Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 33 of The Switch
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,504
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,425

The Switch 33: Tokens Of War

Summary:

FANDOM: "Farscape"
PAIRING: JOHN/D'ARGO
RATING: PG-13.
STATUS: New.
ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.
FEEDBACK: Welcomed
SERIES/SEQUEL: SEQUEL to "BEYOND ILLUSION".
SUMMARY: "Rion convinces the others that he can lead them to Crichton."
The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.
Submitted through the AdultFarscape and Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Work Text:

The Switch 33: Tokens Of War
A "Farscape" slash story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
* * * * *

Bialar Crais was not sure what to think. He tilted his head at Zhaan, watching Aeryn out of the corner of his eye to see her reaction. "You say we can follow this link?"

Zhaan smiled and inclined her head slowly. "Yes."

"How?"

"Through the baby."

D'Argo came to command in time to hear the last comment. "It is as Zhaan says, Rion can reach out and touch John with his mind. The human DNA must be like scent is to a Luxan."

Rygel made a face as if tasting something sour. "That is a image I do not wish to share." He murmured with distaste.

Zhaan smiled gently. Crais was frowning. "What do I tell Talyn? He is getting restless and soon I must return to him."

"Tell him the truth," Said Chiana. "He knows what it is to be alone, how frightened it makes him."

"It might work." He agreed slowly.

Aeryn was frowning at him. "What do you mean it might work? Why wouldn't it work?"

He looked uncomfortable, trying to avoid Aeryn's searching look. "Talyn is not very fond of John. He sees him as a....rival."

Everybody looked at Crais in varying degrees of surprise. Aeryn's frown deepened. "A rival?"

If she did not know better she would have said that Crais was embarrassed. "Yes. Talyn feels... proprietorial about you, Aeryn Sun. Given how you and John feel about each other, he is not best pleased when the two of you are.....in proximity to each other."

Her eyebrows shot up. Not sure whether to be amused or shoot him. "That is a load of dren, Crais."

"No," He responded evenly. "It is not."

For a moment no one spoke then Chiana piped up. "Talyn will still come with us though, right? I mean, if we go to rescue John he comes too?

"Yes, Chiana, Talyn will come if only because I ask him to but it is not the same as wanting to."

Aeryn was giving Crais a steady look realising that he was absolutely serious. "Why didn't you mention this before?"

He shrugged. "It did not seem important before."

She thought about that in silence. Not sure how she felt about stepping aboard a jealous leviathan.

* * * * *

Renik unlocked the cell and looked at the human huddled in the far corner. For a moment he observed how he sat hunched over, eyes closed, looking for all the world as if he had fallen into a deep sleep. He was not asleep but he was not awake either. He was in a deep trance but the Scarran did not know that.

He was so content, bathed in the warmth of Stark and Bork's love. They made him feel invincible. Then something stirred in him and he felt matter slowly coalesce around him and the burden of physical flesh made every movement heavy, every thought an effort as if operating machinery that had gone rusty. He felt Stark's thoughts as clearly as if they were his own. You must return to consciousness now

I don't want to

The Scarran has returned

A pause before responding. Will you stay with me? The words were quiet, hushed, as if he were afraid Stark would say no.

Yes, John

And Bork?

He felt Stark smile. Where I go so does Bork

Crichton had not time to feel relief. There came a rushing in his ears and he knew he was on the verge of waking. With a start his eyes jolted open, the Scarran holding him off the ground, feet dangling while he shook him. Cold shivered through his veins at the rude disconnection from Stark and Bork. He was dazed or he would have been angry. For now, dazed was better. To show anger to a Scarran when you were not in a strong position was not wise. He could no longer feel the presence of the baby but within microts Stark had re-established their connection and reassured him that he was still there.

Hang on John, we are coming

If he was not so scared he would have thought Stark's comment was funny. As it was he now had to deal with an enraged Scarran.

"Hey, be careful."

"You do not *speak* to me!" Snarled the Scarran shaking him with anger.

