Pairing: Q/X
Rating: NC-17
Category: Angst, Drama, Non-Q/O, Action/Adventure
Archive: Master and Apprentice and Broken Circle--anyone else ask please
Summary: Qui-Gon learns a few lessons about passion and consequences.
Disclaimer: I don't own anyone, much less these fine characters--although I own a couple of action figures of them, does that count? Probably not. Oh well, I refuse to make any money off them in any event, so please don't sue me.
Notes: This story consumed my life this past summer, and I very much appreciate the many, many people who let me talk out the plot, who read snippets (even when the thought of Q/X made them nauseous ), who listened to me whine, and who were very supportive the whole time--especially poor Cori, who had to listen practically every day all day . Most of all, I want to get down on my knees and worship at the feet of Kimdy and Destina, two of the best beta readers the world has ever seen. If you see any mistakes in here, it's certainly not for lack of their trying to get me to see them.

And to No Doubt, who recorded the song that led to me spending hours pondering what Qui-Gon was like when he was young and happier and open and hadn't been betrayed yet...I'm not sure if I should say thank you or damn you.... ;-)

Also...there's a short sequel to this story on my website, and a longer Q/O one in the works right now.

Hope you enjoy!



The Seduction
by Nicole D'Annais
Copyright 2001



Coarse, dark hair slid through tanned fingers. Bronzed hands traveled down a long, pale column of a neck, across a wider expanse of the creamy skin, down the back to rest on taut flanks as the two separate beings fused together....

Qui-Gon closed his eyes tightly as if that would stop the images that came unbidden to his mind; they were nothing more than a sign of his own lack of control. What his student was doing in his free time was the boy's own business and Qui-Gon knew he should be ashamed of himself for listening in.

He drove the desires from his mind, replacing them with a careful serenity that would not put him in danger of discovery should his padawan sense his thoughts. Of course, to do that, the boy would have to actually be home.

With a deep breath, Qui-Gon opened his eyes. He watched as the first rays of the sun rose over the spire at the northeast corner of the Jedi Temple. Morning was fast approaching and there was still no sign of his padawan.

Just as his unease was sliding into worry, Qui-Gon felt his padawan nearing their quarters. He turned toward the door as it opened, allowing his disapproval to show on his face.

Xanatos' smile faded somewhat as he faced his master. "You're up early," he commented calmly as he shed his robe.

"On the contrary, I am up quite late."

The robe landed in a careless heap on the chair. "And I thought I was past the age when you had to wait up for me," he joked as he sprawled gracefully onto the couch.

"As did I." Qui-Gon crossed his arms across his chest, his frown deepening into a scowl. "Where have you been?"

"Out with friends." Xanatos laid his head back into spooned hands, elbows sticking out, and smiled up at his master. "We agreed I was old enough to come and go as I pleased."

"That was when I assumed you were old enough to know when it was time to come home."

The smile disappeared from Xanatos' face. "I apologize Master. If you have a problem with my late hours you need only say so." The contrite tone was at odds with the relaxed, confident body language.

Qui-Gon sighed. "See that you're home at a decent hour from now on and we'll say no more about it," he said in a softer tone.

"Yes, Master." He hastily covered his yawn. "Are we sparring this morning, Master?"

After a moment's silence, Qui-Gon took pity on the boy. "We'll spar this afternoon; your morning is free."

"Thank you." Xanatos rolled off the couch, standing easily. With a quick bow, he headed for his room.

Qui-Gon watched him go without bothering to hide his affection. He wasn't sure he was tough enough on the boy at times. His padawan needed a strong hand guiding him.

The Jedi Master grimaced at the surge of need that arced through him as the images he'd 'seen' earlier played through his mind again, this time with his own hands gliding across the smooth skin of his Padawan's body. He forced his mind to go blank, locking that scene far away in his mind.

Unbidden, another memory resurfaced-- Xanatos lying on the couch moments ago, pale face bathed by the sun, dark blue eyes sparkling in the bright morning light.

How was he supposed to reprimand his apprentice while the boy lay there, clearly satiated, exuding sexual satisfaction from his nocturnal activities? Hiding his attraction to his padawan was playing with fire; if the Council found out, he could be removed as Xanatos' master. If his Padawan wasn't so close to knighthood....

But he was. Approval of his apprentice's elevation to the rank of knight was imminent. He had passed the initial tests with flying colors; now all that remained were his trials. Qui-Gon had already put in a request that the Council consider choosing a date for Xanatos' trials. In fact, he'd put in two requests, since his first had received no response.

At least he'd received no *official* response. Privately, however, Master Yoda had voiced his concerns about Xanatos. "Not ready for knighthood, is he. Too eager to follow paths quicker and more pleasurable." The pronouncement still echoed through Qui-Gon's mind, haunting him. He was certain there was no cause for alarm. Yoda did not know Xanatos the way Qui-Gon did. There was no danger in enjoying life. Living in the moment was an important skill for a Jedi and if Xanatos lived each moment to the fullest he should be congratulated, not scolded. And judging from the fleeting images and more persistent feelings Xanatos transmitted through their bond, his Padawan was definitely living life to the fullest.

