you expect a lot of people?"

"Yes. Very much so. It's the last day of school." Walking over to the news rack, Lana picked up a copy of the Torch and opened it to page three. Pressing a finger to the right corner of the page, Lana pointed out a 6x9 advertisement offering buy one, get one free on all coffee and twenty percent off all food, so long as you brought in the ad on the last day of school.

Once everyone was looking at the coupon, Lana continued, "It was a ploy to get people to think of the Talon during the summer."

Nodding, Clark said, "Oh, good idea."

Glancing at Clark, Lana answered, "Yeah, Lex thought so, too. Problem is I need staff and a lot of it. Instead, I had two available waitresses and now I've got none. Before, I was going to be a little short staffed. Now, I'm just overwhelmed."

Well, you can count on me, Lana," said Clark.

Smiling widely, Lana looked directly into Clark's eyes as she replied, "Thank you, Clark."

One by one, everyone in the group turned and looked at Pete. With his arms crossed, Pete reluctantly agreed. "Okay, I'll do it, but I'm not wearing an apron."

Nodding sharply, Lana extended her right hand toward Pete. "Deal."

Just as Pete and Lana's hands touched, the first bell sounded. The loud ringing sent the student body into a mad scramble to get to homeroom. As Lana turned to run for class, she yelled over her shoulder, "Meet me at the Talon after school."

--<{()}>--

A Couple Hours After School
Talon Café

Every table was filled. Practically all the dishes were being used. Luckily, Lana's kitchen staff showed up and worked vigorously at cleaning sink full after sink full of coffee mugs and pie plates. In the back office, Justin sat, taking down pick-up orders. In the front, Lana circulated through the throng of customers and delivered the occasional order when needed. The coupon coup was a great success so Pete, Chloe and Clark found little time to sit as they rushed from the kitchen bar to the waiting tables.

Walking onto this frantic stage, Lex entered the Talon and smiled at the sight of it. Looking around at all the paying customers, Lex did a double take at the sight of Clark standing in front of a group, taking down orders. Biding his time, Lex waited until Clark excused himself from the table before approaching him. Quietly, Lex walked up behind Clark and whispered into Clark's right ear, "I hope this isn't your idea of upward mobility."

Turning around suddenly, Clark looked at Lex curiously as he answered, "Huh?"

Stepping closer, Lex explained, "The waiter gig only pays well in New York, D.C., Boston and L.A. Every where else it's a dead end that's strictly commission based."

Looking down at his order pad and the apron tied securely around his waist, Clark replied, "Actually, I'm just helping out. Lana was short-staffed, so I agreed to lend a hand."

Bringing his left hand up to stroke his jaw, Lex said, "So, it's so much worse than I thought. You're working for free."

At the sight of Clark's nodding head, Lex leaned in towards Clark and whispered, "Clark, never work for free. Understand?"

Scrunching up his face, Clark asked, "What's the big deal?"

Sighing loudly, Lex rolled his eyes as he explained, "The big deal is your time should be worth more than nothing."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Clark stated, "Lana is my friend and she needed me. By doing this - I make her happy. That's payment, enough."

Shaking his head, Lex mused, 'You really are too good to be true.' Shaking free of his mental ramblings, Lex asked, "So, are there any free tables?"

Looking around, Clark answered, "I don't think so, but give me a minute, maybe I can find someone who's just waiting for their check."

Placing a hand on Clark's chest, Lex shook his head. "Don't. Far be it from me to take away a table from a paying customer whose money is going in my pocket."

Letting his fingers drift to Clark's shoulder, Lex asked, "Are you staying until the place closes?"

Lana chose that moment to crash the party. Walking up from behind Clark, Lana asked sharply, "Clark, have you taken those orders to the front, yet?"

Glancing at his order pad, Clark stared guiltily at Lana. "Sorry, I'm right on it."

Nodding at Lex, Clark rushed off to the kitchen bar with his order. Simultaneously, Lex and Lana followed Clark's departing form. Shaking free of their reverie, Lana looked at Lex and inquired, "Lex, what brings you here?"

Looking down at Lana's narrow brown eyes, Lex answered calmly, "Just checking to see how our little experiment is working."

Looking around happily, Lana replied, "From what I can see it's a great success."

Nodding, Lex remarked, "Yes. Well. Let's see if any of them come back tomorrow."

Pausing for a second, Lex noted the way Lana just nodded and surveyed the tables. Impressed by her lack of offense, Lex observed, "I must say, Lana, I am impressed by your ingenuity."

Squinting, Lana said, "I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Lex."

Looking out over the café, Lex watched Chloe walk by with a platter of empty coffee mugs and pie plates. Lex watched Clark head out from the kitchen bar, balancing a tray full of steaming cups. Keeping his eyes on Clark's approaching form, Lex answered just as Clark came within earshot, "I mean the enlistment of your friends as free labor. I'm really impressed, Miss Lang."

Stopping in mid-step, Clark looked over at Lex and said, "I thought you just told me that working for free is a bad thing."

Smirking, Lex answered, "For you, it is. As your friend, I'm looking out for your best interests. As the primary investor in this business, I'm also looking out for my best interests. Speaking of which, you should deliver those before they get cold.

Glancing down at the tray, Clark nodded. "Right on it, boss."

Again, Lex and Lana watched Clark's retreating figure. Breaking away from the sight, Lex turned to Lana and said, "Free labor helps secure larger profits, but don't do it again. You'll have the Labor Board breathing down your throat, in a second, if you do."

Flustered, Lana's cheeks burned red. "Sorry, Lex, I didn't know about that. Besides, the only other option would have been to shut down the Talon and that would have been horrible."

Staring in Lana's eyes intensely, Lex disagreed, "It's not the only option. You have this problem again - Call me. I'll have Sheila call in temp workers or, if necessary, I'll assign workers from my office. Understand?"

Nodding, Lana answered, "Of course. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, just know better, next time," Lex responded.

Soon, Lex and Lana became aware of the six foot one shadow falling over them. Looking at Lana's right, they saw Clark, fumbling with his empty tray. Once Clark knew he had their attention, Clark turned to Lana and said, "Lana, table six is asking for the manager."

Sighing loudly, Lana asked, "What happened?"

Shrugging, Clark answered. "Don't know. It's Pete's table."

Glancing around, Lana asked, "Where's Pete?"

Shaking his head, Clark replied, "I don't know."

Walking by, flinging her empty tray about, Chloe inquired, "Did you just ask about Pete?"

"Yes, do you know where he is?" replied Lana.

Playing absently with her tray, Chloe answered, "He told me he was going on a break. Of course, that was over half an hour ago."

"Of course," said Lana, sighing loudly again. Looking at Lex, Lana excused herself. "I really need to see to this."

Nodding, Lex replied, "Of course."

Once Lana left, Chloe stepped forward, running her fingers over the edge of her tray. "So, Mr. Luthor. I hear your Father was seriously injured by the twisters that fell a few days ago."

Narrowing his eyes, Lex stared at Chloe's smug expression. "Miss Sullivan, you must have incredible sources. Even the Daily Planet hasn't caught wind of that story yet.

Standing a bit straighter, Chloe smirked. "Well, I do have really good sources."

Beside Chloe, Clark reached out and placed a hand on Lex's arm. "Lex? Are you okay? Is your father alright?"

Smiling at Clark's sincere concern, Lex replied, "I'm fine. Thank you for asking, Clark."

Glancing at Chloe, Lex inquired, "Are we off the record?"

Pausing, Chloe almost answered in the negative, but a look at Clark's pleading face made Chloe reconsider. "Sure."

Running his eyes over Chloe, Lex stood silently for a second before speaking. "To answer your question, Clark - No, my Father is not alright. He's partially paralyzed. They don't know if he'll ever have full mobility again."

Sadly, Clark watched Lex. "I'm sorry to hear that, Lex."

Shrugging, Lex chose his words carefully. "In reality, my Father's infirmity couldn't have come at a better time. Now I wield his shares of LuthorCorp stock and I have taken over his position as head of the Board of Directors. The situation has made possible certain opportunities that previously seemed unattainable."

Crossing her arms over her chest, Chloe asked, "What do you mean by opportunities?"

Smirking cruelly, Lex answered, "Careful, Miss Sullivan, this is supposed to be off the record."

For a second, Chloe searched for a suitable response. Finding none, Chloe resorted to stomping away in a huff. Watching Chloe's angry form depart, Clark observed, "She does that a lot around you."

Shrugging, Lex offered, "I have that affect on reporters."

Turning back to Lex, Clark's expression softened. "I am sorry about your Dad."

Looking at Clark, Lex let the cruelty fade from his face. "Thanks, Clark. He and I have never been very close, but it's one thing to have a bad relationship with one's Father, it's quite another to have no chance at ever reaching an understanding with the man."

Reaching out, Clark rubbed Lex's shoulder soothingly. In response, Lex placed his right hand over Clark's hand and smiled. "It's okay, Clark. Anyway, before we were so rudely interrupted, I was wondering if you were staying until the Talon closes."

Nodding, Clark replied, "That's the plan."

"How are you getting home?" inquired Lex.

Shrugging, Clark said, "Walking, I guess, or maybe catch a ride w/Chloe and Justin."

Shaking his head, Lex stated, "No. The Talon closes at nine o'clock. I'll be here fifteen minutes after that. Understand?"

Smiling, Clark said, "You don't need to go through any trouble for me, Lex."

Returning Clark's smile, Lex answered matter-of-factly, "Well, I know that, Clark."

Pulling his hand off Lex's shoulder, Clark let his fingertips glide over Lex's arm. "Okay, I'd really like that."

'Cute move, Kent,' thought Lex as his smile widened. "Good, I'll see you then."

Turning toward the exit, Lex left without a goodbye. After the door closed behind him, Clark exhaled loudly and spun around, heading for the kitchen bar.

On the far side of the bar, Chloe was mixing a mocha cappuccino. Looking up, Chloe smiled at Clark when he reached the bar. Suddenly, to Clark and Chloe's surprise, Lana approached them with fury. Her every movement punctuated by anger, Lana walked up to the bar and waved at Clark to come closer. "Clark, can you get table six a round of Mocha Lattes on the house. Oh, and give them all slices of your Mother's pie while you're at it."

Staring at Lana's tense figure, Chloe and Clark exchanged a glance. Stepping forward, Clark asked, "Is everything okay?"

Snapping back with her response, Lana replied, "No, Clark, everything is not okay. I am so going to kill Pete when I get my hands on him."

Pulling Lana to the side, Clark whispered, "What happened?"

Trying to calm down, Lana explained, "Table six is full of football players. They say Pete threw a mug at one of them. Luckily, it was an iced cappuccino, or this would be so much worse, right now."

Glancing in the direction of table six, Clark said, "I know those guys, Lana. They're jerks. They must have said something to Pete to make him do something like that."

Shaking her head, Lana protested, "No, Clark, don't defend him. What Pete did was unacceptable. You would never do something like that no matter what anybody said."

Leaning toward Lana, Clark whispered so only she could hear, "Well, I have the satisfaction of knowing I could kick any of their butts anytime I wanted, but choose not to."

Staring dreamily in Clark's eyes, Lana smiled. "Well, I guess that can help one's self esteem, huh?"

Shrugging, Clark replied, "Maybe, most of the time though, it just leaves me frustrated."

Turning back to the bar, Clark found Chloe had filled his order. Taking the tray full of mugs and pie off the counter, Clark left for table six. As Clark departed, Lana couldn't stop staring at his retreating form. Sighing loudly, Lana remarked, "Trust me, Clark, I know all about frustration."

Lana didn't realize she'd said it out loud until Chloe passed her on the right side. As Chloe balanced a tray full of assorted caffeinated beverages, she whispered into Lana's ear, "Beware, that way lies madness."

Blushing red at Chloe's words, Lana retreated into the back office. As she opened the door, Lana saw Justin hunched over the desk, talking on the phone. A couple feet away from him, a pen hovered over an order pad. From the doorway, Lana overheard Justin talking. "Okay, so that's one café mocha, two decaf cappuccinos and three slices of apple pie. Yeah, it is made by Mrs. Kent. Actually, people have been ordering that all night. Let me check if there's still some available."

Looking up, Justin saw Lana standing in the doorway. He saw how her eyes were riveted on the pen that had written the order on the pad. With a shaky voice, Justin asked, "Lana?"

As Lana brought her wide-eyed gaze to bear on him, Justin freaked. All around the room, bric-a-brac flew off of shelves and desks, smashing on the floor. Closing his eyes, Justin sat very still for a second before the items stopped flying. When he opened his eyes again, Lana stood right in front of him.

Leaning over, Lana opened the top drawer of her desk. Standing back up again, Lana flashed some blank gift certificates at Justin. Closing the drawer softly, Lana smiled at Justin and said, "There are two whole pies left. Thanks for doing such a good job, Justin."

Nodding shakily, Justin answered, "Thanks, Lana."

Turning away, Lana walked to the door. Pausing to pull the door shut behind her, Lana looked back at Justin's shock filled expression. With a smile, Lana winked at Justin before closing the door.

--<{()}>--

9:15 p.m.
Talon Café

"Can you still feel your feet?" inquired Lex as Clark slid into the passenger seat.

Pulling the door shut, Clark narrowed his eyes curiously. "I feel fine. Why would my feet hurt?"

Staring at Clark, Lex said, "Are you serious? You have been standing the whole time, right?"

Shrugging, Clark answered, "Yeah, and?"

"How can your feet not feel like lead weights?" asked Lex.

'Oh, feet are supposed to hurt. I get it,' realized Clark. Thinking quickly, Clark said, "Well, I'm on my feet all day on the farm. Maybe, I'm just used to it."

"More beneficial effects of the incredible farm boy workout, hmm? I'm telling you, Clark, we should market this thing. It could make us a fortune," quipped Lex.

Rolling his eyes, Clark shook his head slightly at Lex's joke. Smiling widely, Lex turned the key, bringing the engine to life. Pulling out onto the road, Lex glanced over at Clark and asked, "What are your plans for the summer, Clark?"

Hugging his backpack, Clark replied, "Well, help my parents on the farm and I'm thinking of working for KRYco."

Curling back his lips as if from a bad taste, Lex inquired, "Doing what? Clearing meteor rock?"

A visible shudder ran through Clark. "No. Their ad said they had construction jobs available, too."

Taking in Clark's shaking fingers, Lex asked, "What are they offering in the way of pay?"

"$8.00 per hour for unskilled labor," answered Clark.

Shaking his head, Lex kept his eyes on the road as he pulled onto Route 90. "I'll offer you $8.50 an hour to work as a pencil pusher for my office."

Shocked, Clark asked, "Why would you do that?"

Glancing at Clark, Lex lifted his foot a little from the accelerator. Slowing down from sixty miles per hour to fifty, Lex looked past the windshield to the dark, lonely road. "Because Clark, it concerns me that you do not know your own worth."

A little offended, Clark ducked his head a bit and stared up at Lex's profile. "Excuse me?"

Looking over at Clark's intense eyes, Lex replied, "You're a bright, mature young man who is capable of much more than hard labor."

Shrugging, Clark couldn't help but feel his chin set rigidly. As Lex's voice borrowed a distaste filled accent at the words "hard labor," Clark's anger grew. All his life he'd been the poor kid whose friends were the children of judges, doctors and plant managers. All his life, Clark watched his Father work far too hard for far too little money in return, but his Father had instilled pride in Clark - The kind of pride to which you have to be poor to cling. Yes, Jonathon Kent had endowed Clark with the desperate pride of the workingman that is never in short supply, mainly because it's free.

Trying to let the rush of righteous indignation ebb a bit, Clark carefully said, "It's honest work."

Tossing his head to the left, Lex conceded the point. "Yes, it is, but it's not for you."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark asked, "Why is that?"

Tapping his fingers on his steering wheel, Lex explained, "Clark, believe me, you are not meant for menial labor or mindless work. You are destined for greater things. I truly believe you are going to make the world a better place, someday. I don't know how, but I do know it doesn't involve unskilled labor."

Clark couldn't suppress the need to laugh at Lex's last comment. Smiling again, Clark said, "You know what? Now, you sound like my Dad."

"God, forbid." Glancing at Clark, Lex couldn't suppress a look of horror.

Laughing, Clark stated, "Y'know, he really doesn't hate you."

Looking at the Kent Barn as they pulled up the drive, Lex retorted, "Keep saying that, Clark. You may actually believe it, someday."

Stopping in front of the house, Lex let the engine idle. Not too quickly, Clark unlocked the door, moving to exit the vehicle. As his right foot touched dark earth and his body pushed off from the seat, Clark felt Lex's hand on his arm. Looking back, Clark gazed down at Lex. Stretched across Clark's mostly vacant seat, Lex asked, "So, what do you say about that job?"

"I'll think about it," answered Clark.

Nodding, Lex let go of Clark's arm. Shifting in his seat, Lex waited until Clark closed the car door. A second later, Lex tore out of the driveway, speeding toward the Castle.

Standing still, Clark watched Lex car disappear down the road. Once the car vanished from view, Clark turned slowly and walked up to the front door. Sighing loudly, Clark opened the door. Once inside, Clark kept his back to the door as he closed it with a quiet click.

Standing in front of the door was a rigid Jonathon Kent. His expression was grim and his crossed arms were clenched high. At the sight of him, Clark inhaled sharply, prepared for the fight.

"Was that Luthor's car I saw?" asked Jonathon.

"Yeah, Dad," whispered Clark.

"I don't like you hanging out with him, Clark," stated Jonathon in a no nonsense voice.

Sighing loudly, Clark ran his right hand through his hair. "I know, Dad. Look, I'm tired. Can I just go to bed this once without the 'Luthor's are bad' lecture?"

Nodding, Jonathon let his son pass by him. As Clark started up the stairs, Jonathon Kent called out from behind him, "This isn't over, Clark."

Clark never looked back. He just nodded and kept going upstairs.

--<{()}>--

May 14, 2002
Kent Farm

One could practically taste the smells in the air. The scent of Pancakes, bacon and sausages wafted through the walls and up into the second story of the Kent family home. There, in a room across the hall from his parents, Clark laid on his back and breathed in the wonderful aroma. Smiling against his will, Clark considered his life and thought 'Things aren't so bad.'

At that moment, the sun broke over the horizon. The room once blanketed in darkness now filled with a heavenly blue-gray glow. Stretching, Clark sat up as his Mother's voice cut through the peaceful morning. "Clark! It's time for breakfast. Come on. Get up."

Using super speed, Clark showered, dressed and ran down the hall. Coming to a quick stop at the top of the stairs, Clark walked down the stairs at a Human speed. Walking into the kitchen, Clark passed Jonathon. Holding a thermos of coffee, Jonathon stared at his son with tired eyes. Hitching his head back an inch, Jonathon acknowledged Clark's presence as he passed him. Instantly, Clark nodded back. Silently, Clark watched his father leave, heading for work.

"Clark."

Turning around, Clark saw his Mother's worried face. Looking up from her chopping block, Martha flinched a little at the slammed front door. Darting her eyes back and forth from the door to Clark, Martha said, "So, I heard Lex drove you home, last night."

Nodding, Clark walked into the kitchen. Standing beside Martha, Clark stated, "Dad told you."

"Yeah, many times," replied Martha. Turning back to her cutting board, Martha finished chopping an apple.

"Mom, can I ask you a question?" asked Clark, the slightest crack in his voice.

"Of course, Clark." Placing the knife down, Martha picked up a towel. Turning around, Martha leaned against the counter as she dried her hands. "What is it?"

Ducking his head a bit, Clark said, "Umm. Last night, Lex offered me a job doing some office work. It pays decently well and I was thinking it seems like a good way to bring in some extra cash."

Concern slowly crossed Martha's face until it filled every line. "Clark, I don't want you worrying about our finances."

Looking Martha directly in the eyes, Clark replied, "Mom, I'm not a little kid anymore. I see how things are, especially since the herd died. Even with the insurance check, you and Dad are struggling."

Placing a hand on Clark's shoulder, Martha seemed momentarily surprised at how high it was. Sadness filled her eyes as she reminded, "Clark, we need you here on the farm. Any money you brought in would only go to hire farm hands to replace you."

"I could do all my chores before I leave and if anything unexpected should come up, then I could do it when I get home," replied Clark.

Looking away from Clark's bright blue eyes, Martha whispered, "Clark, I don't think your Father would appreciate you working for Lex."

Looking at Martha's bowed head, Clark said, "Mom, you know that Lex isn't a bad guy."

Looking back up, Martha eyes dawned with recognition for a moment. The next second, her eyes were just weary. "I know, Clark. Listen, I'll present this carefully to your father, okay?"

Smiling widely, Clark replied, "Thanks, Mom."

Reaching out, Clark swooped Martha up in a tight embrace. Her feet dangling off the ground, Martha threw her arms around her son and held on for a minute more. Once Clark carefully placed her back on the floor, Martha turned and pulled a small bundle of envelopes out of the drawer under the counter.

Turning back to Clark, Martha handed the bundle over to Clark. "Here are the invitations."

Glancing over at the kitchen door, Martha searched for any trace of Jonathon before sliding the bottom card out. Tapping the envelope with her index finger, Martha revealed, "I made this one especially for Lex. Make sure you tell him that."

Smiling widely, Clark had a laugh in his voice as he said, "He'll be glad to hear that."

Smiling back, Martha let a similar ripple of laughter fill her voice. "Well, I get the feeling he's suffered a lot from not having someone around to mother him."

The smile drained almost completely from Clark's face. "I get that feeling sometimes, too. Sometimes, I think he's very lonely."

Placing an arm around Clark's waist, Martha hugged her son. Feeling Clark's arm squeeze around her shoulders, Martha patted Clark's chest. Looking up, Martha assured, "Well, between the two of us, we should be able to take care of all that."

--<{()}>--

Four Hours Later
Luthor Castle

Without announcement, Clark entered Lex's office. Behind him, Clark could hear Sheila's protests, but waved her off. In front of him, Clark could see Lex standing behind his desk, packing a large briefcase. Looking around, Clark noted all the construction scaffolds and temporary roof supports, not to mention the din of hammers, drills and buzz saws. As Clark crossed the room, Lex looked up.

Smiling widely, Lex asked, "Clark, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Pulling an invitation from his jacket pocket, Clark replied, "I came by to give this to you. My Mom made it especially for you."

'Did she?' thought Lex as he took the envelope and tore open the dark blue paper. Sliding the card out, Lex flipped the card open and read aloud, "Hope to see you there. Remember to bring an appetite with you this time."

Laughing quietly, Lex placed the invitation back into the envelope. Looking over at Clark, Lex remarked, "You Mother is entirely too good to me."

Shrugging, Clark replied, "She likes you."

Nodding, Lex placed the envelope in the top drawer of his desk. "I know. That's what's so amazing."

Looking back at Clark, Lex narrowed his eyes and asked, "June 21st, 2002. Sweet sixteen, huh?"

Looking down at his shoes, Clark blushed. "Yeah. Y'know, I've been told one gets to ask whatever they want on their 16th birthday.

Smugly, Lex asked, "Do you have your questions prepared, already?"

Looking into Lex's eyes, Clark answered, "It's just one question, really."

A sincere smile filled Lex's face, stretching across his cheeks and rising up into his eyes. "I can't wait to hear it."

Squinting, Clark gave Lex a curious look. "Are you sure about that because I could ask it now."

Shaking his head, Lex refused the offer. "No. The anticipation makes me want to hear it all the more."

Changing tracks easily, Lex asked, "So, have you given any thought to my proposal?"

Shrugging, Clark answered, "Yeah, I have. I'd really like to have this job, but I don't know if my Dad will go for it. Which is a problem because both of my parents have to sign the work permit. But, thankfully, my Mom is helping me with that."

Lex moved to speak, but was cut off by a particularly loud hammer. Biting his lip, Lex returned to his briefcase. Picking up a few more folders and sliding them easily into the correct slots, Lex waited out the noise. Finally, the insistent banging ceased. After pausing for a second, Lex said, "Hopefully, that'll be completed by the time I get back. I have business in Metropolis for the next couple of weeks, but don't worry I'll be back in plenty of time for your birthday party."

"Two weeks?" asked Clark.

Looking up, Lex felt a deep sinking in the pit of his stomach. In Clark's eyes, Lex saw someone who'd be waiting for him to return. 'You're better than I deserve.' Shaking free of his inner musings, Lex replied, "Can't be avoided, I'm afraid."

Snapping his briefcase shut, Lex grabbed onto the handle and slid it off the table. Swayed by the weight of it, Lex bent slightly to the right. "You can tell me your answer when I get back, okay?"

Nodding slowly, Clark shifted from one foot to the other. "Okay. Goodbye, Lex."

Pausing to smile at Clark, Lex said, "Goodbye, Clark."

--<{()}>--

Twenty Minutes Later
Kent Farm

Strong and sound came the knocks on the Kent's front door. With a squeak of a hinge and the creak of old wood, the door opened in response. Upon seeing his visitor, Jonathon Kent let out a barely shrouded groan at the sight of Lex Luthor standing on his front steps.

"Clark's not here," growled Jonathon, moving quickly to close the door in Lex's face.

Pressing a hand squarely against the wood, Lex kept Jonathon from closing the door. "Actually, I'm here to speak with you, Mr. Kent."

Pulling the door open a little bit, Jonathon glared at Lex. "What do you want?"

"I want to talk about Clark's future," replied Lex.

Jonathon moved to shut the door again. "That's my concern, not yours."

Pushing harder against the door, Lex said, "Mr. Kent I have offered your son a position at LuthorCorp for the summer, but he won't accept it until you give the green light."

Smiling cruelly, Jonathon laughed, "That's not likely to happen."

Pulling the door open all the way, Jonathon explained, "Look, I don't like you. I don't like you hanging out with my son. I'm certainly not going to encourage Clark to see even more of you."

Now that the door seemed to be safely open, Lex slid his hands into his jacket pockets. "I know your opinion of me, but this isn't about you and me. It's about Clark. His only other option is to work for KRYco as unskilled labor."

"It's honest work," said Jonathon.

Nodding, Lex stated, "Yes, as Clark has told me, but an office position at LuthorCorp will look much better on a college application. In fact, LuthorCorp offers scholarships to its employees and their families."

Gripping the edge of the door tightly, Jonathon let out a heavy breath laced with a sharp laugh. "That's always the answer with you, isn't it? Just throw some money at it and hope it goes your way. Well, not this time, Luthor."

Cocking his head to the side, Lex inquired, "Are you really going to sacrifice Clark's future because of your dislike for my family?"

Shaking his head, Jonathon answered, "No, I'm turning you down because I don't like you."

Tipping his head back, Lex looked at Jonathon without emotion. "Mr. Kent, you're a hard-working man with principles. I can respect that, but I know that for all your hard work, you still can't afford to give simple things to your son. Do you really want that life for Clark?"

With every word from Lex's mouth, Jonathon's pride grew more and more enraged. Finally, at Lex's question, Jonathon slammed his hand against the door and said, "How dare you come onto my property and speak to me that way."

Stepping forward, Lex stood on the threshold. "I dare because I see a lot of potential in Clark. I see no reason why he couldn't leap over the tallest building in a single bound. I believe he's destined for greatness, but he's not going to find that here."

That said - Lex took a step back. Before him, Jonathon stood quietly, gripping the door with both hands. Turning, Lex walked away. Getting into his car, Lex never looked back at the still open door. Turning the key, Lex felt his engine roar to life. Pulling out of the Kent driveway, Lex hit Route 90 and turned toward Metropolis.

--<{()}>--

Later That Night
The Kent's Master Bedroom

Weary from the day, Jonathon and Martha slowly prepared for bed. Pulling off their clothes with a groan, they were quick to slip into their comfortable sleepwear. Drawing back the covers, Jonathon and Martha rested their tired bodies on the old mattress. Reaching over, Lex turned off the beside table lamp. In the darkness, he and Martha wiggled under their blankets until they met each other in the middle of the bed. Like most every other night, Jonathon laid on his back as Martha pressed her cheek against his broad chest.

Unlike most nights, Jonathon could feel the tension in Martha's shoulders. As he draped his left arm over her, Jonathon heard Martha whisper, "Jonathon?"

Rubbing Martha's back in a futile attempt to get his wife to let him go to sleep, Jonathon answered, "Hmm?"

Jonathon felt Martha rub her cheek against his chest. Sighing, Jonathon felt her jawbone pop back and forth as she spoke. "Jonathon, Clark mentioned to me earlier that he's been offered a job for the summer."

'Not you too, Martha.' Sighing loudly, Jonathon braced himself. "Is that right?"

In response, Martha nodded, pressing harder against his pectorals on each downward pass. "Clark said he's willing to work here on the farm in the morning, then work at Lex's office during the day."

'Damn that man, he's got my own wife working for him, now.' Responding to Martha's news, Jonathon said, "I see."

Gently, Martha placed a hand on Jonathon chest next to her face. "He just wants to help, Jonathon. Now, I told Clark that he doesn't need to be worrying about the bills, but he's not a child and we can't hide our problems from him with a trip to the lake anymore."

'Clark wants to help me. Feels he needs to help me." Jonathon gripped Martha's shoulder a little tighter. "I suppose."

Pushing up, Martha picked herself up off of Jonathon. Looking down at the spot from which she heard her husband's steady breathing, Martha whispered soothingly, "He's so determined, Jonathon. You should have seen him. He reminded me so much of how you are when an idea gets in your head that refuses to leave."

'Damn it. I don't want Clark to have to do this. Don't want to have to take money from my own son.' Swallowing hard, Jonathon replied in a cracked voice, "Did he?"

Though he couldn't see her, Jonathon knew Martha was nodding. He heard her take in a deep breath before she started speaking again. "Yes, he did, Jonathon. He gave me the work permit, today. I told him you and I would discuss it and I'd give it back to him, tomorrow. Signed or unsigned."

Wiggling away from Martha's warm body, Jonathon sat up. After a couple deep breaths, Jonathon reached over and turned on the beside lamp. 'Damn that man. He was right. I hate that I need Clark to do this."

Glancing over at his wife, Jonathon watched how Martha squinted against the light. In the lines of her face, Jonathon saw the passing years. In the blond strands woven throughout her red hair, Jonathon saw the beautiful woman he'd always loved. In her green eyes, Jonathon saw a hoping, a pleading.

Sighing deeply, Jonathon asked, "Where is it?"

Reaching over to her nightstand, Martha pulled the green permit, a book and a pen over quickly. "Right here."

'Damn him to hell.' Taking the pen in hand, Jonathon signed the permit and handed it back to Martha. "Here you go."

Gingerly, Martha took the paper, the book and the pen away from Jonathon and placed then on the nightstand. Turning back to her husband, Martha leaned over and gave Jonathon a long, drawn out kiss.

Pulling away, Jonathon asked, "What was that for?"

Tilting her head to the side, Martha let her hair hang down by her face, covering her shoulder. Glancing up at Jonathon, Martha sighed, "For just being you."

Smiling, Jonathon turned off the light. Soon, Jonathon and Martha were once again in the center of their bed, but like so many times before, sleep would not greet them for some time to come.

--<{()}>--

June 14, 2002
Metropolis General Hospital

Business took longer than he'd anticipated. Really, Lex expected to be back in Smallville weeks ago, but the Board of Directors refused to give him anything easily.

'They're my Father's pawns, not mine,' Lex reminded himself.

Walking through the antiseptically clean halls of Metropolis General Hospital, Lex saw the next meeting as the last one he'd need to have in Metropolis - A city that no longer held the draw it once did. Opening the door to his Father's private suite, Lex saw his Father sitting in a large armchair, watching the news. Glancing about the room from the standard hospital bed to the kitchenette against the far wall to the wall length windows that displayed a panorama view of Downtown Metropolis, Lex observed, "I see they've moved you from the ICU."

Smiling proudly, Lionel boasted, "Yes, they did and a whole day before they initially said I could."

Nodding, Lex said, "I know. I have the staff keep me up to date with your progress. I know everything that concerns you medically."

Glancing at Lex, Lionel picked up the remote control and turned off the television. "Well, let's just say I know a few things, too Lex. Like, I know about the boy."

Feigning shock, Lex asked, "What boy?"

Grinning wickedly, Lionel answered, "Clark Kent."

'Where did you hear that from?' mused Lex. Trying to look nonchalant, Lex sat down in one of the guest chairs to the left of Lionel. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Waving a hand a Lex, Lionel retorted, "Yes, you do. What is it? Does the Kent boy stare at you with puppy dog eyes and say that he sees nothing but candy hearts and sentimental old love songs in you? Don't be naïve. He's a commoner. He sees your fancy cars and fancy clothes. They must have seemed like wondrous, unattainable things to him until he noticed your interest, that is."

Sinking deeper into the cushions of the chair, Lex replied, "You don't know what you're talking about. Clark Kent has no interest in my money or your money."

Shaking his head in amusement, Lionel asked, "Does it really matter? You can't keep him. You must know that or do I have to remind you again of how the Articles of Incorporation for LuthorCorp were written."

Drumming his fingers on the arm of the chair, Lex answered, "Of course not. You've only been telling me about them since the day I was born. I just don't see how that's relevant, now."

Cocking his head arrogantly, Lionel stated, "Those articles applied to me, Lex. They will apply to you, too. Looking at my current state, you might want to consider another engagement."

Rolling his eyes, Lex replied, "What's the point? I just end up breaking them anyway."

Staring intensely at Lex's noncommittal face, Lionel reminded, "You were only two years old when my father died. He was sick for years before he finally passed."

Cutting Lionel off, Lex continued the tale, "Yes, yes, I know. You worried he'd die before you had an heir."

"Well, of course," admitted Lionel. "Without you, Lex, I would have lost my right to LuthorCorp. The same thing could happen to you."

Leaning forward, Lex turned icy green eyes on his Father. "Just why do you think you're still alive?"

Reclining slowly against the back of his armchair, Lionel whispered, "I see."

Standing up, Lex looked down at his Father and said, "Yes well, I thank you for your advice concerning Clark, but quite frankly, Clark isn't Victoria. Also, you're not likely to die anytime soon, not if your money has anything to say about it."

Looking up at his son's dead eyes, Lionel replied, "Lex, Lex, can't you see how this will end? One, the Kents will never allow it. Two, just visiting your life upon this boy will destroy the innocence you so cherish."

Standing perfectly still, Lex said through clenched teeth, "That's not true."

Sighing loudly, Lionel asserted, "Yes, Lex, it is. Tell me, don't you ever worry about what you may expose the boy to?"

Unable to find an answer, Lex just let his mind drift over the faces of all the people in the last year with whom he'd had sex. Meeting his Father's intense gaze, Lex listened as Lionel warned; "You can't protect him from the reality of you, forever."

Stepping away from his Father, Lex walked across the room. At the door, Lex paused. Looking back at his Father, Lex thought over Lionel's words before opening the door. Leaving the room, Lex carefully pulled the door closed.

Standing in the hallway, Lex felt lost. Putting one foot in front of the other by sheer force of will, Lex placed distance between himself and Lionel. After a brief elevator ride, Lex found himself on the ground floor. On the wall in front of him, Lex saw a possible solution. Following the large arrow, Lex came to the open lobby of the hospital's walk-in clinic.

Walking up to the nurse's station, Lex placed both hands, palms down on the countertop. "Your clinic is anonymous, correct?"

Shrugging, the nurse answered, "Yeah."

Leaning forward, Lex used the voice he normally reserved for the Board of Directors. "It had best be."

The nurse drew back, her mouth agape. Fumbling about for something to say, the nurse stuttered, "Yes, of course. What do you need?"

Standing up straight, Lex answered, "I need all the tests done."

Comprehension filled the Nurse's face. Pulling out a clipboard, the nurse placed a sheet on it and handed it over to Lex. "Fill out everything but, the sections asking for your personal information and signature. A number will be assigned to you. In three days you need to come back in with the number and the test results will be given to you."

Nodding, Lex took the clipboard. Standing at the counter, Lex filled out the medical history form quickly and turned it over to the nurse. The nurse scanned it for completeness before filling out a series of slips. Handing the slips to Lex, The nurse pointed Lex toward a door to the left. "Go in there and given the nurse those slips."

Nodding, Lex simply did as he was told for once in his life. Later, as a young nurse drew blood from his arm, Lex played his father's words over and over again his head. Watching his blood fill six small tubes, Lex tightened his fist, refusing to flinch from the pain. Silently, Lex swore, 'I can try to protect him. I can try.'

CHAPTER EIGHT: Blow Out Your Candles


Do we dare to cross that line,
Between your heart and mine?
Would I lose a friend,
Or, find a love that will never end?
- "What If I Said" performed by Anita Cochran and Steve Wariner


June 21, 2002
Kent Farm

Clark laid on his back, breathing calmly. A minute ago, he heard his bedroom door open. Now, he could feel the person standing beside his bed. Clark felt watched, but not concerned. Instead, he felt protected. A fluttering of fingertips on his forehead, brushing a curl out of his eyes, signaled the person's unwillingness to stand by silently any longer. Opening his eyes, Clark said, "Hey, Mom."

Smiling, Martha leaned down and kissed Clark on the forehead. "Hey birthday boy. Time to wake up and get dressed."

Stretching like a cat, Clark sat up lazily. Looking up, Clark smiled as his Mother placed her arms around him, hugging him tightly. Pulling away Martha tipped Clark's head back and sighed, "Sixteen."

Nodding, Clark said, "Yep."

"Soon, you'll be all grown up," whispered Martha.

Looking into Martha's eyes, Clark insisted, "I'm pretty grown up, now."

Shaking her head, Martha ordered, "Don't be so eager to grow up, Clark."

Slowly, Martha combed her fingers through Clark's hair. By degrees, Martha's expression shifted from melancholy to appraisal. "You should get you hair cut. I think your Father's done setting up the tables. I'll tell him to get the clippers out."

Nodding, Clark said, "Okay, Mom. I'll be right down."

Taking a moment to kiss Clark on the top of the head, Martha walked to Clark's bedroom door. Pausing in the doorway, Martha said, "Okay, I'll go lay down some newspaper."

A few minutes later, Clark came stomping down the stairs. In the middle of the living room, Clark saw the step up chair resting in the center of a blanket of newspapers. Beside the chair, Clark saw Jonathon. In his Father's hands were the only clippers that ever cut Clark's hair.

As Clark entered the living room, Jonathon looked up with a smile. "Hey sport, I hear someone needs a trim. Step up to the chair."

As he had every four to six months since he was adopted by the Kents, Clark sat on the step up chair and waited while his Father put the clippers down. A minute later, Jonathon was spreading a towel across Clark's chest. Drawing the ends of the towel together, Jonathon held the towel together with one hand as he asked, "That too tight?"

Shaking his head, Clark said, "No, it's fine."

With a clothespin, Jonathon secured the towel. Picking up a hairbrush, Jonathon started brushing Clark's hair back. Reaching for the clippers, Jonathon brought the sliding blades up to Clark's hair. Swiping the clippers across the first section, Jonathon watched with shock as the blades shattered, crumbling into tiny bits of stainless steel.

Whipping around in his seat, Clark stared in horror at the ruined clippers. Looking up at Jonathon, Clark apologized, "I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't know that would happen."

Staring at the grinding clippers, Jonathon paused long enough to turn the useless gears off before saying, "It's okay, Clark but now, I don't know what to do about your hair."

Running his fingers through his hair, Clark said, "It should be okay for today. I'll figure something out later."

Stepping to the left, Jonathon dropped the clippers into a trashcan. Shrugging, Jonathon sighed, "Well, let's clean up and go help your Mother finish setting up."

Jumping off the seat, Clark reached behind his neck and undid the clothespin. As he removed the towel, silvery bits of metal sprinkled down onto the newspaper. Watching the slivers twinkle as they fell, Clark spoke sadly. "I'll clean up in here, Dad. You go help, Mom."

Slapping Clark on the back, Jonathon replied, "Okay. See ya outside."

After Jonathon left the house, Clark drew the newspaper up and rolled it into a ball, careful not to let any metal slivers escape. Taking the bundle to the trashcan, Clark paused. Bending down, Clark picked up the broken clippers. Staring at the mangled blade guards, Clark thought, 'Why did this have to happen today?'

--<{()}>--

About An Hour Later
Route 90

"Thanks for taking time to come to Clark's party with me, Whitney," said Lana, as she drove down Route 90.

Tossing his head to the side, Whitney smiled. Running his left hand along Lana's thigh, Whitney replied, "It's no problem, Lana. I only have a couple more days left on my leave. I'm just glad to spend time with you."

Taking her right hand off of the steering wheel, Lana grabbed Whitney's hand and placed it on the bench seat. Placing her hand back on the steering wheel, Lana looked at the road stretched out before her. "I'm glad you're here, Whitney."

Soon, Lana could see the turn off that doubled as the Kent's driveway. Turning the steering wheel smoothly, Lana directed her Aunt's old Ford truck up the drive. Coming to a gentle stop, Lana quickly undid her seatbelt and opened the door. Before Whitney could reach out for a kiss or a hug, Lana was out of the car.

Sighing loudly, Whitney pulled the door latch roughly. The second his feet hit the ground, Whitney slammed the door shut, causing the truck to shake. Following Lana with his eyes, Whitney watched her grab Clark's gift bag out of the back storage compartment. Walking to the front of the car, Whitney waited for Lana and remembered the events of the night before.

Last night, Whitney recalled that they had dinner and laughed at old times. After dinner, they sprawled out on the sofa and watched television. With Lana sitting back against the sofa arm and her legs propped across his thighs, they laughed at some sitcom Whitney had never seen before. In the middle of a commercial, Whitney couldn't resist dragging Lana over by the ankles until her ass pressed against his thighs. Quickly, Whitney wrapped his arms around Lana, pulling her closer until her chest was flush with his own. Taking a hold of Lana's chin, Whitney didn't notice Lana wasn't smiling. He just noticed how soft her lips were when he kissed her.

Pulling away, Whitney kept his eyes closed as he whispered, "I love you."

The following silence made Whitney open his eyes. Before him were Lana's angry eyes. Only then, did Whitney feel the tension in her muscles. Only then, did Whitney see how Lana's hands were rolled up into small fists, pushing against him. He'd let go of her immediately after that..

Instantly, Lana sprang up. With fury fed movements, Lana pushed her feet into her shoes, snatching her keys off the coffee table as she did it. Helplessly, Whitney had watched Lana flee, never quite sure what he'd done wrong.

Pulled back to the present, Whitney felt Lana wrap her hand around his arm. Looking at her, Whitney was happy to see a wide smile spread across her face. Gently, Whitney placed his right hand over Lana's hand. Bending his arm, Whitney led Lana up the dirt road. As they walked up the drive, Lana and Whitney appeared to be the perfect, happy couple.

At the top of the drive, Clark was waiting. His parents walked up behind him and joined in the welcoming party. Although he tried not to, Clark couldn't help but gawk at Whitney's new appearance. Stepping up to Whitney, Clark moved his head from side to side looking closely at Whitney's close cut hair. Looking down into Whitney's eyes, Clark said in awe, "Wow! Whitney, I almost didn't recognize you."

Letting go of Lana's hand, Whitney ran his right hand over his stiff, blond stubble. "Yeah, I know. The jarhead look is a definite departure."

Stepping forward, Jonathon slapped Whitney on the shoulder and said, "Well, it looks good on you, Whitney."

Nodding, Whitney answered, "Thank you, sir."

"How long are you home?" asked Jonathon.

Looking Jonathon directly in the eyes, Whitney replied, "I'm afraid I only have a four day pass, sir. I go back in two days, sir."

Laughing out loud, Jonathon said, "Whitney, relax. The sir thing is unnecessary."

"Of course, sir," replied Whitney a moment before a bright red blush filled his cheeks. Smiling shyly, Whitney apologized, "Sorry, Mr. Kent. They sorta drill it into your head."

Laughing loudly, Jonathon placed a hand on Whitney's back. Pushing Whitney toward the picnic tables set up next to the house, Jonathon asked Whitney more questions about the Marines.

Looking at Lana, Martha said, "It must be nice to have Whitney back home even if it's for just a short time."

Offering a small smile, Lana replied, "Of course."

Smiling at Clark, Martha announced, "Well, I've got to check on the food so I'll see you two later."

Extending a small, metallic red gift bag toward Martha, Lana asked, "Do you have someplace I could put this?"

Taking the bag by the thin, braided handles, Martha answered, "Sure, I'll put it with the other presents."

Once Martha was safely inside the house, Clark turned to Lana and asked, "How are things with Whitney, really?"

Frowning, Lana said, "Not great."

"Are you going to break up with him?" asked Clark.

"I don't know. We've been together since I was fourteen, Clark. I don't know anything but Whitney," replied Lana.

Running his hand through his hair, Clark got a flash of memory from this morning. Glancing at Lana, Clark offered, "Sometimes, life throws you a curveball. I guess what really matters is how we respond to it."

Watching Clark's hand, Lana followed it as it played in Clark's hair. "You're probably right, Clark. Problem is, right now, I feel like I'm striking out."

Placing an arm around Lana, Clark rubbed Lana's shoulder. Looking down, Clark smiled kindly at Lana's sad eyes. Tensing a bit, Clark glanced over to where Whitney was talking animatedly with Jonathon when Lana placed her head lightly on Clark's chest. Relieved at the sound of a roaring engine, Clark pulled away from Lana, giving her shoulder one last squeeze before turning toward the driveway.

With a curious chugging sound, Chloe's car pulled up the Kent driveway. Squeaking loudly, the brakes engaged, bringing the car to a grinding halt. Finally coming to a full stop, the engine turned off with a sigh of relief. With a pop and a creak, the car doors opened. Tumbling from the small car, Chloe, Justin and Pete slammed their doors closed before walking over to where Clark and Lana stood waiting.

"Hey guys. Glad you made it," said Clark.

Stopping a couple feet from Clark, Chloe placed her hands on her hips. "And, just where do you think I'd rather be on a day like this?"

Shrugging, Clark answered, "Hunting down the latest meteor freaky link?"

Smiling, Chloe rushed forward and threw her arms around Clark. "Oh, that's why you're my Clark. You know me so well."

Staggering backwards a couple steps, Clark wrapped his arms around Chloe. "I should. I've only had to put up with you since the eighth grade."

Pulling away from Clark, Chloe slapped Clark on the stomach. "Oh fine, so that's what I get. Well, I'm just going to have to find someone who really appreciates me."

Taking a step back, Chloe ran her arm around Justin waist, snuggling up to him. "Lucky for me, that someone is right here."

Holding Chloe tightly, Justin nodded at Clark. "Hey Clark. Happy birthday, buddy."

Stepping forward, Pete chose that moment to grab Clark's arm and say, "Help me. These two have been doing this all day."

Reaching out to Pete, Justin asked, "What have you been feeling left out? Come here and give us a kiss."

Leaning back sharply, Pete recoiled from Justin. The shock on Pete's face was priceless. Everybody started laughing. After a minute, Pete waved Justin off and joined in the laughter.

Doubled over with laughter was how Martha found them. Walking up to the group, Martha said, "Well, isn't this a happy sight."

Like a chorus, Chloe, Justin and Pete sing-songed, "Hello, Mrs. Kent."

Chuckling softly, Martha mentioned, "Why don't you all go over to the tables and save Whitney from hearing how Clark's Father scored the winning touchdown at the state finals back in 1978."

Rolling his eyes, Clark said, "Not that story, again. Come on guys. Whitney is truly at my Father's mercy."

This time, Martha joined in with the laughter. Shaking her head a bit, Martha countered, "It's not that bad."

"Now, go. All of you," ordered Martha. Noticing the brightly wrapped gifts in Pete's hands, Martha held out her hands. "Give those to me. I'll put them with the rest."

Handing over two boxes, Pete pleaded, "Tell me you baked."

Taking the presents carefully, Martha giggled under her breath and said, "A cake and a pie."

Slapping his face lightly, Justin joked, "Well, there goes my girlish figure."

Slapping Justin's arm, Chloe asked, "What is with you?"

Shrugging, Justin answered, "Just my inherent charm."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Pete interjected, "More like your inherent twisted sense of humor."

Raising her voice, Martha said, "Okay. That's enough from both of you. Take it to the tables."

As Martha turned away, she heard four "Yes, Mrs. Kent" and one "Yes, Mom" ring out behind her. Shaking her head, Martha smiled all the way back to the house.

Clark and company made short work of the stroll over to the tables where they found Jonathon in the midst of the state finals of 1978. Slapping his Father on the shoulder, Clark halted the tale in mid sentence, garnering a thankful glance from Whitney. Sitting across from Whitney, Clark rolled his eyes dramatically in the direction his Father. Silently, Whitney glanced up at Jonathon, barely suppressing the need to laugh.

Quickly, the group surrounded Whitney. Sitting beside him, Lana held Whitney's hand as he prepared to field questions.

"How's the service?" asked Chloe as she sat on the small bench at the end of the table.

Raising his shoulders in a single shrug, Whitney answered, "Tiring."

Sliding onto the bench next to Chloe, Justin tapped his fingers against his plastic hand braces. "One thing I'm happy to have the hands for. In case of war, no chance of being drafted."

As Justin started to laugh, Pete hissed from his seat next to Clark, "Twisted sense of humor strikes again."

Putting his hands up, Justin said, "Hey, just being me."

"Yeah, well you could try being you with some manners," argued Pete.

Leaning across the table, Lana reminded Pete, "Don't talk, Ross. You're still in the doghouse as far as I'm concerned."

Confused, Whitney looked first at Lana and then to the other people sitting at the table. Bringing his eyes back to Lana, Whitney asked, "What happened?"

"Pete knows what he did?" replied Lana.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Pete stuck out his lower lip and sulked. "Those jerks deserved it."

Extending his open hands in the direction of both Lana and Pete, Clark mediated, "Guys, that was over a month ago. Let it die."

Resting her chin on her fist, Lana mumbled, "That's easy for you say. It wasn't your profits that Pete bit into."

From the seat adjacent to Lana, Justin mentioned, "Of course, if you count all the pie we ate that night, then we all kinda bit into your profits."

Shaking her head, Lana couldn't help, but smile. On the other side of Justin, Chloe looked at Justin and sighed, "You are so strange."

Gazing into Chloe's eyes, Justin asked, "But you love me anyway, right?"

"You better believe it, Mister," answered Chloe, a moment before drawing Justin into a quick kiss.

As Chloe and Justin parted, they had eyes only for each other. As Chloe blushed under Justin's scrutiny, Lana could only stare longingly at their open affection. Lana registered the moment Whitney placed his arm around her shoulders, but didn't respond. She didn't pull away, but she didn't lean into the gesture either. Just when Lana thought she couldn't feel any worse, Martha called out, "Look who I found.."

Turning their heads quickly, everyone looked over. To everyone's surprise, walking next to Martha was Lex Luthor. Jumping up from his seat, Clark swung his leg over the bench and walked up to Lex. "Lex. You made it."

Noticing the eerie silence of the previously animated table, Lex leaned over and whispered into Clark's ear, "I'm not late, am I?"

Shaking his head, Clark grabbed Lex's elbow, escorting him to the table. Leaning toward Lex, Clark answered quietly, "No, you're just in time."

Smiling over at Clark, Lex said, "Good."

Flicking his hand at Pete, Clark shoed Pete down the bench. Straddling the bench, Clark patted the hard wood between him and Pete before swinging his left leg over the board. Looking about at the jeans and t-shirt clad teenagers for a second, Lex reached down and unbuttoned his dark copper tinted business jacket. Hitching up the matching slacks, Lex stepped over the bench. Lowering himself to the bench, Lex stared back at the wide-open eyes surrounding him.

Trying to get comfortable, Lex tugged at his tie, loosening it enough to undo the top button of the matching, shiny black shirt. Placing his elbows on the table, Lex clasped his hands together.

Suddenly, a firm hand landed on his shoulder. Lex glanced over at the hand, following the arm attached to it until he was looking directly at Martha's kind face. Rubbing Lex's shoulder, Martha said, "Well, now that everyone's here. We can get on with it. Did you remember to bring an appetite like I told you?"

"Yes, ma'am," answered Lex, quickly.

Patting Lex's shoulder, Martha looked at Jonathon and titled her head in the direction of the house. "Jonathon, could you help me with the food?"

Nodding, Jonathon followed Martha into the house.

From Lex's left side, Pete observed, "You're dressed awfully formal for a birthday party."

Glancing at Pete, Lex replied, "Well, I just got in from Metropolis."

From Lex's right, Clark asked, "I thought your business was only going to take a couple weeks. Why are you only getting back, now?"

Looking at Clark's honest face, Lex remembered the negative test results and the compulsory counseling session he'd received that morning. "Well, last minute considerations kept me for an extra couple of weeks."

"Well, you're here now. That's what matters," said Clark.

Cocking his head to the side, Lex smiled as he stated, "Of course, I'm here. I promised you that I would."

From his left, Lex heard Pete remark, "Yeah and a Luthor's word is his bond."

Glancing to his left, Lex noted Pete's hostility. Glancing to his right, Lex noticed the anger filling Clark's face. Looking over his shoulder, Lex saw Martha and Jonathon come out the house, balancing bowls and baskets. Turning back to Clark, Lex asked, "What's for lunch?"

Blinking a few times, Clark shook off his anger and answered, "Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn or the cob, rice, mixed vegetables, cornbread and biscuits. Oh, and for dessert, Mom made a cake and a pie."

With surprise, Lex's eyebrows rose high. "Were they expecting more people?"

Shaking his head, Clark answered, "No."

Reaching the table, Martha and Jonathon placed the baskets and bowls around the table. As Martha placed a wicker basket covered with a cloth rooster in the center of the table in front of Lex, Martha looked down at Lex and asked, "Lex, have you ever had my pie?"

Shaking his head, Lex replied, "No, I can't say that I have."

Stretching to place a bowl of steaming chicken flavored rice next to the gaily-colored rooster, Martha's voice was a little strained as she said, "Well, that's something we'll have to remedy, isn't it? Make sure you save some room."

Looking at Martha's genuinely kind face, Lex couldn't help but smile as he promised, "I'll make sure I do that, Mrs. Kent."

"Well, see that you do." Shifting the bowls on the table, Martha placed her final bowl filled with mashed potatoes on the wood picnic table. Standing straight up, Martha pulled three large spoons from her pocket. With a cloth napkin, Martha wiped each down before sticking it into one of the three bowls. Walking over to other side of the table, Martha sat down between Whitney and Jonathon.

Picking up the basket of fried chicken, Clark announced, "Let's eat."

Immediately, everyone reached for something except Lex. He just stared at the rooster nesting before him. Cocking his head from side to side, Lex inspected the yellow jersey print curiously, not quite sure what to do with it. Finally, Clark noticed Lex's dilemma and lifted one of the quilted wings and stuck his hand into a hole carved in the side of the chicken. Pulling his hand out, Clark held a warm buttermilk biscuit up for Lex to see. At that moment, everybody noticed Lex's surprise and laughed as Lex haltingly stuck his hand into the cotton bird and pulled out a biscuit.

Watching the friendly manner in which everyone interacted, Whitney mentioned, "Y'know, I'm beginning to feel like Rip Van Winkle which is unreal since I've only been gone six weeks."

"A lot can happen in six weeks," noted Chloe just before stuffing a spoonful of mashed potatoes into her mouth.

Holding a buttered ear or corn between his fingers, Whitney stated, "Okay, Miss Reporter. Fill me in."

As Whitney took a large bite from his corn on the cob, Chloe swallowed hastily. Drawing a sip of lemonade from her glass, Chloe paused for a moment with her hand spread beneath her neck before taking up the challenge. "Okay. Let's see. The biggest news is the opening of the KRYco chemical plant."

Licking his lips, Whitney savored the taste of real food as he asked, "KRYco?"

Nodding, Chloe speared a piece of summer squash. Using the steamed vegetable as a pointer, Chloe flung her fork about as she said, "Yeah, apparently they think that Smallville is the perfect place to set up shop."

Swallowing down a mouthful of fried chicken, Pete stated, "I heard they came to Smallville because they were able to buy the old warehouse and the surrounding land for cheap."

Nodding at Pete, Jonathon laughed, "Well, at least that sounds more like a corporation."

Suddenly, Jonathon sat straight up. Glancing at his wife, Jonathon was graced with a frown and quick glance in Lex's direction. Sighing loudly, Jonathon rolled his eyes and took another bite from a large breast of chicken.

Sucking on his fingers, Justin joined in the gossip. "Y'know what's weird. They're clearing away all the meteor rock from the site. I know because Chuck Thompson got hired on last month moving rock."

Shaking his head, Lex wiped his mouth with his napkin. Placing the napkin back on the table, Lex asserted, "No, the weird thing is that no one knows what they're doing with the meteor rock."

Resting his previously busy utensils, Clark looked at Lex's profile and asked, "What do you mean?"

Looking at Clark, Lex answered, "I mean, some of the larger rocks are going to Met U. and some of the KSUs, but the rest are being trucked away to." To finish his point, Lex waved his hands in the air.

Leaning forward, Martha asked, "Do you see a problem with that, Lex?"

Glancing at Martha, Lex answered, "I always have a problem when I don't know something."

Through a mouthful of cornbread, Pete stated, "What's the big deal, anyway? It's just a bunch of worthless rock."

Staring at the food on his plate, Clark replied, "Makes you wonder what else they're doing. Yeah, there were a lot of meteors at the old warehouse, but why bother to move all but the largest."

Nodding, Lex agreed, "I had a LuthorCorp scientist go over to them. He said they're being very careful to eliminate all but the slightest trace of meteor rock from the site."

Swallowing a spoonful of rice, Chloe theorized, "Hmm. Maybe they know something we don't about the meteors."

Shrugging off Chloe's comment, Justin mentioned, "Could be they're afraid of side effects."

Nodding, Lex argued, "Perhaps, but it's futile. This whole town is packed with meteor rocks. I'd be surprised if one could go five feet in any direction without hitting one."

Shaking his head, Clark countered, "Nah, they're not that common everywhere, just at the major crash sites."

'Do you know something I and the entire geological community doesn't, Clark?' thought Lex as he slowly answered, "Is that so?"

Across the table, Lana watched Lex stare intensely at Clark's concerned face. Clapping her hands once, Lana got everyone's attention. "I think we're all getting very carried away here. We're going on like this because we just don't know very much about them."

Nodding, Clark flashed a thank you at Lana with his eyes. "Lana's right. We're just speculating here."

Holding up her index finger, Chloe stated, "Speculation is the cornerstone of journalism."

Squinting at Chloe, Clark asked, "I thought facts were the cornerstone of journalism?"

Shaking her head, Chloe argued, "No. Fact is what comes after speculation."

Leering at Chloe, Lex inquired, "Miss Sullivan, are you sure you're not interested in that job at the Inquisitor?"

Tilting her head sharply to the right, Chloe replied, "Ha. Ha. Very funny. If you're so smart, Mr. Luthor, why don't you enlighten us on what KRYco is?"

Smugly, Lex returned Chloe's defiant stare. "Okay."

Taking a deep breath, Lex continued, "KRYco is a "S" Chapter close corporation, incorporated in California in 1989. It has one million shares outstanding held in the names of eight families consisting of 38 voting members."

Everyone at the table dropped their food down onto their plates. Coughing a couple times, Jonathon placed his elbow on the table and pointed at Lex. "Why and how do you know so much about this company?"

Staring back at Jonathon, Lex answered with a steady tone, "Why? Because I make it a point to know things. How? Ninety-five percent of what I told you I got off the California Secretary of State website."

"And, the other five percent?" inquired Jonathon.

Sitting up straighter, Lex let the corner of his lips slowly turn up. "That I had to request in writing."

Next to Jonathon, Martha glanced back and forth from her husband to Lex and back again. Somewhere along the third sweep of her eyes, Martha caught Clark staring at her, pleading with her to do something. Doing the first thing that came to mind, Martha stood up and asked, "Who wants cake and pie?"

Around the table, cheers went up at the prospect of Martha's cake and pie. Well, cheers came from everywhere but from Jonathon and Lex who were still in the middle of some epic staring match. Stepping over the bench, Martha tapped Jonathon on the shoulder. "Jonathon, would you come help me carry everything out?"

Breaking away from Lex's eyes, Jonathon answered, "Sure, Martha."

Everybody at the table followed Martha and Jonathon with their eyes. As the group watched, Martha frowned and leaned over. With a scowl, Martha whispered something to Jonathon. By Jonathon's reaction - A face filled with shock followed by an expression similar to a puppy being kicked - It couldn't have been good.

"See what you started?" said Pete as he stared angrily at Lex.

Barely making an effort to glance at Pete, Lex turned toward Clark and asked, "So, Clark have you gotten all the paperwork into the office, yet?"

Happy for a new topic of conversation, Clark replied, "Yeah. I got it signed by the school administration and I gave it to Sheila about a week and a half ago. I'm all set to start Monday morning."

From behind Lex, Pete asked, "You're working for LuthorCorp, Clark?"

Leaning forward, Clark looked around Lex at Pete, "Yeah, Lex got me a job."

With a grimace on his face and a quick glance at Lex, Pete asked, "And you're helping on the farm?"

Nodding, Clark looked back at Pete like Pete had grown an extra head. "Yeah."

Shaking his head, Pete inquired, "Okay. I've asked this before and I'm going to ask it again: When are you going to sleep?"

Nodding in agreement, Chloe placed her chin on her hand. "Yeah Clark, that's a lot to take on. Are you sure you can handle it all?"

Suddenly, Whitney slammed his glass down on the table, making an audible bang. Looking back and forth from Pete to Chloe, Whitney said, "Why don't you lay off of Clark?"

Momentarily stunned, Clark sat with his mouth open for a second before saying, "Thanks, Whitney."

Shaking his head, Whitney replied, "No problem. I know how it is, Clark. Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do."

Nodding, Clark said, "Exactly."

With a slam of a door, the group became aware of Jonathon and Martha returning with a cake and a pie. Jonathon balanced the round double layer cake with one hand while he shielded the lit candles with his other hand. Placing the cake down in front of Clark, Jonathon took a second to use one of the candles to relight two of the other candles. Standing back, Jonathon took Martha's pie and placed it on the table, as well.

Stepping to the side, Martha placed her left hand on Lex's right shoulder at the same time she placed her right hand on Clark's left shoulder. Bending down, Martha smiled at Clark and said, "Go ahead, make a wish."

Looking past his Mother, Clark glanced at Lex before closing his eyes and blowing out the candles. Opening his eyes, Clark found all the candles blown out. Smiling widely, Clark watched as Martha stood and reached forward. Picking up a carving knife, Martha started slicing the cake.

Across from Clark, Lana rested her chin on her folded hands. Staring dreamily at Clark's happy expression, Lana asked, "What did you wish for, Clark?"

Shaking his head, Clark answered, "Not telling."

Next to Clark, Chloe joined in with Lana, "Aww come on. You aren't superstitious, are you Clark?"

Shaking his head again, Clark said, "Doesn't matter. I'm not telling you."

Leaning forward, Lex stated, "Leave Clark alone. All he's doing is practicing his own version of Pasqual's wager."

Narrowing his eyes, Justin asked, "Pasqual who?"

Looking at Justin, Luthor explained, "French philosopher. Pasqual made an argument against atheism. The argument was called Pasqual's wager and basically went: One should believe in God because if there is no God, then you've lost nothing but if there is a God and you don't believe then you've lost everything."

Staring back at Lex, Justin loudly sighed, "Now, that was just deep. Pasqual's wager, huh?"

Nodding, Lex replied, "Yeah."

Nodding, Justin said, "I'm going to need to remember that."

"Well, enough deep thoughts. It's dessert time." With a final slice, Martha finished cutting up the cake. Placing one piece at a time on a plate, Martha handed the plate to Clark. As Clark handed the plate to Chloe who in turn passed it further down the line to Justin, Martha sent more cake along the way until everyone had a piece of cake.

Busy thrusting forkful after forkful of cake into his mouth, Pete remarked, "You are the best baker ever, Mrs. Kent."

Blushing, Martha said, "Thank you, Pete."

Looking over at Lex, Martha asked, "How do you like it, Lex?"

Smiling at Martha, Lex answered, "It's very good. Thank you, Mrs. Kent."

For the next several minutes, no one spoke. They were too busy eating. As second helpings of the cake started making the rounds, Justin broke into the pie. After that, restraint was a word of the past. Everyone had at least one serving of cake and pie, however Clark, Pete and Justin wowed the crowd by eating three servings of both cake and pie.

After licking the last remnants of frosting from his fork, Justin patted his stomach and said, "Yep, my girlish figure is definitely a thing of the past."

In response, everyone at the table laughed. Groaning from an overly full stomach, Martha held her stomach with her left hand while pushing off the table with her right. "I think it's time for presents."

Together, Jonathon and Martha left the table and headed for the house. At the table, Whitney and Lana pushed bowls and plates down the table making room for the presents. Returning a few minutes later with all the gifts, Jonathon and Martha placed the presents on the table. Stepping back, Jonathon wrapped his left arm around Martha's waist.

Closing his eyes for a second, Clark reached out and snatched the first thing his fingers touched - A thin envelope. Opening his eyes, Clark read the front, "From Pete. Thanks, Pete."

"Hope you like it, Clark," replied Pete as he watched Clark tear open the envelope.

Peeking inside the open envelope, Clark's eyes grew large as he pulled the card out. Opening the bright red cover, Clark found two tickets to the theatre, concession coupons and $10 dollars in extra Edward's Theatre gift certificates. Looking through the concession coupons, Clark exclaimed, "Wow, this is great, Pete."

"I'm glad you like it. So when do you want to go?" asked Pete.

Arching an eyebrow, Clark shot a sideways glance in Pete's direction. "Who says I'm taking you?"

With a pouting lip, Pete said, "Aww come on, man. Best friend, remember?"

Sliding the tickets back into the envelope, Clark observed, "I see, so this gift was meant to be the gift that keeps on giving."

Shrugging, Pete replied, "Well, I wouldn't say that, exactly."