He felt sick and on the verge of passing out. Stark was urging him to stay awake. Crichton spluttered, spittle running down the side of his mouth as the Scarran shook him again. You think I have a choice, Stark?

Do your best, John. Buy us some time

*Oh yeah, and who's gonna buy me some time?* He thought. He tried to focus on the Scarran but his vision was becoming blurred and he just knew he was going to throw up any microt. Then suddenly the shaking stopped. He hung like a limp rag in the Scarran's clawed hands. The Scarran lifted him close to his face, his dark venemous eyes looking closely at the human. Hatred and malice vying for ascendancy. "You will die, human."

"Yeah, I kinda figured I wasn't on your Christmas card list."

Renik shook him again. Hard. Crichton threw up, disgusting the Scarran who threw him bodily against the wall of the cell. He hit the wall with a resounding crack and promptly passed out. The Scarran was furious. He picked the unconscious human up but could get no reaction from him. Hissing with annoyance he dropped him back on the floor and left. Like a piqued child who had broken one of his toys. He would have to begin the interrogation later. These humans were far too fragile for his liking. His problem would be keeping him alive long enough to extract the information.

* * * * *

Zhaan watched Stark closely. The baby telling her what was going on in Crichton's cell. Describing the treatment meted out to him by the Scarran. Aeryn was pacing angrily, Crais impatient to be off but waiting for Stark to give him the co-ordinates. Aeryn looked at Zhaan, her face pinched and anxious. "What's taking so long?"

The Delvian gave her a look urging patience and placed her hand against Stark's cheek, the other hand touching the baby's head. D'Argo and Chiana hardly dared to breathe. Rygel felt his stomachs craving food, a sure sign of distress. Zhaan closed her eyes and everyone watched with baited breath. After a few microts she started to speak, giving them the direction and telling them to hurry. "I will stay in contact so I may guide you in pursuit of the Scarran Dreadnought."

It was good enough for Aeryn. She raced out to join Crais on Talyn. As soon as she was aboard Crais shot off, Moya matching Talyn as they went to immediate starburst. Aeryn had the feeling that time was critical. Crais knew she was worried, picked up her emotional state through Talyn. The leviathan was torn. He wanted to help Aeryn and obey Crais but he did not want to rescue Crichton. Crais explained to the leviathan how important the human was and how upset both Aeryn and he would be if he did not help them. Talyn agreed to help but Crais did not relax. He did not dare. He knew how the leviathan thought and if Talyn changed his ind it could plunge all of them into danger. He had to continue to keep the leviathan convinced that he was doing the right thing.

* * * * *

They carried her off on a special stretcher, her neck in an inflatable brace that prevented her moving her head. Her head of section gave her a keen look, ignoring her injury and just concentrating on her information. "Where are they taking him?"

Jena was not sure. "I don't know but Renik sounded impatient and anxious so I would guess they intend to meet up with the battle group."

He started to walk away but she called him back. "One of the microdroids is on the Scarran ship."

He frowned and walked back to her. "How?"

"I don't know, sir."

He looked unsettled. "You did not programme it?"

"No, sir."

"Then there is someone else."

"My thoughts exactly."

He looked at her for a moment in silence. Thoughts racing through his mind and joining up the dots. "Do you know who it is?"

"No sir, but I have my suspicions."

He raised his eyebrows and waited. She swallowed and prayed that Gavlec Wrekin was not in the employ of the Empress.

"The Empress Novia."

He hissed through his teeth. "Why would the head of the Royal Household risk so much?"

"Because she is in league with the Scarrans."

He eyed her seriously for a microt. "Dangerous accusation, Jena. Fatal if unfounded." He paused. "How certain are you?"

"As certain as I am that my neck is broken."

* * * * *

Zhaan gently merged with Stark while he was still linked to Rion. Bork widened his senses to embrace her also. She smiled at him and it seemed as if his light grew brighter. Stark was immediately aware of her and grateful. He was tiring. Without Bork to sustain him he would have not been able to keep the link open.

