PLEASE NOTE: Sections of this site may contain material unsuitable for minors. If you arrived at this page without reading the warnings and rating information on the main page, please review them before proceeding.


Drabbles

~from sgatlantislight's quotes prompt~

by Night Spring


1. Half Full

Rating: PG
Length: 133 words
Characters: McKay, Sheppard, Zelenka
Pairing: Reader's Choice

In the comments to her quotes prompt, sgatlantislight said, about the following quote: An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be. -- just sounds so Radek somehow.

Thus, this drabble and a third was born.

I also threw in: A foolish man tells a woman to stop talking, but a wise man tells her that her mouth is extremely beautiful when her lips are closed.


"Can somebody tell me what's going on here?"

"See this tube? It's only half full? Well, we need to fill it to the top, or the engines will blow."

"Oh. Well, what is that liquid, and where do we get more?"

"If we knew, would there be panic?"

"Ah. Well, I suppose it could be worse. I mean, that tube could be totally empty."

"Oh. Ha, ha. How very helpful of you, colonel... Radek. What is it?"

"I found smaller tube! Half the size! Switch tubes, and engines don't blow."

"Well..."

"That's..."

"Genius."

"Lucky find."

"Sore loser."

"And you just stand around looking so pretty."

"Rodney? Your mouth is more attractive when closed. Can we put in tube now?"

...and so Zelenka fixed the engines, while Rodney put his mouth to better use.


2. Upon Stars

Rating: PG
Length: Drabble
Pairing: McKay/Sheppard

Quote: "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." -- Winston Churchill


John leaned over and planted a big wet one full smack on Rodney's lips.

"Yech." Rodney wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "You're going to be so sorry tomorrow."

"Sorry? Nah, not sorry. I'll be sober, and you'll still be... you."

Rodney stared at John's loopy grin. "Yeah, you wish," he muttered.

"Don' believe me? Jus' wait. Y'll see..." John sniffled into Rodney's shoulder. And promptly began snoring.

"Yick. You better not drool."

Rodney cradled John's head and shifted them down to lie on the narrow bedding, and watched the stars fall from the sky.


3. Little Things

Rating: PG
Length: Drabble
Pairing: McKay/Sheppard

Quote: There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. -- Rabindranath Tagore

Also inspired by this poem by Tagore.


It's the little things that tend to be important.

Like Sheppard squeezing his eyes shut tight as he steps through. Like the slight bounce in McKay's voice as he says, "We're not getting out of this."

As the team moves up the ramp, Jack wonders what Ernest Littlefield would have thought.

*

It's the little things that are important.

Like the pat of Rodney's hand on his arm. Like the tilt of John's head as he looks back.

As the team steps through to a new world, heads held high, they wake to a freedom rising from the depth of truth.


Back to Index