Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-02-01
Words:
20,315
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
22
Hits:
2,651

Unrequited

Summary:

Jimmy Olsen's past comes to light when a serial killer stalks his old neighborhood. Deciding he is the one to investigate, Jimmy goes undercover.

Jimmy/Clark

Crossdressing, Violence, Language, Reference to Sexual Acts, Prostitution, and Minor Character Deaths.

Chapter 1: Only

Chapter Text

Title: Unrequited
Author: Lopaka Tanu
Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership of Superman.
Characters: Clark, Jimmy, Perry, Lois, Cat.
Wordcount: 20130
Prompt: 15 Hookers
Fandom: Lois & Clark: New Adventures of Superman
Pairing: Clark/Jimmy
Rating: Adult
Spoilers/Timeline: 1x09 Man of Iron Bars.
Warning: Prostitution, Graphic Violence, Character Death, Angst, Language, and Cross Dressing.
Summary: Jimmy Olsen's past comes to light when a serial killer stalks his old neighborhood.
Author's Note: Not so light hearted as the television series.
______________________________________

 

<b>Dear Reesie Jones is an advice column subject to trademark of the Metropolis Rising Star.

Dear Reesie,

Recently, a colleague of mine has been making unwanted advances towards another colleague.  Not in that way, but in that mooning over her from his desk, willing to do anything she wants kind of way.  The problem between them, she doesn't even acknowledge that he exists unless she wants something or he's done something wrong in her eyes.  He's my friend and I worry about him, what this is doing to him.  I've seen what her constant attitude can do to people and don't want to see him fall victim to it.  DL is a nice guy, kinda sweet and shy in that small town way, he deserves better than MM.

How can I help him see this without looking like a busy body?
Jackie O, Metropolis.</b>

Dear Jackie,

Sugar, I hate to see this kind of situation, it never ends pretty for any involved.  Your colleague, MM, seems to be what is known as a user.  Her own selfish wants and needs blind her to any one she considers inferior to her.  I bet she has a crush on or longs for powerful men who are beyond her reach.  

The best you can hope for is to keep your friendship with DL after this.  If he truly is a good friend, he will, in time, learn to forgive you for interfering in his life.  Sadly, honey, I don't think there is a way you can do this without appearing a busy body.  I get the feeling you already knew this, but it is best to know someone agrees with you.

The best course of action is to state clearly the situation as you see it, how this makes you feel, and your intentions to him.  He will, of course, be angry if his self esteem hasn't dropped too low.  If he does not get angry, you may have to seek professional help for him.  I am including a list of local professionals, not all of them are doctors in case he does not feel he can trust them, who can help.  

If you can remain strong and let him know you are there for him, in time he may come around.  I can not stress how important it is that you remain open and honest with him at all times.  Once you hide things from him, any hope of a future friendship with him will be lost.

Jackie, I ask that you write me back from time to time just to keep in touch on your situation in case you need my help again.

Love and Strength,
Reesie Jones.

~~~~~~<~~~~~~~~~

Dropping the paper, Lois scoffed in derision.  "Can you believe this crap?  I can't understand how or why anyone would want to vent their issues in such a way."  Turning to Clark, she smiled.  He had handed the newspaper to her folded so the article was on top while they waited for Perry to show for the staff briefing.  "Why exactly did you want me to read this hack's column?  Are you trying to tell me something, Kent?"Grinning, Clark shook his head and sat back.  When it came to personal matters, Lois was as thick as lead.  "Just wanted your opinion on the Rising Star's top syndicated columnist."
Picking up the paper, she slapped him in the chest with it.  "Keep your rags in the dust ben, Smallville.  I've got better things to waste my time on than worrying about your mental state given your preoccupation with whiny gossips."  After she picked up her pen, she reclined over her partition of the briefing room table.  "Does anyone know where Perry is?"

Glancing up from his place across the table from Lois and Clark, Jimmy pulled the pencil eraser from his mouth and cleared his throat.  "Last I heard, he was still trying to avoid the news room as much as possible due to certain comments and wolf whistles.  He'll be in on time, Lois, there's still five minutes until the briefing."  He colored up to his black hair from the look she gave him.  "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, just get him here."  Still a little miffed at having been tricked in to reading an advice column, she misdirected her anger at the younger man.  Who was Clark to assume she didn't understand his meaning?  She knew perfectly well what he was implying with it, of course he was completely unjustified.  Being Kent from Hickville, USA, he just didn't quite get the way things were.  Given time, she might train him yet.  "Jimmy, that wasn't a suggestion."

"Yes, Lois."  Rising from his chair, Jimmy was about to head to the editor's office to 'fetch' Perry, but his task was abated by the arrival of said man.  Smiling gratefully to the older man, Jimmy returned to his seat.  "Welcome, chief."

"Jimmy, I told you not to call me that."  Closing the briefing room door behind him, Perry glared at the amused looks of his people.  "All right, people, listen up.  I've heard the last remark about my pale legs I'm going to ever hear.  The next person who says something is fired, you hear me?"

"Aye, sir."  Saluting, Jimmy couldn't keep the snort of amusement in check.

"That's what I like to hear.  Now, on to more important business."  Taking his seat, Perry tossed a folder on to the table between Lois and Clark.  "Lois, I want you to cover the Almassy Society gig, take Clark along with you.  See what you two can drum up about the recent murder of their members."

"Almassy Society, sir?  I haven't heard of any social club murders."  Having raised his hand, Clark lowered it at the looks everyone was giving him.  "What am I missing?"

"The Almassy Society isn't a social club, CK, at least not by your standards."  Outwardly, Jimmy was smiling at the shared joke with the rest of his colleagues.  On the inside, it was a challenge to remain in his seat.  "You won't find anything written about them in the papers outside the police blotter.  At least nothing respectable."

"The AS is an underground organization of the city's prostitutes.  For a small fee, it provides protection, allegedly.  In reality, it's a Democratic Order of pimps."  Perry deliberately kept his focus on Clark.  His posture let the others know he wasn't in a joking mood and they quickly sobered.  "Most of their members are in the Suicide Slums, quite literally on the wrong side of the tracks.  Metropolis Rail Depot cuts the city in half.  That's where you and Lois are going."

"What about me, chief?"  The look Perry sent him made Jimmy shrink in his seat.  It was worth a shot.

"Cat, I want that piece on Davy Montgomery.  What are his people doing about keeping the Metropolis Museum open?  Alice was looking forward to that banquet this year until they canceled it.  Stick his balls in a vice if you have to, if I have to suffer for it so should he."

