On the Outside: A New Path

Feedback: on list or off, is always much appreciated (kbfan@msn.com)

Archive: C5, TS...anyone else, please let me know first...ty!

Disclaimer: See Part 1

Rating: R

Notes: Ok...so they finally ran into each other...and this time it's not all talk...LOL. Hope you all enjoy, and have a great Christmas. I hope this is enough to get you through the holidays while I'm on vacation, I promise to get right back to work when I get back!

Thank you, thank you, thank, everyone who has sent fb on the story so far. Your thoughts, comments and encouragement are greatly appreciated. Also, to Caly, thank you for being patient with me and my little quirks...you're a saint. Oh yeah, and the beta too (hehe)


On the Outside 5: A New Path
By Jacki

"Toby?"

"Chris?"

The two men stood in the silvery light, their eyes locked across the short distance between them. This wasn't how either of them had pictured their next meeting; every detailed plan, every well- rehearsed line had suddenly become moot. Something more powerful than either man had intervened; Fate had brought them to this place.

Both men, again, began to speak simultaneously.

"How'd..." Chris's question trailed off as he concentrated on Toby's words.

"What are you doing here?" Toby asked, obviously flustered by this unexpected encounter.

Chris searched Toby's face, looking for any sign that indicated the blond was on the verge of fleeing. He saw, instead, a mixture of bewilderment and confusion. Chris tilted his head to the side before answering.

"Had a few days off, decided why not get out of the city," Chris replied, imploring his voice to not betray him. His heart had been pounding a relentless, staccato rhythm since the moment he had turned around to find the man who had haunted his thoughts standing before him.

"Oh," Toby responded. He wasn't entirely sure if he was capable of any further speech at that point; his vocal cords felt as if they were being held in the steel grip of a vise.

"I could ask you the same question. This is definitely one place I never would have expected to find you," Chris said; he had unconsciously slipped into the familiar defense mechanism.

Toby brought his hand to his throat, massaging lightly along his Adam's apple, as his mind composed a response to Chris's question.

"There are a lot of things about me you might not expect," Toby feigned confidence, his sarcastic retort in answer to Chris's tone of voice.

`Shit, I'm doing it again,' Chris thought. He had promised himself that when he next saw Toby he wasn't going to fall back to his normal posturing; he had intended something that wasn't quite so comfortable. Vulnerability.

"I didn't really mean that they way it sounded," Chris tried to explain. "It's just, you struck me as the kind of person who takes Caribbean holidays and ski trips to Aspen, not someone who would willingly stay in a cabin in the middle of nowhere."

"Well, I guess you were wrong," Toby mumbled, slightly disconcerted by the subtle change in Chris's demeanor. He wasn't exactly sure how he was supposed to respond.

Chris heard Toby's quiet response; he could see the confusion clouding Toby's clear blue eyes. If he still meant to plead his case, he'd better start talking before his mouth decided to spout another sarcastic gem. However, he didn't want to do it here.

"Toby," he started, tentatively. "There is actually something I thought we should talk about." His gaze was questioning as he looked into the other man's eyes, hoping for agreement.

Toby was relieved when he heard Chris's proposal, it would give him the opportunity to try and repair the damage he had done.

"Okay," Toby answered, cautiously. "But, I'm freezing, you think we could do this somewhere a little less outside." Toby wrapped his arms around himself, making his point.

Chris laughed, "Sure. We can go back to my cabin. If you want."

"Well, that would probably be good, since I don't even know how to get back to mine. The minute it got dark, I seemed to lose all sense of direction," Toby could feel his face flush as he admitted his inexperience.

"Then, my cabin it is," Chris answered. "Follow me, it's not too far from here."

Chris's heart was beating wildly as he started back down the scarcely trodden path; he couldn't believe he was about to get the chance he had been dreaming about for the past long, lonely days. He could hear Toby's footfalls behind him, secure in the knowledge that the man trusted him enough to follow him blindly through the dark, dense foliage. It was a start and as long as Chris could let his guard down long enough to tell Toby everything, maybe, just maybe, he had a chance.

The two men trekked along the path for a short time before stepping out onto the dusty road.

"That's it, right over there," Chris said, pointing toward the front of a cabin that was lit with a faint porch lamp.

"Thank God," Toby murmured, his teeth chattering as he spoke. "I'm freezing here."

Chris led the way to the front steps; he stopped, letting Toby start up ahead of him. Chris was unaware that he had placed his hand on the small of the other man's back as they ascended the rickety stairs. Toby shivered, this time not from the cold.

Chris moved toward the door and slid the tarnished brass key in the lock. The two men stepped into the relative warmth of the interior. Toby looked around at the small room, it was similar to the cabin he occupied. He turned and looked at Chris, not sure of what to do now that they were inside.

"I'm going outside, get a bundle of wood. I'll start a fire, take the chill out of the air in here. Make yourself comfortable." Chris went back to the open door and disappeared out of sight.

"Thanks," Toby replied awkwardly. He had no idea what he was going to say when they got around to the "talk"; Toby had been hoping to sort through all that over the next few days. Now here he was, sure that whatever he said would make him sound like an utter fool.

Toby could hear Chris coming back up the stairs, he went to the door opening it, sure that Chris had his hands full. Chris was taken aback when the door swung open.

"Thanks," he said.

"Least I could do. I was sort of feeling a little useless," Toby began. "First I get lost, then I just stand around while you go and get the wood." He could feel the heat rising in his cheeks as his
face flushed.

"S'k," Chris answered, clumsily walking toward the fireplace, his well-sculpted forearms balancing the stack of logs.

Chris bent down and piled the wood into the hearth; he struck a long wooden match and expertly lit the fire. The tender wood crackled as it ignited, the mingled scent of hickory and oak filled the room. Chris remained stooped in front of the fire, he had to compose his thoughts before he laid his soul bare before this man.

Toby watched Chris's form as he bent in front of the cobbled stone fireplace; he stared fascinated, as the sinews of Chris's muscular back rippled beneath the flannel shirt that covered his torso. Toby could feel his heartbeat accelerate and his blood rushing toward his groin, as his body reacted to the gracefulness of Chris's bearing.

`Oh Jesus,' he muttered, inwardly. He didn't want Chris to see his body's reaction; he slumped down onto the soft cushions of the couch and pulled a pillow across his lap.

Chris stared into the bright orange flame, the heat rushing over his body. He steeled himself for what he was about to do as he turned to face the guileless blond behind him. Chris pushed himself up from his haunches and deliberately stepped toward the couch. He lowered his body down on the opposite end.

"Well, I guess this is it," he started; his voice no louder than a whisper. "I've been thinking..."

Toby interrupted his thought, "Me too. Chris, I know what you're going to say." His words came out in a rush.

"Oh, really," Chris said, arching his eyebrow. His eyes locked on Toby's reddened face.

"It was all my fault...I shouldn't have said...I didn't mean...Oh, fuck!" Toby lowered his head into his hands.

Chris was tempted to move toward him, comfort him in some way. However, he couldn't, not until he said what he needed to say.

"Toby, just listen to me for a minute," Chris implored.

He watched as the pale blue eyes rose and looked at him.

"Jesus, this is hard," Chris said, more to himself than to the other man. Taking a deep breath, he began, "I don't really know how to say this...ummm...ok, here goes. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the way I treated you. I'm sorry for throwing you out. I don't know how many other ways to say it. But, Toby, here's the thing, I felt something with you. And if you knew me better you'd know, I've never felt anything with any of them. Sexual satisfaction, sure, but nothing more. Until you." Chris gulped at the air hungrily, he had spoken without taking a breath.

Toby's eyes had widened throughout Chris's speech.. He was shocked by Chris's words. Toby hadn't expected this; he had assumed that Chris wanted to berate him, or tell him that he never wanted to see him again. He'd never given himself the freedom to believe anything else.

"What did you just say?" incredulity shading his tone of voice.

"You heard me," Chris replied; he wasn't sure he could have repeated himself. Expectantly, he searched Toby's face.