Reaching around Lex, Clark punched Pete in the shoulder. "Tell me, when is your schedule going to be free from the mayor's reelection?"

"We'll work it out. Your secretary can call my secretary," joked Pete.

"Oh yeah, I definitely need to consult my calendar before making any plans," said Clark, continuing the joke.

Throwing her hands up, Chloe waved at Pete and Clark frantically. "Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. Not the imaginary social schedule routine again. You guys are worse than watching an old Abbot and Costello movie."

Laughing at Chloe's desperate words, Pete and Clark reached around Lex and first brought Clark's fist down on Pete's fist then Pete did the same to Clark. Between chuckles, Pete remarked, "That reaction is half the reason why we do it, Chloe."

Standing up, Lana reached over and grabbed her gift by its red handles. Extending the gift towards Clark, Lana said, "Okay, enough fun at Chloe's expense. Open my gift, Clark."

Sobering a bit, Clark took the bag from Lana. Nodding his thanks to Lana, Clark untied the handles. Peeking inside the shiny red bag, Clark dug through the white tissue paper. Gingerly, Clark pulled a small bijoux box out. Flipping open the lid, Clark gasped at the sight of a silver I.D. bracelet. Carefully, Clark picked the piece of jewelry off the velvet pad. Watching the sun reflect off the smooth surface, Clark sighed, "Lana, this is beautiful."

Clasping her hands in front of her, Lana asked, "Do you really like it?"

Nodding absently, Clark continued to stare at the bracelet. Running his fingers over the grooves in the band. "Yeah. This is great."

"Turn the I.D. plate over," insisted Lana.

Turning the I.D. plate over, Clark read the single word with a whisper, "Hero."

Looking at Clark fondly, Lana said, "I think you've done enough to deserve this, but you don't like people to make a fuss, so that's why it's on the back."

Squinting, Clark said, "I don't understand."

Tilting her head to the side, Lana looked at the wood tabletop. "Well, it's so your being a hero is easily concealed. See, when you wear it, no one can see that you're a hero."

"That's a good idea, Lana. I love it. Thanks," replied Clark, wrestling with his large fingers, trying to put on the bracelet.

Suddenly, two hands appeared. Placed on Clark's wrist, Lex's fingers grasped onto the clasp and brought the bracelet together. Sliding the I.D. plate over until it was on the top of Clark's wrist, Lex turned the slip of curved silver over and gazed at the bold block lettering. Nodding with approval, Lex flipped the plate back over and let go of Clark's wrist.

Swallowing, Clark fought to regain his composure as his mouth went desert dry. Coughing a couple times, Clark reached over and grabbed his glass of lemonade. Pulling it up to his lips, Clark caught Lex's sly smile as he tipped back his head and swallowed.

Slamming his cup down, Clark looked over at Lex and said, "So, what did you get me?"

Leaning toward Clark, Lex tapped his left hand on a silver box wrapped in an elaborate gold ribbon. "Take a look."

Smiling widely, Clark grabbed the medium sized box. Tearing off the glittering ribbon, Clark pulled off the lid. Curiously, Clark placed the box back on the table. Spreading the tissue apart, Clark gingerly lifted out a stone sculpture. The statue depicted a gargoyle straining against its bonds with its mouth opened wide, its fangs and claws extended. The stone beast stood on a stone floor base that met at a right angle with a jagged brick wall in which small cast iron chains were imbedded.

"What is that? A demon?" asked Pete.

"No, it's a gargoyle," answered Clark. "Wow. That's cool."

"I don't know, Clark. It looks like a demon to me," argued Pete.

Glaring at Pete, Lex pointed out, "Looks can be deceiving. Gargoyles are actually protectors. In fact, some of the oldest churches of Europe are adorned with gargoyles."

Narrowing his eyes, Pete's lips took on a familiar pout. "Churches in Europe, huh?"

Nodding once, Lex answered, "That's correct."

From his right, Lex heard Clark's voice sound with an edge of laughter, "Like Notre Dame?"

Turning towards Clark, Lex flashed his best "fuck you" smile. "Yes, just like Notre Dame."

Everyone at the table shifted their eyes back and forth from Clark and Lex. Jonathon especially noticed the unsaid joke that passed between the two young men. Stepping forward, Jonathon slapped Clark on the shoulder and said, "Those four are from your Mother and I."

One by one, Clark opened the four boxes. In the first three, Clark found clothes, nice clothes, but clothes nonetheless. Pulling six long sleeve shirts from two of the boxes, Clark held the shirts up for everybody to see.

"Those are nice clothes, Clark." Chloe reached over and felt the smooth cotton material, nodding with approval.

As Clark pulled four pair of slacks from the third box, Clark heard Pete say over his to his left, "What, no plaid?"

Glaring slightly, Clark asked, "What is wrong with plaid?"

From his right, Chloe chimed in, "Other than it's ugly?"

Turning his angry eyes on Chloe, Clark argued, "I like plaid."

Shaking her head, Chloe asserted, "You look better in solid blue."

"I disagree. Clark looks better in red," countered Lana.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Clark said, "This is crazy. It's just plaid. It's comfortable."

From his right, Lex interjected, "Clark, the production of plaid should be a crime."

His shoulders losing their rigidity, Clark slumped down a couple inches and asked, "Not you, too?"

Taken aback, Lex replied, "What are you talking about? Especially me."

Looking skyward, Clark sighed, "I give up."

Shaking his head, Clark let his head fall forward. Suddenly, he felt a gentle hand on his right shoulder. Looking up, Clark wasn't surprised to see his Mother looking down at him with a concerned smile. "Clark, we wanted you to have decent clothes to wear to your summer job."

"Thanks, Mom," said Clark.

Nodding at the last gift, Martha said, "Go on, you have one more from us."

Opening the last box, Clark pulled out a large book. Opening it a few pages at a time, Clark let his fingers dance over the diagrams that were printed on each page. "A collection of star charts. I've always wanted one of these."

From behind him, Clark heard his Father's gruff, but kind voice say, "Glad you like it, son."

With clenched hands, Jonathon watched Clark tip the book to the left and show Lex the page depicting the Virgo-Coma galaxy region. Looking down at his wife, Jonathon realized she recognized his resentment and anger. The warning in her eyes was enough to chain the beast and clam Jonathon down.

Clapping her hands together loudly, Chloe proclaimed, "Okay, saved the best for last."

Picking up a small box wrapped in paper screaming out "Happy Birthday," Chloe looked at Clark sweetly and said, "Justin and I hope you like it."

Clark couldn't resist a knowing glance at Lex. They both held back their laughter as Chloe narrowed her eyes and stared at them intensely. Finally, Clark took the gift from Chloe and said, "I'm sure I will, Chloe."

Filled with energy, Clark ripped the gaily-colored paper to shreds. Opening the box, Clark gasped. As if he were shifting a baby chick, Clark turned the box over and drew the box away. Settled on the fingers of his left hand, Clark held a crystal orb. Inside the round glass, one could see lines and multicolored dots of various sizes. Glancing over at Chloe, Clark breathed, "Is this what I think it is?"

Tilting her head to the right, Chloe replied, "That depends. What do you think it is?"

"A map of the known universe?" asked Clark.

Beside Chloe, Justin said, "Got it in one."

In one swift move, Chloe grabbed Justin's arm while leaning toward Clark. "Do you just love it?"

Clark's eyes were round like saucers. His mouth hung open as he spun the globe one way then the other. "Yeah, of course, I do. Wow Chloe, I saw one of these advertised on the Discovery Channel, a couple months ago."

Laughing loudly, Chloe replied, "Hello, I know. I was there. Remember? We had to use a squeegee to get your drool off my Dad's TV."

Clark's eager expression soon turned into concern. In a serious voice, Clark stated, "This is expensive."

Waving his left hand at Clark, Justin responded, "Don't insult us. You know we'd never buy something unless it was on sale."

Justin flinched before Chloe ever got the chance to smack his arm. Taking the smack that came anyway, Justin giggled as Chloe yelled, "Don't say that!"

Grabbing Chloe's arm, Clark pulled her back as he said, "Chloe, it's okay."

Turning to Clark, Chloe's angry eyes softened. "You love it anyway, right?"

"Oh God, yes," answered Clark as he carefully placed the orb back in its box.

Once the gift was safely put away, Chloe wrapped her arms around Clark's neck and said, "Then it's all worth it."

A minute passed into two and still Chloe held onto Clark. Soon, Justin glanced at his wristwatch and said, "That hug goes on any longer and I'm gonna turn green."

Pulling away from Clark, Chloe turned to Justin. Her hands on her hips, Chloe couldn't keep the smile from her lips. Reaching out, Chloe curled her hands around the fabric of Justin's t-shirt, Chloe pulled Justin into a long kiss as she whispered, "Hush, you."

Justin and Chloe's obvious display of affection made everyone at the table uncomfortable, but no one more so than Lana. With his left arm wrapped around her shoulders, Whitney felt tension fill Lana's muscles. Hoping to liven the moment, Whitney asked, "Does anybody else need to work off lunch with a game of basketball?"

Glancing at Jonathon, Clark smiled at the small nod Jonathon offered. Looking at Whitney, Clark said, "Sounds great."

Happily, Pete exclaimed, "Let's do it."

Nodding, Lana smiled up at Whitney. "I'm in. Who else?"

Finally coming up for air, Chloe added, "I could go for that."

Shrugging, Justin withdrew. "Basketball isn't an activity I can join in."

Doing a quick headcount, Whitney asked, "Lex, you in?"

For a second, Lex leaned back and just stared at Whitney. Finally, Lex tugged on his jacket sleeves and replied, "I'll have to pass. Armani and basketball don't mix well."

Shrugging, Whitney said, "Okay, your loss. How about you, Mr. Kent?"

Scrunching his face up, Jonathon asked, "Me?"

Nodding, Whitney answered, "Yes, sir. That way we'll have 3 on 3."

Looking at Justin Whitney proposed, "If you'd like, you could referee."

Suspiciously, Justin eyed Whitney's honest face. Once he was satisfied that Whitney was on the up and up, Justin said, "Power. Authority. But no ugly black and white shirt. I'm in."

With Justin's acceptance, all eyes turned to Jonathon. Shifting from one foot to the other under the intense scrutiny, Jonathon scratched the back of his head and answered, "Umm. Sure."

The table erupted in cheers as they argued over teams. Glancing at each other, Chloe and Lana hatched a wicked plan. Standing up, they screamed at the same time, "Clark's on our team!"

Jumping over their benches, Chloe and Lana ran over to Clark. Grabbing him by the arms, Lana and Chloe dragged a very surprised Clark off his bench and proceeded to pull him over to the basketball hoop nailed to the broadside of the barn.

Back at the tables, Whitney slid over to Justin, nudging Justin with his elbow. "Should we be concerned?"

Cocking his head to the left, Justin leaned toward Whitney as he stroked his chin with his left hand. With a glance at Whitney's serious face, Justin waved his hand in the direction of their girlfriends and said, "Nah."

Coming up behind Justin and Whitney, Jonathon patted each on the shoulder before saying, "Come on. Let's get this game started."

Joined by Pete, the four men walked to the basketball court. Left alone at the tables, Lex swung his legs over the bench and sat with his back braced against the hard wood table. From his vantage point, Lex watched the game commence, heard the laughter erupt.

"Feeling a little like an outsider?" asked Martha as she slid onto the bench beside Lex.

Looking over at Martha's kind face, Lex lifted his shoulders once sharply. "I've gotten used to it."

Sympathetically, Martha patted Lex's thigh. "Y'know, it doesn't last forever. They accept you eventually. You just have to give them time."

Lex stared at Martha with an intense curiosity before light dawned in his eyes and he said, "That's right. You're not from Smallville, originally."

Shaking her head, Martha laughed, "Nope, Metropolis girl - Born and raised."

"So, you know how it is," stated Lex.

Nodding sadly, Martha replied, "Yes. When Jonathon and I married, I moved to Smallville. I left Metropolis far behind. At first, it was very hard, especially on Jonathon. He was used to being the hometown hero. Suddenly, he was just that boy who married that girl from Metropolis. We lived like hermits for years, but now, we're accepted. I'm accepted. You will be, too."

"I like Smallville, Mrs. Kent. It just doesn't seem to like me very much," said Lex.

Taking a hold of Lex's hand, Martha assured, "It's an easy place to like. Give it time, Lex. Like I said, it only takes time, but you're already ahead of the game. You have Clark and I on your side."

Smiling at Martha, Lex squeezed her hand. "That's a start."

Looking at the game, Martha shook her head at Jonathon's attempts at hot-dogging. "You'll see, Lex. Everything will be fine."

--<{()}>--

Sunset

Long after all the other guests left, Lex stayed. Long after the presents were taken inside, the tables cleaned and put away, Lex remained at the Kent farm. As the sky darkened, Lex found himself in a far off field, walking beside Clark. With his hands stuffed in his jacket pockets, Lex felt the edge wear away from the heat of the day. Quickly, a chill ran through Lex's body as a cool breeze passed over his bare scalp.

As the sun lowered in the distance, Lex and Clark came to the edge of the Kent's property. At a waist high, wooden fence, Lex and Clark stopped to take in the sunset. A golden shadow covered everything as Clark cleared his throat and said, "So."

Looking over at Clark's nervous face, Lex smiled. "So, happy birthday, Clark."

"Thanks," replied Clark, just a little too quickly.

Staring at the sunset, silence fell between Clark and Lex. Every couple seconds, Clark glanced at Lex. More than once, Lex caught Clark's glance, causing Clark to flush red. Finally, Lex looked at the sunset as he mentioned, "You look like you've got something on your mind."

Nodding, Clark looked at Lex as he agreed, "I do. I've got a question."

"Wanna ask me this question?" asked Lex as he continued to look out at the rippling sun.

"Yeah, I do," answered Clark, unable to take his eyes off of Lex's orange tinted profile.

"No time like the present," reminded Lex, without even a glance at Clark.

Taking a few steps back, Clark looked at Lex's tense shoulders. Gathering courage, Clark asked, "Lex?"

Nodding, but keeping his back to Clark, Lex replied, "Yes, Clark."

Taking a couple deep breaths, Clark asked quickly, "I was wondering if you could ever see me as more than a friend?"

With a graceful twist of his limbs, Lex turned toward Clark. Taking a single step forward, Lex closed the distance between him and Clark. Reaching up, Lex pressed his fingers against Clark's jaw line as he pulled Clark's head down.

"Yes," whispered Lex as he pressed his lips lightly against Clark's.

Increasing the pressure, Lex drew out the kiss. Happily, Lex lingered on the taste of Clark's lips. Smiling against those lips, Lex felt Clark's trembling hands run up and down his arms.

'So unsure. Just I like I thought you'd be,' mused Lex as he pulled away from Clark's swaying body.

For a second, Clark's eyes clouded over. The next second brought action. Wrapping his arms around Lex, Clark pulled Lex into a tight embrace. In that embrace, Clark let all his tension and second thoughts fly away. Sighing loudly, Clark tucked his head into the crook of Lex's shoulder and pulled Lex even closer.

A second later, Lex tapped on Clark's back as he croaked, "Clark? Clark, need to breathe, here."

Pulling away, Clark's eyes were open wide and his hands were shaking. "I'm sorry."

Placing his hands on Clark's waist, Lex pulled Clark forward. With a sly smile, Lex assured, "No problem. A little enthusiasm never killed anybody."

Nodding his head toward the Kent home, Lex asked, "Why don't we go back, now?"

Instantly, Clark's fingers dug into Lex's flesh. Looking at Lex with a pained expression, Clark shook his head. "No, I don't ever want to go back."

Laughing softly, Lex placed his left hand on Clark's cheek. "No, Clark. Just to your fortress of solitude, okay?"

Exhaling, Clark replied, "Oh, sure."

Side by side, Lex and Clark crossed the fields in silence. Once they reached the barn, Clark opened the door and walked inside. Looking around, Clark used his x-ray vision to ensure that they were alone. Turning around, Clark waited until he heard the barn door slam shut before walking up to Lex and taking him in his arms.

In the middle of the open barn, they kissed. From the first, the kisses were rough with need and hunger. Each needed more, but in Lex's mind bells were ringing. As Clark's hands ventured out, exploring new territory, Lex remembered the counseling session from a couple days ago. As Clark trailed kisses to his neck, Lex couldn't shake away the memory of the doctor telling him more tests would be needed in the months to come to know for sure that Lex wasn't infected. As Lex felt Clark's fingers rub and knead his ass, Lex pushed Clark away.

"Stop," ordered Lex.

"What? Why?" asked Clark.

"This is going too fast," replied Lex.

"For who?" inquired Clark.

"For you," answered Lex.

Shaking his head, Clark argued, "Come on, Lex. I'm not a little boy."

Stepping forward, Clark placed his hands on Lex's face and pulled him into another kiss. For awhile, Clark thought he won. With pride, he patted himself on the back for convincing Lex everything was alright and the hand pulling Clark's shirt out of his pants was the proof. Then, the pleasing hand became rough as it brushed and twisted Clark's nipple. Soon, Clark felt Lex's tongue knock against his teeth. Opening his mouth, Clark felt Lex's tongue invade his mouth. Soon, Clark was very aware of Lex's left hand as it gripped his crotch, rubbing him through the denim fabric.

All at once, the nature of the encounter changed. Lex's hands weren't searching. They were taking, ripping, clawing. In response, Clark pushed Lex away. "What the hell!"

Stumbling backwards a couple steps, Lex locked eyes with Clark. "This is what you wanted, isn't it Clark? You want to fuck me. Well, go ahead. Maybe in your loft? On your old couch. Or, I know. I'll just bend over this bale of hay and we can give it a go, right here. Come on, Clark. This is what you wanted, right?"

Shaking his head, Clark felt dizzy. "No. I mean. I mean. Yes."

Quickly, Lex walked up to Clark. Placing his hands on Clark's face, Lex stopped Clark's shaking head. Forcing Clark to meet his eyes, Lex spoke slowly and evenly, "Listen to me, I've fucked a lot of people, Clark, but I don't want to fuck you. Understand?"

Breaking away from Lex's intense gaze, Clark looked down at the ground. Rubbing his thumbs over Clark's cheeks, Lex got Clark's attention. Again, Lex asked, "Understand?"

Nodding slowly, Clark answered, "I think so."

Smiling, Lex pulled Clark into a firm embrace. As Lex placed his head on Clark's shoulder, Lex whispered, "Good."

For a few seconds, Lex and Clark held each other, quietly. Lex's arms under Clark's, they rubbed each other's backs as they turned their heads and kissed each other slowly. Nothing to rush them along, they reveled in the feel of each other.

Suddenly, Lex remembered something and pulled away. At the sight of Clark's nervous eyes, Lex smiled and squeezed Clark's flanks. "I think I better be going home, now."

Clark's eye widened insanely. Grabbing Lex's biceps, Clark said, "Don't go, Lex. I didn't mean anything by before."

Rubbing Clark's waist, Lex covered up a wince at Clark's grip by saying, "I know that, Clark, but I just think I should go home, right now. Especially since your parents are not a hundred feet from here and could walk in at any minute."

Looking in the direction of his home, Clark whispered, "I forgot about them."

Turning to Lex, Clark asked, "When can I see you again?"

Laughing softly, Lex replied, "Nothing's changed, Clark. You can see me whenever you want. You know where I live and you know where I work."

Arching his right eyebrow, Clark said, "They're in the same place, Lex."

"See how easy that is?" answered Lex.

Smiling, Clark said, "Yeah."

"Good," sighed Lex as he leaned in and kissed Clark one last time.

Lingering for a moment longer on Clark's soft, moist lips, Lex gently nipped on Clark's lower lip as he pulled away. Looking at Clark's shuttered eyes, Lex noted Clark's cloudy eyes and swaying form. Smiling smugly this time, Lex said, "See ya later, Clark."

Nodding, Clark followed Lex as he walked away. As Lex pushed the barn door open, Clark sighed, "See ya."

At Clark's quiet voice, Lex looked over his shoulder. For a second, Lex took in the sight of Clark standing in the middle of the barn, disheveled and glowing. Smiling honestly, Lex walked out of the barn, closing the door quietly behind him.

Inside the barn, Clark stood silently. Staring at the door, Clark half-expected Lex to come running back into the barn. When that didn't happen, Clark felt movement reenter his body. As Clark heard the hum of Lex's car and the crunching of gravel as it drove away, Clark rubbed his hands down the front of his shirt. Shifting from foot to foot, Clark looked around before raising his fists and yelling, "Yes!"

--<{()}>--

10:23 p.m.
Nell Potter's House

Lana awoke with a start. At her window, was a dark, shadowy figure who was currently trying to climb inside her window. Terrified, Lana pulled her blankets up to her chest and almost screamed until the person turned around. Exhaling at realizing it was Clark, Lana let her blanket fall down, showing off her dark green nightgown. Smiling at Clark's smiling face, Lana whispered, "You're really here. Clark, I'm so glad."

Across the room, Clark barely heard what Lana said. Stepping forward, Clark started gesturing wildly as he said, "He said 'yes.' I can't believe it. Can you believe it? I can't believe it. He said 'yes.' And. And. I'm so happy. I wanted to tell everyone, but I couldn't. Because, no one knows, nobody can know except you. You're the only one that knows everything. And. And. I had to tell someone or I was going to explode. So, that's why I'm here, telling you. Isn't it incredible?"

Confused, Lana closed her eyes. Rubbing her face, Lana reopened her eyes and looked at Clark's glowing face. "Clark, I want you slow down and take a few deep breaths."

"Okay." Pausing, Clark concentrated on breathing. After a few deep breaths, Clark's eyes cleared and his movements slowed. Looking at Lana, Clark said, "I'm calm."

Nodding, Lana whispered, "Now, tell me what's going on."

Walking across the room, Clark sat down next to Lana. Looking into Lana's eyes, Clark answered, "Lex. Tonight, I told Lex that I wanted to be more than just friends."

Deep in the pit of her stomach, Lana felt a hole forming. As it grew deeper, Lana said, "And, Lex said 'yes.'"

Loudly, Clark replied, "Yes!"

Grabbing Clark's arm, Lana scolded with whispers, "Clark, keep it down. My Aunt."

Looking at Lana's bedroom door, Clark apologized quietly, "I'm sorry. I'm just so."

Smiling sadly, Lana finished Clark's sentence. "Happy."

Looking at Lana, Clark leaned forward and whispered, "Yes."

Blinking hard a few times, Lana fought back her tears as she said, "I'm so happy for you, Clark."

Smiling widely, Clark replied, "I knew you would be. You're always such a good friend to me, Lana."

Biting her lip, Lana fought back a scream. Letting go of her lower lip, Lana forced a smile and said, "What are friends for?"

Suddenly, Lana found herself pulled into a strong embrace. Resting her chin on Clark's shoulder, Lana fought her body's desire to hitch from the sobs in her throat and the tears stinging her eyes. Clutching at Clark, Lana's hand curled into fists before letting go.

As they pulled away from each other, Clark remarked, "I better get back home before I'm missed."

With a final wave goodbye, Clark left the way he came.

Long after, he'd disappeared from her window, Lana whispered, "Goodbye, Clark."

Looking at the window, Lana stared silently at the darkness. She was still intent on the empty night when she felt the first tear roll down her cheek. As the solitary drop fell from her chin, Lana knew there would be more to come and waited for it all to start. First, her breath hitched. Then, her shoulders tensed up. Finally, Lana brought her hands up to her face and surrendered to the pain.

Through the blurry veil of tears, Lana struggled to her feet. As the sobs wracked her body, she stumbled across the room. Fumbling about frantically, Lana managed to get dressed. Grabbing her car keys, Lana never looked back as she walked out the front door.

Jumping in her Aunt's truck, Lana turned over the engine and slammed on the accelerator. Flying down the vacant roads, Lana continued to cry, wiping her eyes with one hand as she gripped the steering wheel with the other. More than once, Lana took a corner too quickly, almost crashing into a tree or wall. Each time, Lana found she couldn't bring herself to just let the steering wheel go.

Making one last turn, Lana pulled into Whitney's driveway. Barely remembering to turn off the engine, Lana jumped from the truck. At top speed, Lana ran up Whitney's front door and started pounding on it with all her strength.

Responding to the frantic knocking on his front door, Whitney opened the door. Instantly, Whitney was holding an armful of Lana's trembling body. Wrapping his arms around Lana, Whitney led Lana into his home. Kicking the front door closed, Whitney guided Lana over to the sofa and pushed her down until she sat on the soft cushions.

Sitting beside Lana, Whitney grabbed her by the biceps. Shaking her slightly, Whitney asked, "What's happened? Lana, what's wrong? Talk to me, Lana."

Crying harder at Whitney's words, Lana let her head fall forward. Squeezing her eyes shut, Lana cried, "Oh Whitney, just hold me. Don't ask me why. Please, Whitney. Don't ask me any questions. Just hold me."

Nodding, Whitney pulled Lana into his arms and up onto his lap. Quietly, he held her as she cried. Rubbing her shoulder and rocking her gently, Whitney felt the flood of tears ebb. After a couple minutes, Lana went limp in his arms. Tilting Lana's head back, Whitney saw her red, puffy eyes open just before he kissed her.

After Whitney pulled back, he saw the sadness in Lana's eyes. Wiping a tear away from her cheek with his thumb, Whitney waited for Lana to speak.

As Lana looked back at Whitney, she could see the depth of his love for her etched in each worry line that framed his eyes. In a whisper, Lana requested, "Tell me you love me, Whitney."

"I love you. I've always loved you," replied Whitney.

Digging her fingers into the fabric of Whitney's shirt, Lana pulled Whitney into another kiss. Longer and filled with pain, the kiss ended when Lana pulled back, searching Whitney's eyes. "I've been so lonely, Whitney. I feel so empty."

Closing his eyes, Whitney said, "Lana, I'm so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. I just had to leave. I couldn't stay and keep my sanity, too. I couldn't stay, but I never wanted to hurt you so much."

Looking directly into Whitney's blue eyes, Lana whispered, "But you're here, now. You love me. You need me."

Nodding, Whitney pledged, "Yes, Lana. Always, I swear."

Winding her left hand around Whitney's neck, Lana spoke in an even voice. "That's all I needed to hear."

Pulling Whitney down, Lana kissed him, her movements full of resignation. As their mouths parted long enough for them to breathe, Lana sighed, "I love you, too, Whitney."



CHAPTER NINE



I like you the way you are,

When we’re drivin’ in your car.

And you’re talking’ to me one-on-one,

But, you become,

Somebody else, ‘round everyone else,

- "Complicated" performed by Avril LaVigne

June 23, 2002

Main Street – Smallville, Kansas

In the very middle of Main Street, Lana and Clark stood in front of the Talon’s front doors. Shifting from foot to foot, Clark waited for Lana to open the front door to the Talon, hoping to get inside and set up for Chloe’s party before the guest of honor managed to crash it. To his chagrin, Clark was unable to impress this point upon Lana who moved slowly on what was normally her day off.

With her right hand, Lana reached around her head and dragged a lock of her hair out of her face. Patting her jacket pockets a few times, Lana searched for her business keys tiredly, her eyes almost shut from sleeplessness. Pulling out a big silver ring full of keys, Lana sighed wearily as she fumbled about for the right one. Finally finding the front door key, Lana unlocked the door. Pulling the door open, Lana pushed a button beneath the door handle to keep the lock ajar. Stepping aside, Lana opened the door wide, welcoming Clark to pass with a lazily executed sweep of her right arm.

"Would it kill you to show some enthusiasm?" asked Clark.

Lifting her lined eyes, Lana glared at Clark. "Y’know Clark, to be able to throw a surprise party for Chloe that she won’t find out about beforehand anyway is about as likely as Lex Luthor not knowing the exact moment the Tokyo stock exchange opened, in every time zone."

Crossing his arms, Clark said, "You say that like it’s a bad thing."

Throwing her hands up, Lana closed her eyes. With fluttering fingers, Lana brought her right hand up to the bridge of her nose and pinched hard. Opening her eyes wide, Lana blinked wildly while she spread her thumb and index finger under both eyes. Looking up at Clark, Lana smiled sarcastically. "This is as good as you’re gonna get from me on my day off."

Looking past Clark, Lana saw Justin and Chloe walk up the street. Cocking her head to the right, Lana fixated on the smug smile covering Chloe’s face. Nodding in their direction, Lana proclaimed, "Don’t forget that I told you so."

Turning around, Clark’s broad shoulders slumped. As he watched them come closer, Clark saw Justin spread his arms wide and shrug. Shaking his head, Clark waited until the duo was within shouting range before yelling, "Couldn’t resist, could you, Chloe?"

Walking faster, Chloe and Justin quickly closed the distance between them and Clark and Lana. Clasping her hands in front of her, Chloe twisted her hands this way then that as she explained, "It’s a sickness. I simply can’t help myself."

Looking at Lana’s unimpressed expression, Chloe observed, "You don’t seem surprised."

With a shrug, Lana yawned, "I’m not. Ask Clark. I knew you’d find out. Trying to throw a surprise party for you is well – not possible."

With concern, Chloe scrutinized Lana’s tired face. "Are you okay? You look like you’re going to fall asleep on your feet."

Before Lana could answer, a loud horn sounded. Looking down the street, Lana, Clark, Chloe and Justin saw a black Chevy Blazer they recognized as belonging to Walter Smythe, from the pharmacy down the street. Eyes riveted on the Blazer, they watched as the vehicle veered madly from one side of the road to the other. Without slowing down, the Blazer ran right through a red light. Careening through the vacant streets, the driver honked his horn and waved his hands in a desperate attempt to alert anyone nearby to the fact he no longer controlled his vehicle.

Glancing quickly at each other, Justin and Clark weighed their options. As the Blazer flew past them, Justin decided to act by grabbing Chloe by the shoulders and pushing her inside the Talon. Looking directly into her confused eyes, Justin ordered, "Go call 911."

Nodding, Chloe fled into the Talon’s back office.

On the sidewalk outside the Talon, Justin looked back and forth from Lana to Clark. Hoping all the mixed messages he’d received for the past several weeks were pointing in the right direction, Justin looked straight at Clark and said, "I can’t do anything. The car’s already too far away."

With confused eyes, Clark stared at Justin in disbelief. Dumbfounded, Clark watched as Justin glanced at Lana and shrugged, nodding his head for added effect. Finally, Clark looked at the swerving vehicle and decided to go for broke. Just before speeding away after the car, Clark directed, "Distract Chloe."

At Lana and Justin’s nodding heads, Clark vanished. Down the street, Clark seemed to magically reappear. Hunching down below the Blazer’s rear window, Clark grabbed onto to the Blazer’s trailer hitch and pulled hard. At first, the Blazer pulled Clark along. As Clark braced his feet, smoke rose from Clark’s sneakers. Finally, Clark’s heels hit a groove in the pavement and held fast. Bouncing a foot off the ground, the Blazer came to a screeching stop. With a forward jerk, the Blazer’s engine seized, coming to a grinding halt.

Running around to the front, Clark pulled the driver’s door open. Reaching across the shocked man, Clark grabbed the man’s seatbelt, ripping the strap in his zeal to undo the lock. Finally looking into the man’s vacant eyes, Clark recognized the very moment Mr. Smythe lost consciousness.

As Clark helped the driver from his car, Lana and Justin watched quietly from the sidewalk. Sliding his hands into his jacket pockets, Justin remarked, "No matter how many times I see that, it still blows my mind."

Remembering her promise to Clark, Lana tensed uncomfortably at Justin’s obvious attempt at conversation. Staring at the gentle way Clark set Mr. Smythe down on the street, Lana figured Clark wouldn’t have saved this man if he wasn’t okay with both Justin and she knowing his secret.

Without looking at Justin, Lana asked, "How long have you known?"

Glancing inside the Talon, Justin saw Chloe on the phone at the kitchen bar. Watching Clark again, Justin replied, "Not long. A couple months, maybe. You?"

Shrugging, Lana dragged her eyes away from Clark as she answered, "About the same. Does Chloe know?"

Turning toward Lana, Justin looked in her eyes and said, "About me? Yes. About Clark? No."

Suddenly, Chloe exited the Talon. Animated by crisis, Chloe announced, "An emergency crew is on its way. Where’s Clark?"

Looking down the street, Chloe saw the Chevy Blazer resting in the middle of the road. Pointing at the Blazer, Chloe exclaimed, "Whoa! The truck stopped. How did that happen?"

Glancing at Justin, Lana smiled wickedly. Standing beside Chloe, Lana pointed at the Blazer and remarked, "Y’know what? It’s the weirdest thing. The car just stopped. We were just standing here and suddenly the car came to a screeching halt like some invisible force grabbed a hold of it."

Recognition filled Chloe’s eyes. Quickly, Chloe recovered. Putting her impartial reporter mask in place, Chloe still couldn’t quite banish the pride-filled set to her jaw line. With her head held high, Chloe took a few steps back. Sliding an arm around Justin, Chloe patted Justin’s back as she mentioned, "Well, just another chapter in the strangeness that fills this town, I guess."

Barely suppressing a blast of laughter, Lana winked at Justin as she said, "I guess you’re right, Chloe."

A few minutes later, the local ambulance arrived. The EMTs jumped out and, with a slap on the back, dismissed Clark. Walking back to his friends, Clark didn’t know what to say when Chloe rushed forward and asked, "So, still playing hero, huh?"

Noting Clark’s wide-open eyes, Chloe reached out and rubbed Clark’s right arm. "Relax, Clark. I just mean how you ran out there to help that guy after the car stopped."

Confusion filled Clark’s face. Suddenly, Clark’s gaze wandered to Lana who appeared to the right of Chloe just in time. Intently, Clark listened as Lana explained, "Yes, Clark. Y’know, after the car came to a full stop all on its own."

Nodding dramatically, Clark said, "Oh, right. Well. What can I say? My secret identity is completely blown."

Slapping Clark on the arm, Chloe growled, "Smart ass. If I didn’t know better, I’d say Justin was rubbing off on you."

Wrapping an arm around Chloe’s shoulders, Justin asked, "Should I be insulted by that?"

"Not at all," replied Chloe.

Grabbing a hold of Justin’s jacket, Chloe pulled Justin forward. Leaning forward, Chloe whispered into Justin’s ear before pulling away with a naughty grin. Her eyes sparkling, Chloe asked, "Like that, huh?"

Returning Chloe’s Cheshire cat grin, Justin nodded as he arched his eyebrows suggestively. "Oh, yeah."

As Justin pulled Chloe into a deep kiss, Lana turned away. Pulling away from her friends, Lana retreated into the Talon, heading for the back office. Once inside her sanctuary, Lana shut the door softly. Walking across the room, Lana leaned back against her desk and placed her hands over her face. Rubbing her eyes until she saw stars, Lana remembered how stars shined brightly in Whitney’s eyes when he came by her house earlier that morning to say goodbye.

Just past three-thirty in the morning, the knock sounded on her front door. Already awake, knowing Whitney was on his way, Lana quickly opened the door. Dressed in full uniform just like the day he arrived, Whitney looked so much taller, older. Lana remembered being afraid to wrinkle him when he spread his arms for a hug, remembered how they both laughed over her unwillingness to crease his uniform as Whitney pulled her close.

"I’ll be home at Thanksgiving and I’ll write all the time," he promised.

Pulling away, Lana swore, "I’ll be fine. I’ll be waiting."

Whitney smiled at those words. "I’m glad."

Glowing brightly, Whitney leaned down and kissed Lana soundly. Pulling her closer still, Whitney hugged Lana tightly as he continued, "You’ll see. November’s not that far away."

At Whitney’s encouraging words, Lana pulled away, forcing a smile. Running her hands up and down the dark green lapels of Whitney’s uniform, Lana insisted, "Don’t worry about me. Just take care of yourself."

Blinking back tears, Lana remembered how Whitney smiled honestly as he replied, "I will. I have a reason to, now."

Rubbing her eyes again, Lana wiped away a stray tear or two. As she pushed away from her desk, Lana blinked several times rapidly. Stretching her face, Lana made a funny long "o" out of her mouth as she rubbed color into her cheeks. Closing her eyes one last time, Lana opened the door to her office to find her friends resting on couches in the far corner of the café.

Suddenly, the café’s doorbell rang. Looking over at the door, Lana felt her heart sink as Lex Luthor entered the Talon, his eyes intent on Clark’s happy face. Sadly, Lana watched as Clark jumped up to greet Lex, his affection barely hidden in the joy of his smile. Painfully, Lana watched how Clark’s eyes shined as Lex returned his smile.

Too late, Lana realized she was being watched. Glancing across the café, Lana looked directly into Chloe’s suspicious eyes. Shaking her head, Lana ignored the questions and accusations Chloe shot at her. Proudly, Lana walked up to the group and clapped her hands once, but loudly. Pushing her sadness away, Lana asked with a happy voice, "Okay, who’s ready to work?"

Glancing at Lex’s arched eyebrow, Lana smiled wider. With her hands up in self-defense, Lana said, "Just kidding."

Choosing to let her lead get away, Chloe crossed her arms over her chest and pouted, "Yeah, very funny. Well, I’ll have you know that you won’t have Chloe Sullivan to push around anymore."

Nestled onto the couch adjacent to Chloe’s, Clark leaned back, his left shoulder rubbing against Lex’s right shoulder as he said, "Things won’t be the same around here without you, Chloe."

Laughing sarcastically, Chloe remarked, "Yeah, how will you ever get by without your daily dose of freaky links in Smallville."

To Chloe’s right, Justin brought the back of his hand to his forehead. With dramatic pause, Justin said wistfully, "Well, I for one will be devastated by the loss, but I’ll get by."

Swatting Justin playfully, Chloe muttered, "Just keep it up, Mister. You’ll see. You’ll get yours."

His smile turning feral, Justin growled, "Promise?"

"Stop that," exclaimed Chloe, slapping Justin for real this time. Gracing Justin with a leer of her own, Chloe offered, "Later."

Rolling his eyes, Lex sank deeper into the sofa cushions. Turning his head to the right, Lex looked directly into Clark’s eyes and begged, "Somebody save me. I think these two may turn me diabetic, soon."

At Lex’s joke, everyone started laughing. In the throes of a giggling fit, Chloe still managed to respond. "Oh, you’re just jealous."

Expecting a clever comeback, Chloe waited for the verbal sparring she’d come to expect from Lex Luthor. None ever came. Sobering a bit, Chloe sat forward and stared at Lex’s well-learned mask.

Hoping to bait, Lex some other way, Chloe asked, "So how go the plans for world domination, Mr. Luthor?"

Returning Chloe’s gaze, Lex’s gaze was as steady as his voice. "Right on course, Miss Sullivan. Right on course."

Only Lana seemed to notice that Lex rubbed his left knee slowly against Clark’s right knee as he spoke. Hoping to distract herself, Lana sat down in a large chair next to Chloe. Turning sharply toward Chloe, Lana asked, "When do you leave for Metropolis?"

Tossing her head happily, Chloe looked back at Lana as she replied, "Tonight. I’m staying with my cousin, Lois. For real, this time. No really, Lo-Lo got an apartment for the summer. I’ll be camping al futon."

Smiling at Chloe fondly, Lana leaned forward and rubbed her left hand across Chloe’s right knee. "The best of luck to you, Chloe. Clark’s right. Smallville won’t be the same without you."

Responding with an honest smile, Chloe clasped her hands together and asked, "Thanks Lana, but you know how you could really make me feel loved?"

Laughing at the picture Chloe made, Lana replied with a question of her own, "How?"

Her face scrunching up like a little girls, Chloe begged, "Give me some free pie?"

Nodding at Chloe’s eager face, Lana stood up. Pointing at Chloe’s hopeful, upturned visage, Lana said, "You got it."

Glancing over at Lex’s serious expression, Lana raised her hands again. "Don’t worry. It’ll come out of my end of the profits."

Not responding to Lana’s comment, Lex just nodded once sharply. As Lana walked away, Lex turned back to the previous conversation. "Are you staying in Metropolis for the rest of the summer?"

Nodding, Chloe warned, "Yep. I’ll be back for the July 4th weekend though, so you all better be prepared."

Wrapping his arms around Chloe, Justin drew Chloe closer. Nuzzling Chloe’s left temple, Justin sighed, "You know I’ll be."

Pressing into Justin’s affectionate gesture, Chloe practically purred. Smiling broadly, Chloe cooed, "I know."

Reaching into his jacket, Lex pulled out his wallet. Flipping it open, Lex drew out a single, crisp one hundred dollar bill. Turning his head to the right, Lex placed the thin bill between two fingers and handed it to Clark. As Clark took the bill curiously, Lex smiled at Clark’s amazed expression "Clark, there’s a hundred dollars. Go buy me some insulin."

--<{()}>--

That Night

"Okay, hugs everybody!" yelled Chloe.

Standing beside her faded red Ford Falcon, Chloe twirled her keys on her right index finger. Spreading her arms wide, Chloe welcomed the hugs as they came pouring in from Pete, Clark, Lana and Justin. Nuzzling his face into the curve of Chloe’s neck, Pete promised, "I’ll be busy with the campaign but I’ll still make my way to Metropolis from time to time."

Wrapping her arms around Pete’s waist even tighter, Chloe said, "Thanks, Pete.

Pulling away from Pete, Chloe felt two strong arms surround her. Sighing loudly, Chloe sank into Clark’s firm embrace. Rubbing Chloe’s hair with his right hand, Clark said, "Drive carefully. You do have a full tank, right?"

Nodding against Clark’s chest, Chloe announced, "Yes. Yes. I swear between you and Justin I’ll end up a shut-in for sure."

Looking down at the ground, Clark backed away from Chloe and said softly, "Sorry, Chloe."

Tossing her dirty blond hair, Chloe swore, "Well, I for one refuse to live in fear."

Beside Clark, Lana watched the scene with growing impatience. Rushing forward, Lana pulled Chloe into a firm hug. With Chloe so close, Lana used the opportunity to whisper into Chloe left ear, "No, you’ll just make everyone around you live in fear for you."

Stepping back, Chloe barely got a chance to stare at Lana in stunned silence. Before she could think, Chloe was rushed into another, far more frantic grip. Clutching at Justin just as desperately as he did her, Chloe closed her eyes and let her forehead find that perfect place under Justin’s chin.

As Justin pulled away, his face was serious. With troubled eyes, Justin stood perfectly still for a moment before speaking in a soft, but steady voice, "Go on, tell me what you’re going to do."

Rolling her eyes, Chloe darted her eyes about. Her eyes landing on Lana’s serious face, Chloe bit her lip and raised her right hand in a three-finger Girl Scout salute. Shifting her gaze back to Justin, Chloe loudly recited, "I promise. I swear. Once I get in the car I will lock all my doors. I will drive nonstop to Metropolis. I will not pull over for any reason until I get to Lois’ apartment. Upon reaching her place, I will pull out my cell phone and call you. I will talk to you until I am safely tucked away inside my cousin’s apartment. Happy now?"

Not moving, Justin replied, "No, but it will have to do. Just remember one thing – Forget to call me and you’ll find me at your cousin’s front door, tomorrow morning. Okay?"

Against her will, an amused smile drew up Chloe’s lips. Nodding, Chloe reached out and hugged Justin close once more. "Okay. I promise."

Suddenly, Chloe felt two hands on her shoulders. Pulled away from Justin, Chloe’s eyes shot open until she glanced over her shoulder and saw Pete standing behind her. Smiling widely, Pete laughed as he whispered in her ear, "Quick. Make a run for it. Now, while you still can."

For a second, Chloe just returned Pete’s smile. Her eyes softened. As her eyes began to sting, Chloe turned around and pulled Pete into a long hug. Pulling away, Chloe slipped her car key off her finger. Clutching the cold metal firmly, Chloe sank the key into the lock and opened the car door. Sliding into the car, Chloe’s eyes glistened as she waved goodbye with the index and middle finger of her left hand.

The group waved back as they huddled on the sidewalk. Long after Chloe’s taillights disappeared in the distance, the quartet remained in place. Breaking the spell, Pete placed his right hand on Justin’s left arm, patting it softly. Shaking his head sadly, Pete gave Justin’s arm one last firm slap before shoving his fists into his letterman jacket and walking away.

Placing just her fingertips on Justin’s elbow, Lana asked, "Are you going to be, okay? Is there anything you need?"

Flashing a lop-sided grin, Justin shook his head. "Nah, I’m cool. Just tired."

Placing her left hand on Justin’s cheek, Lana sighed, "No, you’re not. It’s okay. Come by the Talon anytime you need to talk, alright?"

Bobbing his head up and down, Justin promised Lana he would. With a comforting squeeze of Justin’s elbow, Lana turned away. Waving goodnight to Clark, Lana made sure the Talon doors were locked before walking down the street to her Aunt’s Ford Pick-up.

Staring after Lana, Justin sighed, "She’s amazing."

"Yeah," replied Clark.

Looking at Clark, Justin shrugged. "Too bad you waited too long, Clark. You could have had a piece of that."

His mouth a slim, straight line, Clark said, "Yeah. I guess so."

Patting Clark on the shoulder, Justin yawned, "Well, it’s late and it’s been one hell of a roller coaster day. I can’t wait to hit my pillow. I’ll see you later, dude."

Turning away, Justin yawned again as he waved at Lex who was standing across the street. "See ya around, Lex."

Leaned against his silver Porsche, Lex uncrossed one of his arms and waved once at Justin. Pushing away from the car, Lex crossed his arms again as he waited for Clark to cross the street. Watching Clark’s sluggish movements, Lex frowned at Clark’s slumping shoulders. Once Clark was within a foot of Lex, Lex asked, "You okay?"

Without nodding, Clark replied, "I will be, I guess."

Reaching over to the door handle on the passenger side, Lex opened the car door. Placing a steady hand on Clark’s bicep, Lex guided Clark into the Porsche. "Come on, I’ll take you home."

Before Lex could slam the door shut, Clark placed his left hand on the window. "Looking into Lex’s concerned eyes, Clark begged, "Not yet. Let’s just drive around for a while, please Lex."

Nodding, Lex replied, "Okay, but I’m getting you home at some point tonight."

Taking his hand off the glass, Clark sat back and whispered, "Yeah, okay."

Without speaking, Lex softly shut Clark’s door. Swiftly, Lex walked around the front of the car. Tugging the driver side door open, Lex slid into the Porsche. Turning on the engine, Lex pulled out onto the parkway. Soon, they left Main Street and the rest of Downtown Smallville behind. In silence, they drove the back roads where the dark night was pitch black. Every now and then, Lex glanced to the right and noticed how Clark peered quietly out the passenger side window. Releasing his gearshift, Lex glided his hand over the center console and onto Clark’s thigh. Rubbing Clark’s thigh with long strokes, Lex offered, "She will be back, you know."

Lazily, Clark flung his head to the left. Staring at Lex with dead eyes, Clark said, "I know. It’s just I hate saying goodbye to people. I always have."

Squeezing Clark’s thigh, Lex kept an eye on the road as he whispered, "Saying goodbye is necessary sometimes, Clark but not this time. In France, they say, ‘Au revoir.’ It means, ‘Until I see you again.’ That’s what this is, Clark. Au revoir. Not goodbye."

Staring at Lex, Clark felt emotion fill his features. As his lips bent upward, Clark sighed, "Au revoir? I like that. Yeah. Au revoir."

Furrowing his forehead, Lex narrowed his eyes. "You have a decent accent, Clark. Have you taken French in school?"

Shrugging, Clark replied, "No. I just copied you."

Smiling, Lex squeezed Clark’s thigh tighter this time. "Well, that’s a cute trick. Now, I just need to teach you some bad words. Yes, to hear that would be very interesting. Very interesting, indeed."

Laughing under his breath, Clark reached down and grabbed Lex’s hand. Rolling his thumb over the back of Lex’s hand, Clark ordered, "Pull over, Lex."

Without looking at Clark, Lex pulled his hand away from Clark. Flexing his right hand, Lex placed it on the gearshift and downshifted to park once he successfully pulled off to the side of the road. Letting go of the gearshift, Lex turned the ignition switch toward himself, shutting off the engine.

Shifting in his seat, Lex felt Clark’s hand on his neck. Firm and in control, Lex let Clark guide him through the darkness. As their lips touched, sliding effortlessly over each other, Lex slid his hands forward. Finding Clark’s hips, Lex gripped them for a moment, squeezing hard before sliding his hands up Clark’s flanks. Rubbing his palms over Clark’s firm flesh, Lex grazed his palms over Clark’s nipples smiling against the moans his ministrations produced. Reaching up even further, Lex’s long, slender fingers found their way into Clark’s hair. Rolling his hands into fists, Lex slammed Clark’s mouth against his own, urging Clark’s lips to open.

As Lex’s tongue danced into his mouth, Clark felt strange. His hands trembled and his head swam. Acting on their own, Clark’s hands slid up Lex’s chest until they were clasped behind Lex’s neck. Pressing his thumbs against Lex’s jaw line, Clark locked Lex’s head in place. Pulling back from Lex’s kisses, Clark moaned when he touched his forehead to Lex’s forehead. At the contact point, Clark felt a jolt of energy. Colors flashed in his eyes. The sensation spread through him until his whole body felt electric. Wanting more, Clark pressed harder against the glorious sensations.

"Clark?" asked Lex, his voice strained.

"Shh," whispered Clark as he dug his fingers deeper into Lex’s neck.

"Clark? As nice as this is, my forehead’s starting to hurt," said Lex, with a very matter of fact manner.

Immediately, Clark released his hold. Pulling away, Lex could practically hear Clark scrambling away. Taking a deep breath, Lex reached over to the dash on the left side of the steering wheel and pushed on the interior light. Blinking against the brightness, Lex squinted at Clark who just sat there looking slightly uncomfortable. Clearing his throat, Lex swallowed once before asking, "Clark, what was that?"

Touching his forehead, Clark rubbed at the still tingling flesh of his forehead with his right hand. Looking over at Lex, Clark asked, "Don’t you have a sensitive spot on the center of your forehead?"

Mimicking Clark, Lex raised his left hand and lightly touched his fingertips to his forehead. "No."

Looking at the light reflecting off the windshield, Clark explained, "It felt electric to me. It didn’t bother you, did it?"

Reaching out, Lex placed his right hand against the back of Clark’s neck. Pulling Clark over, Lex waited until Clark was looking directly at him. "It’s fine. Just don’t press so hard next time, understand?"

"Are you sure you don’t mind?" asked Clark warily.

Waving Clark’s fears off with a half-hearted wave of his left hand, Lex said, "Nah. Here, let’s walk a bit, Clark."

With a final rub, Lex let go of Clark’s neck. With a final smile, Lex pulled the light switch out, thrusting them both once again into the slick darkness. Still blinded by the light of a moment ago, Lex managed to feel his way around eventually wrapping his hand around the door handle. With a satisfactory tug on the handle, Lex pressed his shoulder against the leather interior and pushed the door open.

After a couple minutes, Lex’s eyes adjusted to the dark. Overhead the moon shone brightly, creating just enough light for Lex to make out a faint outline of Clark’s profile. Walking over to Clark, Lex knew Clark wasn’t cold, but could feel Clark’s body shaking nonetheless. Drawing Clark closer to him, Lex wrapped his arms around Clark, trapping Clark’s arms under his own. Feeling the tension straining against the muscles pressed against him, Lex spoke gently, "You don’t ever have to hide from me, Clark. You could never tell me anything that would make me think differently of you."

Shaking his head, Clark tensed even more. "Don’t say that. Everybody has something they can’t accept."

Chuckling softly, Lex replied, "Maybe, but everybody makes exceptions, too."

Reaching up, Lex brushed his lips chastely against Clark’s lips. Pulling back by mere millimeters, Lex granted a dry brush of skin and nothing more. His breath, moist and warm, beckoned to Clark and soon, Clark returned its call. Bowing his head, Clark licked his lips with a broad stroke of his tongue before kissing Lex firmly.

With a determined worry of Clark’s lower lip, Lex pulled away. Taking Clark’s hand in his own, Lex pulled Clark over to a tree. Pausing long enough to take off his light business trench, Lex spread the garment on the ground and laid down on it. Reaching out to Clark, Lex was rewarded with the pleasing pressure of Clark’s back against his chest. They shifted a bit until they were as comfortable as they could be on the hard ground.

Wiggling a little in Lex’s embrace, Clark leaned his head back. Letting his neck rest, Clark allowed his head to fall back on Lex’s right shoulder. Glancing over at Lex’s chiseled jaw and swollen lips, Clark said, "I hope we’re not ruining your coat."

Shrugging, Lex reached up with his right hand and buried his fingers into Clark’s black hair. "Doesn’t matter. I can always buy another."

Pulling Clark’s head away with a tug of hair, Lex looked down at Clark’s face and asked, "Are you ready for tomorrow?"

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yeah. It’s going to be weird working for someone other than my parents, though."

Smiling, Lex played with Clark’s hair as he said, "Tell me about it."

Looking up at Lex with narrow eyes, Clark asked, "What do you mean? You work for your Father."

Smug smile tugging at his lips, Lex answered, "Not anymore."

Sitting forward, Clark twisted toward Lex. The weight of his body braced on his left hip, Clark inquired, "What?"

Laughing quietly, Lex replied, "Part of the reason I was held up in Metropolis. I got the Board of Directors to approve the buy-out. Afterwards, I incorporated."

"Excuse me?" asked Clark as he laughed.

Shrugging with highly raised shoulders, Lex answered, "Yeah, technically, I still work for LuthorCorp, especially since my Father’s been in the hospital, but now, I also work for myself. Well, to be really technical, I work for LexCorp."

Smiling widely in response to the wide smile gracing Lex’s face, Clark echoed, "LexCorp?"

Shrugging again, but not as extremely as before, Lex nonchalantly replied, "Hey, What can I say? Maybe, your Father’s right. Maybe the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree."

Frowning deeply, Clark insisted, "Don’t say that."

Letting out a sarcastic sigh, Lex retorted, "Why not?"

"Because it isn’t true. You’re not Lionel, Lex," argued Clark.

Looking away, Lex let out an airy laugh laced with sadness. "Oh Clark, Lionel wasn’t Lionel once."

Narrowing his eyes, Clark leaned forward and asked, "Why are you defending him?"

Looking around the empty field and the even emptier night, Lex said, "Who else is here to do it?

Drawing his gaze back to Clark, Lex whispered, "I simply don’t like my Father, Clark. Understand?"

Nodding slowly, Clark replied, "Yeah, I get it."

Smiling honestly, Lex rubbed his right hand on Clark’s shoulder. "Come on, let’s get you home. Can’t have you falling asleep at your desk on your first day."

Shrugging, Clark pushed his feet under him. Making his way to his feet, Clark slapped the wrinkles from his clothes. "Not much fear of that."

Suspiciously, Lex leered at Clark. "Oh yeah?"

Recovering from the slip, Clark rushed out an answer. "Well, I can keep ticking on very little fuel. I am sixteen, after all."

Wrapping an arm around Clark’s back, Lex guided Clark back to the Porsche. Along the way, Lex shook his head and sighed, "Don’t remind me, Clark. Still, come on, before your Mother worries."

--<{()}>--

June 24, 2002

Luthor Castle

The click clack of Sheila’s black, one-inch pumps echoed through the halls. Behind her, Clark watched as her dirty blond, curly hair bounced, straining to maintain the French roll into which Sheila had twisted it. Walking quickly, Clark followed Sheila’s efficient form. Distracted by the click clack, the hair and the way light glittered off of Sheila’s well-placed touches of gold, Clark only caught the tail end of the words Sheila was currently speaking. "…how to type, don’t you?"

Shaking his head a little, Clark asked, "Excuse me?"

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Sheila took a step closer to Clark. Hugging the file folders in her arms closer to her chest, Sheila repeated, "I said, ‘Mr. Luthor wants you to start in the research department.’ I then asked, ‘You do know how to type, don’t you?’"

Nodding once, Clark replied, "Yes, ma’am."

"Good." Thrusting her chin higher, Sheila turned around. As she walked away, Sheila motioned with a quick wave of her right hand for Clark to follow. Once Clark was within earshot, Sheila continued, "You’ve been assigned a workstation."

A couple feet later, Sheila stopped in front of a modern computer desk. Walking around the desk, Sheila placed her files down long enough to bend over and flick on the computer. While Sheila and Clark waited for the network to buzz to life, Sheila pointed out, "This is where you will do your work. I’ve shown you once, so you’re expected to know from here on out. Is that clear?"

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yes, ma’am."

"Good." Reaching into her navy blue jacket pocket, Sheila pulled out two cards. Handing them over to Clark, Sheila continued, "Here are your passwords. Remember, to login the second you get to your station. Payroll determines your pay by your login and log-out times. If you work six hours, you get a thirty-minute lunch and a twenty-minute break. If you work eight hours then you get a second twenty-minute break. For today, a special payroll slip will be drawn up to account for your orientation time, but the login rules will be enforced starting tomorrow. Is that clear?"

Nodding vaguely, Clark replied, "Yes, ma’am."

"Good." Pulling out Clark’s chair, Sheila motioned cordially for Clark to take a seat. As Clark sat down, Sheila continued, "Now, you login and you logout each time you leave your desk. If you go to lunch, on a break or leave for the day, you must logout as you leave and log back in when you return. The only time this does not apply is when you step away from your desk to do work. At those times you need to lock your screen. Is that clear?"

Nodding while his head spun, Clark replied, "Yes, ma’am."

"Good." Taking a step back, Sheila asked, "Do you have any questions?"

Nodding eagerly, Clark asked, "Yeah. Is Lex here, today?"

This time, Sheila didn’t resist rolling her eyes. Sighing loudly, Sheila leaned forward, placing her right hand on the desk. Propping her weight on the ball of hand, Sheila leaned toward Clark until Clark was forced to lean back against the back of his chair to avoid being touched by her. Her pale blue eyes flashed as her face stopped less than an inch from Clark’s face. "Let me make something perfectly clear, Mr. Kent. You are not on a social call today. You are being paid for your time and you will be expected to work."

Her point made, Sheila stood up poker straight. Looking down on Clark, Sheila waited for some sign that Clark understood her.

Slowly, sitting forward, Clark said, "I understand that, Sheila but could you answer my question anyway?"

With a straight face, Sheila nodded and replied, "Certainly. Mr. Luthor is in his office. Is there anything else?"

Shaking his head, Clark answered, "No."

"Good." Picking up her files, Sheila checked to make sure she wasn’t forgetting anything. Looking back at Clark, Sheila suppressed a laugh at the sight of Clark’s fidgeting hands. Grinning wickedly, Sheila gave her final set of instructions, "Stay here. Roland Decker will be here shortly to show you how to use the computer systems."

Shifting his eyes about nervously, Clark mumbled, "Thanks, Sheila."

Pursing her lips into a bitter smile, Sheila replied, "You’re very welcome. Good day, Mr. Kent."

Rigid without movement, Clark stared at Sheila. Following her departing form, Clark felt an almost unnatural need to go run to her and beg her to stay. Now, Sheila could scare any man, but at least she was familiar. Glancing about nervously, Clark became aware of the people at nearby desks who stared at him curiously and suspiciously. Forcing a tiny smile, Clark offered a tiny wave of his hand. Just as Clark was hoping a hole would open up and swallow him alive, a short, balding man appeared to his left.

"I’m Roland Decker. I see you got the compulsory introduction by the iron petticoat over there."

Taking Roland’s extended hand, it took a second for Clark to realize about whom Roland was talking. Once realization dawned in Clark’s eyes, Clark laughed under his breath. Sucking in his bottom lip, Clark watched as Roland pulled a chair up. As Roland played with the mouse on Clark’s desk, Clark mused, 'Well, this seems like it’s going to be okay.'

The rest of the morning, Clark didn’t think much at all. Or rather, Clark thought too much to the point it left him muddled and confused. Clark considered himself a smart guy, but he never tried to learn so much in such a short span of time before. Clark was used to computers but the high-speed connection and the LuthorCorp’s optical imaging system alone left Clark dizzy. Luckily, Clark kept up admirably, managing to impress Roland a couple times. By noon, Clark understood the systems fairly well and was more than ready for a break.

Logging out for lunch, Clark decided to take Roland’s advice and go find something distracting. Walking past Sheila’s desk, Clark barely glanced at her as he passed her. Opening Lex’s door, Clark entered the well-decorated, completely restored office. Looking around, Clark checked out the carpentry work and fresh paintjob as he quietly closed the office door.

Sitting at his desk, Lex didn’t even look up when Clark entered the room. Instead, he continued to type furiously, practically punching the keys on his laptop. Even after Clark sank down into one of the upholstered chairs, Lex continued to stare at the computer screen before him. Suddenly, Lex snaked out a hand and picked up his phone. Pushing speed dial#3, Lex barked, "Sheila, get Austin in here."

As he slammed the phone down, Lex finally noticed Clark sitting across from him. Looking up with a perplexed expression, Lex asked, "Is there something I can help you with, Clark?"

Shrugging, Clark answered, "Umm. No. Just wanted to see how you’re doing."

"I’m very busy, Clark. The end of the fiscal year is in eight days," offered Lex, by way of an explanation.

At that moment, Sheila and a well-manicured gentleman entered Lex’s office. Dismissing Clark altogether, Lex brought his intense gaze to bear on the well-dressed man standing to the right of his desk. "Austin, justify March and April’s numbers to me because they are not kosher with the raw data."

Nodding, Austin quickly took the laptop Sheila offered him. As Sheila set up the network cables, Austin said, "Of course. As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

Efficient as always, Sheila finished her task quickly. Turning the laptop toward Austin, Sheila stepped aside as Austin bent over and started pulling up his files. Her attention on Lex, Sheila reached out a hand, taking the file Lex handed to her before being asked.

"Proofread this," ordered Lex.

Nodding cordially, Sheila replied, "As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

Suddenly, Lex looked straight ahead at Clark. "Is there something you need, Clark?"

Wincing from the harsh edge of Lex’s voice, Clark replied, "I guess not."

Standing up, Clark looked up to see a set of satisfied, victorious, pale blue eyes. Running his eyes over Sheila’s smug smile, Clark felt his pride roar to life again, angry at being kicked away, especially in front of her.

--<{()}>--

5:30 p.m.

Kent Barn

Pulling up the drive, Lex turned off the engine of his black Ferrari Spyder. Jumping from the car, Lex walked with a determined pace up to the Kent barn and opened the door. Bounding up the stairs to the loft, Lex stopped short at the sight of Clark sulking on his second-hand couch. Slapping his right hand on the wooden handrail, Lex garnered Clark’s attention. "Hey Clark! What happened? I thought we were meeting after you got off work."

Shifting down even further into the couch, Clark stretched his long legs out, placing them on the makeshift coffee table made from wooden crates. Looking up at Lex, Clark answered, "You were busy."

Unbuttoning his jacket, Lex sat down beside Clark. "Well, yeah, at noon. Sure, in a couple days, I’m going to need to pull long hours to get the accounts ready for the end of fiscal year, but today was your first day. I mean I had Sheila clear my calendar and everything."

Thrusting his hands into the pockets of his slacks, Clark mumbled, "Sorry to cause so much trouble."

Turning toward Clark, Lex placed his elbows on his thighs. Clasping his hands in front of him, Lex asked in a calm, steady voice, "Clark, what is this all about?"

"I saw a very different you, today Lex. Quite frankly, I didn’t like the other Lex," replied Clark.

Squinting, Lex inquired in an exaggerated voice, "What are you talking about?"

Pulling his left hand from his pocket, Clark pressed his fingertips to his forehead. "You really don’t get it, do you?"

Sitting up, Clark asked, "Answer me this – What is Sheila’s favorite color?"

Staring hard at Clark, Lex replied, "I haven’t the foggiest. Why? You want to buy her something?"

"That’s not the point, Lex," insisted Clark.

"Then, what is the point, Clark?" asked Lex, his voice filling with resentment.

Punctuating his point with a timely pounding of his fist against his thigh, Clark argued, "The point is that you don’t see your employees as real people. We’re just things that do your bidding with an ‘as you wish.’"

Laughing bitterly, Lex quipped, "God Clark, you’ve only worked for me for one day. It usually takes people a few weeks to figure that out."

His pride growling again at Lex’s joke, Clark snapped, "This isn’t funny, Lex."

Suddenly sober, Lex agreed, "No, it isn’t. It isn’t funny, at all. You’re right, but you need to understand something, Clark. Business is neither for the timid nor the weak. Business is work. Everyday, I work hard and I expect my employees to do the same. As for not knowing Sheila’s favorite color - I don’t have the time to know my employees intimately. Truth is, I’m not their friend. I’m their boss. I care about what they do from the moment they log in to the moment before they turn off their computers because I own that time. I paid for it. It belongs to me."

"So that gives you the right to treat people anyway you want?" asked Clark.

Sitting up straighter, Lex answered, "Yes, it does. If my employees don’t like the way I treat them, then by all means, they should find employment elsewhere."

A moment of stunned silence filled the space between. Recovering, Clark asserted, "In this town, that’s not really an option."

Looking away, Lex said, "Quite frankly, too bad, so sad."

Narrowing his eyes again, Clark said, "I thought you cared about this town."

As he reached out his right hand to touch the Clark’s left temple, Lex replied, "I care about you, Clark."

Recoiling from Lex’s touch, Clark sat speechless.

Drawing his hand back, Lex slowly rose to his feet. Looking down at Clark, Lex stated coldly, "Maybe, you’re just too young to understand all of this, Clark. Maybe, once you’ve grown up, things will be different."

A new dose of anger filled Clark. Afraid to let the fury out, Clark sat silently, drilling his eyes into Lex’s well-practiced mask.

Realizing he wasn’t going to get a response, Lex buttoned his jacket. "Fine. I’ll show myself out."

Stomping down the stairs, Lex charged out the barn. Practically colliding head on with Jonathon Kent, Lex flashed angry eyes at Jonathon before crossing over to his Ferrari. Jerking the door open, Lex slid into car quickly, slamming the door shut. Digging his tires into the gravel, Lex sped from the driveway without a backwards glance.

Confused but angry just out of spite, Jonathon entered the barn. Heading straight for the loft, Jonathon found Clark sitting on the couch, his hands digging into his hair. Patting Clark lightly on the shoulder, Jonathon asked, "Clark? Son, is everything alright?"

For a second, Clark looked up at his Dad with a face that would talk. It was so natural for Clark to want to speak through a problem with his Father. Upon seeing the anger in his Father’s face, Clark knew that talking to his Father was not possible. All Clark could manage was a strangled, "Dad…"

Squeezing Clark’s left shoulder, Jonathon asked, "Is it Lex? Did Lex do something?"

Groaning quietly, Clark shook his head as he said, "Dad, I can’t talk to you about this."

Exhaling loudly, Jonathon stepped back. Several seconds passed where Jonathon just stood and stared at his son. On Jonathon’s face were helpless eyes and a severe frown. Hanging by his thigh, Jonathon’s right hand curled tightly into a fist. Nodding even though Clark wasn’t looking at him, Jonathon whispered, "Fine, son. Don’t stay out here too long."

Nodding absently, Clark replied as his Father walked away. "Okay."

--<{()}>--

July 2, 2002

Kent Farm

Clark’s black hair glistened, still wet from the shower. Buttoning his shirt, Clark came down the stairs fast. As he reached the kitchen, Martha handed Clark a few pieces of dry toast. Snatching them up, Clark stuffed the bread into his mouth as he fumbled with his cuffs. Finally finished, Clark grabbed the bread with his right hand as he took a large bite out of all three slices at once.

Shaking her head, Martha smiled despite herself. As Clark continued to chomp down the bread, Martha poured a glass of milk. After Clark stuffed the last piece of bread into his mouth, Martha handed the full tumbler of milk to Clark. Taking it wordlessly, Clark kicked it back, swallowing it in four large gulps. Lowering the glass, Clark handed it back to his Mother as he wiped his milk mustache away with the back of his hand.

"Thanks, Mom," said Clark.

Taking the glass, Martha leaned over and placed it into the waiting sink full of hot, soapy water. "No problem. It’s part of the ‘Mom’ job description."

Laughing against his will, Clark nodded before heading for the door. As he reached the door, Martha called out from behind him, "Have you seen Lex, lately?"

Stopping in mid-step, Clark swallowed three times before saying, "Not really."

Clark felt his Mother take several steps toward him. Not looking at his Mother, Clark listened as she asked, "Did something happen between you two?"

Turning around swiftly, Clark stared at his Mother. Open-mouthed, Clark almost started to say something a dozen times. Each time, Clark just couldn’t go through with it. Looking down at the floor, Clark thought, ‘This is so much worse than Dad.’ Looking back at his Mother’s concerned face, Clark told the truth, "We just had a fight."

Looking up at Clark through her eyelashes, Martha asked, "If you don’t mind me asking, what about?"

Clark couldn’t look at his Mother. He couldn’t see her face. Not now. Turning away, Clark felt her hand on his chin as she pulled him back. Looking into Martha’s green eyes, Clark answered, "It’s kind of personal, Mom."

Martha’s eyes widened at Clark’s response. Inhaling sharply, Martha observed, "I never thought there would be something you couldn’t tell me."

Nodding, Clark said, "I’m sorry, Mom. Now, I’ve got to go."

"Clark, stop," cried Martha.

As Clark turned back to her, Martha stepped forward and said, "I almost forgot. I need you to make some deliveries to the Talon today. Do you think you can get to it during your lunch hour?"

Glancing over his shoulder, Clark replied, "Yeah, no problem, but I really need to go now."

"Of course."

--<{()}>--

11:55 a.m.

Luthor Castle

Checking his e-mail, Clark noted the ten new referrals. Sighing loudly, Clark reminded himself that even he couldn’t do ten projects in the next five minutes. Closing down his optical program, Clark prepared to logout for lunch when the phone on his desk rang. Groaning inwardly, Clark answered the call, "LuthorCorp, Research Department, this is Clark, how can I help you?"

"Clark, could you come to my office?" said the familiar voice on the other end of the phone.

"Of course," replied Clark.

Locking his screen, Clark pushed away from his desk with a heavy sigh. Standing up, Clark didn’t rush to Lex’s office. Instead, he hung back, not looking forward to seeing Sheila’s smug face again. As he reached the double doors leading to Lex’s office, Sheila glanced up at Clark and said, "Just go right in, Mr. Kent."

Nodding, Clark opened one of the doors and walked inside. For a change, Lex wasn’t sitting behind his desk. This time, Lex stood in front of his desk with his arms crossed. Crossing the room, Clark clutched the back of one of Lex’s chairs as Lex said, "Clark, we need to talk."

Nodding, Clark held the seat back tighter. "Is there something wrong with my performance?"

"This isn’t about work, Clark," replied Lex.

"Really. Well, in that case, can this wait? I’ve got errands I need to run for my Mother."

Slipping his hands into his sports coat, Lex nodded. "Clark, I don’t want to leave things hanging like they have been."

Giving Lex a once over, Clark argued, "Lex, you’ve waited this long. You can wait until after work, tonight."

Nodding, Lex looked at Clark. "Sure."

Walking back to the double doors, Clark pulled open the same side he used before. Leaving the office, Clark hurried back to his desk to logout.

--<{()}>--

12:15 p.m.

Talon Café

"Hey Clark, thanks for doing this during your lunch break," said Lana.

Smiling brightly, Lana helped Clark quickly unload the pies. One by one, they passed each other as they placed a dozen assorted apple, cherry and rhubarb pies in Lana’s dessert case. After the last pie was placed on the wire rack, Lana reached into her pocket and gave Clark $200 dollars. "Clark, thank your Mother for the rush order. I swear nothing sells like your Mother’s pies. I turned around yesterday morning and all I had was half an apple pie. I almost fainted."

Laughing half-heartedly, Clark slipped the money into his pockets. Noting Clark’s sad state, Lana asked, "Everything okay, Clark?"

Leaning against the dessert case, Clark answered, "It’s me and Lex. We’ve been having problems."

Lana couldn’t help the happy flip-flop that fluttered in her stomach. "Did you two break up?"

"No. Not officially though I think that’s going to happen this afternoon," sighed Clark.

Biting her lip, Lana asked, "Is that what you want? To break up with him?"

Shaking his head, Clark said, "No."

Inside, Lana felt her hopes dash away. As if her heart was breaking all over again, Lana felt the deep pit in her heart dig a little deeper down. Looking at Clark’s hopeless face, Lana made a decision. She couldn’t have Clark. She knew that now, but she could be what he needed her to be – His friend. Licking her lips, Lana leaned forward and asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Nodding, Clark looked into Lana’s eyes. "Yeah. I used to talk about all my problems with my parents. I kept secrets from everyone, but them. Growing up, I was so different from everybody else. I couldn’t participate in simple things like, little league. When I’d get lonely, I only had my parents to turn to. Now, I just feel lost. It’s so strange to have a problem I can’t talk to my parents about. Before if I had a problem, the problem usually stemmed from my powers. That made them the only ones I could talk to. Now, I can’t talk to them because this doesn’t have anything to do with my powers or being an alien."

Touching Clark’s hand, Lana pushed aside her lonely heart and offered, "You can tell me, Clark. You can share your problems with me. I won’t mind and I won’t tell."

Taking a hold of Lana’s hand, Clark squeezed the delicate fingers gently. "Thanks. Y’know now, you’re the only one who knows everything."

Rubbing her thumb over Clark’s fingers, Lana stated, "You haven’t told, Lex."

"I can’t. You and Justin. Really, I never intended for either of you to find out," said Clark as he searched Lana’s face for any evidence that his last statement hurt her feelings.

"It’s okay, Clark. I understand," whispered Lana. Looking at their clutched hands, Lana asked, "So, what’s the matter with you and Lex?"

"Last week, while at work I tried to go visit Lex. Well, he acted very strange, not at all like the person I thought I knew. He acted like I was a nuisance, something bothering him. Since then, I see how he treats his employees. He’s very strict. He’s not very accommodating and I don’t think he’s ever heard the term open-door policy. It made me realize there are two Lex’s – One I like and one I don’t."

Setting her jaw rigidly, Lana looked up at Clark with an arched brow. "You do realize that you’re not there to play games, right Clark?"

"Yeah," answered Clark, defensively.

Sighing, Lana said, "Look, people are different where business is concerned. In this, Lex is no different from anyone else."

"You’re not different," insisted Clark.

"Oh yes, I am. You’ve just never worked for me and that one night you volunteered does not count."

Shrugging, Clark said, "It’s not just me. Lex treats everyone coldly."

Standing up, Clark pulled his hand away from Lana. Holding his right hand level with his eye and his left hand level with his waist, Clark explained, "It’s like he’s up here and the rest of us are down here."

Bringing his right arm down, Clark continued, "When it’s just him and me, Lex is completely different. Even with you guys, Lex is just different. It makes me wonder which Lex is the real one."

Sighing very loudly, Lana said, "Clark, I think I know what you’re talking about. I’ve mostly dealt with business Lex. I’m used to him, but at your birthday party, I saw a different side to Lex. Now, here’s the funny thing. Lex is both. He needs to be. Just like I had to play hardball with the coffee shop that one time. That’s not me. I don’t like to play dirty, but I did it. Business makes you tougher, Clark. You either get a thick skin or you fail."

Nodding, Clark said, "You’re right."

Rubbing Lana’s right shoulder, Clark whispered, "Thanks for knocking some sense into me."

Smiling up at Clark, Lana replied, "What are friends for?"

--<{()}>--

5:10 p.m.

Luther Castle

"I was beginning to think I got stood up again," mentioned Lex as Clark walked into his office.

"Sorry, last minute hold up," said Clark.

Crossing the room, Lex and Clark walked toward each other. Stopping a few feet from each other, Lex started, "Look Clark, I -"

Interrupting, Clark quickly said, "Lex. I get it. You could say I grew up a little bit and realized you’re one person here and you’re another person when you’re with me."

His eyes widening, Lex agreed, "That’s it, exactly."

"Well, don’t go thinking I’m a genius or something. A good friend knocked some sense into me," explained Clark.

Standing a little closer now, Clark and Lex relaxed. For the first time in over a week, they felt comfortable in each other’s company. Looking into Lex’s eyes, Clark asked, "So what have you been up to?"

"The end of fiscal year," answered Lex, laughing nervously as the words left his mouth.

"Fiscal year?" asked Clark.

"Yeah. The end of fiscal year is an unyielding master, Clark. I’ve been pulling fourteen hour days just to get the accounting done, but now, the plant is officially free of LuthorCorp."

Clark’s eyes grew large. "Are you serious?’

Nodding proudly, Lex answered, "Yeah. I’m officially my own man."

"That’s great, Lex," said Clark.

Shifting his weight from his right leg to his left leg, Lex asked, "So, how’s work going other than having an old bastard for a boss?"

Laughing openly, Clark replied, "Really well. It’s different, but I’m liking it. I think I could really get into research. Now if I could just get my boss to relax a little bit, everything would be perfect."

On the verge of laughter, Lex shook his head. "Not gonna happen. I know this guy pretty well and he likes to hold the whip a little high."

Leering at Lex, Clark flashed an evil grin, "Well, that’s new. You never told me you were into leather play."

Shocked into silence, it took several seconds for Lex to recover enough to respond. "Where did you learn about leather play?"

Cocking his head to the right, Clark answered, "Hello? My parents have a computer with internet access."

"Yeah, in their kitchen," retorted Lex. Shaking his head, Lex’s posture changed from disbelief to curiosity. Stroking his chin, Lex continued, "Wow! That’s a mental picture."

Putting his hands up, Clark exclaimed, "Don’t tell me! I have to eat on that table."

Laughing out loud, Lex leaned forward. Wrapping his left hand around Clark’s neck, Lex pulled Clark down for a long, soothing kiss. Pressing harder against Clark’s neck, Lex kissed Clark forcefully while he wrapped his right arm around Clark’s waist. Soon, Lex felt Clark’s arms wind around him, as well.

Pulling away from Clark’s kiss, Lex placed his head on Clark’s shoulder. Drawing Clark into a tight embrace, Lex nuzzled Clark’s throat as he whispered, "God, I’ve missed you."

Rubbing his chin against the rounded smoothness of Lex’s skull, Clark whispered, "Me, too."



CHAPTER TEN: Mea Culpa


Please tell me you will remember,
No matter how much I do wrong,
That I had the best of intentions all along.
- "Best Of Intentions" performed by Travis Tritt



July 4, 2002

Kent Farm



"Well, at least have some toast," insisted Martha.

Shaking his head, Clark bit back a sigh at Martha's latest attempt to force feed him. Folding an old quilt, Clark placed the fluffy square of cotton on the table next to a set of flashlights, three large pillows and a large bottle of bug repelling sunscreen.

As Martha pranced about him like a flustered hen, Clark checked his watch and strained his hearing for the slightest sign of Lex's car. After his search proved fruitless, Clark said, "Mom, I already told you that Lana and Lex donated food from the Talon for the occasion."

Smiling as she shrugged, Martha pouted, "Yeah sure, they did, but they didn't know how much you like to eat when they offered. So, before you start eating and end up leaving nothing for anyone else, why don't you let me fix you some eggs."

"Mom. No. I'm capable of controlling myself. You aught to know that by know," replied Clark.

Rolling her eyes, Martha assured, "Of course, you can. I wasn't saying that."

Clark's sideways glance told Martha Clark wasn't buying that last one for a minute. Accepting defeat, Martha produced from the cupboard under the sink a paper grocery bag and helped Clark pack up the flashlights and sunscreen. Picking up the sunscreen, Martha read the label while she glanced over at Clark quizzically.

Noticing the question in Martha's eyes, Clark explained, "It's for Lex."

"Oh." Tossing her head to the left, Martha placed the sunscreen in the bag. With great attention to detail, Martha proceeded to fold the bag down, making perfectly straight, evenly spaced folds. Giving the folded paper one last squeeze, Martha stepped back, feeling utterly useless. As Clark piled the pillows on the quilt, Martha crossed her arms as she asked, "So, I guess that fight you had with Lex is over."

Going completely still, Clark leaned over the pillows as he looked up at his Mother's curious face. Standing up, Clark glanced out the kitchen door - Still, no sign of Lex. Turning back to his Mother, Clark asked, "Are you still willing to honor that offer of toast?"

Her shoulders slumping, Martha drilled her eyes into Clark's tense face. Uncrossing her arms, Martha pushed away from the table and headed for the breadbox on the counter next to the sink. Sliding the roll top style door up, Martha reached for the loaf of bread when a honk sounded.

Looking over her shoulder, Martha saw Lex pull up. His engine idling, Lex motioned to Clark to come on out. Picking up the blanket and pillows, Clark fumbled about a bit for the paper bag until Martha picked up and pushed the folded bag into Clark's grasping right hand. Glancing at his Mom from over the pillows, Clark smiled and said, "Thanks, Mom."

Stepping aside, Martha held the kitchen door open for Clark. As Clark jostled the pillows about, trying not to drop them, Martha sighed, "Have a nice time, Clark. I'll leave the kitchen door unchained for you, tonight."

Before rushing to Lex's silver Porsche, Clark turned back for one last, "Thanks, Mom."

Jumping down the stairs, Clark walked over to the Porsche. The passenger side door already hung open by the time Clark reached the vehicle. Elbowing the door until it was a little more open, Clark leaned in and managed to shove the blanket and pillows into the shallow space behind the front seats. Sitting in the car, Clark waved once at his Mom as he pulled the car door closed. A second later, the shiny, silver vehicle was gone, just a dust cloud memory.

--<{()}>--

About Half an Hour Later

Chandler's Field

Without incident, Lex and Clark arrived at the fireworks site. Pulling up to the temporary parking lot set up in the far East side of the field, Lex looked over at Clark as they waited to be told which of the long lanes of cars to go down. "So, they do this every year?"

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yeah, it's lots of fun."

Finally, getting his signal to proceed down the fourth and last row of dust-covered vehicles, Lex drove on pulling alongside a green Bel-Air Chevrolet station wagon. Exiting the Porsche, Lex frowned at how his luxury model was dwarfed by the giant-sized family car. Snatching up a couple pillows, Lex nodded in the direction of the green monstrosity and said to Clark, "And people say I'm compensating for something with my car."

"I wouldn't know," remarked Clark as he flung the blanket over his right shoulder. Holding the third pillow under his left arm, Clark tightened his grip on the paper bag in his left hand as he used his left elbow to shut the car door. Walking around the back of the Porsche, Clark stood beside Lex and whispered, "But I could take a look and tell you if there's any truth to the rumors."

Smacking Clark in the face with a pillow, Lex smiled, "Thanks for the offer, but I've already had more than enough good reviews to know there's no basis for that particular rumor."

Together, Lex and Clark continued their light banter as they made their way toward the center of Chandler's Field. As they reached the main field, Clark recognized Chloe and Justin standing along the edge of the tilled field. Standing on the grass, Chloe and Justin looked out over the harrowed earth. A blanket and a medium sized basket sat, forgotten at their feet.

As Lex and Clark got closer, Justin turned his head toward Clark. Doing a double take, Justin recognized Clark. Slightly unnerved, Clark recognized the intensity in Justin's eyes from their confrontation in Principal Kwan's driveway. Cautiously, Clark walked around Chloe and Justin. Standing in the loose dirt, Clark saw how Chloe gazed past him, out at the field.

"You okay, Chloe?" asked Clark, as concern filled his face.

Smiling, Chloe nodded, as she held onto Justin's arm a little tighter. "I'm fine, Clark. I've been preparing myself for this for weeks. I mean they have the fireworks display at Chandler's Field every year. I knew this was coming."

Hating how useless powers could be, Justin and Clark exchanged helpless glances. Their silent communication concerned Lex and he searched for a way to get past it, to push it far behind them.

Looking to the left, Lex noticed a line of trees flanking the western boundary of the field. From the trees to the edge of the tilled field was a good twenty feet - Plenty of room to serve the purposes of this afternoon. Stepping forward, Lex stood beside Clark, garnering Chloe's attention from the moment he walked into view. "So tell me Miss Sullivan, is the Daily Planet planning on printing anymore nasty stories about me."

Laughing under her breath, Chloe couldn't resist pointing out what an image breaker it was for Lex to be standing on the dirt ground in a black tank top and dark blue jeans. Unable to help herself, Chloe teased, "No nasty stories that I know of, but I know a few photographers who'd swallow their own tongues to get a picture of you dressed like this. Do you realize if this gets out, you'll be crushing the expectations of millions of adoring fans, Mr. Luthor?"

Tipping his head at Chloe, Lex turned. Beckoning Chloe to follow with a subtle twist of his body and a bating comment, "While there are millions, I doubt very much that they're adoring, Miss Sullivan."

Letting go of her vise-like grip on Justin's arm, Chloe carefully avoided the broken earth as she pursued the line dropped by Lex's playful style. "Still, Mr. Luthor, appearances must count for something. I mean, Armani, Versace - These the public understands, but jeans?"

Letting a sly smile tug up the corners of his mouth, Lex walked shoulder-to-shoulder with Chloe. Ducking down, Lex whispered conspiratorially, "Well, contrary to popular belief, I do own clothes that are not business suits."

Giggling naughtily, Chloe replied, "From the pictures I've seen, I can believe that. I have to say, leather pants look good on you."

Throwing his head back, Lex let out a loud laugh, scaring several people nearby. Looking back at Chloe, Lex asked, "You go digging through that pitiful excuse for a photo vault maintained by the Daily Planet's Society Page? Now, the Inquisitor has far better pictures, so you see, you really should have taken me up on that offer, Miss Sullivan."

Stopping in his tracks, Lex smirked as Chloe entered his personal space and purred, "Maybe, I should have at that, Mr. Luthor. Especially, if the Inquisitor's pictures are better than the Daily Planet's."

Choosing that moment to catch up, Justin broke into the to the cat and mouse game going on between Lex and Chloe. Waving a hand between Chloe and Lex, Justin protested, "Not if it meant seeing you in more leather. That's okay. I'm happier with her staying right where she is with the pitiful excuse for a photo vault."

Flashing teeth as she smiled seductively, Chloe grabbed Justin by his loose t-shirt and dragged him forward until his chest was flush with her breasts. "Are you jealous?"

"No. Why? Do you want me to be?" replied Justin as Chloe leaned forward to kiss him.

Stepping around Chloe and Justin, Clark made his way to Lex. Grinning at the smug tilt of Lex's head, Clark leaned to the left and whispered, "You're better at manipulation than anyone has any right to be."

Shrugging, Lex leaned to his right, his forehead almost knocking against Clark's cheek. Looking up into Clark's eyes, Lex said, "If you've got a gift, use it, right?"

Looking down into Lex's green eyes, Clark stuttered, "Yeah. Of course, I agree completely."

Narrowing his eyes, Lex stared at Clark's shifting blue eyes with suspicion. About to ask the question forming in his mind, Lex instead turned away from Clark and looked in the direction of the loud, feminine voice screaming Clark's name.

Across the field, back at the parking area, stood Lana. Jumping up and down, Lana waved her arms over her head. Straining her neck to look over the ever-growing crowd of people filling Chandler's Field, Lana screamed as loud as she could, "Clark! Clark, come here!"

Placing his blanket, pillow and bag of goodies on the grass, Clark managed a shy glance at Lex before taking off. Running in the direction of Lana's desperate cries, Clark pushed his way through the dense crowd. Finally, he broke through the masses and rushed up to Lana.

Placing her hands on her hips, Lana said, "Come with me, Clark. I have need of your superior strength."

Turning on point, Lana did a 180-degree turn. Quickly, Lana walked over to her Aunt's truck. Reaching into the truck bed, Lana started to pull out basket after basket of food. One by one, the picnic basket handles were placed on Clark's outstretched arms. Soon, four baskets hung off each of Clark's arms. Cocking his head to the right, Clark asked, "What is this? Have I been demoted to pack mule status?"

Laughing lightly, Lana shook her head as she dragged a baby blue blanket out of the bed of the truck and grabbed her purse, slinging it over her shoulder. Turning back to Clark, Lana shooed him along. "My thinking is if you're going to eat most of it, then you aught to carry it."

Shaking his head, Clark quipped, "Have you been talking to my Mom?"

Squinting, Lana looked up at Clark and asked, "Pardon?"

"Forget about it. Come on, I'll show you where we set up camp," said Clark.

Performing a small curtsey, Lana replied, "Lead on. You know, I'd follow you anywhere."

Glancing over at Lana, Clark couldn't help but tense up at Lana's last comment. In his mind, Clark flashed back to the day of the twisters, to the kiss he and Lana shared. Looking into Lana's eyes now, Clark could still see the same affection that shined back at him that long ago night. Silently, Clark wondered if Lana was still carrying a torch, but dismissed the idea. 'Lana's with Whitney,' rationalized Clark. Shaking off the tension, Clark walked back to where Chloe, Justin and Lex waited.

About ten meters from the tree line, Clark smiled as he watched Lex help Chloe spread out the blankets. His smile widened as he watched Lex laugh as Justin whacked Chloe with one of Clark's pillows, setting into motion one of the greatest pillow fights ever witnessed by mortal man.

"Can you believe those two? They're at it again," said a familiar male voice.

Looking to their right, Lana and Clark waved at Pete. Pausing, Lana and Clark waited until Pete closed the distance between them. Carrying his own blanket, Pete motioned at the area on which Justin and Chloe were currently rolling around and asked, "Why are we set up over there? The better view is had in the center of the field by the windmill."

Leaning down, Clark replied in hushed tones, "Because that's where Justin and I found her."

Realization dawned in Pete's eyes. Stuttering, Pete asked, "Damn. I forgot. How's she doing?"

"She's fine. She was a little weird earlier, but Lex pulled her out of it," answered Clark.

Pulling back from Clark, Pete sneered, "Luthor did what?"

Glaring at Pete, Clark replied, "Lex helped Chloe a lot, Pete. You could try giving him a little bit of credit."

Tossing his head to the right, Pete stated, "Yeah. Right, like that's going to happen."

Putting up her left hand, Lana reminded, "Guys, this is supposed to be a fun day. Can we set the drama aside for just one day."

Glancing at each other, Clark and Pete's frowns slowly turned into smiles. Punching each other in the arm, Pete and Clark nodded. Satisfied by their actions, Lana turned back toward the tree line. Walking quickly, soon the trio was close enough to hear Chloe boast to Lex, "Besides, I have found some very cool stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" asked Pete.

"Pete!" screamed Chloe as she launched herself at her best friend.

Hugging Chloe with all his strength, Pete picked Chloe off the ground and spun her around. Placing Chloe down, Pete was all smiles as he asked, "So, as I was saying, what kind of stuff?"

"Wall of Weird kind of stuff," answered Chloe.

Grabbing her bag, Chloe pulled out a manila folder. Flipping it open, Chloe showed the group a series of headshots. Pointing to one picture of a thirteen-year-old blond headed boy with a pirate's grin, Chloe reported, "This is Billy McAndrew. His mother is a veterinarian in Metropolis, but they lived here in Smallville for a couple years right after the meteors fell. Apparently, Mrs. McAndrew was doing studies on the effects of the meteors on the wildlife in the area when she first noticed that her son was effected as well. Get this - This little boy can talk to the animals. He knows what a cat means when it says meow. Can you believe that?"

Reaching for the folder, Pete took the picture of Billy in his hand. Smiling over the edge of it at Chloe, Pete said, "Looks like you definitely have another addition to your wall."

Nodding eagerly, Chloe pulled Pete down on one of the blankets. Side-by-side, Chloe flipped to more pictures. Showing them one by one to Pete, Chloe went on and on about what freaky link each one shared to Smallville and the meteor shower. Chloe never noticed how quiet everyone else became. She didn't notice how Justin's normally pouty mouth stretched out across his face as a thin, straight line.

Chloe didn't seem to notice, but Lana did. As did Lex who noted everything from Justin's sullenness to Lana's tense state to Clark's silence. From his vantage point, Lex watched Lana spread out her blanket with angry, flinching movements. With utter fascination, Lex tried to read Lana's lips as they mumbled something through gritted teeth.

Falling to her knees, Lana motioned for the baskets still hanging from Clark's arms. Taking each basket in hand, Lana slammed the wicker food holders down on the blanket. Flinching, Lana noted the moment that Clark knelt down beside her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Looking over her shoulder, Lana locked eyes with Clark and saw the old guilt creeping into Clark's eyes. That was the last straw; Lana was not going to sit by and watch as Clark felt guilty about something like the meteor shower. Glancing about, Lana remembered how Martha Kent distracted everyone at Clark's birthday party.

Reaching into a large basket to her left, Lana announced, "I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm starving. Let's eat."

Everyone gave three cheers for that distraction. Busy eating, Chloe and Pete's discussion ceased. By the time the food was gone, the fireworks were starting. Distracted by the lovely display, the conversation of meteor-induced mutants never picked up steam again. As a result, the rest of the night passed happily, free of stress and guilt.

The night sky alit with fire. For once, in the town of Smallville, it was in a good way. Everyone oohed and ahhed at the bursts of reds, blues and greens. Everyone, that is except for Lana. Her eyes were on Clark the whole night. Blatant stares were unnecessary as glances and sly peeking showed Lana everything she needed to see.

Across the sea of blankets, Lana watched Lex and Clark lean toward each other. Her heart aching, Lana couldn't look away. It was like a train wreck, like a horrible catastrophe. She was traumatized but just couldn't bear to look away from them as they smiled at each other and whispered into each other's ears.

With her head cushioned on Justin's chest, Chloe noticed the way Lana watched Clark. Further, Chloe noticed how Clark looked at Lex and how Lex looked back at Clark in return. Theories crept into her mind, but another eruption of light distracted her. Turning her attention to the latest burst of light, Chloe let her lead slip away from her once again.

As the fireworks drew to a close, the many spectators got up to leave. Folding up blankets, storing away bowls and serving spoons and picking up trash, everyone made ready to vacate Chandler's Field. Tired from the day's activities, Lana struggled to gather the food baskets together. Chloe noticed Lana's fatigue and started helping her pack away the baskets.

Waving at all her friends, Lana announced she was going home. With Chloe helping her to carry the baskets and her blanket back to Nell's truck, Lana managed to not drop from the strain. On the way, Lana and Chloe discussed their summer activities. They talked about how exciting the Daily Planet and Metropolis was. Smiling honestly, they rejoiced over the Talon's success and the success Lana foresaw for the Talon in a distant future. By the time the truck came into view, Lana and Chloe brushed shoulders every other step, bumping each other upon contact, laughing as they stumbled along.

At the truck, Chloe, bolstered by her blooming friendship with Lana, decided to pursue an old lead. After placing two baskets in the back of the truck, Chloe turned to Lana and asked, "Have you told Clark how you feel about him?"

Dropping her blanket, Lana quickly crouched down, snatching at the quilt. "I don't know what you're talking about, Chloe."

Clutching the blanket in her arms, Lana threw it into the bed of the truck as Chloe continued. "Lana, you haven't, have you? Are you planning to?"

Trying to kill Chloe with kindness, Lana insisted with a singsong voice, "Chloe, you seem to have forgotten that I'm with Whitney."

From behind her, Lana heard Chloe ask, "Speaking of Whitney, how long has that been a lie?"

Leveling emotionless eyes at Chloe, Lana asserted, "You don't know what you're talking about?"

Sliding her right index finger across her bottom lip, Chloe observed, "That long, huh? Does Whitney know how you feel?"

Feeling defeated, Lana bent down and picked up the last basket. Tossing it into the bed of the truck, Lana searched her pockets for her car keys as Chloe continued, "I guess not. You do know what you're doing is cruel, don't you?"

Spinning towards Chloe, Lana stared at Chloe with icy eyes. All the friendship of a moment ago forgotten, Lana exclaimed, "You're one to talk about cruelty. How can you keep that horrible wall of weird around now you're with Justin? Did you just conveniently ignore how he reacted to your latest additions?"

Backing away from Lana, Chloe stuttered as she asked, "You know about Justin?"

"Yes, I do, but don't worry. I won't tell anyone," answered Lana. Finally finding her keys, Lana ripped them from her pocket. As Lana flipped the keys about searching for the right key, she continued to assault Chloe with questions. "How do you think Justin feels knowing that the only reason he's not on your wall is because he's your boyfriend? Do you even realize what it feels like to see yourself on that wall? "

Finding the right key, Lana turned away from Chloe. As she reached for the door handle, Lana felt a firm hand grab a hold of her left arm.

"Lana, wait. You're right. The wall is cruel. I put it up without thinking about the hurt it could cause. I'm sorry. I promise I'll take your picture down, immediately," swore Chloe.

Ripping her arm away from Chloe's grasp, Lana opened the truck door and climbed inside the cab. Before the slamming the door in Chloe's face, Lana stated, "I'd rather you just took down the wall."

--<{()}>--

July 5, 2002

Smallville High

"Do you know what this is all about?" asked Pete. Following Justin through the high school's halls, Pete rubbed at his sleepy eyes.

Glancing over his shoulder at Pete, Justin blinked his weary eyes as he shook his head. "Haven't a clue. Where did you find your invitation?"

Flipping the one-sided stationary card over, Pete read the invitation again as he answered, "My Mom said she found it taped to the outside of our front door. You?"

"Fastened to my sketchpad, but I don't know how it got there. The only person I had in my room last night was Chloe and she was a little too preoccupied to be pulling something like this," replied Justin.

Grimacing at the mental image of Justin and Chloe, Pete said, "Well, it's sneaky and little bit freaky, so I'm betting Lex Luthor has something to do with this."

Glancing at Pete, Justin asked, "You have some seriously fucked up issues with that man, don't you?"

"Hey, LuthorCorp stole my family's factory away from us," argued Pete.

Cocking his head to the side, Justin replied, "Yeah, I've heard this one before, but can you name something Lex Luthor has done this millennia?"

Jutting out his lower lip, Pete yelled, "Hey! Whose side are you on?"

"Obviously, not yours," answered Justin. Pausing to yawn, Justin soon continued, "Look, he seems to be a good friend to Clark and he's never done anything to me personally, so I say bygones."

Rolling his eyes, Pete sneered, "Must be easy to live life your way."

Stopping in his tracks, Justin placed a hand on Pete's chest. Instantly, Pete winced at how forcefully Justin was able to push him back with what was supposed to be a crippled hand. Finally, Pete's back slammed against a row of lockers. Pinned in place, Pete drew his eyes up to Justin's face. Looking into Justin's face, Pete saw empty eyes staring back at him.

As the pressure on his chest fluctuated between bracing and mildly uncomfortable, Pete listened as Justin spoke, "Listen, I spent a lot of months in the hospital and the only regular e-mails I received were from Chloe. A lot of people who claimed to be my friends forgot about me completely. As far they were concerned, I was dead to them. That situation taught me to judge a man by what he does. I may not trust Lex Luthor completely, but I've seen no evidence that he's anything other than what he tries to be."

Obstinate to the end, Pete asked, "Oh, and what is he trying to be?"

Chuckling softly, Justin pulled away from Pete and answered with a hint of laughter, "Clark's best friend."

Unable to speak, Pete followed Justin's retreating figure with his eyes. Seeing red, Pete pushed away from the row of lockers once Justin was gone, kicking a metal door hard as he did. Entering the Smallville High pressroom, Pete took a reflexive step back at the sight before him. Sitting on chairs and leaning against desks, Lana, Lex, Clark and Justin talked as they waited. Flipping open their invitations, they asked each other if anybody knew what was going on.

Quickly, Pete recovered from his shock. Rushing forward, Pete pointed at Lex and accused, "You. I knew you had something to do with this."

Gracing Pete with a dismissive glance, Lex spoke in a steady voice, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Waving his invitation back and forth, Lex continued, "I got an invitation like everyone else. That's why I'm here."

"Oh yeah," countered Pete, weakly. Puffing out his chest, Pete asked, "Well, if it wasn't you, then who was it?"

"That would be me," said Chloe from behind Pete.

Spinning around, Pete looked at Chloe's serious face. "You? Why?"

Soon, the rest of the gang joined in with Pete's interrogation.

"What's going on, baby?" asked Justin.

"Chloe, why are we here?" inquired Clark.

"I don't know what you're up to, Chloe, but it had better be good," warned Lana.

Glancing at Lana, Chloe put her hands up in defense. "Listen, I've called you here for a momentous event - The Wall of Weird is coming down."

Staring blatantly at Lana, Chloe continued, "Someone put some sense in my head yesterday."

Walking with purpose, Chloe grabbed the thick black curtains hiding the wall. Pulling the drape away, Chloe revealed the wall of weird to the light of day. Coolly, Chloe walked over to the center of the wall. Reaching up, Chloe pulled down the cover of TIME magazine with Lana on it. Walking over to Lana, Chloe handed the cover over to Lana.

Looking down at herself, Lana took the crying fairy princess picture from Chloe with trembling fingers. A second later, Chloe was dragging a metal trashcan over. Grabbing at sections of the walls, Chloe quickly crumpled the pictures and threw them into the trashcan. Opening her bag, Chloe pulled out a bottle of lighter fluid and a book of matches. Dousing the items in the trashcan with lighter fluid, Chloe placed the lighter fluid aside before tearing a match from the book and igniting it with a quick brush against the striking strip. Flicking the lit match into the trashcan, Chloe stepped back, a little shocked at how high the initial flames rose.

Looking meekly into Lana's eyes, Chloe said in a whisper, "So, come on, this wall isn't coming down by itself."

Walking over to the now subdued, crackling flames, Lana looked at the cover one last time before crumpling it into a small ball and tossing it into the fire. Smiling, Lana watched it blacken, turning to ash. Turning her attention to the Wall of Weird, Lana walked over and ripped down a long row of x-rays and articles.

The rest of the group followed Lana's lead. Walking over to the wall, the whole group proceeded to rip each picture, article, magazine cover and x-ray off the wall. At one point, Clark and Justin competed over who could do more three-point shots into the basket. When the flames started to die, Pete had a little too much fun dousing the flames with lighter fluid, watching them roar up. In response, Chloe wrestled the lighter fluid away from him mumbling under her breath, "What is it with men and fire?"

Even Lex joined in. Pulling sheets of glossy paper down, Lex couldn't help noticing how happy Clark and Justin were to see the wall go. Clark and Justin fought amicably over who got to fling what into the fire. At one point, Justin pulled down an article on telekinesis. Showing it to Clark, Justin got no argument as he tossed the article into the fire, pausing for a second to watch it burn.

As the fire died for the second time, Chloe held onto the can of lighter fluid. Glaring at Pete, Chloe warned with a look. Letting the fire die, the last scraps of paper were quickly pulled down and thrown into the barrel. When nothing but smoke rose from the trashcan, Clark picked up an old towel and wrapped it around his hand like an oven mitt. Grabbing the hot handle of the trashcan, Clark dragged the barrel out of the room, down the hall and outside of the school.

After that, Pete decided he'd had enough fun for one day. Looking at how everyone was so at ease with Lex Luthor, Pete jutted out his bottom lip and sulked his way out the door.

Several minutes later, Lex and Clark conveniently remembered they had somewhere else to be. Picking up their things, Lex and Clark waved back at Justin, Chloe and Lana before taking off.

Feeling suddenly like a third wheel, Lana swung her arms uncomfortably. Smiling nervously, Lana said, "Well, I guess I'll be going, too."

As Lana left the room and started walking down the halls, she heard Chloe call out her name. Turning around, Lana came to a complete stop as she watched Chloe jog up to her. Before Chloe could say anything, Lana said, "That was a great thing you did today, Chloe."

Smiling widely, Chloe blushed warmly. Ducking her head, Chloe looked at Lana through her eyelashes and whispered, "Well, some credit goes to you. You did give me the idea, after all."

"Thanks," replied Lana as she turned to leave again.

Shifting from one foot to the other, Chloe worried her lip before shouting, "Y'know Lana, it was hard taking down that wall."

As Lana turned back to Chloe, Chloe continued, "I spent so long putting it up, adding to it, but in the end, I know it was the right thing to do."

Nodding, Lana agreed, "I'm glad you feel that way, Chloe."

Stepping closer to Lana, Chloe whispered, "The right thing can be difficult to do, but in the end it's better than being cruel unnecessarily."

Her eyes hardening, Lana warned, "Chloe."

Putting her hands up in defense for the second time that day, Chloe spoke quickly, "Just think about it. You gave me some good advice Lana. I'd like to be able to return the favor. What's going on between you and Whitney isn't right and you know it."

As Chloe's words washed over her, Lana's eyes softened. Her shoulders slumping, Lana felt her posture sway. Nodding lazily, Lana agreed, "I know, but how do I break up with him when he's so alone and far from home?"

Answering Lana's question with a question, Chloe asked, "How do you go on making him think you'll be here when he returns?"

Shaking her head, Lana hugged herself. "I don't know."

Placing a comforting hand on Lana's shoulder, Chloe advised, "Lana, this is going to hurt him no matter what you do or when you do it, but the longer you wait, the more it's going to hurt him and the harder it will be to do. Just think about it, okay?"

Silently, Lana nodded. Stepping forward, Lana drew Chloe into a gentle embrace. Resting her chin on Chloe's shoulder, Lana wrapped her arms around Chloe's waist, smiling when she felt Chloe do the same to her. After a couple minutes, Chloe and Lana slowly drew away from each other. Waving at each other, Chloe and Lana took a step backwards, in different directions before turning away from each other.

--<{()}>--

Twenty Minutes Later

Talon Café

Unlocking the front door, Lana carefully locked it again after she entered her business. Walking through the site of her parent's first meeting, Lana hugged herself desperately. Looking at the counter that stood in the very spot the old concession stand once stood, Lana could see the ghosts of her parents. Sad and alone, Lana watched as her Mother and Father leaned over the counter and flirted while "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" played in the nearby theatre. As the ghosts faded from sight, Lana asked, "I just want two arms to hold me. Is that so horrible?"

The memory of Chloe flew to Lana's mind. Remembering Chloe's advice and the angry words of the day before, Lana whispered, "Am I really being cruel?"

Sitting down on a barstool, Lana thought of Whitney. She saw the love in his eyes and yearned to return it, but Lana knew better. She realized months ago she no longer loved Whitney and no amount of wishing could bring back the love she'd lost. Conjuring the image of Whitney's kind face, Lana said to it, "Oh Whitney, you deserve someone who really loves you."

Standing up, Lana walked to her office. Entering her sanctuary, Lana let her arms fall as she sat behind her desk. Pulling out a sheet of stationary and a pen, Lana wrote:



Dear Whitney,

I know I'm what you need and I want to fulfill that need. I want to hold you close and protect you always. Mostly, I want to give you the same sense of security you have always given me.

I know I said I loved you, but I lied to you when I said that. It was unfair to you and I'm sorry.

Please forgive me, Whitney. I never meant to hurt you.

Sincerely,
Lana



Placing her pen down, Lana carefully folded the sheet into thirds. Pulling out a pre-paid postage envelope, Lana slid the letter inside. Licking the flap, Lana savored the bitter taste. Sealing the envelope, Lana turned the letter over. Picking her pen up again, Lana wrote down Whitney's Camp Pendleton address in San Diego from memory. Placing the pen down again, Lana didn't hesitate in what she had to do.

Standing up, Lana rushed out the door of her office. The front door of the Talon opened under her hands next. Rushing down the sidewalk, Lana soon saw the postbox.

As Lana approached the mailbox, the confidence in her footfalls became a distant memory. Holding the letter with both hands, Lana struggled for each step forward. Inches from the mailbox, Lana stopped all together. Shoring up her strength, Lana reached out and grabbed the mailbox handle with her right hand. Pulling it forward, Lana thrust her left hand toward the dark slot, but paused halfway inside the void, clutching the letter in a paralyzed grip.

Her lonely heart battling her conscience, Lana pulled her left hand back, still clutching the letter. Her lonely heart victorious, Lana let the mailbox handle slip from her fingers. As the mailbox door slammed shut, Lana trembled like a leaf. Gritting her teeth, Lana she cursed herself for being weak. Ripping the letter once, twice, again and again, Lana shredded the letter until only unrecognizable confetti remained. Lightheaded, Lana stumbled over to a nearby trashcan. With disgust she reserved solely for herself, Lana stumbled over to a nearby trashcan and dropped the tattered remnants of the "Dear John" letter into it. Sighing loudly, Lana turned down the street and walked back to her sanctuary, locking the door behind her as she started to cry.



Chapter 11: Meet The Coles



Where've you been lately?
There's a new kid in town.
- "New Kid In Town" performed by The Eagles



August 30, 2002
Luthor Castle

Typing furiously, Lex growled when his phone rang. Just one more distraction he really didn't need right now. Pulling his eyes away from the prospectus taking form on his computer screen, Lex glanced over at his phone. Smirking, he recognized the line as his special emergency line. Composing himself, he picked up the phone.

On the other end, Sheila spoke crisply, "Mr. Luthor. Raymond Cole is here to see you."

Lex's smirk deepened. "Excellent. He's earlier than I expected. Make ready the preparations we discussed earlier, Sheila."

"As you wish, Mr. Luthor," answered Sheila as the phone went dead.

A minute later, Sheila entered Lex's office with Raymond Cole behind her. Efficiently, she escorted Raymond to one of the cushioned seats opposite Lex's desk. Unbuttoning his coat, Raymond sat stiffly, his muscular body easily filling the comfortable chair. Clasping his hands in front of his waist, his bearded chin set rigidly, enhancing the streaks of gray that ran down the center of his otherwise dark brown beard.

Across from Raymond, Lex forced a frown as he watched him shift uncomfortably in his chair. With a nod of his head, Lex dismissed Sheila. Leaning forward, he rested his elbows on his desk, thrust out his hands and interlaced his fingers. Waiting until Sheila closed the double doors behind her, Lex looked impishly at Raymond. Once the doors clicked closed, he said, "Well, this is truly a pleasure, Mr. Cole."

Raising a large hand, Raymond interrupted Lex's prepared speech. "Let's dispense with niceties, Mr. Luthor. We both know why I'm here."

Nodding, Lex agreed, "Of course."

Inhaling deeply, Raymond spoke in a tightly controlled voice, "I had heard LuthorCorp could play dirty. I had hoped LexCorp would be different, but apparently not."

Leaning back until he rested against his chair back, Lex spoke in a steady voice, "Au contraire, LuthorCorp and LexCorp are very different, but I'm not sure I understand what it is you're implying."

Cocking his head to the right, Raymond argued, "Do you intend to deny that LexCorp purchased the entire inventory of every chemical supplier in the nearby area?"

Sitting perfectly still, Lex returned Raymond's icy glare. "Of course not. This is a very large plant, Mr. Cole. It has many needs."

Sitting up straighter, Raymond spit out, "No plant has these kinds of needs."

Pressing his fingers together in front of his chest, Lex replied, "That's funny. This plant does, but I can see how frustrating it can be to find out all the suppliers in the area are completely sold out. Metropolis would have the closest alternative suppliers. Perhaps, I can put in a good word with some of them for you."

Curling his left hand into a fist, Raymond stated flatly, "You have my attention, Mr. Luthor. That was obviously your intention all along. So, why don't we put the games aside and get around to what it is you want."

Nodding, Lex paused for a moment. Watching the tension rolling through Raymond's body, he answered carefully, "I see us being in very similar positions, Mr. Cole. You can't find enough chemical compounds and we're starting to feel the pinch in the area of human capital."

Not amused, Raymond's eyes narrowed and darkened. "Please, get to the point, Mr. Luthor. I am a very busy man."

Nodding, Lex replied, "Of course, you are. I think we may be in a position to help one another. I think a surplus of supplies could be found in our inventory if you were agreeable to certain personnel standards."

"Such as?" asked Raymond, cautiously.

Lex answered in a steady voice, "Such as agreeing to not hire people who were previously or are currently employed by LexCorp or LuthorCorp. There is also the concern of your pay scale. It's rather high. I think it could stand a little deflation."

Arching his left brow, Raymond spoke almost in a whisper, "What you are speaking of is illegal."

Staring directly into Raymond's dark blue eyes, Lex repeated a rule Lionel had beaten into his skull, "Something is only illegal if you get caught."

"I see." Nodding slowly, Raymond continued, "Well, I think KRYco would be willing to revise its personnel standards."

Sitting forward again, Lex offered a small smile. "I'm glad to hear it. Tell you what? I'll send some people from my personnel and accounting offices to camp out at KRYco. If they report back that all we've agreed to has been implemented then I'll give them the green light to find those surpluses."

Exhaling loudly, Raymond asked, "When can I expect them?"

"As you're leaving today, they'll be waiting outside my office."

For a second, alarm flashed in Raymond's eyes. Standing up suddenly, he nodded quickly before heading for the door. Pausing in mid-step, he looked back at Lex and said, "It's been very enlightening doing business with you, Mr. Luthor."

Nodding, Lex replied, "I do try to make a good first impression."

--<{()}>--

Meanwhile
At The Kent Farm

Carefully, Martha placed the two hot muffin pans on the cooling rack. As steam rose off the fluffy pastries, she threw down her oven mitts on the kitchen table as she rushed to answer the persistent knocking at the front door. Opening the front door, she was surprised to see an unfamiliar face.

On the Kent's front porch, a middle aged woman stood in a tailored suit. Holding a dark brown briefcase in her right hand, the woman lowered her left hand as Martha opened the front door. Smiling nervously, the woman used her right hand suddenly to tuck a few strands of honey gold hair behind her ear. Swallowing hard, the woman asked, "Are you Martha Kent?"

Nodding, Martha replied with a curious smile, "Yes, I am. Is there something I can do for you, Miss."

Shaking her head, the woman blushed as she giggled softly, "I'm so sorry. How rude of me. My name is Sarah Cole. My family just moved to Smallville a few days ago to oversee the KRYco plant."

Smiling brightly, Martha opened the door until the doorknob hit the wall. With a sweeping gesture of her left arm, she asked, "Oh, won't you come in, Mrs. Cole?"

Returning Martha's warm smile, Sarah crossed the threshold. As she passed by Martha, she insisted, "Please, call me Sarah, Mrs. Kent."

Closing the front door, Martha laughed under her breath as she replied, "Only if you call me Martha."

"Agreed," replied Sarah as she followed Martha into the living room.

Taking a seat on the sofa, Sarah looked at the picture frames atop the mantel. Squinting, she stood up again. With a few steps, she reached the mantel, taking down a picture of Clark at five years old. Running her finger down the glass, she glanced over her shoulder and asked, "Is this a picture of your son?"

Nodding, Martha walked over to the mantel. Standing beside Sarah, she answered, "Yes. My pride and joy."

Shaking her head a little, Sarah handed the picture back to Martha and sighed, "They're nice at that age, aren't they?"

Nodding, Martha reached over and took the frame from Sarah. "Yes, they are, but this is an old picture. My son is sixteen, now."

Turning away from the mantel, Sarah returned to her seat on the sofa. Watching Martha place the picture back on the mantel, she said, "Sometimes, I think all small children look alike at that age. My own son looked very much like that at that age."

Crossing the room, Martha sank down on her armchair. Sitting forward, she asked, "How many children do you have?"

Smiling proudly, Sarah replied, "Two. A boy and a girl."

Smiling in return, Martha remarked, "You're blessed."

"Oh yes. Everyday," said Sarah.

Pulling her briefcase up onto her lap, she slowly disengaged the case locks. As she opened the lid, her expression changed. Still warmly smiling, Sarah's face became cooler. Her light blue eyes were downcast, revealing nothing. "I should probably get to the reason why I'm here. As I told you, my husband and I moved to Smallville to manage the KRYco plant. It's very much a family business. Everyone does their part and I'm in charge of employee morale, so to speak."

"That sounds exciting." Martha became serious as curiosity filled her features.

"It can be," said Sarah. Shuffling about some papers, she continued, "One of the things I've done at other plants was start a Friday breakfast routine where the company provides breakfast for the employees. Sort of becomes something for our employees to look forward to."

"That's nice, but I'm not sure I understand why you're telling me this," commented Martha.

Placing her briefcase on the sofa beside her, Sarah sat forward, leaning toward Martha. "Well, everywhere I go in this town, I hear that the best pies and pastries are made by Martha Kent. In fact, the girl who owns the Talon gushed over your pies. So, here I am. Martha, I would like to hire you to supply our breakfast program."

Martha's eyes flew open. Taken aback, Martha stumbled over her words as she asked, "Well, how big of an order are we talking about?"

Reaching into her briefcase, Sarah pulled out a couple of pieces of paper. Handing them to Martha, she explained, "The plant plans to hire 2, 153 people. Ten percent of the staff will be clerical. Another ten percent will be technical - research and development, stuff like that. The rest, the main group will be the plant workers. We expect to have 1,722 plant workers. What I'm
thinking of are approximately 2,500 servings. Large muffins. Whole pies. Big round cakes."

Blinking with shock, Martha stated, "That's quite an endeavor. Umm. Well, my pies are 8-12 servings depending on how they're sliced. My cakes run 16 to 24 servings. It takes about an hour to bake, but I can bake six pies at a time in my oven. I can bake four cakes at a time. Muffins are prepared in dozen yield pans. I can bake four-dozen muffins in half an hour. Wait let me get a calculator."

"No need. I have one here," said Sarah. Pulling out a thin black calculator and a notepad, she proceeded to punch numbers, scribbling down sums as she went along. After several minutes, she looked up at Martha and said, "We'd like to order 20 cakes, 30 pies and 144 dozen muffins."

Martha felt her mouth fall open. Her lower jaw hung there for a long while, swaying a bit, before Martha said, "I'm going to need to look over the logistics of this. I have other clients. Also, are you expecting fresh from the oven baked goods?"

Shaking her head, Sarah answered, "Not at all. I realize you work out of your home and this is a huge undertaking. Of course, we're willing to compensate you for the added inconvenience and advance you money to update your current facilities. As to the question of freshness, mainly, we want the items to not be stale. So long as the items are fresh and not frozen solid, we'd be pretty happy. How long do you think you'll need to decide?"

Looking up at the ceiling, Martha sucked in her lower lip. Looking back at Sarah, she replied, "I should have a decision for you by tomorrow afternoon."

Smiling widely, Sarah answered, "That would be wonderful. Here is my card. I've written my new phone number on the back. Please, call me as soon as you know one way or the other. If you don't get me, just leave a message."

Taking the business card, Martha read the embossed script for a second before looking back at Sarah. "Of course. You'll be hearing from me."

"Good," said Sarah.

With elegant movements, Sarah closed her briefcase, engaging the locks. Standing up, she gripped the briefcase handle tightly with her left hand before extending her right hand toward Martha. "I hope to see you again, Martha, whether we do business or not."

Standing up, Martha shook Sarah's hand. Escorting Sarah to the door, she agreed, "Yes, don't be a stranger."

Stepping in front of Sarah, Martha reached out, taking a hold of the front doorknob. Twisting the doorknob, she pulled the door open. They smiled at each other one last time as Sarah crossed back over threshold, leaving the Kent residence behind.

Standing in the doorway, Martha watched Sarah get in her gold Toyota Camry and drive away. Afterwards, she closed the front door slowly. Pressing her back against the solid wood, Martha stood in stunned shock as she thought about the numbers Sarah quoted, about the money this project could generate. Quickly, mirth bubbled up, becoming caught in her throat. Slumping against the door, she giggled as she thought about how much this could help out the family. She thought about Clark and all things it could provide for him. Slapping her hands against the hard wood of the sturdy door, Martha closed her eyes and laughed out loud.

--<{()}>--

At That Very Moment
Smallville High

"I can't believe school starts on Tuesday," Chloe mused out loud as she prepared the front page for the first issue of the Torch for the 2002-03 school year.

Across the room, Justin busily prepared the second and third page layouts. Glancing over his shoulder, he said, "I know what you mean. Wasn't it June like yesterday?"

Clicking her mouse madly over the scanned first page, Chloe set borders and picture clarity. "No. Yesterday, I was still in Metropolis."

Nodding, Justin looked to the left and levitated a picture from a stack of photos a few feet away. Looking down at his hands, he smiled at the lack of braces. He continued to smile as he recalled the three surgeries in the past two months and hours of physical therapy required to rid himself of those horrid braces, but soon frowned when his fingers stumbled when reaching up to take a hold of the floating photo of the front of the school.

Finally, getting a firm grasp of the picture's edge, Justin realized this was the wrong picture. Placing the photo down on the table, he reached out toward the pile summoning all of the photos. Looking from picture to picture, he asked Chloe, "Hey, do you know where that picture taken of the front of the school at sundown is?"

Without looking up from her computer, Chloe asked, "It's not in the pile on the table over there by you?"

"Nope. Just those tired early morning shots. See," replied Justin.

Looking away from her computer screen, Chloe watched as a half dozen photos flew through the air, stopping right in front of her. As she scanned the photos, she remarked, "You're getting better at this."

Smiling, Justin said, "Been practicing."

After checking out the pictures completely, Chloe frowned. Standing up, she shooed the pictures away while she walked over to the row of file cabinets behind her. "Okay mister, enough with the photo swarm."

Pulling out a gray file cabinet drawer, Chloe started flipping through files. "I think I might know where that photo is."

Walking across the room, Justin held out a hand, letting the photos fall softly in the center of his palm. Clutching all of the pictures in a clumsy grip, he wrapped his arms around Chloe's waist. As he looked over Chloe's shoulder, he asked, "Tell me, are all first issues this boring."

Bobbing her head up and down, Chloe shrugged as she leaned against Justin's chest. "Yes, I'm afraid so. Just welcome backs, introductions and emergency phone lists. Of course, there is also the all-important first menu that is always wrong. I think the cafeteria staff does it on purpose."

"I wouldn't make accusations that you can't substantiate Miss Sullivan. I'm sure the cafeteria staff does not intend to deceive you."

Whipping their heads to the left, Justin and Chloe met the uncomfortable eyes of Principal Kwan. Breaking apart, they moved a few steps from each other. As Chloe slammed shut the file drawer and started to generally clean up the place, Justin crossed his arms and stood perfectly still, visiting a vengeful stare upon Principal Kwan. Principal Kwan returned the stare without backing down and within minutes it was obvious that the months apart and the fact a man was doing time for his crimes had done little to quiet the bad blood between these two.

Looking back and forth from Kwan to Justin, Chloe could feel the tension. Sadly, she remembered that it was Principal Kwan's son, Danny, who was arrested back in May for almost killing Justin last year. Cautiously, she watched as Justin's eyes started to go blank just before they closed. Fearfully, she watched as he went very still. Quickly, she decided a distraction was in order. Clapping her hands a few times, Chloe asked, "Principal Kwan, what brings you to visit the press office this fine day?"

Turning back toward the office door, Principal Kwan motioned with a few fast waves of his hand. Into the office ventured three teenagers - One boy and two girls. The three teens shared the same olive complexions, but did not resemble each other much in any other way. The boy was very tall - six feet at least; with a head of jet black hair and a muscular build. One of the girls was a head shorter than the boy and sported shiny, dark brown tresses that fell straight just past her shoulders. The other girl seemed dwarfed by the other two teens, but was actually about Chloe's height. Bright red hair fell in fiery curls down her back.

Extending his hand toward the trio, Principal Kwan said, "Let me introduce Laura Lowell and Marcus and Samantha Cole. They just moved to Smallville."

Smiling kindly, Chloe stepped forward and addressed the teenagers, "Hi. New to Smallville, huh? I know just what you're feeling right now because it wasn't too long ago I was in the very same position and I think I just got myself nominated to be your tour guide."

Glancing up at Kwan, Chloe saw the smug smile and winced. Smiling even wider, she twisted her fingers as she cooed, "Principal Kwan, as much as I appreciate this opportunity I have a newspaper to put out. Maybe you should ask someone else."

Crossing his arms, Kwan said, "Now, Miss Sullivan, I just heard you and Mr. Gaines discussing how boring the first issue can be, so I feel it my duty to occupy your otherwise open schedule."

"But, Principal Kwan-" whined Chloe as she felt a shaky hand on her shoulder.

Looking up Chloe saw Justin standing there.

His eyes barely open, Justin looked at the new kids and said, "We'd be happy to show you guys around if you don't mind hanging around the pressroom for a little while until the issue layout is finished."

Laura, Marcus and Samantha mumbled, "Okay," as they stood a little closer to each other.

Nodding, Justin arched his right brow and turned toward Principal Kwan. "You can go now. I'm sure you have a lot more pressing matters like maybe visiting your son."

Motionless with outrage, Kwan moved to speak, but an invisible pressure bore down heavily on his chest. Looking directly at Justin, Kwan's outrage blossomed fiercely only to wilt away as if it never existed as the pressure increased painfully. Slowly, he took a step back.

Turning toward the door, Principal Kwan fled.

Standing in a small cluster, Marcus, Laura and Samantha exchanged worried glances. Stepping forward, Marcus stood proudly, acting as a wall that Laura and Samantha happily sought cover behind. Looking at Justin, Marcus said with a smooth, deep voice, "I don't know what that was all about, but we don't want to be a burden. We'll go."

"Wait," said Justin. Slouching a bit, he raised his arms and rubbed the back of his hands against his eyes as he yawned. Lowering his hands, Justin walked up to the new kids and said, "Look, he and I don't get along. It's a long sad tale that nobody needs to revisit."

Yawning again, he stated, "God, just being around that guy makes me tired."

Extending his hand, Justin said, "Welcome to Smallville."

Taking Justin's hand, Marcus squeezed it gently as he said, "Thanks. As the principal said, I'm Marcus. The redhead is my little sister, Sam."

Pulling away from Justin, Marcus took a few steps back to where the brunette stood, trying to hide. Placing his right arm around the taller girl, Marcus pulled her forward until she was standing directly in front of him. With his hands on her shoulders, Marcus marched her forward a couple steps. "This is Laura. She's a very good writer. Perhaps, she can find a place here."

Blushing madly, Laura slapped at Marcus as she ducked her head. Looking up at Chloe and Justin, she spoke softly, "Don't believe everything this one tells you. I just wrote a couple of articles for the paper at our last school. That's all."

Suddenly animated, Chloe stepped forward until she stood beside Justin. "Well, I'm always interested in finding new writers. The Torch, that's the name of our paper, is published every other Friday. Though sometimes we do rush editions should something strange happen."

Stepping out of the shadow of her brother, Sam asked, "Does something strange happen often?"

Tilting her head to the left, Chloe chewed on her bottom lip for a moment before sighing, "Well, you are in Smallville, now. You might as well know that this is probably the weirdness capital of the universe."

Sam's eyes went wide. Twiddling her thumbs, she mentioned, "Gee, and to think I was concerned back when I just thought it was the meteor capital of the world."

"Why would you be worried about that?" asked Chloe.

Suddenly, Marcus had his right hand on Sam's shoulder, squeezing the flesh tightly. Sam winced, but didn't make a move to flee from the treatment. In a steady voice, he answered for her, "She's not really. She's just silly sometimes."

Looking back and forth from Marcus to Sam, Chloe said, "Well, why don't you all sit down. Justin and I will be done here shortly. "

Using the hand still clamped to her shoulder to give her a little push, Marcus directed Sam over to a far table. As she watched Marcus lead Sam away, Laura stood, hugging her lithe arms around her thin waist tightly. Looking back at Chloe and Justin who were once again taking their places at the computer and layout tables, Laura sighed deeply. Walking quietly, she carefully approached Chloe. Sitting down on the table next to Chloe, she leaned over and whispered, "Please, forgive Marcus. He's just nervous."

Glancing up at Laura, Chloe observed, "You sound like you apologize for him a lot."

Nodding, Laura looked back over to where Marcus was speaking animatedly to a guilty looking Sam. Ducking her head, she explained, "We've moved around a lot. It hasn't always been easy for us to get used to a new place. Marcus has always been the one to protect us along the way. He does that very well and he takes the responsibility very seriously."

Smiling, Chloe glanced at Justin before saying, "I know the type. I suppose there are worse things."

Sitting back, Chloe pointed at her computer screen and asked, "Have you ever used publishing software before?"

Laura shook her head.

Pushing away from the desk, Chloe stood up. Circling around the chair, she grabbed the seatback, drumming her fingers lightly against the plastic. "Well, if you're going to be helping me around here, then you should learn. Take a seat."

Nervously, Laura sat down, staring in awe at the screen before her. "These are great graphics."

Tossing her head proudly, Chloe crowed, "Thank you, I made them myself."

Across the room, Justin rubbed the sleep out of eyes and willed energy into his tired muscles. 'Damn Kwan!' he thought, 'I was fine until he showed up.' He was so tired. More than anything, he wanted to go find a bed or better yet - a room with nothing in it. Reaching for the ceiling, he stretched out his fatigued muscles. Shaking his head, he tried to clear the fog from his brain. Slapping his cheeks, Justin warned himself, 'Get a hold of yourself, Gaines. You don't want to do anything that would scare off the new kids.'

Seeking some control, Justin looked over at Chloe. Instantly, he smiled and some of his fatigue slipped away. Quietly, he watched Chloe lean over and press her finger to the computer screen, pointing out some editing function to Laura. In the end, it was Chloe's sincere smile that quieted the storm around Justin for good.

With control finally firmly in place, Justin turned his attention to the other guests. He almost laughed at the exaggerated pout Sam sported as she sat with her arms crossed and her chin pressed against her chest. Glancing at Marcus, Justin watched a slow smile spread over his face. Following Marcus' line of sight, Justin found himself staring at Chloe and Laura again. Glancing
back at Marcus, Justin smiled knowingly before turning back to his layout sheets.

--<{()}>--

5:17 p.m.
Talon Cafe

"Well, are you extra excited to be in Smallville now that you've gotten the official tour?" said Chloe in a too cheerful voice. Pulling open the front door of the Talon, she held the door as she ushered Marcus, Laura and Sam into the busy cafe.

As he passed Chloe, Marcus laughed quietly, "Actually, I kind of like this place. You can tell there's a real sense of community."

Glancing curiously over at Marcus, Chloe joked, "Community? Right. The kind of community that never stays out of your business."

In response, Marcus shrugged. Behind him, Laura playfully shoved him forward as she stared at a help wanted sign hanging in the front window. Stepping inside the coffeehouse, Laura looked around and smiled at the brightly colored décor. Swinging her arms absently, she spun around and asked Chloe, "Who's the owner of this place?"

After Sam and Justin entered the Talon, Chloe stepped inside, letting the door swing closed behind her. Extending her right arm, Chloe pointed out Lana standing at the service counter. "She's the owner. Her name is Lana Lang."

Mouth agape, Laura stepped closer to Chloe and whispered, "Really? She looks like she's in high school."

Joining the conversation, Justin explained, "That's because she is. She's in the same grade we are."

Wide-eyed, Marcus leaned over and asked in a hushed tone, "Are you telling me she's sixteen and she owns this place?"

Doing his best Phil Hartman as Ed McMahon impression, Justin said, "You are correct, sir."

Sam chose that moment to break into the little circle the others had formed. Raising her voice loudly, she exclaimed, "Why are we standing in a circle whispering? I for one wanted to come here so I could get some coffee. Why don't we sit down and order coffee?"

Glaring at Sam's pushy expression, Marcus countered with, "Brat."

Rolling her eyes, Sam exclaimed, "Whatever. Go tell it to Mom."

Stepping away from the group, Sam made her way toward a couple of empty sofas. She didn't bother to wait for the others. Once at the sofas, she flopped down in the middle of one and yelled back, "Hello? Are you going to stand over there all day?"

Looking over at Marcus, Justin quipped, "Oh, she's just precious. You must just love having her for a sister."

Tipping his head down toward Justin, Marcus replied, "Her only saving grace is that she's blood."

Crossing her arms, Laura frowned.

Noticing Laura's severe frown, Marcus sulked a bit. "Sorry, Laura. I didn't mean anything by it. I promise. Besides, I like having you around for a lot of reasons other than that."

Staring from Marcus' contrite expression to Laura's offended visage, Chloe asked, "Did I just miss something?"

Slowly, all four of them walked over to where Sam sat waiting. Along the way, Laura explained, "I live with the Coles, but I'm not related to them. Raymond and Sarah very kindly took me in when my parents died."

"How did your parents die?" Chloe chimed in far too quickly.

One look at Laura's conflicted, pained face, made Chloe blush with embarrassment. Slapping her left hand to her forehead, Chloe tipped back her head as she apologized, "Don't answer that. I'm so sorry. Sometimes, I forget to take the reporter hat off. Forgive me for prying."

Shaking her head slowly, Laura replied, "It's okay. Just forget about it."

Lana chose that moment to appear.

From behind Laura, Lana asked, "Forget about what?"

Jumping slightly, Laura whipped around to face Lana. They stared at each other for a few seconds before Chloe stepped forward to make the introductions. "Oh nothing. Uh. Lana, this is Laura Lowell."

Stepping to the right, Chloe pointed with her right hand at Marcus and with her left hand at Sam. "That's Marcus Cole and that one over there on the sofa is his sister, Samantha."

Narrowing her eyes, Lana tilted her head to the right and asked, "Cole? Sarah Cole is your Mother, right?"

Marcus' eyes widened. At first, he stumbled over words. Then, he took a step forward, puffed out his chest and asked, "How do you know my Mother?"

Taking a step back, Lana tilted her head all the way back in response to Marcus' towering form. After clearing her throat, she replied, "She came in earlier. She asked a lot of questions about pastries."

Taking another step back, Lana pressed her index finger against Marcus' solid chest. "Look, you do tall, dark and forceful very well, but tone it down. I mean it. I don't appreciate being threatened in my own establishment."

Nodding, Marcus stepped back. Quickly, he looked down at the floor without saying another word. Laura placed a comforting hand on his right bicep. Standing beside him, Laura looked at Lana with a pleading gaze, "We meant no offense. It's just strange that you would know about Sarah, is all."

Letting go of Marcus with a pat on the arm, Laura approached Lana cautiously. Wanting desperately to change the subject, Laura glanced at the front door. Pointing at the front doors, she inquired, "Are you still looking for new employees?"

Blinking at the drastic shift in the conversation, Lana looked over her shoulder at the sign as she answered, "Yes. I have one dishwasher and two waitress positions to fill."

Turning back to Laura, she asked, "Why? Are you looking for a job?"

At this, Marcus found his voice. "No, Laura doesn't have to work."

Slightly irritated, Lana barked at him, "I don't think I was asking you."

Dismissing Marcus with a flip of her hair, Lana turned back to Laura and asked, "So, are you looking for a job?"

Looking back at Lana, Laura answered, "I am looking for a job and a waitress gig sounds like it would be right up my alley. Something after school and on weekends. I'm very flexible."

Smiling broadly, Lana said, "Well, you couldn't have come at a better time. When can you start?"

"How about tomorrow?" answered Laura quickly.

Clasping her hands in front of her chest, Lana replied with a touch of awe, "Wonderful. Come by at noon. I'll have the paperwork waiting, so bring a work permit signed by your parents and your social security card. Okay?"

"Where do I get a work permit?" asked Laura.

Placing a hand on Laura's elbow, Lana steered Laura toward her back office. "Come with me. I have a big stack in my office."

Intensely, Marcus watched Laura leave with Lana. He stood, planted in one spot, until he felt a hand on his left shoulder. Looking to his left, he saw Justin's smiling face.

"Hey buddy, no need to worry. I've never known Lana to kidnap anyone. Of course, the day is still young," said Justin.

Squinting at Justin, Marcus wore a confused expression for a second before shaking his head. Without resistance, he let Justin guide him over to the sofa where Sam waited with a severe pout marring her otherwise pretty features. Together, they sat with Chloe snuggled close to Justin on the sofa opposite the couch where Marcus sat beside Sam.

Seated quietly, waiting for Lana and Laura to join them, was how Lex and Clark found the four of them. The first thing Clark recognized as they entered the Talon were the backs of Chloe and Justin's closely pressed heads. With a wide smile, Clark rushed forward. Coming to a stop beside the sofa they occupied, he barely got a chance to say hi before Chloe jumped off the sofa, attacking him with a bear hug.

Placing his arms around Chloe, Clark hugged her back. Carefully, Clark made sure not to use too much strength, but still managed to pop several kinks out of Chloe's back. Going somewhat limp in his arms, Chloe practically purred, "Oh Clark, you're better than a chiropractor."

Looking away, Clark smiled shyly. Propping Chloe up, he waited until she willingly let go of him. As Chloe slipped away from Clark, she reached back and grabbed his hand, pulling him forward with a jerk. "Come with me, Clark. I have some people I want you to meet."

Stumbling forward, Clark could only look back helplessly at Lex's smirking face as he followed Chloe. Suddenly Chloe stopped, causing Clark to collide with her. As a result, Chloe almost took flight, but Clark stopped her with an arm wrapped securely around her waist. For a second, she dangled several inches off the ground before Clark gently lowered her to the ground. Once her feet touched terra firma again, Chloe spun around and smacked Clark on the chest with the back of her hand. "God Clark, colliding with you is like smacking against a brick wall."

Thinking back to the brick wall he slammed against during the twisters, Clark considered his own dense molecular structure and replied, "Yeah, I guess it would be like that."

Squinting at Clark, Chloe stared quizzically at him before looking past him. Smirking playfully, she baited, "You sound like you've gained some of your employer's vanity."

From behind Clark, Lex coolly pushed his jacket back as his hands slid smoothly into his pants pockets. "Hello to you, too, Miss Sullivan."

"Mr. Luthor," replied Chloe with mock seriousness.

"Missing Metropolis yet?" asked Lex.

Shrugging, Chloe glanced at Justin and replied, "No. It was nice to visit some of my old haunts, but Smallville has some very attractive points of interest."

Grinning mischievously, Justin inquired, "Am I an attractive point of interest?"

Lovingly, Chloe assured, "Oh, you bet."

As Chloe seductively inched closer and closer to Justin, Lana and Laura rejoined the group.

Once she was only a few feet away, Lana couldn't help but notice the way Lex stared at Clark. The same thinly veiled affection filled Lex's eyes that Lana had seen some fifty odd times over the past summer. Like every other time, she felt her resignation become firmer as the abyss in her heart sank deeper in her chest. Then, it happened - what always happened, leaving a bittersweet tinge of regret in her stomach.

Clark turned toward Lana and smiled.

Caught. Lana could only surrender to the sweet longing. Standing rigidly, Lana mused, 'I'm so easily caught again.' Brought back to reality, she shook her head as she forced herself to understand the words being spoken to her.

"Lana, who's this?" asked Clark.

Blinking hard, Lana gestured toward Laura and said, "Clark, this is Laura Lowell. Laura, this is Clark Kent."

Smiling kindly, Laura extended her hand toward Clark and said, "Very nice to meet you, Clark."

Extending his hand toward Laura, Clark replied, "It's nice to meet you, too."

As their fingertips touched, both were shocked by the speed with which Marcus moved. In an instant, he was on his feet, making his presence known. At once, all eyes were upon him and oddly, he seemed comfortable with the attention. Stepping forward, Marcus addressed Clark, "My name is Marcus Cole."

Reaching down, Marcus grabbed Sam by the arm and pulled her to her feet. With his thumb, Marcus pointed at Sam and said, "This is my sister, Sam."

Glancing curiously at Marcus, Clark nodded. Looking to his right, Clark stared at Lex and saw the recognition in his eyes. Confused, Clark continued to stare as Lex's mask slid back in place and Lex returned his gaze. Without words, they conveyed their uncertainty concerning the new additions to the group. Unfortunately, their silent communication was short lived.

Shortly after being dragged to her feet, Sam exclaimed, "You're pathetic. You know that."

Marcus still held her arm in a tight grip that Sam didn't attempt to break. Instead, she opened her mouth and let out a stream of abuse, "They were shaking hands or they were about to before you stopped it with your 'I'm big. I'm tall, Everyone look at me.' What were you thinking? I'll tell you. You weren't thinking."

Jerking his hand away, Marcus let go of Sam's arm. With a loud exhale, he sank down on the sofa, crossing his arms over his chest.

But, Sam wasn't finished by half. Turning to Lana, she asked, "You own this place, right?"

Nodding Lana replied uncertainly, "Yes."

"Can I have a cup of coffee? Just black. With cream and sugar substitute on the side. Unlike the rest of these people, I came in here for coffee. Which is what makes this so sad. I mean, I've been here for almost twenty minutes and I still have no coffee."

Lana stared at Sam with open-mouthed shock. Swallowing hard, she nodded slowly as she mumbled, "Right. I'll just go do that."

Exchanging questioning glances with Chloe and Clark, Lana stepped away to fill the order.

From the front door to the Talon, everyone heard a laughter filled voice ring out. "Now, that's what I call a girl who likes to speak her mind."

Of course, Pete Ross was the owner of the laughter-filled voice in question. Navigating between the various Talon patrons, he approached the group, eyeing Sam curiously. With a touch of surprise, he stopped a few feet from Sam as she fearlessly met his gaze. Jutting out his bottom lip, Pete asked, "Who are you?"

Setting her jaw rigidly, Sam looked Pete directly in the eye and answered defiantly, "My name is Samantha Cole. Who are you?"

"My name is Pete Ross. I grew up in Smallville. I'm 16 years old and I volunteer for the Mayor's reelection campaign. Anything else you want to know, princess?" answered Pete.

Taken aback by all the information, Sam hesitated. Then, finding her voice once again, she said softly, "Is that interesting?"

Squinting his eyes, Pete asked, "What?"

"Volunteering for the campaign?" replied Sam in a still softer voice.

Nodding, Pete stepped forward. Balancing his left elbow in the palm of his right hand, he stroked his chin with his left hand. Stopping less than a foot from Sam, he inquired, "Are you interested?"

"In what?" replied Sam.

"In volunteering. I could introduce you to the campaign coordinator," answered Pete.

"I'd really like that," said Sam with something short of a whisper.

"Remember you have to ask Mom and Dad first," ordered Marcus in a commanding voice from his seat on the couch.

Without missing a beat, Sam said, "I have to ask my parents first."

"Cool. Let me know," replied Pete.

"I will," swore Sam.

Off to the side, Lex and Clark exchanged glances as they watched Pete and Sam dance around each other. Smiling at each other, Lex noticed the slight tilt of Clark's head in the direction of the door. Moving his head up and down by the smallest of degrees, Lex scanned the crowd. Catching sight of Clark with the corner of his eye, he blinked a couple times before rolling his head from side to side, exaggerating his movements when they veered toward the group. Taking in Lex's actions, Clark smiled and nodded once before saying, "Hey guys. I really need to go. My parents are expecting me for dinner."

Walking up with Sam's requested coffee on a tray, Lana said, "Clark, do you have to leave so soon?"

Nodding, Clark rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. Shifting slightly from foot to foot, he replied with a steady voice, "Yeah, my Dad wants to get one last project out of the way before school starts again."

Placing a hand on Clark's shoulder, Lex offered with a smile, "You know, I'm going to go back to the office. Why don't I give you a ride home while I'm at it, Clark?"

Smiling widely, Clark replied, "I'd really appreciate that, Lex. Thanks."

Stepping toward the door, Lex pulled out his car keys and said, "Let's go then."

Quickly, Clark made his goodbyes while Lex waited at the door. A shrug from Pete who was still fixated on Sam. Nothing whatsoever from Sam who was too busy staring back at Pete. A happy to meet you from Laura and a nod in accord from Marcus. A hug from Chloe. A hug from Lana. A mock hug and a kiss from Justin that elicited cries of protest from both Lana and Chloe and a groan from Pete. With a final wave, Clark met Lex at the door. Without a look back, they exited the Talon as casually as possible.

Out on Route 90, heading for the Kent Farm, Lex let his hand wander. Leaving the gearshift, his right hand slid over to Clark's solid thigh. Smiling at how the flesh of Clark's left thigh rippled at his touch, he traced patterns with his fingertips, almost laughing at how the muscles danced. He continued the torture until Clark let loose a low-pitched growl. As the soft rumbles rolled over him, Lex finally let the laughter out. Enjoying the moment a little too much, he pulled his black Porsche over to the side of the lonely road.

This was risky. The sun still hung high in the sky, spotlighting their actions for any nearby motorist or person walking to town. It should've mattered, but it didn't. The thrill of being caught fueled their desire even more as Lex pulled Clark over, kissing him soundly.

Truth was Lex never got enough of Clark's lips - of nipping gently at them, of biting hard down on them, of sucking the bottom one into his mouth, keeping it there as Lex ran his tongue over it. More wonderful than all that was the way Clark ran those lips down Lex's throat.

As always, Clark started just below the earlobe. Tickling the sensitive spot where the jaw meets the skull, he alternated between sucking softly and licking, but not biting. One ill-placed hickey taught them that even Lex looks ridiculous wearing a turtleneck in the middle of a Kansas summer. So, no biting. No strong suction either until Clark got Lex's shirt open, exposing the milky white flesh of his chest.

This was when Clark's breathing became labored. As he stared at flesh not usually seen, he started to pant. While he worshiped the warm skin that beckoned to him with its pale perfection, Clark felt winded in a way that even hours of hard labor never made him feel. He felt Human. He felt normal. It was everything Clark wanted to be. So, he reveled in the heat of it.

It was moments like this that made Lex hate confidential clinics and the tests performed there. As he felt Clark's hand fall to his lap to fumble with the leather strap of his belt, Lex realized that while it was not impossible to call an end to this like he always did, it would most definitely not be easy. Pressed back against the driver side door with his legs twisted about uncomfortably in the passenger side foot well, Lex knew from experience what Clark obviously intended to do. God forgive him, he wanted it too, but the test scheduled for December 16th forced itself to the front of his mind, knocking on his common sense, screaming that this wasn't practical or safe.

Never an impractical man, Lex pushed Clark back. Shifting in their seats, they laid back in their respective seats. Breathing hard, they stared at each other. Wincing, Lex couldn't ignore the pain and doubt in Clark's eyes. Closing his eyes, Lex ignored his conscience that nagged at him to be truthful. Inhaling deeply through his nose, he exhaled slowly through his mouth. Opening his eyes slowly, Lex glanced at the bulge created by Clark's semi-erect shaft and groaned, "Oh. To be sixteen. Well, Clark, all I can say is think of Mother Theresa in a thong. That's right. Nasty picture. Okay, now think of Margaret Thatcher in a leather bustier. There you go. Nothing to worry about now."

Laughing as he cringed from the last mental image, Clark whispered, "You're evil."

Laughing under his breath, Lex nodded as he replied, "Well, when you find something you're good at."

Happy in each other's company again, they tucked their shirts back in their pants and prepared to actually take Clark home. As they rearranged their clothes and Clark combed his hair in the sunshade mirror, Lex asked, "So, Clark, excited about school starting?"

"What do you think?"

"I think it sucks, but wanted to confirm."

"Consider confirmation received."

"Well, at least now you're a junior. Look at the bright side, they can only torture you for two more years. Of course, then there's college and that can be a lot of fun if one has loose morals and a general indifference to ethical dilemmas."

"What if you do have morals when you go to college?"

"Don't know, Clark. I have no personal experience in that realm. Make sure and tell me what it's like when you get there."

With a grunt of laughter, Clark shook his head. After running his brush through his hair one last time, he shoved the plastic hair care product back in the glove box where it belonged. Slamming the glove compartment shut, he looked over at Lex and frowned, "Guess I have to go home now."

Nodding, Lex extended his right arm and ran his fingers down Clark's cheek. Lowering his hand to the gearshift, he put the Porsche in drive and sped away.

--<{()}>--

Several Minutes Later
Kent Farm

"Hey, it looks like someone's in the old laundry shed," observed Clark as he and Lex pulled up the Kent driveway.

Toward the back of the Kent home one could easily see a door standing wide open. As Lex turned off the engine, Clark stepped from the Porsche. Walking cautiously, he squinted at the open door as he drew closer to it.

From behind Clark, Lex asked in a whispered hush, "What's the big deal? So, someone is in your laundry room."

Glancing over his shoulder Clark replied, "It's our old laundry room. A couple years back my parents finally got a new washer and they decided to move it into the house. Since then, my Dad's locked this room off because it has gas and water hook-ups and he didn't want anybody to accidentally blow the house up or something. It's probably nothing but rotted wood and spider webs by now. There is absolutely no reason for someone to be in there."

Nodding, Lex remarked, "Except that someone obviously is or was."

Waving at Lex to follow closer to the side of the shed, Clark inched toward the door until he could hear voices coming from inside.

"It's perfect, Jonathan. I spoke to Sarah earlier and she's willing to advance some money for the improvements."

"I don't know, Martha. It seems like a lot of work."

"So is running a farm, but I don't see you walking away from that. Think about it Jonathan. This could be a real business. I could hire some people if I need to. Who knows? If it goes really well, I could be the next Sarah Lee."

"Would everything fit in here?"

"Sure it would. The industrial oven can go against the wall. It's perfect since the gas hook-up is already there. The extra-large mixer can go on that old counter next to the water hook-ups. After we reinforce the old wood, of course. That's where we'll put the new sink. And. And. In that corner, we can install wire racks for cooling. Don't you see, Jonathan? It's just perfect."

"I'm still not sure about this, Martha."

"Come on, Jonathan. What could you possibly find wrong with this plan? The money is clean. The work is hard but honest and the people seem decent."

"That's the thing, Martha. What do we know about these Coles, anyway?"

"Only what we read about KRYco on the internet. They were voted one of the top hundred companies to work for by Employment Weekly. They've received countless awards and distinctions for their treatment of their employees and their environmental record doesn't have a single blemish. You have to admit Jonathan that's pretty impressive. Besides, I already called and told Sarah that I would it, so now it's a matter of honor."

Having heard enough, Clark entered the dusty room. Jonathan and Martha turned around as he did, surprised by his presence. Looking around the dirty room, Clark finally drew his eyes down to his Mother's happy face. "Mom, what's going on?"

Clasping her hands in front of her, Martha said, "Clark. I'm glad you're here. I'm going to need your help getting this place clean in time for the deliveries."

"Deliveries?" asked Clark and Jonathan at the same time.

"Please, Jonathan. I really want to do this," pled Martha.

Crossing his arms over his chest, Jonathan eyed Martha's hopeful face for several seconds before nodding his head. In response, Martha smiled brightly as she threw her arms around his neck. Kissing her husband square on the lips, Martha held Jonathan against her for more time than Clark found comfortable.

Coughing loudly, Clark reminded his parents of his presence. Reluctantly, Jonathan pulled back from Martha. Looking down at Martha, he ran his right hand through his blond hair, leaving the hand to rest on the back of his neck. Wrapping his left arm around Martha's back, he remarked, "Well, if you had to work with a corporation at least it's not LuthorCorp or LexCorp, for that matter. At least, that's what I think he calls it."

Looking over at Clark, Jonathan asked, "It's Lexcorp, right?"

Nodding, Clark glanced over his shoulder at the door. "Yeah. Uh. Dad?"

Interrupting Clark, Jonathan continued, "Y'know? Come to think of it. Today was your last day working for Luthor, wasn't it?"

Growing ever uncomfortable, Clark nodded quickly as he said, "Yeah. Um. Dad?"

Hugging Martha tighter, Jonathan rubbed the small of his wife's back as he said, "I'm so glad this summer's over. You can go back to school where I can at least rest assured that for eight hours you're not going to see that guy. I know you think of him as a friend, Clark, but I'm glad you're not going to be hanging out with him so much."

From beside him, Jonathan heard Martha's calm concerned voice. "Jonathan, don't say that. Lex is a good boy."

Laughing under his breath, Jonathan shook his head as he looked down in disbelief. "Martha, come on. Let's be serious."

That did it. Narrowing his eyes and rigidly setting his jaw, Clark practically growled, "Dad!"

Looking over at Clark, Jonathan asked with exasperation, "What, Clark?"

His face flushed with anger, Clark said, "Dad, I've been trying to tell you that-"

"I'm right outside," rang out Lex Luthor's silky smooth voice as he casually stepped into the shed.

At least Martha had the decency to look embarrassed. Jonathan just stood there. Defiantly, he and Lex looked at each other, neither willing to be the first to blink. This staring game went on long enough that Jonathan even began to think he'd win when Martha's warm hand slid over the front of his flannel covered chest. Breaking away from Lex's gaze, Jonathan met disapproving eyes when he looked down at Martha. Looking away from her angry eyes, he found an equally ire-filled set of eyes staring back at him from Clark's tense face.

Exhaling loudly, Jonathan lowered his right hand as he looked at Lex and said, "Uhh. Look, Lex."

Shaking his head once, Lex raised his left hand. "Don't. I don't need it."

Looking at Martha with a smile, Lex asked, "So, what's this I hear about you and KRYco doing business?"

Returning Lex's smile, Martha answered excitedly, "Sarah Cole asked me if I wanted to be their baked goods supplier. I thought it over and decided that with some improvements, I could do it. So, now I'm inspecting my new kitchen."

Eyes wide with surprise, Clark asked, "New kitchen? What's wrong with the old one?"

Her face still glowing, Martha replied, "Nothing honey, except that it's too small. I'm having equipment brought out here tomorrow. The new stove alone will quadruple my output. Besides, this way, we won't feel inconvenienced by it all so much since it'll be out of the way."

Martha's happiness was infectious to Clark and soon, he too, was smiling. Looking around the old shed, Clark nodded his head. Clearly, he saw the potential in his Mother's plan. Looking back at his Mother, he said, "It sounds great, Mom."

Pulling away from Jonathan, Martha crossed over to Clark. Enveloping him in a tight embrace, Martha pressed her face into his chest as she said, "I knew you would. You have my good sense."

"Hey!" cried Jonathan in mock offense.

Laughing freely, Martha pulled away from Clark. Looking at Lex, she asked, "Would you like to stay for dinner, Lex?"

Glancing at Jonathan, Lex saw an annoyed expression wash over his features. Looking back at Martha, he frowned as he said, "I'm afraid I really can't do that, Mrs. Kent. I only came by to drop off Clark. In fact, I should really be going, now."

Sighing sadly, Martha nodded. "Well, the invitation is always open."

A small smile drew up the corners of Lex's lips as he replied, "Of course. Thank you, Mrs. Kent."

Breaking away from Martha's gaze, Lex locked sad eyes with Clark and said, "See ya around, Clark."

"Wait, Lex," shouted Clark as he flashed one last angry look at his Father.

Following Lex out of the shed, Clark quickly caught up to Lex. One step at a time, Lex slowed down until he was just standing there. With his back to Clark, he closed his eyes. Inside, Lex mulled over the fact that the Kents were in business with the Coles. No. Correction. Martha Kent was in business with the Coles. After all the times that he tried to get the Kents to do business with LuthorCorp, after all the times he heard Martha Kent refer to him in friendly terms, this new development was a slap in the face. To say it simply, Lex was disappointed and not just a little pissed, but in the end, he reminded himself, it was just business.

With a shrug, he turned around and looked Clark in the eyes. Now Lex had bigger problems. He, too, was in business with the Coles. It was the kind of business he did not want any of the Kents to know about, especially Clark. 'He just wouldn't understand the necessity of it,' thought Lex as he broke away from Clark's intense eyes. He considered the fallout that would follow the revelation of his particular association with KRYco. Looking down at the ground, Lex said softly, "Clark, go eat dinner with your family."

Inching closer to Lex, Clark said, "Lex, don't go yet."

Glancing over his shoulder, Clark made sure his parents were still in the old laundry room before quickly bringing his gaze to bear on Lex again. Frowning deeply, Clark begged, "At least stay until dinner's ready. Come on."

After a moment, Lex nodded. Quietly, he allowed Clark to take a hold of his elbow and guide him into the barn. Once inside, Clark slipped his right arm around Lex's waist. Pulling him close, Clark led him up the stairs. On the top platform, Clark sat them both down on the couch.

In silence, they sat. They didn't move. They didn't even cuddle, really. Clark still held Lex around the waist, but Lex sat beside him as if the arm wasn't even there. At a loss, Clark just held Lex tighter, not knowing what else to do. Although, Lex made no move toward him, Clark could feel the tension flow away.

It took time, but slowly, Lex relaxed. Reclining against Clark's arm, he slowly turned his head to the left until he was looking directly into Clark's deep blue eyes. Sighing from the unspoken love he saw in Clark's eyes, Lex mused, 'You really are better than I deserve.'

Losing himself in Clark's eyes, Lex realized there were no words he could face for what he was feeling. So, he acted instead. Leaning forward, he captured Clark's lips in a long kiss. Immediately, he felt Clark's strong arms encircle him, drawing him closer. Moaning, Lex pushed Clark back down on the sofa cushions until they were stretched out on the gingham fabric.

With ease, Lex ran his hands over Clark's flanks, stomach and chest. Squeezing Clark's shoulder, Lex felt some pent up tension release and smiled. Trailing his fingers down Clark's chest, they laughed together as Lex's fingertips grazed the ticklish spot located just above Clark's waistline. Reveling in the feel of smooth cotton, Lex wondered if Clark would return to flannel and plaid once school recommenced. Then, as if with a mind of their own, Lex's hands curled into fists, pulling Clark's shirt out of his starched khakis.

With a low-pitched moan, Lex spread his fingers across Clark's tanned skin. Pressing his lips to Clark's neck, Lex rubbed the palms of his hands up Clark's stomach and over his stiff nipples. Moving back to kiss the lips he adored, Lex paused as Clark grabbed Lex's left hand and placed it firmly on his erection.

Pushing up on his right elbow, Lex looked down at Clark. He became acutely aware his lies and diversions had caught up to him. In Clark's lust-filled eyes, he saw no willingness to let that hand go unless he agreed to not push Clark away this time.

As his conscience screamed at him, Lex's left hand squeezed. Kneading the hard flesh under his fingers, he leaned down and kissed Clark gently. Lingering on the lips he knew so well, Lex decided there were some things he could do. Sure. There are dozens of things a person can do that are reasonably safe.

Tracing his index finger up the metal zipper of Clark's pants, Lex stopped at the smooth plastic button of his slacks. Twisting the disk in his fingers, Lex teased Clark until the arm wrapped around Lex wound tighter and a growling sounded from deep in Clark's chest.

In response, Lex laughed lightly against Clark's lips. Instantly, Clark's right hand pressed against the back of Lex's neck. Silencing Lex with the power of his touch, Clark kissed him passionately. With his right hand, Clark tilted Lex's head down until both their foreheads pressed together and he felt the buzz of electricity, snapping and crackling like TV static in the back of his mind.

"Clark, dinner's ready. Come on down now, son."

Instantly, Lex and Clark froze. First, they looked in the direction of Jonathan Kent's voice. Then, they looked back at each other and swallowed hard. Clearing his voice, Clark waited until he was reasonably sure his voice wouldn't crack and said, "I'll be right in, Dad. Just let me walk Lex to his car."

There came a sound like a foot landing on a wooden step. Jumping up, Lex took in Clark's wrinkled state and thought, 'Shit! I am so dead and no one will ever find the body.'

Clark was in a similar state of panic. Pushing off the couch, he frantically tucked in his shirt. For a second, he paused, pivoting back and forth, unsure of what to do. Then, a calm came over him. He smoothed out the wrinkles in his shirt and shook out his pants. Raking his fingers through his hair, Clark took in a deep breath and walked over the handrail. Looking over the side, he saw his Father already hoping onto the sixth step. Leaning over the handrail, he shouted, "Dad, I swear. I'll be right in. It'll just take a minute to walk Lex to his car."

Frowning severely, Jonathan wavered on the sixth step. Finally, Jonathan descended to the fifth, then the fourth. Looking up at Clark, he flashed a resigned expression as he said, "Okay, Clark. Don't take too long or your food will get cold."

Forcing a smile, Clark replied, "Yes, sir."

Resting on the bottom step, Jonathan squeezed the wooden handrail before pounding it once with his tightly clenched fist. Nodding, he left the barn.

Stepping away from the handrail, Clark turned swiftly and said, "That was close."

"Close isn't the word," Lex corrected.

Looking down, Clark said, "I guess you gotta go now."

Stepping forward, Lex raised Clark's chin with his right hand. Looking into Clark's eyes, Lex said, "It's cool. It's au revoir, remember."

Smiling, Clark agreed, "Yeah. Au revoir."

Chapter 12: Haunted


Love is understanding,
It's hard to believe life can be so demanding,
I'm sending out an S.O.S.,
Stop me from drowning, baby I'll do the rest.
- "Rescue Me" performed by Madonna

September 1, 2002

Once again, Clark found himself in one of Lex's many cars. This time it was the Ferrari - the red one. The sun was shining and the smell of autumn was in the air. With a naughty shiver, Clark glanced at the Route 90 sign posted by the side of the road, by his side of the car. Everything was perfect. There were no distractions. There were no loud noises. There were no inconvenient people. No fathers appeared out of nowhere. Nothing to get in the way of how Lex was kissing him now.

Eagerly, Clark kissed back. Running his hands up and down Lex's lean chest, he paused more than once to feel Lex's stiff nipples through the silk shirt he wore. As Clark rubbed harder, pressing against the sharp points, Lex opened his mouth in a silent scream. Grabbing at Clark's young body, Lex cocked his head to the side as Clark started his slow descent over his chin, bound for his neck.

Holding Lex tightly with his left arm, Clark used his right hand to unbutton Lex's shirt. Brushing the material away, Clark descended further, sucking at the center of his chest. Tongue tracing the fine red hairs of his chest, Clark followed the path they created. At Lex's belt, Clark paused.

This was where it usually ended - with worship and wet underwear.

'Not this time,' swore Clark as he lowered his hand to Lex's belt.

Fumbling with the thick leather, Clark flinched as Lex's hand covered his. Refusing to look at his face, Clark rested his cheek on Lex's stomach and wrapped his arms around his waist. Placing gentle kisses on his skin, Clark could feel Lex's flesh dance under his lips and smiled.

Soon, hands appeared on his shoulders, pushing Clark back, pushing Clark away. Shaking his head, Clark squeezed Lex's waist tighter but the hands were insistent and soon Clark was reclining back against the passenger seat. With his eyes closed, Clark didn't see Lex reach over, but he felt silky smooth skin as Lex rubbed his thumb slowly over his flushed cheek.

At first, Lex reveled in the rich glow of Clark's tanned skin. Then, he pulled Clark into another series of deep, probing kisses. Reaching down, he undid his pants before reaching over and expertly unfastening Clark's belt buckle. Unbuttoning Clark's jeans, Lex smiled when Clark moaned as he pulled down the zipper.

With his right hand, Lex pulled out his own erection. With his left hand, he repeated the action on Clark. Holding them both in his hands, he started to pump both organs in unison. Concentrating on pressure and speed, on the gathering of skin present on the underside of both their penises, he pushed Clark's moans to the back of his mind. As the pleasant sounds echoed through his mind, he could feel Clark's hands grip the flesh of his arms. Getting drunk off the pain induced from the pressure Clark applied to his arms, Lex pumped faster, holding himself and Clark in an even tighter grip. Slipping his thumb over the tip on each upstroke, he spread their pre-cum over the tip of their erections and with each down stroke, along both shafts.

Clark's sixteen-year-old body couldn't last much longer. Especially since, at that very moment, a man of particular skill and experience was driving his young, untrained body crazy. As a result, he didn't last long at all. In the middle of a very slippery down stroke, Clark felt the pressure that long ago settled in his abdomen slip down to his balls, causing them to pull up against his body. A second later, every muscle he had felt like it was trying to draw into his groin as he bucked his hips up against Lex's tight fist.

Suddenly, Clark's body seized. Every muscle flexed for a few seconds as he shuddered uncontrollably. For a few seconds, the whole universe existed only so far as his groin, but then the intensity melted away and the universe expanded back to its original scope.

As a sweet serenity flowed into his body, Clark started shaking violently. Letting go of Lex's arms, Clark kissed his evil grin as he reached down and pried Lex's hand off his too sensitive, softening flesh.

The continued rocking of Lex's body alerted Clark to an urgent situation. Quickly, Clark placed his right hand over Lex's rapidly pumping hand. A quick, wordless exchange took place during which Lex placed his left hand on the seatback, his right hand on the steering wheel and reclined against the seatback. Lex's head fell back, bouncing off the leather upholstery as he pumped his hips in a counter beat to Clark's clenched fist.

After only a few seconds, Lex's body reacted to Clark's ministrations. In a manner similar to the way Clark's body reacted to his handiwork, Lex's entire body tensed up moments before his body produced wave upon wave of vibrations, leaving him shaking like a leaf as Clark pulled his hand away.

Then, the alarm went off.

Sharp and repetitious like torture, the evil blaring invaded Clark's heavenly dream. Cursing under his breath, he reached out from under his blanket, trying to remember not to break the thing when he pushed the button. Extending his hand, Clark pushed down where the alarm should have been, but felt only air.

For a second, he searched around with his hand alone. Finally, Clark pushed the quilt from his face. Yawning, he stretched out for a second before looking over at what should have been his bedside lamp and instead was the top of his bookcase. Closing his eyes, Clark shook his head hard a couple times. Reopening his eyes, he still saw the top of the bookcase. Perplexed, he tried to sit up, but stopped when his head collided with the ceiling.

Suddenly, reality struck and it struck hard. Upon realizing that he was floating, Clark fell. Slamming against the tired springs of his bed, he bounced more than once. Grasping the mattress for dear life, he looked up at the space where he was just floating. For a moment, Clark was afraid to let go of the mattress for fear of flying away, but eventually, he let go of the bed and sat up.

Swinging his feet over the edge, he was relieved to feel the carpet under his feet. Standing up, he patted his chest and waited to see what would happen. One minute passed. Two minutes passed. Nothing happened. Exhaling loudly, Clark relaxed.

"Clark! Wake up, your Father is already out in the fields," yelled Martha, her commanding voice reaching Clark all the way from the kitchen.

Jumping with surprise, Clark pressed his hand over his chest. Feeling his rapidly beating heart, he closed his eyes and thought, 'Get a hold of yourself.' Looking upward with apprehension, Clark shifted uncomfortably due to the clammy cum plastered over his groin and mused, 'Of course, that could have been the problem.'

--<{()}>--

September 3, 2002
4:00p.m.
Smallville High

"Hey Justin, wait up!" shouted Clark.

Turning around, Justin stopped at the base of the front steps and waited for Clark to catch up to him. Once Clark stood beside him, Justin looked up and asked, "What's up, Clark?"

Darting his eyes about, Clark whispered, "I have something I wanted to talk to you about, but I can't talk about it here."

Eyeing Clark suspiciously, Justin looked around and replied, "Are you being followed or something? You seem very nervous."

Shaking his head, Clark answered, "No. It's nothing like that. I'm not being stalked or anything."

"Okay. Um. Follow me," said Justin with a shrug.

Together, Justin and Clark walked to the back of the school. There, Justin jumped onto the bleachers facing the track and field area. Football and cheerleader try-outs took place in the distance, but other than that, the place was deserted. Scooting across one aisle, Justin sat down in the center of a long bench, dropping his backpack on the bench to his right. Looking over at Clark who still stood on the grass, Justin patted the seat to the left of him.

Smiling nervously, Clark stepped onto the bleachers and made his way over to Justin. Slipping his backpack off his shoulder, Clark placed the bag at his feet. Sitting down heavily, Clark took a deep breath and said, "I've been having some strange things happen with my powers, lately. It's kind of freaking me out."

Leaning forward, Justin turned suddenly serious as he placed his elbows on his knees and replied, "Define strange."

Glancing over at Justin, Clark paused for a second before saying, "Strange as in I'm not controlling them. It's like they have a mind of their own."

Nodding, Justin offered, "Something, I'm familiar with."

Looking directly at Justin, Clark asked, "It's been happening to you, too?"

Nodding, Justin glanced at Clark and answered, "Yes, it's been happening. A lot. I get so tired, Clark. It's getting harder to keep the swirling forces calm. Especially, if things are really intense, like if I'm, y'know, alone with Chloe. Then control is a thing of the past."

Blushing, Clark remembered floating after waking from the dream. Licking his lips, Clark said, "Yeah. I know what you mean."

Squinting, Justin lurched back and asked, "Excuse me? Since when have you been getting some?"

Looking down, Clark thought fast and replied, "Since this weekend. Nothing happened at the time, but later my powers went haywire."

Laughing hard, Justin quipped, "Let me guess - the sheets were sticky that fine morning."

Nodding, Clark said, "Yeah, you could say that."

"So, I guess the girl's a tease. Got your engine revved, but forgot to turn it off again," remarked Justin.

Still looking at the ground, Clark answered, "Sort of."

"Yeah, I had that happen. More than once. I'd wake up the next morning and everything not nailed down would be zooming around me. I'll tell ya, there were mornings I was glad my Mother never comes in my room."

"You spoke in the past tense. Is there a way to stop this? Because my Mother does come into my room and I don't want her seeing this," asked Clark.

"Well, the only cure I found was doing it. Get the frustration out. Cause that's what it is, y'know - Frustration. It's like when you're mad or excited. The frustration is just another intense feeling. It's melting away the holds you put in place. Once you do it, the frustration's gone. At least, for a while."

Nodding, Clark pondered making his dream a reality as he said, "Thanks for the advice."

"No problem," replied Justin.

Suddenly smirking, Justin asked, "So, what's her name?"

"Who?" inquired Clark.

"What do you mean who? The girl who turned your key. Who is she?" said Justin with a conspiratorial gleam in his eye.

Running his hand through his hair, Clark replied, "Um. I can't tell you that."

Looking down, Justin frowned as he said, "Oh."

Then, Justin's eyes grew large and he turned toward Clark and asked, "It wasn't Lana, was it?"

"No!" exclaimed Clark. After a breath, Clark continued, "Lana's just a friend."

Looking back down, Justin frowned again, then shrugged and said, "Oh. Okay. It's cool." Standing up, Justin continued, "Dude, I gotta get home. Homework. That whole thing."

Nodding, Clark stood up and started scooting to the end of the aisle. Looking back at Justin, Clark concurred, "I hear ya, man. I can't believe they assigned so much the first day."

Slapping Clark lightly on the shoulder, Justin said, "Oh well. No one ever promised me that life would be fair."

Jumping to the dirt, Justin and Clark walked back to the front of the school. At the front steps, Justin and Clark stopped in their tracks. A good fifteen feet in front of them stood a pair of football players involved in an act of obvious intimidation. The diminutive sophomore who was the focus of their bullying was a good foot shorter than his tormenters and clearly scared out of his mind. Backed up against a wall, the boy stared wide-eyed and helpless up at the two football players. Laughing cruelly, one of the football players reached out and traced a "S" on his victim's chest and said, "Y'know what, Brian? I bet a bright red "S" would look great right here. What do you think, Dave? Is our man Brian here scarecrow material?"

Grabbing a hold of Brian's t-shirt, Dave hauled the terrified boy closer. In a menacing whisper, Dave replied, "Oh yeah, Chris. Brian is definitely in the running."

Standing on the front steps, Clark flinched. Beside him, Justin remarked, "That reminds me. Who was the scarecrow, last year?"

Continuing to look directly at the violent scene before him, remembering the way the ropes dug into his arms on that cold October night, Clark thought, 'Me,' but answered, "Nobody knows. A past scarecrow showed up bent on vengeance. He killed a few people and the news sort of overshadowed last year's scarecrow."

Looking away from the school, Justin began to head away from the school. A couple steps passed before Justin looked back in time to see Clark take his first step toward Dave and Chris. Running back to Clark, Justin surrounded him in a mentally projected force field. Reaching through the barrier, Justin grabbed him by the arm and said, "Clark, don't. This isn't any of our business."

Training his intense glare on Justin's face, Clark disagreed, "No, Justin, this is our business. This whole scarecrow thing is wrong and we have the ability to stop it. That makes it our business."

Still holding Clark's arm, Justin looked over at Dave and Chris. Spreading his finger's wide, Justin let go of Clark and took a step back, taking his force field with him. Silently, Justin watched as Clark ran down the steps, bent on confrontation.

Stopping few feet from Chris and Dave, Clark ordered, "Leave him alone."

Glancing over their shoulders, Dave and Chris laughed.

Turning back to Brian, Dave said, "Get lost, Kent."

Smirking, Chris concurred, "Yeah, Clark. Wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you."

With a chuckle, they refocused their attention on Brian. For his part, Brian looked past his harasser's terrifying bulk, meeting Clark's eyes. With a woeful expression, Brian begged him for help. In response, Clark stepped up, grabbed Chris by the arm and repeated, "I said, leave him alone."

While Dave kept Brian pinned to the wall, Chris turned around. Smiling widely, Chris said, "What are you gonna do, Kent? Sic your rich friend on us."

"No, I'll do this," said Clark as he threw Chris aside with a casual flick of his wrist. Reaching out with his left hand, he seized Dave by the right shoulder. Spinning Dave to the left, Clark slammed him against the wall, causing the back of his head to snap back against the plaster with an audible crack. As Dave slid down the wall, Clark looked down and told Brian, "Run."

Wasting no time, Brian complied.

"What the hell did you do to him, Kent?" cried Chris as he knelt beside Dave. Slapping Dave's face, Chris shook him. "Dave? Dave?"

Clark's proud face withered. The brilliant glow of his eyes dulled. Backing away quickly, Clark yelled, "I'll go get the nurse."

As he ran up the stairs, Clark glanced at Justin quickly before disappearing into the school. A few minutes later, Clark returned with the school nurse in tow. Gasping at the sight of Dave's conscious body, Mrs. Rivers ran down the stairs as fast as her 54 year-old legs could carry her. Kneeling down beside Dave, Mrs. Rivers opened his eyes, flashing a penlight inside. Something she saw comforted her because she let out a heavy sigh and proceeded to take his pulse. After a minute passed, she pulled out a tube of smelling salts and waved them under Dave's nose.

Instantly, Dave roused. Recoiling weakly from the foul-smelling substance, Dave moaned loudly. Kneeling beside Mrs. Rivers, Chris asked, "Is he alright, Mrs. Rivers?"

With Chris' assistance, Mrs. Rivers pulled Dave up to a seated position. Slowly, she waved her right index finger in front of Dave's eyes. Carefully, she watched Dave as he followed her finger. After a few seconds, she stopped and smiled. Reaching around to feel the goose egg sized bump on the back of Dave's head, Mrs. Rivers replied, "I think so, but I want to have his parents take him to the hospital. Make sure there's no concussion."

From the double door school entrance, the stern voice belonging to Principal Kwan rang out, "What is going on here?"

Without pause, Chris pointed his finger at Clark and said, "He slammed Dave against the wall."

Pointing right back at Chris, Clark contended, "Only because you two were beating up on Brian."

Stepping between Clark and Chris, Kwan held up his hands to silence them. "Enough." Turning to Chris, Kwan asked, "Brian, who?"

Chris' face paled as he stuttered, "I don't know what Kent is talking about. We weren't doing nothing."

"Liar," yelled Clark.

In a louder voice, Kwan once again said, "Enough." Looking at Clark, Kwan asked, "Brian, who?"

"Brian Dimov," answered Clark.

"A sophomore," observed Kwan.

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yes, sir."

Looking over at Dave and Chris, Principal Kwan ordered, "I want all three of you boys in my office, right now."

"Aw, come on. We're the victims here," cried Chris.

Looking back at Chris, Kwan stated, "I very much doubt that, but it doesn't really matter. This school has a zero tolerance policy on fighting. So, let's go."

Turning toward Clark, Kwan's eyes softened. Imploring Clark to not give him trouble with his eyes, Kwan whispered, "You too, Clark."

Nodding, Clark turned toward the double doors. Halfway up the stairs, Clark noticed Justin standing there. For a moment their eyes met before Clark bowed his head and entered the school.

In the principal's office, Clark, Chris and Dave sat side by side. Backs pressed stiffly against the wooden seatbacks, they listened to Principal Kwan's lecture. "Fighting of any kind is unacceptable on school grounds. It's unacceptable anywhere, but especially here. This is a school. Violent actions are disruptive to the learning environment and will not occur at my school. You are here to learn, not to tear each other limb from limb."

"No excuse is good enough. Mainly, because turning to violence first is indicative of an unimaginative mind and a weak character. It is the low road. It is something you should aspire to be better than."

"Boys, someday, you will not be protected by the walls of this school or the tenderness of your years. Someday, you will be men and you must learn now that people will judge you by the manner in which you assert yourself."

Watching Kwan lean against his desk with his hands gripping the wooden edge, Clark murmured, "Yes, sir."

Beside Clark, Chris laughed under his breath.

In a flash, Kwan was leaning over Chris' suddenly frightened figure. "Mr. Bowen, I am not playing with you. I know that previous principals coddled the football team, but I will not be carrying out that tradition."

Stepping back, Kwan continued, "You are all suspended for one day. As such, you two will not be playing in the first game. If I see anymore of this type of behavior from either of you, you won't play at all this year."

Centering on Dave and Chris' contrary expressions, Kwan emphasized, "Football is an extra-curricular activity. As such, it is a privilege that can be taken away. Now, go wait in the reception. Your parents have already been called and you are to wait until they come to collect you. Now."

Meekly, Chris and Dave stood up. Walking to the door, they both threw malicious glances at Clark as they walked out of the room. Principal Kwan followed them to the door where he watched them sit down in the reception before stepping back into his office and closing the door.

Quietly, Kwan walked over to his desk. Leaning against it as he had before, Kwan spoke softly to Clark, "Clark, I wish there was something I could do. I have a feeling you had the best of intentions, just like you did with Justin. Of course, Justin walked away from that without medical intervention."

Looking at Clark, Kwan observed, "I feel indebted to you, Clark. Justin came to my home that day intending to do much worse than he did. Because of you, I was not harmed."

Interrupting Principal Kwan, Clark pointed out, "Because of me, your son is in prison."

Shaking his head, Kwan pushed away from his desk. Crossing the room, Kwan sat beside Clark and said, "No, Clark, that was Danny's fault."

Placing his right hand on Clark's left shoulder, Kwan offered a bit of advice. "Watch yourself, Clark. You are associating with dangerous people and I fear they are affecting you."

Patiently, Clark waited for Principal Kwan to finish before saying, "I thank you for the advice, Mr. Kwan, but it's not what you think at all."

Nodding, Kwan stood up. Slowly, he walked over to the door to his office and opened it. Looking back at Clark, Kwan said, "Very well. Please wait in reception for your parents, Clark."

--<{()}>--

Later That Night
Kent Farm

With enough strength to rattle the frame, Jonathan Kent slammed the front door shut. Stomping into the house, he didn't even pause as he threw his keys on the table by the door. Walking briskly, he headed directly for the living room. There, he stood facing the mantel, staring at the pictures of his son. With his hands in his pant pockets, Jonathan listened to the cautious sounds made by his family as they entered the living room.

Turning around, Jonathan roughly ran his hand through his hair. Taking in a deep breath, he held it for a few seconds before letting it out slowly. Finally, he looked at his son and found all the calming procedures he'd just committed were completely useless as he started shouting. "Do you have any idea what you could have done to that boy? You could have killed him. You could have paralyzed him. Not to mention the risk you put yourself and this family in by using your powers in public."

Shaking his head, Clark countered, "No. You will not make me feel bad about what I did. I agree I could have done things differently, but I had to do something. They plan on making him the next scarecrow. Do you realize that? Do you even care? God, people in this town see it happening every year and do nothing. They do nothing to stop it. Well, I'm not like anyone else and I refuse to be like everyone else when it comes to this.

Staring in disbelief at Clark, Jonathan argued, "It's more than that, Clark. Do you realize what you have done to your future?"

"You didn't answer me," said Clark, defiantly.

"What did you say?" asked Jonathan.

Looking his Father dead in the eye, Clark stated, "I said, you didn't answer my question: Do you even care?"

The anger in Jonathan's face faltered. Looking down for a second, Jonathan managed to meet his son's eyes again as he replied, "I can't be thinking about other men's sons. I can only think of my own. This suspension will show on your permanent record. You can practically throw any thought you had of a scholarship out the window, right now, Clark. I can't afford to send you to college. A scholarship was the only way you were going to get there and now that's gone."

"Not necessarily," countered Clark.

"It that so," said Jonathan sarcastically.

"That's right. I'm sure I can still get the LuthorCorp scholarship," argued Clark.

Throwing up his hands, Jonathan stated, "Lex Luthor. Of course. You plan on playing lapdog to a rich man for the rest of your life, Clark? Do you? You think you can count on Luthor's money to be there to protect you, but it won't be. Lex Luthor is just like his Father, Clark. He will promise you the moon and the stars until he gets what he wants or gets bored. Then, he'll throw you aside, forgotten and a lot worse off."

As Jonathan raged, Clark remembered his time on that Scarecrow post. As his Father flung insults, Clark recalled how it was Lex who found him, untied him. The very man being torn apart was the man who rescued Clark, but he was more than that. Lex was so much more than that, especially now. So, in response to his Father's tirade, Clark began one of his own. "I don't care what you think of Lex because it doesn't affect what I think of him. And, all this talk of college. You talk about college like it's some way for me to get out, but look at you. You went to Met U., Dad, and where did it get you?"

Off to the side, silent throughout this exchange, Martha Kent finally found her voice. "Clark. Joseph. Kent. I never want to hear you speak that way, ever again. This man is your Father and you will show him some respect. Is that understood? Is it?"

Silenced by his Mother's anger, Clark nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

Trembling with rage, Martha whispered, "I do realize the scarecrow happens every year and I realize you care very deeply about it, but there are better ways to handle this kind of problem, Clark. You've always been so strong and we've tried to teach you control, not to protect other people, but to protect you. You, Clark. We taught you to hide not because we're ashamed, but because we were afraid of the kind of people who would come for you and what they would do to you when they found you. You need to consider more than just one moment in time. You need be cautious of what you do because we have done all this so that there can be a future for you."

Bent beneath his Mother's quiet fury, Clark could only nod in response.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Martha looked down at the carpet as she commanded, "Now, go to your room and I better not find you outside of it until your Father and I come to tell you what your punishment is."

With his shoulders hunched over, Clark walked over to the staircase. With his foot on the first step, Clark turned toward his Mom. Before he could speak a word, Martha said in a strong, clear voice, "Go."

Using super speed, Clark raced up the stairs. He didn't stop until he closed his bedroom door behind him.

A little over an hour later, Martha and Jonathan entered Clark's room. In a steady, emotionless voice, Jonathan told Clark he was grounded for the next four weeks. No going over to a friend's house. No hanging out with Pete. No phone calls. No Lex. No Talon. Not even for deliveries. Clark could only go to school and go home. That was it. That was all.

After Jonathan finished he asked, "Do you have any questions?"

In response, Clark shook his head.

Nodding once, Jonathan motioned to Martha that it was time to leave. Grabbing the doorknob, Jonathan started to pull the door closed behind them when he stopped and looked back at Clark. "Be ready at first light. Since you're not going to school tomorrow, you can help me with the back forty."

With that said, Jonathan closed the door.

--<{()}>--

September 4, 2002
Kent Barn

"Clark?"

Clark turned away from his telescope long enough to see Lana ascend to the top of the stairs. Nodding at her, Clark turned back to his telescope.

The brush-off took Lana by surprise. With a curious expression, Lana walked over to Clark and placed a hand on his back. With slow circles, Lana whispered, "I talked to Justin when you didn't come to school today. I know what happened."

Pulling away from his telescope completely. Clark stood up, feeling Lana's hand descend to his waist. Reaching up with his left hand, he took her hand in his and gently squeezed it. Wordlessly, he walked to the couch, pulling her along as he did. Sitting down heavily, he drew her down on the sofa beside him.

Kneeling on the comfortable cushions, Lana placed her right hand on Clark's shoulder while running the fingertips of her left hand along his brow. In hushed tones, Lana asked, "It was the scarecrow?"

First, Clark flinched. Then, he barely nodded.

Soothingly, Lana ran her fingertips down the right side of Clark's face. Cupping his cheek in the palm of her hand, she sighed, "Oh Clark."

In her intent to comfort, Lana wound her arms around Clark's neck. With her head on his shoulder, she recalled, "I can't believe I was a part of all that once. Miss Cheerleading Homecoming Queen."

Haltingly, Clark started to rub his chin against the top of her head. Quietly, he assured, "But you left it behind."

Pulling away, Lana ran her left hand down his chin. "Not before it touched you."

Shaking his head, Clark said, "I thought I was the one with the guilt trip."

Laughing, Lana agreed, "I know. I think you're rubbing off on me."

Together, they laughed. Lana laughed so hard she had to close her misty eyes. With a jolt of surprise, Lana realized Clark's arms were wrapping around her, drawing her closer. Soon, she could feel his head on her shoulder and she couldn't resist the urge to place her hand on the back it. Closing her eyes, Lana drank in the moment, wanting so much for it to be real. But her mind knew what her heart did not.

With good sense, she pushed away. Looking into his sad eyes, Lana said, "Maybe, if I'd broken up with Whitney when I first felt the urge. Maybe, if I figured out a way not to be so shallow just a little bit sooner. You wouldn't have this to haunt you."

Shaking his head, Clark replied, "No. It wasn't your fault, Lana. And Whitney."

"Isn't you," interjected Lana. Placing her fingers to Clark's lips, Lana continued, "He's coming home for Thanksgiving, y'know. I'm still not sure how I'm going to face him."

"Do you love him?" asked Clark.

"He loves me," answered Lana.

Squinting, Clark looked at Lana. "That's not what I asked."

"I know," replied Lana. "But it's the only answer I have to give. After all, not everyone gets to be with the man of their dreams."

Suddenly, an angry feminine voice rang out, "What is going on in here?"

Pulling away from each other, they jumped off the couch. Standing side by side, Lana fidgeted as Martha Kent leaned over the railing and said, "He's up here, Jonathan."

Soon, heavy footfalls repeated up the stairs until Jonathan Kent saw the unpleasant scene. Angry, he marched up to Clark and asked, "What's the meaning of this?"

Shrugging, Clark answered defiantly, "I was just talking to a friend."

"You're grounded or do you not remember that?" inquired Jonathan.

"How could I forget?" Clark replied.

From behind Jonathan, Martha said, "Lana, I think it's time for you to go home, now."

Nodding, Lana stared at the tension in the room. Shivering, she said, "Yes, Mrs. Kent."

Turning to Clark, she whispered, "See you around, Clark."

Clark nodded, but didn't look at her. He was too busy trying to win a staring match with his Father.

After Lana left the barn, Jonathan railed, "I don't know what's gotten into you lately, Clark but it had better stop."

Shaking his head, Clark sarcastically asked, "Or what?"

Disbelief shadowed Jonathan Kent's features. "What did you say?"

"You heard me. What are you going to do? Ground me again?" said Clark.

For a second, Jonathan just stood there, chewing on his bottom lip. Then, he was stomping away with slumped shoulders and a shaking head.

As Jonathan departed, Martha watched as guilt flashed across Clark's face. She was at a loss. Helpless, she followed her son as he sat down on the sofa. The ire in her heart died as she saw him drop his face into his hands. Wringing her hands, Martha carefully approached Clark. Sitting beside him, she bit her lip when he flinched at her touch. Taking a deep breath, she said, "Clark, what's going on? Why are you so angry?"

Once again, Clark felt the anger of that long ago day. He recalled how he'd told Whitney, "Don't mess with me right now." His face hot and burning, he remembered how the jocks laughed when Whitney put the necklace on him. Sitting up straight, Clark rubbed his right hand against his chest and recalled how the meteor rock burned against his skin, but by then all he could do was lean forward on the scarecrow post and let it dangle as far from his body as possible.

Again, Martha reached out to her boy. Again, he cringed in response.

From the house, the shrill ringing of the telephone could be heard. Standing up, Martha hesitated before turning away from Clark. As she opened the barn door, the ringing stopped. By the time she reached the kitchen door, all that remained of the phone call was Jonathan slamming down the receiver. Closing the door quietly, Martha watched as Jonathan quickly stomped up the stairs without saying goodnight.

--<{()}>--

One Minute Earlier
Luthor Castle

Leaning back in his chair, Lex flipped open his cell phone with a smile. Calmly, he punched in the Kent's phone number. Bringing the phone to his ear, he waited patiently for someone to answer the phone. Silently, he hoped the person who picked up the phone would be Martha Kent.

For the thousandth time in his life, Lex realized fate did not like him as Jonathan Kent's brusque voice came over the line, "Hello?"

Grimacing, Lex swallowed once before he said, "Mr. Kent. Hello. May I speak to Clark?"

"no. You. MAY. NOT!"

The sharp slamming down of the phone stung Lex's ear. Turning off his phone, Lex slowly shook hearing back into his head. As he placed the phone gently down on his desk, Lex whispered, "Well, that was just rude."

--<{()}>--

September 5, 2002
Kent Farm

"Mrs. Kent?" asked Lex as he stood outside the kitchen door.

Turning around suddenly, Martha stared open mouthed at Lex. With her hands braced on the counter behind her, Martha said, "Lex. I don't think it's such a good idea for you to be here."

"I tried to call," offered Lex by way of an explanation.

Bowing her head, Martha pulled her hands forward until she was clutching them tightly in front of her waist. "I know."

Looking up, Martha returned Lex's hopeless expression. As if lost, she looked around the kitchen before crossing the room quickly and unlocking the screen door. Looking about the farm as Lex crossed the threshold, Martha exhaled loudly when she didn't see Jonathan anywhere nearby.

At first, she was uncomfortable in her own kitchen. Then, she stepped gingerly to the right and with a sweep of her hand offered Lex a seat at the kitchen table.

Quietly, they sat. After a moment, Lex leaned forward and asked, "Mrs. Kent, what happened? I heard Clark didn't go to school yesterday. Is he okay?"

Nodding, Martha answered, "Yes, he's fine. Or, at least, he isn't sick."

Narrowing his eyes, Lex asked, "What do you mean?"

Tears shimmering in her eyes, Martha replied, "Clark was suspended from school."

"What? Why?" exclaimed Lex.

"He beat up two boys," said Martha. Looking at Lex, she confided, "This isn't like him, but he's angry. Oh Lex, he's so angry. It's not like him. The other night, he said horrible things to his Father. I've never seen Clark act with such disrespect."

Interlacing his fingers, Lex rested his hands on the table. Taking in a deep breath, Lex asked, "What was the fight at school about?"

Looking down at her hands, Martha traced the dark lines in the wooden tabletop as she whispered, "The scarecrow. Clark saw two football players picking on some sophomore. He was trying to do something honorable by protecting that boy, but he went about it the wrong way. He hurt one of the football players. He left the boy unconscious. As a result, he was suspended from school for one day."

As Martha spoke, Lex watched her. He saw the severe lines surrounding her mouth and how her lips quivered with each word. He noticed the trembling of her fingers and the barely restrained tears in her eyes. He searched her face more than once. In it, he found sadness. He found hopelessness, too, but he didn't find understanding. That was when it dawned on him that Mrs. Kent didn't know about Clark being last year's scarecrow. She didn't know because Clark never told her. Looking across the table at her pain filled expression, Lex wondered if it was his secret to tell.

"He's been angry ever since the fight. It's just not like him. He's always been a good boy. He did his chores. He brought home good grades and never got in trouble. Now, he walks around with a permanent black cloud over his head. He won't tell me what's wrong, but I can tell something is eating at him," lamented Martha.

Martha's words made up Lex's mind. Leaning forward, he grasped one of her shaking hands. He licked his lips more than once before he said, "Mrs. Kent, I think I may know what's bothering Clark. Perhaps, if you knew, you would better understand why he's acting the way he is."

"What is it, Lex?" Leaning toward him, Martha waited for Lex to continue with baited breath.

"What is he doing here?"

Together, Lex and Martha looked at the kitchen door. There stood an angry Jonathan Kent.

Instantly, Lex recoiled from Martha and pushed away from the table. Standing up, he nodded at Martha once before turning toward the kitchen door. "I was just leaving, Mr. Kent."

Jonathan pulled open the screen door and waited. As Lex passed him, Jonathan sneered, "Clark is grounded for the next four weeks. If you respect this family as much as you claim, then you won't try to contact him behind our backs before his punishment is over."

Silently, Lex agreed with a nod. Frowning, he glanced back at Mrs. Kent one last time before walking away.

Desperately, Martha followed Lex's retreating form. In his departure, she saw her last chance to reach Clark disappear. As she watched Lex slip into his car, Martha knew she would never know now what was bothering Clark and it was all Jonathan's fault.

--<{()}>--

October 1, 2002
Talon Cafe

"Here's a cup of coffee for our newly liberated friend," said Lana, cheerfully, as she placed a steaming cup on the table in front of Clark.

"Thanks, Lana," replied Clark as he eagerly reached for the coffee.

"Damn, Clark. I've never seen a man so happy to see a cup of coffee before in my life," laughed Justin.

Snorting into a half-swallow, Clark coughed a couple times before saying, "Well, I couldn't get fresh Talon coffee at school, could I?"

Looking around, Clark asked, "Where is Pete anyway?"

"Are you kidding?" asked Chloe. "Mr. Ross pulls more disappearing acts lately than you do. It seems like the Governor's campaign is the center of his world right now."

Shrugging, Clark thought as he reached for his mug, 'Yeah, but I thought he was my friend.' Bringing the ceramic edge to his lips, he savored the bittersweet smell. He sat perfectly still for a moment before letting his head fall back onto the back of the sofa on which he sat. Exhaling loudly, Clark sighed, "It feels so good to be free again."

Giggling wildly, Chloe joked, "I've heard the inside can do horrible things to a man, Clark. Your thoughts."

Stretching his arms over his head, Clark let out an airy chuckle. Lowering his arms, Clark leaned toward Chloe and said with a perfectly serious tone, "It's all true. The horror of it all. My God, the horror."

The group erupted with laughter. From the seat to the right of Clark, Marcus slapped a strong hand on Clark's shoulder and said, "Well, you took it like a man. Now, you've done your time. Paid your debt."

"Yeah, Clark. You've made your way through the Smallville and Kent Family justice systems and are now returned as a rehabilitated, productive member of society. So, what are your plans?" asked Lana as she slid onto the sofa arm to Clark's left. Absently, she tapped out a beat on her left thigh with her serving tray as she slid an arm around Clark's neck. Quickly, Lana hugged Clark, allowing herself the simple pleasure of smelling his hair before pulling away.

Shrugging easily under Lana's weight, Clark tried to hide his sigh of relief when she finally let go of him. Looking up at Lana, Clark answered, "Not sure. I don't think I can go back to old routines after being on the inside for so long."

Across from Clark, Justin leaned back against the cushions. Drawing Chloe closer to him, Justin offered, "Hey, buddy, I'm sorry for not backing your play that day. I know I've said this before, but maybe if I'd done something."

Shaking his head, Clark brushed some of Lana's hair away from his face as he assured, "No, Justin. It's okay. No point in both of us being suspended. Forget about it, okay?"

Nodding, Justin said, "Okay."

Meeting Clark's eyes, he saw understanding there and nodded sharply once more. "Okay."

Suddenly, Justin looked past Clark and smirked. Beside him, Chloe bowed her head as she snuck impish peeks at something just past Clark's shoulder. Bringing her right hand up, Chloe couldn't resist chewing on her index finger as a wide smile covered her mouth.

At the same moment, a pair of manicured hands covered Clark's eyes.

In response, Clark sat straight up, shoving Lana aside in the process. Twisting his head from side to side, he finally managed to turn all the way around. Facing his attacker, a broad smile filled Clark's face a couple seconds before he reached up and drew the hands away. Giving the hands a quick squeeze, he exclaimed, "Lex!"

Lex withdrew his hands immediately. Tucking them safely in his coat pockets, he wound his way around the sofa until he was standing beside Clark. Without a glance at Lana, he took the spot from which she was recently ousted. With his right leg curled up on the sofa arm, Lex balanced himself on his left leg as he drew his wool duster around him. Looking down at Clark, he flashed a small smile as he said, "Hey, Clark."

The urge to reach out and just grab Lex was painfully intense. Somehow, Clark managed to resist it. Entranced by Lex's very presence, Clark mused, 'It feels like years, not just weeks since I last saw you.'

A cry rang out, "Don't touch me!"

Then, a tray of ceramic mugs smashed to the ground. Everyone in the cafe turned around at the same time and saw the same thing - Chris Bowen holding tightly onto Laura Lowell. Laura's face was contorted with anger and fear as she pushed back against Chris' chest. "Let go."

Smiling smugly, Chris dug his fingers deeper into the soft flesh of Laura's arms. "Aww c'mon honey."

Faster than a moment. Faster than even Clark. Marcus stood. Hopping on the sofa cushions, he jumped in a single fluid motion over the sofa back. Landing on his feet, he walked purposefully over to Chris. Within a few short strides, Marcus reached Chris. Towering over him by a good six inches, he made a powerful impression. Instantly, Chris loosened his hold on Laura's arms. Wriggling away from Chris, Laura stepped in front of Marcus and placed her hands flat against his chest. Pushing against Marcus' still advancing body, Laura said, "Marcus, don't. He's not worth it. Please. Marcus, he's just not worth it."

Luckily for Chris, Laura got through. Slowly, by a manner of degrees, Marcus relaxed as he wound a tension filled arm around Laura's waist. Pulling Laura away from Chris and the other four football players sitting at the table, Marcus stood stiffly, glaring at Chris all the while.

Unluckily for Chris, Clark followed closely behind Marcus. Unlike Marcus, he wasn't satisfied by Laura's release. He continued to advance until it was clear what he intended to do. Bringing up both hands, he charged into Chris. Shoving him back hard, Clark watched as Chris fell back onto his chair that broke beneath his weight, sending him sprawling across the floor.

Looking up from the scraps of wood that were once a chair, Chris watched Clark take a step forward. Glancing over his shoulder, Chris called out, "Get this geek!"

Four football players pressed forward, their red letterman jackets flashing as they surrounded Clark. From his vantage point on the floor, Chris laughed, "Hey, tough guy. You're not such tough shit now, are you?"

Glancing about at the boys surrounding him, Clark stood silent. The only action he made was to widen his stance.

"What's the matter, Kent? Cat got your tongue? Yeah, that's how it always is with you. All talk, no show. Just like last year," taunted Chris as he slowly stood.

"Shut up, Chris," said Clark in a low voice.

With a short burst of cruel laughter, Chris continued, "Ooo, more big words from Clark Kent. Yeah, you were all in Whitney's face when we came for you, but you didn't say a damn thing as we strung you up."

"That does it!"

Fearlessly, Lana entered the circle of football players. In her hand, she held Chloe's cell phone in a white-knuckled grip. Pointing at the cell phone, Lana threatened, "Get out of here now, Chris, and take the rest of them with you. Now, before I call 911 and have you all arrested."

Stunned, it took a moment for Chris to respond. "You can't be serious. Lana, you're Whitney's girl. You wouldn't do that to us."

Taking a cautious step toward Chris, Lana said, "Oh yeah? Think again. Go! Or, so help me God, I will call. Just guess what that'll do to your chances of playing in the homecoming game."

Chris went pale. Taking a step back, he half-stumbled on the broken chair at his feet. Glancing around the room, Chris started giggling nervously. Motioning to the guys to back off, Chris managed another step backwards as he replied, "That's okay. We're leaving. No need to get crazy on us. We're just a little excited."

Crossing her arms, Lana leaned back on her right leg. "Well, be excited someplace else."

Putting up his hands, Chris backed away faster now. "Okay. Okay. Damn, Lang. You want to know something you were a lot easier to like when you just some pom-pom tossing princess."

Looking around at the Talon's wide-eyed customers, Chris tugged on his jacket, and then turned toward the front doors, exiting in a huff. His football playing entourage followed closely behind.

In their wake, laughter broke out throughout the cafe.

In the midst of the din, Lana made her way to Laura. With an employer's concern, Lana placed her hand on Laura's shoulder and asked, "Are you okay?"

Laura responded with a shy, bobbing nod. Snuggling closer to Marcus, she made no attempt to cover up her shock and fading traces of fear.

Nodding, Lana looked at Marcus and asked, "Could you wait a few minutes to make sure Chris isn't still waiting out there and then take her home, please?"

As a way of response, Marcus rubbed Laura's arm as he pulled her closer to him. Backing up, Marcus didn't stop until the back of the couch in which he once sat pressed against his lower back. Drawing Laura into a hug, Marcus wrapped his arms around her while never taking his eyes off of Lana.

By the time Lana finished with Laura, Clark was already being tended. Beside him, Lex stared warily at his angry, tense body. Gently, he patted Clark on the back as he whispered, "Clark, relax. It's over."

Not looking at Lex, Clark answered, "It's never over."

From behind them, Chloe asked, "Clark? What was that they were saying about last year?"

Clark flinched.

Turning around suddenly, Lex looked Chloe dead in the eye and said, "Stop being a reporter for one fucking second."

Turning his attention once again to Clark, Lex ignored Chloe's offended expression. In fact, he ignored all but Clark. Gently, but firmly, he tugged on one of Clark's arms until Clark followed him out of the Talon.

Swiftly, Lex made his way to his silver Porsche. A minute later, he directed Clark into the passenger seat. Two minutes after that, Lex sped down the street. Through Smallville's quiet thoroughfares, they rode in silence. Along the way, they stole the occasional glance and made the flinching movements of muscles wanting to move, but did nothing and said not a word. Still, they drove on without conversation until the buildings fell away and the open tranquility of Smallville's country roads beckoned them onward.

It was along one such lonely stretch of road that Lex pulled his car over. Turning off the engine, Lex braced himself before facing Clark, "Clark, this isn't like you. You're not the kind to pick a fight, especially with five guys."

For a second, Clark quietly sat. Then, he looked at Lex and said, "What kind am I then?"

Squinting, Lex sensed there was clearly more to the question than was readily apparent. Tilting his head to the right, Lex said, "You're a good guy, Clark. You're a white hat. You're always the one who does the right thing."

Carefully, Lex watched as the hard lines of Clark's face softened. As Clark relaxed in his seat, he continued, "You're the kind that feels personally responsible for the bad things that happen around you."

Slowly, Clark bowed his head.

Encouraged, Lex persisted, "Your kind makes it up to the world for the rest of us being here."

Startled, Clark met Lex's eyes. Reaching over, Clark stopped the next words from passing Lex's lips by pressing his fingertips against them. Leaning over, Clark exchanged his fingers for his lips. Clark's kiss was like a light breeze, refreshing and too quickly departed. As he pulled back, Lex stopped him.

With his hands on opposite sides of Clark's face, Lex whispered, "Madness doesn't suit you, but that's where you're headed."

Pulling away from Lex, Clark pressed his back against the car door. Slowly, he replied, "No, Lex. I just want it to stop. I don't want anyone else to go through that. I want to be the last one."

Leaning forward, Lex spoke in a steady voice, "You can't do it all, Clark. You can't right every wrong. If you try, you'll find another crisis just takes the place of the one you just resolved."

Shaking his head, Clark argued, "I can't believe that. There has to be a way."

Narrowing his eyes, Lex asked, "Clark, what are you planning?"

Clark looked directly into Lex's eyes and whispered, "Best you not know."

--<{()}>--

Homecoming Day 2002
Reilly Field

Planted in the midst of twenty foot diameter clearing stood a tattered scarecrow tied to a bent and rusted post. Twenty feet away from it, down a narrow row, crouched Clark Kent. Keenly, he listened for the slightest sound. Resolute, he waited for a sign of the trials to come. His knees muddied and his back sore, Clark kept his eye on the scarecrow and waited for a while more.

In the distance, two trucks pulled to the side of the road on the edge of the cornfield. As the motors ceased, cheers rang out. Profane hoots and hollers filled the quiet night. Soon, the rustling of cornstalks and weak protests spoken by a terrified voice joined them. The cacophony grew louder with each passing second, finally erupting as six football players emerged from the corn. Wrestling helplessly against their superior strength, Brian Dimov screamed.

"Shut the fuck up," said Chris as he pulled off one of his socks and proceeded to shove it into Brian's mouth.

Grinning cruelly at Brian's humiliated expression, Chris looked around at the other jocks and announced, "Let the stripping begin."

Cheers went up as the jocks started pulling at Brian's jacket and pants. The project so engrossed them that they never noticed Clark. With surprise on his side, Clark grabbed the collars of the two jocks restraining Brian. With quick actions, he flung them aside. Grabbing a hold of Brian, he pulled him free of the football players. Looking down at Brian's dazed eyes, Clark knew he couldn't get rid of Brian by saying "run" this time. At that moment, Clark resigned himself to exposing his abilities. It was a high price, but he was willing to pay if it would just stop this horrid ritual. Squaring his shoulders, Clark dragged Brian behind him as he backed away, buying time to formulate a plan of attack.

After the initial shock wore off, Chris sneered, "You are quite a piece of work, Clark. I'll give you that, but I think you need to be taught a lesson."

Looking around him, Chris raised his arms and asked, "What do you guys say? Think Clark here needs to be taught a lesson?"

"Yeahs" erupted.

Slowly, they encircled him. One by one until Clark was surrounded. As they inched closer, one by one, the jocks took a jab at Clark:

"There aren't any girls around here to protect you this time, Kent."

"Y'know, we don't usually have two scarecrows."

"Don't have repeat victims either."

Finally, Chris stepped forward and said, "But Clark, for you, we're going to make an exception.

All at once, gunshots rang out.

Everyone standing in the clearing looked around as the sharp pops echoed all around them. They stared open-mouthed as eight armed men emerged from the corn led by Lex Luthor. One by one, the men wearing dark suits aimed their guns at the six jocks and cocked their weapons. After giving the jocks a moment to comprehend the seriousness of the situation, Lex made his move.
Walking across the uneven earth, Lex stopped beside Clark as he trained his pistol on Chris Bowen. Swiftly, Lex tilted his head toward Clark and said, "What did I tell you, Clark? Everyone makes exceptions."

Looking over at an obese man to his left, Lex asked, "Your boys gonna have any trouble controlling these kids, Simon?"

Laughing sarcastically, Simon replied, "What, these pussies? Just tell me where you want me to dump the bodies, Mr. Luthor."

A shocked gasp left each football player.

Amused, Lex turned and looked at Clark's surprised face. Laughing out loud, Lex asked, "You didn't really expect me to let you sit out here all by yourself, did you?"

Smiling, Clark shook his head in disbelief. Looking at the trembling and partially soiled football players, Clark asked, "So, what now?"

Tipping his head back, Lex pretended to be in deep thought. Looking at Chris, Lex smirked as he lowered his weapon. "You kids. Your fathers all work for me. Anyone hears about tonight and they're all fired. Got it?"

Stricken with fear, Chris managed to nod.

"Good," said Lex.

Looking over at Simon, Lex ordered, "Simon, keep these punks here for the next 30 minutes then take off all their clothes and let their asses go."

"As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

As Lex reached the edge of the clearing, he looked over his shoulder and said, "I'm thinking this will be the last scarecrow."

Pausing, Lex waited until he saw Chris' head frantically nod. Smiling, Lex turned away from Chris and all the other frantically nodding jocks. Patiently, he waited for Clark to catch up before making his exit.

With an arm around Brian's shoulders, Clark led the terrified boy out of the cornfield. Lex all the while by his side. At the edge, Brian turned to them and said, "Thanks," then he ran away.

After Brian was just a speck in the distance, Clark turned to Lex and said, "Thanks."

Shrugging, Lex said, "Don't worry about it. I've told you before I'll do anything to protect a friend."

In response, Clark smiled. Looking down one length of road and then turning his head and looking down the other long expanse, Clark brought his gaze to bear upon Lex and asked, "Where's your car?"

"One mile down. Parked on a utility road," answered Lex. Seeing the shock in Clark's eyes, Lex continued, "Well, come on. It's a hike."

--<{()}>--

Later That Night
Route 90
Just Before Hickory Lane

"Do you want to come to my fortress?" asked Clark from the passenger seat.

"Nah, I need to go collect Simon and his boys. I brought them to this town and I'm going to make sure they leave it, too," replied Lex.

"All the way back to Metropolis?" inquired Clark.

"Yeah," said Lex.

"Will you be back soon?"

Looking over at Clark, Lex arched an eyebrow. "Probably not for a while. Undoubtedly, my father has already heard about my bringing Simon out here. He's going to want answers and it will take time to come up with and execute a suitable lie." Shaking his head, Clark couldn't help but ask, "Why don't you just tell him the truth?"

Looking in Clark's eyes, Lex said, "Because without the lies, without the games, what do my Father and I have?"

Taking in the sadness in Clark's eyes, he said, "Go home, Clark. I'll see you later. I'll try to get back when I can. Like I said before the next couple weeks will be filled with scheming. By then, of course, the holidays will be upon us. I know it seems hard to believe, but even a family like mine has traditions. Of course, most of my family's traditions involve expensive Scotch and lavish, but politically important dinner parties."

Nodding, Clark said, "Okay. Au revoir."

Before leaving, Clark reached across the center console. Grabbing the lapels of Lex's coat, Clark pulled him over for a drawn out kiss.



Chapter 13: Countdown To War

It's my loss, my mistake.
Mine only.
It's my bad, my broken, all my should haves left unspoken.
- "Mine All Mine" performed by Shedaisy



November 1, 2002
Smallville High

"Hey, Pete," shouted Clark.

Half jogging, Clark approached Pete. As Pete hurriedly exchanged books in his locker for books in his backpack, he glanced at Clark, watching him casually lean against the wall of lockers. Zipping up his backpack and shoving his locker closed with his right shoulder, Pete spoke quickly, "Hey, hey, Clark. Umm. It was great seeing you, but I gotta get goin' cuz I'm already late."

With a pat on Clark's arm, Pete swung his backpack over his shoulder and started to walk away. Only Clark's quick hand on his shoulder stopped him. "Pete, what's going on? Ever since the school year started, you've been the invisible man."

With his back to Clark, Pete paused. Glancing over his shoulder, Pete remarked, "What? Can't take your own medicine?"

Pete got three steps away before he heard Clark say, "Pete, that's not fair."

Stopping in mid-step, Pete turned his head to the right. "Well, it's not about fair."

"Pete, c'mon. You're supposed to be my best friend," argued Clark.

Turning back to Clark, Pete gripped the shoulder strap of his backpack as he inquired, "Am I?"

"Of course," answered Clark.

"You could've fooled me," said Pete as he turned around and walked away.

--<{()}>--

November 2, 2002
Main Street
Smallville, Kansas


"A vote for Mayor Siegel is a vote for Smallville!" cried Pete.

Beside him, Sam Cole sported a smile and a sincere "thank you" as she handed out bumper stickers and campaign buttons. Shaking hands as she pushed her political slant on passersby, she was careful to remind each and every person, "Don't forget Election Day is this Tuesday."

In between acts of solicitation, Sam stole a moment to glance shyly at Pete. Each glance received a bright smile in response. As the minutes passed, they grew bolder and the space between them thinner until finally they wrapped an arm around each other, holding each other close. Their happiness was infectious. It drew people to them and the political literature they held out as gospel.

"What is going on here?" called out a deep voice.

Spinning around, Pete and Sam flew apart at the sight of Marcus Cole. Recovering from her initial shock, Sam reached into her bag and pulled out a fistful of pins and bumper stickers. "We're handing out campaign stuff. The election is Tuesday. There aren't many chances left to sway the moderates and undecided general public."

His eyes narrowed, Marcus looked back and forth from Sam to Pete. Finally, his eyes centered on Pete. Frowning severely, he asked with a slight growl, "And to sway these people you need to be holding each other?"

In response, Pete hmmed and ummed. Slowly, he tilted his head back until he could look directly into Marcus' eyes. Swallowing hard, Pete started to speak, but God showed pity on the boy by choosing that moment for Laura to open her mouth.

Standing beside Marcus, Laura was all, but forgotten until she pointed out, "Of course they do, Marcus. It's very important that they do that. It shows solidarity."

Stepping forward, Sam dropped the items she clutched back into her bag. Reaching up to her shoulder, she took her campaign button off and proceeded to pin it on Marcus' baseball jacket. Tapping the button twice, Sam stepped back and proclaimed, "See? Now, you're part of the team."

As Marcus turned the button up to read it, Sam glanced at Laura in time to see Laura wink. Looking up, Marcus noted the smile on Sam's face and turned around quickly. Laura's bright smile greeted him. Her expression blatantly shouted innocence, but Marcus wasn't fooled. He was just about to call Laura on it when Sam said, "Brother dear, I'm really flattered by all the concern, but I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself. Besides, like I said, there isn't much time left and Pete and I have really got to start pounding pavement."

Looking at Pete suspiciously, Marcus remarked, "Well, at least the election is on Tuesday. After that, you won't have these excuses any more."

The smile on Sam's face fell. Her face stricken and pale, she nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

As Sam looked down at the ground, Laura placed a hand on Marcus' shoulder. With a bitter tone to her voice, Laura said, "I'm almost late for work, Marcus. If you still want to walk me there, we'll need to go now or I could just go."

Looking over his shoulder at Laura, conflicted emotions flew across Marcus' face as he watched her turn away. Finally with a heavy sigh, Marcus gave Sam one last warning filled glance before jogging after Laura's quickly departing figure.

Easily catching up with Laura, Marcus said, "I just do that to protect her."

Nodding, Laura replied, "I know, but what are you protecting her from?"

"From unreasonable expectations. You know as well as I do that Dad would never allow her to see that guy," Marcus reminded Laura.

Sighing sadly, Laura whispered, "Yes, neither Uncle Ray or Aunt Sarah would care for it much, but they're old and set in their ways. They're easy to understand. Why are you doing this?"

Looking up at the sky, Marcus inhaled deeply as he prepared to renew an old discussion. "Because I agree with them, Laura. Traditions are worth fighting for, sometimes."

Looking down at Laura, Marcus forced himself not to reach out to touch her cheek. "Besides, traditions have never done badly by us."

Blushing, Laura ducked her head to the side, away from Marcus. When she finally glanced back at Marcus, Laura could only nod in agreement.

Together, they walked along comfortably. Occasionally glancing fondly at each other as they bantered over simple things. At the door to the Talon, Marcus opened the door and waited patiently as Laura entered. Laura rushed to the bar where her waitress apron waited on a hook. As she tied it on, Laura said, "Thanks for walking me to work, Marcus."

"Anytime," replied Marcus, sincerely.

From a point just past the bar came a rushed voice. "Laura, a party of eight just came in a few minutes ago. Could you help me fill their orders?"

Turning to Lana, Laura smoothed out the wrinkles in her apron as she answered, "Sure, I'm right on it."

Making his way to the door, Marcus called out, "Laura, I'll be by to pick you up after work."

Smiling widely, Laura replied, "Okay."

Grabbing a hold of the front doors, Marcus was about to leave when he heard Laura say, "Oh, and Marcus, don't worry. Everything'll be okay."

Smiling, Marcus nodded once before leaving.

Annoyance lacing her voice, Lana mentioned, "Laura, I really need you to get over here and help prepare this order."

Rushing over, Laura stuttered, "Sorry, I guess I got carried away."

Glancing at the order slip and then at the tray sitting on the counter, Laura noted that Lana already prepared the two mocha lattes. Looking at Lana's quickly moving hands, Laura watched as she held the top of the mixer as she ground up the ice for two mocha frappes. Glancing back down at the order slip, Laura paused to clear her mind before starting on the large hot chocolate.

A couple minutes later, the order delivered and the customers happily sipping at their drinks, Laura and Lana returned to the bar. Placing the trays on the counter, Laura prepared to go clear a table when Lana stopped her. Brushing a lock of hair behind her ear, Lana said, "Laura, we need to talk. I understand Marcus is very protective and feels the necessity to drop you off and pick you up from work, but when you're already a couple minutes late, I need you to leave him at the door. If you've got a few minutes before your shift starts, I have no problem with you two hanging out, but when you're on the clock, I need you checking on the customers. Okay?"

Nodding, Laura stuttered, "Sure, I'm sorry, Lana. It won't happen again."

Smiling kindly, but firmly, Lana answered, "Well, good. I'm glad we've cleared that up."

Turning toward the tables, Laura hurried away. Watching her employee hastily clear a table, Lana braced herself for the sound of broken glass. With a grimace on her face and tension filling her spine, Lana jumped at the voice coming from just behind her shoulder. "Damn, remind me never to get you mad or better never to work for you."

Turning around, Lana smiled at Chloe before furrowing her brow severely. Leaning toward Chloe, Lana asked, "Do you think I was too hard on her? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but she's been doing that since I hired her. Still, I don't want to seem unreasonable. On the other hand, I am her boss and if anyone should tell her it should be me, right?"

Wide-eyed, Chloe watched Lana ramble. Once Lana stopped talking, Chloe shook her head, unable to stop the light laughter that slipped out. Looking at Lana's creased eyes, Chloe observed, "I think you're babbling and tense which can only mean that Whitney wrote you recently. So what did Pvt. Fordman have to say this time? More love poems?"

"He's arriving sometime on the 24th and he'll be staying until the 30th," replied Lana with a slight tick forming on her forehead.

Eyeing Lana's frayed nerves, Chloe acted immediately. Taking Lana's arm, Chloe pulled Lana toward the front door. "Come on. We're getting you out of here, right now."

Quickly, Lana protested, "No, Chloe. I can't just leave."

Placing her hand on her hip, Chloe replied, "Of course, you can. You're the boss. You're the only person who can just leave."

"In theory, but in reality it doesn't quite work that way," explained Lana.

Rolling her eyes, Chloe asked, "Who's in charge when you're in school?"

"Julio," answered Lana.

Letting go of Lana, Chloe walked over to the kitchen. Opening the door, Chloe said, "Hey, Julio. Hi. Como estas? Um, Lana's gonna need you to watch the shop for a little while, okay?"

Emerging from the kitchen, a dark skinned young man wiped his hands on a towel as he looked for Lana. Finding her standing halfway between the bar and the front door, Julio asked, "You need me to watch the place for a while, Miss Lang?"

Glaring at Chloe's smug face as she slowly walked back over to the door, Lana answered calmly, "Yes, Julio. Would you mind?"

Shaking his head, Julio replied, "Not at all, Jefita."

Smiling kindly at Julio, Lana thanked him as Chloe dragged her out the door. Outside, Chloe and Lana walked down Main Street toward the Smallville Municipal Park. Along the way, Chloe couldn't resist a question, "So, I figured out months ago when his letters kept showing up that you never told him. What are you going to do when he gets here?"

Looking down at her moving feet, Lana said, "I plan to break up with him. It's the right thing to do. It's what I should do."

"But?" asked Chloe.

"But everything, Chloe. In my mind, I know I need to, but in my heart, I'm just not sure," answered Lana.

Reaching the park, they found their way to the swings. Sitting side by side on a set of swings, they watched children run around, screaming loudly. Following the children with her eyes, Chloe said, "You don't love him, Lana. What more is there to it?"

Looking up at the cloudy sky, Lana sighed, "That's easy for you to say, Chloe."

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Chloe.

Pressing her forehead against the plastic chain holding up the swing, Lana looked at Chloe. "You're so lucky. You have Justin. He loves you. It's so obvious. I don't have anyone."

Reaching over to her, Chloe rubbed Lana's arm slowly before wrapping her hand around Lana's. Squeezing delicate fingers, Chloe whispered, "You could have Clark."

Laughing sadly, Lana pulled her hand away from Chloe. Hugging herself, she looked down at the ground, forcing a pathetic laugh back down her throat. Shaking her head, Lana said, "No, I couldn't."

Narrowing her eyes, Chloe rubbed Lana's back as she inquired, "How can you know?"

Rolling her eyes up to the sky, Lana replied, "I know."

Letting her head fall, she looked at Chloe's concerned, curious face and stated, "Trust me, Chloe. I just know."

A distant honk caught their attention. Looking in the general direction of the din, they saw the beat up Kent Family truck parallel park in a space directly in front of them. After turning off the truck, Clark jumped from the vehicle and jogged over. Once he was within shouting distance, he asked, "Hey, what's going on?"

Looking up at Clark, Lana replied, "Oh, just taking a break from the Talon."

Looking over at Chloe, Clark noticed the slightly angry look on her face. Chloe continued to pout as she asked, "Where's your shadow?"

Squinting, Clark stared at her as he said, "Come again?"

"Y'know. Tall, pale and bald," answered Chloe tersely.

Taken aback, Clark was stunned speechless. Looking at Lana, Clark saw a similar shocked look on her face. Looking back at Chloe, Clark watched as she pulled herself to her feet. Pointing her index finger right at Clark, Chloe spat out, "Well, be sure to tell him that he's still on my shit list."

Turning around, Chloe waved at Lana lazily as she hurried away. Helplessly, Clark followed Chloe's departing form as he sat down on the swing. Without looking away from Chloe, Clark asked Lana, "Do you know what that was all about?"

"I haven't a clue," replied Lana as she watched Chloe disappear behind the corner grocery.

Finally looking at Lana, Clark noticed the tired lines surrounding her eyes. "You okay? You don't look so good."

Pressing her fingertips against her eyes, Lana rubbed until she saw stars and her eyeballs ached dully. "I'm just tired. Homecoming was a busy time and the Talon is doing really well, which is good, but it's also a lot of work."

Grabbing the swing chains again, Lana pushed off the ground. Sliding through the air, Lana continued, "I just needed a break. It can all be a little overwhelming, y'know?"

Pushing off the dirt floor, Clark joined Lana in swinging back and forth. Pumping their legs, they pushed the swings higher and higher until they were swinging in great arcs, causing the metal frame to creak. For several swings they were quiet. Then, Lana leaned back and laughed out loud, her laughter turning into a strangled scream as she climbed higher than excepted.

As they passed on the down swing, Clark yelled, "Maybe, you should take the day off."

Growing dizzy, she strained her neck to follow Clark as he flew by her again. Pausing high in the air, Lana answered loudly to the blue sky above her, "Maybe, I should."

As she fell backwards, Lana let her feet drag across the dirt, slowing her down. Clark noticed what she was doing and did the same. Once they both stopped, Lana looked at Clark and repeated, "Maybe, I should."

Nodding, Clark stood up. Extending his hand, Clark offered, "Come on, I'll give you a ride home."

Taking his hand, Lana smiled. "I'd appreciate that, Clark. Thank you."

They made their way back to the truck. As Clark unlocked Lana's door, she asked, "You never said. What are you doing in town on the weekend?"

"Picking up supplies for my Mom. She ran out in a big way yesterday. She had to dip into our personal flour supply to finish the Cole's order," replied Clark.

After they both climbed into the truck, Lana asked, "How is your Mom doing with that?"

"Pretty good. I can tell she's really enjoying the challenge and the extra money doesn't hurt either," replied Clark as he pulled out of the parking space.

"Yeah, I noticed the change, right away. I had to put an actual inventory system in place because if I run out of pie from Wednesday to Friday, I know I'm not getting anymore until Saturday," said Lana as she watched the park fall away.

Turning onto Main Street, Clark said, "Let me ask you. As a long time customer of my Mother do you feel put out by the new restrictions my Mother has put in place since taking on the Cole contract?"

Laughing softly, Lana wiped her hand down her cheek as she answered, "Well, that's a very official, survey sounding question. Umm. I'd say I'm not bothered by it. I had to get more organized, but I needed to do that anyway. If anything, it helped me to get it together. Yeah. I have no problem. I care more about the quality of the product and I've seen no change in that. Your
Mom's pies are still the big seller. If anything, they sell even better than before. Probably because some people are just not able to wait until Friday morning to get a slice of your Mom's pie. Why do you ask?"

Smiling widely, Clark explained, "It's a new fight in the Kent house. My Dad seems to think that my Mother is neglecting her other customers because of the Cole contract."

Cocking her head to the side, Lana asked, "Does your Dad not like your Mom running this business?"

Grimacing, Clark replied haltingly, "Yeah. Well? Yeah. I think it's always been a sore spot for my Dad that the farm doesn't really pay for itself. My Mom has always had to do little things like selling vegetables, baking and such to get us through the hard times."

Laughing, Lana commented, "Score one more for the fragile male pride."

"Thanks a lot," groaned Clark just before passing two familiar figures. Pointing out the window, Clark continued, "Hey, it's Pete and Sam."

Nodding, Lana looked back at the dynamic duo. "Yeah, who would have thought that Pete could be so into politics? I mean I know his Mom's a judge, but still."

Frowning, Clark remarked, "Yeah. He's apparently mad at me. First him. Now Chloe. If this keeps going on, soon you won't be speaking to me either."

"Never. You can't get rid of me that easily," said Lana.

Laughing, Clark thanked her, "Good. I really needed to hear that."

Reaching across the bench seat, Lana squeezed Clark's thigh, patting it for good measure. "So, not to mimic Chloe, but where is your shadow?"

Glancing at Lana, Clark turned off Main Street onto Beacon Street and headed for Hwy 90. As he kept his eyes on the road before him, Clark replied, "Lex is in Metropolis on business. I don't expect him back anytime soon."

Frowning, Lana said, "I'm sorry, Clark"

"Don't be. He just had some stuff he had to do," assured Clark in a not too confident voice as they neared Hickory Lane.

"Do you think we could go to your place? I'm not eager to see Nell," requested Lana.

Pulling onto Hickory Lane, Clark said, "Are you having problems with your Aunt?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Lana replied, "Not exactly. She's well intentioned, but every time a letter from Whitney arrives, she gushes for days. Now, that Whitney's coming back for a visit, all she does is go on and on about how we're having Thanksgiving lunch with the Fordmans. I don't know if she's happier to just not have to cook or because she's been invited to something. Frankly, I think she's just enamored with the fact I got the captain of the football team just like she did."

Laughing out loud, Clark pointed out, "Well, the left over dreams of an aging cheerleader do not die easily. Thankfully, you left that life before it could affect you."

Bringing both hands up to her mouth, Lana gasped, "Clark! That's just so wrong."

Glancing over at Clark's smiling face, Lana asked, "So, am I welcome?"

"Of course," replied Clark. Pulling the truck alongside the barn, Clark continued, "Besides, I'm glad to have some company other than my parents."

"Are you all still fighting like the last time?" asked Lana, warily.

Grimacing from the memory, Clark replied, "No. It's just I can't discuss anything really important with them anymore. My Father and I have one safe conversation topic these days - Farm work. My Mother is okay so long as I let her have her way. She's always talking about how I need to get out more and meet somebody. I know she means a girl and all I can do is say, 'Sure, Mom, I'll get right on it.' I just don't know what else to do."

As the truck drew to a slow, easy stop, Lana suggested, "You could just tell them. Y'know, come out of the closet."

At Lana's idea, Clark squeezed the steering wheel tightly. In the blink of an eye, he reached down and turned off the engine and then was back gripping the steering wheel. Tension filled his arms. He swallowed hard. Looking straight ahead, Clark spit out, "Yeah. Yeah, that would be just great. Hi, Mom & Dad. Guess what? The alien freak you took in out of the goodness of your heart and invested all your hopes and dreams in likes to kiss guys and on top of that is dating the one man you hate. Yeah, I can see that happening. Sure."

Twisting her fingers, Lana winced as she offered; "You don't have to tell them about Lex, right away."

Throwing back his head, Clark groaned loudly. Leaning forward, he folded his arms over the steering wheel and hid his face. Quickly, he shook his head back and forth. From beneath his arms, his muffled voice sounded, "That doesn't make it any easier, Lana. I'd still be nothing but a disappointment to them."

At Clark's final words, Lana practically flew across the seat. Flush against him, she rubbed his back and spoke gently. "Clark, you need to listen to me. You are not a freak and you are not a disappointment. Your parents love you and they will still love you if you tell them the truth."

Looking up, Clark stared out the windshield without saying a word. Finally, he turned his head until he could see Lana's sympathetic gaze. Smiling weakly, Clark whispered, "Sometimes, I wish I could see into the future. Then, I'd know how they'd react. I could prepare myself or be relieved. The worst part is just not knowing."

Wrapping her left arm around his broad shoulders, Lana pressed her forehead against Clark's. Frowning, Lana searched for the perfect words, the perfect sentiment, but found nothing. Instead, she hugged Clark close and remained silent.

After a couple minutes, Lana pulled away. Stopping a couple inches from Clark, she cupped his cheek. Tilting his head up, she waited until he looked her directly in the eyes before smiling. "Clark, you told me and I didn't run. Your parents won't run either."

In response, Clark smiled brightly. Turning toward her, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a tight, brief hug. As they parted, Clark said, "Thanks, Lana."

Finally at peace with the friendship shining in Clark's eyes, Lana replied sincerely, "What are friends for?"

Unbeknownst to Clark and Lana, a solitary figure watched their exchange. Standing at the door to the second kitchen, Martha Kent watched with narrowing eyes. Once she watched them exit the truck and start towards the barn, Martha couldn't resist the urge to investigate. Wiping her hands clean, she hung her apron on a hook before pushing her shirtsleeves up to her elbows.

As Martha entered the barn, she winced at the squeaking, rusted hinges as they warned of her approach. Instantly, Clark and Lana were looking over the banister. Flashing a motherly smile, Martha waved at them as she ascended the stairs. At the top, she surveyed the area, looking for anything amiss. Finding nothing, she turned to Clark and said, "Did you get those supplies I asked you to get?"

Shock and embarrassment covered Clark's face. Running his hand through his hair, Clark stammered, "Sorry, Mom. I forgot. I'll go get them."

Nodding, Martha placed her hands on her hips. "It's okay, Clark. I hate to bother you when you have friends over, but I going to need some help in the new kitchen."

Glancing over at Lana, Clark hesitated before offering; "Could Lana wait here while I help you? I'm sure it's nothing that could take me too long."

Glancing back and forth between them, Martha answered, "No, I'm sorry. The job's going to take a while. I'm sorry, Lana, but I really need Clark to help me."

Feeling suddenly uncomfortable, Lana nodded before saying, "Of course, Mrs. Kent. I understand."

Squeezing Clark's arm, Lana exhaled loudly. Glancing at Martha, Lana didn't waste time before waving goodbye to Clark. "Bye, Clark. See you around."

As she passed Martha, Lana glanced warily at her. "Mrs. Kent."

Her head cocked slightly to the left, Martha crossed her arms as she replied, "Lana."

Once Lana was gone, Martha turned to Clark and demanded, "What is going on between you and her?"

Wide-eyed, Clark backed up a few steps. "What?"

Closing in on him, Martha repeated, "You and Lana. What is going on?"

"Nothing," swore Clark.

Eyeing Clark closely, Martha commented, "She has a boyfriend, Clark. It would do well for both of you to remember that."

His eyes darting about the loft, Clark stuttered, "I know she has a boyfriend, Mom."

Squinting with suspicion, Martha asked, "Do you? Then why do I find the two of you together all the time?"

Putting up his hands, Clark replied, "Because she's my friend."

Sighing loudly, Martha said, "Oh Clark. Lana is very lonely, right now. Whitney is far away and gone for so long."

Shaking his head a little, Clark asked, "Mom, what are you trying to say?"

Her stern expression softening, Martha took another step toward him. "I just don't want you to get hurt, Clark. Whitney will be back soon and when he comes back, Lana may not be around so much."

The stunned expression Clark sported soon turned into outrage. Looking at the ground, Clark stated, "That's great."

Looking his Mother in the eye, Clark pointed at his chest and continued, "You think? What? Lana and I?"

"I know you've always had a crush on her. So does she. That makes you an easy target," said Martha softly, almost sweetly. Taking another step forward, Martha reached out to Clark only to have Clark shrug away. Swallowing hard, she assured, "Honey, I understand."

Recoiling from his Mother's touch, Clark brushed past as her as he walked away. At the stairs, he paused. Looking back at Martha, he said, "You don't understand anything."

Stomping down the stairs, Clark stayed at Human speed until he reached the door. Then, with super speed, he zoomed out to the truck, grabbed the supplies and took them into the new kitchen. Once finished, he glared at his Mother as he jumped up the back porch stairs, taking three steps at a time.

Clark barely got inside the house before the phone started to ring. Sighing, Clark debated whether to answer it or let the answering machine get it. On the fourth ring, Clark made up his mind and picked up the receiver. "Hello, Kent residence."

"Clark?"

A smile instantly spread across Clark's face. "Lex?"

Just then, the kitchen door opened. Spinning around, Clark watched his Mother quietly enter the kitchen. For a couple seconds, their eyes locked. No words exchanged as tension grew between them.

"Clark?"

Holding the receiver with both hands, Clark cupped his right hand around the smooth plastic and his own lips and said in hushed tones, "Wait a second. I'm going to get on the other extension."

Placing the phone on the counter, Clark looked back and forth between Martha and the phone a few times before making his way to the stairs. His eyes stopped on the phone. With stern resolve, Clark walked over to the stairwell, gripping the handrail tightly once he got there. With one last glance at Martha, Clark ran up the stairs to his room.

Once Clark sped away, Martha swiftly crossed the room and picked up the phone. Holding up the phone, Martha asked, "Lana?"

Expecting a female gasp, Martha was genuinely surprised when Lex's smooth masculine voice replied, "Excuse me? Mrs. Kent? Is that you?"

Blushing red, Martha stuttered, "Lex. This is quite a surprise."

"Apparently," laughed Lex just as the click of a picked-up phone echoed across the phone line. "How are you, Mrs. Kent?"

Clark's serious voice rang out clearly; "I've got the phone now, Mom."

The only response was a soft click as Martha placed her end back on the phone cradle.

"Clark, what's going on?" asked Lex.

Sighing loudly, Clark said, "Not you, too."

"What?" asked Lex. After a moment of silence, Lex continued, "Look, did I call at a bad time?"

Shaking his head even though he knew Lex couldn't see him, Clark answered, "No. Well? Yeah? No. Not really."

"What happened?" inquired Lex.

"It was my Mom. She thinks Lana is cheating on Whitney with me," replied Clark.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Lex's soft laugh vibrated across the wire. "Oh, that's good. Thanks, I needed a good laugh. So, she thinks you're a modern day home wrecker, huh?"

Feeling laughter tugs at the pit of his stomach, Clark tried to maintain a serious voice as he replied to Lex. He started out well enough, but failed halfway through when an embarrassing snort of laughter finally broke through his defenses. "It's not funny, Lex. I mean. I mean my Mother should, should know me better than that, right?"

At Clark's snort, Lex broke out laughing. His laughter proved infectious as Clark soon doubled over from the force of his own mirth. Soon, with tears in their eyes and pain in their stomachs, they gasped back the hilarity of the moment. Composing themselves, Lex was the first to let out a loud, high-pitched sigh that only served to start a second string of laughter.

Finally, once again in control of themselves, Clark inhaled deeply and asked through a few lingering chuckles, "So, how are things in Metropolis?

Taking a moment to compose himself, Lex replied with a even, clear voice, "Good, all things considers."

"Considering what things?" asked Clark.

"Oh the basics - My Father, my explanation for bringing Simon and his boys to Smallville. Stuff like that," replied Lex.

Lying back on his bed, Clark rested the phone cradle on his chest. "What did you tell your Dad about that?"

A pause followed the question. Then, Lex whispered in mock seriousness, "Better you not know."

Rolling his eyes, Clark groaned at his words being thrown back at him. "Pain in my ass."

"Not yet, but soon," promised Lex. At Clark's surprised gasp, Lex chuckled under his breath, "So, before this phone call descends into the depths of bad porn, what have you been up to? Any problems with the football team?"

Recovering from Lex's comment, Clark replied, "Are you kidding? They avoid me like the plague. As for me, it's school and chores. Oh, and more school."

"Lucky bastard," joked Lex as he leaned back in his chair.

Going along, Clark said, "Excuse me? What could be worse than school and chores?"

"Politically necessary social functions I'm forced to attend with my Father," answered Lex without missing a beat.

"Tell me more," Clark said quickly as he pressed his ear against the speaker.

"I've attended two already. A formal dinner for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and a wine and cheese reception at the Metropolis University School of Law hosted by the Women's Law Caucus. Next week, I get the 'pleasure' of attending the Governor's reelection platform. Yeah, watch the news on Tuesday. You'll probably see me. I'll be the guy bored out of his mind, standing just to the
right of the podium," replied Lex.

"Your Father's been attending these things with you? He must be doing better," asked Clark with genuine curiosity.

"He can walk with a cane, now. Unfortunately, he refuses to follow his doctor's instructions. They warn him not to walk very much, take it easy, but he doesn't. After an hour of standing at the wine and cheese reception, his back was killing him. He popped a bunch of painkillers, but refused to put down his drink because that would be a sign of weakness. He kept absently sipping at his wine and by the end of the night he could barely see straight," answered Lex, a frown drawing down his features as he remembered that night, his Father's slovenly appearance.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Lex," stated Clark sincerely.

Running his hand over his scalp, Lex whispered, "Thanks."

Suddenly, the door to Lex's office opened. Leaning stiffly on his cane, Lionel Luthor hobbled into the room. Placing one hand over the other on the silver head of his cane, Lionel called out, "Lex, the Board of Directors are not known to wait for late members."

Turning away from his Father, Lex whispered into the phone, "Clark, I'll have to talk to you later."

The sadness in Clark's voice rang out of every syllable as he said, "Sure. I understand. It was good talking to you, Lex."

"Same here," replied Lex as Lionel called out a loud, "Lex."

Grimacing at his Father's behavior, Lex quickly said, "Gotta go, Clark," before slamming the phone down.

Standing up, Lex took a moment to button his jacket before following his Father out of the room. In the hallways, they were silent as they strode side-by-side. In the garage, they didn't even look at each other as the chauffeur held the door to the limousine open. Once inside the limo, Lionel pushed a couple buttons on his armrest. Suddenly, a partition rose behind the chauffeur and locks clicked into place ensuring the partition stayed in place. Finally alone, Lionel glanced at his watch as he commented, "So, I guess two o'clock on a Saturday is when all good farm boys are home. How quaint."

Shifting uncomfortably in his seat, Lex crossed his arms over his chest. "Dad, we've successfully avoided this topic thus far. Let's try to remain on that course."

Smugly thrusting out his chin, Lionel said, "Oh, I see. Are you upset that I interrupted you while you were busy laying out your itinerary for the next week.[?] Does he like to keep you on a short leash."

Unable to keep a slight twitch from showing as he slowly glanced at his Father, Lex spit out, "What are you doing? Bugging my phone?"

Laughing arrogantly, Lionel assured, "Of course not, I stand outside your office with a glass pressed against the wood of your door."

Not bothering to look at Lex, Lionel continued, "You should be happy only I heard you. The Board of Directors would love to hear the endearing words you shower on that boy. It would make them feel secure that you'll never be in a position to take over LuthorCorp."

Sighing, Lex looked away from his Father. "You're starting to sound like a broken record."

"Perhaps, I am. The Luthor family is extremely powerful, Lex. It is an old, noble family. With wealth secured in addition to title and rank, your forbears found an insidious way to ensure that their traditions would survive through their progeny. LuthorCorp incorporated in 1873 and in over a hundred years not a single heir has found a way around the clause. You should pay heed to that
fact," warned Lionel.

Sitting perfectly still, Lex churned inside. Rage boiled within his chest, burning as it seeped into his bloodstream. Madness called to him, ordering him to put an end to this petty little man beside him. A dull pain ached behind his eyes. Reaching up with his left hand, Lex squeezed the bridge of his nose. Opening his eyes, he lowered his hand. As he did, he glanced at the watch wrapped about his wrist, stared at the Napoleon Franc. As he studied the watch's smooth polished surfaces, Lex could see his Mother's face. He could hear her whispering soothing words in his ear just like she did all those nights he spent in the hospital after the meteor shower. Just like those pain-filled nights of long ago, she acted as a balm to his wounds. In waves, bit by bit, Lex felt his rage ebb away until finally he was no longer entertaining fatal fantasies.


--<{()}>--

November 5, 2002
Mayor Siegel's Campaign Headquarters
Smallville, Kansas


"With 47% of the precincts reporting, incumbent candidate Mayor Siegel leads the Mayoral race by nearly two votes to one over his opponent," proclaimed the News Anchor.

Within the hall, cheers roared. Echoing through the air, the triumphant call of campaign volunteers rang out. Within the din, some danced. Some kissed. Some clung to each other as they rode high on the waves of imminent victory. In the midst of this mass of bodies and cacophony of voices stood Pete Ross and Sam Cole.

With wide smiles, they held onto one another. Swaying with the crowd, they pressed against one another until nothing but fabric separated them. With joy, they kissed at the last update. With her fingers on his cheeks, Sam stretched out their victory kiss. Smiling against his lips, she giggled as the excitement of the hour moved her. Throwing her hands into the air, Sam jumped around. Twirling about, Sam opened her eyes as she turned away from Pete.

Suddenly, she went completely still. At the doors, she saw Marcus frowning back at her. Looking out over the sea of people, she saw her Father wading through the pressed bodies. Panicking, Sam turned around and screamed, "Pete, get out of here. Quick."

Grabbing Sam's hands, Pete asked, "Sam what is it?"

Terror filling her incredibly wide-open eyes, Sam cried, "My Father."

Swallowing once, Pete stood a little taller as he puffed out his chest and held up his head. Pulling her hands against his chest, Pete said, "Let me talk to him, Sam. Maybe he'll change his mind."

Shaking her head wildly, Sam replied, "No! He won't. Please go, Pete. I'll keep an eye out for him."

Before she could turn around again, Sam felt a solid mass against her back. Without looking over her shoulder, Sam knew who it had to be. Her shoulders filled with tension, flexing up to her ears as she dared to peek at the angry man standing behind her.

Finally pushing away, Sam turned around a little bit a time. The face that greeted her was less than encouraging. Raymond Cole stood rigidly - his jaw set, his eyes centered on Sam's frightened expression. In fact the only thing that moved on Raymond's face was a madly ticking muscle just above his left eye. In a deep baritone, he bellowed, "Samantha, what is the meaning of this?"

Putting her hands up, Sam answered, "Daddy, I don't know what you mean."

Leaning over, Raymond clarified, "Let me make myself more clear - what are you doing with this.with this boy?"

From behind Sam, Pete summoned the courage to clear his throat and lift a hand. "Mr. Cole, my name is Pete Ross. If you would let-"

Raymond silenced Pete with a withering look and a stern response, "Young man, I do not care who you are. I only care to know what is you think you are doing with my daughter."

Before Pete could respond, Sam pressed her hands against her Father's chest and begged, "Please, Daddy. I can explain, but not here. Let's go home, Daddy. Please."

Glancing down at his daughter's agonized face, some of Raymond's rage seeped away. Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, Raymond pulled her forward and through the swirling masses of people ignorant to the drama in their midst. As her Father led her away, Sam managed to glance back at Pete twice. Each time, Pete returned her gaze as he followed her departing figure.

At the door, Pete's eyes fell upon Marcus Cole. Pete expected a smug smile or a condescending glare. Instead, Pete saw sadness and regret. In fact, anger only graced Marcus' features when he realized he was being watched and returned Pete's glare. It was the calmness of the family, the careful control of their actions that made a shiver of caution travel down Pete's spine. It was the sincere concern on Marcus' face as he watched Sam and Raymond pass in front of him that made Pete first fear for Sam's well being as he watched the trio depart.

--<{()}>--

Later That Night At The Luthor Penthouse
Metropolis, Kansas

"Come on, Dad. Get your feet under yourself. Come on! I'm not carrying you all the way to your bedroom," growled Lex at his Father. Biting his tongue, he managed to close the door to the penthouse without loosing his grip on Lionel's waist. Straining from the effort, he dragged Lionel to the center of the living room. Lionel made no attempt to stand straighter. His head tilted back, Lionel seemed content to stare at the ceiling.

At last, Lex had enough.

Dropping his Father's limp body onto the sofa, Lex crossed the room to the bar. After pouring three fingers of scotch, Lex slammed the decanter down, not caring if it shattered. Turning around, Lex stood a few feet from the sofa and looked at the mess - Lionel sprawled over the cushions. Taking a sip of scotch, Lex couldn't banish a stray thought. 'Oh, how the mighty have fallen.'

Something halfway between a grunt and a groan escaped Lionel's throat. Pushing against the sofa cushions, Lionel struggled to sit up. He got no help from Lex and knew he wouldn't. Finally, he had his back against the sofa back. Though still slightly askew, Lionel was at least mostly vertical. Straining to look up at Lex, Lionel sneered, "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Lex."

In response, Lex chuckled once. Slowly, Lex walked over to a chair opposite Lionel. As he sat down, Lex retorted, "True, but in all the years I went clubbing, you never had to drag my ass in here."

Laughing weakly, Lionel watched Lex play with his drink. He centered in on how Lex held the lead crystal tumbler with his thumb and middle finger while running his index finger over the edge of the glass. Shifting his seat, he sighed, "Genetics is a funny thing."

Stilling all movement, Lex looked back at his Father. "I'm sure."

Shaking his head, Lionel pointed feebly at Lex's glass. "Your absent minded fidgeting. Lillian used to do that, that thing with her finger on the edge of the glass. She could make the glass sing. I'm quite sure you never saw her do it as she never drank in front of you, but here you are doing the exact same thing."

Looking down at his drink, Lex affectionately rubbed the crystal. Then, without giving himself time to think about it, Lex dipped his index finger in the amber liquid. Running his index finger along the edge, Lex produced a high-pitched tone.

Nodding, Lionel looked at Lex and said, "Yes, just like that."

Broken from his reverie, Lex pushed the drink away. Looking back at his Father, Lex sighed, "Time for bed, Dad."

Lionel seemed startled by the declaration. Looking at his watch, he worked hard to focus on it as he kept bringing his arm closer then swinging it away again. Suddenly, a strong hand was on the swaying arm. Following the manicured hand up to a slender arm, Lionel found himself looking Lex square in the face. Squinting, Lionel commented, "You look like her sometimes."

Swallowing hard, Lex pulled Lionel to his feet. Drawing Lionel's left arm over his head, Lex gripped Lionel's hand tightly with his own left hand. Balancing Lionel's weight, Lex ran his right arm around Lionel's back, grasping his waist. Taking a deep breath, Lex shifted his Father forward.

The trip down the hallway was uneventful except that each step proved to be more of a challenge than the last. By the time they reached Lionel's bedroom, Lex was drenched in sweat. As he opened the door, Lex paused to shore up his strength as he dragged his Father the rest of the way. Lex first deposited Lionel in a chair, then turned down the bed.

A couple minutes of struggle later, Lex lowered his Father down on his queen size mattress. Looking at Lionel's labored breathing; Lex knew he wouldn't be conscious long. Gently, Lex pushed Lionel toward the center of the mattress, but a little life left in Lionel protested, "No, No, Lex. Can't sleep there. That's her side."

Staring down at the bed, Lex wondered, 'I hadn't heard he had a new girlfriend.' Choosing not to fight it, Lex left his Father on the left side of the bed and proceeded to pull the covers over him. Finally calm again, Lionel shifted about to get comfortable. Curiosity gnawed at him and Lex knew his Father would probably answer any question right about now. Tucking the blankets in around Lionel's neck, Lex asked, "Whose side of the bed is it, Dad?"

Mumbling faintly, Lex almost didn't catch Lionel's reply. "Lily's"

'Lily,' thought Lex.

'That was his pet name for her,' he recalled as he backed out of Lionel's bedroom, softly drawing the door closed behind him.

--<{()}>--

November 18, 2002
Smallville High

"Hey stranger, where have you been?" asked Chloe as Laura walked into the pressroom.

Quiet, Laura placed her backpack on one of the tables. Opening the bag, Laura pulled a thin packet out of it. Handing it to Chloe, Laura replied, "That's the article you asked me to write about being new to Smallville."

Taking the full-sized envelope, Chloe asked again, "This is great, but it was due last Friday. What happened? You've been gone for over a week."

Quickly, Laura zipped up her bag. Not looking at Chloe, Laura answered, "I'd rather not talk about."

Unhappy at being so easily cut off, Chloe crossed her arms and said, "Well, I think I deserve an explanation for why this is late, at least."

Tossing her backpack onto her right shoulder, Laura replied, "Look, I'm not some project. I'm not a story for you to research. I had personal business. It is no business of yours. I wanted to give you the article because I promised you I would. I'm truly sorry I couldn't get it here on time, but I was otherwise occupied."

Over at the photo library, Justin looked at Laura's demeanor with concern. Walking over to Chloe's side, Justin silenced Chloe's barrage of questions with an arm around the shoulders. Before Laura could leave, he asked, "Are you okay?"

Stopping in mid-step, Laura looked back at Justin. Confirming his sincerity, the contempt fell from her face. Shaking her head, Laura turned toward him. Bringing her backpack off her shoulder again, Laura glanced behind her back a couple times before reaching into the front packet. She grabbed at something, but before pulling it out, she looked at Justin and asked, "You're one of Pete's friends, right?"

Shrugging, Justin replied, "Sometimes, though I not sure he knows it."

Seeing the doubt fill her eyes, Justin cursed himself under his breath. Putting jokes aside, Justin replied, "Yeah, I see him around."

Nodding, Laura pulled a letter-sized envelope from the pocket. Placing it in Justin's extended hand, she explained, "It's from Sam. Tell Pete. It's from Sam."

Nodding Justin swore he would. Clutching the letter tightly, he watched her leave. Looking down at the letter, Justin wasn't surprised when he heard Chloe's question, just disappointed. "From Sam, huh? So, what do you think it says?"

Glancing at Chloe, Justin slipped the letter into his pocket and said, "None of my business what it says."

Pulling Chloe close, Justin gave her a gentle kiss. Reigning in the emotional turmoil he felt at the moment as she pled with her eyes, Justin began to feel fatigued, but managed to pull away from her. He hated to deny her anything, but, couldn't, wouldn't give in this time. Chloe's startled, slightly hurt eyes fueled his inner chaos. As the smile faded from her face, Justin headed for the
door.

Outside the pressroom, Justin took a moment to compose himself. All around him the forces swirled madly, faster than he could control. As people passed by him, they felt the eerie brushing of fingers down their back. Looking back, they saw only open air and, in the distance, Justin sprinting away. With every footfall, Justin caused locker doors to fly open, sometimes smacking people as they swung about on their hinges.

Rushing from the hallway, Justin ran outside. Once outside, he kept on running. Past the center of town. Past the track homes on the edge of Main Street. Along Highway 90, Justin rushed ahead like a man possessed. At a lonely field of wheat, he knelt down. Digging his fingers into the flesh of his scalp, Justin felt the intensity of Chloe's disappointment. He recalled the conflict of emotions it aroused - The eternal battle between should have and wanted to. He shuddered from the chain reaction it caused as he tried desperately to hold it all inside. Suddenly, Justin sensed his defeat. Futilely, he struggled on for a second more before being overcome. Finally, throwing back his arms, he screamed.

Several minutes later, Justin opened his slightly dazed eyes. With a groan, Justin slowly brought his sore arms forward. Running his fingers over his face, Justin felt his labored breathing start to slow down. Moaning from the pain, Justin mused, 'That's the worst one yet.'

Looking around, Justin noticed the circular pattern of crushed wheat surrounding him. Scratching his head, he sighed, "Great. Now, I'm making crop circles."

--<{()}>--

November 19, 2002
Talon Cafe

Sorrowfully, he drowned his troubles in a double mocha latte. Cradling the mug with both hands, he rested his weight on his elbows as he shifted on his stool. Steam shrouded his face. Inhaling deeply, he let out a heavy sigh every couple of minutes. His shoulders slumped and his posture poor, Pete left no doubt as to how miserable his life must be.

That was how they found him. Walking into the Talon, Justin and Clark were met at the door by Lana. Glancing back at Pete, Lana whispered to the both of them, "He's been there for hours. That's his third cup. He won't talk about it. Not with me, anyway. I thought. I thought maybe it's a guy thing. That's why I called you. Maybe, you can get through to him in a way I couldn't."

Patting Lana on the arm, Clark assured, "You did the right thing, Lana. We'll take it from here."

Flashing a brilliant smile, Lana took off. With a deep breath, Justin and Clark headed over to Pete. On opposite sides of Pete, they slapped Pete's back at the same time, causing him to lurch forward, almost spilling his drink. Jerking around, Pete shook his head quickly back and forth from Justin to Clark and back again. When recognition sunk in, Pete relaxed back down on the stool. Resuming his slouch, Pete mumbled, "Hey, guys," as he turned back to his mocha.

At the same time, Clark and Justin sat down on either side of Pete. Glancing at each other, they debated without words over who would talk first. With a final raised brow and tip of his head, Justin won. Taking a deep breath, Clark rested his elbows on the bar and asked, "Pete, you okay?"

Shaking his head, Pete took another sip of his drink.

Glancing at each other again, Clark and Justin debated again. Suddenly, Justin's eyes widened. Patting at his jacket pockets, Justin pulled out the, now crumpled, letter that Laura gave to him. With his left flank pressed against the bar, Justin slid the front of the envelope directly into Pete's line of sight.

It took a moment for Pete to recognize the handwriting. When he finally did, Pete could only stare at the jagged, slanted script belonging to Sam Cole. Reaching out with trembling fingers, Pete took the letter from Justin. His mouth hanging open in awe, Pete barely managed to whisper, "Where did you get this?"

Smirking, Justin replied, "Laura gave it me, yesterday. I would've given it to you earlier, but you're a hard man to find lately."

Frowning, Pete nodded. Glancing at first Justin, then Clark, Pete said, "Yeah, about that, guys."

Patting Pete's back, Clark rushed to say, "Don't worry about it. I've been known to disappear from time to time, myself."

Laughing softly, Pete punched Clark's arm once before tearing into Sam's letter. Pulling the ordinary lined paper from the plain envelope, Pete read the letter cautiously. About halfway down the page, his frown turned upside down. At the end of the page, he became cautious once again. Folding the paper up slowly, he gently tucked it back in its envelope. Sliding the envelope into the inner pocket of his lettermen jacket, he looked back and forth from Justin to Clark. Sliding from the stool, Pete stood up and said, "You guys want to go play some hoops or what?"

Nodding, Clark and Justin agreed. With Pete they turned toward the Talon's front doors. After they took a few steps forward, Clark and Pete stopped when Justin asked, "Dude, you gonna finish your drink or what?"

Pete stared at the Mocha for a moment before turning away. With a wave of his hand, Pete stated, "Leave it. I don't need it anymore."

--<{()}>--

November 24, 2002
Fordman Residence

"Goodnight, honey," said Mrs. Fordman as she placed a kiss on Whitney's cheek. Glancing past Whitney's shoulder, she continued coolly, "Don't stay up too late."

Hugging his Mother, Whitney whispered, "Goodnight, Mom. I'll see you in the morning."

Taking a moment to flash a warning at Lana, Mrs. Fordman left the room.

"Alone at last," whispered Whitney as he turned around. Advancing slowly, he stalked after Lana as she backed away. Finally, with her back against the sofa table, Lana fell prey to Whitney's onslaught. His hands glided easily, familiarly over her waist. Grabbing onto her hips, Whitney pulled her forward until they fitted snugly against one another.

Her gasp made him laugh. With one hand at her back, Whitney reached up and turned her chin up until he looked directly into her eyes. He searched her face for a second before leaning down and capturing her lips. Deeply, he kissed her. Soulfully, he held her close. Stealthily, his fingers inched down her back, wasting no time as they slipped under the waistband of her jeans.

At the touch of his warm fingers on the small of her back, Lana pushed Whitney away. Exhaling loudly, Whitney demanded, "Lana, what is going on?"

Tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, Lana replied, "It's just too soon, Whitney."

Gripping Lana by the arms, Whitney pulled her forward. Enraged, he looked directly into her fear filled eyes. "Too soon? Lana, we've been together for two years and we've done little more than kiss. What are you waiting for?"

Struggling against him, Lana thought, 'Someone else,' but she cried, "Whitney, stop! You're hurting me."

As if smacked, Whitney stumbled backwards. His hands fell to his sides. Taking in a deep breath, Whitney let it out as he brought his hands up, running his fingers over the inch high stubble on the top of his head. Turning away from Lana, Whitney whispered, "I'm sorry, Lana, but."

"But, what?" she asked.

With his back turned to her, Whitney replied, "I want more, Lana. I mean. I thought we were past this - all your princess games."

Remembering that insanity laced June night, Lana spoke coolly, "It's never been a game. I'm sorry, Whitney. I'm sorry if I've deceived you. I'm sorry."

Looking at Whitney's back, Lana reasoned she could tell him now. Thanksgiving was in four days. Plenty of time for her and Nell to make different arrangements. She could tell him now that she wanted to be free. She could tell him that she didn't love him. He'd hurt for a second, but he'd be better off in the long run. Straightening her spine, Lana stood with the strength of her convictions until Whitney turned around.

The pain in his eyes made her pause. The power of his silence made her still. As if outside her body, she watched as he reached out and cupped her cheeks, stepping closer as he did so. Rubbing his thumbs over the dark circles under her eyes, Whitney sighed, "No, I'm sorry, Lana. It's just I'm scared. There's been a lot of talk lately. Talk of war."

Pulling her into a firm embrace, he continued, "They say it could come any day. If it does, I could be shipped out at a moment's notice. I'm just anxious. I guess, I'm anxious to tie up all the loose ends before anything bad can happen."

Against Whitney's shoulder, Lana nodded. Drawing her hands up his back, Lana didn't stop until she clutched at the back of his shoulders. Wide-eyed, Lana trembled and didn't stop even after Whitney started rubbing her back and shushing at her softly.

--<{()}>--

November 25, 2002
Luthor Towers
Metropolis, Kansas

Lex began to wonder if staying was really worth it. As the catering staff lowered yet another porcelain plate of artistically presented cuisine on the table before him, Lex choked down a yawn. All around him were the same boring people. Sure the events were different and a new charity fronted this excuse to meet and mingle, but the same high rollers were in attendance.

'I don't know how much more of this I can take,' mused Lex.

The night's only saving grace was his Father sat two tables away. Glancing over at his Father, Lex thought back a couple weeks. He remembered how his Father awoke the next morning and went about his normal routine. He had searched his Father's face that morning for some recollection of the previous night and the things said. Lex found nothing in his Father's face but an eagerness to tackle the next political obstacle.

In the past few weeks, they never spoke of that night. Lionel stopped taking the painkiller and things went back to business as usual. At one point, Lex began to wonder if it was all some dream. Sitting down in his cushioned chair, peeking at his Father, Lex wondered what would happen if he slipped a few pain pills into Lionel's drink, ground them up and cooked them into his food. Could he perhaps recapture that moment again? Could he have one more chance at connecting with his Father?

--<{()}>--

November 26, 2002
Kent Farm
Smallville, Kansas

She smiled when she saw him. After all these years, the very sight of him made her heart swell. Standing at the top of the stairs, Martha found Clark staring out his telescope. In his lap laid open the little seen book of star maps she had given him for his birthday. Approaching him, Martha hated the walking on eggshells that surrounded her. Had it so much time passed since the last time they had really talked. Not yelled. Not accused. Just talked. Martha found it hard to remember when last she felt that simple pleasure.

A couple footsteps apart, Clark looked up from the telescope. Quietly, he looked at her, waiting for her to say something. He hated the distance between them, but couldn't find a way to fix it. At a loss for words, he remained silent, feeling lost as she did the same. Searching her face, he saw love and concern in her eyes and wondered, 'Would that love and concern still be there if I told her everything?'

Wringing her hands, Martha pointed at the star maps and asked, "Find anything interesting?"

Looking down at star maps, Clark saw the maps depicting the Virgo-Coma galaxy region. His mind traveled back to his birthday and the way he'd shown the pages to Lex. 'It's been over a month since I last saw him,' mused Clark. Sighing loudly, Clark couldn't keep the frown off his face.

Martha caught on quick. She saw pain and loneliness cross Clark's face. Walking up to him, she wrapped an arm around his shoulders and asked, "Do you want to talk about whatever is on your mind?"

Shaking his head, Clark stood up. Walking away from Martha, he closed the book loudly, placing it on the coffee table. Running his hand through his hair, Clark replied, "I don't have anything on my mind, Mom. I just need some sleep. Midterms were a killer."

"You're sure that's all it is?" asked Martha.

Shrugging, Clark answered, "Yeah. What else could it be?"

"You looked lonely, just now. Not a response I expect you to have to hard midterms," said Martha.

Laughing nervously, Clark stated, "I'm not lonely. Really. I'm fine."

Stepping forward, Martha inquired, "Is it Lana?"

Clark's mouth dropped open. Shaking his head, he replied, "No. It's not. Haven't we been over this? There is nothing going on between Lana and me. Why don't you believe me?"

Martha tightly held her own hands as she answered, "Because you look so lonely. You look lovesick and who else could it be?"

'The truth isn't even a consideration for her. She can't even imagine what's happening to me.'

Clark didn't speak as he walked away. He left his Mother alone in the fortress of solitude, her question hanging in the air.

--<{()}>--

November 27, 2002
Cole Residence

Raymond Cole sat with controlled care. The outrage that filled his muscular frame threatened to break loose. Staring at Sam, he couldn't believe his ears as she said, "But Daddy, please."

With his arms crossed, Raymond glanced at his wife. She offered little but a nod of her head, passing the decision onto him. Shaking his head, Raymond stated, "No. Absolutely not."

"But that's not fair!" cried Sam, her hands rolled up into fists.

Sitting up in his armchair, Raymond bellowed, "Don't preach to me about fairness. Life is not fair. Life does not care about your plans. It proceeds on path with or without you."

Meeting her Father's gaze stubbornly, Sam bit her lower lip as her Father continued, "Do you want to know about fairness? Do you want to hear stories of refugees left adrift? Do you want to hear about families torn apart or wiped out all together?"

Rolling her eyes, Sam waited for her Father to finish before she began to speak. "Yeah, yeah. I've heard all that before. You're so into your traditions, but you don't follow them when it's inconvenient."

In response, Raymond made a move to stand. Flinching away from her father, Sam continued, "It is said that once the price of punishment is paid, then the guilty should be embraced as if innocent again."

Stepping forward, Sam sat down on Raymond's lap. Softly, she whispered, "I went with you before the Council, Daddy. I was judged as you watched. I've paid the price already."

Once again, Raymond looked to Sarah for guidance. This time, she didn't fail him. Nodding, her eyes conveyed her willingness to live up to their traditions. Sighing loudly, Raymond nodded as he said, "Okay you can volunteer with Laura at the soup kitchen, tomorrow."

Squealing with joy, Sam wrapped her arms around her father's neck and hugged him with all her might. "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."

Laughing, Raymond hugged her back. Jumping up off of her Father, Sam raced over to Sarah and proceeded to hug her as well. Smiling widely, Sarah hugged her little girl. Touching the girl's cheek, Sarah said simply, "Behave."

Suddenly sober, Sam stood straight up and nodded once at both of her parents. Turning about face like a soldier, Sam marched out of the living room. She kept her back straight as she passed Marcus in the hall. Opening the door to her bedroom, Sam stepped inside and pressed her back to the door as it clicked shut. Reclining against the door, she smirked at Laura in triumph.

"You should be an actress or a lawyer," remarked Laura, as she sat cross-legged on the edge of her twin bed.

"I'll give it some thought," replied Sam as she crossed the room to her own twin bed. Pulling the covers back, Sam slipped into bed. Bringing the covers up under her chin, Sam winked at Laura as she said with a giggle, "I going to go to sleep. I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow."

--<{()}>--

Thanksgiving Day 2002
Saint Vincent's Church
Smallville, Kansas

On the corner of Grant Avenue and Main Street, Sam waited. Standing apart from the line of people waiting to be served, she hoped. In the shadow of Saint Vincent's church, she prayed.

Her prayers were answered in the form of a royal blue 1964 Ford Falcon convertible. As the car pulled up to the street in front of her, she let out the breath she was holding. Opening the car door, she slid into the seat. She slammed the door shut before reaching over and wrapping her arms around Pete's neck. Enthusiastically, she pulled him into a rushed kiss. Finally pulling away, she ordered, "Floor it!"

"Never could say no to a lady," replied Pete as he put the car in gear and pulled away from the church.

Out on Hwy 90, on a secluded bend of road, Pete parked. With the top up, they didn't worry about the cold air just past the windshield. Hidden behind a line of trees, the fog that formed on the glass didn't concern them. In fact, in each other's arms, they didn't agonize about much of anything.

They reveled in the taste of each other. Kissing frantically, they let their hands roam freely. As he touched her thigh, Sam parted from him long enough to gasp. Looking into Pete's eyes, Sam didn't hold him back as his fingers inched forward. As his fingers hit home, she arched her back. Reaching out, she grabbed the collar of his shirt.

Pulling Pete closer, she panted wildly. As she fought for control, she pressed her forehead against Pete's. Rocking her head back and forth, Sam moaned so loudly she never heard the passenger side door as it was yanked open. In the instant a shock of frigid air pounded her, a strong hand grabbed her arm, dragging her from the car.

Jumping from the car, Pete stared wide-eyed at Marcus as he pulled Sam away. Running around the front end of the old Ford, Pete yelled, "Stop!"

Turning back, Marcus glared at Pete as he wrestled with Sam. Looking directly at Sam, Marcus warned, "Wait until Mom and Dad find out about this."

Sam went perfectly still. With fear in her eyes, she pleaded, "Please, Marcus. Don't tell them. You know what'll happen."

Pulling on Sam's arm again, Marcus commented, "Well, you should have thought about that before you and Laura concocted this little scheme. What were you thinking? You know Mom and Dad would never approve."

From behind his back, Marcus heard, "And what about you? Where do you stand?"

Still holding onto Sam, Marcus turned around to face Pete. Quickly, Marcus sneered, "I follow my parent's lead."

Waving his arms about as he approached Marcus, Pete asked, "What is it? A race thing? You can't stand the thought of your baby sister being with a black man?"

In response, Marcus laughed softly.

"It has nothing to do with that." Narrowing his eyes, Marcus glanced back and forth from Pete to Sam. Holding Sam behind him, Marcus continued, "You showed honor coming out of your car to protect my sister and I appreciate that so listen, the truth is this: Sam's life. My life. Laura's life. All of our lives were arranged for us a long time ago. As a result, there is simply no room in Sam's life for you."

As Marcus spoke, Pete held his gaze. Never wavering in his resolve, Once Marcus finished speaking; Pete asked Sam, "What do you want?"

Before Sam could answer, Marcus warned, "Do you want Mom and Dad to find out?"

Looking up at Marcus, Sam saw the bargain in his eyes. Closing her eyes, Sam made a decision. Turning to Pete, she swallowed down a lungful of air before she said, "Go home, Pete. Just go home."

He watched her walk away. All the while, his eyes never left the spot where Marcus painfully held her arm. Finally, once they were gone, Pete got back in his car and drove away.

Several minutes later, he arrived at the Kent Farm. It was still early morning and he prayed he didn't wake anybody up. Climbing out of the car, Pete chose to investigate the barn first. There, he found Clark sitting alone, staring out into space.

"Hey man. You mind if I share this sofa with you?" asked Pete.

Taken by surprise, Clark recovered quickly. "Sure, Pete. Go ahead and sit down."

Side by side on the sofa, they didn't saw a word. Then Pete opened his mouth and it all came rolling out. He told Clark everything. He reminisced over how he and Sam met and first started going out. He recounted election night and the recent incident on Hwy 90.

In the end, he made a comment relevant to them both, "I think what I hate the most is that she's just not here. I want her close by me, because that's the only time I feel really alive."

Looking at Pete, Clark could nothing more than nod his head in agreement. Thinking back, Clark realized the only time he'd felt alive in weeks was during a five-minute phone call from Lex. He hadn't laughed as freely since that phone call and he suspected he wouldn't feel so content again until Lex returned.

Dragged from his reverie, Clark thought he heard what sounded like somebody crying. Squinting, Clark asked, "Do you hear that?"

Looking about, Pete asked, "Hear what?"

Another high-pitched hitch of breath sounded. Jumping up, Clark said, "I heard it again. I think it's coming from downstairs."

Walking over to the handrail, he looked over the side. Below him, he saw his Mother crying as she clutched the handrail. Rushing down the stairs, Clark yelled, "Mom? What's wrong?"

As he reached her, Clark pulled Martha into a firm embrace as she continued to cry. Again, he asked, "Mom, what's the matter?"

She continued to cry long enough for Pete to join them at the foot of the stairs. Picking her head up off Clark's shoulder, Martha announced, "We're at war."

--<{()}>--

That Very Moment
The Fordman Residence

From across the table, Lana stared at Whitney's hungry eyes. Only she knew he yearned for something other than his Mother's peach cobbler. She let her mind recall the past few days and the bases she'd let Whitney round with a shudder up her spine. 'What am I doing?' She thought. 'This was supposed to end, not go even further.'

At the other end of the table, Nell and Mrs. Fordman quietly gossiped. Oblivious to everything but the latest scandal, they never noticed the intense need on Whitney's face. Blushing despite herself, Lana looks away only to hear a giggle escape Whitney.

Letting her off the hook, Whitney garnered his Mother's attention with a question: "Do you mind if I watch some football?"

Nodding their approval, Nell and Mrs. Fordman were knee deep in gossip by the time Whitney reached the TV. Switching on the set, Whitney started to search for a game when the words "Special Report" caught his eye. Turning up the volume, he watched as Dan Rather described the devastation that once was San Diego, California.

As Whitney felt his legs give out from under him, Dan Rather reported, "I repeat, we have been attacked. San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant exploded at 6:23 a.m., Pacific Standard Time. The destruction stretches as far North as the historic Mission of San Juan Capistrano, as far South as La Jolla and as Far East as Temecula. Al Queda has already issued a statement taking credit for the blast, but a full investigation is pending."

Whitney didn't hear anything after that. His vision became obscured with an eerie white light. His mind went numb, as did his body. He felt nothing, not even Lana putting her arms around him.

As his vision returned, so did his hearing. The first thing he heard was President Bush declaring war: "The response to such a cowardly act must be quick. To hesitate is to appear weak."

Something clicked in Whitney's head. Standing up, he shrugged off Lana and declared, "I need to use the phone."

Several minutes later, Whitney reentered the living room. Looking around the room, he saw his Mother and Nell embracing as they stared in horror at the television. Looking at the TV, he saw Lana kneeling on the floor in front of it, staring in a trance at the smoldering ruins of a once powerful military installation.

"Camp Pendleton Marine Base, lying less than 5 miles to the south of San Onofre, was completely destroyed. Even more devastating than the loss of the historic landmark was the fact that troops were deployed to Camp Pendleton from stations across the United States in preparation for the President's expected assault on Iraq. More than 100,000 troops were stationed at Camp Pendleton awaiting deployment when San Onofre exploded. Foremost in the minds of military leaders at this moment is the loss of equipment, supplies and trained soldiers."

Clearing his throat, Whitney revealed, "I just got off the phone with command. They want all Marines to start making their way to the Lejuene Marine Base in North Carolina. Command has scheduled a flight for me and other local area Marines. It's American Airlines flight# 34 leaving from Metropolis International Airport at 11:45 tonight."

For a minute, no one did anything in response to Whitney's announcement. After a minute, all hell broke loose. Mrs. Fordman started screaming and yelling. "No! You're not going! I won't let you go!"

She rushed across the room and grabbed onto to Whitney. Flinging her arms around him, she cried, "They can't have you! They can't have my only son! You're all I have left!"

With tears in his eyes, Whitney struggled with his Mother. Not wanting to hurt her, he allowed her to pummel his chest as he tried to gently push her away.

In a manner most unlike her, Nell came to the rescue. Grabbing up her jacket, Nell wrapped her arms around Mrs. Fordman from behind. Slowly drawing her away from Whitney, Nell shushed and cooed as she held her. As Mrs. Fordman continued to cry loudly, Nell steered her toward the door. As she opened the door and guided Mrs. Fordman through it, she told Lana, "We'll be back in a few hours. I just need to take her somewhere and calm her down."

Lana nodded while still in a daze. She stared at the door for what felt like an eternity until Whitney announced. "I need to pack."

Jerking her head to the left, Lana looked directly at Whitney. "I'll help you."

Standing at the foot of the stairs, Whitney waited for Lana. Extending his hand as she neared, he wrapped his hand around hers an instant after her fingers tickled his palm. Looking at her, he felt tears flood his eyes again. Offering all the strength she possessed, Lana squeezed Whitney's hand as she held his gaze. Turning, they ascended the stairs together, walking side-by-side.

Once inside his bedroom, Lana sat on the bed and watched Whitney pull out his duffel bag and start packing. As he rushed back and forth, his movements became short and efficient. As he shoved the shirts in the bag, he used a little more force each time until he was punching the bag, not even bothering to pack it anymore.

"Does she think this is easy? Does she think I want to go to war?" he asked as he grabbed the duffel bag and hugged it to his chest.

Still sitting on the bed, Lana replied, "I think she wants what we all want, Whitney. For you to be safe."

Spinning around, Whitney leaned over Lana and argued, "Didn't you just see the TV, Lana? No one is safe. Not anymore."

At his words, she felt her throat constrict. Barely able to breathe, Lana struggled until she squeaked in response, "Oh God."

At the sound of Lana's strangled cry, the madness left Whitney's face. Instantly he crossed the room. Sitting on the bed beside Lana, he wrapped his arms around her trembling body. "There is only one thing that makes me willing to go - You, Lana. I want you to be safe. If something I do makes that possible, then it's all worth it."

Shaking her head, Lana could only burrow her back into his chest and cling to his arms. Between swallows, she protested, "No! No. Not for me. Don't do this for me."

Turning Lana around, Whitney whispered, "I love you," just before drawing her into a passionate kiss.

Pushing against Whitney's chest, Lana managed to free her lips enough to say, "I don't want you to die for me."

The rest of her words were lost as Whitney kissed her again. Against his lips, Lana cried again and again, "I don't want you to die for me."

Pulling away, Whitney looked her dead in the eyes as he stated sincerely, "I don't want to die."

Stunned silent by his words, Lana didn't protest as he pushed her down on the bed. As his heavy body covered her own, Lana wrapped her arms around his back and whispered into his ear, "Stay with me."

After getting his pants undone, Whitney unbuttoned her blouse and pushed up her skirt. As he lowered himself back on top of her, she spread her legs and chanted, "Don't die. Don't die."

"Please, don't die."



Chapter 14: One Closet Door Slammed Open


I don't care what they think,
I don't care what they say,
What do they know about this love anyway?
- "Come To My Window" performed by Melissa Etheridge


December 8, 2002
Metropolis, Kansas

"So, you're heading back to Smallville already," said Lionel as he stood in the doorway and watched as Lex zipped up his travel bag.

Exhaling loudly, Lex couldn't fight off the urge to slightly shake his head. Without looking back at his Father, Lex replied, "Yes, Dad. I think I've been away from my responsibilities long enough, don't you?"

Sliding his hands into his jacket pockets, Lionel casually remarked, "You mean you've been away from that young farm boy long enough."

Taking a second to close his eyes and calm his outrage, Lex pulled the strap of his bag onto his shoulder and said, "C'mon, Dad. We've managed to have an entire week pass without you mentioning Clark in some snide way. It actually hasn't been a bad week. Why don't we just keep it that way?"

Quietly, Lionel watched as Lex picked up his wallet and keys from the bedside table. As Lex turned toward him, Lionel coolly observed, "This thing you have with the Kent boy can only end badly, Lex. Mark my words."

Pausing in front of Lionel, Lex adjusted the thick strap hanging on his right shoulder as he asked, "Was that meant to be a bit of fatherly advice or a threat?"

"Take it whichever way gets you to leave him the fastest," replied Lionel.

Arching an eyebrow, Lex looked straight into Lionel's eyes before shaking his head. Brushing Lionel aside as he exited the scene, Lex managed a couple parting words.

"Goodbye, Dad."

--<{()}>--

A Couple Hours Later
Hwy 90

Once again, Lex slammed his hand against the steering wheel. Grimacing from the pain that shot through his palm, he cursed under his breath. Gripping the steering wheel tightly, he pushed the accelerator a little further down. As the speedometer gauge climbed higher, he remembered the past few weeks.

Sadly, he recalled election night. He never dreamed that Lionel still carried so much affection for his Mother. Affection? No. Love. He never realized his Father still loved his Mother so much.

With regret, he reminded himself that he failed to mention the incident to his Father the next day, the next week. He went so long without bringing it up that he just stopped trying to find a good time to do so.

With anger, he cursed himself as a coward. It seemed that he dodged Lionel more than he stood up to him. What was worse, he knew it and couldn't stand it.

Taking a moment to smack the steering wheel again, he cursed Lionel for making it so hard. He hated that it took an almost fatal combination of alcohol and prescription medication to get the man to reach out emotionally. He hated that the next morning it was back to business as usual. He hated how easily he fell back into that old routine.

Then, Lex remembered one other thing and when he did, he felt relief.

A moment afterwards, he felt joy.

With impatience, Lex pressed down even harder on the gas. As the world flew by, he could see the test results dangle in front of his face. He got the findings yesterday. Negative. Shaking his head, Lex smiled, knowing it was the last test he needed to be sure he was clean. Chewing on his bottom lip, Lex wasn't sure why he got so lucky but knew with certainty that he managed to dodge a bullet once again.

He felt more than knew Hickory Lane as he turned sharply onto the dirt road. Slowing down dramatically as he approached the yellow farmhouse, Lex barely crawled up the final 10 yards. Looking around cautiously, he exhaled as he realized the Kent family truck wasn't parked beside the barn. Eyeing the house, he noticed all the darkened windows. Turning off his engine, Lex listened closely. He heard nothing but a rhythmic tapping and scrapping from the barn. Stepping from his car, he chose to investigate. Walking up to the structure, Lex scrutinized the newly oiled hinges before slowly opening the large, wooden door.

Lex couldn't believe his eyes. A God stood before him - A bare-chested God who bore a striking resemblance to Clark Kent. Wearing nothing but jeans and steel toe work boots, he looked like an erotic version of a lumberjack. As if in a daze, all Lex could do was stare at his rippling muscles and the enticing way his apple-shaped ass rose in the air when he bent over to shovel up another load of hay with his pitchfork.

Swallowing hard, Lex didn't even try to conceal his intentions as he smiled mischievously. Quietly, carefully, he closed the door behind him. Silently, stealthily, he crossed the barn, zeroing in on his prey. As Clark bent over to collect more hay, Lex pounced, wrapping his arms around Clark's slender waist. Drawing him close, Lex pressed his groin against Clark's ass before leaning over and placing a kiss between his shoulder blades.

Taken by surprise, Clark broke away. Spinning around, he lifted his pitchfork high. Gripping the wood tightly, Clark stumbled back as his eyes focused on Lex. "Lex? What?"

Still smirking, Lex held up his hands in a mock defense. "Hey, watch where you point that thing. I just thought I'd drop by."

Lex lowered his hands as Clark lowered the pitchfork. Looking from side to side, Lex asked, "Where are your parents?"

Still shocked by Lex's appearance, Clark barely managed to answer, "They went into town to get some supplies. I heard them drive off about a half hour ago."

Intensely, Lex looked into Clark's eyes. "How long do you expect them to be gone?"

Managing to close his mouth long enough to swallow, Clark took in a deep breath before saying, "For a while."

"Good," replied Lex.

Flashing a feral grin, Lex stepped forward. Grabbing him by the hips, Lex pulled Clark forward until their chests pressed together. With his thumbs rubbing the skin just above the waistband of Clark's jeans, he dug his fingers into the firm flesh surrounding Clark's hipbones. Shifting forward, he pushed Clark backwards until his back met the wall.

Placing his palms on the rough wood, Lex leaned in. As their lips met, Lex pressed his groin against Clark, causing him to spread his legs. Sliding into place, Lex reveled in the feel of Clark's strong, young body. Cradled between Clark's firm thighs, Lex pressed harder, smiling when he felt Clark moan against his lips.

Without warning, Clark wrapped his arms around Lex's waist. As he pulled Lex close, Clark alternated between hungrily worrying and frantically kissing Lex's lips. Running his hands over Lex's back, he only paused his frenzied movements long enough to grasp at Lex's lean muscles.

Then, it happened.

As he stroked Lex's flanks, Clark felt a tremor run through Lex's body. Grinning evilly, Clark danced his fingertips over the quivering flesh. As a result, Lex pushed away, laughing softly as he did. Gently, he placed his hands on Clark's cheeks. Leaning forward, Lex tenderly pressed his forehead against Clark's. As Lex rocked his head from side to side, their noses brushed against each other.

Soon, casual laughter filled the air between them.

Genuinely smiling for the first time in weeks, Clark said, "Y'know, that was a big risk you took earlier. I could have killed you with that pitchfork."

Shaking his head, Lex pulled away. As he opened his eyes, he said, "No. You wouldn't do that. You're much too careful."

Pulling back, Clark's head hit the wall as he asked, "What do you mean?"

Lex let his hands fall down Clark's bare arms. Slowly, he rubbed the smooth skin as he whispered, "I sense so much strength in you, Clark but, you always keep it in check."

Taken by surprise for the second time that night, Clark asked, "You sense that?"

Nodding once, Lex confirmed, "Yes, I do."

In response, Clark leaned forward and kissed Lex gently. Unlike the ones they shared only moments before, these kisses played out slowly. They lingered and sought to shut out the world. In this, they succeeded.

As Lex and Clark lost themselves in each other, the barn door opened again. Thanks to newly oiled hinges, it swung silently. As a result, they never saw her coming.

In truth, Martha barely placed both feet in the barn before she shattered the romantic scene with a gasp. "Oh my God."

Breaking apart, Lex and Clark placed distance between each other quickly. In an odd triangle, the three of them stared at each other silently. Cautiously, Lex took in Martha's stricken features before saying, "Mrs. Kent..."

Quick as a flash, Martha covered her face with her hands. After a moment, her shoulders started to quiver. Soon, she began to shake her head, fanning out her hair. Finally, she announced with conviction, "This isn't happening."

With a wavering voice, Clark asked, "Mom, I thought you went to town with Dad."

Lowering her hands, Martha stared at Clark as she yelled, "No! I went to check on the herd. I guess it's a good thing I did. Or maybe it's a bad thing. I don't know anymore."

Shaking, Clark stuttered as he pleaded, "Please, let me explain."

"Clark," growled Martha as she brought her angry gaze to bear on Clark's frightened face, "Shut up and get in the house."

Glancing at Lex, Clark whispered, "Mom."

Stepping backward, Martha pushed the barn door open. Standing rigidly, she ordered, "Now!"

From the corner of his eye, Lex could see defiance fill Clark. Acting quickly, Lex added, "Clark, go. Do as your Mother said."

Mouth hanging open, Clark looked back and forth from Martha to Lex. Closing his mouth, Clark set his jaw and left. Left behind, Lex and Martha stood in silence. Lex stared straight at Martha, while she looked everywhere but at him.

Clearing his throat, Lex broke the silence. "Mrs. Kent?"

Martha's eyes grew hard. Enraged, her face flushed with color as she screamed, "Don't talk to me!"

Helplessly, Lex watched her flee from the barn. Tipping his head back, Lex shook his head from side to side in disbelief. His left hand trembling, Lex raised it and ran it across his scalp. Turning to the nearest wall, Lex kicked the wood hard before limping toward the barn door.

Distantly, Martha heard a sharp bang and knew Lex just kicked the barn. '*That*'*s great*,' thought Martha, '*a hole in the wall is just another thing to hate him for*.' Crossing over to the house, Martha could only see red. On top of that, she felt embarrassed about what she saw and the "I told you so" Jonathan would surely offer her later. As she ascended the back stairs, Martha asked herself, '*How could I have been so stupid*?'

The kitchen door slammed shut behind Martha as she stormed into the room. Instantly, she thought, '*He shouldn*'*t be here*.' He should have given her a wide berth and avoided her as best he could, but instead Clark stood bare-chested beside the kitchen table, staring back at her. In his eyes, Martha noticed a shadow of hope, but mostly she saw fear; more fear than she 'd ever seen in him before. The fear didn't lessen her disappointment or cool her anger, but it did give her pause - A pause that allowed time for her to control her raging emotions. That control permitted her to calmly say, "Clark, go to your room."

Swallowing hard, Clark watched as his Mother looked away from him, looked at anything but him. He felt tears sting his eyes as he begged, "Please Mom, let me explain."

"Explain?" whispered Martha. Facing Clark, Martha spoke quietly at first, but she got louder until she shouted the last of her words. "No. Go to your room. I am not listening to what my 16 year old son has to say about making out in my barn!"

"Then, maybe you'll listen to me."

Spinning around, Martha stared at Lex through the screen door. Pointing at Lex, Martha said, "You are the last person who has anything to say."

From behind her, Clark pled, "Mom, just listen to him."

"No." Her eyes never leaving Lex's, Martha replied, "I trusted you with my most precious thing. I entrusted my son to you and you betrayed me."

For a second, Lex's eyes closed. Slowly, they reopened as he said, "I'm sorry that you feel that way."

His calm demeanor enraged Martha even more. She wanted to scream. More than that, she wanted a good reason to hit this young man standing before her. Glancing at the kitchen counter, her fingers itched to grab one of the knives resting in their block. Bringing her eyes back to Lex, Martha threatened, "I have half a mind to call the police, right now."

"Mom, no," cried Clark.

Turning around, Martha stalked Clark. In response, Clark backed away as fast as he could. He stopped when he reached the supporting column he once broke with Phelan's back. This time, it was his back against the pillar as he watched his Mother advance, fury blazing in her eyes.

Stopping only inches from him, she reached up and grabbed his chin. Pulling it down, she stared directly into Clark's eyes as she asked, "How long has this been going on?"

When he didn't answer immediately, Martha manually shook his head until Clark replied, "Since my birthday."

Not letting go of Clark's chin, Martha glared over her shoulder and said, "You waited until he was just barely legal, didn't you?"

Without emotion, Lex slid his hands into his pant pockets. "That's correct."

The anger in her eyes burned even brighter at Lex's words. Turning back to Clark, Martha interrogated, "How far has this gone?"

Horrified, Clark could only stutter, "Mom?"

Letting go of Clark's chin, Martha reached even higher and grabbed the back of his head. Pulling his head down, she brought his face within millimeters of her own. "Tell me or so help me God, I will call the police, right now."

The tears in Clark's eyes threatened to spill as he responded to the threat, "Nothing's happened."

"Is that so?" inquired Martha.

"He's telling you the truth, Mrs. Kent. What you saw in the barn is the extent of what's happened between us," offered Lex from behind the screen door.

Martha searched Clark's glistening eyes as she asked one final question, "Is that true?"

"Yes. I swear it is, Mom, " replied Clark, his voice thick with emotion.

She continued to search his eyes until she was satisfied. Quickly, she released her hold on him. Pulling away, Martha hugged herself as she wandered slowly over to the screen door. Standing across from Lex, Martha whispered, "I hold you responsible for this."

Nodding, Lex agreed, "I know. So, do I."

Forgotten at the back of the kitchen, Clark announced, "Mom, that's not fair. Lex wasn't the only one involved in this. I had a part in it, too."

Coldly, Martha glanced at Clark and explained in an even voice, "You are a child - A 16 year old child."

Looking back at Lex, she continued, "You are not. You are an adult. It was your responsibility to make sure something like this didn't happen."

Nodding, Lex concurred, "You're right, Mrs. Kent."

Taking a few quick, short strides forward, Martha pressed her hands against the steel wire screen and cried, "Then, what happened? Why did you let this happen?"

Looking down at his hands, Lex replied, "It happened because I didn't stop it."

Letting her head fall back, Martha squeezed her eyes shut before saying, "But, why? Why my son?"

Looking back up, Lex waited until Martha returned his gaze. "How can you ask me that? You're his Mother. More than anyone, you should know how special he is."

Stunned, Martha followed Lex's eyes as they drifted past her. Looking over her right shoulder, Martha watched as Lex and Clark's eyes locked. She witnessed the connection between them. In disbelief, she recognized the peaceful expression that covered Clark's face as he held Lex's gaze. Shocked, she backed away from the truth as she backed away from the screen door.

Hugging herself, Martha cried, "I can't discuss this anymore. I need to talk this over with Jonathan."

"Mom," panicked Clark.

Shaking her head, Martha replied sternly, "No Clark, I'm not keeping this from him."

Slowly, she looked at Lex - Still standing on the other side of the screen door. Sadly, she said, "You had better leave. I expect Jonathan to be home anytime now. It..."

Finishing her sentence, Lex whispered, "...Would be better if I wasn't here when he shows up."

In response, she nodded.

With a final glance at Mrs. Kent, Lex looked at Clark and said, "Call me later, Clark."

Terrified, Clark watched Lex turned away from the door and start down the stairs. With each step, Lex disappeared a little more from view. When he finally vanished, Clark wrapped his arms around himself. Hunching his shoulders, Clark bowed his head as he leaned against the square column.

Finally, Martha said, "Clark-"

Looking up suddenly, Clark declared, "Please don't be mad, Mom. I swear I never wanted to hurt you. I swear I never wanted to lie."

With Clark's needful words, the last bit of fight fled from Martha's body. Limp and tired from battle, she forced herself to find the strength to look at Clark as she said, "Clark, can you just go to your room."

--<{()}>--

Twenty-Three Minutes Later

Clark had heard the truck pull up seven minutes ago. For the past five minutes, Clark waited. Five seconds ago, the loud voice belonging to his Father sounded just like he thought it would.

"Clark! Get down here, right now!"

With lead filled feet, Clark stomped down the stairs. At the foot of the stairs, he inhaled deeply as he walked into the living room. He saw his Mother sitting forward in her comfortable chair. He watched his Father pace from one side of the room to the other. Uncomfortably, Clark stood silently, waiting to be noticed.

Finally, his Father noted his entrance. Marching forward, Jonathan asked, "What is this your Mother told me about finding you and... and..."

"Lex," said Clark.

"Right. She told me she found you and that Luthor in the barn... in the barn..."

"Kissing. Mom caught us kissing," offered Clark.

"Yeah, doing that," said Jonathan. "That is unacceptable."

"I can't help it," replied Clark as he bowed his head, unable to look at the disgust in his Father's eyes.

"Of course, you can. Goddamn, Clark and of all people in this world to be doing it with," said Jonathan.

Defiantly, Clark looked up at his Father and asked, "What bothers you more, Dad - The fact that I'm gay or the fact that I'm with Lex?"

Returning his son's rebellious expression, Jonathan answered, "I'm not entirely sure."

Looking down, Clark took in a few short quick breaths. As his eyes darted about, Clark asked, "What is it with you and the Luthors, anyway?"

Anger punctuating his words, Jonathan replied, "Look at what the Luthors have done to this town, Clark. They're rich and mean. Their kind are vicious like sharks. They do what they want and they don't care who they hurt along the way."

Shaking his head, Clark said, "Lex didn't do anything to this town. His Father did. You are always judging him by what his Father has done."

From her perch, Martha offered her own take, "Clark, it's not that. We worry because Lex's world is so very different from our own."

Standing still, Clark pointed at his Father and said, "His kind."

Then, he pointed at his Mother and whispered, "His world."

Letting his hands fall down beside his thighs, he spoke softly. "What world am I from?" What kind am I?"

"Clark," gasped Martha as her right hand fluttered up to her neck.

Looking directly at his Mother, Clark continued, "Didn't you ever think maybe that's what we have in common - The fact we're so different from everyone else?"

Jonathan Kent's mouth fell open, but nothing came out. He stood perfectly still, caught between moments until finally he sputtered out, "You haven't told Lex about you landing with the meteors, have you?"

"No, I haven't, but I will. I know that now," replied Clark.

"Are you insane?" shouted Jonathan. "You cannot tell anyone. If you do, you could end up in a lab somewhere. Is that what you want?"

Clark couldn't hold back the tail end of a laugh as he replied, "Of course not, but what did you think that this would remain a little secret between the three of us forever?"

Tilting back his head, Jonathan jutted out his chin and answered, "I hoped."

This time, Clark let the sad laughter flow. Looking back and forth from his father to his Mother, Clark posed a question, "Did you ever think I would fall in love with someone? Did you? Did you really think I'd want to hide who I am from the person I love the most?"

Laughing, Jonathan shook his head as he said, "So, now you love him. Is that it?"

"Not yet. But I think I could," answered Clark.

In response, Jonathan walked away, turning his back on his son. Clark stared at his Father's back for a second before looking at his Mother. His eyes filled with tears at the helplessness he saw in her face. Turning toward her, Clark took a couple steps toward her while he said, "Please, tell me you understand. If you don't, then tell me you'll try to understand. Please."

Frowning deeply, Martha sighed, "Clark, I understand."

Just past Clark, Martha saw Jonathan spin around, shock filling his face. Drawing her eyes back up to her son's face, Martha continued, "I do, but Lex is so much older than you. Even if he were female, I wouldn't feel right about this."

Rolling his eyes, Clark argued, "He's just seven years older than me."

Letting out an airy laugh, Martha mimicked, "Just. You're only 16 years old. You don't have the experience to handle someone that much older than you."

Reigning in his anger, Clark disagreed, "But Mom, I'm not a child."

Jonathan chose that moment to interrupt. "Look, all this debate is pointless. You are my son and my son isn't gay. End of discussion."

"What?" Filled with indignation, Clark shot daggers at his Father as he implored to his Mother, "Mom?"

Stepping between Clark and Martha, Jonathan stood toe to toe with Clark. "Don't go crying to your Mother. You want to be treated like a man, you start acting like one."

Out of her seat in a flash, Martha pushed her way between Jonathan and Clark. Looking up at both of them, she said, "Look, let's take a break. We're starting to say things we might end up regretting."

At her words, both Jonathan and Clark took a step back. Exhaling, loudly, Martha placed a hand flat against each man's chest. Gently, she pushed them further apart. Finally, when both of them were a few feet apart, Martha looked up at Clark. Tugging on his T-shirt, Martha waited until Clark glanced down at her before she whispered, "Go to bed, Clark. Your father and I will discuss
this. We'll decide what happens from here on out. Is that understood?"

"Mom..." objected Clark. Looking across at his Father, Clark sighed, "Right."

Backing away from his parents, Clark didn't turn his back on them until he reached the stairs.

Rushing up the stairs, Clark felt his dry eyes burn again. As he slammed the door behind him, Clark felt his face grow hot. Grabbing the phone by his bed, Clark punched in Lex's number and tapped his foot impatiently as it rang.

Downstairs, Jonathan and Martha flinched as the slamming door shook the whole house. Unclenching their shoulders, they loudly sighed. Glancing at each other, they sighed again.

Sitting back down in her chair, Martha said, "Well, that was productive."

"What?" asked Jonathan as he sat down on the sofa.

"I said, 'That was productive.' Note the sarcasm," replied Martha. Crossing her arms over her chest, she continued, "By the way, thanks for making this into such a spectacle."

Falling back against the sofa cushions, Jonathon exhaled loudly. "Martha, don't be like that. Okay, I admit that I shouldn't have blown up like that, but damn it, this can't be happening."

Staring out into space, Martha said wistfully, "That's all I've been able to think since I saw them together. He asked which bothers us more. I don't know. I just know he's so young. He's so very young, Jonathon. He's supposed to be my baby. When did he stop being my baby?"

Jonathon's heart broke as he watched a tear spill down Martha's cheek. Sitting up, he reached out and took her hand. Gently, he smiled at her as he answered, "Oh Martha, he just grew up, is all."

Tugging on her callused fingertips, Jonathan urged Martha to join him on the sofa. With half-hearted protest, she crossed the space between them. Sitting beside her husband, she rested her cheek on Jonathan's right shoulder and sighed, "I never thought he'd grow up so fast."

Placing his right hand on Martha head, Jonathan absently stroked her hair. He sat calmly until a thought crept into his mind. Shrugging Martha away, Jonathan stood up and crossed over to the phone. Along the way, he gave the thought a voice. "He wouldn't be this way if it hadn't been for Luthor. Damn that man!"

Picking up the phone, Jonathan went to push buttons when he heard voices. Shock filled his face as he recognized Lex and Clark's voices. He looked over at Martha, but otherwise stood perfectly still. When Martha mouthed, "What is it?"

Jonathan mouthed back, "Lex."

Jumping up, Martha grabbed at the phone. A slight wrestling match ensued as they battled over the phone. Finally, they compromised. With the phone held between them, they pressed their heads against each other and listened.

"Lex, they can't make this decision for me. If I have to, I'll just run away."



Chapter 15: When Hiding Is No Longer An Option


There's a moment we all come to,
In our own time, in our own space,
When all that we've done,
We can undo,
If our heart's in the right place.
- "When You Come Back To Me" performed by Garth Brooks

"Lex, they can't make this decision for me. If I have to, I'll just run away," cried Clark. Short of breath, he took a moment to compose himself before continuing, "Yeah, that's just what I'll do - I'll run away. I'll go to the castle and we can get in your car and go somewhere where my parents will never find us."

On the other end, Lex waited. After Clark stopped talking, he cleared his throat and shifted in his office chair. Desperately, he wanted to tell Clark he didn't need to come over, yearned to say he'd be over in a few minutes, but he didn't. He couldn't. He cared too much. Instead, he took a deep breath and said, "You won't do any such thing, because if you come out here, I'll be forced to march your ass right back home."

"What?" exclaimed Clark. "Why?"

Swallowing hard, Lex struggled with his decision as he explained, "Because Clark, in the end, they're your parents and they're only doing this because they love you."

Laughing sarcastically, Clark remarked, "Well, they have a funny way of showing it."

'Couldn't make this easy for me, could you, Kent?' thought Lex as he sighed loudly into the phone. Licking his lips, Lex reclined in his chair and said, "Maybe so, Clark, but that doesn't stop the fact that they're your parents and they'll always be your parents. Trust me, Clark. You could do a lot worse than Jonathan and Martha Kent."

"Lex-," said Clark as he readied a rebuttal.

Quick to drive his point home, Lex sat forward again and rested his elbows on his desk as he stated, "No Clark, listen. I'm going to impart a bit of my Mother's wisdom on you. You see, my Father's family hated my Mother. They treated her terribly because they never believed she belonged. At every family function, all they did was look down their noses at her. I used to get so mad. I'd ask my Mom why she put up with it year after year. She always answered me the same way. She'd say, 'Alex-'"

"Alex? She didn't call you Lex?" asked Clark.

Rolling his eyes, Lex replied, "Yes - Alex. No, she didn't call me Lex. I didn't start using Lex until years after she died. Anyway, as I was saying, she'd say, 'Alex-'"

"Can I call you Alex?" inquired Clark.

"No," answered Lex quickly as he propped his head in his hand. Shaking his head, he asked, "Can I finish my story now or am I going to be interrupted again?"

Biting back a small fit of laughter, Clark assured, "Sorry. Won't happen again. Please go on."

Sitting up a little straighter, Lex continued, "Alright then. My Mother would say, 'Alex, you can't choose family. You simply have to survive the one you get.'"

Silence floated across the line until Clark coughed lightly and said, "So, what you're saying is I should just do whatever my family tells me to."

"No, not at all, Clark. What I'm saying is that you have a real family and you aught to fight a little more for it before you decide to throw it away," answered Lex in a low voice.

"What if the only way to save my family is to give you up? What would you have me do then?" asked Clark, honestly curious as to Lex's response.

Lex thought long and hard on that question. Unafraid of silence, Lex said nothing until he fought back the voice crying Clark's name. Exhaling loudly as he cleared his mind, Lex whispered, "I would say that some things deserve the greatest sacrifice you can make. I would have to say that you should walk away from me and if you can't, then I'll make it easy and I'll walk away from you."

"But why?" exclaimed Clark.

"Clark," said Lex, savoring the taste of the word on his tongue as he continued, "Jonathan Kent is a good Father who loves his son. As hard as it might be after I leave, deep down, you will still love your Father. Sure, you'll be resentful for a while and I'm sure quite a few quiet dinners will be eaten around the Kent family kitchen table, but someday you'll be doing your chores or chopping wood or whatever it is you people do on a farm and you'll look over at your Father and smile. Just like that, Clark, what you and I have will become something the two of you put behind you. Nothing more."

Shaking his head violently, Clark practically shouted into in the phone, "No! No, that isn't true."

Biting his lip at the pain in Clark's voice, Lex closed his eyes as he contended, "Yes, it is, Clark. You just don't realize it yet. You don't realize what a good family you have. I'd give anything to have a family like yours. Believe me, it's special. It's worth holding on to. If you let go if it, you'll regret it the rest of your life. If you hold on, someday everything will be okay. I promise you that."

Numb, Clark licked his dry lips before asking, "So, what do you want me to do?"

'What do I want? I want to go back in time and keep your Mother from ever finding out - that's what I want.' Taking a deep breath, Lex exhaled loudly then said, "I want you to get off the phone and go to sleep. I want you to wake up in the morning and do whatever you have to do to survive your family."

His throat thick with emotion, Clark croaked out, "'Kay."

After a brief pause, Lex spoke again, "Clark? Do one other thing for me, will you?"

"What is it?" asked Clark eagerly.

"Call me in the morning. Let me know what's going on. Tell me if I need to start packing," requested Lex.

"Okay," promised Clark. Swallowing hard, he offered optimistically, "Au revoir, Lex."

In response, Lex bit his lower lip. Just before pushing the end call button, he whispered a rushed, "Goodbye, Clark."


--<{()}>--

Downstairs

The Kents listened with baited breath to every last word of Lex and Clark's conversation. After they heard Clark's phone click down, they let some of the tension out of their bodies and stepped away from each other.

Walking the receiver back to the phone rest, Jonathan smiled as he announced cheerily, "Well, that makes this easier."

Across the room, Martha managed to take a couple steps to the side before collapsing onto her comfortable chair. In her mind, a collage of moments swirled in circles. She could see the first time Clark ever rushed into her arms. She could feel the joy, the desperation of that day again. She heard the first lies she told to questions concerning Clark's origins. She remembered how easily those lies left her mouth. She recalled how years later Clark looked happy every time he went to see Lex. Further still, she could no longer ignore the affection she saw between them earlier, in the kitchen.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Martha saw herself sitting beside Lex at Clark's birthday, comforting and reassuring him. She suddenly realized that earlier that afternoon Lex never once denied responsibility for anything. She heard again the words he just spoke, words she knew would keep her son with her. Uncomfortably, Martha realized that Lex did that. He convinced Clark to stay. Not herself. Not Jonathan.

As she heard Jonathan say, "Well, that makes this easier," Martha remembered the day after Clark's suspension from school. She recalled how Lex appeared the day after Clark was suspended, prepared to help her understand what was happening to Clark. She quickly realized this wasn't the first time Jonathan's bad temper and hatred of the Luthors had almost cost her her son. In the aftermath of this epiphany, Martha managed to ask, "Did we just listen to the same conversation?"

Sitting down on the sofa, Jonathan answered, "Yeah. Lex calmed Clark down and I'm pretty sure that Clark will stay put when we tell him that this thing with Lex has got to stop."

Still staring out into the swirling cloud of memory, Martha stated, "I'm not so sure we should do that now."

Sitting forward, Jonathan extended his open hands toward Martha and asked, "What? What was all that talk before about Clark being too young and inexperienced?"

Nodding, Martha replied, "I know, but I keep wondering if we, if I overreacted. Clark was right. He was going to fall in love eventually. I just didn't think it would be so soon or like this."

Cradling his head in both hands, Jonathan rocked his head back and forth. "No. Not Lex Luthor. He's dangerous."

Clasping her hands together, Martha stared at her fingers and mumbled, "I'm not so sure about that either. Not anymore. Not after that phone call."

Jumping to his feet, Jonathan exclaimed, "Great! One phone call and Luthor's a saint."

Jutting out her chin, Martha narrowed her eyes as she argued, "I'm not saying that, Jonathan. I'm just not convinced he's harmful. I think maybe, just maybe, Lex is good for Clark."

Throwing his hand into the air, Jonathan turned and walked away from his wife as he shouted, "Now, I've heard everything."

Staring pointedly at her husband, Martha ordered, "Jonathan, sit down."

When he didn't immediately comply, she repeated, "Sit down."

Looking into Martha's eyes, Jonathan saw no room for discussion. With a loud sigh, he walked over to the sofa and sat down heavily upon it.

Once Jonathan was seated, Martha looked directly at her husband's frowning face and continued, "Now Jonathan, be reasonable. You said it yourself - Lex calmed Clark down. He didn't have to do that. He could have taken my baby from me just then. He could have, but he didn't and I can't forget that."

At Martha's words, Jonathan's glaring eyes softened. Reaching across the distance between them, he took her hand in his. Gently massaging her fingers, Jonathan assured, "Martha, everything's going to be okay. I promise."

Nodding, Martha's demeanor grew certain and strong. Sitting up straighter, she held Jonathan's hand tightly and said, "Everything is going to be okay because we're going to allow this."

Martha quickly noted the disapproval in Jonathan's eyes and countered it just as fast. "Don't fool yourself, Jonathan. This may be a small town, but Clark still managed to hide this from us for six months. We're only deluding ourselves if we think this can't happen again. If we act unreasonably now, there will be a next time, but Clark will only be more careful. Next time, Clark won't get caught. Worse, he won't trust us enough to come to us if he needs help."

Jonathan didn't take his eyes off Martha for a second as she spoke. Once she finished, he let his head fall down. Slowly, he started shaking his head as he lifted it up. Looking in Martha's eyes, he stated, "I can't believe I'm actually considering agreeing to this."

Smiling widely, Martha leaned over and kissed Jonathan lightly on the cheek. Pulling away, she stopped a couple of inches from his face. "Well, like Lex said, you're a good Father who loves his son."

Grimacing, Jonathan shut his eyes and groaned, "That was a hit below the belt."

Smiling impishly, Martha agreed, "I know."

Opening his right eyes first, Jonathan looked Martha up and down. Pointing his right index finger at her, he gave in, "Okay. Okay, but I want restrictions. I'm going to need to see Lex play by our rules before I trust him."

Nodding, Martha said, "I agree. After all, Clark is only sixteen years old. He needs limits."

In haling deeply, Jonathan blew the air up at the ceiling quickly before he pointed out, "Limits, my ass. What he needs is a brick wall and a moat."

Tilting her head to the side and crossing her arms, Martha warned, "Jonathan."

Putting his hands up, Jonathan surrendered. "Yeah, yeah. I know. Look, I'll be okay."

Smiling again, Martha graced Jonathan's lips with a kiss this time. Standing up, she extended her hand to him and whispered, "Come to bed. We can decide on the rules in the morning."

--<{()}>--

December 9, 2003
6:13 a.m.

Like a man prepared to meet the firing squad, Clark descended the stairs. Entering the kitchen, he found his parents, still dressed in their pajamas, huddled at the kitchen table - an empty pot of coffee abandoned inches away from them. It took a second, but they finally noticed his entrance and waved him over. Silently, Clark crossed the room and sat down ready to face his doom.

Before saying anything, Jonathan gave one last pleading look at Martha. All he got in return was a stern expression and a tap on the arm, directing him to get on with it. Sighing loudly, Jonathan glanced one last time at his wife before saying, "Okay. Here's how it's gonna be - You can see him. There will be rules and curfews, but we won't try to stop you from seeing him."

In response, Clark's chin almost hit the floor, but he managed to close his mouth enough to ask, "Seriously?"

Smiling kindly, Martha reached across the table and grabbed his hand. "Yes. Seriously."

Jumping up, Clark quickly crossed over to his Mom and gave her a big hug. Letting go of his Mom, he headed for his Dad, but Jonathan stopped him with a hand on his chest and a stern warning, "Now, don't be so grateful. You haven't heard the restrictions yet."

Swallowing hard, Clark sobered immediately. Returning to his seat, he steeled himself and asked, "Okay. What are they?"

Glancing over at Jonathan, Martha said, "Well, that can wait. First, I want you to call Lex and tell him to come over."

"Come over?" inquired Clark.

Leaning back in his chair, Jonathan explained, "Yeah, come over. As in I don't want to be repeating myself. As in, I don't want anything lost in translation. Lex Luthor is never going to able to say he didn't know what our rules are."

Instantly, Clark gulped. As he tried to respond, his voice squeaked. Clearing his throat, Clark tried again, "Okay. Um. This isn't just so you can get him over here and give him the third degree, is it?"

Shrugging, Martha replied, "It is, but that's to be expected. So, go tell Lex and then come back because seeing how I'm going to have one more mouth to feed, I'm going to need help fixing breakfast."

Slightly dazed, Clark stood up slowly and said, "Sure. I'll be right back."

Barely managing to maintain his balance, Clark walked over to the counter and picked up the phone. He paused for a second while still holding the phone in his hand. Shrugging his shoulders, Clark glanced back at his parents. Looking straight ahead again, Clark waited a moment before glancing over his shoulder again. When the phone started to beep impatiently, he shook his head. Reminded of where he was, Clark pushed down the disconnect button quickly and proceeded to call Lex.

"LexCorp. How may I direct your call?"

"Hi, Sheila," said Clark.

Tersely, Sheila replied, "Mr. Kent. I'll patch you through right away."

Tilting his head to the right, Clark thought, 'What? No backhanded commentary or snide observations. She must be sick or something.'

A moment later, Lex spoke, "Luthor here."

Smiling at the sound of his voice, Clark whispered, "Hey Lex."

"Clark. Have you talked to your parents?" asked Lex.

His smile spread even wider as he replied, "Yes."

Hanging his head, Lex inhaled through his nose before he said, "Tell me the verdict."

"They want you to come over and have breakfast. At some point, they're going to tell us the rules we'll go by," replied Clark.

Rules?" asked Lex.

"Wait."

Stunned, Lex stumbled through a few words as Clark's words began to sink into his brain. "Wait a second. Breakfast?"

Laughing quietly, Clark explained, "Yeah. They said we can keep seeing each other, but they want us both here when they tell us the rules. My Dad said something about not wanting to repeat himself."

Blinking erratically, Lex spread out his right arm while still holding the phone against his ear with his left hand. Falling backwards, he collapsed onto his office chair. Finally, after several seconds, Lex smiled and said, "Well, I'm not surprised. Your parents are reasonable people."

Shaking his head, Clark contended, "Stop trying to sound so smug. I know you expected them to say no and don't even try to deny it."

Placing his hand over his heart, Lex looked up at the ceiling as he replied, "I deny nothing. I don't admit anything either, but that's beside the point."

"Of course," said Clark and he played with the phone cord. "So when can I expect you to come over here."

In one sweeping motion, Lex sat up. Inspecting his clothes for stains or imperfections, Lex ordered, "Give it to me straight, Kent. What am I looking at here? Mild Torture? Loaded shotguns?"

Quick to allay any concerns, Clark replied, "Nothing like that. Though my Mother did say something about the third degree."

"Third degree, huh?" Standing up, Lex leaned over his desk and pressed a bright white button. As Sheila entered the office toting her legal pad and calendar, Lex asked, "Quick - What's your Mother's favorite flower?"

"Uhh red tulips," replied Clark, curiously.

"Red tulips. Good, I can do red tulips on short notice." Lex watched as Sheila scribbled the info down and nodded as to the short notice comment.

Looking up, Sheila flashing first her left index finger, then her left index finger and middle finger.

In response, Lex announced, "Two dozen red tulips it is, then."

"Two dozen?" replied Clark. "I think that might be overkill."

"Okay, scratch that," said Lex as he watched Sheila look up expectantly. "How about one dozen?"

"Umm.Okay," mumbled Clark.

Flashing a "thumbs up" sign at Sheila, Lex waved his secretary off and returned to the conversation. "Clark? Be honest with me. How's your Dad looking?"

Glancing over his shoulder at his Dad, Clark noted the gloom filling every line on the man's face. "Uhh. It's kinda hard to tell. He's not happy, but he and Mom are agreed on us still seeing each other."

"United front - no matter what, huh?" Lex observed. "Well, can't say I'm really surprised."

Glancing down at his watch, Lex said, "Tell them 30 minutes, but I might be able to get there earlier."

"That's great," replied Clark. Just before saying au revoir, a question suddenly popped in his head. "Lex? Did you tell Sheila something about me calling this morning?"

Shifting about uncomfortably, Lex confirmed, "Yes, I told her I was expecting a very important phone call from you and she was to patch the call to my office the moment you called. Oh, I also remember saying something along the lines of she was to forward the call immediately. Even if the Lord Almighty was in my office, she was not to let you wait."

"You said all that?" inquired Clark.

"Would you like for me to transfer you back to Sheila to confirm the story?" countered Lex.

Shaking his head, Clark laughed, "No. It's okay. I believe you."

At that moment, Martha's voice rang out form the kitchen. "Clark, I could use some help in here."

Wrapping his hand around the mouthpiece, Clark whispered, "I gotta go."

"I heard," said Lex - A chuckle lining his speech. "Au revoir."

Standing perfectly still, Clark shut his eyes before whispering, "Au revoir."

--<{()}>--

Twenty-Two Minutes Later

Expectedly, The front door bell rang out. As a result, everyone in the house jumped up. Even with super speed on his side, Martha still managed to beat her son to the door. Taking a moment to pat down her hair and smooth out her blouse, she opened the door, smiling widely at the sight of Lex Luthor holding a pot of red tulips.

"How lovely!" she exclaimed as Lex offered the pot to her.

Once assured that Martha had a good hold of the pot, Lex pulled away and said, "I thought these would make a wonderful addition to your garden, Mrs. Kent."

Looking at the tall flowers, Martha replied, "They're just beautiful, Lex. It was very considerate of you to bring them over but it wasn't necessary."

"Well, my Mother taught me that a woman should always get flowers, especially when it's not necessary," said Lex as he graced Martha with a simple smile.

Blushing, Martha remembered the phone call from last night as she clutched the flower pot to her chest and said, "Smart woman - your Mother. Please come in."

Behind Martha, Jonathon couldn't resist rolling his eyes just once. 'God, it's getting shoveled pretty deep in here.' Staring straight at Lex, Jonathan neither nodded nor said a word, but he did step to the side just enough for Lex to pass the foyer and enter the living room.

In the middle of the living room, stood Clark. Upon seeing Lex, he smiled widely. Barely able to contain himself, he shoved his hands into his pockets and nodded at Lex before saying, "You want something to eat? Breakfast is ready."

Returning Clark's nod, Lex managed through sheer force of will to keep all but the slightest hint of a smile from his face. In his mind, he thought, 'Have you any idea how long I've wanted to hear you say something like that? God, why couldn't it have been under better circumstances?' Looking around, he realized everyone was waiting for an answer. Quickly, he offered one, "Yeah, starving. What have you got for me?"

Instantly, Lex heard a dull thud behind him. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw the potted plant he just gave Martha being shoved, rather forcefully, into Jonathan's midsection. Looking at Martha's face, 'determination' was the one word that came to his mind. Eyeing Jonathan's posture, Lex smiled as he recognized the defeat filling every movement as Jonathon took a hold of the planter.

The next thing Lex knew, Martha wound her arm around his arm and led him to the kitchen. Pointing at a chair, she let go of Lex and grabbed her apron. Pulling the apron strings around her waist, she started to dish out plates of steaming hot food with all the expertise of a short order cook.

Seconds later, both of the Kent males were seated quietly at the table. It unnerved Lex at how quickly they moved for food. Pulling out his own chair, Lex sank slowly down into his seat as he eyed the Kent men.

Much to Jonathan's chagrin, Martha served Lex first. She even paused for a moment until he took a bite of her famous home fries before bringing Jonathon and Clark their plates. Finally, placing her own plate on the table, Martha sat down between Lex and Clark and started to eat.

The next few minutes passed casually. It was quiet, but not uncomfortable. The room filled with the sound of metal forks clanking and scrapping against ceramic dishes and the occasional cough caused by Clark trying to swallow more than he should at any given time.

After the fifth cough, Martha admonished, "Clark, try to breathe, dear."

Just before shoveling more food in his mouth, Clark replied, "I'm hungry."

Not even looking up from his plate, Jonathon stated, "Let the boy eat, Martha."

As Martha sighed, Clark said, "Yeah, Ma. It's like you're always saying - I'm a growing-"

Glancing around the table, Clark soon realized all eyes were on him. Swallowing down a lump in his throat, he dropped his eyes down and scrutinized the tablecloth as he whispered, "Well, I'm growing anyway."

After that, silence filled the room. It lingered for several minutes until Martha ventured a question, "So Lex, how are you liking your breakfast?"

Before Lex could answer, Jonathan chimed in, "It's probably not what you're used to."

Looking across the table, Martha gave Jonathan a chilling look. In response, Jonathan shrugged before ducking his head and eating some more. Turning to Lex, Martha maintained her stricken expression until she was looking directly at Lex. Then, she smiled brightly.

Looking back and forth from Martha to Jonathan, Lex cleared his throat. Glancing at Jonathan, he said, "You're correct, Mr. Kent. It's not what I'm used to."

Looking directly at Martha's wilting smile, Lex assured, "It's much better. Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Kent."

Blushing, Martha replied, "Martha. Call me, Martha."

"Martha, it is then," said Lex as he smiled at Martha. Turning toward Jonathan, Lex opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted.

Looking Lex dead in the eye, Jonathan stated, "You can keep calling me Mr. Kent."

"Of course," replied Lex.

Glaring at Jonathan, Martha started in on the questioning. "So Lex, tell us something about yourself."

'And, so it begins.' Putting his fork down, Lex swallowed a couple times before answering, "There isn't much to tell that hasn't already ended up in a newspaper, magazine or tabloid." Her plastic smile melting a bit, Martha offered, "That must be very unnerving."

"I suppose," replied Lex. "It's something you just have to get used to. It's not like the paparazzi are going to go away anytime soon."

In response, Martha and Jonathan looked across the table at each other. Quietly, Lex watched their silent communication before looking across the table at Clark. That was when he saw the unease in Clark's eyes. Tilting his head to the side, Lex narrowed his eyes slowly.

Noticing the way Lex observed Clark, Martha asked another question, "Lex! Why don't you tell us about your childhood? I don't remember seeing much of you in the media when you were a child."

Looking down at his plate of half-eaten food, Lex said, "Yes well, my Mother worked very hard at keeping me out of the limelight. That all changed after she died."

Eyeing Lex curiously, Martha investigated further, "Tell me some more about her."

Glancing around the table, Lex straightened his back as he answered, "Her name was Lillian, but the people who knew her well called her Lily."

Resting her chin on her right hand, Martha watched Lex closely as she said, "Lily? That's very pretty. I remember reading articles about her when your parents married. She was a Scottish noble or something like that."

Letting out a little chuckle, Lex offered a small smile in lieu of a response.

"Was that not true?" inquired Martha.

Turning his head to the right, Lex stared intensely at Martha for a few seconds. Glancing around the table, he caught Clark's anxious expression. Realizing for who he was in this predicament, Lex decided to come clean, at least, just a little. Crossing his arms, Lex leaned back in his chair as he began, "That was the authorized version."

Looking up at the ceiling, he recounted, "Let me see - She was the daughter of Scottish nobility - Counts, to be exact. Her family's main financial holdings consisted of a few pharmaceutical companies and a couple international biomedical firms. She was orphaned at the age of eight by a tragic boating accident which left her the sole heir of her family fortune and estate."

Looking at Martha, he asked, "Does that sound like what you heard?"

Nodding, Martha whispered, "Yes."

"It was all lies," said Lex, as he looked her straight in the eye. "It was a cover story set up by my Father. He placed large sums of cash and a few businesses in my mother's name before they married."

Awestruck, Martha sighed, "Why did he do that?"

Offering a small smile, Lex replied, "Because he didn't want the world to know that he'd married his secretary."

Suddenly joining the conversation, Jonathan asked, "What?"

Hesitating, Lex looked at Clark. Finding the strength he needed, he explained, "My Mother wasn't an heiress. She wasn't a Countess. She wasn't even rich."

Pausing, Lex saw Clark's expression change. In the concern etching his face, Lex read, 'You don't have to do this.' Of course, that cinched things completely. Turning to Jonathon, Lex continued, "My Mother was Scottish. She spoke with the loveliest Edinburgh brogue. She was an orphan by the time my Father met her. Her Father died when she was 13. Her Mother died when she was 19. She had no siblings or close relation, so she had to rely on herself. She went to school. She came to the United States and quickly became employed at LuthorCorp."

"She worked at LuthorCorp for a few years before being assigned to my Father."

Pausing again, Lex looked about the room. Caught up in a memory, he laughed. Sighing loudly, he continued, "I remember my Mother told me once that if she had gone out with him when he first asked, my Father would have just gotten tired of her like he did all the others. Instead, she refused. She was probably the first person to ever tell my Father no. For two years, she told him no. He tried every trick and she didn't respond to a single one."

"He gave jewelry. She just handed it right back. He'd leave silk scarves draped over her chair only to find them neatly folded on the top of his desk by the end of the day. He bought her tickets to the symphony. When she tried to return them, he refused to take them back so she just didn't use them."

"Finally, he stopped giving her gifts altogether. For months, he didn't give her anything, not even a hello in the morning. My Mother thought he was over her and onto the next, but she was wrong."

"One day, my Father walked into the office after lunch carrying a single red rose. He stopped at her desk and, without saying a word, picked an old Coke bottle out of my Mother's trashcan. He slid the rose into the bottle and placed it on her desk. Then, he went into his office and shut the door."

"Well, my Mother was shocked, but she kept the flower. After that, my Father brought a different flower everyday. One day, he brought a violet and noticed how her eyes lit up. From then on, he only brought violets. This went on for months."

"In the end, she took pity on him and asked him if he wanted to go out to lunch with her sometime. He accepted. That was that. They dated for a couple of years while my Father created an adequate cover story and placed assets in her name, then they got married."

"That doesn't sound very much like the Lionel Luthor I know," sneered Jonathan.

Staring at Mr. Kent, Lex replied, "Mr. Kent, I'm usually the last person to defend my Father, but he wasn't always the bastard he is now."

"When did this great change take place?" asked Jonathan.

"Jonathan," said Martha, embarrassed for her husband.

Placing a hand on Martha's arm, Lex quieted her as he replied to Mr. Kent. "Quite frankly, you don't know it's like to be raised to trust no one. Then one day, you're handed one person you can trust, only to have that person ripped away from you. When that happens, all the goodness in you leaves with them. You see Mr. Kent, the humanity that once existed in my Father died with my Mother."

"Oh really? I remember him being one hell of a bastard when he came to Smallville and if memory serves me correctly, your Mother was still alive when that happened," retorted Jonathan.

Nodding, Lex replied, "I said he wasn't as much of a bastard. I never said he was a saint. He's always been a shrewd businessman and what happened in this town was the result of some rather educated people signing contracts they never bothered to read."

"How dare you? Those are some of the finest people in this community," growled Jonathan.

Letting out a smug little laugh, Lex said, "Please. One of them was a lawyer. She, at least, should have known better. But you don't see it that way, do you? No, you would rather vilify LuthorCorp than place a little responsibility where it belongs."

Standing up, Jonathan exclaimed, "You little son of a-"

"Dad! That's enough," shouted Clark as he stood up, a moment before a firm feminine hand grabbed his arm.

Looking to the left, he met his Mother's angry expression as she ordered, "Clark. Joseph. Kent. Sit down. Don't you ever talk to your Father that way."

Still angry, Clark bowed to his Mother's quiet strength and sat down. Next, Martha turned her fiery glare on Jonathan. With a roll of her eyes, she issued a silent order and Jonathan slowly complied by sitting back down on his chair. Turning to Lex, Martha quietly said, "There are things we may never agree on, but if you're going to. see Clark, then there are certain subjects that should simply be left alone."

Looking down, Lex replied, "I agree."

"Good," sighed Martha. "Now, let's get to those rules."

Interlacing her fingers, Martha nodded at Jonathan and waited. After taking a moment to clear his throat, Jonathan announced, "First, Clark's curfew is 7:00pm Sunday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday, he can stay out until 10:00pm."

"What?" cried Clark.

Across the table, Lex got Clark's attention by calling out his name. When Clark looked at him, he pressed his open hand against the table. After Clark quieted down, Lex turned to Mr. Kent and looked him directly into his eyes as he said, "Please, go on."

Staring back at Lex, Jonathan continued, "Second, nothing happens in this house or anywhere else on this farm. I can barely stand to think about what you two are doing and I sure as hell don't want to walk in on it like his Mother did."

Nodding, Lex agreed, "Understood. Is there anything else?"

"Yes, there is," said Jonathan. "There is a general bad influence rule. If his grades slip, if he ditches school, if he gets suspended again, I'll hold you personally responsible and this little experiment we're trying will end. Understand?"

"Perfectly. Is that all?" answered Lex in a steady voice.

Leaning back in his chair, Jonathan replied, "Yes. That's all."

Nodding, Lex drummed his fingers on the table a few times before standing up. Looking down at Martha, Lex paused before he slowly said, "Martha, would you mind if I took Clark to school, this morning?"

Swallowing hard, Martha sat speechless for a moment before finding her voice. "No. I don't mind. Just be sure he isn't late for school."

"Of course," replied Lex before looking at Clark and saying, "Let's go."

Standing up, Clark carefully walked around his Father. Stopping in the living room long enough to grab his backpack, Clark quickly followed Lex out the door. Together, they hopped down the stairs and crossed over to Lex's red Ferrari. Climbing into the car, Lex glanced at the kitchen door once, finding Jonathan Kent staring back at him. Quietly, they exchanged glares as Clark snapped his seatbelt in place. Once Clark finished, Lex nodded at Jonathan once before turning on the car and driving away.

Finally clear of Hickory Lane, Clark exhaled. Looking out the passenger side window, Clark complained, "Can you believe those rules? A curfew? I've never had a curfew before and I can't believe they're blaming that whole scarecrow thing on you. I mean-"

The speed with which the car pulled over to the side of the road caused Clark to jerk to the side, slamming against the passenger side door. Confused, he pushed away from the door and watched Lex reach for the key in the ignition.

Quickly, as he turned the engine off, Lex commanded, "Clark, shut up."

Shocked, Clark never got to ask why. Grabbing him by his hair, Lex dragged Clark over and kissed him soundly. At first, Clark was tense with confusion, but soon he relaxed and melted easily into Lex's waiting arms. After several moments, Lex loosened his grip and slowly pulled away from Clark. Looking into Clark's eyes, he managed to last a second before swiftly drawing Clark into a tight embrace.

By now, Clark caught on. He responded by wrapping his strong arms around Lex and drawing him as close as safety allowed. Tucking his face into the nape of Lex's neck, he smiled as Lex did the same. Together, they sat there until Lex got sore and reluctantly pulled away.

Turning in his seat, Lex placed his hand on the key in the ignition and started the car. Sitting there limply, he bit his lower lip before reaching across the center console and presenting his hand palm up. Immediately, Clark grasped his hand tightly. In response, Lex clutched Clark's hand with all his strength for a few seconds before letting go.

Without a word, Lex put the car in drive and headed for the high school.

--<{()}>--

After The Last Bell Of The School Day

"So she was just standing there, looking at you?" asked Lana.

"Yeah," replied Clark with half a groan as he walked down Main Street with Lana by his side.

Her eyes wide open, Lana crashed into a parking meter. Crying out in pain, she pushed away from the unyielding metal while she rubbed her bruised chest. After a couple sorrowful moans, she peeked up at Clark and noticed how he laughed at her pain. Her left hand rubbed a couple more comforting circles into her sore chest before snaking out and smacking Clark hard in the stomach.

At his look of shock, she hissed, "Jerk," then, calmly walked away.

Quickly, Clark caught up with Lana. Matching her stride, he apologized, "I'm sorry, but if you could have only seen it from my perspective."

Glaring up at Clark, Lana replied, "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Flipping her hair over her shoulder, Lana grimaced from the pain that shot across her chest as she asked, "So, after a bumpy beginning, your Mother came through, huh?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Well, she's trying. That's all I can ask for, right? Now, my Dad - That's a whole 'nother story."

Biting on her lip, Lana tucked a few wind-strewn locks behind her ear. "He was that bad, huh?"

Looking at the sidewalk, the buildings, the parking meters, Clark whispered, "Yeah."

Rubbing Clark's left arm, Lana offered, "It'll get better, Clark. You'll see."

Looking down at Lana, Clark smiled weakly as he replied, "I guess."

She continued to rub his arm until they reached the Talon. Then, she stepped away long enough to open the front door and usher him inside. With Clark in tow, Lana waved off her staff as she left orders to not be disturbed as they entered her office.

Sitting across from each other, Lana absently rubbed her aching chest muscles. Quietly, she watched Clark. Sadly, she noticed the way he mindlessly worked his thumbnail into the grooves of his chair's armrest. Finally, she asked, "So, what now?"

Looking up, Clark was at a loss for words. Staring directly into Lana's eyes, he said, "I don't know. All day, this morning has replayed over and over again in my mind. I couldn't think about anything else. Four teachers called on me and I didn't even know it. Twice, Chloe asked me what was up. Even Pete got a clue that everything wasn't exactly right."

Leaning forward, he rested his forehead against his palms. Shaking his head, he murmured, "I just don't know."

"Sounds to me like you're tired of hiding," said Lana.

Slowly, Clark combed his fingers back, through his hair. As he laced his fingers together at the base of his skull, he looked up at her. "It sounds like that to me, too."

"You have a lot to hide, Clark. Some of it, you can never tell. Some of it, you can," Lana offered in a low voice.

"Hiding is like second nature to me, now," replied Clark.

Shaking her head, Lana argued, "No, it isn't. It's something you've had to do, for some very good reasons, but it's not natural. Not for you. Not for anybody. It seems to me, Clark, this may be the one secret you can tell the world."

"It's not that simple, Lana," he answered, weakly.

Shaking her head again, Lana asked, "Clark, aren't you tired of having to keep your lies straight?"

Silent, he stared back at her. Swallowing hard, all he could do was nod his head once. Letting his hands fall into his lap, Clark leaned back until his back met the chair back. With a heavy sigh, he asked, "What do I do now?"

Tilting her head to the right, Lana offered a sad smile as she sighed, "I'll always be here for you, Clark, but some questions only you can answer."

In response, Clark started a series of slow, bobbing nods of his head. Clutching onto the armrests, he pushed off the chair. Standing up, he grabbed his backpack off the chair beside him. Swinging the sack onto his shoulders, he said, "It's not just my secret."

A second later, he was gone.

--<{()}>--

A Few Seconds Later
Luthor Castle

"Hey Sheila, is Lex in," said Clark as he walked casually up to her desk.

Arching an eyebrow as she twisted her mouth away from a grimace, Sheila answered, "Of course. Wait here. I'll announce you."

Tapping his fingers on the top of her desk, Clark replied as he walked by her, "Don't bother. I know my way in."

Smiling widely, he opened the double doors. Entering Lex's office, he shut the doors behind his back. Then, he just stood there. Staring at Lex's startled face, Clark felt the steel in his spine melt away. The cocky smile he sported just a moment ago evaporated. Suddenly, he wasn't so sure he should be here.

At his desk, Lex wondered, 'Okay. What is this?'

He continued to stare at Clark for another second until the silence became unbearable. "Clark."

"Lex," stuttered Clark.

"Good. We know each other's names," observed Lex.

"Excuse me?" inquired Clark.

Waving a hand at Clark, Lex said, "What's going on?"

"I have something to ask you," replied Clark.

Shutting down his laptop, Lex lowered the screen as he remarked, "That's a phrase that's never hurt us. Ask away."

"Do you want to come out to my friends?" asked Clark

Lex closed his laptop with a loud click. "I guess there really is a first time for everything."

Stepping forward, Clark warily made his way over to Lex's desk. Carefully sitting down, Clark searched Lex's blank expression for some reaction. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore and said, "Lex, I know this is sudden."

Jerking his head to the right, Lex stared open-mouthed at Clark. After a moment passed, he shook his head and whispered, "Sudden? Sudden, Clark. It's not sudden. It's unthinkable. What are you talking about?"

Wincing, Clark replied, "I've been thinking and I realized that it's just a matter of time before this happens again. Getting caught, I mean. Look, we make out in your car along HWY 90 practically on a daily basis when you're in town. How long before Pete and Sam drive by and see us?"

"Pete and Sam?" inquired Lex.

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yeah, they hooked up while you were in Metropolis."

"Oh, good for them," noted Lex.

"Yeah." Drumming his fingers on Lex's desk, Clark asked, "So, what do you think?"

"What do I think?" mimicked Lex. "I think that you haven't thought this all the way through."

"That's not true," protested Clark.

"Fine. Tell me, Clark. What will you do when Chloe or Pete or Lana turn away from you, refuse to be your friend anymore just because you're gay?" ask Lex as he gazed intensely at Clark.

"They won't do that. They're my friends," replied Clark, sternly.

"Right," replied Lex. Looking over at Clark, he paused before he continued, "Have you considered that you're going to graduate from high school in a couple years and then you probably won't even see most of these people anymore? Why not wait until after you get to college to come out?"

"Because I'm tired," said Clark as he exhaled loudly. He brought his gaze to bear on Lex and stole a moment to lose himself in the green depths of Lex's eyes. "I'm tired of acting as if I'm ashamed of what we're doing. I'm tired of keeping us a secret."

'So, this; you have a problem keeping secret?' thought Lex. Clearing his throat, he made one final plea, "You do realize that your parent's reaction was really good, don't you? It was unexpected and more than I hoped for. Not everyone will be as easy as your parents."

"I know, but I hope things will turn out for the best," replied Clark.

"Eternal optimist. How did I ever get mixed up with an eternal optimist?" wondered Lex aloud.

Smiling again, Clark answered, "Must be fate."

Offering a small smile, Lex agreed, "Must be."

Reaching for his phone, Lex's finger hovered over a bright white button as he ordered, "Pick a date, Clark."

Clark panicked as he watched Lex press down the button that summoned Sheila. Flustered, Clark gaped at Lex as Lex smiled. Jumping in his seat, Clark heard the door open and the click clack of Sheila heels as she walked into the room. Looking over his shoulder, Clark saw Sheila standing there, holding her day planner, waiting expectedly to be assigned the next task. Turning around quickly, Clark met Lex playfully cruel eyes.

Hemming and hawing, Clark replied, "December 20th?"

"Are you sure about that?" inquired Lex.

Nodding, Clark stuttered, "Yeah, it's a Friday. The last day of school before Christmas break."

"Good choice. Especially considering your new curfew restrictions," said Lex. Looking past Clark, Lex nodded at Sheila. "Have housekeeping clear the game room in preparation for a small gathering on December 20th."

"Of course," replied Sheila quickly as she flipped forward in her planner. Pressing her pen to the memo space, she scribbled down the previous order as she asked, "Should I inform the chef that a formal dinner would be in order?"

Lex glanced at Clark who shook his head in response to the unanswered question. "No. Just have snacks available in the room when the guests arrive. No service necessary. Nothing too flashy."

In response, Sheila arched her eyebrow and inquired, "How many guests are expected?"

Frowning at Sheila's display, Lex asked, "Clark? How many?"

Shocked to be suddenly thrust back in the limelight, Clark swallowed a few times while looking up at the ceiling. "Umm. Seven."

Looking pointedly at Sheila, Lex said crisply, "Seven besides Clark and myself."

Casting her eyes downward, Sheila scribbled faster. Glancing warily at Lex, she asked, "Is that all?"

Glancing at Clark, Lex paused a moment before saying, "Yes, one more thing - Assign a driver to the limo to pick up the guests."

"Where should I tell the driver to pick up the guests?" asked Sheila.

Holding Clark's gaze, Lex replied, "At the Talon. At 5 o'clock in the evening. That'll be all, Sheila."

Watching Clark nod, Lex barely registered it as Sheila whispered on her way out, "As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

--<{()}>--

December 20, 2002
4:38 p.m.
Talon Cafe

"What's this all about, Clark?" asked Chloe in full reporter mode.

"Nothing. Lex is going to be in Metropolis over the holidays so I thought it would be nice if we could all give the guy a little pre-holiday cheer. So, I talked to some of his staff and managed to get them to help me out covertly," Clark lied.

"Hmm. I'm not so sure I believe you. You're acting very strange," remarked Chloe.

"Yeah Clark, you're all nervous man. What gives?" inquired Pete as he sat on a sofa and sipped at his coffee.

Wrapping his arms around himself, Clark contended, "I'm not nervous. What makes you think I'm nervous?"

Suddenly, Chloe started to circle him. "Let's see. You're shifting from one foot to another. You're constantly wiping your hands on your jeans so they must be sweaty, indeed. You keeping glancing at the clock every five seconds even though you are surrounded by my unique presence. And."

"And that's enough," announced Justin as he wound his arms around Chloe from behind. Against her ear, he whispered, "I thought we talked about this."

Slightly annoyed, Chloe leaned back against Justin and hissed, "I thought so, too."

Just then, a serving knife flew off a nearby table. Quick reflexes prevailed as Lana grabbed the floating cutlery and slammed it quickly and loudly back down on the tabletop. As everyone turned in her direction, Lana glared for a moment at Justin before replacing her scowl with a bright smile. Picking up the knife again, Lana asked, "Would anyone like some pie?"

In unison, Chloe and Justin shook their heads.

Alone on a sofa, Pete lifted his hand before asking Clark, "He is going to feed us, isn't he?"

Smiling, Clark replied, "Yeah, but I don't think he's prepared to do dinner for nine people on a moments notice and I wasn't sure how he'd react so I didn't ask his cook to prepare anything."

"Oh," replied Pete as he waved a hand at Lana and yelled, "I'll take a slice."

"I'd love a piece, too," Sam chimed in.

Several feet away, Marcus sat in a comfortable chair and frowned. Intensely, he kept a close eye on Sam as she sat on the adjacent couch with Laura. He'd noticed the little looks, the increased secrecy between Sam and Laura. He just knew she was still seeing Pete, but he just couldn't prove it. It made him paranoid of even innocent exchanges like requesting pie.

A minute later, Lana arrived with two servings of pie. She served Pete first, handing him a couple napkins first then, his pie. Walking over to Sam, Lana pressed a handful of napkins under the pie plate as she handed Sam her slice. "I hope you enjoy your pie."

"Oh, I think I will," beamed Sam as she took a hold of the plate, careful to not to make a mess or drop anything.

Again, Marcus glared. He watched Sam so intensely, he didn't even notice Lana as she stood in front of him.

"Are you sure you don't want any pie, Marcus?" inquired Lana.

Doing a double take, Marcus jumped in his skin. Looking up at Lana, he forced a distracted smile. "No, thank you. I'm not hungry."

Sitting down on the arm of the chair, Lana asked, "What are your plans for Christmas?"

"We don't celebrate Christmas," replied Marcus tersely.

Bringing her fingers up to her mouth, Lana gasped, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you're Jewish."

Exhaling loudly, Marcus said, "We're not Jewish either."

"Then why don't you celebrate Christmas?" asked Chloe as she leaned up against Lana.

"We're atheists," explained Marcus.

"Well, in the words of the great Jerry Seinfeld, 'I have the greatest respect for Atheists because I've always thought that it takes a lot of faith.' Ba da bump," joked Justin as he came to stand beside Chloe.

Everyone laughed except for Marcus. He just frowned and crossed him arms.

That was when a man dressed all in black entered the Talon and announced, "The limo is ready."

In a swarm of laughter, whispers and shuffled feet, everyone made their way for the door. Pete placed his plate and napkins on the sofa while Sam dropped the plate on a table as she headed for the door. Marcus followed her out, still glaring intensely.

--<{()}>--

Luthor Castle

"Your guests have arrived, Mr. Luthor," Sheila announced as she opened the double doors to Lex's game room.

Their heads spinning about, all of Clark's friends checked out the game room, all decked out with a spinning mirror ball and flickering lights. In the center of it all, stood Lex. His arms were crossed and his stance casual. An inside joke was molded into his wry smile.

Turning to Clark, they sought answers.

"What's he doing here? I thought this was supposed to be a surprise for Lex," snapped Pete.

"I knew it. I knew you were up to something. So, spill. What is this all about?" demanded Chloe.

"I must admit, Kent. You fooled even me, but why use so much deception?" asked Marcus.

Putting up his hands, Lex produced a small remote control. He pushed a couple buttons and all the flickering lights turned off as all the regular room lights came on. Except for the reflections bouncing off the mirrored ball, the room was simply lit by a few hanging lamps.

Sliding the remote into his pocket, Lex spoke loudly, "You have been brought here to witness an announcement."

Looking at Clark, Lex held his gaze as he said, "Clark."

All eyes back on him, Clark was uncomfortable. He glanced about the room, at the sea of friendly, if not curious, faces before meeting Lex's eyes again. Taking some strength from their connection, Clark began, "I admit it - This is all a sham. I lied to you about this being a surprise for Lex. In reality, the party is for all of you."

As everyone started to speak at once, Clark put up his hands and pled for patience, "I'll explain everything. You see. You are all my best friends. I've known some of you longer than I've known others, but I feel I can be myself with all of you."

Pausing, Clark looked out over the quiet group. Taking a deep breath, Clark said what's never easy to say, "I'm gay."

Glancing at Lana, Clark waited for a response. She gave one quickly as she winked at him as she stepped forward. A moment later, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close. Against his cheek, she whispered, "I'm so proud of you."

Quietly, he sighed, "Thank you."

Pulling away from Lana, Clark found himself confronted by a very intense Chloe Sullivan. Her hands on her hips, Chloe squinted as she said, "Truth, I suspected."

For a few more seconds, she held him captive within her scrutiny before smiling widely and spreading her arms. "What are you thinking? You're my Clark. I'll always love you."

Smiling, Clark swooped her into a tight embrace. He spun her around 360 degrees before placing her back down on the floor. Breathless, she stumbled backwards into Justin's waiting arms.

Looking up at Clark, Justin asked, "You on the up and up about this, Clark?"

Nodding, Clark replied soberly, "Yeah, I am."

Wrapping his arms around Chloe, Justin looked directly in Clark's eyes. "So, you lied when I asked you about that girl?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yeah, I did."

"That's good enough for me, man." Extending his right hand, Justin answered cryptically, "You've always kept your word when it mattered. That's all I care about."

They shook hands firmly until Justin unwrapped himself from Chloe long enough to draw Clark into a stiff hug. A couple backslaps later, Justin awkwardly pulled away. Chuckling nervously, Justin quipped, "Y'know a lesser man would be intimidated by a hug like that, but not me. I'm secure in my sexuality."

Rolling his eyes, Clark remarked, "And aren't we all glad for that."

Turning to his left, Clark faced Laura and the Coles. These were the wild cards. These were the ones that filled his waking nightmares. Gesturing uneasily, Clark asked, "What do you have to say?"

"Do your parents know?" asked Marcus cautiously.

Nodding, Clark replied, "Yeah, they found out a couple weeks ago."

"Are they okay with it?" asked Sam curiously.

"Yeah," said Clark in a quiet voice.

Taking a step back, Sam offered, "I wish you the best of luck."

Turning away from the trio, Clark glanced at Lex. In his eyes, he found compassion and understanding. He found love and a desire to protect, but he saw no hint of the warning Lex gave him earlier. Swallowing hard, Clark knew he probably just lost a few friends, but he forced himself to hold his head up high and walk away.

With hope, Clark sought out Pete. He found him leaning against the pool table. His arms crossed, Pete glared at Clark. In a gruff voice, he asked, "How long have you been gay?"

"I'm not sure. I just sort of realized it one day and from then on it just seemed like it had always been that way," Clark answered with a cracked voice.

Shaking his head, Pete laughed airily, "Next thing I know you're going to say that you're fucking Lex Luthor or something ridiculous like that."

Pete expected some kind of response. He didn't expect the silence. He didn't expect the tension that filled Clark's body or the cold way Clark looked back at him. In disbelief, Pete watched as Lex walked over to Clark and ran his arm around Clark's waist.

"I don't fucking believe this." Shaking his head again, Pete stomped out of the room.

Biting his lip, Clark fought back the grief and rage bubbling up within him. Leaning against Lex, he numbly grunted after Chloe assured him she'd go talk to him. Glancing at Lex, he knew his expression said what only his thoughts could say, 'You were right. I wasn't ready for this. I was stupid. I was naive.'

Placing a hand on Clark's cheek, Lex drew Clark's head down on his shoulder. Wrapping his arms around Clark, Lex whispered, "It's okay. I'm here."

As Lex and Clark shuffled away, Laura's eyes followed them with awe. Looking back and forth from Marcus to Sam, her features scrunched with disbelief at their inaction. Stepping away from them, she followed after Lex and Clark. Placing a hand on Lex's arm, she waited until they stopped. Lex looked at her first, but Clark followed suit shortly thereafter. Smiling weakly, Laura said, "The heart knows no master. It can do only what it does."

Smiling, they nodded at her words. Extending his hand, Lex said, "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," replied Laura as she shook his hand.

Chloe picked that moment to return. When Clark looked at her expectedly, she could only shake her head in response.

The rest of the night, Clark held his head high. He asked Lex to order the snacks and beverages. He spent the rest of the night by Lex's side, talking to his friends. He weathered the hours well and fought back the urge to bow his head and mope. Even though Pete never returned to the party, Clark managed to find reasons to smile.



Part 16: Have Some Deception With Your Nog?

I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me,
In our darkest hours.
To show us how to live,
To teach us how to give,
To guide us with a light of love.
- "Angels Among Us" performed by Alabama


December 21, 2002

"Lex! I demand to know the meaning of this," howled Lionel as he slammed the office door open.

Looking up from his mountain of paperwork, Lex sighed. '*What now*?' he thought. Slowly sitting back, Lex laced his fingers together and said, "I thought you had a rehab appointment, today."

Waving Lex's words away with an angry swipe of his hand, Lionel explained, "I cancelled it. I had to. I had to come out here and find out if you've completely lost your mind."

Cocking his head to the side, Lex rolled his eyes for effect. "Last I checked; I still clung to sanity. Despite your efforts."

As quickly as possible, Lionel hobbled over to Lex's desk. Looking down at Lex, he accused, "I'll have you know that your attempt to undermine LuthorCorp was all in vain. I just hope your little boy toy was duly impressed by your display."

'*How did you find out about that*?' Staring blankly up at his Father, Lex fought against furrowing his brow. After a moment for composure, he commented, "I'm sure I've done several things to undermine LuthorCorp in the past few weeks, so could you try to narrow down the field of possibilities?"

Exhaling loudly through his nose, Lionel replied, "I mean the little party you had last night."

Leaning down, only a couple inches from Lex's face, he continued, "Just how long did you think it would take before one of those children told all to the Inquisitor? Hmm? An hour? A day? Just how long did you think you could conceal this from me?"

Neither flinching nor backing away, Lex returned his Father's glare. Calmly and coolly, he responded, "I didn't conceal anything. Quite frankly, you've known about me for a long time so I have no reason to hide anything from you. As for the 'little party' I had last night - That's not your concern."

"Not my concern!" yelled Lionel as he stood up straight. "Of course, it's my concern. Everything about you is my concern, especially where LuthorCorp could be harmed."

Upon seeing Lex roll his eyes, Lionel sighed. Resting against the mahogany of Lex's desk, he asked, "When you were a foolish college boy getting caught with your pants down by the Inquisitor, the public didn't care. The board didn't care. Half the people didn't believe what they read and the other half thought it was a phase you'd grow out of. You're not a boy. You're not in college anymore. You have your hands in the works. People expect you to act like a man."

Staring down his Father, Lex growled, "I am a man."

Shaking his head, Lionel protested, "No. You're supposed to be a man, but I'm not sure what you are. You prance around, not caring about the effect this will have on LuthorCorp. Don't you see how this could make the stock price plummet? Or are you too busy fucking your boy to think about such things?"

Squaring his jaw, Lex sat forward before standing up. Eye-to-eye, he answered, "His name is Clark and he is not a matter for discussion. As for the rest, as I said - you've known what I am for a long time."

Fiercely, Lionel argued, "Correction. I knew what you thought you were."

Slowly, he clasped his hands behind his back. Holding his head high, he continued, "I know better. I've always known better. Just like all those years ago, I knew if I gave you the proper motivation, you'd become the son I deserved."

Stepping forward, he tipped his head down. His chest rippled from the soft chuckle that escaped him. Looking back at Lex, he smiled devilishly as he reminisced, "I remember that motivation cost a man his job."

"Are you attempting to threaten me?" asked Lex.

Laughing airily, Lionel cocked his head back and looked down his nose at Lex. "Threaten? Oh no, Lex. Threats are for people who can't actually follow through. Instead, think of this as a project with a definite, quickly approaching deadline. What you fall short of completing, I will be forced to
take care of myself."

Turning his back on Lex, Lionel waved lazily at his son as he left the room. From behind his desk, Lex watched him go. Gripping the wood of his desk tightly, he found it impossible to sit. Instead, he grabbed a bronze paperweight and threw it at the far wall, leaving a large dint in the wood
paneling.

Cursing loudly, Lex finally sank down into his chair. Resting his head into his hands, he pushed memories away. Centering his thoughts, Lex came to the realization that he had a real problem on his hands. Thinking back over the night before, he wondered aloud, "Which one of those little shits squealed?"

--<{()}>--

Casually, Sheila sat at her desk. Working on the latest job handed to her by her boss, her posture was perfect. Not a hair out of place. Not even the presence of Lionel Luthor frazzled her. In fact, her only response to him speeding past her was an arched eyebrow. His determined expression didn't even phase her. She just kept on working efficiently. Even the sharp thud that followed moments later didn't cause her the slightest pause.

Then, Lex emerged from his office. Instantly, Sheila snapped into action. Picking up her calendar, Sheila opened to her notepad while keeping her thumb under the page belonging to December 21, 2003.

Running his hand over his head, Lex paced. Back and forth before Sheila's desk, he walked briskly as he ordered, "Sheila, I want to know what every single person who was at the party last night did after they left. Also, I want to know what the papers know. Call Kerrie and see what she can find out. Have a full report prepared within two hours."

As her eyes widened, Sheila watched him walk away.

--<{()}>--

Main Street
Half An Hour Or So Later

Lex didn't need a fancy report to tell him who the most likely culprit was. *No*. Only one person stormed out last night. *Just one*. The one who was Clark's best friend. The one who shattered Clark's naive hopes. The one person who should have been there for Clark, but wasn't, the person walking casually down Main Street.

Pulling up to the curb, Lex ignored the cement stoop completely. Driving onto the sidewalk, Lex stepped on the brake as he came face to face with Pete Ross.

Jumping back, Pete shouted, "Watch it!"

Opening his car door, Lex emerged from the car in a fluid manner. Buttoning his jacket, he walked around the hood of the car as he said, "We need to talk."

"Stay the hell away from me," replied Pete as he turned to leave.

Grabbing Pete's arm, Lex argued, "You're not walking away so easily this time. I've got some things to say that you need to hear."

Pulling free, Pete countered, "Faggot. You've got nothing to say that I need to hear."

"Oh yes, I do," promised Lex as he spun Pete around, slamming him against the hood of the car. Leaning over Pete, he continued, "You're playing with the big boys now, Ross. Remember this - I'm a man whose capable of protecting what's his."

"Get away from me," cried Pete as he pushed at Lex's chest.

Finally, after a minor struggle, Lex flashed a cocky grin and pushed away from him. Cautiously, Pete slid off the hood. Backing away, he rubbed his hands on his jacket as he sneered, "Freaks. That's what the two of you are - Freaks. And I've got no time for freaks."

Looking Pete squarely in the eyes, Lex reminded, "Just remember."

--<{()}>--

Down The Block

He never saw her. She ducked around a corner before he could. As he passed without noticing her, she felt her heart break. As the sound of Lex's expensive automobile racing away filled her ears, she stepped out to watch Pete's retreating form. From behind swirling tears, Sam watched her hopes slink further and further away.

--<{()}>--

Luthor Manor
Nearly An Hour And A Half Later

"I have the report you requested, Mr. Luthor," said Sheila.

Extending his hand, Lex took the folder Sheila offered. Opening it, Lex glanced through it as he dismissed her, "You may go now, Sheila."

"As you wish, Mr. Luthor."

Leaning back in his chair once Sheila left the room, Lex started to seriously read the report. '*Home*. *Sleep*. *Home*. *Sleep*. *Home*. *Sleep*. *How boring*.' Then, he came to the Internet records of one guest. Quickly, Lex skipped to Kerrie's investigation. Slamming the folder shut, Lex had a new prey to track down.

--<{()}>--

Smallville High

According to a very expensive investigative report, on December 20, 2002, Chloe logged onto the Internet at 11:30pm. She contacted the Daily planet and the Metropolis Herald claiming to have a juicy story that could rock a Smallville company. The Daily Planet dismissed her early the next morning. At the same time, the Metropolis Herald sought more info. Editor, Kerrie Kastle, sent an e-mail to Chloe, requesting more info. Chloe wrote back a couple hours later seeking a face-to-face interview.

Kerrie Kastle accepted.

Little did Chloe know to whom Kerrie would be speaking to next.

Lex Luthor appeared at the Torch newsroom a little past four o'clock on December 21, 2002. He sported a severe frown and tense shoulders. Chloe noticed him almost immediately and asked sarcastically, "Well, well, what brings you here?"

Barely containing himself, Lex answered her question with a cold comment, "I thought you were his friend."

Squinting at Lex, Chloe retorted, "Excuse me? What are you talking about?"

Quickly crossing the room, Lex drew close up to Chloe and loomed over her. "Clark. Who else would I be talking about?"

In Chloe's mind, she saw the file containing Clark's birth certificate and notes from her investigation. By reflex, she glanced at her computer. Bringing her gaze to bear on Lex's serious face once again, Chloe said, "I don't know what you're talking about."

'*Liar*.' Sternly, Lex argued, "You know very well what I mean."

Tilting her head to the side, Chloe opined, "This sounds like a fishing expedition. What? Are you feeling jealous of the time Clark spends with his
friends? I've always thought you had a bit of a psychotic streak, but don't tell me you're trying to isolate him already."

"I mean the e-mails you've circulated throughout the pressrooms of Metropolis," offered Lex. Masking his confusion expertly, he wondered why she seemed suddenly relieved. Tipping his hand a little more, he continued, "I mean the interview you have scheduled for tomorrow with Kerrie Kastle."

As Lex spoke he couldn't help but smile at how the relief drained from Chloe's cheeks. By the time he finished speaking, Chloe's eyes were huge with confusion and fear.

"How? How did you know about that?" asked Chloe with a trembling voice.

"I don't reveal my sources," replied Lex with a devilish grin. Stepping forward, Lex watched as Chloe stepped back until she bumped against the table.

Sputtering and stuttering, Chloe tried to explain, "But, but, what do you care about something like that?"

Anger bubbling to the surface, Lex shouted, "How could I not care?"

Confused, Chloe stared at Lex. Then, it hit her. '*This is a snipe hunt*. *He doesn*'*t know anything*. *He thinks this is about LexCorp*.' Instantly, Chloe stood straighter. She brushed back her hair with her right hand and waited for a dramatic pause. A joke in her eyes, she smiled wickedly and said, "Get out of my office. You can't do a thing to me."

"Don't be so sure about that," warned Lex - Just before he stormed out of the room.

--<{()}>--

Talon Cafe
Just Minutes Later

"Okay. Okay. Easy. Okay. Okay. Perfect!" cried Lana.

Standing on ladders, Clark and Justin jerked their hands away from the extra-large Christmas wreath hanging over the entrance to the Talon. After a minute and a half of Lana telling them "a little more to the right. No, the left," Clark and Justin were done. Climbing down the ladders, they stepped back to eye their handy work - Wreaths hung over every doorway and dozens of streamers starting in every far corner met in the center of the room.

Inhaling deeply, Justin crossed his arms and said, "That was very cool. How long did that take us Clark?"

Glancing at his watch, Clark answered, "About four minutes."

Smiling widely, Justin said, "Yeah, powers can be fun, sometimes."

Stepping between them, Lana looked around, marveling at the yuletide scene created in less time than it takes to hard boil an egg. Wrapping her arms around both of their waists, Lana sighed, "Having superhero friends comes in handy sometimes, too."

The door opened behind them, presenting a very angry Chloe Sullivan. She rushed over to Clark and thrust her extended index finger at him as she yelled, "Keep your boyfriend away from me!"

Shocked to say the least, Clark took a step back. "Excuse me?"

Flushed with anger, Chloe explained, "Lex just attacked me in the pressroom."

In unison, Lana, Justin and Clark exclaimed, "Lex, what?"

Nodding her head, Chloe continued, "Yeah. That's right. He kept going on about telling all to the newspapers. He seemed to think I was selling your love story to the highest bidder. He's paranoid, Clark."

Instinctively, Justin stepped forward and gathered Chloe into his arms. Glaring at Clark with ever darkening eyes, Justin advised, "You better talk to Lex before I do."

--<{()}>--

Luthor Manor

Brushing past Sheila, Clark entered Lex's office without pause. Closing the door behind him, Clark found for whom he was looking. Sitting behind his desk, Lex stared back at him. Crossing the room, Clark asked, "You want to tell me what's going on?"

Sitting back in his chair, Lex inquired, "You want to be a little more specific?"

Tilting his head to the side, Clark sat down in one of Lex's guest chairs. "You know, stalking and attacking my friends."

"Oh that. Yes, well, which friend are we discussing now?" asked Lex.

"Which? You mean there's been more than one?" Shaking his head, Clark inquired further, "Okay. I know about Chloe. Who else have you gone after?"

"Pete," replied Lex, matter-of-factly.

"Pete." Looking Lex in the eyes, Clark continued, "Just what do you think you were doing?"

Sitting up straighter, Lex answered, "What I had to do. My father visited me this morning, Clark. He knows about everything. He knows about you and me. He knows about our little party last night. In short, he knows things he shouldn't have known."

Leaning his forehead on his fist, Clark said, "So, of course, you assumed it had to be one of my friends. Chloe said you were paranoid."

"They were the most obvious culprits," asserted Lex. Leaning toward Clark, Lex continued, "I did what I felt I needed to do. Pete and I shared some words that needed to be shared and quite frankly, Chloe isn't as innocent as she seems."

Sighing loudly, Clark offered, "So you're not wrong; everyone else is."

Smiling, Lex agreed, "Absolutely. The whole world is wrong."

"The whole world?" asked Clark.

"Yes Clark, the whole world," answered Lex. "There's a reason why I like that hunchback movie - It's so true. 'The world is cruel. The world is wicked.'"

Reaching across Lex's desk, Clark took Lex's hand in his as he countered, "Yeah, but remember the next line: It's I alone whom you can trust in this whole city."

Squeezing Clark's hand, Lex said, "Sure, that line, but remember who said it."

"Lex, the fact is the world is neither cruel nor wicked. I genuinely believe people want be kind and good. They just don't always make the best choices," said Clark

Pulling away, Lex argued, "Don't believe everything your parents taught you, Clark. Humans can be evil."

Nodding, Clark paused before stating, "Yeah, but they rarely want to be."

Letting out a sound that was half snort and half chuckle, Lex contended, "Who cares what they want?"

Disbelief covering his young features, Clark replied, "What do you mean? That's the most important part."

Truly amused at the point, Lex asked, "Really. How is that?

Quietly, Clark explained, "Because it means that they're always trying to be better people. In the end, that's enough."

After that, Lex stared at Clark for a several minutes. Inside, Lex lamented, '*You really are better than I deserve*.'

Dragging Lex from his reverie, Clark asked, "What are you doing for Christmas?"

At first, Lex appeared a bit shaken. Recovering quickly, he replied, "Nothing. I guess staying here at the castle. I can't imagine seeing my Father, right now."

"I could ask my parents if you can come over to our house," offered Clark.

Laughing softly, Lex said, "Yeah, that's likely to happen."

Leaning back in his chair, Clark sighed, "Well, I can ask.."

--<{()}>--

Kent Farm
That Evening

"Absolutely not," shouted Jonathon.

Looking back and forth from his Father to his Mother and back again, Clark pled with his eyes for them to reconsider. Instead, they stood more firmly in their resolve.

Kindly, but sternly, Martha agreed with her husband, "I'm sorry, Clark, but Christmas is for family and Lex is not a part of this family."

"Fine," replied Clark as he went up to his room. Behind his closed bedroom door, Clark shook his head as he dialed Lex's phone number. To Clark's
surprise, he picked up on the first ring. Sadly, Clark told him the bad news, "I'm sorry, Lex. They're just being unreasonable."

"Hey, they're your parents. They want you all to themselves for the holidays for as long as they can actually make it happen. It's understandable," reasoned Lex. "Besides, don't worry about me, Clark. It's not like this is the first holiday I've ever spent alone."

--<{()}>--

Luthor Castle

Limply, Lex placed the phone down. Playing with the cord, Lex found himself with way too much time on his hands. Flipping his laptop open, Lex checked his e-mail, cleared his recycle bin and repositioned all the icons on his desktop. Then, he started sorting files. A few hours later, he stumbled upon a forgotten task. Clicking the file open, he looked over the reports he compiled concerning KryCo.

--<{()}>--

Christmas Day

At a casual pace, Marcus and Laura walked down Main Street. Behind them, ten hours of voluntary work at the local shelter left them weary and ready for home. At peace with the eerie quiet of vacant streets, they noticed the music coming from the Talon right away.

Pointing at the Talon's front door, Laura observed, "Hey, the Talon's not supposed to be open today."

Shrugging, Marcus glanced at the lights streaming out of the doors and windows. "Maybe Lana's having a private gathering."

Staring at the Talon Laura offered another interpretation, "Or maybe, someone broke into the place. We should go check."

Looking back at Marcus, Laura tried to be shocked that she saw no concern for the establishment. Grabbing Marcus by the arm, she dragged him over to the Talon entrance. Peering inside, they saw someone seated at a corner table. Squinting his eyes, Marcus recognized the person immediately, "It's Lex Luthor. He's probably doing end of the year reports. Let's go."

He took almost two steps before Laura's hold on his arm stopped him in his tracks. Looking back, Marcus saw the determination in her eyes. Knowing defeat when he saw it, he simply nodded and opened the door for her.

Bent over a series of reports, Lex looked like a man trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle, trying to find the missing piece that would pull the whole thing
together. Taking a swig from his mug, he quickly closed his many folders as the front doors opened. Looking up, Lex didn't even recognize Laura and Marcus as he shouted, "The Talon's closed for business."

Slowly Laura approached Lex. Dragging Marcus along for the ride, she sat across from Lex. Subtly, she sniffed at the air and said warily, "Mr. Luthor. Is that nog you're drinking?"

Looking up, recognition filled Lex's features as he quickly stacked the folders one on top of the other as he replied, "As a matter of fact it is."

Inhaling the faint smell of strong alcohol, Laura inquired, "I thought Lana only made virgin nog."

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled a small flask from his pocket and said, "Yeah, that's why I added some Christmas cheer to it."

Unbuttoning her coat, Laura replied, "I see."

Looking at Laura, Lex's eyes zeroed in on a shiny bit of jewelry hanging from her neck. Reaching across the table, Lex gently touched a thin, silver-like metal band hanging from a silver chain. Looking up into Laura's eyes, Lex asked, "What is this?"

Suddenly nervous, Laura answered, "A ring."

Rolling his eyes, Lex brought his eyes back to the ring and the delicate, foreign characters etched across the surface, "I see that. What does the
inscription mean?"

"Umm," stuttered Laura. "I don't know."

The expression of Lex's face as he glanced up at her increasingly red face told Laura that he didn't believe that for a minute. As Laura struggled for a better lie, Lex reached out and grabbed the trinket, rolling it between his forefinger and thumb as he asked, "Really? Then what is it made out of? It's too light to be silver. It's too heavy to be platinum."

Finally at the end of her rope, Laura opted for the truth, "Look, I don't know much about it. It was something given to me by my parents before they died, okay? So, they're not exactly here to explain the great significance of this ring to me."

Attempting to stand, Laura found Lex only held onto the ring with a stronger grip. Angry and fed up with his behavior, she grabbed the ring, snatching it back from Lex as she painfully pinched his fingers. Instantly, she stood up ready to bolt, but she paused as she looked down at Lex's upturned face. In his eyes, she could see his mind working and the conclusions she saw forming were scarier than anything she'd ever seen before.

A moment later, she pushed Marcus out the front doors. Rushing home, she thrust her hands in her coat pockets, but forgot to zip up the front. As the cold wind beat against her, she wondered how to explain this to her Uncle.

--<{()}>--

December 27, 2002
Cole Residence

In response to the persistent ringing of the doorbell, Laura opened the front door. She groaned immediately at the sight of Lex Luthor.

For his part, Lex tried to not smile devilishly, but wasn't entirely successful. Nodding courteously, he asked, "Hello Laura, may I come in?"

Shaking her head, Laura answered, "No."

Leaning back, Lex said, "I'd like to speak to your Uncle."

Curtly, Laura replied, "He's not here."

Closely inspecting Laura's neckline, Lex observed, "You're not wearing your necklace. I hope that's not on account of me."

Glaring at Lex, Laura answered, "Don't flatter yourself. You're not that important."

"Really? Then why aren't you wearing it?" asked Lex.

"You don't know when to give up, do you Mr. Luthor?" asked Laura.

Nodding, Lex agreed, "No, I don't and you didn't answer the question."

Uncomfortable, Laura paused before saying, "I don't wear it everyday. It's just a reminder of my parents and something I don't except you to understand."

"Oh but I do understand," replied Lex as he raised the cuff on his left arm. "My Mother gave this watch to me before she died. I wear it almost everyday."

Lowering his cuff, he leaned toward Laura and said, "Tell your Uncle that I'll be waiting and that I see very clearly."

Noting the flash of fear in Laura's eyes, he smiled before walking away.

--<{()}>--

December 28, 2002
Kent Farm

Covered in flour, Martha wiped sweat off her forehead with the back of her right arm. Taking a few steps back, she twirled around and closed the oven door before ripping her oven mitts off and pressing her hands into the small of her aching back.

"I hope the Christmas order we made isn't too much for you."

Startled, Martha spun around. Standing at the door was Sarah Cole. With her left hand braced against the doorjamb, Sarah half-hid behind the wall as she said, "I know we asked for a lot."

Shaking her head, Martha waved a hand at Sarah as she replied, "Not a worry. It's just old bones. They never seem to do what they used to, do they?"

Smiling uncomfortably, Sarah stepped gingerly into the room. Glancing about the makeshift industrial kitchen, she noted the cleanliness and order. As she scanned the newly fortified walls of what was once just an idle shack adjoining the Kent residence, she nodded at the workmanship. Looking back at Martha, Sarah sighed, "Let me be blunt - I'm not here about our business dealings. I'm here to find out what you know about Lex Luthor."

Taken aback, Martha brought her hand up to her throat as she asked, "Why would you ask me about Lex Luthor?"

Clasping her hands behind her back, Sarah explained, "I don't know many people in this town, Martha, and I was led to understand that your son is very close to him."

Wiping her hands on her apron, Martha licked her lips and swallowed deeply before she replied with a raspy voice, "That's right."

Looking at the ground, Sarah asked, "Yes, well, all that aside, I have a need for information about him."

"What kind of information?" inquired Martha.

"I need to know if you know anything about his past business dealings, about how he handles opposition," said Sarah.

Blinking rapidly, Martha took a step away from Sarah. Searching the far walls, Martha answered, "I don't really know him very well, Sarah. He's...a friend of my son, that's all. But he is a Luthor, after all."

"I see," said Sarah. "I'm sorry I bothered you. I'll be going now. Let you get back to your work."

Fumbling with her purse, Sarah walked back toward the doorway. At the threshold, she turned back and looked at Martha. "I shouldn't be saying this, but as one Mother to another, you should know that something sinister lurks in that man. He's not always as pleasant as he appears. Be careful of how much influence he has over your son."

--<{()}>---

Several Minutes Later
Clark's Bedroom

Martha rushed into the house the moment Sarah left. Out of respect, she knocked before she rushed into his bedroom when Clark asked, "Who's there?"

Stepping into the room, she saw him reclined on his bed, a book resting on his stomach. Slowing down, she approached his bedside and said, "Sarah Cole was just here. She mentioned some things that are very troubling."

Sitting up, Clark lowered his right leg until his foot met the wooden floors. "Did she cancel her contract?"

Shaking her head, Martha replied, "No."

Stepping closer to Clark, she asked, "How many people know about you and Lex?

"I'm not sure. Several, that I know of, but they appear to have told others," answered Clark.

Nodding, Martha agreed, "Yes, apparently. Why didn't you speak with your Father and me before telling people something like this?"

Shrugging, Clark replied, "I didn't ask you because it didn't concern you."

"Excuse me? Didn't concern us? Clark, this is a small town and what you are, what you do and who you do it with reflects on us. When we gave you and Lex permission to see each other, we didn't think you would run out and tell the town. I mean, don't you have any consideration for what this might do to us?"

Shocked, Clark was speechless. Finally, when the power of speech returned to him, he stated, "If you wanted me to hide this, you should have been more clear. You've never had any problem telling me to hide something in the past, so you should have had no problem this time."

"Letting you continue to see him was a mistake, I see that now," observed Martha as she backed away from her son's rebuke. "Well, I'm going to correct that mistake right now. I don't want you to see him. I don't want you stepping off this farm until school starts. I have it on very good authority that he's not what he appears to be, Clark."

Shaking his head, all the blood ran from Clark's face as he begged, "Mom, don't do this. Please."

"I'm sorry, Clark, but sometimes a parent must do what they think is best for their child even if it's not what their child wants," Martha said as she closed his door behind her.

In shock, Clark sat there for several seconds. Unable to believe that after everything, he was in the same nightmare he always feared would come true. Picking up his phone, he dialed Lex's phone number slowly. After a few rings, Lex picked up and said, "Luthor here."

"Lex?"

"Clark? What's wrong?" asked Lex

Short of breath, Clark replied, "My parents said I can't see you anymore."

Quickly, Lex demanded, "What? Why?"

Clark answered, "Sara Cole was here today. I don't know what she told my Mom, but it was bad enough to make my Mom come straight up to my room and forbid me from seeing you."

"Is that so?" asked Lex.

"Yeah. What are we going to do, Lex?" asked Clark.

"You let me worry about that Clark. I'll see what I can do to remove the influence your Mother has come under. In the meantime, do as your parents say," ordered Lex as he hung up the phone.

--<{()}>--

December 29, 2002
Luthor Castle

"Mr. Luthor can see you now," Sheila announced.

Puffing out his chest, Raymond Cole dismissed Sheila entirely as he entered Lex's office. He was not impressed with the way the layout of the room guided his eyes to the large ornate desk or the high-backed executive chair from which Lex stared back at him, nor was he intimidated with the way the door closed, causing a loud din to reverberate through the room. Sitting across from Lex, Raymond calmly said, "I will say this once, Mr. Luthor, and only once - Stay away from my children."

"Well, that's hard to do in a small town," replied Lex as he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "Now, why don't we get down to the real reason why you're here."

Reaching over, Lex picked up a small stack of folders. Reaching out, he handed them to Raymond. Leaning back in his chair, he explained, "It has come to my attention that you're living up to your side of the bargain we made. By offering your employees the same income as LexCorp, I'm sure you thought I wouldn't notice that you've drastically increased their benefits and breaking our deal."

Sitting forward, Raymond countered, "So, sue me. Our bargain was illegal anyway. I doubt you want everyone to know about it - especially the SEC."

Lex argued, "I don't need to sue you to hurt you. Besides, I'm not the only one with something to worry about, am I?"

"I don't know what you are talking about, Mr. Luthor," replied Raymond.

Patiently, Lex explained, "Oh, Mr. Cole, I think you do. Do you know what's scarier than the SEC? No? Let me enlighten you. The EPA is far scarier than the SEC. The most the SEC will do is fine you. The EPA can shut you down entirely."

Pointing at the folders, Lex stated, "It has come to my attention that you are performing radioactive experiments in your labs - the very same labs that bring us industrial cleaners and agricultural ammonia. I'm sure the EPA would be very interested to know you're exposing the heartland to radioactive materials."

Smiling, Raymond replied, "You don't scare me, Mr. Luthor. I have Government contracts that allow for those experiments."

Cocking his head to the side, Lex said, "That's funny because my contact in the Department of Justice said you didn't."

Raymond's smile wilted as he asked, "What do you want, Mr. Luthor?"

"For you to tow the line. I'll let you have the holidays, but next week your employees better find out that their benefits have been slashed," warned Lex.

Acquiescing with a single sharp nod of the head, Raymond left the office.

As his office door shut, Lex whispered, "You're a fool if you think it'll be that easy."

--<{()}>--

New Year's Eve
11:40pm

The air smelled of cinnamon spiced ginger ale and a faint sweetness brought on by a freshly uncorked bottle of cheap champagne. Not looking at the clock, Clark knew it was twenty 'til Midnight. He could practically feel his parent's glee as they prepared the glasses for the annual Kent family New Year's Eve toast. In a few minutes, he knew they would form a circle in front of the TV while Dick Clark rocked through the last few minutes of 2002. Like so many times before, they will voice their New Year resolutions, wishes and hopes. By the time they finished, the ball would be dropping. Then, they'd kick back their drinks and his parents would share a New Year's kiss before turning to him, drawing him into a tight group hug.

It was something he usually looked forward to, but not this year. He didn't want to be here and every muscle in his body, every expression, every gesture he offered showed just how little he wanted to be here. After spending the past two days of listening to his Father hiss, "How am I ever going to look the neighbors in the face again?" Clark was in no mood to be festive. This fact finally hit home for his parents as they emerged from the kitchen with three glasses and wide smiles that drooped the moment they saw him slouching on the couch.

Jonathan bit his lip and tried to joke as he said, "Hey sport, come get your drink before it disappears."

Clark didn't even shrug. He just kept sitting on the sofa, staring at the TV.

Jonathan gripped the glasses tightly and repeated, "Clark, I'm speaking to you. Come get your drink."

Fumbling with the remote, Clark never looked at his Father. Thus he never saw the champagne splash across the surface of the desk as Jonathan slammed down the stemware. He never saw the way Jonathan stepped forward, his hand held high, on the verge of punctuating a lecture with a wide sweeping gesture. Regrettably, Clark would never see the sadness that filled his Father's eyes, nor would he see how the man's proud back hunched over as he left the room.

Of course, he couldn't say the same about his Mother. She rushed over and grabbed the remote control out of his hand. Unafraid, she turned the TV off and flung the remote across the room. As the plastic control burst open upon contact with the wall, she gained Clark's complete attention. Leaning over her son, Martha asked, "For the past three days, I've watched you mope around this house. I'm sick of it. Would you really rather be with him instead of your family?"

Wide-eyed, Clark tensed up as he looked up at his Mother. Tension filled his whole body as he stuttered his response, "Yes. It just doesn't seem right."

"But it's right for you to be disrespectful of your Father? It's right for you to ruin New Years for everyone around you? It's right for you to throw a temper tantrum like when you were three years old? Is that what you're trying to tell me?" argued Martha.

"No," replied Clark, weakly. Thinking back over the past few days, Clark felt guilt inch into his soul as he remembered his own conduct. Looking down at the floor, Clark whispered, "Look Mom, I'm sorry, but-"

"I'm not the one you should say you're sorry to," said Martha.

Sitting forward, Clark glanced at the staircase his Father used to flee the scene. Frowning, Clark lowered his head again. "I'm sorry."

Sitting next to her son, Martha asked, "Why is it so important for you to be with him instead of your family?"

Looking up at her, Clark thought for second before he answered, "Because he's all alone and I'm not. It just doesn't seem right."

Sitting up straighter, Martha used a deep breath to push back a teardrop. Glancing at her watch, she noted the time - 11:48pm. Pushing back a lock of red hair, Martha saw Clark follow her actions. At that moment, he looked so much like the little boy who twirled her hair around his fingers during the entire ride back to Smallville on the day he found them. Frowning deeply, Martha reached over and placed her hand on his cheek and said, "Then go."

"What?" asked Clark.

Smiling sadly, Martha replied, "Go. Quick, before I change my mind."

He didn't dare hesitate. Lunging forward, Clark gathered his Mother into a hug. Clutching her tightly, he whispered in her ear, "Thank you."

A moment later, he was gone.

--<{()}>--

Luther Manor
11:53pm

Quietly, Lex worked away the night in his darkly lit entertainment room. The only light in the room came from his laptop screen and scenes of Times Square broadcasted from his wide screen TV. Hunched over his laptop, Lex could see his plan come together. KryCo and the Coles with it would be gone within a couple months. There may be rumors, but there will be no evidence, linking him to the company's untimely demise. Then, he can try to work his way back into Martha Kent's good graces. Then, he would be with Clark again. Smiling cruelly, he continued to type furiously.

Suddenly, he felt as if he was being watched. Glancing over to the left, he saw Clark. Quickly lowering his laptop screen, Lex asked, "Clark? What are you doing here? Do your parents know you're here?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yeah. My Mom said I could come over."

"Really?" whispered Lex.

Smiling widely, Clark sat down beside Lex and laughed, "Really."

Sitting up, Lex placed his left hand on Clark's knee. "So there's hope."

Staring quizzically, Clark asked, "Hope?"

"Yes," said Lex as he continued to look over Clark's features from his wavy hair to his bright eyes and down to his full lips. "Hope that she'll like me again like she once did."

"Lex," Clark started to say.

Placing the fingers of his left hand against Clark's lips, Lex shushed him as he assured, "It's okay."

Leaning forward, Lex brushed his lips lightly across Clark's. Savoring the taste and the tease, Lex reached his left hand around Clark's head and grabbed a fistful of thick hair. Holding on, Lex began to kiss Clark.

"TEN! NINE!"

Quickly, Clark and Lex broke away from each other.

Looking at the Times Square shining out from the TV, Lex was startled to hear Clark say, "I resolve to be a better son to my parents. I wish everyone was as lucky as me and I hope for peace in the New Year."

"EIGHT! SEVEN!"

Smiling shyly, Clark glanced at Lex's curious face and admitted, "It's something I do with my parents at New Years."

"SIX! FIVE!"

Smiling back at Clark, Lex said, "You give me Faith."

"FOUR! THREE!"

Narrowing his eyes and furrowing his brow, Clark asked, "Faith? Faith in what?"

"TWO! ONE!"

"Faith that there's more out there like you," explained Lex as he placed the fingertips of his left hand on Clark's cheek and guided their lips until they pressed firmly against one another. At the same time, Lex reached out with his right hand and yanked the power cord out of his laptop, sending his vengeful plan of attack to oblivion.

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"



CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Bitter From The Sweet

I feel the Earth move under my feet,
I feel the sky tumbling down,
I feel my heart start to tremblin' whenever you're around.
- "I Feel the Earth Move" performed by Carole King


February 3, 2003
Kent Farm
5:05AM

"MORNING!"

"MORNING, HONEY! WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST?"

"THE USUAL."

"HMM.MY FAVORITE! COME HERE AND GIVE ME A KISS!"

Sitting straight up in bed, Clark covered his ears. It didn't help.

"JONATHAN, STOP THAT! NOW, SIT DOWN AND I'LL GET YOU SOME BREAKFAST!"

"AWW MARTHA, TAKE AWAY ALL MY FUN WHY DON'T YOU!"

"HUSH!"

Shaking his head, Clark slowly opened his eyes. He couldn't believe it. Sometime during the night, someone moved the entire city of Metropolis right outside his window. Continuing to stare out his window, Clark was struck by a rush of tremors and a new series of screams.

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

SIZZLE

POP

POP

SCRAPE

SIZZLE

"THE BACON'S A LITTLE BURNT! I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND!"

"YOU KNOW I DON'T!"

SCRAPE

SIZZLE

CLANK

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

STOMP

CLUNK

"THANK YOU, HONEY!"

"YOU'RE VERY WELCOME!"

SCRAPE

SCRAPE

SLURP

SCRAPE

SCRAPE

SLURP

CLANK

GULP

GULP

SLURP

THUD

"EVERYTHING TASTES GREAT TO ME!"

"GOOD!"

Quickly, a sharp pain shot across his temples. Throwing himself back against the mattress, Clark squeezed his eyes shut. Dragging his pillow over his head, Clark turned on his side and screamed.

--<{()}>--

At The House Next Door

Frantically, Lana clawed through her calendar. Opening the book to November, she slowly started counting weeks. When she reached the current date, she cried, "Oh no, 11 weeks."

Staring down at her flat stomach, Lana let the tears she fought back fall down her cheeks. Rubbing her abdomen, she sobbed, "Oh my God. It can't be."

Sitting down on her bed, Lana placed a hand over her mouth and cried. Looking upward, Lana prayed, "Dear God, what am I going to do?"

--<{()}>--

Back at The Kent Residence

Martha and Jonathan raced up the stairs the moment they heard Clark's first strangled yell. In his room, they found him curled into the fetal position, his pillow covering his head.

"CLARK, WHAT'S WRONG?"

"SON, TALK TO US!"

As they spoke, Clark recoiled away from them. Turning toward the bookcase, Clark curled himself up as tightly as possible. Quickly, Martha placed a hand on his shoulder. Instantly, her pulse traveled from her fingers throughout Clark's body. The throbbing of her heartbeat, made Clark cough as he battled to maintain his own respiratory rhythm.

As mind numbing as the noise and tremors were, they were nothing next to vibrations running through his body now. Out of desperation, Clark slapped Martha away. As a result, she sailed across the room. Colliding with Jonathan, they flew back together until Jonathan's back smacked against Clark's bedroom door.

Then, the rooster crowed.

From their vantage point on the floor, Martha and Jonathan watched as Clark writhed even more desperately in agony until the rooster ceased its racket. Realization hitting her, Martha quietly sat on the floor, mindful of the twitches that ran through Clark's body as her knees scraped against the floor. Turning to Jonathan, Martha placed her index finger over her lips. Turning back to Clark, Martha whispered in a voice so soft she could barely hear it herself, "Clark. Calm down honey. Tell me what's going on. Maybe, I can help."

As she spoke, Clark marginally relaxed. A few seconds after she stopped speaking, he was no longer writhing. His eyes still clinched shut, he panted hard as he rolled onto his back. He rested his head on his pillow and stretched his arms over his head. Barely conscious, he mumbled, "It's so loud. Why's it so loud?"

Biting her lip, Martha yearned to hug Clark, but knew that wouldn't help. Instead, she softly sighed, "Go to sleep, Clark. Get some rest and we'll deal with this later."

Nodding, Clark swallowed hard. A few seconds later, he was fast asleep.

--<{()}>--

Across Town at The Gaines' Residence

A moment after the alarm sounded, the machine responsible found itself smashed against the far wall. Looking at the pile of busted plastic, Chloe yawned. Stretching, she sighed, "Well, another alarm clock bites the dust."

When she didn't get a laugh or comical retort, Chloe glanced over at the man lying beside her. She watched as Justin stared at the crumpled remnants of the twelfth alarm clock he'd destroyed in the last six months. Rolling onto her side, she draped her arm across his chest and asked, "Something wrong?"

Looking back at Chloe, Justin paused before cracking a smile. "No, just wondering how I'm going to explain this one to my Mom."

Looking at Chloe's curious face, Justin thought, 'I didn't do that on purpose. In fact, I didn't have to try to do it at all. My God, I can't even control it enough to keep from doing it in front of you anymore.'

She could see the fear in his eyes, but pushed it out of her mind. Holding him tighter, Chloe placed her head on Justin's chest. Closing her eyes, she rubbed her cheek against his fine chest hair. Sliding her hand down his body, she worked at taking his concerns away.

--<{()}>--

A Couple of Hours Later
Kent Farm

Cautiously, Clark entered consciousness. Flinching as he slid over his blanket, he relaxed when the texture of the cloth didn't scrape noisily against his skin. Sitting up in bed, he shook his head a few times before opening his eyes. Looking out the window, he breathed a sigh of relief as rows of corn greeted him. Glancing toward his door, he found his Mother sitting with her back against the bedroom door, staring back at him.

"How long did I sleep?" asked Clark.

In the same soft voice as before, Martha replied, "A little more than two hours."

Squinting at his Mother, Clark asked, "What did you say?"

Gasping, Martha repeated in a normal voice, "A little more than two hours."

Nodding, Clark rubbed his face with his hands. Dropping his hands, he got up and walked over to his Mother. Extending his hand to her, he helped her up to her feet. Leaning toward her, he let her wrap him up in her comforting arms.

--<{()}>--

Smallville High School

"Pete."

Turning on his heel, Pete saw Sam standing at the end of the hall. Looking around first, he jogged up to her. He followed her as she turned around and walked away. Inside a familiar utility closet, Pete expected the usual greeting, but received her hand on his chest instead.

Turning on the light, Sam reached into her pocket and pulled out a simple gold ring. Extending the ring toward Pete, she said, "I wanted to give this back to you."

Taking the ring from her, he asked, "Why? Did your parents find out about us again?"

Shaking her head, she replied, "No. I'm giving this back to you, Pete. I've treasured it and hidden it since you gave to me. Sometimes, I take it out and I remember how you got Lana to slip it to me in those napkins while she was serving me pie. I thought you were so clever."

Pausing, Sam took a moment to breathe deeply before she continued, "I thought we'd beat the odds. I thought we'd be together forever."

Concerned, Pete interrupted Sam by saying, "We will be together forever."

With a sad smile, Sam disagreed, "No, we won't. I've debated this for a long time, Pete, and I've come to the conclusion that we can't work."

"Why?" asked Pete.

In a soft voice, she explained, "Because I saw how you reacted to Clark and Lex. Over the past several weeks, I've seen you turn your back on someone you've been friends with for most of your life because you found out one little thing about him that doesn't really change who he is. I haven't seen any effort on your part to understand how difficult it was for them to reveal what they are to us like that."

Angry, Pete argued, "You're breaking up with me because of them?"

Shaking her head, Sam replied, "No. I'm breaking up with you because if you couldn't understand them, then you'll never understand me."

"What?" asked Pete.

Touching her fingers to his lips, Sam answered, "Don't make this hard. Please."

Stepping away from him, Sam walked over to the closet door. Taking one last look back, she pushed against the door and left Pete behind.

--<{()}>--

Kent Farm

"So, it was like your senses were heightened?" asked Martha as she placed a dish of steaming eggs, hash browns and toast on the table in front of
Clark.

Nodding, Clark explained, "Yeah, I could hear you and Dad down here. It was like you were screaming right my ear, but I know now you were just talking normally. I could feel your heartbeat when you touched me. Also, I could see all the way to Metropolis. It was like I was looking out of my window with my telescope, but it was more than that because none of the buildings between here and there seemed to get in the way. It was like my x-ray vision and this new long-range vision were working in concert."

Sitting down beside her son, Martha inquired, "Do you know how you stopped it?"

Shaking his head, Clark whispered, "No. When I woke up, everything was back to normal, but I know after all the other powers that it's going to happen again. I just don't know when that'll be."

Placing a reassuring hand on Clark's arm, Martha said, "I guess this is just another power you're going to have to learn to live with. Just like your strength and speed and x-ray and heat vision, you'll learn to control it. You'll see, in time, this will just become another part of who you are."

Placing his hand over hers, Clark smiled. "Thanks, Mom. I needed to hear that."

--<{()}>--

Fourth Period - Home Economics Class
Smallville High School

Curiously, Chloe watched as Lana sprayed a spot on the counter with some liquid cleanser then wiped it off with a towel for the fourth time in a row. The first couple of times, Chloe thought there was a stain she wasn't seeing. The third and fourth time, she stared at Lana's vacant face and pondered what was going on. By the fifth time, she just wondered what she should do to stop the constant movement. As Lana poised the spray bottle for another dose, Chloe reached out and grabbed the bottle. Chloe waited until Lana was looking back at her before she asked, "Do want to talk about it?"

Realizing what she'd done, Lana placed the bottle and washcloth on the counter. Leaning over the counter, Lana looked Chloe in the eye and whispered, "Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course," replied Chloe as she leaned toward Lana.

Looking from one side to the other, Lana nervously turned back to Chloe and confessed, "I think I might be pregnant."

Wide-eyed, Chloe paused for a second. Then, she blinked just before coughing. Patting her chest, she squeaked, "By whom?"

Narrowing her eyes, Lana replied, "Whitney, of course."

Nodding, Chloe coughed one more time. "Of course. What are you going to do, Lana?"

"I don't know," answered Lana.

"Are you sure you're pregnant and not just late?" asked Chloe.

As a response, Lana replied with a shake of the head.

Reaching across the counter, Chloe grasped Lana's hand and promised, "Don't you worry, Lana. I know what to do. Meet me at my place after school, okay?"

Squeezing Chloe's hand, Lana nodded. "Sure and thanks, Chloe."

--<{()}>--

Kent Farm

"Mom, I'm experiencing overly sensitive senses, not the chills," noted Clark as Martha dragged a comforter over his body and proceeded to tuck the soft blanket around his legs.

Standing up straight, Martha placed her hands on her hips. Looking down at her son, she flashed a playful scowl as she lightly brushed her hand across his hair. "Hush you."

"Aww Mom." Quickly, Clark combed his hair with his fingers.

Laughing quietly, Martha picked up the remote control and handed it to Clark, "Here. Watch some TV while I go work on the Cole's Valentine Order."

Martha never made it to the kitchen. As the remote left her hand, a knock sounded. Swiftly, Martha motioned for Clark to stay on the sofa as she answered the front door. Opening the door, Martha found Sarah Cole. Opening the door wide, Martha said, "Sarah, what a pleasant surprise. Come in."

Nodding politely, Sarah crossed the threshold. She never took her eyes off Martha as she said, "I'm so sorry to bug you at this hour, Martha. I just needed to discuss-"

Stepping further into the Kent's living room, Sarah finally looked forward. Looking at Clark, she fell instantly silent. In fact, she stumbled forward, but corrected herself with ease a moment later. Behind her, Martha noted Sarah's reaction curiously as she said, "Sarah, this is my son, Clark. He's home sick from school today. Why don't we speak in the kitchen?"

Shaking her head, Sarah introduced herself, "It's very nice to meet you, Clark."

Still holding a slight grudge for what happened last New Year's, Clark eyed her suspiciously as he replied, "Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Cole."

Walking toward the kitchen, Sarah said, "Please, call me Sarah," as she left the room.

Once in the kitchen, Sarah whispered to Martha, "Did you take the advice I gave you?"

Glancing in Clark's direction, Martha answered, "No, I couldn't do it. He's my son, not my possession. I can't make every decision for him."

"But yours is the voice of experience. Surely, he will do as you say," argued Sarah.

Shaking her head, Martha sat at the kitchen table. Once Sarah was also seated, Martha replied, "He'll just run and I'll never see him again. Trust me, Sarah. I know what I'm talking about."

Sitting back, Sarah asked, "Has he run away before?"

Sadly, Martha answered, "No. I know because when I became engaged to Jonathan, my Father objected. He made so much noise that Jonathan and I eloped one night and I've only seen him but three times in the past twenty years. I don't want that kind of relationship between myself and Clark."

Nodding, Sarah let the matter drop and turned to matters of business.

Unbeknownst to Martha and Sarah, Clark over heard their entire conversation. It didn't start on purpose. One moment, he was pointing the remote control at the TV. The next, he was clutching his ears as the two feminine voices struck at him like pins poking him directly in the brain.

Straining to control his new ability, Clark honed in on their voices until their hushed tones were shouts. Wincing from the pain, Clark strained against the noise. At first, he couldn't control it and feared what he'd do in front of company. Then, their voices were once again too soft to hear. Unwilling to continue on at the whim of this new power, Clark focused on the inner muscles of his ears. Slowly, he began to learn how to regulate the sound. In the end, he heard Martha's final statement and frowned.

'I always wondered why we didn't see Grandpa more often," mused Clark as he continued to eavesdrop. Clark found the next several minutes extremely boring as concepts of monthly figures and price per product filled his ears. Finally, he couldn't stand it anymore. As helpful as this was to his ability to control his powers, if he had to hear one more word about pie, he was going to scream. Turning on the TV, Clark checked out daytime programming.

About half an hour after she arrived, Sarah left the Kent residence. Once her car was long gone, Clark went over to his Mom and asked, "Mom, would it be okay if I went to visit Lex for a while?"

Concerned, Martha replied, "I don't know, Clark. You just started with this new power this morning. What if it manifests while you're with Lex?"

Biting his lip, Clark answered, "It's just like every other power I've ever had, right? I'll get used to it."

Hearing her words echoed at her, Martha crossed her arms across her chest. Seeing his Mother's grim expression, Clark took one final stab at it. "I can't hide in here forever."

As he spoke, Martha's eyes softened. Nodding as she looked at the ground, Martha said, "Okay, but remember your curfew."

Hugging his Mom, Clark promised he would.

--<{()}>--

After School
Sullivan Residence

Nervously, Lana knocked on the door. Looking from side to side, she rushed indoors as soon as Chloe cracked the door open. Stopping in the middle of the living room, she shrugged her coat off before she turned around. She eyed Chloe cautiously as she asked, "So, did you get everything ready?"

Nodding sympathetically, Chloe walked up to Lana. Sliding an arm around Lana's waist, Chloe guided Lana to the bathroom. On the sink, a pregnancy test waited next to an old, clean salsa jar. Chloe noted the fear in Lana's eyes. Letting go of her, Chloe walked up to the sink. Picking up the jar, she instructed, "Piss in the jar. Then, you open up the test and put it the jar for five seconds. Five seconds - Remember that. It's very important. Then, place the test on the sink with the little windows facing up and come to the living room."

Studying Lana's pale face, Chloe half-expected Lana to pass out. Instead, Lana squared her shoulders and entered the bathroom. Flashing a weak smile at Lana, Chloe backed out of the room, closing the door behind her.

A couple minutes later, Lana came out of the bathroom. In the living room, she found Chloe sitting across from the sofa within eyeshot of her Father's grandfather clock. Sitting Indian style, Chloe twisted around when she heard Lana enter the room. Patting the carpet in front of her, Chloe waited as Lana walked around her before saying, "I bought something to take the edge off."

Sitting Indian style across from Chloe, Lana scooted forward until her knees touched Chloe's. Reaching out, Lana eagerly grasped onto the large spoon and dug into the pint of Ben & Jerry's Double Fudge Brownie. Licking the chocolate off the spoon, Lana sighed, "Man, did I ever need that."

Holding her own spoon, Chloe scooped out a bite as she said, "So, I'm assuming this happened over Thanksgiving."

Nodding, Lana wrapped her hand around the carton and lunged for another spoonful. "It was Thanksgiving day exactly. The news just finished reporting about the attack in San Diego."

Cocking her head to the side, Chloe asked, "So, what happened? Did you find some love for him that you hadn't before?"

Looking down, Lana shoved the spoon in her mouth. After savoring the creamy goodness, Lana lowered the spoon and replied, "I went to help him pack. The next thing I knew, he was talking about fighting and dying. He said he was willing to die for me. He said he loved me, then he kissed me. I didn't go to his room expecting to have sex with him. I just wanted to help."

Frowning, Chloe polished off another spoon as she glanced at the clock. Noting the time, Chloe looked back at Lana and inquired, "Do you know what you're going to do about it?"

"I haven't really thought that far ahead," admitted Lana.

Rubbing Lana on the knee, Chloe got up on her feet. Standing up, Chloe turned and left the room. When she returned, she was holding the test in
her hands.

--<{()}>--

Luthor Castle

"You smell good. What do you call that?" asked Clark as he eyed Lex's half-nude body.

Startled, Lex almost cut himself shaving. Placing the razor on the countertop, he picked up a hand towel and wiped off his face. Tossing the terry cloth into the sink, he adjusted his slacks before grabbing for his business shirt off the hook on the wall. Pulling on the shirt, Lex let the garment hang
open as he picked up the bottle on the counter and tossed it at Clark. "Xeryus."

Sniffing at the air, Clark felt his new abilities engage. Suddenly he was engulfed by the scent. Caught in a haze, he leaned back, missing the bottle. Cringing from the sharp sound of the bottle crashing on the bathroom tile, Clark struggled to control his powers. Clutching at the doorjamb, Clark swayed a bit from the assault of his heightened senses. He tried to concentrate, but there was just too much, too many sensations to control them
all. He searched for a way to focus when Lex touched his shoulder.

Suddenly, Clark found his focal point. He could feel Lex's heat radiating through his t-shirt and he centered in on the way Lex's fingers pressed against his muscle and bone. Finally, Clark found clarity of thought and the severity of the powers subsided. Opening his clenched shut eyelids, Clark saw the concern on Lex's face. Reaching out he palmed Lex's cheek and marveled at the intricacies of each minute curve in every inch of skin.

Stepping forward, Clark leaned down and kissed Lex's still lips. The taste of the man flooded Clark's mouth and he yearned for more. Pressing harder, Clark sighed when he felt Lex's tongue enter into his mouth. Wrapping his arms around Lex, Clark gasped at the feeling of Lex's entire body as it pushed against his own. Light-headed, Clark swayed a bit, but came back to his senses as Lex started to guide Clark to the king size bed across the room.

When his calves bumped against the frame of the bed, Clark jumped. Lex's intention was clear and Clark felt no reason to stand in the way of it. His lips never left Lex's as he fell back on the bed slowly, dragging Lex with him. Rolling onto his back, Clark gasped again as Lex settled between his thighs, pressing their erections together.

Pausing for a moment, Clark played his powers, allowing Lex's pulse to travel through his body like the loud bass of a stereo. Honing in on Lex, Clark amplified the soft whimpers and moans Lex emitted each time their tongues touched. Engrossed by it all, Clark clung to Lex as they started to rock their hips.

--<{()}>--

Sullivan Residence

Taking the test from Chloe, Lana closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she held the test in front of her and opened her eyes. The negative result made her cry.

Quickly, Chloe was beside her. As tears streamed down Lana's face, Chloe asked, "Lana, what's wrong?"

Wrapping her arms around Chloe, Lana sobbed. "What if this was the last chance?"

Pulling away, Lana looked into Chloe's confused eyes and said, "What if Whitney dies? What if this was the last chance for some part of him to live on?"

Placing her hand on Lana's head, Chloe directed it to her shoulder. Once Lana's forehead pressed against the nape of her neck, Chloe whispered, "I don't think that's a good enough reason to bring a child into this world."

Crying harder, Lana asked, "Isn't it?"

Clutching at Lana, Chloe started to rock slowly. Gently petting Lana's hair, she quietly shared her strength as she stared at the mostly eaten pint of melting ice cream.

--<{()}>--

Luthor Castle

"I love you."

Inhaling sharply, Clark froze. He wasn't sure if he heard what he thought he heard. He'd been honing in on the sound of Lex's breathing as it turned from steady breaths to raspy gasps when he took notice of three little words. Rolling Lex onto his back, Clark pulled away, staring down at Lex. Speechless, he leaned over Lex, surprise apparent on his face.

Grasping onto Clark's arms, Lex asked, "Clark, what's going on? Is something wrong?"

Looking into Lex's eyes, Clark's open mouth closed. Slowly, a smile spread across his face until his teeth showed. Cupping Lex's cheek with his right hand, Clark reveled in every little imperfection as he answered, "Nothing's wrong. Everything's perfect."

Lowering himself down onto Lex, Clark claimed a pair of willing lips. As they wrestled for control, he stroked Lex's scalp and whispered, "Just perfect."

Instantly, Lex rolled them over again. On top, Lex stroked Clark's chest, eliciting the most delicious moans out of him. Slowly, he worked his left hand down to Clark's belt. Pulling at the leather, Lex paused. He felt watched. Suddenly, he heard a cough. Without raising his head to see who it was, Lex ordered, "Get out. Lock the door behind you."

Lex leaned down to recapture Clark's lips when he heard a familiar voice say, "Do you see how he treats me? Now, I ask you - Is that anyway for a son to address his Father?"

Turning his head, Clark swallowed hard at the sight of Lionel Luthor standing in the middle of the doorway. Then, he watched as Lionel stepped aside and made a gesture to someone out in the hall. As the stranger entered the room, Clark felt Lex tense above him. Looking up, Clark saw Lex's frozen expression. Following Lex's line of sight, Clark found himself looking once again at the stranger in a red dress.

With a white scarf wrapped around her joined hands, she took three small steps into the bedroom. No emotion showed on her face, as her eyes never left Lex's. Coming to a stop several feet from them, she nodded once before saying, "Hello, Alex."



Chapter 18: Beware of Lionels Bearing Gifts

Once in a while I'm not myself,
Once in a while, I think you're someone else.
- "99%" performed by Soul Asylum


February 3, 2003
Luthor Castle

"Hello Alex."

"Grace?" asked Lex as he slowly crawled off the bed.

A chill ran through Clark at the loss of Lex's warmth, but mostly he felt numb as he watched Lex approach the mysterious blond. Sitting up, he watched as a smile spread across her face. Quietly, he listened as her sweet voice confirmed

Lex's inquiry, "Yes Alex, it's me."

Gently, Lex wrapped his hands around the scarf Grace gripped tightly. Leaning toward her, Lex looked her directly in the eyes and asked, "How are you?"

Her smile faltering by the slightest degree, Grace replied, "Better."

Finally, Clark found his voice. "Lex, who is this?"

Coolly, Lionel made the introduction, "This is Grace Harcourt. She is Lex's fiance."

"What?" exclaimed Clark.

Without taking his eyes off of Grace, Lex corrected Lionel, "Ex-fiance."

Noting the confusion on Clark's face, Lionel chose this moment to pounce. "Oh dear, did my son forget to mention he'd been engaged. Well, I guess that means he probably hasn't mentioned all the others either."

Trying to get Lex's attention, Clark stood up and walked up behind him. When this failed to get the reaction he desired, Clark turned to Lionel and asked, "What others?"

Smiling, Lionel answered, "All the women Lex has almost married, of course."

Looking back at Lex, Clark said, "How many times have you been engaged?"

Still looking directly at Grace, Lex replied, "Seven times."

"Seven?"

Walking up behind Clark, Lionel said, "Yes, seven. Miss Harcourt was the first. Now, perhaps you should leave."

Sneering at Lionel, Clark turned to Lex and whispered, "Lex?"

Finally breaking away from Grace, Lex looked directly at Clark and answered, "Maybe that would be for the best, Clark. Grace and I have a lot to talk about."

Glancing past Clark, Lex nodded in his Father's direction and said, "Why don't you go, too."

Making a slight bow, Lionel backed out of the room as he replied, "Of course, I can see you have a lot of catching up to do."

Once Lionel was gone, Lex looked back to where Clark was still standing. Lex's eyes softened, but his resolve remained firm. Softly, he said, "I'll call you later, Clark."

Without much hesitation, Clark rushed from the room. Using super-speed, he raced across the fields and down the country roads until he reached home. Once there, his speed never faltered as he entered the living room. Acting on his fury-filled momentum, Clark grabbed a hold of the front door and slammed it shut. It wasn't until splinters hit the back of his head that he realized he used super-strength to do it.

Seated in their favorite armchairs, Jonathan and Martha could only shield themselves from the wood chips flinging through the air. As the sawdust cloud cleared, they saw their son standing before them, a matching expression of shock filling his face. Trying to remain calm, Jonathan inquired, "Son, what are you doing?"

Spinning back and forth from looking at the doorway to his parents, Clark broke. Swinging at the air, Clark yelled, "Damnit! Damn that shriveled up, old man."

A little afraid of what she was hearing, Martha said, "Clark?"

With jerking movements, Clark started to pace as a stream of words left his mouth, "She's there. Right now. She's there and she called him Alex. Alex! I don't get to call him Alex. Oh no. Not me. But she does. Yeah, that's right. She said it twice. In fact, she's probably done it since I left."

Together, Martha and Jonathan asked, "Clark, who are you talking about?"

Motioning in the direction of Lex's castle, Clark answered, "Her. The first of the seven."

Standing up, Martha made her way to the kitchen. On her way, she grabbed Clark by the arm, dragging him along. As they crossed the floor, Martha sighed, "Come on. I'm going to fix some coffee. I have a feeling this is going to take a while."

--<{()}>--

Luthor Castle

"It's a lovely room, Alex. Thank you," said Grace as Lex opened the door to one of the guest quarters.

Lex watched as she walked up to the bed. She looked around the room, still clutching at her scarf. Clearing his throat, he got her attention before he
asked, "Why, Grace?"

"Why do you think?" she replied.

"I never thought you could betray me like this," he countered.

Biting her bottom lip, she argued, "I thought that about you once, long ago. I was wrong and I guess you are, too."

"Is that what this is about? Vengeance?"

Hanging her head, Grace whispered, "No. I never hated you like that, Alex. It's quite simple really. Your Father isn't happy about your romantic choices and my Father owed him a favor. So, here I am."

Nodding, Lex backed away. As he closed the door, she stopped him. "Alex, wait."

Opening the door again, he looked at her. He didn't wait long. With sad eyes, she walked up to him and whispered, "I really am glad to see you again, Alex."

Looking down, Lex took in a deep breath. Before shutting the door, he said, "I just wish our reunion could have been under better circumstances."

Once the door closed, Grace approached the door and sighed, "Me, too."

--<{()}>--

Kent Farm

Slamming his fist against the kitchen table, Jonathan Kent said, "I told you that he was no good. Didn't I say there is no such thing as a good Luthor?
This proves it."

Watching Clark's reaction, Martha saw her son's shoulders droop as his lowered his head. She sensed the cloud of despair clinging to him. As Jonathan raved, she saw Clark flinch as if struck. That was when she said, "Jonathan, please be quiet. You're not helping."

Shocked, Jonathan stared open-mouthed at Martha. For a second there was silence before Jonathan kicked back his chair and stood up. Walking from the room, he mumbled, "I need to patch up this door."

Her eyes drawn back to Clark, Martha placed her hand on his mug and asked, "Would you like another cup?"

Shaking his head, Clark replied, "No."

Leaving the mug in his hands, Martha left the table to refill her own. Returning to the table, she was shocked to hear Clark say, "Maybe Dad is right."

As she sat down, she watched him bury his face in his hands and say, "I don't know. I'm so confused."

Touching his arm again, Martha watched as he drew his gaze up to meet hers before he asked, "What should I do?"

Pressing against the back of her chair, Martha gripped her cup tightly. Shaking her head, Martha looked down as she said, "I couldn't say."

What Martha saw next brought her to the edge of tears. Loneliness filled Clark's features and his shoulders slumped even deeper. Unable to watch Clark endure such pain, Martha placed a firm hand on his arm. When Clark looked at her, Martha drained her coffee cup then said, "Clark, I don't know what's going on with Lex, but I do know that you owe it to the relationship you share with him to give him a chance to explain."

Blinking a few times, Clark nodded slowly as he stood up. Tapping on the table, his nodding lessened more and more until he stood perfectly still. Stepping away from the table, he announced, "I'm going to go to bed."

Nodding, Martha picked up their mugs and walked over to the sink. Just as she placed the mugs in the sink, she felt a pair of strong arms surround her. Closing her eyes, she raised her hands up to grip Clark's forearms. With one last squeeze, she felt him withdraw, but not before he whispered, "Thanks, Mom."

She nodded. She flashed a shaky smile at him as he turned away. Gripping the kitchen counter tightly, she watched him walk away. Once she heard his footfalls on the stairs, she silently congratulated herself on managing to wait that long before she started to cry.

--<{()}>--

The Next Morning
Luthor Castle

"I forgot what an early riser you are," mentioned Lex as he walked into his entertainment room.

Sitting cross-legged on the sofa, Grace looked considerably less refined than she did the night before. Dressed in a mismatched set of pajamas, she reached up to smooth her unruly hair as she replied, "Can't miss the early morning cartoons, Alex. You know that."

Patting the space beside her, she gestured for Lex to sit down. When he remained standing, she stopped moving her hand and said, "I won't bite, y'know."

"Do I? Know that?" replied Lex.

Frowning, Grace sat up straight. Looking at Lex, she asked, "Aren't you even just a little bit glad to see me again?"

Uncrossing his arms, Lex responded by sitting next to Grace. She smiled instantly. Picking up the remote, she turned back to the TV. On the screen, a classic Looney Tunes episode played. As Daffy got his beak shot off, Grace giggled. Leaning back, she continued to watch the TV as she said, "Do you remember when we were six and we were determined to be called Bugs and Daffy?"

Stifling a run of laughter, Lex replied, "Yes. I also remember how we decided that my Father's limo driver resembled Elmer Fudd and should be treated accordingly."

Bringing her hands up to her face, Grace smothered a streak of loud laughter. Tomato red, Grace recalled, "I remember we used to get in so much trouble for the things we did to that poor man. I can hear your Mother, now."

Sitting up poker straight, Grace waved her index finger back and forth as she said with a slight Scottish brogue, "Alexander Luthor, what have I told you about dropping water balloons on nice Mr. Andrews head? What have I told you, young man?"

Falling back on the sofa, Grace slid to the left until she reached Lex. Looking up at him, Grace tried in vain to swallow her laughter. Seeing his smile, Grace let go of a held breath. Looking back at the cartoon, she asked, "Whatever happened to nice Mr. Andrews anyway?"

"Don't you remember?" asked Lex. Looking down, he watched Grace shake her head before he explained, "He quit when we were eleven after an incident involving a gallon of red paint, a pound of chopped up fish guts and a can of shaving cream broke the camel's back."

Giggling again, Grace's hand fluttered up to her lips as she said, "Oh yeah. Now, I remember."

"It took a year for my Father to hire a permanent replacement," commented Lex.

Suddenly sober, Grace frowned as she asked, "Nelson?"

In response, Lex nodded.

Resting her head on Lex's shoulder, Grace stretched out beside him as she whispered, "I'm sorry."

Looking down at Grace, Lex didn't say anything. Searching her eyes, he found the friend he'd missed all these years. Reaching up, he ran a finger down her cheek. Relaxing against the sofa, they were still looking into each other's eyes when Clark entered the room.

Part 19: Burning Secrets and Smoldering Doubts

Is he deceiving me?
Or, am I deceiving myself?

- "Does He Love You?" Performed by Reba McEntire and Linda Davis

February 4, 2003
Luthor Castle

"Ahem."

Simultaneously, Lex and Grace looked at Clark. Grace grinned at Clark in the second that passed before Lex shoved her away. Pouting slightly, Grace followed Lex as he walked over to Clark, leading him from the room.

Outside the entertainment room, Lex managed to get Clark all the way to staircase before pulling him into a firm embrace. He noted the tension in Clark's body. Pulling away, Lex looked up at Clark's confused face. Taking Clark by the hand, he led Clark up to his bedroom.

Inside his bedroom, Lex closed the door. Patiently, he waited for Clark to sit down on the bed. Finally, he crossed the room as he explained, "Nothing is going on."

Clark looked less than convinced as he asked, "Why is she here?"

"My Father wants her to be here," replied Lex.

When confusion filled Clark's face, Lex explained, "This castle doesn't belong to me, Clark. It belongs to my Father. It belongs to LuthorCorp. If my Father wants her here, I can't say no."

"And what about downstairs?" Clark inquired.

"What? On the couch?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yes, on the couch."

Sighing loudly, Lex sat down beside Clark. He looked down at his hands, examining his cuticles. Finally, he returned Clark's gaze and said, "She's a very old friend, Clark. I won't lie to you. There's a part of me that's very happy to see her. Especially in such good health."

"You almost married her," Clark observed.

"Well, as my Father told you, I've almost married a lot of women. But Grace.Grace is like Pete. She was my first friend. We were in playgroup together. I've known her my whole life, but we.parted and went our separate ways. We haven't seen or heard from each other in nearly six years."

"Why?" asked Clark.

Shifting his eyes about the room, Lex stuttered, "We had our reasons - nothing really important. What it comes down to is that she's not a bad person, Clark. She's not a threat. She doesn't want to be here. Her Father sent her here. So, she roams the halls a little. Big deal. I'd still much rather be with you."

Smiling, Clark wrapped an arm around Lex's waist. Pulling him closer, Clark whispered, "Okay."

Lovingly, Lex placed fingers on Clark's cheeks. Slowly, his fingers inched back until they combed through Clark's thick hair. Tugging gently, Lex leaned in and kissed Clark. Their lips lingered before finally drawing apart. Embracing Clark, Lex whispered, "So, see? No worries."

--<{()}>--

February 14, 2003
Talon Cafe

"So, I take it she's still there," said Lana as she looked at Clark's frown.

"Yeah, she's still there. Y'know, he's bringing her to the Governor's party tonight?" asked Clark as he gratefully took the cup of coffee Lana placed in front of him.

Lana picked up a towel and started cleaning the counter. "You don't say. Did he give some reason for this?"

"Yeah," replied Clark as he sipped from his coffee. "He says he doesn't want to leave her at the castle all by herself. He says he's only doing it to keep an eye on her. Besides, he says we can't dance together because it's a public party and we're not out-out yet."

Sighing loudly, Lana observed, "He could be telling the truth, but still that's harsh. She's going to be on his arm. She's going to want to dance with him. What are you supposed to be doing while this is happening?"

Looking down at his coffee, Clark stared at the swirls of cream in the dark liquid before bringing his eyes back to Lana's. "Will you go to the party with me?"

Quickly, Clark saw Lana's reluctance and continued, "It's going to be full of boring businessmen and politicians. At least, if you go to the party with me, I'll have one friend there."

Cocking her head to the side and arching a brow, Lana replied, "It's kind of short notice, but I do have a dress I never got to use at the spring formal last year."

Smiling, Clark said, "Thanks Lana."

Smiling back at Clark, Lana whispered, "What are friends for?"

--<{()}>--

That Night
Metropolis, Kansas
Luthor Tower

Luthor Tower glittered. In Clark's mind, he wasn't quite sure if it was due to the decorative lighting or the paparazzi with their flashing cameras. In awe, he stared out the window at the brilliance of it all until Grace asked, "Have you never been to a gala before?"

Looking back at Grace, Clark shifted in his seat, as he replied, "Aren't too many 'galas' like this in Smallville."

"No, I suppose not," sighed Grace as she leaned back against the limo's plush cushions.

Beside her, Lana made a face to get Clark's attention. A second later, she motioned at Grace and then rolled her eyes. Clark barely contained his laughter and was grateful for the distraction when the curbside greeter opened the car door.

First, Grace and Lex exited the vehicle amidst a wave of flashing lights. Then, Lana and Clark exited the vehicle earning far less attention. Shrugging, they hurried after Lex and Grace who were already advancing down the red carpet. At the door, Lex didn't need to state his name as he waved his hand toward Clark and Lana. The doorman nodded and held the door open for all of them. Once inside, Clark's head began to spin as he tilted it back to take in the gigantic crystal chandelier hanging above the dance floor.

A nudge to his shoulder finally got his attention. Looking at the source, Clark found Lex smiling back at him. They enjoyed an enchanted moment before a stout man walked up to them and said, "Mr. Luthor, I'm so glad you could make it to my party."

Turning toward the voice, Lex flashed a brilliant smile. Bowing slightly, he glanced at the frigid woman hanging onto the stout man who offered a plastic smile as he replied, "Governor, it is my pleasure."

Glancing at Lex's guests, the Governor asked, "Who did you bring with you?"

Making the necessary introductions, Lex said, "This is Clark Kent, Lana Lang and."

Stepping forward, Grace didn't give Lex a chance to finish. Instead, she extended her hand and introduced herself. "Grace Harcourt, Mr. Luthor's fiance."

Clark and Lana's mouth fell open. Angry, Clark narrowed his eyes, fighting off a growl as Grace exchanged handshakes with the Governor and started chatting with his wife. Glancing at Lex, Clark was slightly comforted by the fact that, just beneath his mask, Lex bore a touch of shock. Cordially, Lex ended the conversation. Smiling and patting Grace's hand on his arm, Lex said, "Well, we mustn't keep you from your guests, but we'll speak again before the end of the evening."

Nodding, the Governor and his wife walked away. Quietly, Lex did the same, practically dragging Grace with him. He shot her a withering look, but she shook it off and simply smiled back at him. They didn't get two feet away before another man and his wife walked up to them. "Lex Luthor, nice to see you again."

Tucking his hand in his jacket pocket, Lex replied, "Roger , you seem to be in good spirits."

Nodding, Roger glanced hungrily at Grace and asked, "Who is your lovely companion?"

Once again, Grace answered before Lex had a chance, "Grace Harcourt, Lex's fiance."

Shocked, the couple took a step back before Roger said, "I wasn't aware that someone had managed to tie you down, Lex, but you couldn't have picked a more beautiful captor."

As Grace began to chat with Roger's wife, Clark turned every shade of red. He felt his eyes start to burn when a hand on his arm distracted him. Looking down, he saw Lana. She stared back at him with sadness and shared pain in her eyes. He watched her glance back at the spectacle called Grace and frown. Then, he followed her as she pulled him away.

Once they were far enough away, Lana whispered to Clark, "It's just an act, Clark. I'm sure Lex doesn't mean it."

Nodding, Clark crossed his arms while he said, "I guess. I just hate seeing her all over him like that."

Patting Clark's arm sympathetically, Lana stepped closer and whispered, "Then, close your eyes."

Confused, Clark frowned. Raising a hand to his objection, Lana said, "You're not out. It's not public and Lex has to do this to keep up appearances. Since you're too young for your relationship to go public, you are left with only too choices - Look away or walk away."

Clark stood perfectly still for a moment before nodding. Mimicking Clark's nodding head, Lana took him by the hand and pulled him away from Lex and the painful sight of Grace by his side.

--<{()}>--

Several Introductions Later

It took some time, but Lex finally managed to tear Grace away from the heart of the party. To a lonely balcony, he led her with all the speed and force he could display without attracting attention. Once there, he threw her off his arm as he asked, "What the hell was all that?"

With a show of mock innocence, Grace replied, "What was that?"

Crossing his arms over his chest, Lex answered, "Yes, that."

"Mingling, of course," replied Grace. "Surely, that is why I'm here. To deflect attention away from the boy you'd rather have beside you. Trust me - No one out there thinks you're gay now."

"Don't play with me Grace. I didn't ask you to do that and you know it," said Lex.

"Do I? Why am I here, Alex. Surely, you don't think I'd go through your files," asked Grace.

Shaking his head, Lex said, "No, I didn't think that. You're right. I needed a cover. It wouldn't do for me to be seen alone with Clark on such a social occasion. I did need a distraction for the paparazzi, but I didn't expect you to take on the role with such vigor."

Quietly, Grace stepped away from Lex. Looking out at the dance floor, she sighed, "It felt like old times. I fell back into it so easily and suddenly it felt so natural to say I was your fiance."

Glancing over her shoulder, Grace apologized, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. That wasn't my intention."

Silently, Grace turned back towards the dance floor. Songs changed and a haunting tune filled the air. Softly whispering, Grace said, "Do you remember this song?"

Sighing, Lex replied, "Yes."

"It was at your commencement ball. We were sixteen years old."

"I was the king of the ball."

"I was your queen and this was our song."

Surprised, Grace jumped when she felt Lex's hand on her shoulder. Smiling broadly, she looked out at the people on the dance floor once more before spinning around and grabbing his hands. Pulling at him, she cried, "Dance with me. Like you did that night."

Pulling away, Lex said, "I don't know, Grace."

"Oh come on, Alex. Just this once. For me. Please."

Lex thought it over before finally nodding a couple times and opening his arms. Grace placed her left hand on his shoulder before leaning her chest against his. Slowly, they rocked back and forth. Their rights hands met and clutched onto one another as the rocking slowed. Looking into each other's eyes, they moved without thinking, their lips drawing closer and closer.

Lex broke away first. Looking away, he bit his lip as he felt her place her head on his shoulder. Calmed by the way Grace massaged his shoulder, Lex closed his eyes as he rested his cheek against the top of her head.

--<{()}>--

It took a few minutes before Clark realized that he didn't see Lex anymore. Making some discreet inquiries, Clark learned that Lex and Grace went to a secluded balcony. As the last person he asked pointed at the balcony in question, Clark looked in that direction and saw movement. Quickly, he walked toward the balcony. Eager to see Lex, he wasn't prepared for the sight that welcomed him.

Silently, Clark watched them dance. He noted how nothing, not even air, existed between them as they moved in half-circles. Shaking his head, Clark felt his eyes start to burn again. The burning grew until he was forced to look away. Turning back to the main hall, Clark stumbled away from the balcony. When he finally reached the dance floor, he managed to open his stinging eyes.

Across the room, he saw Lana getting some hors d'oeuvres. Crossing the room, he didn't speak, not even to apologize when he pushed several people out of the way. By the time, he got to Lana, she was staring at him strangely. He stopped right in front of her, but didn't say anything. Instead, Lana stepped forward and asked, "Clark, what's wrong?"

"It's not just an act," he replied.

"What's not just an act?"

"Them. Lex and Grace. I'm so stupid. I can't believe I didn't see it."

Shaking her head, Lana said, "Wait. Why don't you explain what this is all about. Start from the beginning."

Taking a deep breath, he told Lana everything he saw. Just when Lana was going to console him, two large men wearing black tuxedos approached Clark from behind. They placed their hands on Clark's shoulders and said, "Can you come with us?"

Turning around, Clark shrugged the hands off his shoulders and asked, "Why?"

Looking from side to side, the two men continued, "Don't make a disturbance, sir. We don't want to cause a scene."

Clark appeared fit to fight, but a hand on his arm made him pause. Looking down, he saw Lana. Softly, she said, "Just go peacefully, Clark. I'll follow."

Nodding, Clark agreed and headed for the front doors with the two men following close behind. Lana watched him slowly disappear from sight before looking at the far balcony. Narrowing her eyes, Lana marched across the dance floor. Reaching the balcony, the song ended and she watched as Grace and Lex stepped away from each other. Rushing into the room, Lana walked right up to Lex and pushed him hard. Stumbling backwards, Lex stared at Lana with equal parts confusion and anger. "What the hell?

Standing tall, Lana said, "What the hell, indeed? So this is how you treat Clark? This is how much he means to you?"

Straightening out his coat, Lex replied, "Look, I don't know what you think you saw, but-"

"Not what I saw, Lex. What Clark saw."

His eyes growing bigger, Lex asked, "Where is he now?"

Rolling her eyes, Lana tucked her hair behind her ear as she answered, "Being escorted out by security."

"What? What happened? Why didn't you say that sooner?"

Tipping her head to the side, she replied, "Because that would have given you a chance to run after him and save the day."

Shaking his head, Lex walked up to Lana, his intent unclear. As he opened his mouth to speak, Lana interrupted him, "Save it. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear any of your pathetic excuses."

Stepping back, Lana said, "It's so unfair. You get to have him."

Lana watched as understanding dawned on Lex's face before stepping out of the balcony.

Hurrying out of the building, she stopped when she came to the taxi stop. Looking from side to side, Lana wondered how much a bus ticket from Metropolis to Smallville would cost when a weak voice called out from down the street. Seated on a bus stop bench, Clark motioned for her to come closer.

Walking over to him, she sat beside him. Slowly, she asked, "What do you want to do now?"

Sitting back, Clark sighed, "Go home, but I can't. I don't want to explain this to my parents."

Gently, Lana patted his knee as she offered, "Then come to the Talon. We'll play scrabble or something until it's time for you to go home."

"I'd like that," he answered.

Standing up, Clark commented, "I don't think they'll give us the limo."

"That's fine. You have other ways to get us home, don't you?" asked Lana.

Smiling, Clark wrapped his arm around Lana's waist before scooping her up. "Hang on tight."

Draping her arms around his neck and shoulders, she whispered, "You don't have to tell me twice."

A moment later, they were gone and only a lingering lilt of laughter remained.

Several Hours Later

The limo sailed down route 90. Inside the car, an eerie silence hung in the air. A quiet hour of tension was enough for Grace. Sighing loudly, she garnered angry looks. Sitting forward, she looked at Lex and said, "Surely, you realize that this was inevitable. If it hadn't been on that balcony, it would have been elsewhere. We wouldn't have been able to keep off the dance floor forever. He would have seen us together anyway."

Cocking an eyebrow, Lex inquired, "And your point is?"

Looking down at the floor of the limo, she continued, "He's a boy, Alex. He gets jealous. Maybe someday he'll be able to handle it, but for now, it just upsets him."

Rolling his head back, Lex sighed, "Tell me something I don't know."

"Okay," said Grace, "You haven't realized yet that this is going to be your life. You will attend parties with girls and Clark will be somewhere waiting for you. Your life is a lie and you haven't come to terms with it yet."

"That's not true."

"Isn't it? Tell me, Alex. Are you going to come out? Are you going to tell the public at large that the leader of one of the largest companies in this country is gay? Do you really think you can get away with that?"

In response, he didn't say a word. Carefully, Grace crossed over to his side of the limo. Running her hand up and down his chest, she said, "There is another solution. You could marry me."

Shocked, Lex pushed Grace away. "What?"

"I could be a good wife, Alex. There's a lot of pain between us, but there's a lot of love, too. I can be a good wife and I'd rather be a good wife to you than to some strange man who offers my Father a price he thinks is appropriate."

She watched Lex shake his head as she continued, "You could have Clark, too. I wouldn't stand in your way."

In disbelief, Lex asked, "Grace, what is this all about? I thought you said this was all your Father's idea. You promised me that you had no part in this."

Nodding, Grace replied, "I don't have any part in this, but why fight it. Understand Alex. I haven't been a nun while you were gone. I found love, too, but I couldn't keep mine. I would give you a way to keep yours. If we get married, your Father will leave you alone. So long as you're discreet, no one will ever need to know that our marriage is a sham."

"Why are you doing this to yourself? If you have someone else to go to, then go. Be with that person. Be happy."

Tossing her hair, Grace laughed airily, "You don't get, do you? Not all of us are like you. We don't all have Mothers who died and left us money and corporations. Some of us have to do as we're told or we lose everything we have left. So what do you say, Alex, will you marry me?"

--<{()}>--

At About The Same Time
Smallville, Kansas
Talon Cafe

Carefully, she poured two cups of coffee. Placing the coffee pot on the warmer, she picked up the cups and carried them over to the table where her visitor waited. Handing him a cup, she sat down without saying a word. Sipping her coffee, she watched him cradle his cup. For several seconds, she followed the sliding liquid as he rocked the cup from side to side. Finally, Lana broke the silence, "I didn't prepare that coffee for it to just go cold."

Taking a big gulp of coffee, Clark let it warm him as he slowly swallowed. "I just don't know what to do, Lana."

Looking down at her coffee, she said, "Clark, maybe you need to face that there's too much between them to be set aside. They almost got married once. Maybe, they still love each other."

Quickly, he objected, "Lex loves me. I know he does. "

"How can you be so sure?"

Looking Lana in the eyes, Clark replied, "I heard him say it."

Wide eyed, Lana sat straight up and exclaimed, "What? When?"

"A couple weeks ago," answered Clark. Shifting uncomfortably, he admitted, "He didn't know I heard it. I have a new set of powers - Super senses. I can hear and see things that other people can't. I was trying them out and I heard him say it.

Pausing for a moment, Lana asked, "Do you love him too?"

Tipping back his cup, Clark drank all the coffee. Swallowing hard, he coughed before saying, "Yeah, I do."

Placing her cup on the table, Lana said, "Well, I guess that complicates things."

--<{()}>--

March 2, 2003
Kent farm

Lex barely made his way up to the top of the landing when he heard Clark say, "It took you long enough to come around."

Making no excuses, Lex crossed the loft. Never taking his eyes off of his goal, he stopped once he reached the couch. Looking down at Clark, he said, "You had some thinking to do. So did I."

"Lana said you might," mentioned Clark as he stood up.

"I wouldn't trust everything Miss Lang has to say, Clark. She obviously has her own agenda."

Laughing under his breath, Clark said, "Is that so?"

Standing close to Clark, Lex explained, "There were things she said to me at the ball. I think she would love to have you for herself."

Cocking his head to the side, Clark asked, "Are you for real?"

Shaking his head, Clark walked over to the open loft doors that doubled as a window. He laughed as he said, "A lot of things happened at that ball. I watched you and your ex being a little more than just acquaintances. Yet, I get the accusations. This is just too much."

Stuffing his hands into his pockets, Lex replied, "I'm not accusing you of anything. Besides, what happened at the ball, I can explain that."

Turning around, Clark smiled. Quickly, he walked over to the sofa and sat down. Crossing his arms behind his head, he said, "I can't wait to hear this."

Taking a deep breath, Lex said, "I took Grace onto the balcony to find out what was going on with her saying she was my fiance. While we were out there, a song came on that we used to dance to. So, for old times sake we danced again. All you saw was us reliving an old memory."

"That's all?" asked Clark.

"Absolutely," swore Lex.

Sitting forward, Clark asked, "Do you think I'm stupid or something? This isn't the first time I've walked in on you two."

"Both times were completely innocent," argued Lex.

"The first time, at the castle, you told me that Grace wasn't a threat. I believed you."

Nodding, Lex said, "Yes, you did and you should go on doing so. Grace did some things I didn't approve of and I've spoken to her about them."

Looking up, Clark replied, "It isn't Grace who makes things a lot more complicated around here."

A scowl appeared on Lex's face as he growled, "This doesn't sound like you, Clark. Did Lana tell you this?"

Laughing sadly, Clark said, "Lana again?"

Sitting back against the sofa, Clark asked, "Didn't you say Grace is not a threat?"

After a silent pause, Lex answered, "Yes."

"Then Lana is just like Grace - Not a threat. Let's leave it at that."

Nodding, Lex agreed, "Fine."

Silence surrounded them until Clark finally asked, "When you got here you said that you had a lot of thinking to do."

Nodding, Lex answered, "Yes. I've had some.proposals to consider."

Looking up, Clark asked, "Really, have you come to any decisions?"

Slowly, Lex unbuttoned his coat and sat down beside Clark. With his elbows on his thighs, he turned to look at Clark, as he admitted, "No."

Licking his lips, Lex continued, "I know I'm not the only one with decisions to make. So, how about you? Have you come to any decisions lately?"

Resting against the sofa back, Clark sighed, "Yeah. I have."

"What have you decided?" Lex whispered.

"I spent a lot of time thinking about us, Lex. Suddenly, it dawned on me that there is an 'us.' We've had chances to walk away from each other before and we haven't. Now, we have one more chance and I've decided that there is only one thing I can do."

Wide-eyed, Lex asked, "What is that, Clark?"

"Not walk away. Someone once told me that one should fight a little before deciding to throw anything important away."

Turning toward Clark, Lex smiled as he asked, "Someone told you that, huh?"

Clark turned toward Lex and answered, "Yeah. Look, I haven't walked away before. I'm not walking away this time either."

Shaking slightly, Lex asked, "Clark, are you sure?"

Smiling widely, Clark answered, "Yeah. I'm not prepared to let you go right now."

"Clark," said Lex. 'You're so much better than I deserve.' Holding Clark's head with both hands, Lex stared straight into his eyes until finally leaning forward and placing a kiss on his lips.

--<{()}>--

Nearly An Hour Later

With a smile, Lex slid into his car. He stared at Clark as he revved up the engine. Standing on the country road that led to his parent's farm, Clark looked so edible with his tousled hair and his slightly swollen lips. Carefully, Lex adjusted his unusually tight pants as he slipped the transmission into gear and drove away.

At the sight of the castle, his smile stayed. It wasn't until he finished parking his car and actually entered the stone fortress that he found nothing to smile about. As he walked in the door, Sheila took his coat. They walked through the halls to his office all the while discussing the day's business. Sheila opened the office doors and waited for my boss to enter. When he didn't, she looked at what stopped him in his tracks. In front of the open doors stood Grace as if she'd waited patiently by the door.

Slowly, Lex entered the office. He quickly dismissed Sheila who closed the office doors on her way out. Taking a deep breath, Lex declared, "I just can't do it, Grace. He means too much to me."

As her proud shoulders slumped, Grace replied, "Okay Alex, have it your way. I'll pack. I'll be gone by morning."

As she passed by him, Lex said anxiously, "What's going to happen to you?"

Smiling sadly at Lex, Grace paused and answered, "Move on to the next man my Father has in mind. The next one may not be so reluctant. Who knows? You may hear of my impending nuptials by next year."

She took a step forward, but stopped again when she heard Lex say, "Grace, wait.

Turning back to him, she looked directly into his eyes as he said, "Stay for as long as you like. There's no need to rush back to a life you don't want."

Bowing her head, Grace said, "You don't have to do this, Alex."

Shaking his head, Lex disagreed, "Truth is, I owe you a lot more than this, Grace."

Looking up at Lex, Grace smiled tightly and agreed, "Okay Alex, I'll stay."

--<{()}>--

March 5, 2003
Luthor Castle

Sipping on tea, Grace sat reading the Daily Planet. She was on page three of the society page when suddenly the paper was ripped out of her hands. For a moment she growled until she saw who was standing in front of her - Lionel Luthor. Blinking quickly, Grace sat up straight. Swallowing hard, she watched as he turned the paper around and looked at what she was reading.

"Checking the menu for your next meal?" Lionel asked as he closed the paper and folded it under his arm.

"No. Just keeping up with old friends," replied Grace.

"Indeed." Sitting across from Grace, Lionel looked directly at her and said, "I've heard the most disturbing news. It appears you have failed in your attempts to separate my son from that Kansas farm boy."

Quickly, she argued, "It's complicated. It's not easy being friend and vamp all at the same time."

"Miss Harcourt, you do remember how important it is for you to be successful, don't you?"

"Of course, but I'm doing all I can. You've got to give me more time."

"Time is a luxury meant for men with a better business sense than your Father. Time is running out, Miss Harcourt. I want to see results soon."

His final words hanging in the air, Lionel stood up and left the room. As the door closed behind him, Grace slumped down into her pillows, struggling to breathe.

--<{()}>--

March 8, 2003
Luthor Castle

Grace met Clark in the foyer. Smiling sweetly, she told Clark that Lex was in an important meeting and said for him to wait for him in Lex's bedroom. Clark thanked her and headed up the stairs.

Confidently, Clark walked into Lex's bedroom. Curious, he walked over to the unmade bed and picked up the robe draped across the footboard. Holding it out, Clark read the monogrammed initials - "GH." With suspicion, he turned toward the bedroom door and watched Lex enter the room. Still holding onto the robe, Clark slowly crossed his arms as Lex caught sight of the robe that Grace loaned to him when the maid couldn't locate his personal robe last night and said, "I can explain."

--<{()}>--

March 12, 2003
Talon Cafe

Laughing loudly, Lex and Clark sat side by side. Chloe and Justin were settled on a couch a few feet away. Lana came and went as she balanced her management duties with her wish to be amongst friends. Two rounds of caffeine laced drinks under their belts, the gang placed their orders for a third round when Grace arrived.

She looked only at Lex and said, "Alex? I didn't know you'd be here, tonight,"

Unexpected and unwanted, Grace did not let the shock and disdain directed at her deter her in the least. Pulling a chair over, she insinuated herself into the group by sitting next to Lex. Turning to Lana, she ordered a cup of tea before inching her chair closer to Lex. Sweetly, she introduced herself to Chloe and Justin. Punctuating her speech with light touches on Lex's shoulder and arm, Grace succeeded in sucking the life out of the evening. Within minutes, Justin and Chloe excused themselves.

Several minutes later, Grace feigned a headache and asked Lex to drive her home. Reluctantly, Lex agreed. Offering apologies to Clark, Lex found himself with an armful of Grace as he guided her out of the coffee shop.

--<{()}>--

March 19, 2003
Smallville High

Patiently, Lex waited outside the high school. A few minutes after the last bell, he saw Clark and waved. Smiling, he waited until Clark was seated beside him before asking, "So, what was that frantic cell phone call I received from you all about?"

Glaring at Lex, Clark argued, "It was not frantic. I just wanted to see you without Grace butting in."

Rolling his head back until his head hit the headrest, Lex sighed, "Grace again."

"Lex, she's obviously up to something."

"You don't know that, Clark. I'll admit she has her own agenda, but who doesn't?"

Narrowing his eyes, Clark asked, "Why are you protecting her?"

Looking back at Clark, Lex replied, "I have my reasons, Clark."

"What reasons would those be?" countered Clark.

"None of your business." replied Lex.

"None of my business?" asked Clark. Leaning back in his seat, he ran a hand through his hair as he asked, "Is she threatening you?"

Shaking his head, Lex scoffed, "Please."

"You're not telling me everything, Lex. What does she know about you? What are you not telling me?"

"That too is none of your business, Clark."

"Excuse me? What secret is she holding over you?"

"What secret?"

Nodding harshly, Clark mimicked, "What secret?"

Rolling his eyes skyward, Lex laid back against the headrest. Rolling his head slowly to the right, he said, "You want to talk about secrets, Clark? Okay, let's talk about secrets. Let's talk about you. Let's talk about all the things I've seen and all the lame excuses you've given. How about the time I hit you with my Porsche? Don't try to deny it. I know I hit you. Want to talk about something more recent? How about the Valentine's Day ball? How did you get home without the limo?"

Sitting up, Lex leaned toward a now silent, wide-eyed Clark and continued, "Let's talk about all the frightened looks I see you exchange with your parents. Oh yeah, I saw those. Though to tell you the truth, I overlooked them. I mean, every family has secrets, but do not think for one minute that I haven't seen all the unspoken understanding between you, Justin and Lana."

"In fact, it's like there's a little club that knows all about Clark Kent and I'm not a member of that club, am I, Clark?"

Silently, Clark stared back at Lex. Unable to speak, he remained motionless as Lex turned in his seat and turned on the engine. He revved the engine once before mumbling, "That's what I thought."

Looking at Clark again, Lex said softly, "At least Grace is honest with me."

Slowly, Clark nodded. Opening the car door, Clark stepped out of the vehicle. Clutching the door handle, Clark looked back at Lex, but said not a word. He just closed the door and watched Lex drive away.

--<{()}>--

March 22, 2003
Metropolis, Kansas

At a long forgotten club, Lex let the pounding bass flow through him. As Grace handed him his fifth, no, eighth drink of the night, Lex finally forgot about all the problems he was having with Clark. As he swallowed the glass of Hypnotic, he realized Grace was right - He needed a night away. He needed a night when he could just be his old self again. No Clark. No anything.

Slamming the glass down on the bar, Lex let the buzzing warmth fill every inch of his body. Licking his lips, Lex reached out for Grace, pulling her onto the crowded dance floor. The music didn't fit with slow dancing, but the number of people in the club made it impossible to be more than an inch apart. Dancing wildly, Lex eventually found Grace pressed against his body. His mind cloudy from the alcohol, he smiled once at Grace's sensual mouth before kissing her soundly.

Fluidly, Grace wrapped her arms around Lex. As they continued to rock to the music, Grace wrapped her right leg around his waist and pulled him closer. Now, bumping and grinding on the dance floor, Grace smiled against Lex's mouth when she felt his erection rub against her. Lowering her right leg, Grace took Lex by the hand as she guided him out of the club.

Lip-locked, they didn't look up. Stumbling out to the parking lot, they didn't even bother to open the door of the convertible. Instead, Lex picked Grace up and dropped her onto the backseat. Not missing a beat, he scratched up his paintjob by climbing into the back, dropping down between Grace's open thighs.

Kissing madly, Lex pulled Grace's top up and dove down for her breasts. Squeezing them tightly, he sucked at them greedily until he moved his left hand down her body. Reaching her center, he grabbed the edge of her underwear. Pushing up on his knees, Lex pulled the moist panties down her thighs, stopping at her knees. He pushed his fingers through the wet curls between her thighs. As he touched her, he felt her hands fumble with his pants, pushing them down his hips.

As he probed her with his fingers, she sighed, "Oh, Alex."

Suddenly, a memory of a long ago phone call popped into his head.

"Can I call you Alex?"

"No."

Pushing up onto his elbows, Lex squeezed his eyes shut. Opening them, he found Grace's confused face. Shaking his head, he looked around and realized where he was and what he was doing. Scrambling away from Grace, Lex pulled his pants up. He could hear her questions, but he didn't listen. Instead, he sat on the car door long enough to swing his legs out of the car. Jumping onto the pavement, he didn't hesitate as he reached back into the car and began dragging Grace out of the car.

Underwear still around her knees, Grace staggered out of the car. Pulling at her blouse, she screamed, "What are you doing?"

Shrugging her off, Lex pulled out his wallet and threw a few crisp one hundred dollar bills at her feet. Climbing in the car, he heard her curses, but didn't listen. Instead, he put the car into gear and drove away.

Four Hours Later
Luthor Castle

"You fucking selfish prick!" yelled Grace as she marched into the castle. She found Lex with a cold compress held to his forehead. Unmoved she walked up to him and slapped him. "How dare you!"

Cradling his cheek, Lex replied with a cold voice, "How dare I?"

Standing up, Lex flung the cold compress on the floor. Pushing Grace, Lex backed her against the nearest wall. Grabbing her arms, he shook her as he pressed her painfully against the polished mahogany. "How could you, Grace? How could you betray me like this? Out of friendship, I helped you and this is how you repay me?"

"Out of friendship?" inquired Grace. "Out of guilt, you mean. Let's be honest - We haven't been friends for a long time. Don't forget, Alex. You left me. It wasn't the other way around."

"So, this is about vengeance," said Lex.

"You're so vain," hissed Grace. "Bloody and broken, Alex. That's how you left me. You turned your back on me when I needed you the most. No one would blame me for wanting vengeance, but this was never about that."

Letting go of her, Lex backed away. Crossing his arms over his chest, Lex asked, "Then, what was this all about, Grace?"

Inching away from Lex, Grace cautiously crossed the room. She sat down when she reached the nearest chair. Looking down at her hands, Grace explained, "Did you ever wonder what happened to me that night? Did you ever wonder where they sent me? My father placed me in an asylum in White Plains, New York. It was meant to be a prison but it became a sanctuary. I was there until three months ago."

"The man I loved. The one I told you I lost. I met him there. His name was Bobby. He was sweet and kind and good. He was the first bit of happiness I'd had in years, but he was poor with no important ties. That meant I could never tell my family about him. I hoped I'd never have to. My family rarely visited and I thought we were safe until my Father dropped by unexpectedly last January. He found us in bed together. He ordered my release the next day."

"As we drove away from White Plains, he threatened that he would kill Bobby if I ever saw him again. More than that, he promised to shut down the asylum. I couldn't let that happen. Too many people depend on the seclusion and peace that place provides. So, I promised to do whatever he wanted so long as he left Bobby and the asylum alone."

"This is why you're not fighting back," said Lex.

Nodding, Grace replied, "Of course. What could I do? Where could I go? Not back to White Plains. That's the first place my Father would look. Besides, there are too many secrets there, too many people I care about. I can't allow myself to become the destruction of that place. And you know my Father would destroy it if he thought it would make me come back to him."

"Once we reached the family estate, my Father ordered me into the library. Lionel was waiting there for me. He told me that my Father made some bad business decisions and was in debt to Lionel for most of his net worth. Lionel said the debt would be wiped clean if I got you to leave Clark. My Father had already accepted Lionel's terms. He ordered me to pack for the trip to Smallville."

Looking down at Grace's sad face, Lex summarized, "So our Fathers conspired to break up my relationship with Clark and cover up your time at the asylum."

Nodding, Grace answered, "Yes.

Heavily, Lex slid down into the seat beside Grace. Slowly, his hand reached out until it took a hold of Grace's hand. Sighing loudly, Lex whispered, "I can't say that if I were in the same position that I wouldn't do the same thing you're doing right now. You were right before. I am fortunate to have my own money, my own autonomy. There's a reason why my Father needed to go to these lengths to try to destroy the one good thing in my life - My Father has no direct power over me."

"Don't get me wrong, I'm pissed. But I still owe you. I wronged you, Grace. I betrayed you six years ago in a way far more heinous than the way you have betrayed me now. For that, I'm extending some protection. This castle can be your sanctuary until I can find some way to give you back some of the happiness you've lost. Perhaps then, we can wipe the slate clean."

--<{()}>--

March 24, 2003
Luthor Castle

"Sheila, come into my office," ordered Lex.

"As you wish, Mr Luthor," replied Sheila, obediently. She entered Lex's office with a notebook and calendar, ready for whatever awaited.

"Sheila, I have a delicate mission for you."

--<{()}>--

March 31, 2003
Luthor Castle

Quietly, Lionel waited in Lex's office. Once his son appeared, he rose to his feet. Lex didn't miss a beat as he asked, "What brings you to darken my doorway this time, Dad?"

Shrugging off Lex's comment, Lionel said, "I came to get you."

"For what?" asked Lex.

"There are rumors flying around, Lex. For once, they don't involve your farm boy. Apparently, someone is casting doubts upon your health. Some say you have a venereal disease. Others say you have cancer or some other potentially fatal malady."

Clasping his hands behind his back, Lex asked, "I still haven't heard the reason why I need to 'get' anywhere."

Banging his cane twice on the floor, Lionel angrily stated, "LuthorCorp stock fell 10 points today at the mention of this rumor. It is imperative that we get you before a crowd and let them see how healthy you are."

"For this, I'm supposed to jump up and go to Metropolis?"

"Don't be smug. If you're not worried for LuthorCorp, then be worried for the fledging LexCorp."

Nodding slowly, Lex reached over and pushed speeddial#3. Instantly, Sheila entered the room. As he locked up his computer, Lex ordered, "Reschedule my appointments for the next two days. I'll be in Metropolis until Wednesday."

"As you wish, Mr. Luthor. Would you like to for me to reschedule any of your appointments to coincide with your trip to Metropolis? You had a couple people who were traveling from there.'

Shaking his head, Lex headed for the door. As he reached Sheila, he said, "I want them to travel."

Smiling knowingly, Sheila replied, "As you wish."

--<{()}>--

April 2, 2003
Metropolis, Kansas
Luthor Tower

"Hello Sheila, I've been trying to contact Grace. Do you know where she is?" asked Lex.

There was a short pause before Sheila answered, "No, Mr. Luthor. I suppose she went to town, but I don't know where she is exactly. Do you want me to try her cell phone?"

"No, just give her the following message - I want her to meet me here by tomorrow morning."

"As you wish."

--<{()}>--

April 3, 2003
Luthor Tower

"Why Dad, what a surprise," joked Lex as he poured his coffee. Turning around, he stared at an open copy of the Wall Street Journal he knew his father was sitting behind. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Is there some reason why you're here instead of at the office?"

Not bothering to close his paper, Lionel responded, "Is it odd for a Father to say goodbye to his only son?"

"Of course not, so long as we're pretending you're the loving Father we both know you're not."

Lowering his paper, Lionel hid a sneer behind a small smile. Lifting the paper to its original position, Lionel said, "LuthorCorp stock is back to normal after our campaign. I call that a success."

Throwing his hand up, Lex shook his head as walked over to the table and sat down. Taking a sip of his coffee, Lex sighed, "Well, isn't that just great?"

A few minutes later, the phone rang. Lex answered the call and quickly gave permission to let the person come up. A couple minutes after that, Grace entered the room. They met at the door, and didn't stay in the penthouse long. Before he left, Lex managed to glance long enough at Lionel to see the momentary look of surprise and smugness cross his Father's face.

--<{()}>--

Several Minutes Later
The Harcourt Building

"Mr. Luthor, Miss Harcourt, Mr. Harcourt can see you now."

Nodding, Lex took a hold of Grace's elbow and guided her through the large office doors. Inside the brightly lit space, a smiling man who rushed up to greet them. "Lex, it's wonderful to see you. Grace, how are you dear?"

Cordially, Grace stepped forward and placed a kiss on her Father's cheek. Stepping back, she felt Lex's arm wrapped around her shoulders. Smiling, she replied, "I'm fine, Father. How are you?"

Before Mr. Harcourt could answer, Lex interjected, "I came by to discuss some things with you, Mr. Harcourt."

Smiling widely, he rubbed his hands together as he answered, "Call me Albert, Lex, and please sit down."

Quickly, They all sat down. Lex sat beside Grace. They both sat across from Albert who grasped his knees as he leaned forward and asked, "What is it you'd like to discuss?"

Reaching into his coat, Lex pulled out an envelope. Still smiling, he handed it to Albert. Confused, Albert unfolded the letter and began reading the contents. Slowly, the smile on Albert's face faded away. Glancing back and forth from Lex to Grace, Albert carefully refolded the documents as he inquired, "What is the meaning of this?"

Sitting back, Lex explained, "I would think it's very clear. You've done very badly at business, Albert. On top of millions that you owe my Father, you have over 60 million in potential fines to several governmental agencies. That's a low estimate, of course."

"What do you want?"

Shaking his head, Lex answered, "It's not about what I want. It's about what your daughter wants. She wants her freedom from you."

Looking at Grace, Albert said, "You're betraying me then."

Staring directly into her Father's eyes, Grace replied, "Don't be so shocked. I learned how from you."

Laughing softly, Albert opined, "You aren't going to turn me in to the Government. It would bankrupt this company. You'd have to get a job and work for a living. We both know you're not about to do that."

Grasping onto Grace's hand, Lex asked, "Grace, could you wait outside? I need to speak to your Father alone."

Curious, Grace searched Lex's face. When she couldn't find an inkling of what he hadn't told her, she stood up and left the room. Once the door closed behind her, Lex turned back to Albert. "You go on business to Costa Rica a lot, don't you Albert?"

Clearing his throat, Albert answered, "Sure, to check on my plantations. What of it?"

"I found Consuelo, Albert."

Wide-eyed, Albert stuttered, "What?"

"I also found the two illegitimate sons you had by her. What are their names? Alberto and."

"Enrique."

Nodding, Lex continued, "That's right - Enrique. I looked into your prenuptial agreement with your wife. It's completely void if you are unfaithful. I'd say two kids are incredibly powerful proof of infidelity. Under Kansas law, you'd be lucky if they let you keep your car."

"Albert, you are right about one thing - Grace doesn't want to lose her inheritance. Of course, if I give this information to her Mother, then she doesn't have to. You entered into personal loans with my Father. Community Property wouldn't be touched by these loans, especially since you used most of the money to establish trusts in Consuelo's name. You'd lose your business, your home, your good name and you'd still have my Father to contend with."

Wiping his forehead, Albert asked, "What do you want? What will it take to keep this quiet?"

"An offshore trust. You'll name an independent, foreign trust company as trustee and you'll name Grace as sole beneficiary. You'll place sufficient assets in the trust for her to live well. Then, you'll leave her alone."

"What about the loans?

"That's between you and my Father. Just keep skimming profits to pay him like you have been for the past four years and you should be just fine."

"What of the previous threats?"

Shrugging, Lex replied, "What company doesn't bend a few rules, Albert? The government won't hear about yours from me."

Taking a deep breath, Albert agreed, "Fine. I'll do it, but I need both some time and some assurances."

"Of course, I'll give you three weeks to establish the trust. Once established and reviewed, I'll hand over the originals of my research."

"Agreed."

Standing up, Lex said just before he turned to leave, "It's been nice doing business with you, Albert."

--<{()}>--

April 5, 2003
Smallville, Kansas
Luthor Castle

"I'm pathetic," whispered Clark. Standing in a neighboring field, he used his telescopic vision to spy on Luthor Castle.

On Thursday, Grace stopped by the Talon for a tea before she took off for Metropolis. Lana said she looked excited. So, here stood Clark as he stood Thursday night and Friday night, waiting for Lex's return.

Finally, a little after eight o'clock in the evening, Lex's sports car drove up to the castle. As he felt his heart tighten, Clark mumbled, "Next to the word pathetic in the dictionary is my picture."

He watched as Grace jumped from the car. Practically dancing, she rushed over to Lex and hugged his arm. He felt his heart break at the sight of Lex and Grace smiling at one another as they entered the castle. As the front door closed, he felt his eyes begin to burn. Squeezing them shut, he felt tempted to use his x-ray vision to see where they went from the front door. The stinging in his eyes intensified as he seriously considered it. Then, the pain subsided enough to allow him to open his eyes. A moment later, he turned around. Walking away slowly, he sighed, "Yep, I sure am pathetic."

--<{()}>--

April 25, 2003
Luthor Castle

Standing outside the castle, Grace and Lex personally received the parcel. Tipping the courier, Lex waved the man goodbye. Anxiously, Grace ripped open the packaging. Letting out a cry of relief, she sifted through the paperwork establishing her offshore trust. Clutching the documents, she threw her arms around Lex's neck. Hugging him tightly, she laughed until Lex took the documents from her. Pulling out his cell phone, he dialed his attorney's phone number. Leading Grace inside the castle, Lex marched into his office. Ignoring Sheila's questions, he closed his office door, locking Sheila out. Quickly, he faxed the documents to his attorney. The attorney assured him that the documents would be reviewed by the next day. Closing his phone, Lex looked at Grace and said, "We'll celebrate tomorrow once the documents have been confirmed."

Suddenly sober, Grace nodded.

--<{()}>--

April 26, 2003
Luthor Castle

"You're sure. There are no problems with the trust. Excellent."

Placing the phone down, Lex turned to Grace. Spreading his arms, he announced, "Let the celebrations commence!"

Rushing into his arms, Grace cried, "Thank God. Let's have one last happy night in this place."

Nodding, Lex escorted her to the garage.

At upwards of eighty miles per hour, they drove through Smallville. Leaving a trail of dust, they flew over the roads as loud music blasted from the stereo. Skidding on asphalt, they left burnt rubber marks on Main Street as they sped into town. Stepping out of stores and shops, the citizens witnessed the flash of red and the sound of laughter left in their wake.

Among those alerted by the roaring of an expensive engine was Clark Kent. He left the Talon just in time to see the red blur turn at the corner and vanish from sight. Biting his bottom lip, he curled his hands into fists. Unable to stand it anymore, he decided then and there to put an end to any doubts. Looking around, Clark made sure everyone was looking elsewhere before speeding away.

Clark followed them throughout Smallville. Over bridges. Across fields. He pursued them. He watched them eat at the restaurant on the edge of town. Under the moonlight, he listened to them discuss future plans. He didn't understand all the plans, but many of them involved going to New York and that just made him mad. The more he watched, the madder Clark became.

Finally, they arrived at the castle and the night appeared to be over. Lex and Grace exited the car and walked up to the front door. Before entering, Grace turned around and said, "I don't know how to thank you, Alex. You've given me my life back."

Nodding, Lex stepped forward and replied, "I hope it's a good exchange for the one I stole from you."

Pressing her fingertips against his lips, she whispered, "Let's set aside the pain we've carried. Let's say the slate has been wiped clean. I want to go forward and not look back. How does that sound to you?"

Smiling, Lex reached up and moved the hand at his face. Cradling it against his cheek, he agreed, "I'd like that."

Rubbing her thumb across his cheek, Grace said, "I need to pack and be ready to leave in the morning."

Nodding, Lex replied, "I know. Goodbye, Grace."

"Goodbye, Alex," she sighed as she leaned forward and gently kissed him.

Overhead, a loud explosion caused small chunks of castle wall to fall at their feet. Wrapping Grace in his arms, Lex looked around. Searching the night, he noticed the scattered rock. Cautiously, he let go of Grace long enough to pick up a piece. As it burned his flesh, he dropped it. Suddenly, he stopped cold when he saw Clark. Painted red from an eerie glow emanating from his eyes, Clark stood in the distance for only a moment. In the blink of an eye, he was gone.

CHAPTER TWENTY: Eyes Opened

So, open your eyes,
And, see who I am,
And, not who you want for me to be,
- "Don't Wanna Lose You" by Gloria Estefan

April 26, 2003
Kent Farm

"Get out of here, Lex!" yelled Clark. "You do not want to be near me right now."

Contrary to Clark's warning, Lex entered the barn. Staring at all the smoldering black spots on the walls, ceiling and stairs, Lex called out, "Clark, we need to talk about this."

Suddenly, Clark appeared at the banister. His eyes tightly shut, he cried, "Just go away."

"No!" countered Lex. Slowly, he walked over to foot of the banister as he said, "I saw everything, Clark. I saw your eyes glowing red and how you practically disappeared."

Retreating from sight, Clark moaned, "Oh God."

Pausing on the fifth step, Lex shouted, "Clark?"

From the landing, he heard Clark say, "Lex, go away, go back to Grace."

Quickly, Lex ascended the stairs. All the while, he explained, "Grace is leaving tomorrow morning. All you saw was a good-bye kiss. Trust me."

"Why should I trust you, now? You haven't been straight with me about this from the beginning."

On the landing, Lex looked at Clark. Sitting in the darkness, Clark still squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for an answer. Taking a step toward Clark, Lex said, "You're right. There's a lot you don't know. That's my fault and I plan to remedy that now." Eyes still closed, Clark asked, "What do you mean?"

Sitting beside Clark, Lex looked at Clark's young face and said, "I'm not a good man."

Shaking his head, Clark argued, "You are a good man. You're not like your Father."

Placing his hands on Clark's cheeks, Lex forced Clark to face him. "You've got to start seeing me for who I really I am, Clark."

Taking a deep breath, Clark whispered, "I don't understand."

Drawing in a deep breath, Lex explained. "You look at me and see a far better man than I really am. For you, I try to be that man. But I'm not and you don't let yourself see that. You don't let yourself see the things I've done - The things I keep on doing."

"Lex?"

"No Clark, you want to understand? Then, I'm going to explain it to you. For the past several weeks, I've been helping Grace get her independence from her Father. To accomplish this, I've had to practically destroy the man. I ripped his heart out and showed it to him. Not literally, of course. But in the end, I still threatened the most important thing in his life to get what I wanted. Understand, Clark. That's what I do and I'm good at it. You have got to start seeing that."

"But you were trying to help Grace," countered Clark.

"At what cost, Clark? At what cost?" asked Lex. "My motives be damned."

Shaking his head again, Clark said, "Motives are everything, Lex. So you've got a dark side. Who doesn't? I have one, too. Frankly, I think mine can, on some level, be far more destructive than yours. But you try Lex. You try to do the right thing. That's what makes you a good man."

Slowly, Clark opened his eyes. There were no lasers, no violent displays. Confidently, he looked at Lex and said, "You were right."

"Huh?"

Shifting to face Lex, Clark explained, "There was a club that knew my secrets and I never let you be a part of that."

Reaching out, Clark cupped Lex's cheek. "I do see you, Lex. Sometimes, I see what I wish you were more, but I've always seen you for what you really are."

Covering Clark's hand in his own, Lex smiled. He watched numbly as Clark slowly took a hold of his hand and tugged on it. "Come on, I have something to show you."

Standing up, Lex wordlessly followed down the stairs and out of the barn. 'I shouldn't be letting him do this. I shouldn't.'

Across the field to the storm cellar, they said nothing. Finally, at the cellar door, Clark let go of Lex long enough to open the doors. Clark motioned to Lex to follow before descending the stairs. At the bottom, Clark looked back at Lex once before crossing the room and pulling the drape off the spaceship.

Open-mouthed, Lex stumbled forward. Crouching down, he gently caressed the metal hull of the ship. Skimming his fingers over the alien hieroglyphics, he asked, "Is this what I think it is?"

Kneeling beside Lex, Clark replied, "What do you think it is?"

Doing a double take, Lex looked at Clark. He continued to stare as Clark whispered, "It's time for you to see me as I really am. I'm not Human, Lex. I landed here with the meteors almost 14 years ago. I came in this ship."

"That's how you're able to do the things I saw before."

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yes. I have powers far beyond those of mortal men."

"You look so Human though," whispered Lex.

"I feel Human. My parents found me and they raised me as if I were Human. I don't remember where I came from. I have no memory of my birth parents. Kansas is the only home I've ever known."

Slowly, Lex wrapped his arms around Clark. Pulling him close, Lex said, "I see you clearly and I know that in every way that matters you are Human. I some ways, you're probably more Human than I am."

Clark moved to protest, but he never got the chance.

"Oh my God."

Moving bit-by-bit, Lex and Clark turned to face a stricken Jonathan Kent.

"Clark, what have you done?" Jonathan asked.

Holding Lex tighter, Clark replied, "It was my secret and it was time to tell it."

Gradually, Jonathan fell in a heap on the stairs. Cradling his head in his hands, he took little notice of his wife as she entered the cellar. She looked at Lex and Clark with shock and sadness battling in her eyes. Timidly, she took small steps forward as Lex and Clark stood up and pulled away from each other. Glancing at Clark, she pushed a lock of hair behind her hair as she approached her son. She smiled as his eyes followed her hair out of habit. Gently, she placed her hands on either side of his face and asked, "Are you sure?"

Nodding, Clark answered, "Yeah."

Nodding along with Clark, Martha reached up and pulled him into a firm embrace. After several seconds, she pulled away. With tears in her eyes, she turned to Lex. She paused, staring him in the eyes. A battle waged in her tense body for a few seconds before she took him by the hand. Firmly, she tugged on it until Lex started to follow her. Without saying a word, she led him past Jonathan's still cowering figure. Up the stairs, she continued to tug on his hand. Even when he tugged back, fearful of what she had in store for him, she grasped tightly onto him. Refusing to let go, she dragged him all the way into her kitchen.

There, she pulled a towel off a nearby towel bar. Throwing it at him, she cracked a smile when his mouth fell open as he caught it. Reaching for the kitchen sink faucet, she turned on the hot water as she looked at Lex and said, "I'll wash. You dry."


END PART 20