~~~~~<hr>~~~~

Jimmy avoided running in to Perry by staying out of sight until the man had gone back in his office.  When he was certain he was in the all clear, he skulked his way over to Lois' desk to sit on the edge.  As he watched her and Clark interact by the coffee machine, he let his fingers slide over to the folder the chief had given her.  Looking around, he quickly flipped it open.

The sight of the first picture in the folder made the whistle die half formed on his lips.  He sat there stunned for a full minute until Lois distracted him by slamming the folder shut.  Glancing up at her surprised, he settled wide eyed further on her desk.  "Sorry."

"Get lost, Jimmy."  Her words lacked any hint of anger.  Giving his shoulder a gentle shove, she sent him on his way.  "Come on, Clark, we have work to do."  Opting for a light shoulder bag only for essentials given the heat, Lois pulled out her hand fan.  If she was going to hoof it across the city to the train depot, she really wasn't going to risk a heat stroke.

Instead of wandering off, Jimmy stuck close to Lois' desk.  He knew she would take the file with her, but it didn't matter, he already saw what he needed to.  The comforting hand on his shoulder drew his attention to the solid presence at his side.  Looking to Clark, he pointed over his shoulder.  "I, uh, have...  Yeah."  He started to walk away, but the hand remained.  Shrugging it off, he stumbled towards the copy room to be alone.

Unbuttoning his suit jacket, Clark followed Lois to the elevator.  He waited until the doors had closed before turning to her.  "Those pictures must be pretty bad to make Jimmy..."

"Drop it, Kent."  In no mood, Lois folded her arms over her chest.  When he looked to press the matter, she handed him the folder.  Let him do the research for once.

Clark quickly scanned the reports, saving the pictures for last.  He may have been superman, but that didn't make him any less susceptible to the horror.  Much to his confusion, the pictures were pretty tame in comparison to most crime scenes involving a body.  "I still don't get it."

"I said drop it, Clark, I'm not asking.  What do the reports tell you about the killer?"  When the doors opened in to the lobby, Lois grabbed Clark by the arm and dragged him out.  The heat was worse on the ground floor and it was making her irritable.  Knowing her reputation, she was glad that people cleared a path for her.  She would hate to have to delay investigating a story just because someone inconvenienced her by having to be killed for being annoying.

In a common state of confusion, at least where it concerned Lois, Clark allowed her to take out her frustration on him.  He was durable, he could handle the extra strain.  While she guided them, he decided to look through the folder again.  The people in it were generally around the same age, early twenties.  Male or female, that and being prostitutes seemed to be the only connecting factor.

Turning over the photos, he saw that on the backs of the right hands were brands.  The two women had A's while the four men had S's.  Had he not known it about the AS, he would have thought they stood for something else.  Now that he did, he was inclined to agree with the police about the meaning.  Of course, the police had clearly stated the part about the branding was not to be put in print or even hinted at.

Before he knew it, Clark was being shoved head first in to the back seat of a cab.  Lois' purse was placed upon his lower back as she got in behind him.  Slamming the door shut, she glared at the Cabby.  "Touch the thermostat on that AC and you die.  Take us to Metropolis Rail Depot and if you take the long route they won't find the body."

Clark didn't need X-ray vision to know the Cabby was visibly shaken by her.  She should come with warning lights and a siren.  Grabbing her purse off his ass, he pushed it in her general direction and sat up.  He took a moment to fix his hair in the rear view mirror since the Cabby wasn't using it.  As the cab jerked in to traffic, he made the obligatory swerving gestures with Lois to keep up appearances.

Lois slapped Clark on the arm when he rolled in to her lap during another jerk.  "Can't you stay in your own seat, Smallville?"  Pushing him off her, she ignored the hurt look on his face.  The heat and traffic were too much for her to deal with without adding his hurt little feelings to it.  When he continued to watch her, she reached in to her purse and handed him a conciliatory offering.

Taking the candy bar, Clark sighed.  That was about as close as he was going to get to an apology from Lois, her stress chocolate.  The fact that it was melted made all the difference, Lois loved warmed up chocolate bars.  Pulling the warm chocolate in half, he handed part to Lois and a small piece to the Cabby.  He could still hear his mother telling him to share.