"Ummm...yeah, I did. It's just that...I'm just shocked." Unintentional nervous laughter escaped his lips.

Chris tried to hide the hurt he felt. He knew this wasn't going to be easy, but he had hoped that Toby could at least take him seriously. Chris stood up and paced toward the warmth of the fire.

"Chris," Toby aimed the word at his back. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Chris muttered. "I shouldn't have said anything."

Chris could hear Toby rise and his quiet footsteps as he moved closer. A soft hand settled on his shoulder, urging him to turn. Chris slowly rotated until he was again eye to eye with the other man.

"No, really, I'm sorry," Toby whispered. "I didn't mean to laugh."

Chris searched his face for any sign that Toby was just trying to placate him. He found none. Chris stepped closer, bridging the space between them.

"You mean?" he asked, his voice husky.

"Yeah, I think so," Toby answered, gently trailing his fingers down Chris's flannel clad arm.

Chris leaned in, unable to resist the full pouting lips. He crushed his mouth against Toby, hungry for contact. The kiss was deep, penetrating; lips parted and his tongue darted into a warm mouth. It was hot and moist, welcoming his gentle exploration.

Toby slid his tongue against Chris's, the flexible muscles twisting and turning in a sensual duel. Toby was having trouble thinking, breathing. The kiss threatened to suffocate him. He welcomed the feeling, wanting only to drown in Chris's warmth.

Chris wrapped his solid arms around Toby's shoulders; one hand resting on his nape, fingers twining in the soft blond hair. Chris nudged Toby's body, pressing their bodies together as they stumbled backwards toward the couch. Pulling back, Chris broke the kiss, taking quick breaths to refresh his lungs.

Toby flinched as the intimate contact was broken, he didn't want this to end. "Chris," he sighed, trying to pull the other man closer.

"It's ok, I'm not going anywhere," Chris murmured. "Relax."

Toby could only nod as he felt Chris's body pressed against him, lowering them both down onto the soft cushions. Chris's knees were on either side of Toby's hips as their bodies pushed into the pliant seat. Toby wrapped his hands behind Chris neck, pulling his head down closer. He captured the soft lips, Chris's mouth opened and Toby accepted the invitation. Tongues swirled and caressed as they explored the hidden depths, grazing along teeth and massaging palettes.

Toby arched his back, crushing himself to Chris's lithe form. The contact sent shivers racing down Chris's spine, even through the layers of clothing he could feel the heat emanating from Toby's skin. Chris's fingers skimmed along Toby's jawline, tracing intricate patterns on his stubbled cheek.

Chris felt Toby's hand slide along his back, coming to rest on the curve of his hip. Tentatively he felt Toby's fingers inching toward his groin, his cock twitched. Chris withdrew, reluctantly from
Toby's kiss swollen lips.

"Is this really what you want?" he asked, worried that Toby would change his mind.

"Yes," Toby answered, his desire evident.

"But, shouldn't we talk..." Chris didn't want this to end with either of them feeling used, he wouldn't do that to Toby.

"We can talk later. Right now, this is what I need," his last word a resolute sigh.

Chris couldn't resist the look on Toby's face. He lowered his head down toward the blond's throat, nuzzling into the bend between neck and shoulder. Toby tilted his head, giving Chris access to the sensitive flesh. Nibbling and sucking, Chris ministered to the area, eliciting quiet moans from the man beneath him.

Toby's hand continued it's journey, pausing briefly to stroke Chris's hardened shaft through the soft denim.

"Unnhh," Chris groaned, his voice muffled against Toby's neck.

Reacting to the sound, Toby began to unfasten Chris's jeans, popping the buttons one by one. As the last one opened, Chris's erection sprang free. Toby cradled the swollen flesh as he ran his thumb lightly across the slit, spreading the sticky substance that had seeped from the tiny opening.

Chris sighed, his body sagging against the other man; the feel of Toby's hand wrapped around him sent electric shocks throughout his body. Toby had been unsure of his actions, but judging from Chris's reaction he knew he must be doing something right.

Chris reached his hand down, brushing against Toby's stroking fingers, as he worked to unclasp the blond's pants. He undid the button and yanked the zipper down, impatient for the feel of Toby's cock rubbing against him. Chris maneuvered the other man's clothing down, Toby's engorged member curving into his hand. Chris fondled him tenderly, before bringing Toby's cock in contact with his own.

Toby groaned unintelligibly at the feel of his shaft against Chris's, every cell in his body seemed to be on fire. Chris gently moved Toby's hand as he began grinding his pelvis against him. Their cocks rubbed together, the friction almost too much to handle. Toby followed Chris's lead, thrusting up to meet the other man's strokes. Vigorously the two men pumped against one another; hearts raced as their hips pounded. Faster and faster they moved, the contact breathtaking in its intensity.

Chris could feel himself tense, he knew he wasn't going to last much longer. He wanted this to last, but he knew that he couldn't slow down now. The need for release suddenly imperative.

Toby gasped as they rubbed together, the passion almost dizzying in its strength. He moved against Chris's hardness; his cock began to quiver as semen streamed out, covering them both. The feel of the warm fluid brought Chris to the edge.

"Tobe..." his voice a strangled cry as he came forcefully, his cock throbbing in orgasm.

Their sticky emanations mingled between them as Chris collapsed onto Toby's shaking form. Both men lay spent, trying to control their rapid breathing. Time seemed to stop as neither man moved, content just to stay wrapped in each other.

Too soon time resumed, Chris lifted his head from Toby's chest to gaze into sated eyes. Toby smiled.

`Is this what it feels like?' Chris asked himself, basking in the afterglow. `I never knew I could feel this safe, this comfortable.'

"Chris," Toby whispered, afraid to break the intimate connection between them.

"Huh?" Chris answered quietly, aware of the fragility of their situation.

"Thank you."

Chris didn't know what to say, `your welcome' just didn't seem adequate. Instead, he brushed a tender kiss on Toby's sweat-slicked cheek. He was the one who should offering thanks; something had finally gone right in his life. Toby had given him a second chance.

Reluctantly, Chris sat up, breaking their connection. "You wanna wash up?" he asked.

"Umm, sure," Toby answered, relieved that he wasn't being kicked out again.

"Bathroom's over there," Chris pointed to the first door in the hallway. "If you want, I'll grab some sweats and a T-shirt, if you want to change." Chris asked impetuously; now that he had Toby here, he didn't want to let him go.

`He wants me to stay, is that what he's saying?' Toby's mind was reeling.

"Ummm, yeah. That would be great. Thanks."

"No problem," Chris said as he rose from the couch and walked toward the bedroom.

Toby sat up, levering himself on the arm of the couch as he stood. He went into the bathroom. Stripping his clothes onto the floor, he picked up a washcloth to clean up. He finished just as he heard a soft knock on the bathroom door. Toby opened the door a crack, Chris stood in the hallway holding the fresh clothes. Toby looked Chris up and down, realizing that the other man had already changed; he must have used the sink in the kitchen.

"Those should fit," he said as he handed him a pair of sweat and a white T-shirt.

"Thanks again."

Chris nodded as Toby shut the door and slipped into the clothes, he could smell Chris in the soft cotton. When he was done he walked back out into the living room, Chris was sitting on the couch staring into the fire. Toby studied his profile in the flickering light; the long, aquiline nose, the curve of his jaw. He still wasn't sure this was really happening.

Chris could feel Toby's presence; he turned his gaze from the hypnotizing flames to look at Toby. Chris rose from the couch.

"You ready to go to bed?" he asked, hopefully.

Toby's mind processed the question. Chris did want him to stay.

The silence stretched as Chris berated him self for his presumptuousness. "I'm sorry. I just thought..."

Toby realized what Chris was going to say. "Don't be sorry. I want to stay."

Chris sighed in relief, releasing the breath he had taken when Toby started speaking. "Good," he smiled.

Chris crossed the room; he stopped in front of Toby, running his fingers lightly down the other man's arm from shoulder to wrist. He twined his fingers with Toby's soft hand and led him toward the bedroom.


-TO BE CONTINUED-