Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,426
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
2,360

Memories 1: Forgetting Memories

Summary:

Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Rating: PG (This Part – Maybe R/NC-17 later)
Series: Memories
Category: Erm... Drama, Angst
Summary: Tony is hurt...
Spoilers: Maybe... yeah I guess for erm... well I've only see 6 eps, so it was one of them erm... Dead Man Talking. But only in passing.
Disclaimer: I don't own them... Don't I just wish... no these people belong to richer people than me, no copyright is intended and well you could sue but you wouldn't get much
Notes: I know I've said this before but let me say it again... BLAME KEL!!! She made me honest... made me watch it, made me watch it and like it and write it... well okay she didn't MAKE me write this specifically but if she hadn't made me watch it then I'd never have written this now would I?
Warnings: This isn't particularly happy... it will be, later, probably, but right now we're in the angst zone... which isn't really a warning per-say, but it's only fair to warn you if you want happy fluffiness, this part doesn't have any.
Word Count: 1,424
Date: 03-01-05
Beta: Nope
Archiving: Yeasureyabetcha!

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Forgetting Memories
By Kez

 

"Tony... I'm sorry." Gibbs sighed softly, and before he could chance his mind, turned and left.

Tony sat numbly. This wasn't happening. This did not just happen. This could not...

Gibbs has finished it. He had ended their relationship. Just like that, just said it was over, and that was it, no warning, no reasons, just... over.

Some small part of him wanted to rally against it, to fight back, to say no, to follow Gibbs back to his place and to force the bastard to tell him why, to fight against his reasons, to win him back, but the rest of him was too numb to even think of moving, he'd lost him... the first person... the only person... he'd ever really, honestly, and with all his heart, loved... and he'd lost him.

The tears were silent, but inside he was screaming, his head hurt with the pain of his heart screaming and breaking, but the only outwards sign was the slow trail of silent tears running down his cheeks.

~~~~~

Tony called in sick the next morning, he just couldn't face Gibbs... not yet, it was just too soon. He considered the thought that that made him a coward, but he really didn't care anymore.

Gibbs was like a lion with a thorn in his paw, he growled at everyone, even Abby met the short end of his temper, much to her own dismay, and Gibbs immediate guilt.

Ducky was the only one who dared to ask the reason for his mood.

"Jethro, please, we've known each other for years, I am more than aware something is wrong, what is it?" Ducky asked.

"I finished things with Tony." Gibbs told him, leaning heavily against Ducky's desk, his knuckles white where he held a tight grip on the object.

"What ever for?" Ducky asked, clearly surprised.

"He nearly died Ducky... and it was my fault... it's always my fault, and what happens next time? Next time I send him in undercover, or next time I let him trail a suspect? He may not be so lucky and it would be my fault." Gibbs said, trying to ward of the tremors, hold in the pain bubbling just beneath the surface.

"Oh Jethro... what have you done..." Ducky shook his head, offering the comforting presence of a hand on Gibbs arm.

"Are you going to stop sending him out in the field?" Ducky asked.

"What no! I can't do that, he's good at what he does but..."

"Jethro, any of us, myself included could be hurt doing this job, Tony good at what he does, but there is always that danger, than chance him, or anyone of us could be hurt... look at Chris..." Ducky reminded Gibbs of their lost friend and college.

"I know but..."

"No Jethro, no buts, the only difference now is that if, heaven forbid anything should happen to Tony he'll have spent the last of his life alone, or with someone who can never come close to how he feels for you." Ducky shook his head sadly.

Oh he sympathised with Gibbs, he honestly did, and he even understood the mans reasoning, but he knew if now anything did happen to Tony, Gibbs would still feel the guilt, the responsibility, and neither of them would be any happier in the mean time.

"Maybe Ducky, maybe." Gibbs agreed sadly.

They didn't continue the conversation, because Kate interrupted him, but Gibbs couldn't stop thinking about what Ducky had said.

~~~~~

Tony came back to work the next day. He did what he was asked, made the expected responses, but it was all just going through the motions, there wasn't a single person who didn't notice Tony's glum mood.

The call came in for a case, and Gibbs took Kate, leaving Tony alone in the office... he was bored, and still reeling from the break-up with Gibbs, so he decided to go for a walk, clear his head such as it was.

He was crossing the road heading away from NCIS headquarters, the light was red, but the blue car speed on regardless... Tony was aware of nothing beyond the pain, for a few seconds before it was dark.

Gibbs and Kate came back from the case, to find Abby, Ducky, and even McGee in the bullpen.

"What is this little meeting about then?" Gibbs asked, only half noting Tony's absence.

"Jethro..." Ducky stepped forward.

Gibbs felt his stomach knot, his eyes flying towards Tony's desk and back.

"Tony...?"

"He was hit by a car." Ducky said softly.

"What?" Gibbs couldn't believe it, it wasn't real, couldn't be real, Tony was one of his own, no this couldn't...

"He was taken to the hospital." Ducky told him.

"I... where..."

"I'll drive." Ducky insisted.

No one else moved or said anything as Ducky practically had to lead a shocked Gibbs to the elevator.

~~~~~

Ducky spoke with the doctors, while Gibbs sat in the waiting room.

Gibbs could normally handle any situation with stoic calm, but he was incapable of processing even the simplest of information right now... his mind still couldn't wrap around the fact that a car, one stupid damn driver, in one stupid damn car, could take Tony away forever.

"Jethro... the Doctors have just brought Tony out of surgery... they said you could sit with him for a little while if your quite." Ducky told him, having gotten all the information he could on Tony's condition, from the doctor.

Gibbs nodded dully. Following Ducky as he lead him through to ICU. Ducky didn't follow him into the private room Tony had been put in, waiting instead by the nurses station outside.

Gibbs felt the lump in his throat, constricting his breathing when he saw Tony.

The man who was normally so vibrant and alive was hooked up to probably every kind of machine known to man. The vacant beep, beep, beep of the heart monitor, and the hiss and puff of the ventilator in the background assuring that he was still alive.

Gibbs sat down in the chair by the bed, he felt tired, more tired than he'd ever felt, tired like every little bit of energy and life inside him had been sucked out leaving nothing behind.

~~~~~

When Kate, Abby and McGee turned up later, Ducky told them all the Doctor had said.

Most of the injures would heal, but Tony had hit his head, and cracked his skull. They were fairly certain they had repaired the damage to his skull, but there was always that lingering possibility of memory loss, or worse brain damage.

The Doctor's wouldn't allow them all in, especially as Gibbs was still there, sitting in the same place he had been for several hours, not having moved since he sat down.

"We'll stay out here." Kate said, and stay they would, until Tony woke up or the sun did, and they had to go back to work.

The pattern continued for several days, they had finally managed to get Gibbs to move, and between them made sure he'd eaten, showered, and gotten some, if not much, sleep. They spilt themselves between work, the hospital, and Gibbs watch, not difficult since Gibbs was generally either at work, or at the hospital.

They were a family, tight, and together, whatever the outcome might be.

Tony remained unconscious for days after the ventilator had been removed. The doctor's didn't seem overly concerned, telling them time and again that they body simply needed time to recover after injuries like these.

He was moved to another private room outside of ICU, and they were all able to see him. Even Director Marrow had come to see how he was doing.

They were all so excited by the call from the Hospital that none of them even asked how he was, before rushing down there.

"Okay listen, Mr DiNozzo is awake, but he has some gaps in his memory, how bad we aren't yet sure, please if he doesn't know who you are, try not to be upset or offended, he needs all of you to be calm." The doctor explained to them, before letting them in.

True to the Doctor's word, Tony was awake, and Gibbs had to fight with himself to not pull the man into a desperate hug.

"Tony." Gibbs kept his voice low, stepping forward ahead of the others.

"Hello." Tony replied, his head cocking to one side, his face confused.

And then he said it, the words that Gibbs was dreading..."Do I know you?"

 

TBC...

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Kez.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.