Title: Mything You

Author: Growly

sesshou_maru@yahoo.com

Fandom: The Myth Books

Pairing: n/a (preslash)

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me. They belong to Robert Asprin.

Notes: This is set during the events of "Myth-nomers and Im-Pervections"

Summary: Skeeve thinks about Aahz after his partner leaves in a huff.

Warnings: Spoilers for "Myth-nomers and Im-Pervections"


Mything You
by Growly



Oh when I'm lonely
I lie awake at night
And I wish you were here
I miss you
Can you tell me
Is there something more to believe in
Or is this all there is?


I don't really know how long I sat in the hotel room watching the rain against the grimy wall of the building next door. The wall never got any cleaner, despite the drenching. The dirt was caked so thickly that perhaps nothing would be able to restore the original color. That's what I was thinking, but not quite in those terms. I was thinking about Aahz.

For those of you not in the know, I am Skeeve - also known in certain circles as "The Great Skeeve" and I'm a magician. Aahz is - or was - my partner. We first met when my master Garkin was killed by what I thought were devils. I have since learned the pronunciation is actually Deveels - and that the assassins were not from Deva but from Imper which, of course, made them Imps. But being the easily impressed bumpkin I was at the time I simply didn't know any better.

Having spent several years as Aahz's apprentice - and a few more as his full partner - I've learned a lot about the dimensions and magik, more than I'd ever dreamed possible. We've gotten into our fair share of messes, but I could always count on my old mentor to help bail me out of whatever scrape we got into. Now though, I'm in another mess and there is no one to bail me out but myself. After all, I got into it just fine all on my own.

With a sigh, I leaned my forehead against the glass wondering if any amount of rain could clean that wall, or more importantly: if any words of mine could wash away the layer of hurt feelings that had built up between me and Aahz.

I've learned so much about... well... everything from him, you' d think I'd at least be able to find the words to apologize for the things I've done so wrong-headedly. But no, I'm still drawing a blank when I try to picture any confrontation between myself and my former partner. But then I've never been all that good with words - that was Aahz's forte.

A small bittersweet smile crossed my lips as I thought about all the times Aahz had talked his way out of problems - and talked his way into others. IF someone had told me a long time ago that I would miss a green scaly demon, I would have laughed. I'm not laughing now. With Aahz gone, it's like I've lost an arm or a leg. No, worse. An essential part of me. If not for Aahz, I would not be the person I am today; I might not even be alive.

In all his bluff and bluster and hot temper, Aahz has been the truest friend and family I've ever known. If that's not worth a trip to this god-awful dimension then I guess my entire life to day amounts to a lot of nothing. After a while, I let my eyes close, wondering if I was exhausted enough to actually sleep, or if lying down would merely spur more of those self-recriminating thoughts. Maybe it was just as well, I was in one of those rare moods to do penance and it seems the only person around to do any reproaching is me.

Face it, kid. You're not nearly as good as your old mentor at chewing someone out

There was no helping the smile that crossed my face at that thought, but it faded quickly. I was already accustomed to guilt - although I liked to think that I wasn't wallowing in it, as Kalvin had said. But it still stung to think over the conversations I'd had with everyone and all the hints that had flown right over my head. Maybe I'm not so far removed from the ignorant bumpkin I used to be after all... Finally, I shed my outer garments and flung myself down on the bed with a frustrated groan. The past few days had been full of lessons - most of them unpleasant.

Kalvin's words, and especially the Butterfly's had struck a sensitive chord and left me reeling mentally and emotionally. Were they right? Turning over, I stared at the ceiling long enough to memorize the pattern of cracks and water stains. The Butterfly had said that I needed to take charge of my own life, and Kalvin had as much as seconded the advice. But could I do that with Aahz around? Would I even want to? I could count on one hand the number of times I had deliberately and willfully defied him – openly at least. If I convinced him to come back, would it still be the same? I didn't know, and at the moment a positive outcome was so far from likely that my mind couldn't even begin to entertain the thought.

Idly I tugged at one of the blankets, never really noticing it. My mind was just too occupied going around and around in the same circle. It never seemed to actually get anywhere. Sitting up, I ran a hand through my already ruffled hair. If Aahz was here what would he say?

No. Strike that. More importantly – if Aahz were here, what would I say? Should I ask him to come back? Plead with him? Or perhaps
play on our friendship?

"Oh, Aahz," I sighed, still not sure of what I would say. Not now, and not when (and if) I saw Aahz again. "I'm missing you a lot. More than I ever thought I could." Nothing else would come out, but somehow the words held a great deal more meaning than they should. At this point in my life I was the hottest magician at the Bazaar and the president of a corporation. I had no time to waste on tears. But somehow I found myself crying like a little kid and I couldn't stop.

I fell asleep with my cheeks still wet, but the rain continued long into the night, still trying to wash away the past.



*fin*