Lois saw his actions and snorted.  Leave it to Kent to do something so mundane.  He probably had 'plays well with others' stamped in his file some where, she thought.  Some day she really needed to get around to reading it.  After all, she had gone to the trouble of breaking in to Perry's office and photo copying it.  That memory perked her up, a successful B&E always made her feel warm and tingly inside.

By the time the cab had pulled over to let them out, Clark was thoroughly disgusted with himself.  He was actually happy again, despite the fact that Lois was still.... well, Lois.  Smiling as he was forced to pay the Cabby because Lois was already on the move, he shook his head.  He really was a whipping boy for her.

Coming up behind his partner, he frowned at her actions.  She was glancing around slowly and it unnerved him.  "What are you doing?"

"Casing the place."  Reaching in to her hand bag, she pulled out a small camera and began taking pictures.  Letting it hang from a wrist, she pulled out a pencil and paper, thus exhausting the contents aside from a small caliber handgun.  Taking a few notes on dimensions and possible locations, she moved on away from the depot through the crowds.

"I thought we were going to interview some people, Lois."  There had been that hope, but judging from what she said and the way she was acting, they weren't going to be doing any thing.  He had begun to wonder just why she had brought him along.  Rebounding off a couple of teenagers coming in to the train station, Clark adjusting his glasses to get a better look at them.  "Why did you bring me?"

Smiling brightly, Lois grabbed Clark by the arm.  "Relax, Kent, we are just two ordinary tourists just off the train, here to see the sights."  Giving him her camera, she pushed him away.  "Take my picture in front of this building and make it believable, I want the alley in the shot."

He had to force a tight smile on his face as he complied with her orders.  So, she was using him as a beard, again.  It wasn't the first time Lois had taken advantage of him, definitely wouldn't be the last.  He just wished she would tell him these things before hand so he could be prepared.  They were partners after all.

"Say cheese, honey."  Heavy with sarcasm, he was surprised the words didn't leave grease trails.  He was definitely glad that he was the one with heat vision from the look she was giving him with her eyes over the fake smile.  "That's right, Lois, scare away the crowd."

"Quit being an idiot, Clark, we are here to have a good time."  Speaking through gritted teeth, she chuckled as an elderly couple watched them.  "Have you got the shot yet?"

Clark readjusted the linse to make a point.  "Almost."

"Then hurry up!"  When he fiddled with the linse again, she snapped.  Face contorted in rage, she started towards him but the flash blinded her.  Clutching at the spots in her vision, Lois growled.  "You did that on purpose!  When I can see again, Kent, you had better be long gone or so help me, I will..."  She ran in to something solid that silenced her tirade.  "Excuse me."  Backing up blinking, she saw that it was in fact the object of her ire.

Faster than even he thought his alter ego could move, Clark was captured in her grip.  Giving her what he hoped was a disarming grin, he handed her the camera back.  "Hi, Lois."

~~~~~<hr>~~~~~~~

Putting her purse down on the desk, Lois glared at the still wincing Clark.  "Oh come off it, Kent, you weren't hurt.  My camera, now that's a lost cause!"  Who knew the boy from Kansas had such a hard gut?  "Just to show you how generous I am, I won't charge you for the camera this time."

"You are so magnanimous, Lois, however shall I thank you?"  What she had done could be construed as assault, but without any physical damage, it was his word against hers.  Then again, he had known what he was doing by provoking the wild Lois and had brought her wrath upon him.  In fact, it took a super effort to keep his face from cracking in a grin.  Teasing her was one of the perks of being her partner.

Setting down the stack of files and photos down on Clark's desk in alarm, Jimmy shot Lois a glare.  "You hit him with your camera, Lois?"  When she nodded, he turned back to Clark with a sigh of disgust.  "Have you gotten that looked at, CK?"

Taking his hand off his stomach, Clark waved if off.  "Nah, I'm fine, Jimmy.  She didn't hit me that hard."

"The hell she didn't, pardon my French."  Taking charge of the situation since it looked like Clark wasn't going to be responsible, Jimmy pulled up his chair.  Grabbing the older man by the shoulder, he pushed him down in to it.  "Open your shirt so I can take a look.  I've had some experience with Lois induced bruising."

Crossing her arms, Lois looked away with a scoff.  "You're exaggerating, I have not once hit you."

"That's right, not once, but five times."  Jimmy ignored the look he knew she was giving him.  Working around Lois for any amount of time was like radiation exposure, you didn't have to see it to feel the effects.  Instead, he knelt down in front of Clark.  "Come on, Clark, open up."

"You don't have to, really.  I am telling you, I'm fine."  He tried to sit back and turn his chair to face his desk, but Jimmy spread his legs and moved between them.  Eyes wide at the gesture, he didn't put up any resistance when Jimmy's nimble hands went for his buttons.

Throwing Clark's tie over his shoulder, Jimmy quickly set about undoing the button's on the reporter's shirt.  When he had them open, he jerked up the tank top underneath to examine the skin.  Jimmy frowned.  There wasn't any discoloration what-so-ever.  He became aware that other people were moving in to get a better look as well.  Reaching out, he slid his fingers up Clark's abdomen to rest on his chest.  "Flawless."

Hands tugging at the collar of her blouse, Cat groaned.  "No arguments here."  Seeing that Jimmy's hand wasn't moving, she felt a little let down.  "May be you should check a little further over.  She might have hit him in the side.  Rub him good, deep tissue damage is hard to detect."

Both Clark and Jimmy looked at her.

"What the Sam Hell is going on here?"  Coming out of his office to find his entire news room focused on something that wasn't their work, Perry started to get a head full of steam.  The shit really hit the fan when he glanced over to the source of their interest.  It took him three looks before it registered.  "Great shades of Elvis!  Jimmy!"

Jerking his hand back as if burned, Jimmy quickly stood and moved away from Clark.  His cheeks brilliant red, he realized how it must have looked to everyone.  Picking up his folders, he started for the stairs, but was caught by Perry.  "Chief?"

"My office, now."  The words were barely a whisper, but Perry got his feelings across.  Looking away as Clark fixed up his clothes, he glared at the gathered staff.  "Get your butts in gear, this is a newspaper, not a smut rag!"

Everyone, including Lois, suddenly found other things to do between casting guilty looks Clark's way.

Stalking back to his office, Perry slammed the door shut behind him.  He ignored the jump of the younger man and took a seat behind his desk.  Rubbing at the lower half of his face, he contemplated the picture of Alice on his desk for a while.  After he had calmed a bit, he looked up at Jimmy.

Taking his life in his own hands, Jimmy gathered up the courage to speak.  "Chief, I can..."

"Son, I think you need to take some time off."  He held up a hand to forestall any more words from Jimmy.  He wiped his face again before continuing.  "I know you peeked at them photos I gave Lois and Clark.  You're too close to this one, I want you to get some time away from here."

Swallowing, Jimmy looked away.  The memory of the image caused him to pale.  "I knew him."

"I know you did, that's why I kept you off it."  Perry expected the sudden anger from the young man, that's why he didn't say anything when Jimmy slammed the folders on his desk.

"You can't do that, I won't let you do that.  You let Lois investigate her past!"  Leaning over the desk, he tried to express his anger without doing any real damage.

"She had Clark with her."  Rising from his chair, Perry glared the younger man down.  There was a difference between letting him express his anger and backing down.  "Besides, she is a veteran news reporter, she knows how to handle herself and keep her head in dangerous situations."

"She learned that from experience!  How am I supposed to become a reporter if you keep me locked up?"  Jimmy knew he had gotten to the older man when he cast a quick glanced away.  "I know these people, chief, I can empathize with them and get them to open up to me.  That's what a really good reporter does."

"There's a difference between developing a report and losing yourself in a story!  You are too close to this situation, so you're off this story, and that's final!"  Sitting back down, Perry grabbed the cigar off his desk.  When getting ready to light up, he looked back up at Jimmy.  "In case I didn't make myself clear, you're now officially on vacation.  Now, get out!"

"Yes, sir!"  Giving a mocking salute, Jimmy marched from the editor's office.  He slammed the door behind him, causing the blind to swing until it flew off the door.  Jogging over to the steps, Jimmy went up them and to the elevators.

Adjusting his glasses, Clark went back to the files he had been previously pretending to read.

~~~~~<hr>~~~~~

An old Cyndi Lauper tape in the player blaring across his speakers, Jimmy dried the last of the warm water from his leg before examining it in the bathroom light.  Flawless.  The word brought back mental images of running his hands up Clark's stomach.  Closing his eyes, he put it from his mind and let his leg fall from the bathroom sink.  Turning around, he grabbed the stocking from the back of the toilet and raised the other foot to the seat.

Putting on the nylon toe first, he unrolled it slowly.  He had bought a new pair for that night after trying on two pair.  Six years had seen a lot of changes in his size.  When it had been pulled up over his thigh, he snapped the elastic collar on it.  They were good stockings, not silk, but functional for his mission.  Pulling on the other one was less of a chore as he knew how it would fit now.  When he was through, he tugged down the skirt.

Tamping off the cigarette in the sink, he exhaled the last of his smoke.  Waving it off, he was glad for the fan in the window sucking it out.  He hadn't smoked in half a decade, but since he was getting back in to character, he might as well go the whole way.

Looking at his face in the mirror, he was happy to see the redness had dissipated.  He had forgotten how much he hated using wax.  There wasn't much in the way of stubble anyways, but any would detract from the illusion.  After he ran a hand over the scull cap to make sure it was stuck tight, he picked up the black wig and tugged it on over his ears.  After pulling out the bangs, he checked his appearance in multiple angles.

A quick body check forced the pushup bra in place under his white shirt.  Reaching out, he took the tan jacket that matched his thigh length skirt off the hangar next to the shower and slipped it on.  One button, the second from the bottom was done up.  Jimmy slipped in to his heels, using the sink for balance.  To finish off, he pulled on a pair of white silk gloves.

"Hello, Jacqueline, long time no see."

~~~~~~<hr>~~~~~~

Tugging on the back hem of her miniskirt, Lois tumbled a little in her stilettos.  Growling, she jerked the skirt down until it finally covered her ass again.  Every time she walked, thanks to the heels, caused the skirt to ride up and show her ass.  She was going to kill whoever designed the outfit whenever she got through with the story.

The snickering beside her made her cast a glare at Clark.  He was walking her to the spot under the tracks from where the cab had let them out a few blocks back.  At her look, he shut up.  This was painful enough without him acting all sorts of pain in her ass.  She didn't say anything, though, because Jimmy had been right and she shouldn't have hit Clark with her camera.  Lois wouldn't call it guilt, but the feeling abated a little when his smile returned.

Under the Metrorail tracks was the location she had decided upon given her surveillance earlier.  Without her camera, she had had to rely upon memory, but she was certain there had been ladies of the evening there.  They were still a block away from the corner she needed to reach in order to see down the street to the streets under the rails when she saw the traffic.  Apparently business was good in the redlight district of Suicide Slums.

"All right, Clark, this is where we part ways.  You've done your service and I don't need your help any longer."  Putting up an overly done hand, she took a second to study her inch long fake nails with disgust before continuing on.  "If you must watch, I suggest you stay out of sight."

Watching her sashay down the street with difficulty on her new heels, Clark felt his face split in a wide grin.  "Oh, don't worry, you won't see me at all."

Upon reaching the street corner, Lois stuck a piece of gum in her mouth and began to chew it with her mouth open.  Tugging her skirt up a little higher, she pushed up her breasts, and grinned.  "Show time."  Stepping out on to the street corner, she walked towards the gathering of cars and women.  She wouldn't do anything, but it would be great for the article if she tried it out.

At first, she noticed several people watching her.  It was to be expected.  Whenever you introduced a new animal in to an environment, the others were bound to take notice.  They would sniff her out, try and get a feel for her, but in the end she would be accepted.  She always was.

It was after that things started going off course.  It wasn't the men in the cars who were watching her close.  In fact, more than a few of the 'working girls' whistled at her.  She smiled politely, but turned her interest towards the cars.  The men should be stopping and looking at her any second.

Any second.

After a few minutes, she had reached the end of the street where it terminated under the tracks.  Disappointed, she started back up the street and stopped near a group of reasonable looking women.  Leaning back against the wall, she frowned.  "Why aren't they looking at me?"  She had meant it as a rhetorical question.

"You a reporter?"  Sizing Lois up with her eyes, a short black woman in a long lime green pleather jacket grinned.

Lois started to shake her head, but the knowing gazes of the women around her made her nod.  "How'd you know?  Usually it takes people a couple days to figure it out."

In answer, the woman pointed across the street.  At first, she thought she was seeing a double.  It took her several blinks to realize it wasn't her standing there.  "Who is that?"

"That's Lois Lani, with an I."  Coming to stand on Lois' other side, a short blonde woman with a pink skirt and yellow top grinned.  "You're real popular with the queens.  Last week we had seven different versions of you on this street alone."

"If you want to go undercover, sugar, you gotta pick a profession that don't pay attention to the pictures in the newspapers."  The black woman flicked at Lois' hair.  With a sound of approval, she twisted her head a little.  "Mmm mmm, mmmmm.  Lovely, absolutely beautiful.  Another thing, you're too pretty to be down here.  If you wanted people to believe you're really a gal with prospects, you gotta go where the others of your caliber go.  Chez Almassy Du Rique."

Huffing, Lois let her shoulders slump.  "Damn.  Well, you ladies mind if I hang out here for a while, it's kind of important."

"This about them fundamentalists nuts?  Go right ahead."  The blonde woman gestured to the wall beside Lois.  "If you can get the police to do something about this aside from cleaning up the mess, we'll save you a spot right here along the wall of fame."

A few chuckles spread out among the ladies.

The black woman was about to say something, but a passing car caught her attention.  "Okay, Ladies, look sharp.  Code blue, I repeat, code blue."  At her words, most of the women started to walk off in pairs of two or three.

Lois watched them go in surprise.  She was about to ask what was going on until several cars with flashing lights came rushing around the corner she had first entered the street on.  Eyes wide, she looked around for any place to hide.  To her shock, most of the street was empty, only a few women remained on her side and an equal amount remained on the men's side.

She started to make a run for it, but the heel on her left stiletto went through the grate under her and she fell on her ass.  Twisting the shoe, she tried to get it unstuck, but a car pulled up in front of her.  As the driver got out, Lois glanced up and frowned.  "Hi.  Would you believe I was working on an assignment?"

The police officer drew a baton.

On top of a building across the street, Superman watched with undisguised glee as Lois had her hands forced behind her and shackled together in handcuffs.

~~~~~~~<hr>~~~~~~

Unlit cigarette in hand, Jimmy came around the final corner, the familiarity of the place coming back to him.  In the six years since he had left, it hadn't changed a bit.  That was the surprising part, considering how often Metropolis adapted to a new style.  Sticking out his long legs until he was certain his ass was moving with each step, he continued on.  More than a few people watched him pass with open mouths.

It was still light out enough that he wore the big, black circle sunglasses.  The white hat with black strap matched his bag, heels, and gloves.  Four years on the streets had taught a girl how to dress.  He counted the alleys until he reached the seventh, the heart of the street.  Turning to the four men in various dresses standing there smoking, he cleared his throat.  "Any of you girls have a light?"  He held up the cigarette.

The tallest of them all, a black man in a backless red dress and platinum curls looked at Jimmy with disdain for a moment.  Upon taking in the complete ensemble, he snorted.  "If it ain't Ms. Onassis, former first lady of the board walk.  Honey, I think you made a wrong turn some where, old white bitches go down the street, not up it."

"I realize you have a short memory, Ms. Manners, but surely six years isn't that long."  Taking off his glasses, Jimmy folded them promptly and placed them in the leather bag.  Blinking the hair out of his eyes, he straightened the wig.  "Hello, Momma Bedeaux."

Curling up his fan, Ms. Manners stalked over to Jimmy.  Grabbing him by the chin, he forced the young man's jaw up then side to side.  "You've grown, little girl."

"It happened to people my age."  He bared the scrutiny with unflinching airs.  This had been expected and he wanted it to go off without a hitch.  When his face was released, he rubbed at the slightly sore flesh.  Ms. Manners still had a hell of a grip.

Snorting, Ms. Manners walked back over to her corner of the building.  Snapping open the fan, she began to sweep it over her face and chest.  "What brings you back here, Jacqueline?"

"Marie Anne."  Lighting up his own cigarette, Jimmy frowned at the flavor.  He would let it burn itself out, after six years, it still tasted like dog shit.  "I saw the pictures.  What happened, Momma?"

"I don't know what you're talking about.  Marie Anne doesn't exist to me any more."  Dropping his own cigarette, Ms. Manners stomped it flat.  "Stupid little bitch broke my one rule, my one!  As far as I'm concerned, Marie Anne died that night of an over dose!"  

Looking down, Jimmy closed his eyes.  He and Marie hadn't been close, but they had grown up together.  Ms. Manners had only one rule, no drugs.  If he caught you with them, you were out on the streets permanently.  "What about Mario Lezano?"

Ms. Manners waited until after he had lit up another cigarette before looking to Jimmy.  Huffing out the cloves and herb smoke towards Jimmy, his face contorted in a faux humor.  "If you want to find out what happened to Mario, you can go visit his pimp down on Shadeland.  But I suggest you wait a few days, police picked him up in a raid this afternoon."

Nodding, Jimmy put back on his sunglasses.  He was about to go, but stopped.  "Thank you, Momma Bedeaux."

"For what, any rag on the street coulda told you where to find that trash.  As far as I'm concerned, those fundies did me a favor."  Stomping her second cigarette, Ms. Manners led the group of four up the steps beside them and back inside the club.

Jimmy longed to go up there with them.  He could recall the exhilaration of the act, the smell of the perfume and outfits.  Tugging his jacket collar closer, he headed for Shadeland Avenue.

~~~~~<hr>~~~~~~

There was less traffic on the street ahead than he could remember.  Using the cigarette smoke to detract from the smell, he blew out through his nostrils.  It worked to sufficiently deaden the stench for a few breaths.  He knew from experience that the air would clear once he actually got out on the strip, but the alleys leading to it were filled with refuse from the workers.  Speaking of which, he had to make use of his long legs to step over a rather pungent pile of rags and used condoms.  Obviously someone's work space.

Coming out on to the street, he drew a few heads, but most had seen his type before.  At five ten barefooted, six in heels, he was by no means a giant among the south side of the street's inhabitants, but the north side would be hard pressed to match him.  It was the one thing he missed about the heels, they gave him an extra inch or in this case, two.  Scanning over the edge of his sunglasses, he checked out the competition for that night.

There were fewer than expected.  It explained the lack of clients.  Walking towards what appeared to be a clean stoop, he reached in to his bag and pulled out a cloth and wiped away the steps.  Before he could sit down, though, a red pump was placed in his way.  Jimmy glanced over the top of his sunglasses at the man in front of him.

Standing a half a foot shorter in a red dress, the man's only claim to drag was his dress and shoes.  His hair was scraggly and the day old growth of facial hair gave him a haggard look.  "This spot ain't free, miss!"

Jimmy cast a look between the man and his shoe twice before pushing his sunglasses back up his nose.  Reaching a white gloved hand out, he quickly grabbed the man's ankle and twisted it until he felt something give.  As the man gave a high pitched shriek, he used the man's leg to shove him away.  Taking out his cloth again, he wiped the steps a second time.  When he had spread it over the steps, Jimmy flattened his dress to his thighs and sat back with his knees closed.

He wasn't surprised no one had moved to help the downed man.  Few helped those who were outside their click here.  On the upside, he drew a few more heads now.  If he could gain a few contacts, it would move him that much closer to the story.  When that happened, he might get some evidence that might actually help the police.  The Chief was known for it, Lois had done it in the past, CK had done it recently, it was his turn.

Speaking of his turn.

For a moment, Jimmy pretended he didn't notice the black four door sedan that had pulled up in front of him.  It was large, definitely a late model, but the body was well preserved and the engine purred quietly as it idled.  This was someone who really liked his car, that meant he knew what he liked and was willing to pay to get it.  Several of the others were already starting to move in.

He had several options open to him.  He could continue pretending he didn't notice the car had stopped directly in front of him. That would make him look suspicious, but it also might gain him some friends from the more competitive men.  That option wasn't his favorite because those who were more competitive didn't reveal secrets unless they got something substantial.  His other options involved actually going up to the car and what he did after.

Rising from the steps, he strolled passed a slower hustler, but didn't take his eye off him.  They liked to trip the competition and pretend it was an accident.  Before he reached the car, another man in a short skirt and blonde wig had beat him to it.  Jimmy knew the man on the other side of the glass wouldn't open the window for him, no matter what he tried.  When he was close enough, Jimmy grabbed the blonde wig and tossed it in down the side walk.  He wasn't above being a bitch if it suited him.

His kind of dress invited only a certain type of clientele, men who liked sophisticated looking partners.  That severely limited his client base, but if he was good at his act and did what they said, he was guaranteed a handsome pay and steady work.  If he could find a john worth the risk.  Usually, men who had the kind of money needed for him dealt exclusively with handlers.  The type that frequented Shadeland were usually black balled from the handlers' lists because they had damaged the merchandise, thus the risk.

He smiled.  Handlers were just high classed pimps, which meant they took a larger percent of the cut.  He knew the business before he even set foot out on the street.  Mother Olsen didn't raise a fool.

Looking down in to the car as the window lowered, Jimmy schooled his voice to a rougher version.  The cigarettes he had been smoking in preparation for this helped a great deal.  "Are you lost?"

"Actually, I'm looking for someone."  Taking in Jimmy's appearance, the man behind the wheel gave him a sly smile.  "You wouldn't happen to know where I can find this someone, would you?"

"That depends, but it will cost you."  And there it was, his offer was on the table.

"I got plenty of cash, that's not a problem."  Patting his hip for emphasis, the man licked his lips in anticipation.  "How about you get in and show me around?"

"That would be acceptable."  Opening the door when the man had unlocked it, Jimmy scanned it to make sure he could pull open the lock if necessary before getting in.  Couldn't be too careful.  He cast a quick look in to the interior before he sat in the leather seat.  "Beautiful car, it must have cost you a small fortune."  Rule three of being picked up by a car enthusiast, compliment the automobile.

After he had rolled up the window, the man lovingly stroked the gear shift.  "You have no idea."  He threw it in to first and flew down the street.

~~~~~~~<hr>~~~~~~

Half an hour later, they were pulling up to the curb again, the man with a dazed, but happy look on his face.  Finishing his lipstick, Jimmy put the cap on.  He stuck it and the compact back in his bag before leaning over to press  a quick kiss to the man's cheek.  The man had said no visible reminders so he wet his glove with his tongue and wiped away the lipstick his kiss had left.  

"Thank you for a wonderful time.  If you feel like doing it again sometime, I'll be around for a few days.  Ciao."  Climbing out of the car, the wad of fives rolled up in the left cup of his bra made up for the ache between his legs.

He closed the door gentle enough not to cause any damage.  Rule number six of being picked up by a car enthusiast, treat the car like precious china.  The man had been exactly as his car, wild and spitfire under a sleek older model exterior.  That was one back seat that his ass would have an impression of for a while.  Jimmy snorted, middle aged men and their fantasies.

Wiping at the corners of his mouth as the man left, he waved to him.  He was happy to see the man return his wave in the rear view mirror.  Always good to have a job well done.  That just proved he still had it, even after eight years of being off the market.

The street held more people than when he had left.  The sun had gone down over the tracks, but there was still enough daylight to qualify as evening.  A quick look about him told him that he had earned a few enemies with his stunt.  No skin off his back.

Walking back to his post, Jimmy felt for the first time a niggling of doubt.  For starters, it had been too easy to slip back in to this life.  Everything about it spoke of long years of practice.  Spinning, he sat down on the steps and let the cement beneath him take away his fears.  He was alone in this, that was okay, he could deal.  It wasn't exactly the first time.

According to the Chief, he was off for the next two weeks, at least that gave him plenty of time to develop a report with his subjects.  Realistically, Jimmy knew he probably wouldn't get anything from the whores and hustlers, but he had to try.  If nothing else, he could come away from this with some experience, and may be, a story.

Any plans he might have had for a story evaporated when he caught sight of a familiar figure walking the street examining the men.  Slowly, he reached in to his bag and pulled out a book.  In this profession, there was a lot of time to kill, romance novels were a welcome distraction.  There was a slim chance he would be recognized in his disguise, but it always helped to have a little smoke screen.  Holding up the book to cover his face, he stuck the book mark between his teeth to hold it.

A throat cleared in front of him.

Slowly, Jimmy lowered the book.  The familiar face of Clark Kent met his gaze.  He raised an eyebrow in question, not daring to use his own voice.  With the sunglasses, he could hide pretty well.  The hat and wig also hid any chance of discovery, or so he hoped.

"I know it's you, so you can cut the act."  Clark leaned over the arm rail on the steps next to Jimmy.  His own glasses slid a little and he used the extra space to examine the younger man closely.  "Really, I never would have suspected this of you.  Considering your past, I'm not surprised you did it this way, but it's a little much.  Though, I have to admit, it's an attractive look for you."

Sighing, Jimmy pulled off his sunglasses and spit out the book mark.  "How did you know where to find me, CK?  Please, tell me Perry isn't that angry with me."

Jaw hanging open, Clark nearly slipped off the rail.  Recovering, he cleared his throat a second time.  "Whoa, I mean, that's... Wow!  I thought you were Lois!"

Jimmy snorted.  "Don't let her hear you say that."  He cast about, looking for prying ears.  Seeing that they were at the center of attention due to a lull in the activity, he grabbed Clark by the tie and jerked him down on the steps.  When Clark started to shout his objection, Jimmy silenced him with a finger to his lips.  "Keep it down, I'm undercover."

Adjusting his clothes to put them back in order after his sudden change in position, Clark spun so he could sit on the steps next to Jimmy.  It wasn't a very comfortable position he had been in, but it would have looked suspicious if he hadn't allowed Jimmy to do it.  Some times he hated having to hide his secret identity more than ever.  When he felt settled enough to start the interrogation, he leaned in to whisper in Jimmy's ear.  "What do you think you are doing here?  Perry will kill you, hell, Lois will kill you when she finds out."

"They're are not going to find out because we aren't going to tell them."  He tried to sound confident, but the look Clark gave him said he clearly wasn't buying it.  Nervously, Jimmy reached out a hand to trail along Clark's collar.  When he reached the older man's tie, he jerked it tight.  "Listen up, Kent, I'm only going to say this once, butt out!"

Taking his tie back from Jimmy, he smiled.  "Nice impression, Jimmy, but you're no Lois."  Really, it had been first class, but it just lacked the same authority when there wasn't any real threat behind it.

Knowing his chance was busted, Jimmy sulked down on the steps.  There had to be a way to convince Clark to keep his mouth shut.  "If you try to take me out of here, I will scream rape."

"No, you won't."  By now, Clark had begun to notice all the attention they were causing.  He wasn't quite sure why, but he slung his arm over Jimmy's shoulders to keep up the illusion.  "Since we both know what is going to happen now, help me find Lois.  She was on the other side of the street when I left her earlier, now she isn't there any more."

Slumped down, Jimmy put back on his sunglasses.  Thinking over Clark's words as he scanned the street for her, something occurred to him.  "Wait a minute, CK, what time did Lois come down here?"

"About two hours ago, why?"  He already knew the answer, the very thought of it made his insides turn to jelly and he want to squeal like a little girl in delight.  Lois thrown in jail for being a prostitute, oh the irony of that situation.  She always said she was willing to do anything to get a good story, but that was taking the cake.

"They arrested a bunch of hustlers, pimps, and hookers earlier in a sting.  Most got away, but a few stayed behind to keep up the appearance that they hadn't been tipped off.  May be she got picked up.  As a newby, they wouldn't have trusted her enough to warn her."  Jimmy gestured at the people milling about waiting for their next tricks.  "That's why there aren't many people out tonight.  Some times the pigs... I mean police, come back."

"You sound like you speak from experience."  The words were out of Clark's mouth before he had time to think about it.  Considering his track record, he was doing a lot of that lately around his colleagues and it was becoming a bad habit.  He decided to do a little damage control before it was too late.  Tightening his arm around Jimmy's shoulders, he leaned in closer.  "Sorry, I didn't mean that as I said it.  I, just, you are a very knowledgeful young man."

"I'm twenty-one, CK, not fifteen."  Looking out over the filthy street, Jimmy shuddered.  "At least not any more."  Leaning his head on to Clark's shoulder, Jimmy slid his own arm around the older man's chest.  It wasn't fair, no one deserved to have to live like this.  "But there's a difference between knowing this and having to live it.  I got out before it was too late, Perry helped with that a lot.  That's why you can't tell him, I don't want to hurt him."

"Jimmy."  He wanted to say something, but Clark couldn't really come up with anything appropriate.  The younger man knew what he was doing was wrong, but it was his life.  Closing his eyes, Clark laid his head on top of Jimmy's, or attempted to.  The hat got in the way so he slipped it off.  "I want you to be safe, and being out here isn't, far from it, in fact."

"Then you will just have to keep a close eye on me, won't you."  Slipping his free hand in to his blouse, Jimmy pulled out the roll of fives.  He put them in Clark's hand.  "Here, take this and head off.  Make sure you let the others see it before you put it out of sight, it will give me street cred."

"What?"  Clark stared at the money in his hand in confusion.  It took him a moment to realize what it meant.  "Tell me you didn't earn this money out here."

"Anything for a story, Clark."  He gasped as Clark's arm tightened hard enough to make it impossible to breath.  In response, he slapped at Clark's back until the other man let go.  "Jeeze, give a guy some room to breathe, CK."

"You prostituted yourself out, Jimmy!  What the hell were you thinking?"  Instead of waiting for a response, he stood up, yanking Jimmy along with him.  "I'm not letting you do this, it's too dangerous!"

"I know what I'm doing!"  Jimmy tried to twist his way free of the older man, but his grip was like steel.  He tried to bring his knee up to put it between them, but Clark's hand was suddenly there.  The hold on his leg had him falling in to Clark until he was straddling the older man's thigh.  Thinking quickly, he wrapped his free arm around Clark's neck and leaned in until they were almost touching.  

Their sudden proximity caused the older man to frown.  He didn't care for Jimmy's excuses and nothing was going to stop him from taking Jimmy out of there.  Except what Jimmy did next.

Crushing his lips to Clark's, Jimmy took advantage of the other man's paralysis to wrap his entire body around the older man.  Clark had to let his arm go in order to maintain a balance and Jimmy used it to pull himself up so that his legs could completely straddle his waist.  Now that his face was actually above Clark's, Jimmy smiled down against his lips.  "Want to do it here on the steps where they can watch?  I'm wearing a jock, so you can have easy access."  In the next heart beat, Jimmy found himself on the ground.

Clark stood there speechless.  Never in all his life had anyone treated him in such a way.  Part of his upbringing knew just what to call Jimmy to make him hurt in retaliation for what he had done.  There were several words for it, but they all meant the same thing.  Part of him wanted to yell at Jimmy and rage at him for his actions.

Kneeling down, Clark stuck out his hand to other man.  Taking Jimmy's hand in his own without asking, he pulled him to his feet.  He stuck around long enough to dust the younger man off, before stalking off.

Red faced, Jimmy took the time to fix his hair and pull back on his hat before reaching in to the purse to get his compact.  He had to reapply his lipstick and remove a couple smudges from his cheek before his look was back in place.  It was a mask, flawless in appearance.  He was Jacqueline, First Lady of Boardwalk.

Limping back to his steps, he hadn't realize any damage had been done until he started to walk.  Clark sure was strong.  He had hurt him physically, but that was okay, he got what he wanted.  More than a few of the heads he had turned earlier were now ignoring him.  He was one of them now.