What is happening, Stark? I cannot feel John

Stark's love washed over her tinging her with his deep concern. He is unconscious, Zhaan. That bartantic Scarran has been tossing him about and he is still wounded from the pulse fire

We must help him

Bork has augmented his strength and I have done what I could

Her loving thoughts touched the Banik. You could do no more

It was not enough He thought sadly.

Zhaan touched him with her mind, showered him with such gentle love that he felt refreshed and his hope was renewed.

You need to rest, Stark. I will stay with Bork and the baby if you will permit him to do so

Stark let his own light bathe Zhaan and was pleased to see her respond with joy. Bork will stay with you Zhaan. I will return when I have rested

Stark?

Yes, Zhaan?

When you have rested contact Talyn and ask Aeryn if she would like to link with John

He hesitated, suddenly nervous. Is that wise?

They love each other Stark, and much as we love them their connection is stronger. Aeryn wants to help, be part of this and we should allow her to do that

You are right but she is very emotional

Zhaan knew he was worried that Aeryn's volatile nature would upset Crichton. She knew they had merged several times. Knew Stark had a special bond to the human which made him over protective at times. We are all emotional about those we love, dear Stark

He kissed her and for a moment they merged in Unity. Stark forced himself to surface and break the merging for any energy he took now from Zhaan she would not be able to give to Crichton. Understanding his sacrifice she smiled gently in her heart for him and it took his breath away. When he had gone she merged with Bork and then the baby. Rion was curious. You all love John?

His query amused Zhaan. Yes

Even though he is not of your race, P'au Zolton Zhaan?

Yes She paused. Why so formal Rion?

We are all different but all together in a single purpose

Yes

It was a moment before Rion continued his line of thought. I feel honoured to be part of it

He felt Zhaan's laughter touch his heart. We do not always agree, Rion. In fact we are usually arguing over something but on the important things we are in agreement. We would do whatever we could to protect any of Moya's crew from what is happening to John

Then everybody loves each other as they love him?

She paused a fraction. Some crew members are *easier* to get along with, Rion

The baby smiled realising she was being diplomatic. It amused him and pleased him. Gentle Zhaan, John was the first mind I ever touched

Her thoughts were very soft, gentle and loving. Remembering. I know, Rion

He carried me inside him

Zhaan fell silent and waited for the baby to sort his feelings and thoughts out.

I do not want him to be hurt any more, Zhaan. It causes me pain. Distress

She soothed him and felt Bork strengthen them with his love. Then Rion cast off his reflection. John is waking

Zhaan poured all her energy and love down the link. Rion gently brushed the human's mind as he woke, a warm halo of love softening the harsh pain of consciousness. He lay at an awkward angle, his injured shoulder sending spikes of pain radiating through him. He shifted carefully but it still hurt. Zhaan sent her soothing calm and Bork looked more closely at the wound. John Thought Zhaan. How do you feel?

Zhaan? Is that you?

She smiled and he felt the bow of light touch him with love. Yes, John

Where's Stark?

Resting

Good. I guess this is taking its' toll on everybody

We do this gladly. Rion is helping Moya and Talyn to track you

That surprised him. Delight rippled through his consciousness. Zhaan, that is so neat, you don't know how happy that makes me feel but I have to warn you. These guys are playing for keeps and they play rough

Zhaan's resolve hardened. So can we

I just don't want any of you to get hurt He thought gently.

The baby's thoughts brushed against Crichton's mind before Zhaan could answer him. If they hurt you they hurt us

Zhaan smiled. Rion speaks for us all, John

Crichton chuckled and eased himself into a sitting position. The nausea had passed but he wasn't intending to run any marathons just yet. How far away are you guys?

Zhaan waited for Rion to do the calculations. About half a solar day

So like, the cavalry could ride in before sunup?

I have no idea what that means, John

It means you could get here in what, twelve arns?

It was Rion who answered. Less than that. Seven or eight

He leaned his head back and thanked them. He thanked them all. But privately he was not sure he had seven or eight arns left.

END

Series this work belongs to: