My Heart's Destiny

Author: J. Love

Pairing: Jim/Blair

Fandom: The Sentinel

Disclaimer: They belong to PetFly Productions and I'm only borrowing them.

Rating: NC-17

Warnings: m/m, wolf/panther, m/f, male pregnancy, have some semi-graphic violence

Feedback, very much appreciated: jl_foxy@pris.bc.ca

This is a response to a challenge by Ami.

Thank you to Joni for the betaing and the lovely title. All remaining errors are mine.

For the Sentinel Fuq-Q-Fest, it covers the following challenges: Easy challenges 1, 3, 30, Medium challenges 8, 9, and Complex challenge 8.


Pic by Romanse

( jl_foxy@pris.bc.ca )

()()()()()()()())()()()

 

William Ellison picks up his firstborn son. "He's perfect, Grace. Thank you for bearing him."

Grace smiles tiredly. The delivery was a difficult one and even now the nurse is assisting to make her more comfortable. "What shall we call him, William?"

"James, James Ellison will be his name."

"James," Grace murmurs softly in approval before slipping into a healing sleep.

"Nurse, will she be okay?"

"Yes, she just needs to rest. Go introduce your son to the court."

William exits the bedchamber and strides proudly to the main chamber.

His subjects wait anxiously for news from their Lord. Lord William enters and holds his son aloft. "It's a boy. His name is James Ellison."

Cheers break out in the room awakening the infant. James opens his eyes to look at what noise disturbs his rest. The court becomes quiet as they view the sky blue eyes for the first time. James opens his mouth and instead of an infant cry, he roars softly and transforms into a black jaguar kit.

William lowers his son to his breast to get a better look at him. The jaguar kit looks back at him with the same sky blue eyes.

"We are truly blessed this day," William announces proudly, positive that his son will also be a sentinel even though the DNA testing won't be done until the following week.

The kit yawns and changes back to human form. William cradles the precious bundle in his arms and looks out on his subjects. Wide smiles greet his eyes as they all share in his pride. This is indeed a great day for his household. Williams turns and takes his son back to his mother to share this latest news with her.

Seven Years Later in a remote forest

Naomi rubs her swollen belly soothingly as another contraction seizes her body. "Soon my precious, soon you can join us."

Maigret leads Naomi to the village. "We shouldn't have walked so far today. It's too near to your time."

"I know, Maigret, but I wanted to collect these herbs. They bloom for only a short time."

"Yes, I do realize that, but someone else could have collected them for you."

"Perhaps," Naomi gasps softly as a particularly strong contraction grips her.

"Can you make it?"

Naomi nods and rests a hand on her stomach. "He'll wait until it is time."

"So sure are you that it will be a boy. Did the shaman predict it?"

"No, I just know."

An hour later, Maigret helps an exhausted Naomi into the village.

"Someone please help us. Naomi is in labor."

The Shaman and his mate come to lead Naomi into their hut. "Foolish child, was your task so important that it couldn't wait for a more opportune time."

"No it couldn't. He'll need them."

"I have not sensed this. Are you sure, Naomi?"

Naomi nods as she breathes through another contraction. The Shaman sighs. Nothing that neither he nor anyone else says can change this one's mind. Naomi will not even reveal who made her pregnant. She only claims that is was a stranger.

Naomi's labor is long, ending only when the full moon rises to its zenith point. The Shaman's mate grinds the herbs Naomi collected that day quickly together so they will be ready when the baby is delivered. It was wise of Naomi to collect them after all. They will protect her child.

"It's a boy, Naomi." The Shaman tells her even as he scoops up the herbal paste and spreads on the tiny chest and forehead. He says a quick incantation of protection. Rare and dangerous are births that happen at night.

The baby opens his eyes as he is placed in Naomi's arms. Dark blue eyes gaze curiously at her. "Hello, my sweet Blair. Welcome into this world." She kisses him on the forehead and whispers an additional spell of protection and one of blessing. Blair wriggles in her arms and changes into a wolf pup. He licks her cheek before changing back and going to sleep.

Within the Ellison household

Seven year old James knocks on his parents' bedchamber door.

"Enter," calls out William.

James enters silently.

"James, I thought you had gone to bed hours ago."

"I did, Father, but I was awakened."

"By what?"

"My guide," James smiles. "He was born tonight."

"A male guide?"

James shrugs but doesn't stop smiling.

William looks at his son in concern. A male guide would mean no heirs, but perhaps the baby Grace is pregnant with now will fulfill those requirements. Only James' health and sanity is important.

"If it must be a male guide, then that is what we will accept."

James' smile widens. "Thank you, Father." He turns quickly and exits the room.

Grace awakens. "Was that James?"

"Yes, his guide has been born."

"How does he know?"

"It must be a sentinel instinct. The scientists still don't everything about sentinels and guides. However, you need your rest. Go back to sleep, Grace. I'll be here."

Grace snuggles against William. "I'm glad James will have a guide soon. It's been tough watching him struggle with his senses."

"Yes, it has. Although a female guide would have been better, a male guide is better than none."

()()(())()()(())()()

The years pass swiftly for both James and Blair. Each learning and studying within their own cultures.

()()(())()()(())()()

"Blair," Naomi calls. "It is time for supper."

"Yes, Naomi, I'll be right there."

Naomi shakes her head. It is a good thing she always calls Blair early for supper. By the time he arrives, she's usually just placing the meal on the table. Her son is so curious about everything, but he is a good student.

Blair comes in and washes up. "I was spending the day with the Shaman."

"Did you learn anything?"

"Oh yes, he taught me several spells. He says I'm learning fast for my age."

"I know you are. You better eat now while it's still hot. It is early to bed for you tonight. Maigret is taking you into the woods tomorrow."

Blairs smiles widely and begins eating.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day, Blair follows eagerly behind Maigret. "What are we going to be studying today, Maigret?"

"The magic of our woods."

"Is it like the magic in us?"

"Similar, but more powerful. It is the spirit of the woods, the life energy. An energy we can tap into to increase our own strength."

"The power of the earth?"

"Yes, exactly."

"The Shaman was telling me about it yesterday. Can we tap into this energy anywhere or just in our woods?"

"Everywhere is what I was told when I was your age. Soon you will be allowed to roam these woods alone. However, you must promise to be careful. Although our home is remote, there are occasional visitors from the outside."

"Will the outsiders harm us?"

"Some might. You should always be cautious."

"In my human form or my wolf one?"

"Both, Blair," Maigret ruffles his hair. "Let's get on with our lessons."

()()(())()()(())()()

More years pass, and soon James is nineteen and attending college.

~~~~~~

"Hey, James! You coming next week?

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's the first year that students get to go along."

"You signing up this time has a little to do with it."

"What do you mean, Simon?"

"The professors know you are an unbonded sentinel."

"So?"

"So they hope you'll find something to help you when you go on these trips."

"The only thing would be a guide and it's not likely I'm going to find one in the woods."

"Maybe not, but these woods are said to be unusual."

"They just haven't been explored completely. It is only a rumor that a lost tribe exists in them."

"What does Professsor Stevens always say?"

"That every rumor has some basis in fact, but even you have to admit that it is a longshot."

"Sure it is, but who cares, a week of camping out in unspoiled wilderness is more than worth any lectures Stevens comes up with."

"Yeah, I know."

"Will you be taking your guards with you?"

"No, I've convinced my Father that it is not needed anymore. I'm old enough to take care of myself. Besides since he gave up his title, there hasn't been any problems."

"Does your family miss any of the privileges of royalty?"

"A minor Lord is not royalty, Simon."

Simon arches his eyebrow.

"Okay, okay," James laughs. "No we don't, Father never used any of them anyway. His business interests were more than enough for him. He just says it's just one less headache to deal with."

"And what do you think?"

"An antiquated system that doesn't belong in these times. It's the age of enlighentment and scientific achievement."

"Speaking of science, what do you the doctors say about the chances of finding you a guide?"

"It's difficult. I need a special kind of guide because my own genetics are so rare."

Simon nods silently as he remembers the first time James changed into a jaguar in front of him.

"There's no way around it being a guide who can...." Simon trails off, unsure how to complete his sentence.

"Who can morph into an animal?" James finishes it with a laugh.

Simon sheepishly nods.

James sighs and shakes his head. "No, I'm afraid not. They explained it to me how I might damage any guide I tried to bind with if the guide didn't share my ability."

"That's crappy."

"Yeah."

"So what do you do until a guide can be found?"

"They gave me some medications and warnings to always have someone with me. However, it will be only temporary. I know my guide is waiting somewhere for me."

"I thought you didn't have a guide?"

"I don't...at least not with me. Although when I was seven, I was sure my guide was born one night."

"What do the scientists say about that?"

"There has never been a guide registered to match me. Perhaps, it was only a wishful dream." James says sadly, but not quite willing to give up all hope yet. James shakes himself out of his somber mood. "So, Simon, will you buddy up with me on this trip?"

"You don't even have to ask. Sure, I will."

"Thank you."

"It's what friends are for."

James smiles and drapes an arm around Simon's shoulders. "Let's go grab something at the cafeteria."

The following week.

James and Simon set up their tent at the edge of the clearing away from the others.

"Is this far away enough?" Simon asks as he chuckles.

James stands up and seriously considers the distance between their tent and the one closest. "Not really, but it'll have to do," James manages to say with a straight face before breaking up with laughter.

"Seriously, James, it is far enough?"

"Yeah, I think so. My being unbonded tends to make the others a little nervous. Most sentinels are bonded while still in their early teens."

"Why? It's not as if you are going to attack them."

"I know that and so do they. However, no matter how logical and scientific our society becomes, some of the basic fears still stay around. Also, there have been reports of rogue sentinels, who have lost their guides, turning on others."

"Those reports were never proven."

"Doesn't matter, the word of them still exist."

"When was the last one?"

"About fifty years ago, I think."

"Yeah, and that doesn't tell you something?"

"I know, I know. The reports are probably false, but the fear still exists in the remote corners of the brain for many."

"Let's table this topic for now, and go for a walk. This forest is amazing. It feels so alive."

James grins and nods. Simon and him head off exploring.

()()(())()()(())()()

Maigret comes into the village and goes to the Shaman's hut.

"Shaman, there are visitors to the north end of our forest. We need to warn the others to be careful."

"Yes, we do."

Shaman picks up a horn and steps outside. He blows it strongly three times. Soon, all the villagers are gathered around the Shaman.

"There are outsiders setting up camp on the north end of the forest. For those that do not need to go near there, don't." The Shaman looks directly at Blair who is eagerly looking to the north. "For those who have business there, please be careful."

The Shaman seeing that his warning is not being heeded by Blair, summons him. "Blair, come into my hut." He turns to Maigret and says softly, "Thank you for the warning, Maigret. Warn the ones who might come into contact with the outsiders, to watch out for Blair as well."

Maigret nods and goes to speak privately with several others.

Blair comes up to the Shaman. "You wish to speak with me, Shaman."

"Yes, come inside."

They enter the hut.

The Shaman draws in a deep breath before speaking. "Blair, I know you are curious, but now is not the time to explore it. You are only eleven...."

"I'll be twelve next week."

"That is besides the point, Blair, and you know it. You must avoid this group of outsiders. Perhaps when you are older, another group will come and you can study that future one."

Blair's face expresses his disappointment. "I want to observe this one, Shaman."

"I know, Blair, but please restrict your activities away from this section of the forest until they are gone."

"Okay," Blair agrees reluctantly, even as he secretly crosses his fingers behind his back. This is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

The Shaman sends Blair on his way satisfied that he has managed to impress on him to avoid the outsiders.

~~~~~~

Blair heads out of the village heading south after telling Naomi he is going to the river for a swim. He goes about a mile before changing to his wolf form and circling around the village and heading north.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Simon explore the forest near their campsite.

"We should come out here more often."

"Hmm," James murmurs as he closes his eyes and soaks up the feeling of the untamed forest.

"James?"

"I'm just enjoying it, Simon. I agree we should, but I don't see how. Trips to this region are under strict control. You have to apply in advance and have some very important connections even to get approval."

"Yeah, I know." Simon agrees disappointedly.

"We still have the forests near the college."

"They aren't the same. They are too regulated."

"I know, but it is better than nothing. Although, all this wild and untamed forest is hard to resist. We'll just have to enjoy it to the fullest while we can."

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair, as a wolf, circles the encampment slowly. He has managed to avoid both his fellow villagers and any of the outsiders wandering around. He lays down to watch one unique pair: two young men, one black and one white. As he watches the tall white man, his blood sings to him.

~~~~~~~~

"Hey, James," Simon calls.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think anything we find out here will help with your problem?"

"I don't know. Stevens was going on last night about how what we discover here can impact on current lives. However, I don't see how it can provide a guide for me."

"Maybe some new type of herb we find out here will allow you to bond safely with a regular guide."

"I don't know if I want to take that chance with a guide's life. The scientists all seem sure that the only way to safely bond is with a guide who can shift as well."

~~~~~~~

Blair rises and stretches. It is almost time for dinner, and he still has to circle around and come into the village from the south. The outsider's conversation is interesting even if he doesn't understand what a guide is. However, being able to bond to such a specimen would be glorious. All of a sudden, Blair is eager for the years to pass until he reaches his sexual maturity and can make decisions on his own.

~~~~~~~~

"Look," James grabs Simon's arm and points to the wolf stretching on the top of the hill.

Simon squints and follows James' pointing finger. He gasps as he sees his first wolf. "He's a beauty."

"Yes, he is." James softly agrees.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair glances at the two men and sees one pointing at him. He freezes momentarily before heading west. He silently prays they will not follow.

~~~~~~~~~

"Come on, Simon," James whispers.

The two follow the wolf at a distance.

~~~~~~~~~~

Blair glances back and sees them following. He sighs and speeds up his lope to put some distance between them and himself.

Blair has been running in an southwesterly direction for a half hour when he hears a low whisper summoning him. He looks up into the treetops and sees the Shaman. Blair has been caught disobeying. He looks back and cannot see his pursuers for the moment. He veers toward the tree the Shaman is in. At its base, he leaps into the air while changing back to human form.

The Shaman who has descended to the lowest branch, catches Blair and hauls him up onto the branch. The pair quickly climbs into the concealing foliage of the tree.

~~~~~~~~~~

James and Simon jog up to the tree where the Shaman and Blair are hiding.

James looks at the ground. "This is where the tracks end, but where is the wolf?"

Simon turns slowly in a circle seeking any sign of their prey. "I can't see him anywhere. This doesn't make any sense."

James shakes his head. "I know it doesn't, but we should be able to see where he went. He has just vanished. Do you think this is one of the mysteries of the forest?"

"Possibly. Should we ask Professor Stevens?"

"No, I don't think so. Somehow, I get the feeling that it is better if he doesn't know about this."

"Your senses can't help you here?"

"No, the medications keep them muted too much. Maybe if I hadn't taken them so recently, it would be better."

"Is there any chance that there might be a DNA match soon?"

"No, it's not likely. I know my mate is out there somewhere. I felt him when I was seven."

"Have you sensed him since?"

"No, except..." James trails off.

"Except...." prompts Simon.

"...here. For some reason he feels nearer to me here." James shakes himself. "Let's head back to camp. I'm sure Professor Stevens has a whole list of things for us to do."

~~~~~~~~~

After the two men leave, the Shaman and Blair climb down out of the tree. The Shaman leads him silently back to the village. Blair knows the lecture will come soon enough. He glances back and thinks about the conversation the two young men had.

At the village, the Shaman drags Blair into his hut.

"You were very foolish, Blair. You might have put the village in danger, as well as yourself."

Blair looks down at his feet. "I'm sorry, Shaman."

"So you should be. You will remain in the village until the outsiders have left this area. There will be no discussion on this. Is that clear, Blair!"

"Yes, Shaman."

"Now go to your mother. I'm sure Naomi is worried about you."

()()(())()()(())()()

Four years later

Naomi wakes up Blair early in the morning. "It's time, sweetie. You have to get ready for your ceremony."

Blair sleepily opens one eye. "Please, Naomi, it's still dark outside."

"Nevertheless, you have to get up. There is a lot you have to do to prepare for before you stand before the Shaman at noon."

Blair groans softly before slowly sitting up and pushing his tangled hair away from his face. "Can't I just use a spell for the preparations?"

"No, and you know better than to ask. The preparations must be done in the time honored ways. Rise and shine, Dear."

Blair sighs before getting out of bed. He knows there will be no breakfast waiting for him. He must fast until after the ceremony is over. However, the ceremony tonight promises to be special judging from the things going on in the village in the last week.

Naomi brings in loose pants and a shirt for him to wear. "The others are waiting for you at the waterfall."

Blair quickly dons the clothing and puts on light sandals. He runs a hand over his hair but decides it can wait for now.

~~~~~~~~

Blair arrives at the waterfall just as the sun comes up. He is greeted by the young men of the village and stripped. Blair is then led nude into the waterfall. He shivers slightly as the cool water pounds over his body.

The others thoroughly soap and rinse Blair's body everywhere. Blair's hair is washed and the tangles gently removed. They lead him to a mat laid out on the shore and direct Blair to kneel.

Blair slips into a deep meditation while the rising sun dries him.

~~~~~~~~

Two hours later the young men return and summon Blair back from his meditation. They silently gesture him to stand and begin to draw the ceremonial markings on his skin.

No sounds are made from this stage forward. Blair thinks on what his spirit walk told him. The jaguar pacing and urging the wolf to hurry to join him. For some reason, the image of the tall white man from four years appears frequently in his vision. Perhaps this man and the jaguar are linked some way, just as the wolf and him are.

After the paints are dried, an open sided robe is placed over his head. The soft cloth floats down his body to rest brushing the tops of his feet gently. A braided, silk cord is tied around his waist to pull the robe closed enough to preserve his modesty as long as he stands still. His hair is brushed back and braided loosely. The braid ends at the middle of his back.

Blair looks up at the sky to see the sun has nearly reached its zenith.

Soft white slippers are placed on his feet and a white blindfold is tied over his eyes. Blair is led back to center of the village where the Shaman waits.

~~~~~~~~~

"We welcome to manhood this young boy. From this day forward, he will be known to be a man in the eyes of world. Come forward, Blair."

Blair walks hesitantly forward, still blindfolded. His robe moves with him opening to reveal glimpses of the markings on his hips and legs. Blair stops when he feels the Shaman's hand on his shoulder.

"Kneel before me, Blair."

Blair sinks to his knees letting the front of the robe fall between his legs. The intricate markings of a wolf on each hip and thigh plainly visible to all.

The Shaman removes the blindfold. "A shapeshifter from birth, Blair has been. Wolf and man walking within the same body. Let this day reveal all the secrets the spirits have for Blair."

The Shaman steps back as a bright shimmering force swirls around Blair. Blair raises his arms to embrace the sky. When the shimmering recedes, instead of the young man all have seen before, is a young woman. The resemblance to the natural beauty of Blair leaves no doubt that she is Blair. She smiles and changes back to Blair, the man. Blair, still smiling, changes into a wolf.

The Shaman steps forward as Blair changes to himself again. "Welcome to adulthood, Blair."

"Thank you, Shaman."

The Shaman rests a hand on Blair's forehead, testing the new changes. "Blair, you have always been a challenge and a delight to have around. Quickly learning to master all we have to teach you, and now this new blessing. It is a true blessing from the spirits. In your female form, you are fully fertile and able to bear your mate a child."

The rest of the village falls into a shocked silence. Blair is truly special.

"Are you sure, Shaman?" Blair questions, shocked.

"Yes, Blair, the spirits have truly chosen to honor you. You are destined for great things. Blair, as a man in the eyes of this village and the world, the decisions you make are yours alone to make. You may seek counsel of anyone you choose in these decisions."

"Thank you, Shaman."

"Have you decided on a course for your life?"

"Yes, Shaman, I have."

"Blessings on your choices, Blair. If you need help, we are here for you."

"Thank you."

"Let the celebration of this special day begin."

The villagers surround Blair to hug and kiss him. All offer congratulations on the spirits' blessings.

The celebration of food and dancing go on late into the night.

~~~~~~~~

Blair rests on his bed after the last of the well-wishers have left. He thinks over the day and the direction he has decided on. Blair is unsure of how he is going to tell Naomi about them.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day, Blair wakes up late in the morning.

"Ah, you're awake, Dear."

"Yes, Naomi." Blair yawns, still feeling the effects of the previous day.

"There's some leftover pastries from breakfast if you're hungry."

"Maybe later, I'm not really hungry right now."

"Okay, I'm off to spend the day with Maigret. We have to replenish some of the herbal stores."

"Have a nice day, Naomi." Blair murmurs as he kisses Naomi's cheek.

~~~~~~~

After Naomi leaves, Blair prepares himself a strong tea. He sits at the table and tries to think of how to tell Naomi his decision.

A knock sounds at the door.

"Come in."

The Shaman enters. "Hello, Blair."

Blair starts to stand up.

"No, don't get up. I just wanted to check on you."

"I'm fine. Would you like some tea?"

"Yes, that would be nice."

Blair fetches a second cup of tea while the Shaman sits down.

"You appear to have some serious thoughts on your mind."

"I do. I've made some decisions and I don't know how to break them to Naomi."

"They involve you leaving us?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"I've always known you would leave the village. Despite our wishes to the contrary, you destiny lies elsewhere."

"Do you know more about my destiny?"

"No more than you do, Cub."

Blair smiles at the old nickname. It's been several years since anyone has called him that. "You haven't called me that in a long time."

"You are a little beyond your babyhood nickname."

"Perhaps."

"The best way to tell Naomi your decisions would the straight way. She'll understand. She loves you and only wants the best for you."

"I know, but I can't help feeling she never wants me to leave here."

"Nevertheless, you are your own man now and you must follow your heart."

Blair sighs and whispers "I know."

The Shaman finishes his tea and stands up. "No matter what your decisions may be, you are always welcome in the village.

Blair smiles. "Thank you, Shaman."

The Shaman leaves Blair to his thoughts.

()()(())()()(())()()

At James' College

"Hey, James, did you get your results?"

"Yeah, I passed."

"So did I."

"That's great, Simon. Should we go celebrate?"

"Good idea, James. Professor Stevens' exam was a killer one."

James chuckles and leads them to a small pub just off campus.

They each order themselves a beer.

"So, Simon, what are you going to do now?"

"I'm not sure. My Dad's offered a trip as a reward or I could just go into University right away. What about you?"

"My Father says it would be easier to get all the schooling done at once."

"We've just finished four years here."

"I know. I think I'll take a break. The thought of another four years right away...." James shudders.

Simon laughs. "You're right about that. Sometimes I wish society wasn't so education heavy. Did you know in my history lessons that they only had to go to college or university for four years before going into their chosen field."

"Lucky buggers."

Simon nods.

"Well, we can't get around the basic four years of college. It's mandatory."

"Have you decided on your University major?"

"I was thinking of something to do with law."

"Law? I thought you were going to go to the army first."

"I was, but Father said he would allow me pick any other field except that."

"Well, I guess we probably be taking some of the same classes. I've applied for Law Enforcement."

"That is a four year course minimum."

"I know, but I really liked all the reading I did on the subject. Besides, can you see me being a lawyer or scientist?"

"No, I guess not. Do you still have the material on the course? My Father has been pushing me toward the business courses."

"Yeah, back at my dorm room."

"So how long a break do you want to take?"

"At least four months. My Uncle Joe has a ranch down south. Would you like to come with me, James?"

"Sure, sounds like fun."

The two friends finish their beers and head for Simon's dorm.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair comes into his home to find Naomi already there. "Hi, Naomi," Blair greets her dejectedly.

"What's wrong, Blair?"

"Just tired, I guess. It seems like everywhere I go, someone is propositioning me."

"I thought you liked your friends here in the village."

"I do," Blair states sincerely. "However, I do not wish to mate with any of them."

"Why?"

Blair stares into space absentmindedly.

"Blair..." Naomi gently shakes his shoulder.

"Sorry, my mind wandered for a moment."

"Why don't you want to mate with anyone in the village?"

"I can't really explain it." Blair qualifies, not wishing to hurt Naomi's feelings.

"You can tell me anything, Dear."

Blair looks silently at Naomi trying to measure her response to his next words. "Naomi, you believe we have to follow our own destiny, don't you?"

"Yes..." Naomi encourages Blair to continue.

Blair takes a deep breath. "My destiny awaits in the outside world. I have meditated on this. My mate is waiting for me there."

"You would leave here?"

"I must, Naomi. Each day it pulls at me stronger."

A single tear slides down Naomi's cheek as she faces the fact that her only son is going to leave. "Okay, Blair. Remember, I will always love you."

"I know you will. I will always love you as well, Naomi. I will return when I can to visit."

Naomi smiles tremulously. "Would you like company on the first part of your journey?"

Blair smiles warmly at her. "Yes, I would." He is glad that she has accepted the news so well.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day, Blair makes his rounds of the village, saying goodbye to his friends and neighbors.

~~~~~~~~~~

Blair and Naomi set off to the outsider's world. At the farthest northern border, they pause and take a deep breath.

"Are you sure this is the correct path, Blair."

Blair nods as he gazes at the distant horizon. "Yes, Naomi."

Their journey leads them to the same college that James and Simon had graduated from only shortly before.

"It is a lot different from home. However, I feel I should be here." Blair assures Naomi. At the edge of his consciousness, he senses that he has only just missed his mate. He doesn't let it trouble him too much though. Every fibre in his being is telling him he is on the right path.

()()(())()()(())()()

They find the Burton College Administration building on campus and enter.

Blair goes to the counter. "Hello."

"Yes," a clerk answers absentmindedly.

"I wish to go to school here."

She looks him over. "Have you completed you pre-college courses?"

Blair shakes his head. "Can't I challenge them?"

"I let my supervisor deal with your case." She hurries away to side office.

A few minutes later, a middle-aged man exits and approaches Blair.

"Hello..."

"Hi, my name is Blair. I wish to attend here."

"Very well, if you follow me. I am the Dean here. You can call me Dean Henderson."

The three of them enter a small meeting room at the end of the hall.

"Excuse me for a moment." Dean Henderson says before closing the door behind himself.

~~~~~~~~~

"Naomi, what last name do we use?" Blair asks since he has only used his first name.

"We use Sandburg."

Blair nods.

~~~~~~~~~

The Dean returns carrying a stack of papers. "Mary said you wanted to challenge the pre-college courses. You will need to complete these tests to do so. Is it just you, Blair, that is doing this?"

"Yes, my Mother is just accompanying me until I have registered."

"Very well." He hands the stack of papers to Blair. "You may start now."

Blair nods and starts the tests.

~~~~~~~~~

Four hours later, Blair sighs and sets down his pen. His hand is cramping a little so he gently massages it.

"I'm finished, Dean Henderson."

The Dean looks up from his own paperwork. "I'll have someone grade the tests while we continue with the admission forms." He picks up Blair's completed stack and takes them out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Dean returns with a thin folder. "Well, Blair, just a little more paperwork to complete."

"Yes, Dean Henderson."

"What is your last name?"

"Sandburg."

"How is it that you didn't go to regular schools?"

"We traveled around quite a bit."

"Hmm, how old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"Sixteen?"

"Yes."

"OK, have you been DNA tested?"

"No."

"You realize you will have to have it done before you start classes."

"Yes, Dean Henderson," Blair answers softly, despite Naomi stiffening up beside him.

A soft knock sounds at the door.

The Dean answers the door and takes the test results. He looks them over. "Well, Mr. Sandburg, you have passed all the tests. Welcome to college. There is just the DNA profiling to be done and I can give you your room assignment and class schedules."

"Thank you, Dean Henderson."

~~~~~~~~~~

Dean Henderson leads them to a small lab within the Administration building.

"Mike, this is Blair Sandburg and his mother, Naomi. She has requested to stay with him during the test. Will you do a DNA test on him?"

"Yes, Dean Henderson."

"Mr. Sandburg, once you are done here, return to the main office to see me." The Dean leaves them.

"Well, Blair, if you'll have a seat. We'll get started right away. It's a simple test."

Blair sits down.

"Roll up your sleeve."

Blair follows instructions and Mike takes blood and skin samples.

"All done. The computer will print out the results right away. You can go to Dean Henderson's office now."

"OK. Thank you, Mike."

"You're welcome."

~~~~~~~~~~

Blair goes to the door and waits for Naomi to follow.

"Go on, Blair, I'll be there shortly."

"Alright, Naomi." Blair leaves Mike and Naomi alone together.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, Mike, what does the test say about Blair?" Naomi asks as the printouts come out.

Mike scans the data quickly. "He's quite exceptional. Blair is a shapeshifter and a guide."

Naomi nods and mutters softly under her breath a spell. Blair may have to take the test but Naomi will do her best to ensure that it doesn't enter the database.

Mike continues reading, not even realizing he presses the delete key on the computer. Only the paper record is left." What do you do with the paper records of DNA tests?"

"Oh, we file them away. We don't really use them since the computer has the information." Mike looks at his computer and sees a blank DNA test form on the screen. "What happened to Blair's test?"

"You pressed save and that blank form came up."

"Hmm, Blair's test was so interesting that I must not have realized I saved it. Oh well, as long it is done."

"Thank for the information, Mike. I should go find Blair now."

"Your welcome and have a nice day."

Naomi smiles, assuring herself that she has done the best to protect Blair.

()()(())()()(())()()

Mike files away the hardcopy of Blair's DNA test into the cabinet. It is getting full. He'll have move all the files to storage boxes next week. Mike goes on to his other work confident that if anyone needed this latest DNA test, they could find it in the computer database.

()()(())()()(())()()

Naomi rejoins Blair just as he receives his room assignment, class schedules and campus map.

"Hi, Naomi, let's go find my room. I start classes in the morning."

"Fine, Dear."

They head out, taking the circuitous route to the dorms.

"Are you going to be happy here, Blair."

Blair nods, his eyes shining. "Yes, there is so much to learn. There's even a small forest where I can change and run. It's protected as part of the campus, so it's safe."

"Nevertheless, you will be careful, won't you?"

"Yes, Naomi."

~~~~~~~~~

They arrive at Blair's dorm room and get him settled.

"You can always come back to the village if this doesn't work out."

"I know, Naomi. Please, don't worry about me. I'll be fine." Blair kisses her cheek.

"Alright, Blair." Naomi hugs him and leaves.

()()(())()()(())()()

The years pass swiftly for Blair. Soon he is in his final year, and studying sentinels and guides under Professor Stevens.

~~~~~~~~~

"Dean Henderson, may I have a word with you."

"Certainly, Professor Stevens. Come in."

Professor Stevens enters and closes the door behind him. "Do you remember the student, Blair Sandburg?"

"Yes..." Henderson says thoughtfully. "He challenged the pre-college exams to get in."

"Was a DNA test done on him?"

"Yes, I took to the testing office on campus myself."

"Have you ever seen it?"

"No, I never followed up on it. We had several new students arriving at the same time as he did. Why?"

"I swear he is a guide, but when I tried to access his file I got 'File Not Found'."

"Let me check." Henderson turns to his computer and punches in Blair's name and only his pre-college exams scores and College grades come up. "This can't be right."

"No luck either?"

"No, I have to check with Mike."

~~~~~~~~~~

Dean Henderson phones Mike.

"Mike, I need you track down a DNA test result for Blair Sandburg."

"Blair Sandburg?"

"Yes."

"It should be on the system."

"It's not, I've just checked. Can it be anywhere else?"

"Yes, I keep a hard copy of all DNA tests. It should be in the storage room. Come to think of it, that particular test was interesting."

"Do you remember why?"

"Not exactly, only that I had only seen one other similar to it."

"Could you find the test?"

"Yes, I just need the date when it was done."

"Okay, it was..." Henderson checks when Blair entered the College. "...August 30, 2018. That's about three and a half years ago, I believe."

"Alright, I will go grab and bring it up to you."

"Thank you, Mike."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, we should have the test results soon, Stevens."

"Good."

"Why do you think Blair is a guide?"

"He's a natural in the classes. He was able to bring Kevin out of a zone when his guide was delayed. None of the other guides in the class were able to."

"Hmm. Anything else you have noticed about him?"

"He has the tendency to disappear in the forest every so often. Not even the sentinel/guide pairs I've sent to look for him can find him. They always report back that there is something similar to his scent, but can't find a trace of him."

"That is unusual."

The conversation shifts to general college topics while they wait for Mike.

()()(())()()(())()()

Mike knocks on the Dean's door.

"Come in," Dean Henderson calls out.

"I've found it."

"Is there a reason it wasn't in the computer system?"

"No, none that I can think of."

"Why don't you enter the test into the system on my computer?"

"Okay."

Dean Henderson gives his chair to Mike so he can enter the data. He turns to Stevens to continue their conversation with the low background noise of tapping keys.

~~~~~~~~~

Within fifteen minutes, a whistle echoes through the room followed by soft chimes.

"What..." asks Stevens, startled.

"The test data triggered a priority alarm as soon as it was saved," Mike answers.

"What type of priority?" questions Henderson.

"A match is found. A rare one, too."

"How rare?"

"A shapeshifter sentinel and guide."

"Who are they?"

"The guide is Blair Sandburg and the sentinel is James Ellison."

"I remember Ellison," Stevens interjects. "He was still unbonded when he left here."

"Do you know where he went?" Henderson asks.

"To a ranch, I believe, but he was going to Rainier University after that."

~~~~~~~~

Henderson grabs the phone to place a call to the University.

"I would like to speak with Dean Wilkinson..."

..."Hello, I need to find one of your students."....

...."Yes, that's right. It's James Ellison."...

...."I know, Wilkinson, but it is important. We have his guide here at Burton College."...

..."Splendid, we will be expecting him shortly. Goodbye."

~~~~~~~~~

Henderson hangs up the phone and smiles smugly.

Stevens chuckles. "You love getting the better of Wilkinson, don't you?"

"Yes, I do. Apparently, he has had scouts out searching for any possible matches for James. The Ellison family is quite influential. Their younger son is already making a name for himself in the scientific circles. Anyone who finds a guide for James is going be in William Ellison's favor."

"Of course, you are going to be the one to deliver the long awaited guide."

"Yes."

"Are we going to tell Blair?"

Henderson lapses into silence for several minutes as he considers his answer.

"Mike, would it do any harm if Blair doesn't know?"

"No. In fact, if they bonded on their own without being pushed at each other, it would be better. Especially, considering the strength of bond that history books claim that shapeshifter bonds mature to."

Henderson nods. "Okay, it is decided. We won't warn Blair of this. Of course, James will know. I'm sure Wilkinson will spill the beans. However, when he arrives, we will only give Blair's general location and let them find each other."

Mike and Stevens nod their agreement. Mike turns back to the computer and enters a suppression code on Blair's file so that it can't be accessed. He hands a copy of Blair's DNA report to the Dean.

"If you will excuse me, I left several future students waiting outside the DNA lab when you called." Mike speaks to Henderson and Stevens.

"Certainly. Thank you, Mike," says Henderson.

"Yes, indeed," agrees Stevens.

Mike leaves the office.

~~~~~~~~~

"How long do you think it will take James to arrive?"

"Not long. It's only a hundred and fifty miles from here to Rainier University. Tomorrow at the latest, I would think." Henderson speculates.

"Good, Blair has the next two days off from his studies."

"He isn't planning on leaving the grounds, is he?"

"No, I overheard him telling Susan that he wanted to do some extra research in the library here."

"We will have to keep an eye on him so we can point James in the right direction."

"If it is even necessary. There is something about that boy that even the DNA reports can't explain." Stevens says as he reads through Blair's report.

"Which one? Blair or James?"

"Blair. I can't shake the feeling that he is hiding secrets beyond what the DNA tells us."

"Perhaps he is. However, I have always found him quite likeable even when I first met him. Although, if you believe Blair to be secretive, you should have met his mother, Naomi. I never could figure her out."

"Naomi? I didn't realize his mother was alive."

"Well, she is. At least, she was when Blair registered. She left shortly after that and I have never seen her again."

"Hmm. Oh, are the bonding chambers ready?"

"Yes, I just did a check on them this morning. You realize we will have to notify the doctors and scientists."

"I know," Stevens murmurs. "However, I would just as soon delay that as long as possible. I always believed that a bonding, especially the first, should be private."

"It can't always be though."

Stevens nods silently.

"Alright, I'll hold off on notifying others until we are sure that they are meant for each other."

"Thank you. I'll go keep an eye on Blair. You'll find me when James arrives?"

"Yes, thanks for bringing this to my attention."

Stevens leaves Henderson alone with his thoughts.

()()(())()()(())()()

Rainier University

A knock sounds on Dean Wilkinson's door.

"Come in."

"Dean Wilkinson?" James asks uncertainly. "You wish to see me?"

"Yes, James, I have good news for you."

James breathes a silent sigh of relief. The message summoning him to the Dean's office wasn't very clear.

"Your guide has been found."

"My guide..." James whispers hopefully.

"Yes, he is at Burton College right now. I have arranged a leave of absence from school for you and whoever you wish to take as a companion. I'm assuming you will wish to leave right away."

"Yes, Dean Wilkinson, I would. Thank you." James turns to leave.

"Good luck on your bonding, James. Report to Dean Henderson when you arrive at the College and he'll direct you to your guide."

"Thank you. Er..." James pauses with his hand on the doorknob.

"Yes..."

"What is my guide's name?"

Dean Wilkinson looks down at his desk, before replying "Blair Sandburg."

"Blair..." James rolls the name softly on his tongue. "Thank you, Dean Wilkinson."

~~~~~~~~

James enters his dorm room to find his roommate, Simon, studying.

"Hey Simon!"

Simon looks up, studying James for a moment and can't help noticing James' grin. "Good news, I assume."

"The best news! My guide has been found. Dean Wilkinson has cleared me for travel."

"Only you?"

"No, of course not. He has also cleared a companion's travel as well. Can you come with me?"

"You don't need to ask, James. Of course, I will."

"It won't hurt your studies?"

"No. I'm ahead on them and I don't start my onsite training until next month."

James' grin grows into a genuine smile. "Thanks, Simon."

"So where are going?" Simon asks as he grabs a pack and starts packing.

"Would you believe Burton College?"

"Seriously?"

"Yes."

"Was she there when we were?"

"No, I don't think so. Uh, Simon..."

"Yes..."

"I don't think my guide's a woman."

"Do you have a name?"

"Yes, it's Blair Sandburg."

"Blair can be a female name."

"I know, it's just a feeling I have that Blair is male. It's a feeling I've always had since I first felt his presence."

Simon smiles. "So let's go find your guide."

~~~~~~~

The two friends go the campus garage and pick up the vehicle waiting for them. Simon drives them to their destination. They arrive at Burton College six hours after James first heard of his guide being found.

()()(())()()(())()()

Burton College

James and Simon go directly to Dean Henderson's office.

"Dean Henderson," James calls out as he sees him leaving the building.

Henderson stops and waits for them to come up to him. "Hello, you must be James Ellison. Who is your companion?"

"Yes, I am. This is my friend, Simon Banks."

"Pleased to meet you. If you will follow me, I'll find out where Blair is at presently."

James nods absently as he tilts his head. He can't really hear anything yet. However, the feeling that has been growing stronger as they neared the college campus has become a siren's call to him.

"James..." Simon calls softly while shaking James' shoulder.

"Yeah," James responds reluctantly. Everything in him is urging him to seek out his guide.

"Dean Henderson is waiting for us."

They follow Henderson into the building to his office.

~~~~~~~~

Henderson directs them to seats in front of his desk before calling Stevens to his office.

~~~~~~~~

Stevens enters the office slightly out of breath. "Hello, James and..." Stevens looks at the other young man. "Simon, isn't it?"

"Yes, Professor Stevens," Simon responds.

James' nostrils flare as he catches a scent on Stevens. "You were with Blair recently?"

"Yes, I was. How did you know?"

"I can smell him on you."

"You haven't even met him yet, have you?"

"No, Professor Stevens."

Stevens and Henderson glance at each other. This is uncharted territory for them. The last shapeshifting pair was already bonded when they were discovered.

"Where is Blair, Professor Stevens." James growls out softly.

"He was heading into the campus woods."

James was on his feet and out the door before Stevens even finished.

"Sorry about that," Simon says. "James has been waiting for his guide to show for a long time."

"It's quite alright, Simon," Henderson assures him. "We understand completely. A room in the freshmen dorm has been found for you. I'll show you where it is."

Stevens rests a hand on Simon's shoulder for a moment. "Yes, we understand James' impatience. Campus security is keeping an eye on him and Blair right now." 'As much as they can with Blair once he enters the woods.' Stevens thinks to himself.

()()(())()()(())()()

James jogs towards the woods. The faint scent he'd picked up from Stevens and the siren's call growing stronger the closer he gets.

Just inside the dense woods, the scent he was tracking vanishes. In its place, is another one. This one is slightly muskier and more elusive. James growls and morphs into a panther. The last of the suppression medications burns out of his system. The entire forest comes alive for him as he continues tracking his guide.

~~~~~~~~~

Deep within the woods, Blair pauses and looks back. A feeling stirs deep within himself, setting fire to his blood. Blair smiles inwardly. His destiny comes for him. However, it will not that easy for the one seeking him.

Blair leaps into the air towards a low-hanging branch. Mid-air he changes into his female form and catches the branch. Pulling himself up he climbs, until he can move into the neighboring tree. Once again he changes. As he assumes his masculine identity and travels through the treetops for several yards, before dropping to the forest floor again. Just before he lands, he changes to a wolf again. He lopes off, daring his pursuer to find him.

~~~~~~~~~

James follows the elusive scent until it vanishes. He growls softly. His guide is being cagey. His admiration of Blair grows, because he is positive that it is Blair that he is tracking. James paces while scenting the surrounding area. The scent loses some of its musk and comes from above him. He changes to his human form and climbs the tree. He follows the trail left for him even as it changes twice more.

In the distance, James spots a wolf like the one he saw years ago. The wolf is Blair. Everything in James screams this to him. He increases his pace and catches up with him.

Blair glances back and sees the black panther gaining ground. He whirls around in the small clearing he is in and confronts the panther.

Panther and wolf circle each other. Two sets of blue eyes never leaving each other. Their souls recognize each other and rejoice in finding the other again.

Suddenly, the panther pounces, knocking the wolf to the forest floor. They roll across the clearing, each struggling for control. Finally, coming to a halt with the panther on top of the wolf. The panther loosely grabs hold of the wolf's throat in his jaws. The wolf yields and morphs into his human male form.

"I submit," Blair says quietly.

The panther releases Blair's throat and changes into James. "I accept your surrender, Guide."

Blair grins. "Guide?"

"Yes, my guide."

"I guess that makes you my sentinel."

"No other, Blair."

"You know me?"

"Yes, I have since I was seven. You have taken your time in showing yourself to me."

"Perhaps, but it was worth the wait."

"Most definitely," James says as he kisses his guide for the first time. "I am..."

"James. I know you as well."

James and Blair morph into panther and wolf again. They look at each other silently before returning to the Administration building where Dean Henderson and the others are waiting.

()()(())()()(())()()

Henderson and Stevens show Simon to his room where he drops off his and James' bags. Then all three return to the Dean's office to await the new sentinel/guide pair.

~~~~~~~~~~

The other students that the pair encounter on the way back, stop in their tracks. So unusual is the sight of a panther and wolf walking beside each other. For the few who feel brave enough to look into their eyes, they are further astonished by the bright blue color the pair share. All step back to allow the animals to pass.

James looks at his guide to see what his reaction is to how the others are behaving. He finds gentle humor flickering in his eyes and answering amusement responds in his.

~~~~~~~~~~

They arrive at the Administration building just as Henderson, Stevens and Simon came back.

Simon's memories flash back momentarily to the camping trip in the protected woods before escaping him again. The elusive glimpse of his first wolf is hiding just beyond his conscious memory.

Stevens steps forward hesitantly. "Blair, is that you?"

The wolf offers a sharp yip before transforming into human form. "Yes, Professor Stevens, it is me."

A soft rumbling purr comes from the panther just before it becomes James. The purr morphing into a soft chuckle.

Henderson steps forward to greet the new sentinel/guide team. "Welcome, Sentinel James and Guide Blair. I'm pleased to be able to help you in finding each other."

"Thank, Dean Henderson," Blair replies with a smile. "We are happy to find each other again."

"Again?" asks Simon.

Blair nods. "Our souls know each other already."

James pulls Blair into a hug and kisses his temple.

His smile widening and a glint of mischief entering his eye, Blair continues. "It is good to finally meet James in person. Seeing him from a distance was nice, but this is so much better."

"From a distance?" James questions puzzled.

"Hmm, you cut quite a figure in shorts."

"When did you see me in shorts?"

"A few years ago."

James looks at his guide, shaking his head. "I don't understand."

"I know. Don't worry; it will become clear once you remember."

A brief flash of an image of a wolf stretching on the hill before running away and disappearing enters James' mind.

"I've seen you before?"

"Yes, James."

Henderson interrupts, "I thought you never met before."

"We haven't," Blair answers. "However, that doesn't mean we've never seen each other."

"I've known you since you were born." James states more confidently.

"Yes, James, you knew of me. The Shaman told me my destiny lay elsewhere and that is with you."

Simon smiles at the pair as he remembers James telling him that he knew his guide was born when he was seven. A male guide as predicted.

Stevens speaks up. "I'm sure you two would like to get better acquainted. You have provided enough excitement for the campus today by returning in your animal forms. Dean Henderson and I will show you to the bonding chamber we have prepared for you.

James and Blair look at each other before nodding.

Simon touches James' shoulder lightly before gently placing the other hand on Blair's shoulder. Blair's soft hair caresses his hand reminding him that perhaps it is time for him to find his own mate. "I'm happy for both of you. I will see you in the morning before I have to go back to Rainier University. I'm assuming you will both be staying here for the time being?"

"Yes," James replies. "Or at least until we can figure how to remain together since Blair is still a student here."

Simon squeezes both shoulders gently before stepping back. He watches them follow Dean Henderson and Professor Stevens into the Administration building.

()()(())()()(())()()

After the door to the bonding room is closed behind them, James and Blair turn to each other.

"James..."

"Yes, Blair?"

"Uh, please don't be angry. It's not that I'm rejecting you, but I can't physically mate with you tonight."

"I don't understand. Are we not bonded?"

"Spiritually, yes, I do consider you to be my mate and I have submitted to you."

"Then why?" James gestures to the bed in the centre of the room.

"Please, James, bear with me for awhile. I need to introduce you my family first."

James sighs and fights down his need to fully claim his guide. "Alright, will you at least sleep with me?"

Blair smiles, relieved that James accepts his wishes. "Yes, I will."

They prepare for bed, retaining their boxers. As soon as the covers are pulled over them, James pulls Blair's unresisting body into his arms.

During the night, they kick off the blankets. Blair moves closer to James seeking heat. About the middle of the night, they both morph to the panther and the wolf. The panther slumbers tightly behind the wolf with one ebony paw draped over his body.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair wakes up momentarily disoriented. He hasn't changed in his sleep since he was a small child. Blair becomes human once again and tries to get up.

The panther growls softly and pulls Blair closer.

"Hey, James, I have to get up."

James opens his eyes and growls in his panther persona.

"Please, man, I have to go to the washroom. I promise to return."

The panther eyes Blair carefully for a minute before releasing him.

Blair quickly gets out of bed and hurries to the toilet.

The panther yawns and changes into human form. James follows Blair to the washroom.

"Morning, Blair."

Blair jumps a little. "Hey, man, give a guy a little warning. I thought you were still in bed."

James grins. "No, I have to use the facilities too."

Stepping past James, Blair says "it's all yours." Blair goes into the bedroom to await James. They have a lot of talking to do.

()()(())()()(())()()

James stops outside of the bathroom door to look at his mate. He almost cannot believe his luck at getting such a beautiful guide. Granted, Blair's beauty is purely masculine, but in James' eyes it is all the same.

Blair looks up as James enters the room. This man still draws him as much as when he first seen him. "James..."

"Yes?"

"We have to make some decisions that will affect both of us."

James sighs. "I know, Blair."

"What are you studying?"

"Police, I'm going for my detective badge."

"I'm taking anthropology courses as well as the standard college courses."

"A double load?"

Blair shrugs, "Not really. It's only a few extra courses."

"Anthropology and police are not exactly close professions."

"Oh, but they are. At least in a way. A detective goes in and looks for clues in a recent crime scene, right?"

"Yes, that's right."

"Well, an anthropologist does the same. The only difference is when I go in, the site is usually a few hundred years old."

"Sounds like you been studying anthropology for quite awhile."

Blair grins. "Well, I have in a way. I've been taking standard anthropology courses since I first came here. I have just about completed that stage of the degree. It wouldn't be hard to adjust it so it would fit in with your career choice better."

"What do you mean?"

"I would just have to take some extra courses to add forensic anthropology to my cultural anthropology career choice."

"You would do this for me?"

"Yes, but it would be for me, too. I would be able to help you and still keep up my choice of profession. Now that we have found each other, I don't want anything to come between us."

"I agree, Blair. Our soul bond is ancient and strong." James smiles roguishly. "I'm looking forward to our physical bond being as strong."

Blair blushes. "Uh, James, you realize we can't consummate our bond yet?"

"Yes," James sighs. "We must go see your family first."

"Also, the rest of my tribe including my Shaman."

"You have a Shaman?"

"Yes, it was he who encouraged me to follow my heart to you."

"Well, I think I like him already." James grins as he pulls Blair into an embrace. "Although, you realize we have to talk with Dean Henderson first about your plans. They will not let you off without finishing the time you have left here at college."

"I know. Should we do that now?"

"No, not yet. Let's cuddle and exchange details about our lives until now."

"Okay, James," Blair replies before kissing his sentinel and soul mate.

()()(())()()(())()()

Later in the day, James and Blair emerge from the bonding suite to look for Dean Henderson.

"Dean Henderson, may we talk with you?"

"Certainly, Blair. Why don't both of you come into my office."

James looks at Blair before speaking. "We talked this morning and came up with a solution for our careers to work together. Since I'm in police studies, Blair has decided to add forensic anthropology to his cultural studies. We realize that he must complete his studies here before he can move onto Rainier University."

Dean Henderson looks at the newly bonded pair. They don't appear any different than when they entered the bonding chamber. Other pairs, who have gone in for the first time, come out looking ravaged. However, it is no surprise to him that Blair has come up with a workable solution to their career dilemma.

"Yes, it is true Blair will have to complete his studies here. However, you must also return here and take courses with him to further develop your sentinel/guide partnership. It will most likely add another year to the time you both need to spend at Burton College. James, this will in turn set you behind your friends. You will still take some police studies courses, but the majority of your time will be spent learning to use your sentinel abilities. They have been kept muted for many years while you were searching for your guide."

"Yes, we understand," James replies and Blair nods his agreement.

"Dean Henderson, will it be possible for us to get leave from school for about two weeks?" Blair asks.

"Yes, it should be. Why, may I ask?"

"I would like to take James to meet my family before we consummate our bond."

"You haven't completed the bond?" asks a shocked Henderson.

Blair looks at him puzzed. "No, not yet. James has agreed to wait."

"Doesn't the bond compel you to consummate?"

"Yes, but we can control it. This is important to me, Dean Henderson."

"It can be dangerous to not fully...."

"I know what the studies say, Dean Henderson." Blair interrupts. "However, I believe we can control the urges until the time is right. We have had practice controlling our animalistic tendencies while as the panther and the wolf." Blair glances shyly at James. "Nevertheless, I would like to get my family's blessing as soon as possible."

James takes Blair's hand and kisses it. "As would I," James growls out softly.

Dean Henderson takes a deep breath and shifts back in his chair warily. Within the past few moments, the sexual tension between the sentinel and guide has increased dramatically. Astonishingly, at least to Henderson, they are able to rein it in and harness it just below the surface. If one were to look closely, they could see it smoldering in their gaze whenever they looked at each other. Henderson decides that despite Blair's assurances, it would be in the best interest of everyone to allow them the leave right away. He hopes that the basic training that both have received will guide them through any hurdles the newness of the sentinel/guide bond might throw at them.

"Very well, I will arrange leave for both of you as soon as possible. James, I believe Simon wishes to say goodbye before returning to the University."

James nods, "as would I. Will you excuse us, Dean Henderson?"

"Certainly."

Henderson watches them leave and breathes a small sigh of relief. The energy that James and Blair are capable of projecting right now is a bit overwhelming. He will have to speak with Stevens about including instructions for them about containing that energy within themselves unless needed. The more time he spends around them, the more grateful he is that shapeshifting sentinels and guides are so rare. As fascinating as the study of them is, it is also a little frightening because so much is unknown. He picks up the phone and starts making arrangements for their immediate leave.

()()(())()()(())()()

"Simon is one of best friends. He's going to enter the police force at the end of the semester."

"Would you have as well?"

"No, I took an extra year off and worked on his uncle's ranch. So you see, even with the extra time we have to spend here, it is no hardship for me. Besides, I want to be by your side, Blair."

"So do I, James."

~~~~~~~~~

James knocks on Simon's temporary dorm room door.

Simon opens the door for his visitors. "Come in, you two. You know, don't you, the stir you created by coming back as a panther and a wolf?"

Blair grins and laughs softly. "Yeah, we do. You have to admit the looks on their faces was worth it."

James laughs. "I see I'm going to have some problems with your sense of humor."

"But you love it, don't you? Come on, admit it."

"Oh, alright. Yes, it was fun watching the reactions."

Simon shakes his head at them. "You know that stunt won't work for long. I imagine word is already going out about you two. The first known shapeshifting pair in years."

James grimaces slightly. "Oh joy, more notoriety that I don't need."

Blair looks at him confused.

"I was the first son of a Lord. I was very relieved when my father renounced his title. Being a member of royalty is very confining. I had to have guards all the time."

"You, needing guards?" Blair looks over James' muscular form. "I just can't see it," he jokes as he strokes James' chest.

James grabs Blair into a hug and ruffles his hair. "You better be careful or..."

"Or what?"

"This," James growls as he tickles Blair.

Blair squirms and laughs. "Okay, okay. I surrender."

Simon smiles at the pair. While he knows they just met for the first time yesterday, they behave as if they have known each other for years. Perhaps they have. "Well, I can see you are both in good hands. I trust your bonding night well?"

Blair blushes and ducks his head.

"Actually, Simon, we haven't had it yet. Blair insists on me meeting his family first. I seem to have a true virgin mate."

"In more ways than you know," Blair murmurs.

"What is that, Blair?"

"I have turned down all offers of companionship while waiting for you to come for me."

"All?"

"Yes."

It is James' turn to blush. "I don't know what to say, Blair. I wish I could offer you the same gift, but I cannot."

Blair cups James' cheek and kisses him. "I do not begrudge you your experiences. It is good that one of us will know what to do when the time comes."

"You are too good for me." James returns the kiss.

"No more so than you are for me."

Simon clears his throat. "Would you like to be alone?"

Blair turns to look at Simon. "Sorry, Simon, that was a little rude of us."

"No need to be sorry, Blair. I'm happy that you have found each other and it only proves to me what a good match you two are."

"What are you going to do, Simon?" James asks.

"I have to go back to Rainier University. I don't have much time left to complete the current studies before reporting to the force."

"Good luck and keep in touch."

"You as well, both of you." Simon shakes James' and Blair's hand before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~

"I like your friend."

James smiles. "He has helped me with my sentinel abilities, at least what I was capable of with the medications."

"You are not on the medications any longer, are you?"

"No. I will not need them any more. I have my true guide with me now."

They embrace and quietly begin to plan the visit to Blair's home.

()()(())()()(())()()

Dean Henderson summons them the next morning to his office.

"Welcome, James and Blair. I have arranged for the leave you asked for. You have been cleared for two weeks starting immediately. I won't bother to ask where you are going since Blair never revealed where his home is. The education leave grants you both unlimited travel." He hands each of them a pass.

"Thank you, Dean Henderson." Blair speaks for both of them. "We will leave right away. It is a long trek to my home and I'm eager for James to see it."

()()(())()()(())()()

They grab their packs and start out as soon as they leave Dean Henderson's office.

"So where exactly is your village, Blair?"

"It's in the heart of the protected forest you and Simon went to while at Burton College."

"I thought no one lived there."

Blair smiles wickedly. "Yes, that is the common belief. However, my tribe has lived within its protection for many centuries."

"Do your parents live there?"

"My mother does. I'm not sure where my father is or even who he is. Naomi never told me."

"Naomi?"

"My mother's name. She likes to be called that. Although, the whole tribe is my family."

James nods his understanding. "You mentioned a shaman?"

"Uh huh, Shaman oversees the village. He looks after our health and safety with his mate."

"What is his name?"

"Shaman," Blair answers, as he grins mischievously.

"Okay, okay," James laughs as he rubs a hand over the top of Blair's head.

~~~~~~~~~

They make good time despite being careful that they are not followed. Soon they are deep within the forest.

"James, please let me do the talking at first. My people are cautious around strangers."

"Alright, Blair."

Blair leads James into the village and stops. It has been almost four years since he left.

Maigret is the first to notice them.

"Blair," she calls out as she hugs him. "It is good to see you again. Who do you have with you?"

Blair takes James' hand and pulls him forward. "This is James, my mate."

"Welcome, James."

"Thank you, ...."

Blair grins. "This is Maigret. Where is Naomi and the Shaman?"

"Shaman is in his hut and Naomi is around here somewhere. Do you want me to find her?"

"Please, Maigret. We will be at the Shaman's."

Along the way to the Shaman, they are greeted by several villagers who all accept James graciously.

~~~~~~~~~

"Shaman?" Blair calls out as they reach his hut.

"Is that you, Blair?"

"Yes, Shaman. May we enter?"

"Yes."

Blair and James enter the hut.

"Shaman, this is my mate and sentinel, James Ellison. He is a shapeshifter like me. James is able to become a panther."

The Shaman stands up and walks around James. "Kneel, James."

James glances at Blair, who smiles encouragement, and kneels.

The Shaman places his hands on James' shoulders and closes his eyes. After several minutes, he smiles.

"You have found your destiny, Blair. It is a good one and James is a good mate for you."

Blair kneels beside James and takes his hand. "Thank you, Shaman. Our souls recognized each other when we met face to face. Will you perform the joining ceremony?"

"Yes, it will be my pleasure. Have you spoken to Naomi yet?"

Blair bows his head before he speaks. "No, I could not see her when we came to your hut. Maigret says she is here, though."

"Yes, Naomi is in the village right now. A warning for you, Blair, she may not be as open to accepting your mate at first. Naomi always hoped you would return here permanently."

"I know, Shaman. However, my place is at James' side. We will continue to visit."

"More often than you have so far, I hope."

Blair blushes at the gentle rebuke. "Yes, Shaman. I felt that I had to remain at College for my destiny to find me, and he did." He smiles softly at James.

"I know this, but you are together now. Go find Naomi and we will prepare for the ceremony." The Shaman says as his mate enters and steps to his side.

"Yes, Shaman and thank you."

"Thank you, Shaman." James seconds, speaking for the first time.

~~~~~~~~~

They exit the Shaman's hut and begin to search for Naomi.

()()(())()()(())()()

At the far side of the village, Maigret finds Naomi.

"Naomi, why don't you come into the village and welcome Blair back?"

"He won't be staying." Naomi replies with tears in her eyes. "I knew this would happen if he left us."

"Because he has found a mate?"

"Yes. I tried to prevent it, but I failed."

"Oh why, Naomi? You know you have no right to interfere in his destiny."

"I wanted my baby with me always."

"He is in spirit."

"But not always in body."

"No, that is impossible. His mate has a life in the outside world and Blair will be sharing it with him. His mate, James, is very strong and will protect him. I would have to say as fiercely as Blair will protect him."

Maigret hugs Naomi tightly as she attempts to comfort her.

"Blair will always be your son and he loves you."

"I know. I love him, too."

"Then expand your love for him to include James. They will be together now. Blair has taken James to the Shaman's. If I am not mistaken, he is asking the Shaman to perform the joining ceremony. You should go there and welcome both of them."

"Oh, Maigret, I feel as if I'm losing a part of myself."

"Don't be silly, Naomi. Think of it this way : you are not losing a son, you are gaining another one. Accept it and be happy for them."

Naomi takes a deep breath and wipes her eyes. "I know you speak true, Maigret, but I still hoped for it to be different."

"Can you honestly say and believe that Blair would have been happy staying here?"

"He could have found a mate here."

"But would he have been truly happy."

Naomi sighs. "No, he wouldn't have been."

"His heart's destiny lay beyond our sheltering forest. If you would look honestly into their eyes, you will see the truth. Their bond is already set even without the Shaman's joining ceremony."

Naomi looks toward the village and sees them exiting the Shaman's hut.

Maigret follows her gaze and sees them as well.

"They will search for you, Naomi. Will you accept them and their bond?"

Naomi looks at Maigret before looking back at Blair and James. She sighs. "It is not a change I wanted to see, but I will accept it. They are truly happy together?"

"Yes, they are. You will see this shortly for yourself. They have spotted us. Let's go forward and meet them."

Naomi smiles tremulously and takes a deep breath to fortify herself. "Yes, Maigret."

They move forward to meet Blair and James at the halfway point.

~~~~~~~~~

"Naomi, this is James. He is my soul mate. I have asked the Shaman to perform the joining ceremony."

"Welcome home, Blair. Hello, James, it is nice to meet you. Maigret told me you were visiting the Shaman."

Blair studies his mother closely. "You are happy for us, aren't you?"

Naomi smiles. "Yes, I am. Although, I can't deny I had hoped you would return to live here."

Blair hugs Naomi. "I love you, Naomi, and nothing will change that. However, my place and destiny lies at James' side. Please accept this and be happy for us."

Naomi hugs Blair in return. "I love you, Blair. I will accept this. I might need a little time though. I am happy that you have found your destiny."

Blair pulls back to look at Naomi's face. "We cannot delay the ceremony."

"I know."

"James, will you stay with Naomi and Maigret for a little while. I forgot to ask the Shaman something."

"Yes, Blair. It will give us a chance to get to know each other."

Blair smiles and kisses James. As he pulls away, he whispers. "Please don't listen in on my conversation with the Shaman."

James smiles and says softly. "I won't."

Maigret takes both James and Naomi's arms and leads them to Naomi's hut.

Blair watches them go fondly before going back to the Shaman's.

~~~~~~~~~

"Shaman?"

"Yes, Blair?"

"I have a favor to ask of you for our joining ceremony."

"What is it?"

"Please leave out my ability to become a woman. I wish to tell James myself later."

"You haven't told him?"

"No, not yet."

"You should not keep secrets from your mate."

"I know. It will be only for a little while. I wish it to be a surprise for him."

The Shaman chuckles softly. "It will be, Blair. Okay, I will leave it out. However, don't delay too long in telling him."

"I won't, Shaman. Thank you."

Blair leaves to rejoin the others. He is sure that Naomi is grilling James about himself.

()()(())()()(())()()

The Next Day

Blair and James kneel before the Shaman with the whole village looking on.

"We are gathered here today to witness the joining of these two men. Already, their soul bond is strong." The Shaman places a hand on each one of their heads. "The son of our village, Blair, has brought home his destined mate, James. Let them be joined for all of eternity, in all of their forms, in the eyes of all."

Blair and James morph to their animal forms under the Shaman's hands and then back to human form.

"Rise, Blair and James. You are now joined."

"Thank you, Shaman," Blair says and James repeats his words to the Shaman. They embrace and turn to face their witnesses.

The villagers move forward to congratulate the pair.

~~~~~~~~~

Maigret hugs them both. "Trust you to find another shapeshifter, Blair. Both of you be happy."

"Thank you, Maigret. You will look after Naomi for me?"

"Certainly."

Naomi steps forward to embrace them. "May your lives be full of joy." She steps back and looks sternly at Blair. "I'll have you know, young man, that I can take care of myself."

"I know, Naomi, but it will make me feel better having Maigret helping you as well."

Maigret places an arm around Naomi's shoulders. "Don't worry, Blair. I'll keep Naomi out of trouble."

"Thank you." Blair looks at James, who nods at the unspoken question. "We should go. Our honeymoon awaits us."

"Take care, Naomi and Maigret. You are welcome to visit us anytime and I'll be sure to bring Blair back for frequent visits as well."

Naomi smiles gratefully at her new son. "Thank you, James."

Blair and James leave the village for a location Blair has picked out.

()()(())()()(())()()

They exit the forest to find a small pond and waterfall.

James looks around. "It's beautiful, Blair."

Blair smiles. "Yes, it is. It is where we have all purification done before ceremonies."

"Why didn't we have this done before our joining ceremony?"

"Because at the joining ceremony, one accepts their mate with all flaws and blessings. If one required purification first, it would make the bonding fragile and susceptible to damage. We have no fear of that. Our bonding ceremony only strengthened our bond and allowed it to be witnessed in this lifetime."

James pulls Blair into his arms. "Our souls are one and soon our bodies will be one as well." James kisses Blair.

No more words are spoken as they slowly disrobe each other. Fully appreciating the other's body for the first time.

James lays Blair down on the blanket they had spread out earlier. They exchange kisses, each one getter more heated as their arousal heightens.

Blair arches his throat, silently offering his surrender and body.

James growls softly and begins to mark his mate's neck and shoulders. Blair whimpers breathlessly as new sensations sweep through him. James' hands stroke down his body searching out all the sensitive places.

Open mouth kisses move down Blair's chest as James explores all the different tastes available. The slight cinnamon tang of the nipples drives him on to discover the wealth of guide's cock and natural essence.

"James...." Blair moans as he strokes his mate's head. Never has he dreamed it would feel this way. The wet warmth of James' mouth on him is setting fire to his skin and blood. He tries to pull James up so he could share in the sensations buffeting his system, but he only growls softly around him.

Blair arches up into James' mouth and comes for the first time. He cries out softly as James swallows his cream.

James moves slowly up Blair's body. "Love this taste," he whispers to his sated mate. "I intend on drinking the Essence of Blair often."

Blair licks his lips and raises glazed eyes to see his sentinel. "James, that was incredible."

"That's only the tip of the iceberg." James kisses Blair sharing the taste while reaching for the pot of oil that the Shaman gave him after the ceremony. "It will get better, I promise you."

He dips his fingers into the lightly spiced herbal oil and strokes Blair's perineum. He coats the area completely with the slippery wetness teasing at the edges of the anus.

"You trust me, Blair?"

"With my life."

James smiles and kisses Blair deeply. "Relax for me and rest your hips on my thighs."

Blair shifts himself into position, wide open with his legs on either side of James' body. He can feel James' erection brushing against his inner thighs.

James strokes more firmly against the budding anus slowly opening up his heart's body. One finger slips in and spreads the oil along the inner walls.

Blair groans as the second fingers enters him and begins to scissor. "So full, James," he pants.

"I know, Blair. Relax for me." James strokes Blair's stomach and hip with his other hand. He slowly works at stretching him. Soon, Blair is accepting three fingers and pushing himself onto them further.

Blair's eyes are at half-mast and he's panting. One hand reaches for James' as James carefully enters him for the first time.

James entwines his fingers with Blair's.

Blair yelps as his prostate is rubbed against by the head of James' cock.

James chuckles lightly, as Blair squeezes his hand. "That was your prostate, my sweet guide." James strokes Blair's renewed erection in time with his movements inside, leaving Blair with no doubts that his sentinel is claiming him.

Blair bucks against James straining for the elusive moment when climax hits him. As he comes for the second time, coating his chest and James' hand, James comes as well, deep inside him.

Their joined climax is shouted by both announcing without a doubt that their joining of souls was completed by the joining of the bodies.

James carefully withdraws and embraces Blair. They kiss before lying side by side letting the light breeze cool their passion heated bodies.

"My guide and heart, now we are joined both in spirit and body."

"Yes, my sentinel, destiny has fulfilled her promise to us. Once again, we are together."

They go to sleep in each other's arms.

()()(())()()(())()()

Dusk is falling when James and Blair wake up. They kiss gently to reaffirm their bond before getting up to wash their sticky bodies in the lake.

Blair waits until James' back is turned before splashing him.

"Blair," James roars and lunges toward his mate.

Blair laughs and makes a shallow dive to escape.

"Just you wait until I get my hands on you," James mock threatens.

Blair resurfaces by the waterfall, the spray acting as a playful aura around his body. "Come and get me, James."

James smiles at Blair before diving underwater. He comes up behind Blair and wraps his arms around him. "I've got you now."

Soft laughter escapes Blair in response to James' growl. "Okay, okay, I surrender." Blair turns in James' arms and kisses him passionately.

James gasps and looks up at the setting sun which is turning the lake to fire.

"We should go to shore before it gets dark."

"It will be okay, James. There's a full moon tonight. It will provide more than enough light for us."

James guides them to the shore. He is eager to follow Blair up on the offer his kiss gave.

~~~~~~~~

True to Blair's words, the moon rises and paints the lake and surrounding meadow in its silvery light. The stars slowly come out offering more light as they fill the inky blackness of the sky.

~~~~~~~~

Blair transforms into the wolf and nudges James with his muzzle. James growls softly and morphs into the panther.

The wolf darts off. At the end of the clearing, he glances back to challenge the panther to follow. The panther takes up the challenge and bounds toward the wolf. The wolf leads the panther on a merry chase around the clearing, obeying the boundaries and not entering into the forest. Soon the panther is within reach and gathers its powerful hind legs up to leap. He lands on top of the wolf, pushing him into the soft meadow grass. To reinforce his victory in the capture, the panther grabs the scruff of the wolf's neck in its teeth but doesn't draw blood. The wolf ceases its struggles to get free and whimpers softly in submission.

The panther's soft growl slowly turns into a rumbling purr. In response to this, the wolf curls its tail around his flank and yips softly in encouragement.

The panther's penis exits its ebony sheath. He releases his hold on the wolf's neck to lick at the entrance into it's soulmate's body.

The wolf drops his upper body to the ground while raising his hindquarters. He revels in the intoxicating sensations sweeping his body as the panther prepares him. His own cock is exposing itself slowly to the air as he becomes aroused.

The panther growls softly, as the scent of his aroused guide swirls around him. He rears up over the wolf's body and enters carefully.

Their mating is primal, but loving, as if their human halves were controlling them still. The wolf howls as he ejaculates and the panther roars as his climax is torn from him. The panther stays within the wolf until he softens completely and slips from his beloved's body.

The wolf falls to the grass and rolls over to present its vulnerable belly.

The panther licks up the semen from the wolf's pelt. Then he licks the wolf's panting muzzle.

The wolf curls up on its side to sleep with the panther laying at an angle beside him. The panther lays its head on the wolf's side and places one ebony paw over one of the wolf's.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair and James stay in the meadow for the next four days before returning to the village.

It is a very relaxed pair that enters the village.

"Welcome back," the Shaman greets them.

"Thank you, Shaman," Blair answers.

"I trust the bonding went well."

Blair looks up at his sentinel. "Yes, Shaman."

James smiles and kisses Blair's upturned lips. "Yes, it did go well."

"I can see that the sexual tension that arced between you two is more muted and under control. Remember to maintain and use the spiritual link that acts as invisible chain to each of your souls. It will serve you well in your lives together."

"Thank you, Shaman," James answers reverently. He has come to respect this man in the short time he has known him. "We will follow your advice." James pulls Blair closer to his side.

"Your mother is waiting in her hut for you, Blair."

Blair nods his appreciation of the information. "If we don't see you before we leave, thank you for all you have done for us."

"You are welcome, Blair. May your life with James be full of bounty." With these words, the Shaman leaves them to make their goodbyes with the rest of the villagers.

~~~~~~~~

Blair and James slowly make their way to Naomi's hut exchanging words of greeting and goodbyes with all they meet. When they arrive, they find Naomi and Maigret sitting at the table.

"Naomi," Blair starts to speak.

Naomi looks up her son and his mate. "I know, Blair. It is time for you to go. I'll be fine. Maigret will be here to help me. James, you'll take care of my baby."

"Yes, Naomi. I will take care of him. He is the other half of my heart and soul."

Naomi smiles bravely at them both. Saying goodbye is still hard for her, but knowing that Blair is happy helps a lot. "Thank you, James."

"Naomi, you are always welcome wherever we are. If you do not wish to travel alone, Maigret can travel with you." Blair looks imploringly at Maigret as he says this.

"Yes, Naomi, we can always visit them." Maigret reassures Naomi.

"Both of you will be always welcome in our home." James says as he kisses the cheeks of both women.

Blair hugs them and kisses their cheeks as well. "Be well, Naomi and Maigret."

~~~~~~~~

James and Blair leave the village to head back to Burton College for a quick stop before heading onto James' parents.

()()(())()()(())()()

Burton College

James and Blair enter the campus.

"Feels strange to be here again," Blair comments. "Especially, after spending time with my family."

"It is different, alright." James agrees while mentally comparing the modern campus with the natural splendor of Blair's home. "How could you stand to leave your home the first time?"

Blair smiles and kisses James' cheek. "Because I had to find you, my heart."

James grins and pulls Blair in for a hug. "I have to thank you for that."

"Uh huh," Blair agrees mischievously.

James laughs. "Come on, we better find the dean."

~~~~~~~~

They find Dean Henderson in his office.

"Welcome back, James and Blair. You are back sooner than I expected."

"We just wanted to stop in before going to see my parents." James tells him.

"I trust the bonding went well." Henderson asks hopefully.

"Yes, it did." Blair replies as he takes James' hand and kisses it. "James was wonderful."

James blushes slightly at the praise.

"Good, I'm glad to hear it." Henderson breathes a little easier. It is good to have the bonding confirmed, although the sexual energy that the pair broadcasted before is muted now. "Please give my best to your parents, James."

"I will, Dean Henderson."

James and Blair leave Henderson's office and continue on to William Ellison's estate.

()()(())()()(())()()

"What are your parents like, James?" Blair asks anxiously after they leave campus grounds. This time they are traveling by vehicle.

"They were very supportive of me. Father was proud that I was a sentinel."

"Did you tell them that you have a guide now?"

"No, I wanted to surprise them."

Blair chews nervously on his lip. "What would they think if the guide is male?"

James smiles reassuringly at Blair. "Please don't worry, Blair. It will be alright. I told them when I was seven that my guide was male."

"How could you know? I was just born then."

"I know," James smiles mysteriously. "I've always known that you were male, Blair."

Blair looks at James' smiling face and sighs. He will trust in his sentinel. James would not lie to him. He moves closer to James and leans against him.

James places one arm around Blair and steers with his left hand. James is thankful that the new vehicles don't require much effort to drive. Although the education system might have been easier in the past, the proper control of the vehicles was not.

"Do you have any other family than your parents?" Blair asks softly.

"I have a younger brother, Stephan. He's studying to be a scientist and economics. He's going to help out Father in the family business."

"Is he a sentinel?"

"No, just me."

"Any other family?"

"A few cousins here and there."

"Will be meeting them all?" Blair asks, still feeling a little nervous.

"No, probably just my parents. Although, Stephan might be home as well. Don't worry, Blair. They'll love you just as much as I do." James reassures him.

The rest of the trip is made in silence.

()()(())()()(())()()

Soon the newly bonded pair enter through the estate's gates and the mansion is revealed.

"Wow," Blair says breathlessly.

James laughs as he stops in front of the house. "It is large, but it's very well organized inside. Besides the people who live here are all nice."

Blair looks up James and James kisses him.

"Come on, everyone will want to meet you." James pulls Blair from vehicle and cradles him against his side as he knocks on the door.

The door is opened by an elderly servant.

"Hi, Jeffreys." James greets the servant. "I'm back. Are my parents here?"

"Yes, they are. Welcome home, James." Jeffreys looks curiously at Blair.

James grins and introduces him. "This is my guide, Blair."

"Welcome Blair. I'm glad that James has found you, at last."

Blair blushes and says softly. "Thank you, Jeffreys."

James leads Blair inside. "Could you let my parents know I'm here and that I have a surprise for them? We are just going to drop our bags in my room first."

"Certainly, shall I tell them you will meet them in the family room?"

"Yes, that'll be fine." James agrees.

~~~~~~~

They drop their bags off and make their way to the family room.

Blair pulls James to a stop just outside of the closed door. "Are you sure they will like me?"

"Yes, Blair. They will love you." James kisses Blair. "Trust me."

"I do, James."

James opens the door and ushers Blair in. Inside there are three people waiting.

"Hello, Mother and Father. Hello, Stephan."

"What surprise do you have for us, son?" William asks curiously. He is still waiting for James to introduce his friend. "Simon couldn't come with you this time?"

James grins. "No, Simon is busy with his exams. My surprise is Blair." James pulls a reluctant Blair to stand beside him.

James' family all say hello to Blair before looking at James curiously. They all suspect there is something more going on. James is bursting with happiness.

"Blair is my guide."

"That is wonderful news, dear." Grace says as she gets up to hug Blair. "Welcome to the family, Blair."

"Thank you,...." Blair is unsure of what to call her.

Grace smiles. "Call me Mother, same as James does."

William shakes Blair's hand. "Call me Father, Blair. I'm glad you two have found each other."

Stephan hugs Blair and James in turn. "I'm Stephan. Great to have you with us."

Blair smiles tremulously. "You don't mind that I'm a male?"

James family smile at Blair.

"Of course not, Blair. We've had several years to get used to the idea." William reassures Blair. He smiles lovingly at Grace before continuing. "We known James' guide would be male since he was seven. He came bursting into our bedroom one night to tell us his guide was born and that he was male."

"What about heirs?"

"That's what we have Stephan for," William jokes as he slaps Stephan's shoulder lightly.

Blair smiles, finally reassured that everything is okay.

"See, Blair, I told you they would love you." James whispers into Blair's ear.

"Yes, James." Blair says sentinel soft.

"Dinner will be ready soon." Grace tells everyone. "Why don't you all freshen up?"

Everyone leaves the family room to get ready for dinner.

~~~~~~~

In James' bedroom, Blair turns to James. "Would you mind if I have one more secret to tell you?"

James looks at Blair surprised. "I thought you told me everything already."

"Not quite." Blair says seriously. "Did you ever wonder why the Shaman worded our joining ceremony so vaguely?"

"No, but then I didn't have anything to compare it to."

"I have one more thing to reveal to you."

"Will I like it?"

Blair smiles for the first time. "I believe so."

"Tell me, then."

"I want to tell your family, too."

"Okay." James says expectantly.

"Will you trust me and I'll tell you and your family after dinner."

"Very well, you have my love and trust."

"Thank you, James."

They go down to dinner.

()()(())()()(())()()

After an enjoyable dinner, the diners return to the family room to continue their conversation. The conversation includes the subject of James and Blair being a shapeshifting sentinel and guide. This is met well, as everyone had heard rumors of a panther and wolf coming onto the Burton campus and changing into men.

Blair sits nervously beside James. He hasn't changed in front of people since he was sixteen.

James sensing Blair's nervousness, hugs him to his side in comfort.

Blair smiles up at James.

Blair clears his throat and stands up. "James has agreed to let me tell everyone at once. I've kept one secret from him. It's not a bad one. In fact, I'm sure everyone will like it. " Blair chatters nervously.

James takes Blair's hand and squeezes it gently.

Blair smiles tremulously down at James. He pulls his hand away and walks to the end of the room. He turns to face everyone. "Perhaps it would be better to just show you."

Blair takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. A bright shimmering force swirls around Blair briefly concealing him the Ellisons' eyes. When Blair is revealed again, a woman stands in his place wearing the same clothing.

"Blair?" James asks hesitantly.

Blair opens his eyes. "Yes, James, it is me," Blair replies in a voice a few octaves higher than before.

James gets up to examine his mate. Blair's facial features have softened a little, but he is still superficially recognizable. His body is definitely female. The soft swell of breasts raises the front of his shirt and he somehow appears shapelier. Although it is difficult to tell this in his present clothing. The scent from Blair is a lighter musk than usual.

"That is the scent I picked up the first day we met." James exclaims.

Blair smiles. "Yes, I used all three forms to throw you off the scent. It has always been my test for my true mate when they sent sentinels to find me. Only my true mate would be able to track me in all three forms."

Blair turns to the elder Ellisons and Stephan. They all wear slightly shocked expressions. "For my people, being a changeling is rare. My Shaman said I was blessed by the spirits. Especially, when I became a woman on my sixteenth birthday. He assured me that I was a fully functional woman."

"Fully functional?" Stephan says in awe. "Blair, do you realize how rare that is?"

Blair shakes his head, his waist length curls softly swishing.

"Admittedly yours and James' ability to become a wolf and a panther are very rare, but to be able to change to a fully functional woman is extremely rare. Although there have been a few cases where a male can change to a woman, they are unable to bear children in either form." Stephan tells everyone.

"Since we know James is fertile from the tests performed when he was child, this means that..." Stephan continues.

"That we will be able to have children," James finishes as he stares wondrously into Blair's eyes.

Blair nods. "Yes, James. I want to give you a child."

"Will you have to remain as a woman during your pregnancy?" James asks in hope. He loves Blair as a man.

Blair shakes his head slowly. "No, only during conception and delivery. My male form will be able to carry the baby safely."

Grace and William hug the female form of Blair.

"Son, uh daughter, you have made us very happy." William tells Blair.

"Yes, Dear, you are truly a treasure." Grace agrees with her husband. Tears of happiness are visible in her eyes.

"James, you are a very lucky man." Stephan tells his brother as he hugs a surprised Blair.

"Yes, I am." James says as he pulls Blair in his arms.

"You don't mind me withholding this?" Blair asks.

"No, my sweet Blair, I love you no matter which form you are in. You have given me and my family a gift that we never expected."

Blair smiles and says softly. "Please close your eyes." He then changes back to his male form.

()()()()()()()()()

my heart's destiny part 2

_ INCLUDEPICTURE "http://www.brain-insane.com/SentinelAndGuide/_themes/cascade/acasrule.gif" \* MERGEFORMATINET ___

James turns to Blair once they enter the bedroom.

"You have given me so much, Blair."

"I want to give you all that I am, James."

James smiles. "You know that you aren't the first for me to make love to."

Blair frowns slightly. "I know. You told me before our joining ceremony."

"What I didn't tell you was that I was always the top. I too have a virginity to offer you, my anal virginity. I wanted to tell you after you met my family."

Blair is speechless for a moment. "You want to give me your virginity?"

"Yes, Blair. Will you accept?" James takes both of Blair's hands in his.

"Yes, James, I will."

James smiles and kisses Blair.

"Blair, you realize that I would have offered this no matter what happened today."

Blair looks trustingly up into James' eyes. "I know."

They slowly undress each other.

Blair guides James down onto the bed and begins to worship his sentinel's body. He places tender kisses all over James face before moving down his body. Blair spends several minutes paying homage to James nipples, leaving him gasping and painfully aroused.

"Blair," James pleads as he arches his hips in a mute plea.

Blair strokes James' side soothingly with one hand while reaching for the oil with the other. He nudges James' legs apart and settles between them. With a slick finger, he gently massages the crease.

"More please," James pants.

Blair kisses James' straining cock while strongly rubbing his anus.

James arches suddenly downward forcing Blair's finger into him. He grimaces at the unexpected sensation. Although he knew it might hurt a little, he wasn't prepared for the level it was at. He tries to pull away.

Blair's hand follows him and doesn't remove his finger. He strokes James' stomach.

"James," Blair calls softly. "Relax, my heart."

James struggles to obey.

Blair, watching his face, realizes his senses are set too high. "James, dial it down slowly."

James follows Blair's gentle coaxing and relaxes. The pain abates and his waning erection returns.

"I'm ready, Blair."

Blair kisses him. "Let me show you how good you made me feel when doing this."

James moans softly as Blair begins to move his finger slowly in and out.

Blair slowly works up to three fingers and uses lots of oil.

"Now, Blair," James urges as he presses back on Blair's fingers.

"Do you want to be on your front or back?" Blair asks softly.

"I want to watch you."

Blair slicks up his cock and nudges at James' entrance. He enters slowly, keeping watch on his sentinel's expressions.

James groans as Blair comes to rest fully inside him. "We are one."

"Yes, James," Blair replies as he waits for James to adjust to him.

James bucks up slightly indicating he is ready for more.

Blair begins to move slowly.

James squeezes him internally, impatient with the slow pace.

"James," Blair gasps.

James reaches up to caress Blair's face. "I won't break, move faster."

Blair moves faster. He strokes James' cock in time to his movements.

James arches and the angle changes. Now Blair is striking his prostate with every thrust. James cries out as he comes.

The rhythmic squeezing of James' channel forces Blair's orgasm.

"James," he calls out as he comes. Blair collapses to James' chest and James wraps his arms around him. Blair softens and is expelled from James' body.

After they catch their breath, Blair gently cleans James and himself with a damp cloth. He kisses James. "Thank you for your gift."

"It was my pleasure, Blair. I love you."

"I love you, James." Blair replies as he snuggles into James' embrace.

They slip into sleep still within each other's arms.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next week is spent visiting with the Ellisons and the relatives who come to see James' guide. All who observe the couple are pleased with the obvious happiness that James and Blair share.

Too soon, it is time for them to return to Burton College.

~~~~~~~

"Father, we have to return. Our travel passes end tomorrow." James tells his family at breakfast.

"I understand. You both will visit as often as you can?"

"Yes," James agrees with Blair adding his silent agreement.

"Have you decided on a plan for both of your studies?" Stephan asks.

Blair nods. "Yes, we have. James will remain in police studies while I continue my anthropology ones. I will add forensic anthropology courses to my course load so I can help him in the field."

"Will that set you back?"

"No," Blair reaches and joins hands with James. "I have already started on the anthropology courses. So except for a few minor adjustments, we should both finish at the same time."

"Also, with the classes we will be taking at Burton College, Blair will be catch up to the level I'm at Rainier University. Dean Henderson said he would arrange it all when we stopped in at the College on the way here," James continues the explanation.

Stephan chuckles. "Trust you to have everything already worked out."

James and Blair join in with his laughter.

~~~~~~~

After breakfast, final farewells are said to everyone and James and Blair start back to Burton College.

()()(())()()(())()()

At Burton College, they throw themselves into the additional classes they are required to take. They consistently surprise the instructors and classmates with the level of communication they share and what they are capable of.

~~~~~~~

Professor Stevens meets with Dean Henderson for an update meeting on James and Blair.

"How is our shapeshifting Sentinel and Guide doing?" Henderson asks.

"Quite well. They are pushing past all known boundaries. It is amazing what they are capable of considering how new their bonding is." Stevens gushes excitedly.

Henderson chuckles. "I see. Will you be able to content yourself to teaching regular Sentinels and Guides after they leave?"

Stevens thinks quietly for moment before nodding. "Yes, each pair is a challenge. However, even you have to agree what a delight it is to be teaching such an unusual pair."

"Yes, I do agree. Although, I would have to say they are teaching us just as much as we are teaching them."

Stevens nods gravely. "Your right, of course. I don't understand how Blair can handle such a large course load on top of training sessions with James."

Henderson leans back in his chair. "Blair has always taken several classes at once. He has been a challenge to keep ahead of since he came here. Did you know he had no formal schooling before enrolling at Burton College?"

"No, I didn't," says a surprised Stevens. "I thought it was required to attend school."

"It is, but somehow Blair managed to get around that. He'd told me that he and his mother had travelled quite a bit and he requested that he be allowed to challenge the entrance exams."

"I assume you allowed it."

"Of course."

"How did he do?"

"Remarkably well. If I didn't know better, I would have assumed that he'd been in the schooling system all the time."

"So he is very bright."

"Extremely. When he came to me last year and requested that he be allowed to take some university classes, I agreed."

"What about his regular classes?"

"He was ahead in all of them as far as the instructors would allow."

"Hmm, how was James as a student overall?"

"Studious when he had to be. Although he tended to prefer the physical classes more."

"I remember teaching basic Sentinel studies to him. Did he take anything further on the subject?" Stevens asks curiously.

"No, I don't believe so. He found it quite frustrating to take the classes because his senses were dampened by medication."

"So this is the first time James and Blair have taken such intensive Sentinel/Guide classes."

"Yes."

Stevens shakes his head in wonder. "I would have to say, that makes them all the more impressive. We had an established Sentinel and Guide who had been together for ten years in class today and even they weren't able to match James' and Blair's results."

"Really? I wonder if they ability to shapeshift makes them stronger?"

"It is possible. We don't have any hard data on what a pair of shapeshifters is truly capable of. It was all lost or never written down. The only reference I was able to find was that a pair had existed several decades ago."

"How long ago exactly?"

"It doesn't really say. I would have to hazard a guess at around fifty or more years. There was a notation that they were never closely studied or even fully confirmed."

"So we are truly covering new ground with James and Blair," Henderson muses aloud.

"Yes, I'm trying to keep as accurate notes as I'm able to on their progress. I'm sure the other professors are doing the same. However, we still don't know anything about the bonding of a shapeshifter Sentinel and Guide."

"Yes, I know," Henderson nods regretfully. "However, I felt I had no choice in granting them travel time. I knew they would complete their bond away from any chance of scientific study."

"Do you mind me asking why you did it then?" Stevens asks, leaning forward in his chair, eager to hear the answer.

Henderson sighs. "They met with me the next day after they spent the night in the bonding chamber. I know from the records that all they did was sleep. The sexual energy that poured off them that day was like a palatable force. It was overwhelming. Blair insisted that James met with his family before bonding. It was imperative that their bond was completed as soon as possible and I couldn't see any way around it without trying to force to them bond here. And as history has told us, that is never a wise move. A forced bond shatters, leaving both the Sentinel and Guide floundering without any hope."

Stevens nods in agreement with Henderson's words. "I see. You are right about forced bondings. They never do work out. I don't suppose they would tell us what we want to know?"

Henderson laughs. "I not that brave. Be my guest and ask if you want to. Although I should warn you, even after they came back and confirmed their bonding, the energy I felt that day was still there. The only difference was it was muted and under control."

"Is that what the instructors sense about them? Several have mentioned an untapped energy that seems to swirl around them. I thought they were just be fanciful until I saw them in action today."

"It is quite possible. Personally, I do not want to push for answers on the subject from either James or Blair. I'm not afraid to admit that this energy they seem to possess scares me." Henderson says as he tries to suppress a shudder.

Stevens nods silently in agreement. He looks at the time. "Oh, look at what the time has gotten to be. I have a class to teach in ten minutes."

"Thanks for the update, Stevens."

"Certainly, Dean Henderson."

Professor Stevens hurries out on his way to class, leaving Henderson alone with his thoughts.

()()(())()()(())()()

Six months later, James and Blair have completed all of their classes at Burton College. They are both ready to enter Rainier University full time. However, they request a month off and they are granted the time. They use the vacation to visit their families.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair can't help but smile at his memories as they enter the Ellison estate. He has fond memories of his time spent here. Blair reaches out and grasps James' hand.

James glances at his guide and shares his smile. Life has treated them well so far. While the wait for Blair was long, it was worth it. Blair means more to him than the richest treasure ever found or to be found.

"Are your parents expecting us this time?" teases Blair.

"Yes, I phoned them."

"Good, I would hate to set a pattern of dropping in unannounced."

"Why? Isn't that we do with your family?"

"Oh no, the Shaman knows when visitors are expected."

James looks puzzled at Blair as they stop in front of the doors. "How does he know?"

Blair just smiles enigmatically.

James' further probing is forestalled by the door opening and his parents exiting the house.

"Come inside, James and Blair." Grace calls out.

Blair hops out of the vehicle and runs up the steps. "Hello, Mother and Father." He gives each of them a hug in turn. "It is great to see you again."

James comes up behind Blair and drapes an arm around Blair's shoulders. "Yes, it is. How has everyone been?"

"Fine, Son," William replies as he leads the way inside to the family room.

After everyone is seated, William makes an announcement. "James, I've invited all the relatives to come for a party in two days. It will be a chance for everyone to meet Blair."

James looks at Blair who swallows nervously. He leans close to his guide and whispers. "Relax my love, they will love you as much as I do."

Blair smiles and kisses James. Blair visibly relaxes against James.

Grace grins. "Don't worry so much, Blair. We're not a very large family. There will be friends there as well. Everyone I spoke with is eager to meet you."

"James, do you think Simon will be able to attend?" Williams asks.

"I'm not sure. I'll have to ask him."

Conversation switches to how Blair's studies went at Burton College while James phones Simon in the study.

~~~~~~~

"Hey, Simon," James says as soon as Simon picks up.

..."Hi, James."...

"Would you be able to get free in a couple of days?"...

..."Sorry, I can't. Things are a little crazy here at the station."...

"Nothing too serious, I hope."...

..."No, just a steady deluge of petty crime."...

"How are things going for you otherwise?"...

..."Great. I'm up for the Captain's exam next week."...

"That was quick."...

..."Yeah, they liked how I handled things on the Sanderson bust."...

James thinks for a moment. "Wasn't that the big case on white slaverly about two months ago?"...

..."Yes, it was."...

"Thought so, I read about in the newspaper. Good work on it."...

..."Thanks. How are things going for you and Blair?"...

"Really good, he's a quite a treasure."...

..."A treasure, eh?"...

"Yes, he is. We should be returning to Rainier in about a month. We're at my parents right now. In fact, that is why I called. They are throwing a party for us in a couple days so family and friends can meet Blair."...

..."Sorry I'm going to miss it. You will have to stop in sometime and visit me."...

"Will do. Take care of yourself, Simon."...

..."You too, James, and that goes for Blair too."...

"Of course! I'll always watch out for him. Bye, Simon."....

...."Bye, James." Simon responds with a chuckle.

~~~~~~~

James returns to Blair's side and Blair looks up at him.

"Simon can't make it at this time. He's up for the captain's exam next week."

"That's certainly a quick rise in command." William comments.

"Yeah, but he studied for it and his superiors are impressed with his performance so far. Did you know he was in on the Sanderson bust."

"No, I didn't. Dreadful business that was."

"Yes, it was." James turns to Blair. "We will just have to go visit him before going to Rainier."

"Yes, James, I would like to see him again." Blair says with a smile.

James sits down and hugs Blair to him.

The conversation turns to the party plans.

()()(())()()(())()()

The party goes well and James' words are proven true. Everyone enjoys meeting Blair. There are several congratulations on their bonding.

~~~~~~

The night after the party ends, James and Blair are laying in their bed.

"I told you that everyone would love you."

"Yes, James, I know." Blair answers with a tired smile.

"What do you think of them?"

"I like them. I had a lot of fun tonight." Blair yawns. "But to be honest, I am exhausted."

James kisses Blair. "Go to sleep, my Love." James pulls him into a loose embrace and they go to sleep.

()()(())()()(())()()

The rest of the week is spent visiting with the Ellisons. Everyone is sorry when it time for James and Blair to leave. They promise to return as soon as they are able.

They drive back to Burton College where they leave the vehicle and hike to Blair's forest home.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair and James approach the village cautiously. James wants to test out a theory that if they are stealthy enough, no one will know they are coming. Blair is willing to indulge his sentinel in this.

As they come to the edge of the forest, still concealed within its shelter, the Shaman calls out a greeting to them.

"How?" whispers James.

"We are always aware of anyone entering the forest. It is how we have managed to stay hidden from the outside world." Blair explains in a whisper.

Blair turns to address the Shaman. "Shaman, are you well?"

"Yes, Blair, everyone is. Have you come for a visit?"

"Yes, Shaman. Is Naomi in the village today?"

"Yes, I believe she and Maigret are in her hut." The Shaman looks sternly at Blair. "Did you tell James about everything?"

"Yes, Shaman," Blair says with a smile. He looks up into James' eyes. "I have told James about me being a changeling."

"Do you accept this part of Blair, James?"

"Yes, Shaman, I do."

"Very well, I glad there are no more secrets between you." The Shaman nods with approval as he says this. "Run along and visit Naomi. I'm sure she is eager to see you both."

Blair and James say goobye to the Shaman before continuing to Naomi's hut.

~~~~~~~~

Blair knocks on the door and they enter when they hear Naomi say to come in.

"Naomi, how are you?" Blair asks as he hugs his mother.

Naomi returns the hug. "I'm doing well. Are you done with college now?" Naomi hugs James as she continues to speak.

"Yes, we are taking a break before going to Rainier University," Blair answers.

"How long can you stay?"

"About a week, Naomi," James says. "We want to spend some time at the falls."

Naomi sighs before smiling again. "If that is all you can spend with me, it will be enough."

"Thank you for understanding, Naomi."

"Naomi, would you consider leaving the forest to meet James' family?" Blair asks.

Naomi looks at Maigret before silently nodding. "It would be okay if Maigret accompanied me?"

"Certainly, Naomi. Both you and Maigret will be welcome anytime at my parents' home. They extended the invitation before we came here." James assures Naomi.

The conversation turns to what Blair and James have been up to since Naomi last seen them.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next week is spent visiting everyone in the village and helping out wherever they could.

~~~~~~~~

Blair sits with Naomi alone in her hut. Maigret is showing James the surrounding forest and giving him lessons in what herbs are safe and what they are for.

"Are you truly happy, Blair?"

"Yes, I am. I never truly believed I could be this happy. James is good for me. He is a bit overprotective at times, but I can live with that."

"Does he listen to you?"

"Yes, he does. James values my opinions and trusts my judgement. We work well together as a team. Even the instructors at the College were impressed at how good we communicated with each other. I trust James, Naomi."

"I'm glad to hear that, Blair. Do you think you will ever return to stay here?"

"I honestly don't know. Perhaps sometime in the future, we might chose to live here. However, for now, we have both agreed to remain in the outside world. I believe that we are needed there."

Naomi looks down at her folded hands for a moment before replying. "I understand. Although, you cannot blame a mother for wanting her child near her even if he is a grown man."

Blair smiles gently and takes one of Naomi's hands in his. "No, one cannot blame a mother for wishing that."

Naomi squeezes Blair's hand in response. Words escape her for now. It is easy to see Blair's love for her in his eyes. Despite her wishes to the contrary, she has accepted that he belongs with James now. Naomi also trusts that James will look after his safety and well-being.

After several minutes, Naomi composes herself again enough to speak. "Why don't we go and find James and Maigret? I'm sure they won't mind some company."

Blair agrees and they exit the hut to find the others.

~~~~~~~~

The day is spent gathering herbs and preparing them for storage. In the morning, James and Blair will leave the village for the falls.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair arrive at the falls where they spent their honeymoon following the joining ceremony. The sun is shining and the grass seems to be an even more vibrant green. The sound of the falls is like music to their ears. They quickly set up camp and strip to take a refreshing swim.

After their swim, they let the cooling breeze and sun dry their bodies.

"James?"

"Yes, Blair."

"Would you be willing to take my final virginity?"

"I would be honored, Blair. Are you sure you are ready?"

"Yes, I am." Blair smiles up at James before stepping back. He quickly changes into his female form.

James looks over Blair for the first time as a woman. While he had seen him change before, Blair was wearing clothing. Blair is a beautiful woman. Blair's form is more slender than his masculine one. Her waist dips in slightly providing her with a muted hourglass figure. The legs curve just right down to dainty ankles and feet. Blair's breasts are high and firm. Her face is still Blair's but softer and more feminine.

Blair's eyes sparkle with amusement. She raises her arms to the side away from her body and spins slowly. Her waist length hair moving with her, allowing brief glimpses of a slender back.

"Do I pass inspection, James?" Blair asks with a soft chuckle.

"Yes, indeed. You are beautiful no matter which form you are in." James moves quickly toward Blair and picks her up in his arms.

Blair gasps and clutches at James' shoulders for balance. "Hey, take it easy. I'm no lightweight."

"I can manage. Besides, I like holding you in my arms." James bends down and captures Blair's lips.

James carries Blair to the blanket they had spread out earlier. He gently lowers his slight burden to the ground. James is determined to explore this new form in all ways.

Blair's hair fans out over the blanket, providing a soft cushion for her body.

James caresses Blair from head to foot learning all the variations between Blair's female and male bodies.

Blair arches up into James' touch as he fondles her breasts, lightly sucking on the nipples until they stand up firm.

"Please, James," Blair pleads with him to continue. Their mutual arousal is rising quickly. She can feel James' cock nudging against her thigh.

James pulls back slightly to survey his heart's destiny. Her lips are moist and slightly parted. Blair's thighs are parted to reveal the hidden treasure she is offering him. Her labia are dewy with arousal and slightly swollen. James runs his fingers lightly over her and Blair trembles in reaction.

"Take me please, James."

James leans down and kisses Blair with all the admiration and love within himself. "Yes, Blair," he whispers against her lips.

James moves between her widespread thighs and his cock nudges against her entrance.

"Yesss," hisses Blair as she arches against him, taking him partially into herself.

James groans softly as the slick wetness of Blair clings to his cock. He slowly moves into her, allowing her time to adjust.

Blair cries out as James pierces her hymen. Her vagina squeezes him in reaction to the unexpected pain. Her eyes close as she battles it.

James stills and then starts to withdraw.

"No, James," Blair pants as she crosses her legs across his lower back holding him inside. "Don't stop."

"But I'm hurting you," James protests.

"No, it's passed. Please continue."

James gently kisses her before slowly moving in her.

Soon Blair's arousal returns in full and she is arching into his thrusts. Blair comes first and her vaginal walls ripple over James' cock, massaging it to his climax. James grinds against Blair, pressing as deep as possible into her as he comes.

James collapses onto Blair, his arms braced on either side holding back some his weight. He is still embedded in her warm body.

The tiny aftershocks of their climaxes ripple through their systems.

After James recovers, he withdraws from Blair and is shocked by the slight traces of blood on his cock. "Are you okay, Blair?"

"Uh huh," murmurs Blair. She is quite content to remain where she is for now.

"There was bleeding," James continues to protest, his concern unalleviated by the blissful expression on Blair's face.

Blair opens her eyes and touches James' face with one hand. "James, it is only expected that I would bleed a little when you breached my hymen. Naomi warned me about it when I told her we planned to consummate our union in this way. I am unharmed."

"If you are sure," James responds uncertainly.

"I am. Thank you for the wonderful experience." Blair pulls James down into a kiss. "I want to rest for awhile now. Please lay beside me."

James lays down and pulls Blair into his arms. He is finally reassured that Blair is okay.

~~~~~~~~

James and Blair sleep for a couple of hours before getting up. They take another swim to cleanse themselves.

The next week is spent frolicking in the meadow and making love in all the forms available to them.

After the week is over, they reluctantly bid goodbye to the meadow and return to the village.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair quietly enter the village in the early morning hours. They go directly to Naomi's hut to spend a few more days with her.

Naomi takes one look at the lovers and smiles in happiness. She knows a secret that they might not yet. Even with Blair in his masculine form cannot hide it. Naomi silently vows to prepare a special care package for them before they leave.

()()(())()()(())()()

Three days have passed and it is time for James and Blair to leave again. They say their goodbyes to everyone, leaving Naomi and Maigret for the last.

"Naomi, will you both come to visit us?" Blair asks, looking from Naomi to Maigret.

Naomi smiles mysteriously. It is time to partially reveal her secret. She looks to Maigret who nods slightly.

"Yes, we will. We promise to come visit you before the year is out. Where will we find you?"

"If we are not at Rainier University, we will leave word on where we are at the Administration Office for you." James tells Naomi.

Maigret hands Blair a cloth satchel. "Here are some herbs you may need, Blair."

"Thank you, Maigret."

Blair and James kiss the women goodbye.

~~~~~~~

A few miles later, James asks Blair a question.

"So Blair, what is in the satchel?"

Blair opens it carefully to reveal a wide variety of dried and fresh herbs. "A lot of these are for healing and prevention of illnesses. A few I don't recognize at the moment, I'll have to look them up."

"So we now have a medicine bundle courtesy of Naomi and Maigret."

"Yes. Do you think they will really come to visit us?"

James nods confidently. "Yes, I do. Although I can't shake the feeling that they are withholding something from us."

Blair laughs. "The more time you spend with Naomi, the more you'll feel that way. She likes to keep secrets. Although, they are never harmful. Naomi will never let any harm come to those she cares about. Her methods might be a little strange at times, but in her heart she believes she doing the right thing."

James joins in with Blair's laughter. "I believe you, Blair."

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair enter into Rainier University and throw themselves into their studies again. Soon they are placed part-time in a police station as work experience. University classes are a mixture of real on-the-job training and classes.

~~~~~~~~

Professor Taloris invites James and Blair into his office.

"Please close the door and take a seat."

James closes the door and joins Blair in the chairs in front of Taloris' desk.

"James and Blair, I'm pleased with your progress. Despite the late bonding, you have developed past all expectations. Starting tomorrow, both of you will be assigned to a new captain in charge of a new department. We have enjoyed a fairly peaceful existence so far. Unfortunately, several new developments have been showing up that lead us to believe that more violent crimes are being committed. This new unit will be called Major Crimes. Be warned that while still fairly young, this captain is a stickler for the rules."

"Who is this captain?" James asks.

Professor Taloris smiles enigmatically. "I do believe I'll let you find that out for yourselves. You will report to him at nine in the morning. Now, I think you both have a class you need to attend."

Blair grimaces slightly. "Yes, Professor Taloris. It's a class on how to handle a crime scene."

"Then you best be off," Taloris says, as he opens a folder. His actions clearly indicate that they are dismissed.

~~~~~~~

"Are you okay, Blair?" James asks anxiously.

"Yes, James," Blair answers and places a hand on James' arm. "It's just that lately these classes have been making me feel a little queasy."

"Do you want to see a doctor?"

"No, I don't think so." Blair pauses momentarily as a wild idea hits him. "Uh, James?"

"Yes?"

"Is there anything we have to do after this class is over?"

"No, we have the evening clear."

"I think I might have an idea on what's wrong. Do we have time to make a quick stop at our dorm room?"

James looks at his watch. "I think so."

They hurry to the dorm room where Blair retrieves their medicine satchel and quickly prepares a hot drink. Blair drinks the potion as they go to their class.

"I'll explain more after class, James." Blair assures him as they enter the classroom.

"Okay, Blair."

()()(())()()(())()()

The crime scene class is split into three sections. In the first section, they study the written case reports on a variety of crime scenes and what to look for in each type.

This section takes two hours to complete.

Professor McTahin addresses the class. "Now that we armed with an idea of what to look for when investigating a crime scene, we will put it to use after lunch. However, be warned it is up to you as individuals to perform to the best of your ability." The professor looks down at his notes for a moment before speaking again. "I would suggest you eat lightly if you have any queasiness. You all have a half an hour for lunch. Report back here when you are done."

The class of ten, including James and Blair, exit to grab a quick bite or just a drink depending on how hardy their stomach is.

~~~~~~~~

"How are you feeling now, Blair?" James asks as they head to the cafeteria.

"I'm okay. My stomach has settled down."

"Do you feel like having anything to eat?"

Blair looks at the choices offered as they enter the cafeteria. "Maybe some of the beef barley soup and a roast beef sandwich," Blair says with a grin.

James laughs. "I guess you are feeling better. Tea with that, right?"

"Yes."

"Go grab us some seats and I'll get our lunches."

James returns with two identical orders. At Blair's arched eyebrow, James shrugs. "What can I say, it sounded good to me. Although, I'm having coffee instead of tea."

They eat quickly and report back to class.

()()(())()()(())()()

Professor McTahin waits until everyone is back before continuing the class.

"Section two of the Crime Scene Investigation class will be examing indoor crime scenes. You will each be assigned two different scenes to examine. Each team will consist of two. Even if you are not a Sentinel/Guide team, I still expect competent work. If you are a Sentinel/Guide team, there are tests within each crime scene that you are expected to pick up on."

The professor glances over his students and decides how to pair them up. He quickly lists off who is partnered with whom.

"In a moment, you will be given the locations of your crime scenes. Section three of this class is the examination of outdoor crime scenes. These will be given after you have satisfactorily completed the second section. As I call your names, you will come forward to retrieve an envelope. In the envelope is the location of the first crime scene."

There is a shuffling of seats as the teams pair off.

"Jenner and Collins."

Two young women approach the front of the class and accept the envelope that Professor McTahin is holding out. Jenner opens it and pulls out a notebook. She opens it and reads the first page. Jenner shows it to Collins and they quickly leave to investigate.

Each team silently accepts the envelope given and leaves.

James and Blair are the third pair called.

Blair opens the envelope and reads the first page with James looking over his shoulder.

They quickly exit the classroom to find room 258.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair quickly reach the hallway on the second floor. Room 258 is plainly marked off with yellow crime scene tape at the end of the hall.

Blair glances down at the notebook. On the second page is a brief statement from the first officer on the scene. Blair reads it aloud.

"Officer Jenkins came to room 258 in response to call about domestic violence. When he received no response, he opened the door and saw a male body inside. He cordoned off the area and called it in."

James nods. "It sounds like a basic homicide so far."

"Uh huh," Blair murmurs. "But I wouldn't count on it."

"Any mention of how the death occurred?"

Blair flips through the next few pages. "No, only that the room belongs to one Matthew Snow. I guess the rest of the notebook is for us to finish."

They cautiously enter the room. To the right of the door, a male body lies in a pool of blood, face down.

Blair swallows hard a few times before turning his attention to the other details in the room. "It looks like there was a fight in here. There are several broken glasses by the far left wall."

James looks at a ripped picture of a pretty blonde girl and a young dark haired man. He slowly scans the perimeter of the room and notices faint blood smears on the handle of the bathroom door.

"It looks like you were right, Blair. There is faint smears on that handle." James points in the direction of the bathroom.

"Okay, I guess we start in the main room." Blair pulls out an instant camera and takes several pictures. He carefully labels each one for future reference.

They both are wearing white surgical gloves and are careful not to disturb any of the scene until every detail is recorded. James, with Blair's guidance, double checks the room with his sentinel senses before they continue.

James slowly rolls the body onto his side. Protruding from his chest is knife. No other injuries are visible.

Blair takes several more pictures including the hands of the victims. "James, he has no defensive cuts."

"I know. Plus one of his hands has a part of the palm free from blood. I think this is a case of suicide for him."

"Yes, but why stage a fight?"

They both look simultaneously toward the bathroom door.

"Oh, man, I'm afraid the girl is in there." Blair tells James.

James nods solemnly. He eases the man until his back before joining Blair near the bathroom.

"There are faint smears of blood on the handle. It looks like whoever it was tried to clean it off."

James carefully turns the handle and pushes open the door. To the left, in the bathtub, is the girl. Her nude body floats in the pinkish water. Her throat is slashed. Water has splashed out of the tub and has soaked the bathmat. A towel is tossed partially over her body.

Blair looks back at the male body before speaking. "I think he did it."

"A murder/suicide," James agrees with a sad shake of his head.

They carefully catalogue the bathroom scene.

Blair goes to the desk by the window. On it are a couple of letters. They have been crumpled and then smoothed out. Blair photographs them and places them in clear envelopes. He quickly reads them over. "James, here's part of the reason."

"What is it?"

"They both received letters from their parents forbidding them from seeing each other."

"So this was their solution?"

Blair nods absentmindedly. "Not a very good one, is it?"

"No. Although it doesn't explain why it was staged like this."

James spots a tape recorder partially kicked under the bed. He pulls it out. There is a tape in it. James presses the rewind button and then play.

A girl's voice starts speaking. "Matthew, I can't do it myself."

..."Amber, we agreed it was the only solution. Your parents want you to marry Kevin."...

..."I know. I just don't have the nerve. Can't you do it?"...

..."Oh, Amber..."...

..."Please, Matthew."....

..."Okay, go have a bath."...

The tape stops.

Blair and James look at each.

"It's such a shame," Blair says.

"Yes, it is. The way I see it is that while she was taking the bath, he slit her throat."

"Do you think she was aware of his plans?"

"No, I don't. It was probably a surprise. He then probably staged the room to look like a fight. Matthew probably forgot the letters or meant them to be found."

"The tape recorder wasn't meant to be found right away so he kicked it under the bed, but it didn't go all the way under." Blair hypothesizes.

"Yeah. Since there isn't any other murder weapon here, I would have to say the one in his heart is the one he used to kill her. When it tested, I'm sure both blood types will be found on the blade."

"A senseless waste. There must have been a better solution available."

"Probably, but they were too set on this course."

James and Blair wrap up the rest of the scene investigation. They clean up and report back to Professor McTahin.

~~~~~~~

"Here are the investigation notes, Professor McTahin." Blair says as he hands over the notebook, pictures, and evidence.

The professor looks them over. "Do you both agree on the results of your investigation?"

"Yes, we do," James says, as Blair nods in agreement.

"Very well, you did a good job on this one. Here is the second scene." McTahin hands James the envelope.

()()(())()()(())()()

James opens the envelope and hands the notebook to Blair. Blair opens it to reveal the location : Room 352.

They quickly leave to investigate the scene. On the way, Blair reads all the information available.

"It says a shot was heard and Officer Doillen responded. Upon entering the office of one Samatha Duggan, she discovered the oppucant slumped over over the desk with a gun in the right hand. The area was immediately sealed until investigators could arrive."

"Sounds like another suicide."

Blair nods unhappily.

James places an arm around Blair's shoulder in support. "Only two more scenes to investigate, Blair."

"Two? I thought there would be two outdoor ones as well."

"No, I overheard him before we entered the classroom..."

"What did he say?" Blair interrupts.

"Relax and I will tell you. Apparently, the groups setting up the crime scenes decided to go with more elaborate outdoor scenes so they were only able to set up one per team."

"Oh man, I bet Professor McTahin wasn't pleased."

"No, he wasn't. At least not at first, but apparently something convicted him otherwise."

They turn the corner and Room 352 was right there with the yellow crime scene tape across the door.

Blair sighs. "Well, we're here."

"Yes," James agrees. He opens the door slowly. The room is dominated by the desk with a few filing cabinets along the side of the room.

Blair starts taking a photographic record of the room.

James wrinkles his nose as the acrid smell of fresh gunpowder hits him.

"Dial it down a little, James." Blair instructs him.

"It's a fresh scene."

"Yeah, can you spot anything unusual other than the body?"

James dials up his sight and surveys the room slowly. "No, nothing appears out of place."

They slowly advance into the room. By the left elbow there is a handwritten note. Next to the computer monitor is a quarter glass of water that still has some condensation on it. In the right hand is a small caliber gun. On the right temple of the woman is a small bullet hole with a trail of blood leading away from it.

As they advance closer, James bends down to look under the desk. By the woman's right shoe, he spots an open pill bottle.

"There's a pill bottle by her right foot." James tells Blair.

Blair slowly circles the desk, still taking pictures. He bends to take a close up photograph of the pill bottle. "It's a prescription and it's empty." After recording all relevant information regarding the bottle, Blair carefully places it in a evidence bag. "The prescription is for barbitrutes. The amount in the bottle was for thirty. James, she picked it up today."

"Okay. The top right hand drawer is open. She was a neat person. There's an open box of shells in here, as well as some pens, staples and paperclips."

James moves to her left to read the note that was pushed away from her. "It's a suicide note. She obviously was at the end of her rope. Recently divorced and was layed off this morning. Housing was provided with her job. Somewhere around here should be the lay off notice."

Blair looks around and notices a piece of crumpled up paper in the garbage. "I think this might be it."

James looks over to see Blair indicating the garbage. He nods silently before going back to the suicide note. "The writing on the note starts out steady but becomes increasingly sloppy. She wrote down that she planned on taking an overdose. Apparently she did, because it goes on to say that it's taking too long and someone almost came in and caught her. It ends with: 'I'm going to finish it quick. Satisfying to use my ex's gun.' She signed it."

"It's a wonder she was even able to aim properly enough."

"She did, though."

"Yes," Blair agrees. "Can you detect any gunpowder residue on her hand?"

"Yes, I can. Also, there is traces of gunpowder around the bullet entrance in her temple."

"What about the crumpled note?"

Blair pulls it out and gingerly smoothes it out enough to read. "It is the lay off notice. It gives her two week notice to vacate the provided residence. The reason being her department is being downsized and the residence is being given to a visiting professor. No name is given on the professor."

"The straw that broke the camel's back." James offers his opinion.

Blair nods. "Well, let's report back to Professor McTahin."

"Yes, the autopsy will confirm that the barbitrutes' presence in her stomach. She was determined to die today." James says as they leave and reseal the crime scene.

"Unfortunately, I'm sure that arrangements could have been made to accomodate her recent circumstances."

~~~~~~~

Professor McTahin looks over their findings and nods. "Well done. You will only be doing one outdoor crime scene due to time constraints." He hands them a final envelope.

James opens the envelope and reads the directions to find the crime scene. He hands the booklet over to Blair.

()()(())()()(())()()

On their way to the final crime scene, James pulls Blair to a stop. "Are you okay, Blair?"

Blair smiles and nods. "Yes, James, I am. The potion I drank earlier is keeping the nausea down. Although, those dummies they use are very life like. If I didn't know better, I would swear they are using actual bodies."

"I know. It can give one a shock if they didn't know what was going on."

"Well, I guess we should get this over with." Blair opens the notebook to read the report.

"Blair?"

"Yes?"

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me what's going on with you?"

Blair smiles mischievously. "I will," he pauses for a moment. "After we have finished and cleaned up. I'm glad this is the last time we have to get into the protective investigation clothing today."

James chuckles.

"Okay, back to business. A security guard found the body of a young woman just inside the campus forest. His name was Elmer Watkins. The victim is as yet unidentified. The guard reported it immediately and Officers Denair and O'Kleif came out. They cordoned off the area."

"Any speculations on the part of the responding officers?"

"None are mentioned. They are still at the crime scene."

James and Blair reach the edge of the forest to find the security guard and officers still present.

Blair steps forward to interview the guard while James interviews the officers.

~~~~~~~

"Mr. Watkins, may I have a word with you?"

"Yeah," he responds. He is visibly shaken.

"Can you tell me everything you can remember regarding this?"

"Sure, I was doing my regular security check. Kids are always making out in the forest and we try to discourage it. Especially since we caught one couple making a fire. I had just entered the woods to do a perimeter sweep when I saw her. She's about the same age as my daughter."

"Did you approach the body?

"Only close enough to tell that she was dead. I hot footed it out of there and called it in."

"About how close did you come to the body?"

Elmer squints his eyes as he tries to remember. "I guess it was about twenty yards."

"Okay, when was the last check done here?"

"About six hours ago, I guess."

"Who did it?"

"That would be Charles Grovel. He had the shift before me?"

"When did you come on?"

"I started three hours ago."

Blair nods as he jots the notes. "Thank you for your time, Mr. Watkins. We might need to contact again. Where can you be reached?"

"I live on campus in the staff house. My room is number 12."

"Thank you, Mr. Watkins. You can go now." Blair notes down what clothing and the colors that Mr. Watkins is wearing. He goes to join James who is interviewing the officers.

~~~~~~~

"Is there anything further you can add, Officers?"

Both officers deny any further knowledge.

"Would you be willing to remain to maintain security here?"

"Certainly," Officer Denair replies for both of them.

~~~~~~~

"Anything useful, James?"

"Not really. They both believe it to be a rape and murder. Neither approached closer than twenty yards to the body."

"That's the distance that Watkins said he approached to. He did say that the previous check on this area would have been about six hours ago by a Charles Grovel."

"So he could be a possible suspect?"

"Yes," Blair agrees. "I called in to request that they pick him up for questioning."

"Okay."

James and Blair approach the victim. Blair begins the commentary as he writes it down. James takes the initial photographs of the area and body.

"The victim is a young woman of about 25 years old. She has shoulder length straight blonde hair. Height is approximately 5' 3''. Her shirt is ripped open. No bra is in sight. Lower half of the body is nude. Shorts and panties are tossed approximately two feet away from body. There is a rope ligature around her neck. Death by strangulation is the primary analysis."

James takes over. "There is blood and semen smears on her inner thighs." He dials up his sight. "There are black pubic hairs entangled with her blonde ones."

"Do you think she was raped pre-mortem or post-mortem?" Blair asks.

James cocks his head as he uses all his senses to survey the scene. "I would have to say she was raped and then strangled. There is something black hidden under the brush about five yards to the right of the body."

"Is there any visible footprints that we can use?"

James shakes his head. "The area is too trampled for that to be any use. Several people have been through here recently."

Blair pulls out the rape kit and hands it to James.

After photographing the body close-up, they prepare to gather any evidence that might be lost or contaminated when the body is moved.

"She put quite a fight," Blair comments. "There is skin and dirt under her fingernails." Blair ties evidence bags over her hands so the lab can take samples in the morgue.

James takes swabs of the vagina and inner thighs. "You're right, Blair. I think this is a case of a rape that escalated to murder." James takes samples of the black pubic hair.

Blair examines the rope around her neck. "This is the type of rope I've seen being used to tag trees that need attention."

"Need attention?" James asks.

"Uh huh, you know, like where they have dead branches or been damaged by co-eds carving on them."

James nods his understanding. "So it would narrow it down to University staff as the possible rapist and murderer."

"Yeah, or someone on campus. However, I would check out the staff first and see who had access to the rope."

James turns his attention to the discarded clothing. "There are dried seminal stains on the shorts. Looks like he used them to clean himself up with."grimaces in disgust. "Here are some bags." He hands James two paper bags to place the panties and shorts into separately.

Next they check out the black cloth under the bush. It is a black ski mask.

"I guess your right," Blair says, as they carefully place the mask in another paper bag. "She must have pulled the mask off him and probably recognized him."

James nods. "I would be willing to bet that Grovel might be a strong candidate for this crime."

"I would certainly place him at the top of the list of suspects. Watkins is off the list because he has red hair."

They do a perimeter search of the area and only find where the suspect hid behind a tree about ten yards from the body.

"I'll let the officers know they can call in the coroner's wagon for her." James says.

"Okay, I want to check out something a little further in. I won't be long."

Blair continues another thirty yards into the forest. Between two pines, he finds something that he was sure that wasn't planned. He turns around to see James coming towards him. Blair waves him over.

"What is it, Blair?"

"I think we might have a real crime here. Do you see where the ground is sunken in a little here?"

James looks carefully at the ground and sees what Blair has seen. "It's about six feet long and about two and a half feet wide."

"Yeah, in my forensic anthropology courses, they called this a possible clandestine grave."

James cocks his head to listen. "The two officers are still at the edge of the forest. Let's mark this and inform them."

Blair nods and pulls out a red evidence flag. He puts it into the ground about two feet from one end of the possible grave.

They quickly walk around the staged crime scene and come out near Officer Denair.

"Officer Denair?" Blair calls out.

"Yes?"

"We found a possible clandestine grave about fifty yards into the forest."

"What?" exclaims the officer. "There's not supposed to be any graves used in these exercises."

James nods. "Nonetheless, there is a possible one. It should be checked out. We marked it with a red evidence flag."

"Okay," Denair says. "Why don't you report back to Professor McTahin? Your only exercise was to have been the murdered rape victim. I'll call in the grave sighting."

James and Blair leave as he calls in the report. A seasoned crime scene investigation team was on their way to investigate. James and Blair strip off their investigation gear and put it into a bag they were carrying for it.

~~~~~~~

Professor McTahin was waiting for them when they entered the classroom.

Blair hands him the notebook and evidence bags.

McTahin glances quickly through them and nods. "Good work, gentlemen. I've heard you have also discovered a clandestine grave."

"A possible one," Blair corrects him. "The shape of the sunken area suggests a grave but don't know if it was a result of foul play or not."

"Of course, of course," Profession McTahin murmurs. "Nonetheless, it was a sign of good observation skills for you to even spot it."

"Do you think we can find out whatever details they find out on it?" James asks.

"Certainly, I'll make sure the request is in." McTahin agrees. "You are done for the day now. Why don't you head home and get some rest. I understand you are reporting for on-the-job training tomorrow," he says, as he ushers James and Blair from the classroom. "You have done very well in class today."

"Thank you," Blair tells him for both James and himself.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair unbraids his hair and prepares for a shower. It has been a long day.

James prepares a light supper for them. He will take his shower after Blair is done.

~~~~~~~

After they have eaten, James and Blair lay relaxing on the couch.

Blair snuggles deeper into James' chest. "James, remember I said I would tell you later what was going on?"

"Yes, are you ready to now?"

"Uh huh, there's no need to worry. I'm okay. I just think I'm pregnant."

"Pregnant? How?" James exclaims.

Blair laughs softly. "The usual way, I would expect. I think I conceived at the falls."

James hugs Blair tightly. "Are you sure?"

"Fairly. I think Naomi knew. That's why she gave those extra herbs I didn't recognize. I looked them up while you were in the shower."

"They will help you?"

"Yes. Some, like the ones I used earlier today, will combat any nausea I might have. Others, some of the ones I didn't recognize, we will have to keep around for when it is time for me to deliver."

"Why?"

"They are protection herbs that my people use so the baby will grow up healthy and strong."

"Then we will have to make sure we keep our medicine satchel near." James reassures Blair. He is also reassured that they will have something to protect their children. "Uh, Blair?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know how many children we are having?"

"Yes, James."

"Well?" James asks impatiently.

"I'm pregnant with twins." Blair smiles happily as he rests one hand on his stomach.

"About how far along are you?" James asks as he tries to remember exact dates.

"I'm about four months pregnant."

"Then we will have to book off time in five months or so?"

"Yes, I called the Dean and requested two months off starting four and half months from now."

"Did he grant it?"

"Of course. All I had to say was that I'm pregnant and it was around my due date."

"Where do you want to go?" James asks.

"Your parents', if they will have us. Naomi and Maigret will come there. I'm sure they have already planned the trip."

James pulls Blair around and kisses him. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

"Not since this morning." Blair answers a little breathlessly.

"I love you, Blair. You are my destiny and my heart's desire."

"As you are mine, James. I love you." Blair returns James' kiss.

They retire to bed where they spend the night in each others arms.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next morning, James and Blair report to Major Crimes.

"We are to report to the Captain. Can you tell us where he is?" James asks the receptionist.

"Certainly, you must be James Ellison and Blair Sandburg."

"Yes, we are," Blair answers.

"He's been expecting you. Just go to that office." The receptionist points to an office with frosted glass windows. "He's in there right now."

"Could you tell us his name?" James asks.

"I could, but he asked me not to." She says with a smile.

"Okay, thank you," James responds and they head to the door indicated.

The name on the door is covered with dark paper.

"I guess he wants to be mysterious." Blair says with a grin as he knocks on the door.

The door is opened by a young white man. "Hello. You must be James and Blair. Come in. The captain's waiting for you. I'm Rafe."

"Hello," Blair and James say.

They enter to find Simon sitting at a desk.

"Simon?" James asks puzzedly.

Simon laughs. "Yeah, James, it's me. I'm the captain. Rafe, would you mind removing the paper from the door."

"Sure, Simon." Rafe rips off the paper and returns to sit in one of the chairs.

"I didn't know you were going to be our captain, Simon." James shakes his head in wonderment.

"They put me in charge of this department about a week ago. We are filling the ranks with the best detectives and teams available. You were picked because of your high scores and rapid advancement through the school training. However, I should warn you that I won't play favorites with anyone. Not even Rafe," Simon smiles fondly at Rafe.

James and Blair look from Simon to Rafe and back again.

"Is there something else you aren't telling us, Simon?" Blair asks.

Simon chuckles. "Me and Rafe are together. We started seeing each other about two months ago."

"Congratulations, Simon and Rafe," Blair enthuses. "You will both have to come to James' parents in about five months.

"Why?" Simon asks with an arched eyebrow.

"Because," James says, as he pulls Blair closer to him. "We are expecting and Blair is due in five months."

"How can this be?" Rafe asks.

"Blair is more of a treasure than I ever suspected when I met him." James tells them with a huge smile.

Blair blushes and ducks his head slightly.

"That doesn't quite explain it," Simon rebukes James gently.

James looks at Blair who nods. "Blair is a changeling as well as a shapeshifter. A fully functional one and he is able to conceive."

"But he's a male," protests Rafe.

Simon shakes his head. "Trust you to pull something I didn't know about out of the hat, James. Rafe, James and Blair are the shapeshifting Sentinel and Guide team you heard about."

"I heard great things about you guys. I just didn't know your names." Rafe explains. He tosses a dirty look at Simon. "Simon knew I was interested in meeting you and he didn't even tell me he knew you."

"You're not mad, are you?" Simon asks Rafe.

Rafe thinks for a minute before shaking his head. "No, I couldn't stay mad at you."

"Will you be okay on the job, Blair?" Simon asks seriously.

"Yes, Simon. I can carry them safely while in my male form. I only have to change to deliver them. My stomach won't extend much more than it is now." Blair caresses the slight swell of his stomach.

"Them?" Simon questions curiously.

"Yes, them. Blair is going to have twins. Although, I expect he even knows whether they are boy or girl, he won't tell me," James answers proudly.

"Can you really tell you are having twins?" Rafe asks Blair.

"Yes."

"What about the sex of the babies?" Rafe asks, sitting on the edge of his chair.

Blair only smiles mysteriously and won't answer the question.

"See what I mean?" James tells the others. "He does that everytime I ask him that question."

"You will just have to be there when I deliver them." Blair tells them slyly.

The others laugh in response.

"Rafe will show you guys around Major Crimes and the rest of the station," Simon tells James and Rafe.

~~~~~~~~

Rafe gives them a guided tour ending with their desks and the first case they are to work on.

()()(())()()(())()()

Four and a half months later, Blair's words prove to be true. His belly is distended only slightly more, appearing that he has only gained some weight from overeating.

~~~~~~~~

James knocks on Simon's door.

"Come in," Simon calls out.

James and Blair enter.

"We'll be heading out in the morning, Simon," James tells him.

"It's that time already?"

"Yeah," Blair says before sitting down to rest.

"Is there any cases outstanding that I need to reassign?"

"No, we are all caught up. You and Rafe are still coming in two weeks, right?" James asks.

"We are looking forward to it. You will be at your parents' place?"

James nods.

"Blair, are you doing okay?" Simon asks. He's concerned about the tiredness exhibited by the young guide.

Blair nods. "Sure, Simon. I'm just a little tired. If Naomi comes here, will you tell her how to find us?"

"Yes, of course."

Blair smiles and murmurs thank you.

"See you in a couple weeks, Simon." James turns to Blair and helps him stand. "Come on, we're going home so you can rest."

Simon watches them leave with a smile. It has been only recently that Blair has exhibited any difficulties with his pregnancy. Luckily, it seems to be only exhaustion.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day, James and Blair head for the Ellison mansion.

Blair is tucked in warmly in the passenger seat. He is lightly sleeping. The closer to the due date, the more rest he seems to crave.

James is the classic overprotective expecting father, despite that his wife is currently in his male form.

()()(())()()(())()()

They arrive in the late afternoon. William and Stephan help James unload the vehicle after Blair is resting in their room.

~~~~~~~

Blair yawns as he wakes up. He looks around and realizes that they are at the Ellison mansion already.

"James?" Blair calls out softly.

James comes into the room with a tray. "I've brought you a light snack and some juice. How are you feeling?"

Blair pulls himself up in bed and yawns again. "Still a little tired, but okay."

James smoothes back Blair's hair. "Do you think you'll be up to having dinner in the dining room?"

"Yes. Who's all here?"

"My parents, Stephan and Naomi and Maigret have just arrived."

"Already?" Blair asks eagerly.

"Yeah," James grins at Blair's excitement.

Blair pushes away the blankets and sits up. "Well, let's not keep them waiting."

James laughs softly. "Ok, ok."

Blair dresses as quickly as he is able to.

They head downstairs to the family room where everyone is gathered.

()()(())()()(())()()

Naomi jumps up as Blair enters the room. She hurries to his side and hugs him.

"Blair, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine, Naomi. Did you have any trouble finding this place?"

"No, that nice Dean Henderson gave us very clear directions."

"I'm glad you are here. We both are," Blair adds, as James places a hand on his shoulder.

James leads Blair to a comfortable loveseat and they sit down.

"Maigret, did you enjoy the journey?" James asks.

"Oh, yes. There was so many new things to see."

"Where is your home?" William asks, curiously.

"It's south of the Burton College," Naomi replies mysteriously. She refuses to add on any more information on the subject for now.

William recognizing that is all the information he is going to get, drops the subject.

A pleasant evening is spent with everyone getting to know everyone else.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair wakes up in the middle of the night with the overwhelming feeling that he has to change to his female form. He gently shakes James awake.

"James?"

"Yes," James answers sleepily.

"I have to change."

"Change?" James questions as he struggles to wake up fully.

"I have to change to my female form. My time is near."

"I thought you had two more weeks to go?" James asks in concern.

Blair grimaces slightly in the dim moonlit room. "I thought so, too."

James hugs Blair tightly. "Do what you feel you have to," James reassures his mate. "I'll be here."

Blair sighs softly. "Close your eyes, James."

As soon as James closes his eyes, Blair pulls away from his embrace and changes to his female form.

"You can open your eyes now," Blair instructs James in an higher octave than his usual voice.

James obeys and sees that Blair has become a woman again. Her figure is as beautiful as before. Perhaps even more so with the soft swell of her belly that cradles the babies waiting to be born.

James pulls Blair back into his arms. "Is it better for you now?"

"Yes, the urgency that woke me is abating."

"Will you deliver early?"

"I don't know," Blair replies with a yawn.

"Go back to sleep," James urges her.

Blair kisses James sweetly and slips back into sleep.

James continues to hold Blair even as he joins her in slumber.

()()(())()()(())()()

For the next week, Blair takes it easy as everyone dotes on her. Blair still maintains a light exercise program that includes walking the grounds close to the house with James. She is well aware that this will help her when it comes time for her to deliver.

()()(())()()(())()()

Simon and Rafe arrive a week earlier than expected. They find the house already full of guests.

~~~~~~

"Simon and Rafe, why didn't you say you were coming earlier?" James asks, as he comes down the stairs.

"We got away earlier than planned and decided to take our vacation here," Simon answers James' question. "Who is here?"

"My parents, Stephan, Naomi, and Maigret."

"Naomi and Maigret?" Simon asks.

"Naomi is Blair's Mom and Maigret is a friend. Everyone is in the family room. Why don't you join me there?"

Simon and Rafe follow James to the family room. He introduces everyone to them.

"Where is Blair?" Rafe asks.

"Upstairs taking a nap. She should be waking up soon."

"Will Blair mind if I go and visit?" Rafe carefully phrases his question, unsure of why James is referring to Blair as a female.

"Sure, it should be fine," James tells Rafe, after listening to make sure Blair is awake. "She'll be glad of the company." James gives Rafe directions to their room.

After Rafe leaves, Simon looks at James. "James, do you mind taking a walk with me?" Simon smiles at the others in the room. "It's just some police matter that I have to update James on."

"Certainly," James agrees. "Excuse us," he says to the rest of the room.

()()(())()()(())()()

James leads the way outside to the gardens. "So Simon, what is this police matter?"

"In a minute, James. First, tell me why you keep referring to Blair as a female."

"Because Blair is one, right now."

"A woman?"

"Yes. She changed soon after we arrived here. Blair is almost ready to deliver."

"I thought he...she had another week to go."

"So did we, but apparently they wish to born sooner."

"Ok, will I get to meet the female Blair soon?"

"Yes, she'll be down for dinner. Now, what is the police matter?"

"You remember that clandestine grave Blair found?"

"Yes."

"Well, they finally sent the information on it."

"What is it?" James asks impatiently.

"The body in it was identified as Andrew Fahler. He was reported missing six years ago by his mother. She died soon after he disappeared, leaving no relatives. There were no leads on the case so it went cold."

"How did he die?"

"It was blunt force trauma to the head. There are no further leads available to identify his murderer or murderers. It is unlikely that it will ever be solved."

James nods solemnly. "Thanks for letting me know. I'll tell Blair. Is there no chance of finding the killer?"

Simon shakes his head. "The initial investigation was pretty thorough. Every possible suspect was questioned and eliminated. It was suspected at the time that Andrew was dead."

"No trace evidence left behind?" James asks in confusion.

"None. They never could find the murder site." Simon responds sadly. "It was unfortunate. He was only twenty at the time of his disappearance."

"Is there anything we can do?"

"No. Everything's been done that can be. His skeleton was reburied beside his mother and a headstone was placed," Simon reassures James.

James nods his understanding. While he knows nothing more can be done, it still saddens him how the young man died. Also, to top it off, it appears to be no hope of justice for him.

Simon and James walk along quietly for an hour without interest in the beauty of the surrounding gardens, each lost in his thoughts.

()()(())()()(())()()

Meanwhile, Rafe knocks on Blair's door and is bidden to enter.

"Blair?" Rafe asks in astonishment. He still wasn't prepared to see Blair as a female despite James referring to Blair as a woman.

"Yes, it is me, Rafe."

Rafe stares speechless at Blair. He finds it a little hard to reconcile the beautiful woman laying propped up by pillows with the extremely handsome young man he knew from Major Crimes.

"Relax," Blair says with a soft chuckle. "I'm still the same person. However, you have to admit it is easier to deliver my children as a woman rather than as a man."

Rafe visibly shakes himself. "Sorry, Blair. I guess I didn't really consider how you would appear or even change in spite of everything."

"It's okay. You are here early. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, we just decided to take our vacation a little early. Everything is quiet at Major Crimes right now. How are you feeling?"

"I'm doing good. I just tire easily now and have to take naps."

"Have you decided on names for your babies?"

"Yes, we have. James named the boy and I'm naming the other," Blair responds with a mischievous grin. "And no, I'm not saying whether the other one is a boy or a girl."

"You must have told James that one is a boy," Rafe protests.

"Yes," Blair confirms with firm nod. "But only so he could name one of the twins."

"Will you tell me what name James picked at least," Rafe pleads.

Blair shakes his head. "You will just have to wait to find out." Blair's eyes twinkle in amusement as he teases Rafe.

"You know something, Blair."

"What?"

"You can be cruel," Rafe tells him with a grin.

Blair laughs. "I've missed having you around. A girl's got to keep some secrets."

"Or a boy?" Rafe teases.

shrugs. "Perhaps. Besides, I've told you I'm having twins and one is a boy. Isn't that enough information for now?"

"Not really, you tease," Rafe says softly, unable to hold back his laughter anymore.

Rafe catches Blair up on everything that has happened since Blair left. The two became friends from the first day they met.

~~~~~~~

Rafe helps Blair get ready for dinner and they go down together.

Blair enjoys visiting with family and friends despite his growing discomfort. She waves away James' concern with soft whispers that everything is fine.

()()(())()()(())()()

That evening before they retire, James passes on Simon's news on Andrew Fahler. He comforts Blair when she becomes upset at the news. Her emotions tend to ride close to the surface now. Each day closer to the delivery date brings them out more. James can only comfort and reassure her that everything possible has been done for Andrew.

Blair slips into slumber within James' arms. James follows her, but sleeps only lightly. He wishes to be ready if Blair needs him for anything.

()()(())()()(())()()

Around three in the morning, Blair wakes up with labor pains. James gets up and fetches the nurse they have standing by.

The nurse hurries in behind James. Following them is Maigret, who was awakened by the commotion.

Blair lays panting on the bed as another cramp hits, squeezing her belly with pain.

The nurse times the contractions and hurries to make preparations. The babies are coming fast.

Maigret moves to the head of the bed and strokes Blair's hair back from her sweating forehead. "Easy little one, your little ones will be here soon." She turns to James. "Do you have the medicine satchel Naomi gave to you?"

"Yes," James says as he reaches down beside the bed and hands it to Maigret.

Maigret reaches in and pulls out the strange herbs. She mixes some in hot water and urges Blair to drink it.

James takes over the task of holding the cup so Blair can drink.

Maigret pulls out a small mortar and pestle to crush several of the dried herbs together. She then adds a little water to make a paste.

Blair's breathing becomes easier as she finishes the potion Maigret made. While still aware of everything, the pain is easier to bear.

The nurse watches Maigret but doesn't say anything. James glares at her whenever she opens her mouth to protest the use of the strange herbs. However, even she has to admit, they are helping Blair. Blair is almost fully dilated.

Soon, the first child is coming. "Bear down, Blair," the nurse urges her.

Blair pushes and shortly the child is born.

The nurse quickly cuts and ties off the umbilical cord. She then cleans out the nose and mouth. "It's a girl," she announces, as she hands the baby to James.

James wraps the infant in a small blanket.

"Pass her to me, James," Maigret tells him.

James carefully passes the child to Maigret. Maigret spreads half of the paste onto the infant's chest and murmurs an protection spell. She then places the child into an empty bassinette.

Blair delivers a second child within minutes of the first. It is a boy.

The same steps are followed as with the girl.

After Blair delivers the placenta and is cleaned up, the nurse quietly leaves. It is obvious to her that Maigret will be the one caring for the children's immediate needs.

Maigret gently cleans the children up, taking care not to remove any of the paste. It will be absorbed into the skin within the hour. She places first the girl and then the boy into the arms of an exhausted Blair. It is time for the parents to bond with the children undisturbed.

Blair smiles weakly up at Maigret and murmurs thank you.

Maigret smiles back at the couple and their newborn children. "Rest now, Blair," she gently orders before leaving the room.

James and Blair admire their children. James kisses Blair gently.

"They are beautiful, Blair."

"Yes, they are," Blair quietly agrees.

Soon Blair's eyelids begin to drop and James gently places the babies in the bassinette near the bed. It is time for Blair to rest and recover from the ordeal of giving birth to their children. James will watch over them until Blair wakes up again.

()()(())()()(())()()

As James watches over his family, he sees his infant daughter and son change for the first time. Apparently the shapeshifting ability is hereditary. James looks down at his exhausted mate. He will have to tell her when she awakens. James pulls her closer, content for now just to hold her. Tomorrow will be a big day. The newest additions to his family will be presented to the rest of the family and their friends.

()()(())()()(())()()

Blair opens her eyes to find James gazing down at her.

"James?" she whispers.

"Everything is alright, my Heart. How do you feel?"

"I'm okay. A little sore, but otherwise I'm fine. How are the children?"

"They're sleeping peacefully. They are very good."

Blair smiles and raises one hand to cup James' cheek. "You are just saying that because there is no cries to hurt your ears."

"No, I'm not. I'm not surprised by their good behavior. Look who they have for a mother."

"Fathers," Blair gently corrects.

"Of course," James agrees with a soft smile.

Blair looks toward the bassinette to see them curled up together. "They're beautiful."

"Yes, they are. They also provided a little surprise last night after you were asleep."

"What surprise," Blair questions curiously. He knows it is not bad because James is smiling.

"They are both shapeshifters."

"Really," a pleased Blair says, as she struggles to sit up.

James assists her into a sitting position so she can see the children better.

"Yes."

"Are they sentinel or guide as well?"

James shrugs lightly. He isn't sure about it completely, but he willing to lay odds that they are.

"It is quite possible. We'll know for sure once they are tested. If they are sentinels, then we may have trouble."

"Trouble," Blair asks with a yawn.

"Hmm, with the shapeshifting ability, it will be hard to find them guides to bond with."

"Did you have a difficult time?"

James looks down at his children. A faraway look comes into his eyes as he remembers the long years until he found Blair.

"James?" Blair gently strokes his cheek, calling his attention back to her.

James visibly shakes himself. "Yes, Blair, it was difficult. The only way I could survive was to take drugs to mute my senses. It was like living inside cotton. I have no great desire to see my children face that fate as well."

"We will help them until their mates are found. I will be a temporary guide for them. It will be okay," Blair reassures James.

James smiles at Blair and kisses her. "Have I told you recently how much I love you?"

"No, not recently," Blair teases him.

Just then, the kids wake up hungry. James slips from the bed to retrieve the bottles that were prepared ahead of time. While Blair wishes she could breastfeed them, it is not possible. They will need the special nutrients and herbs that are mixed into the formula. So, despite Blair being able to give milk, they will have to be bottle fed.

James hands the boy to Blair along with a bottle. He then picks up and cradles the girl. They feed their children.

"When do we make the announcements," Blair asks softly as she rocks her son to sleep.

"I think everyone will understand if we wait until tomorrow. It will give you time to regain your strength."

"I'm already feeling much stronger. It is one of advantages of being who we are and the potion that Maigret gave me helps a lot as well." Blair grins slyly at James. "Besides, you probably need to catch a little sleep. Overprotective father that you are, you probably stayed up most of the night watching over us."

James flushes slightly but refuses to dignify Blair's teasing with an answer.

After the babies fall back to sleep and are placed into the bassinette, James and Blair go to sleep as well.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day, when Blair awakens, she feels totally healed. She stretches carefully, not wanting to wake up James. Blair slips from the bed and checks on her babies. They look so angelic sleeping. Blair glances at James and feels her heart swell with the love she feels for this man. She slips into the bathroom. It is past time for her to reclaim her masculine form. While being a woman allowed her bear children, she is the most comfortable as a man.

~~~~~~~

In the washroom, Blair undergoes the transformation back to man from woman. His nipples are still tender, but he was expecting that. Until his milk dries up, they will be. Perhaps James will like to suckle on them. Blair is a little saddened that he cannot breastfeed, but the welfare of his children must come first.

~~~~~~~

James awakens to an empty bed. He stretches out his senses seeking his other half. The masculine musk smell that he knows so well greets his nose. Blair has changed back.

~~~~~~~

Blair steps out of the bathroom nude. He stands still with all of his masculine glory on display for James.

"Come here," James softly growls.

Blair softly chuckles and shakes his head. "Sorry, James, no time for that right now." Blair pulls out a loose pair of pants and shirt. He dresses quickly to conceal the temptation from James. "We have made everyone wait long enough to meet our son and daughter."

"Let's them wait," James mutters petulantly.

Blair shakes his head at James' antics. "Let's do this and I promise we'll come back here soon. Then, you have my permission to ravage me as much as you want."

"Promise," James asks with a wicked gleam in his eye.

"Yes."

"Okay, Blair, I'll hold you to that." James sweeps away the covers and gets up. He dresses quickly.

"I know you will," Blair mutters softly. Secretly he is glad he heals so quickly. He has missed making love with James.

Blair gathers his son into a soft baby blanket while James does the same with their daughter. Blair is glad to note that the protective paste that Maigret applied is completely absorbed. Their precious children are safe.

()()(())()()(())()()

They carry their precious bundles into the family room where everyone is gathered. James is glad that the room is so spacious. His children's naming and presentation will be informal, unlike his own formal one.

~~~~~~~

James and Blair look around at the eager and curious faces. Only Maigret and the nurse know what sex the children are, and they were sworn to secrecy.

"Thank you all for being here," Blair tells everyone with a smile. "We are twofold blessed this day," Blair pauses dramatically. He chuckles lightly. "Or should I say yesterday."

"Blair," James tries to admonish his exuberant mate.

Blair wrinkles his nose at James. "Okay, seriously, we are truly blessed. We have healthy twins to present this day, a boy and a girl."

James pulls away the blanket from the infant in his arms to reveal a girl. "Her name is Charisse Nyomi. Nyomi is in honor of Blair's mother, Naomi." Charisse opens her eyes to look at the people in the room. She stretches and wiggles in James' arms. Charisse then changes into silvery white wolf pup and then returns to human form.

Blair, standing next to James, pulls the blanket away from the infant in his arms revealing a boy. "His name is Michael Wilhelm. Wilhelm is in honor of James' father, William." Michael opens his eyes and yawns. The family will swear later that he smiles before he changes. Michael becomes an adorable snow leopard cub before reverting back to his human form.

"We will be getting them tested and registered." James announces. "We are sure that they are either sentinels or guides." James looks at Blair who leans slightly against him offering silent support. "I...we don't want to see them deal with the problems I faced while waiting for Blair to come into my life."

Naomi looks down at her lap. She knows she is to blame for the delay in them finding each other.

Blair, seeing this, hurries to reassure her. "It is okay, Naomi. I know you only wanted what was best for me."

"Yes, Naomi," James interjects. "We don't blame you. I knew Blair was out there waiting for me. The time we spent apart allowed us to learn what we needed to be even better soulmates for each other."

Naomi looks up with tears in her eyes. "Thank you, James and Blair. Thank you for understanding."

"We love you, Naomi, and now that we have children of our own, we understand even more how you felt," Blair tells Naomi with a smile.

Both James and Blair walk over to where Naomi is sitting. Holding their children firmly, they bend over and kiss her on the cheek in forgiveness and love.

The family and friends gathered all come forward one at a time to say individual hellos to the newest members of the family.

()()(())()()(())()()

Within the week, Michael and Charisse are DNA tested and their DNA is placed on record. Michael is a sentinel, whom Blair takes care of closely. James is hopeful that a guide will be found for him soon. Charisse is a guide. She is already helpful in keeping Michael on an even keel.

The family is happy with what fate has provided for them.

Michael and Charisse are very much loved by all who meet them.

()()(())()()(())()()

A year passes quickly and once again James and his family are visiting his parents.

Michael and Charisse have grown quickly. Already, they are starting to walk and get into trouble. Both James and Blair are grateful that there is a competent babysitting service available to them at the station. The daycare centre is the most protected area in the building. They feel no anxiety about having to leave them for brief periods while they have to work. It is a bonus that such facilities exist to assist working parents. Especially, since Blair needs to be by James' side while working. Simon understands when they need to go to the daycare to look after them personally.

~~~~~~~

Blair is in the family room with the twins and Grace.

William is in his office handling the family business.

James comes down from upstairs in time to hear Michael creating a fuss. He quickens his step and enters into the family room.

"Is everything okay," James asks softly.

Blair glances at James and nods. "Just a little too much stimulation from the crystals. I've put them away for now." Blair waves towards a small chest that holds three crystals that used to hang in the window.

James closes the lid and sets it on a shelf.

"I'm sorry, Dear," Grace says regretfully. "I forgot to take them down before you came."

"It alright, Mother," James reassures her. "These things will happen. Michael will improve on filtering out unwanted strain on his senses."

"Especially, once a guide is found for him," Blair contributes.

Grace smiles tremulously. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, Mother," James says, as he hugs her.

Blair settles down Michael and places him next to Charisse on the blanket. Charisse leans against him, silently offering support.

Blair smiles down at his children with pride. While it is difficult raising an unbonded sentinel, Charisse helps out with grounding Michael temporarly. Blair is confident that she'll be a good guide.

~~~~~~

The rest of the visit with James' family goes peacefully. They will visit briefly with Naomi before returning to work. James regularly checks to see if a guide for Michael has been found, but no luck yet.

()()(())()()(())()()

Michael and Charisse enjoy their visits to Blair's forest village. James and Blair use the opportunity to get in touch with nature and recharge their energies. With so many helpful villagers willing to watch over the inquisitive twins, James and Blair get the much needed break they need.

Naomi and Maigret now share a hut. They also look forward to visits from Blair and James.

Michael has fewer difficulties here than he does in the outside world.

Whether, it is because so many people watching out for him or just more even stimulations to his senses, James can not say. He is only grateful that Michael is relatively zone free here. Between Blair and Charisse, Michael has it easier than he did as a child.

()()(())()()(())()()

When the twins are two, James and Blair are pushed to keep up with them. Michael and Charisse get into everything and generally fulfill all the warnings about the terrible twos.

~~~~~~

Simon and Rafe are visiting James and Blair at their apartment.

"So, how are you two holding up," Simon says with a chuckle, as Charisse plays with Michael.

"Are you sure you don't want to watch them while we slip out for a moment?" Blair asks, while fighting a grin. He is only teasing Simon. James and him enjoy the antics of their children despite the constant fight to keep them out of trouble recently.

"Oh no!" Simon exclaims, holding up his hands and shaking his head. "They are yours."

"Come on, Simon, just a little while," James teases.

Rafe, watching the byplay, suddenly breaks out laughing. "Give it up, you two. You know very well that you enjoy your kids, no matter how mischievous they get."

Blair laughs and nods. "You're right, Rafe." He glances at James who is grinning.

"But is so much fun to tease Simon," James finishes Blair's thoughts.

Simon laughs and shakes his head. "Sometimes I don't know which is worst, you two or Michael and Charisse."

The four friends enjoy an evening together.

Soon Blair puts Michael and Charisse to bed. They are exhausted from playing and running around. Blair returns to the living room to find the talk has turned more serious.

"Has there been any luck in finding Michael a guide?" Simon asks.

"No, I have it set up so that they will contact us immediately if any possibilities come up. However, there has been none so far." James responds sadly. Each day, he hopes the news will come that a guide has been found.

"Will Michael have to start taking the suppression meds soon or is he on some already?" Rafe asks gently.

"No, between me and Charisse, we have been able to control his zone outs to some extent. So far, the few he has had, we have been able to pull him out of," Blair answers Rafe honestly, as he sits down beside James.

Simon and Rafe look at each before Simon speaks for both of them. "You'll let us know if we can do anything to help?"

"Certainly, and thank you," James answers his old friend.

Simon and Rafe leave soon after.

Everyone is hopeful that a guide will turn up soon for Michael. Especially James, who doesn't want his son to suffer any of what he did as he grew up.

()()(())()()(())()()

After Michael and Charisse's third birthday, James visits Rainier University to check to see if any progress has been made. At the same time, Blair is taking the twins to see their doctor at the University.

~~~~~~~

"Dean Wilkinson, has there been any possible matches for Michael?" James asks anxiously.

The Dean studies the man in front of him. He wishes he had found the guide for him instead of Henderson. Wilkinson turns to the computer and punches up Michael's name. "No, there is no match yet. Have you considered starting him on suppression medications?"

James sighs and shakes his head. "No, we wish to avoid that. I know from personal experience how unpleasant it is taking them."

"You should think of his welfare first," Wilkinson says pompously.

James grits his teeth in anger. "Our children's welfare is our top concern," James responds, as he gets to his feet. He quickly leaves the office without even saying goodbye. James is tired of dealing with the pompous idiot. From now on, he'll contact Dean Henderson at Burton College for any information.

Dean Wilkinson sits back in chair and watches James leave his office. In his opinion, if it wasn't for who James' father is, he would have nothing to do with him.

()()(())()()(())()()

James struggles to calm down before joining Blair and the twins in the doctor's office. While the visit to the doctor is unimportant, he has no wish to upset anyone there.

~~~~~~

Blair looks up as James enters. "Any luck?"

James shakes his head. "No, I'll have to contact Dean Henderson later today."

Blair nods. He is able to fill in what James is unwilling to say here. Blair has been wondering how long James would be willing to put up with Wilkinson's power hungry maneuvers and attitude. He is well aware that the Dean never did like him and only tolerates him because he is James' guide.

"How are Michael and Charisse?" James asks.

"They're doing well. Doctor Hendricks is pleased with their progress."

"Does he think that we should put Michael on medication?" James inquires quietly.

"No, thankfully. He agrees it is better if we are able to control Michael's zone outs without having to resort to chemical means." Blair passes on the doctor's diagnosis.

"Good," James declares happily, smiling for the first time since entering the doctor's office.

A nurse leads out Michael and Charisse. "Here are your parents," she tells them.

James bends down to talk to his children. "Well, did you have a nice visit with Doctor Hendricks?"

"Yes, Daddy," Charisse tells him.

"Well, except for the needle," Michael chimes in with a grimace.

"A needle?" Blair asks, knowing that Doctor Hendricks was taking a blood sample today.

"Yeah, he took our blood away," Michael says while shuffling his feet.

"Surely he only took a little," Blair teases him.

Michael frowns and considers this seriously before nodding. He then breaks out in a wide smile. "He gave us neat bandaids afterwards." Michael shows off the bandaid displaying a panther.

"Yes, Daddy, he did," Charisse says. She doesn't want to be outdone by her brother. "Mine has a wolf on it."

"So I see," Blair agrees, as he admires the bandaids. He knows that they are the latest styles of bandaids for kids. Panthers and wolves are only two of the animals that can be found on them. "Are you two ready to get something to eat?"

"Yes, Daddy," Michael and Charisse chorus together.

James and Blair lead their children out of the doctor's office. They plan on stopping to eat at a restaurant for a treat before heading home.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair are celebrating the twin's fifth birthday at the Ellison mansion. Regretfully, Naomi and Maigret were unable to make it. The party is just for the immediate family. Michael has been having a difficult time controlling his senses lately and they didn't want to place any further strain on him. While the day is subdued in comparison with other children's birthday parties, everyone still enjoyed the day. Simple games and a light meal with chocolate cake for desert is the order of the day.

~~~~~~

The next day, James places a call to Dean Henderson.

..."Dean Henderson, this is James Ellison."...

..."Hello, James. How is everything going?"...

..."Everyone is fine. I'm calling to see if there are any developments on finding a guide for Michael?"...

A tapping of the computer keys can be heard in the background.

..."I'm sorry, James, but there still isn't any matches. Is Michael doing alright?"...

..."He's okay, but he's starting to experience more frequent zone outs. So far Blair has managed to keep them from getting too deep, but it is coming to the point of either finding a guide soon or Michael going on suppression medications."...

..."I'm sorry to hear that. However, we haven't been able to find any candidates even close to matching to Michael's profile. As you are well aware, a shapeshifting guide who's compatible are very rare. I realize Charisse isn't his guide, but is she able to help Michael any?...

..."She helps out as much as she can. Unfortunately, as Michael grows older, he is reacting more to the stimulation he receives. Doctor Hendricks says that his senses are getting stronger."...

..."Which in turn means Michael is more susceptible to a zone out," Henderson concludes. ....

..."Yes, that is basically it."...

..."I will let you know if anything remotely helpful comes up."....

..."Thank you, Dean Henderson."....

James hangs up the phone just as Blair pokes his head inside the study door. James shakes his head slowly in the negative. Blair nods and enters, closing the door behind him.

"Don't worry, James. I'm sure everything will work out. It did for us." Blair encourages a despondent James.

James smiles slightly. "I know, Blair. It is just so hard to see Michael suffering even a little of what I went through."

Blair sits in James' lap and hugs him. He silently offers what comfort he is able to. Despite his encouraging words, Blair is worried too.

()()(())()()(())()()

James and Blair spend the day with the twins outside in the Ellison gardens. They have requested additional time off hoping to stabilize Michael with his senses.

James watches his family with pride. Each is different and unique in their own way.

Blair, his beloved mate, is a natural with their children. His waist long reddish brown hair is loosely plaited to avoid tangles. Blair's face is graced with a beautiful smile as he plays with Michael and Charisse. Sometimes James is still awed that he was lucky enough to be with this incredible man.

James turns his attention to Michael and sighs softly. Sometimes it is like looking into a mirror that reflects his younger self, although with slight differences. Michael possesses rich wavy dark brown hair that almost passes for black. His eyes are a clear icy blue color. His small compact body is sleakly muscled. James is sure that he will grow into a very handsome young man.

The last, but certainly not the least, is his daughter, Charisse. Charisse is beautiful slender girl whose features already hint at the heartbreaker she will be when she grows up. Her heart shaped face is surrounded by white blonde curls that already reach just past her shoulders. Surprisingly, her soft blue eyes that she had as a baby have deepened to a violet shade. If Blair's female form is any indication of what to expect, Charisse's future sentinel will have to be someone who does not get jealous easy. Not that Charisse will ever stray, but James expects she will be drawing gazes from everyone she meets. James groans softly as he realizes that he and Blair will have to act as her protectors until then. Especially, once she enters into her teens.

Blair looks up at to see James watching them and decides that is past time James joins in with them. He grabs James' hand and pulls him into the midst of the little family. "You're it, James, and no fair using your senses."

Blair, Charisse and Michael scamper away to hide as soon as James closes his eyes. Sometimes the simple children games of long ago are still the best.

()()(())()()(())()()

A week later, James is just descending the stairwell on the way to the family outdoor picnic when the doorbell rings. He hurries down the last few steps to open the door.

James opens the door to find three people on the doorstep. The man has pitch black hair and is clean shaven with hazel eyes. The woman is a vibrant redhead with green eyes. The third person is a small girl with jade green eyes and auburn hair.

"Hello, can I help you," James asks curiously.

The little girl pulls away from her parents and steps closer to James. "I want to see my Sentinel," she demands.

At the same time, James hears a door slamming from the back of the house. He knows that his family is outside in the rear garden. He notices that the woman turns her head sharply at the noise, but the man does not react.

James kneels down so he could look the girl in the eyes. "Who might you be?"

"I'm Catherine Raina Saunders. I came to find my Sentinel. Where is he?" Catherine sets her face in an obstinate expression. She has no intention of leaving, especially when she senses her sentinel so nearby.

The man steps forward and places a calming hand on his daughter's shoulder. "I'm sorry, .....," he pauses for moment, hoping James will tell him his name.

James smiles and stands up. He can hear Michael getting closer, despite Blair trying to hold him back. "I'm James Ellison." He offers his hand to shake.

The man smiles back and shakes his hand. "I'm Randolph Saunders and this is my wife, Elizabeth." Randoph smiles ruefully down at his daughter. "Catherine usually has better manners. However, we have traveled a long distance in search of her sentinel."

"I see, you are a guide as well?"

"Yes, Elizabeth is my sentinel."

"Do you mind me asking what makes Catherine so sure her sentinel is here?"

"Not at all. During our meditations, we allow our souls to ...."

Randolph is interrupted as Michael's strident voice protests being held back any longer. "No, Daddy, I have to go. My guide is here."

"Michael Wilhelm Ellison, you will behave yourself," Blair says strongly. He pulls Michael to a stop. "You will conduct yourself properly. If she is your guide, we will meet her in a little bit."

Michael bites his lip and looks beyond Blair to the open doorway. Everything in him tells him his guide is just beyond that door.

"Michael," Blair calls his attention to him softly.

Michael looks at Blair and nods. "Yes, Daddy, I'm sorry. May we go to the door, please?"

"That is better, Michael. Yes, we can go now." Blair takes Michael's hand and together they walk slowly to the door.

James who is leaning against the door jamb so he watch both Blair and the Saunders', chuckles lightly. "Sorry for the interruption, Randolph, but it appears as if Michael is as determined as Catherine."

Randolph nods in understanding. "It is quite alright. I'm afraid I was a bit unruly when I first met Elizabeth as well."

Elizabeth laughs softly. Her laugh is a musical sound that soothes everyone. "It is hard to keep destined Sentinel and Guides apart, especially ones such as ourselves."

James looks puzzledly at her. "Such as what?"

Before Elizabeth can answer, Michael and Catherine see each other for the first time.

"You are my Guide," Michael states firmly and offers his free hand to Catherine.

"You are my Sentinel," Catherine says, as she grasps his hand.

James looks at Blair who shrugs lightly. "Well at least it is a calmer meeting than ours." Blair turns to the others. "Won't you come inside? I just have to call in Charisse. James will show you to the family room."

"This way, please," James holds out a hand indicating the direction as Blair leaves the little group to get Charisse.

Michael leads the way, never releasing Catherine's hand. The three adults bring up the rear.

"Have a seat," James offers just before Blair returns with Charisse.

"Thank you," Randolph says quietly. He keeps a watchful eye on Michael and Catherine, but there appears to be no problems there. It is a good match.

Blair and Charisee enter the room. "I have refreshments on the way." Blair smiles and shakes his head lightly. "I've just realized we haven't been introduced properly. I'm Blair Sandburg and this is our daughter, Charisse. Of course, you have met our son, Michael."

Randolph and Elizabeth introduce themselves again.

"You were saying about how you knew Catherine's sentinel was here..." James prompts.

Randolph smiles. "Yes, during our meditations, we allow our souls to search for their true counterpart. This is taught when the child is about two year old. Catherine started sensing Michael then. Each year the feeling would get stronger. This year she was quite insistent that we could wait no longer to find him. So based on her instincts, we started out to search for him."

"Was it a long trip," Blair asks, as serves the refreshments.

"Yes, it was," Elizabeth answered. "We live about a thousand miles away to the east. Of course, we will be moving here for awhile."

"I don't remember any settlements out in that direction," James quietly muses aloud.

"I do," Blair says quietly. "Shaman used to tell tales of distant tribes who lived similar to us. Elizabeth, your home is in the forest, isn't it."

"Yes, it is. You have a Shaman, as well?"

"Yes, we will take you to meet him after you are all settled in. I'm not sure if you are willing, but would it be possible to have Catherine DNA profiled?"

Randolph nods solemnly. "We will consent for her. We knew we would have to make some adjustments when we traveled here. I'm sure it will be similar to those you yourself made."

Blair nods and grins. "Yes, I'm sure they will be. James and I are both with the police. We have been looking for Michael's guide since he was born and are very happy that he has found her."

Elizabeth, watching the Ellisons carefully, gathers enough courage to ask a delicate question. "Blair, are Michael and Charisse your children or are they James'?"

James laughs heartily. "Sorry," he gasps between bouts of laughter. "It's just that we have gotten used to everyone knowing about us."

Blair shakes his head at James but can't help smiling as well. "Behave yourself, James," he gently admonishes him. "Elizabeth, do you mind if I ask you a question first before answering yours?"

"No, please ask."

"You mentioned Sentinels and Guides such as ourselves. What did you mean?"

Elizabeth looks at Randolph who nods silently. "We are shapeshifters, as is Catherine."

"Really," James calms himself to ask. He leans forward curiously. "What are your animal forms?"

Randolph answers quietly. "I'm a black wolf. Elizabeth is a puma and Catherine is a red wolf."

"Will you answer my question now, Blair?" Elizabeth asks.

"Yes, of course, Michael and Charisse are both James' and mine. I guess technically, James is the father and I'm the mother."

"I don't understand."

Blair takes a deep breath before continuing. "Besides being a shapeshifter like the rest of my family, I'm also a changeling. I'm able to become a woman when I wish too."

Elizabeth looks at Randolph quickly. They share identical expressions that contain both shock and amazement.

"The last changeling known in our village was two hundred years ago. While shapeshifting will occur more frequently, especially in the last hundred years. You realize how rare and precious a gift you have, Blair?" Elizabeth says in awed voice.

Blair blushes a little before nodding. "Yes, I do know. I'm thankful for the ability since it allowed me to bear two beautiful children with James."

Charisse, who was watching Michael and Catherine talking quietly at the far end of the room, tugs on Blair's sleeve. "Daddy, why don't I have a mate like Michael?" she asks with a sad expression.

"Oh, Honey," Blair murmurs softly, as he pulls her onto his lap. "Your sentinel will come. You believe me on this, don't you?"

Charisse looks carefully into Blair's eyes before slowly nodding. "Yes, Daddy, I believe you. But when will he come?"

Blair hugs her tightly. "He will come soon, Charisse."

Charisse smiles tremously and tries to put on a brave face. "Okay, Daddy. Can we have a picnic tomorrow, please?"

"If the weather is nice," Blair agrees quietly. "Why don't you let Sally know we will need a couple of guests rooms prepared?"

Charisse squirms off Blair's lap. "Yes, Daddy," she says with a smile and runs off to find Sally.

"She is a beautiful little girl," Randolph compliments Blair.

"Thank you."

Conversation turns to swapping of life histories and plans on where the Saunders are going to live.

()()(())()()(())()()

The next day is clear and sunny. In the afternoon, the two families head out into the gardens at the back of mansion for a picnic. Grace and William left early that morning to meet Stephan's fiancée.

~~~~~~~

The three children change to their animal forms to play in the small grove of trees.

The adults watch the playful antics of their children. It was confirmed by DNA testing that morning that Catherine was indeed the perfect match for Michael. Although the DNA test was mainly for the world at general, everyone already knew from watching them together that it is a true match. Catherine was able to prove this by effortlessly pulling Michael from his zone this morning.

"Shall we join them?" Blair suggests with a grin.

Randolph answers back with a matching grin and changes to a small black wolf.

Blair, James, and Elizabeth quickly follow suit and join the children.

~~~~~~~

A couple of hours later, everyone is resting after eating. James hears a slight rustling from the far end of the forest.

Blair, noticing James' sudden alertness, asks quietly, "What is it?"

"I heard something from that direction," James indicates by waving toward the grove of trees.

"I heard it, too," Elizabeth says quietly. "Should we go and check it out?"

James listens intently while Blair silently grounds him with a hand to the small of his back. James smiles. "No, I don't think it will be necessary. They mean us no harm."

Just then, a group of three animals emerge into the sunshine from the trees. A white Bengal tiger cub shies back into the shade with a soft noise of discomfort. On either side of him is an ocelot and a coyote. The two adult animals turn to comfort the cub and provide protection from the sun.

Charisse jumps up and changes quickly. As a silvery white wolf, she runs to the newcomers.

The ocelot and coyote notice her arrival and make room for her. Charisse nudges the cub with her muzzle. The tiger moves closer to her and lies down at her feet. Charisse curls up beside the cub and rests her head on his shoulder.

The ocelot and coyote change into a man and woman. They sigh happily and hug each other as they look down at the wolf and tiger. The man is about six feet tall with brown hair and blue eyes. The woman is about five feet seven inches with long golden blonde hair and hazel eyes.

James and Blair come up to them.

"Hello, I'm Blair Sandburg and this is James Ellison."

The man turns to them. "Hello, I'm Alik Snow and this is my wife, Ariel. We were not sure if we would be able to make it. Lyon was getting to be in bad shape. Ariel could no longer stop his zoning and the slightest things seem to cause him pain."

"Is Lyon a sentinel?" James asks.

"Yes, he is. Our tribal elders suggested coming here when they heard tales of the shapeshifter sentinel and guide. They hoped that you would be able to help us with Lyon. Admittedly, we had almost given up hope of him finding a guide."

Blair looks down at the exhausted tiger. "It is hard to tell what age he is in this form. How old is he?"

"He is ten. How old is she?"

"Charisse is five," Blair replies.

Michael joins his parents with the Saunders in tow just as introductions are finished.

Blair places a hand on Michael's shoulder. "This is our son, Michael, and his guide, Catherine. Randolph and Elizabeth are Catherine's parents. Would you like to come up the house to rest?"

"Thank you, that would be appreciated," Alik agrees tiredly.

Everyone helps the exhausted family into the mansion. Guests rooms are quickly prepared. Charisse opts to stay with Lyon. Blair understands her decision and is pleased that she is found her sentinel.

()()(())()()(())()()

The Siberian tiger awakens to find a young girl lying beside him on the bed. Her hair is white blonde and he finds her to be very beautiful. Lyon suddenly realizes that the pain he has learned to associate with being awake is gone. Can this girl be the guide he was destined to meet? Were the tribal elders right in their assurances?

Charisse awakens from her nap to look into the tiger's eyes. Violet eyes meet sapphire blue eyes.

"Hello, my name is Charisse Nyomi Ellison-Sandburg. What is yours?"

The tiger changes to human form. He is a strapling boy with shoulder-length sandy brown hair.

"My name is Lyon Allen Snow," he huskily answers. "Are you my guide?"

"Yes, I am and you are my sentinel." Charisse lays one small hand on his arm. "Come with me and meet my family." Charisse hops off the bed and holds out a hand.

Lyon takes her hand and together they walk downstairs to join the others in the family room.

~~~~~~

Blair looks up as they enter. "Well, Lyon, you look much more rested. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, Sir."

Blair chuckles. "No need to be so formal, Lyon. Call me Blair. I'm Charisse's Dad. This is my husband, James. The others are Michael, Catherine, Randolph and Elizabeth." Blair introduces each person by pointing them out to Lyon.

"Pleased to meet you all," Lyon murmurs in his honey rough voice. He turns to his parents. "Charisse, this is Alik and Ariel, my parents."

"Hello. Thank you for bringing him to me," Charisse solemnly says, before smiling with happiness that seems to radiate from her entire being.

"We are the ones who are thankful, Charisse," Ariel says.

()()(())()()(())()()

Prior to dinner, James slips out to make three quick phone calls. One is to Dean Henderson to let him that both Michael and Charisse have found their mates. The second is to Stephan's to let his family know that Charisse's sentinel has arrived at last. The last is to Simon and Rafe to let them know the good news.

()()(())()()(())()()

At dinner that evening, it was decided that the Saunders and the Snows would move into James' and Blair's spacious home. The house was more than big enough with three separate wings and large communal areas. It was purchased so that they would have plenty of room for any visitors they might have. It would allow the newest sentinel and guide pairs to stay together. Also, it would allow the three sets of parents to chaperone the children better. By bonding so early, it will allow them to build a stronger sentinel/guide bond and friendship. They will not be expected to physical consummate their bonds until they are of age. Already, the three families were well on the way to being good friends.

 

~~~()()()()()()()()~~~~

The end for now. Please let me know if you'd be interested in more.