The boy simply needed to find the balance between recreation and duty, to see to it that he was not caught ill-prepared for any sudden missions because he'd been out until dawn having fun. Qui-Gon thought their talk today would take care of that problem. Then the Council would have no reason to keep Xanatos from his trials any longer.

A cloud passed in front of the sun, the sudden shift in light drawing Qui-Gon out of his reverie. He yawned as the sleepless night caught up with him. As he headed for his own room, he tried not to think of all the possibilities Xanatos' knighthood would bring about.

***

Qui-Gon was awakened mid-morning by a summons from his former master. He pulled a cloak of serenity around himself and buried his feelings for his padawan deep in his mind as he walked the distance to Yoda's quarters.

The timing of the request for a meeting was distressing . He could hide his feelings so well almost no one would be able to sense them.

Almost no one.

He had never had to shield something like this from his master--at least not since his padawan days. Now, of course, his shields were much stronger. But not necessarily strong enough to stop Master Yoda. As he arrived at his master's door, Qui-Gon hoped the strength of his shields wouldn't be tested today. As usual, the diminutive master's expression was serene, with not even a hint as to why he had called Qui-Gon to his room.

"You wished to see me, Master?"

Yoda looked up at him, the movement deliberate and unhurried, as usual. "Saw your padawan returning this morning, Qui-Gon."

He waited, but his master said no more, an old trick Qui-Gon knew well and frequently used himself. "Yes?"

"Padawans are not generally allowed to come and go as they please," Yoda continued after a moment.

"No, they aren't," Qui-Gon agreed.

His master watched him for another moment, then sighed, putting his whole body into that one exhalation. "Asked again that Xanatos be knighted, you did."

"The Council has come to a decision, then?" Qui-Gon asked, knowing they had not. If the Council had decided, they'd be having this meeting in the Council's chambers.

"Decided they have not." Master Yoda waved his hand toward the floor. "Come down here you will." The words held a touch of impatience. Qui-Gon knelt on one knee to meet his master's eyes. "Know you my thoughts on this," Yoda continued.

"You don't believe Xanatos is ready to become a knight."

"Dangerous, he would be, if knighted now." Qui-Gon opened his mouth to argue, but his master silenced him with a gesture. "Final mission you must take the boy on."

"Final? Is this some sort of test?"

"Test it is not. Lesson it is. If learn what he needs to know Xanatos does, knighted he will be."

"And if the Council decides he has not learned his lesson?"

His master's head dipped forward slightly, eyes sliding into mere slits. "If lesson goes unlearned, all else will matter not."

Typical cryptic Yoda message--vague warnings of doom that could mean anything. Qui-Gon rose to leave.

"Wait. One more thing to tell you I have. " The old Master looked carefully into Qui-Gon's eyes. "Tell him about this conversation you cannot. Only to think this is a regular mission, he is."

Qui-Gon nodded and rose from the floor. "Where is the mission, Master?"

"Telos." Xanatos' home world. A world where his father held much wealth and power. So it was a test, then, no matter what Yoda wanted to call it. The Council thought Xanatos would be tempted by wealth, but Qui-Gon knew better. The boy had his own kinds of pleasures, and money had never been part of them.

"Is that all?"

"So certain are you, then, that this will turn out as you wish?"

"I know my padawan."

Yoda frowned. "Mmmm. We shall see. Leave in the morning, you will. Sleep tonight, your padawan should."

"I will go prepare for the mission." At his master's nod, Qui-Gon bowed and left quickly, before he give anything away, if he hadn't already.

***

Qui-Gon returned to his quarters and began his research on the mission. Normally, Xanatos would help, but he needed to sleep. This mission would go well. Qui-Gon was determined to see that it did.

Halfway through his research, he reached out across their bond to see if the boy was still asleep. Contentment was the first feeling he sensed...contentment combined with arousal.

Qui-Gon tried to pull back from the bond, but he was assaulted with images from Xanatos' dream. He saw his naked apprentice, head thrown back, eyes closed in pleasure. Those eyes opened slowly, gazing fire down at Qui-Gon as Xanatos thrust into him over and over, whispering "Master" repeatedly, like a liturgy.

With a gasp, Qui-Gon wrenched himself free of the vision. While most students harbored such thoughts toward their masters at one time, Xanatos had never shown any sign of infatuation, and he was long past the age where such things were common.

So what were the boy's feelings, then? Boy? Qui-Gon laughed softly. He could think of Xanatos as a boy, but he was very much a man, and a desirable one at that. It was time Qui-Gon stopped running away from that fact and faced it.

The image from Xanatos' dream floated through his mind again, increasing his own arousal. Perhaps this was not quite the right time to face his feelings after all, if this was the effect a single image had on him. For now, he had to concentrate on the mission. Xanatos *would* be a knight. Once that happened, the rest would fall into place as the Force willed.

That decided, he put down his datapad and headed off to take a shower. A very cold shower. Then he could continue his research with a clear mind.

***

It was mid-afternoon before Xanatos surfaced, still dressing as he hurried out of his room. "Master, I apologize for oversleeping. You should have woken me."

Qui-Gon looked up from his datapad, cursing silently as his padawan's appearance--hair tousled, eyes half-lidded as he shook off the last signs of sleep--quickly undid the effect of the cold shower.

He hid the effect the boy had on him, conscious that Xanatos was staring at him oddly. "I let you sleep," Qui-Gon stopped to clear his throat, "because our plans have changed."

He waited, hoping his student hadn't sensed his thoughts. Xanatos' face cleared of confusion as he nodded at the datapad in Qui-Gon's hands. "We've a mission, then?"

Qui-Gon nodded, not trusting himself to speak as his apprentice came around behind him to read over his shoulder. Xanatos leaned over, his hands on his master's shoulders, his breath warming Qui-Gon's ear as he read.

Faster than Qui-Gon could think to stop it, the dream he'd witnessed slammed back into his mind. He fought it off, banishing it to a place deep in his mind, then held his breath, waiting.

The hands on his shoulders tightened their grip a bit; the breathing in his ear shallowed. Then Xanatos released him, moving away toward the kitchen. "So, we're going to Telos? It'll be wonderful to see my home world again as an adult."

Was that a reminder to his master that he was no longer a child? Qui-Gon shook his head. He was reading subtext into every word and action now. He had to gain control. Quicker than he would have liked, Xanatos reappeared, glass in hand. "Shall I go and pack for us while you finish preparing, Master?"

Master. Again the dream came back, the whispered caress Xanatos had made out of that word sending a sharp pang of desire straight to Qui-Gon's groin. "Yes, please, Padawan."

A brief pause, an almost startled glance, and then his apprentice disappeared back into his own room. Qui-Gon sighed in relief, then put down his datapad. He could finish reading in flight to Telos; right now he was more in need of meditation. He would conquer this. He would. Any other outcome was simply not acceptable.

***

If the few minutes after Xanatos had awakened had been difficult, the evening was turning out to be sheer torture. Given the upcoming mission and the reprimand he'd received that morning, Xanatos had chosen to stay in for the evening.

Trust his apprentice to choose the absolute worst time to be overly dutiful. Of course, it was exactly the right thing to do. Xanatos would be well-rested for the mission, and Master Yoda, who was no doubt keeping track of Xanatos' whereabouts, would perhaps be mollified by the boy's decision.

Unfortunately, neither of these things was helping Qui-Gon deal with his desire for his student. The errant thoughts he had when Xanatos wasn't around were difficult enough, especially combined with his knowledge of Xanatos' activities and now even his dreams.

None of that compared to having his padawan underfoot. How was he supposed to concentrate with Xanatos lounging on the couch, showing far too much skin and eating khana fruit?

Qui-Gon barely managed to suppress a groan as Xanatos finished the juicy piece of fruit and began licking his fingers one by one, silky pink tongue darting out across the tip of a finger, remaining in view longer to slide its way up the long length of each digit.

Just as Qui-Gon was considering crossing the room and ripping his student's clothes off, Xanatos rose and strode off into the kitchen, the tantalizing sway of his hips testing Qui-Gon's resolve once again. By the time Xanatos returned, still drying his hands on a towel, Qui-Gon had decided it was time for a hasty retreat to deal with his problem on his own.

He stood, quickly putting things away. "Is something wrong, Master?" Xanatos asked, changing course and coming to stand next to his teacher.

Qui-Gon took a step backwards, covering the action by reaching for a data chip on the shelf behind him. "Nothing is wrong," he answered as he stuffed the chip blindly into the pack. "I'm very tired, and I'll need to be well-rested for the mission, so I think I'll get some sleep now."

Even to his own ears he sounded like a babbling fool, but if Xanatos noticed, he said nothing about it. "Here. I'll finish packing this up. You go to bed."

The low, seductive voice, combined with the sizzle of heat as Xanatos' hand grazed his own as the young man took the pack from him, ripped away any protest Qui-Gon might have made, along with the last of his composure. "Thank you," he said huskily, then he hurried off to his room.

As his door shut behind him, he was stripping off his clothes. He locked strong shields firmly in place in his mind as he threw himself on the bed and reached for his erection. His hand wrapped tightly around the rock hard shaft and began pumping it mercilessly as he unlocked all his carefully hidden visions.

Xanatos, in the throes of passion, and a faceless man thrusting into him as his padawan moaned in ecstasy. That same man, now being thoroughly used by Xanatos as he uttered low words describing everything he wanted to do to his willing partner.

Another vision, this time of Xanatos receiving pleasure from one man while pleasuring another. The thought of so many others having had his Xanatos both angered Qui-Gon and aroused him at the same time.

His mind drifted to the newest images, those from Xanatos' dream that morning. Qui-Gon's hand sped up as he recalled the sheer bliss on Xanatos' face, the passion in the single word 'Master' whispered repeatedly.

Finally, his thoughts rested on the one erotic image that was real--Xanatos licking juice from his fingers moments ago. Qui-Gon replayed the slow glide of that tongue as it moved up each finger, leaving no part of it untouched.

He imagined that tongue trailing liquid fire up the length of his needy shaft. Would Xanatos be as thorough as he had been with his fingers? Would he taste every millimeter of skin there until Qui-Gon was mindless with need, coherent thought beyond him?

Or would he quickly cover the entire length, taking it deep inside his mouth, surrounding Qui-Gon in wet heat and then sucking his very life out of him through that one small opening in his body?

His climax took him by surprise, a hoarse shout escaping his mouth. Qui-Gon lay there for several moments, gasping for breath as the waves of pleasure slowly calmed.

When he finally felt he could stand without his knees crumbling beneath him, he rose from the bed and moved rather shakily toward the shower, hoping that release would be enough to see him through the mission. Force help them both if it wasn't.

***

He was going to die from the pleasure, he was sure of it. Qui-Gon shivered as he fell against the wall behind him, the cool durasteel supporting his back at odds with the intense heat in his body.

The heat was due to his padawan, who was currently focused on Qui-Gon's erection and doing everything he could to increase the temperature further. He laced his hands through Xanatos' close-cropped hair, holding him there, thrusting into his mouth, climbing closer and closer toward release.

Qui-Gon awoke with a start, gasping, his climax too close to stop now. He gripped his erection relentlessly, letting the dream play back through his mind as he slipped over the edge, release flowing through his body, easing the tension that had preceded it.

He threw his arm over his eyes, unwilling to face reality just yet. His heart rate and his breathing slowed as the sweat cooled on his body, and still he lay there, eyes covered. How could he go on this last mission and not reveal himself?

The answer came swiftly--because he must. Xanatos *would* be a Jedi Knight. And Qui-Gon would be his master until that happened. Whatever might happen after would have to be put out of mind until then.

He was a Jedi Master. He had the ability to control this. Now he had to find it--fast.

Suppressing a sigh, he threw back the covers back and slipped to the floor to meditate.

***

Morning dawned, and Qui-Gon found himself reluctant to leave the relative safety of his room. Yoda had found a pilot with a cargo ship full of droids who was willing to take them to Telos. Hopefully the ship would be large enough to keep some distance between himself and his padawan.

Living in close quarters with the young man was tough enough, even with outside distractions keeping them both occupied. Being stuck onboard a ship with him would prove to be a difficult challenge.

A knock at his bedroom door had him sliding into his robe even before he heard the soft voice on the other side. "Master, we must leave if we're going to meet the ship."

"Coming," Qui-Gon called. He winced at his choice of words. This would be a difficult journey indeed.

***

The ship was large enough, though not as large as Qui-Gon had hoped. The pilot, a humanoid who looked to be about Xanatos' age, met them at the hatch with a smile. "Stieg Wa," he said, nodding in response to their slight bows. "That's my name, by the way, not some kind of odd greeting or anything. Welcome aboard."

"I am Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is my apprentice, Xanatos."

"Right, the Jedi. " He laughed, a brash sound that echoed off the metal walls of the hallways he was guiding them through. "As if I'd be picking up any other kind of passenger at a Jedi Temple."

Qui-Gon ducked through one of the many doorways set at random intervals in the halls. "Do you pick up many passengers?" He hadn't been able to sense any other life forms on board.

Stieg Wa shook his head. "I usually carry cargo only--much safer than passengers. Cargo is predictable. Well, most of the time." He turned and grinned at them as he stopped. "This is your room. Sorry I only have one, but like I said, I don't usually have passengers. I owed Master Yoda, though, so here you are."

"One room will be fine," Qui-Gon said politely as the pilot moved away, calling over his shoulder for them to join him in the cockpit when they were settled.

Mentally, he cursed his former master as he followed Xanatos into the room. With an effort, he released his anger into the Force. He could feel the curious gaze of his padawan, but he refused to meet the younger man's eyes.

If it were possible, he would ignore Xanatos for the whole week it would take them to get to Telos. But he couldn't ignore his student. Even though he was ready to be a knight, there was still much for the young man to learn. And much he could teach his master as well.

Thoughts and sensations assailed him, vivid enough to stop him mid-stride. Xanatos' dream from the previous day was the most prevalent, having replayed itself so many times in Qui-Gon's mind he imagined he could feel each thrust of the young body into his.

"Master?"

Qui-Gon jolted back into reality. Xanatos was staring at him, blue eyes wide, lips parted slightly. Try as he might, Qui-Gon couldn't pull his focus away from those wet, inviting lips.

"Is something wrong, Master?" His voice was slightly breathless, and through their training bond, Qui-Gon could feel Xanatos' growing arousal, no doubt fed by his master's emotions.

Suddenly, Qui-Gon regained enough control to slam his shields back in place. Xanatos gasped as he was released from the assault of his Master's feelings.

"Master?" he said again. "What--?"

"Excuse me, Padawan, I must go find...." He stopped, unable to think of any excuse to leave beyond the truth--and that was the one thing he couldn't say. "I'll meet you in the cockpit in twenty minutes."

Ignoring the confusion on his student's face, Qui-Gon hurried out the door. He tried three of the doors around their room before he found one that was unlocked. He opened it, relieved to see it was the bathroom he'd sought.

He locked the door quickly behind himself, jerking his leggings down and grabbing his erection unmercifully. His mind recalled those soft, inviting lips, committing every crease in them to memory as he quickly brought himself to orgasm.

Gasping, Qui-Gon leaned back against the wall and slid down onto the cool floor. He tilted his head back and rested it against the wall, eyes closed. He was an adult, a Jedi Master, and he was jerking off in a bathroom like a teenager. He had to do something.

The trouble was, he was beginning to think there was only one cure. And he would not, could not even contemplate that action.

***

Once he had composed himself into the image of the calm Jedi Master, Qui-Gon made his way to the cockpit. As he approached, he could sense a growing irritation in his padawan.

Frowning, he slowed as he drew close enough to hear the conversation. "Well, kid, I don't know about that cushy Temple of yours, but out here in the real galaxy, we have to pay our way, and therefore we take the quickest route possible. So we fly through pirate territory."

"It only takes four more days to go around," Xanatos said in a sulky voice Qui-Gon barely recognized.

"And those four days add up to at least one less shipment I can make a month, not to mention the wasted fuel. I didn't get to be where I am by playing it safe. But don't worry, I'm not stupid either. We'll be fine."

"I know *we* will be," Xanatos snapped. "Just don't expect us to protect you!"

"Xanatos!" Qui-Gon took the last few steps into the room.

His apprentice's head whipped around, anger quickly replaced by shame. "Master!"

"Apologize to Stieg Wa." He waited while the younger Jedi made a suitably contrite apology, then continued, "Perhaps you should go finish unpacking." Given the few belongings they traveled with, that really wasn't necessary, but it would help his apprentice save face. Ordering him to his room would do nothing to help the situation.

"Yes, Master." Xanatos nodded to Stieg Wa, bowed to his master, and left.

Qui-Gon turned to the pilot. "He has been under a great deal of stress with his trials approaching."

"Trials? What'd he do, kill somebody for taking the long way around town?"

"These trials are the final test to become a Jedi Knight, something he's worked his whole life for." Qui-Gon forced the annoyance out of his voice. "It can be a difficult time."

The pilot shrugged. "Sure, whatever. No skin off my back if the kid gets a little testy. I was meaner than a rabid bantha the last week before I tested for my pilot's license. Just don't expect me to treat him any different."

"Of course. It will be a good lesson for him in holding his temper," Qui-Gon said with a smile. He watched as Stieg Wa began checking instruments on the wall panels. "Is something wrong?"

"Looks like everything's fine. Just checking it over." He pointed to a row of instruments. "These go to the cloaking device. And those," he said, indicating another row, "go to an alarm to warn me about approaching ships. We're going to need both of those things fully functional if we run across trouble."

Qui-Gon nodded. "It seems you have everything under control--not that I expected anything less--so if you don't mind, I'm going to go have a talk with my apprentice." The pilot waved a hand in dismissal, so Qui-Gon turned and left to seek out his padawan.

***

Qui-Gon paused at the door of their room, his hand above the entry keypad, and took a deep breath before entering the code. He stopped short just inside the door; his apprentice had done a thorough job of the task he had been assigned, he couldn't argue that. Clothing was scattered all over one of the two small beds. Xanatos sat in the middle of the mess, accusing eyes raised toward his master. "Is there another task you wish me to perform, Lord Master?"

Stunned, Qui-Gon bristled at the cold anger in his apprentice's voice. "That's quite enough, Padawan," he barked. "I'll not have you take that tone with me."

"You *ordered* me out of there! In front of that pilot! The man will be treating me like a nothing the rest of the trip--as if he wasn't rude enough to me before!"

"Padawan! That is quite enough." Qui-Gon stared in shock at the younger man. "The only one I saw being rude was you."

"I was simply informing the man that we could make it safely to Telos without flying right through the middle of pirate territory."

"You told him we would not protect him," Qui-Gon countered, crossing to stand over his student. "We are sworn to protect, Xanatos. I don't care what you think of Stieg Wa's decisions; if it becomes necessary, you will protect him."

"Of course I will, Master," Xanatos answered immediately. "I wouldn't really leave the fool to die. Not that he wouldn't deserve it for getting us into the mess in the first place."

Qui-Gon frowned down at him. "What has gotten into you?"

The harsh laugh he received in response drew Qui-Gon down to sit next to the young man. Dark blue eyes just inches from his own clouded with something other than the anger that had filled them moments earlier. "Really, Master, do you have to ask?"

Answers crowded Qui-Gon's mind, some of them too vivid for his own good, but he squelched them all, choosing to pretend ignorance. "If it's bothering you this much, then yes, I do."

That hollow laugh rang out again. "Which is the greater sin, Master, being rude, or lying?" When Qui-Gon could find no response, Xanatos leaned closer, lowering his voice to a near whisper. "Do not tell me to be the model of a perfect padawan while silently asking me to be anything but."

Qui-Gon swallowed painfully. His own forbidden desires were to blame for Xanatos' riotous emotions. The next seven days spread out before him, one long nightmare of trying to fight his own demons as well as quell the reactions they caused in his padawan.

The answer seemed so simple in that moment. He could lean forward, capture those lips taunting him so close to his own. Take what he wanted, what he now knew they both wanted, and the volatile emotions would calm.

Such an easy solution. Such a pleasurable solution. He leaned forward until his lips were almost there, savoring the sweet breath from the mouth so close, tasting it, anticipating the next taste he would have.

A knock at the door brought him back to his senses. He pulled back suddenly, scarcely able to believe what he'd been about to do.

"Midday meal will be served in my office, right next to the cockpit, in five minutes," Stieg Wa called through the door. "Be there, or be very hungry until evening meal."

The muted sound of the pilot's footsteps faded quickly, leaving the two Jedi in silence for a long moment. "Master, I--"

"We must go," Qui-Gon interrupted, hurrying to the door. "It wouldn't do to be late."

He waited, hand on the door controls, until he heard the rustle of fabrics as his apprentice rose from the bed. "Yes, Master." Qui-Gon ignored the sulky tone that once again laced the young man's voice. Considering that his own actions had put it there, there was little he could say that would help. He opened the door and turned down the hallway without looking back.

***

Midday meal was one of the most uncomfortable experiences Qui-Gon could remember. Stieg Wa told them a little about himself, the route they were traveling, and the ship. Qui-Gon listened with interest, or at least appeared to. The majority of his mind was still trying to come to terms with the scene with his padawan in their room.

Xanatos ate quickly, paying little attention to the pilot's chatter, but not going so far as to be openly rude. Even if Qui-Gon couldn't sense the young Jedi's emotions through their training bond, the tightness around the corners of his mouth and the barely-veiled anger in his eyes would have given them away. The two of them were going to have to have a talk. Just as soon as Qui-Gon figured out what to say.

Pushing those thoughts aside for now, Qui-Gon turned his attention back to Stieg Wa. "Of course, like every old ship, she has her drawbacks. I never had her fitted with sonics, since I prefer a nice, long soak in real hot water myself. I keep an extra tub in the 'guest' bathroom, just in case, so you can bathe. Water's short, though, so I'll be cutting back, and you'll only be able to fill it halfway once a day."

Qui-Gon felt a sharp rise in Xanatos' emotion, saw the look in his eyes, and decided it would be prudent to get his apprentice out of the room before another fight with the pilot ensued. "I'm sure we can make do," Qui-Gon told Stieg Wa. "Thank you for the meal. I hope you'll excuse us; it's time for our afternoon katas."

"Sure. Evening meal's in here as well. I'll hunt you down when it's ready."

The Jedi Master nodded absently, his attention on Xanatos, who clearly knew he was being handled and didn't like it. "Padawan, shall we?" After a moment's pause, Xanatos nodded curtly to the pilot and followed his master out of the room.

***

The two Jedi walked slowly to their room, footsteps echoing off metal in the silence. Neither seemed anxious to arrive at their destination. The near kiss from that afternoon hung over them like a heavy cloud. As they reached the door, Qui-Gon was still searching for a solution to their problem that didn't involve simply giving in, but the answer eluded him. How could he start the discussion when he didn't have the answers? He needed more perspective.

His mind made up, he turned to his padawan at the door. "I want you to go inside and meditate on your anger. Find the source and resolve it." He held up his hand when Xanatos would have spoken. "Stay here. I expect to see a vast improvement in your actions when I return." With that, Qui-Gon turned and strode off down the hallway, trusting his apprentice to go into the room and do as he was told.

He didn't stop until he reached a large cargo hold as far from his room and his apprentice as he could get. There was limited space in the hold, but it was enough to do some of the more restrictive katas if he didn't use his lightsaber.

Two hours later, Qui-Gon collapsed onto the floor in a sweaty heap. The familiar exercises had helped calm his mind, and he was ready to see if meditation could bring him the answers he sought. He shifted into a position more conducive to meditation, legs crossed, arms resting lightly on his thighs. Eyes closed, he let the Force flow through him as his mind drifted without conscious direction.

He wanted Xanatos. An obvious fact, but he needed a place to start, and the blunt admission was as good a place as any. Master/Padawan infatuations were not uncommon, from either side of the relationship. But they generally occurred earlier in the apprenticeship.

These feelings for his padawan were fairly new. Only a few months before, they had been working in a training room at the Temple. Qui-Gon had corrected a sloppy defense move by his student, and as the young man repeated the move, Qui-Gon's attention had been more on the ripple of young, strong muscles beneath pale, silky skin than the skill they were working on. He'd had to have Xanatos repeat the move three more times before he'd been able to pay enough attention to declare it passable.

That night, the dreams had begun. His subconscious seemed to be unable to stop seeking out Xanatos when the young man was engaged in his pleasurable pursuits. It was as if he was tuned directly into his apprentice's emotions, and the moment he sensed Xanatos was aroused, Qui-Gon couldn't stop himself from having a look.

He'd told himself it was a reaction to Xanatos' impending knighthood, an attempt to find a way to hold on to his student, that his physical reaction was just because it had been so long since he'd been intimate with another person. So he'd gone out and found a very accommodating man, and thought about Xanatos the whole time, no matter how hard he'd tried to keep his mind on the man beneath him. When that didn't stop him from obsessing, Qui-Gon tried sleeping with a woman, with the same results. Finally he'd had to face facts; he wanted Xanatos.

Which left him in the same place he'd started--enamored with his padawan and without and idea what to do about it. Unless...no, he could not give in, not even now that he knew Xanatos felt the same.

His thoughts went back again to the snippets of the dream he'd intercepted, focusing on the intense desire he'd sensed from the younger man as he'd dreamed of taking his master, and the answering desire it awakened in him.

All thought of meditating on a solution left him. He tried desperately to center himself as his fingers itched to grab his erection and relieve the pressure the mere thought of his apprentice created. His hands, however, seemed to have a mind of their own, creeping across his thighs, moving down--

"Master?"

Qui-Gon jerked out of his meditation, staring up into the clouded eyes of his apprentice. "Padawan! Did I not tell you to stay in our room?"

"Yes, Master." The words, the low voice, thick with an emotion Qui-Gon couldn't quite put his finger on, cut straight to the core of him. "But I felt something...a call...through the Force." The younger man knelt suddenly, his hand falling to Qui-Gon's thigh, nearly sending the Jedi Master running from the room. Xanatos' tongue snaked out, wetting his lips. "Is...is everything all right, Master?"

"I'm fine, Padawan." Qui-Gon paused to clear his throat, trying not to stare at the tempting mouth. "You should go back and finish your meditations."

Xanatos settled on his knees and tucked his legs beneath him. His hands rested more firmly on his master's thigh. "I have found the source of my turmoil, Master."

A raised eyebrow was Qui-Gon's only reply. He didn't trust his voice enough to speak. The warmth of Xanatos' hands had quickly spread to his now painful erection. "I wonder though, Master...do you feel it too? Is that the call I felt?"

Midnight blue eyes burned into his, not so much demanding the truth as daring him to lie. Qui-Gon stared wordlessly, losing himself as that look changed to one of certainty. He sat there, frozen, as Xanatos leaned closer, inviting pink lips moving in until they captured Qui-Gon's in a soft, probing kiss.

Hands that had been intent on stroking his own flesh now reached for his padawan. They slid up the young man's forearms to the muscular biceps, tracing every muscle he'd been responsible for forming.

He reached for Xanatos' neck to pull him closer, intent on dragging him down until they were lying on the floor together, until they could be pressed against each other from head to toe.

"Hey, Jedi!" Stieg Wa's voice rang out from the corridor outside the cargo hold.

Qui-Gon pushed his student away and jumped to his feet, shocked at his own behavior, but Xanatos smiled up at him, completely unashamed.

Stieg Wa entered the room. "Master Jinn, I've been looking for you all over the ship. There's a communication from Master Yoda."

"Thank you." Qui-Gon replied, sparing the pilot a glance. "I'll be right there."

Stieg Wa nodded and left. Qui-Gon turned his attention back to his student. "We'll talk about this later," he said quietly.

"Yes, Master." The smile on Xanatos' mouth widened.

"For now, stay here and run through some katas. Use the exercise to release your anger with Stieg Wa. I trust you will not let his barbs get to you again?"

Xanatos shook his head, still smiling. "No, Master."

"Good. Now, get to work."

"As it pleases you, Master," his apprentice replied as he stood, the proper phrase taking on volumes of meaning when combined with the look on his face.

Qui-Gon turned and left before the promise in those words could entice him to stay.

***

For the next two days, Xanatos was as good as his word. Stieg Wa's continuous teasing was met with a smile and silence, but no anger. Though Jedi were not supposed to feel pride, Qui-Gon took a certain amount of pleasure in the quick attitude change. He would make a fine knight soon.

It was the only pleasure the Jedi Master would allow himself. Despite Xanatos' obvious frustration, and his own slightly better hidden desires, he refused to give into what he wanted. What they both wanted. But it was getting more and more difficult.

On the third morning, Qui-Gon was running through katas in the cargo hold when he sensed a sudden spike of danger through the Force. He barely had time to get to the door before an explosion rocked the ship, sending crates of droids smashing to the ground, the broken boxes cluttering the space where he'd been exercising moments before. More blasts slammed into the ship as ran to the cockpit. Xanatos hovered just outside the control area, watching Stieg Wa intently. The pilot banged on controls on the wall for a moment, scowled, then jumped into his chair and began steering them in all different directions.

"What happened?" Qui-Gon asked, unable to stop himself, even if the pilot did need to concentrate.

"Pirates," Stieg Wa responded grimly.

"Pirates? I thought you turned the cloaking device on when we entered their space."

"I did."

Qui-Gon frowned. "Then how did they find us?"

"The cloaking device wasn't working. The indicators were on, but the device itself had been tampered with." He glared over his shoulder at Xanatos, making it clear who he thought had deactivated the system.

"I told you, I didn't touch your cloaking device!" the younger Jedi protested. "Or anything else on your ship! You know, if you'd just stop being so stubborn and surrender to them we might make it out of this alive."

Stieg Wa shot Xanatos a heated glare. "Listen, kid, the next time I want your advice--"

"Now is not the time to argue about this," Qui-Gon interrupted. "Can we help, Stieg Wa?"

"Just stay out of my way. That'll be help enough."

The two Jedi stood just outside the cockpit, hanging onto handles built into the wall for a moment before Qui-Gon stepped inside. Despite the ungracious reception of his offer to help, he couldn't help himself. "He's coming up on the starboard side."

There was only the briefest flicker of hesitation before Stieg Wa moved to counter the unseen ship. After another warning from the Jedi Master kept them from a close call, Stieg Wa grimly indicated the co-pilot's seat. Qui-Gon took the seat, careful to keep his hands off the stick and offer verbal comments only. Grabbing control from an unsuspecting pilot never accomplished anything.

Finally Stieg Wa managed to elude the pirates and sat back in his chair, surveying the panels in front of him. "We're going to need some repairs before we can go back to full power. I'm afraid you're going to be a little late getting to Telos."

"That can't be helped," Qui-Gon said immediately. "What can we do?"

"You're welcome to help me with the repairs," the pilot said, nodding at Qui-Gon. "But I want your student here to keep his hands off my ship. He's done enough damage already!"

"But I--"

Qui-Gon silenced his apprentice with a look. "Why don't you wait for me in our room?" After a pause, the young man nodded stiffly and stalked off. "What proof do you have that he sabotaged your ship?"

"Proof? Nothing beyond the fact that you two are the only other ones on here."

"Oh? Why him? Why not me?"

He laughed. "Because you didn't even notice when I told you the wrong panels for the cloak and the warning device. Both of them were tampered with--not from the cockpit--and by someone who knows a lot more about mechanics than you. I'm betting your apprentice knows a lot about them."

"He does. But that still doesn't mean he did it."

"Well unless we've got ghosts running around here that I don't know about...."

The Jedi master thought for a moment. "You say the tampering wasn't in the cockpit? Where was it?"

"Near the back of the ship. The source of power for both devices was rerouted so only power to the indicator lights worked."

"And you checked this before leaving port to pick us up?"

The pilot blinked. "Well...no. I checked it when I docked at home because I was reading some power fluctuations. But I don't normally check that on a pre-flight unless the ship's been damaged. It's not something that goes wrong on a ship."

"So it could have been tampered with at any time since you last docked at your home port."

"In theory, yes. But--"

"I appreciate your hospitality, but I suggest you take great care before accusing Jedi--or anyone else for that matter--of acts of sabotage. I understand you and Xanatos don't get along, and that would make him your main suspect from your past experience. But I've known him all his life, and he would not do such a thing."

Their gazes clashed for long moments, then Stieg Wa nodded. "I will make sure I have more proof before I accuse anyone again." His eyes were shrouded, as if he was afraid to say more.

Qui-Gon excused himself and made his way to his room. Xanatos was sitting on the bed, but he jumped up as his master walked in. "Master, I would never be so foolish as to sabotage a ship I was on. Surely he must see that?"

"I know, Xanatos. It's all right. I believe the ship was tampered with before he left his home to pick us up."

The young man sighed in relief. "I was afraid he would convince you I was guilty."

"Do you think I know you so little? Have some faith in me."

"No, Master, it's just that lately...."

Qui-Gon closed his eyes for a moment. They did not have time to deal with this properly now. But he couldn't let it go. "Lately?"

"You...no, *we* have both been...not ourselves."

An understatement. "You're right. But now is not the time to talk about it. We need to help Stieg Wa."

Xanatos' lower lip slipped out further, testing Qui-Gon's resolve to put duty over desires yet again. "He will not let me help."

"I'm sure we can get him to find something for you to do. Let's go talk to him." He turned, his padawan falling in line beside him as they traced their way through the halls back to the cockpit.

***

Stieg Wa was reluctant to allow Xanatos to touch his ship, but after a little pushing on Qui-Gon's part, he relented.

"You can fix the wiring in cargo hold B. Part of the auxiliary power's been damaged--one of the blasts from the pirates hit it, but it's fixable."

Xanatos nodded and turned to leave. Stieg Wa placed a hand on his arm to stop him. "I'll be checking your work after you're through, so no funny business."

The young Jedi stiffened slightly, as he met the pilot's cool gaze with anger, then he gained control. No emotion showed on his face as he nodded again and left.

A small smile formed on Qui-Gon's face as he watched his apprentice's retreating form. Xanatos had learned much about controlling his anger on this journey. Perhaps that was the lesson Yoda had wanted him to learn.

He roused himself out of his musings and turned back to Stieg Wa. "What can I do to help?"

"The damage in the last cargo hold was more than just me losing some of my shipment." Both men began walking toward the back of the ship as he spoke. "The boxes are piled on a vent that needs to be clear to allow ventilation. If I go to full speed with that stuff lying there, the engine could eventually overheat, the boxes would catch on fire--you get the idea?"

"You need the boxes moved," Qui-Gon said dryly, summing up the long explanation.

"Right. There's a loader in the storage area, if you can get to it. I'm sorry I don't have any droids that can help you, but I never did trust those things much. They can be reprogrammed. I'll haul 'em, but I try to avoid using them. Besides," he added as they reached an intersection in the maze of hallways and stopped, "I kind of like doing the work myself."

"I understand. And don't worry, I think I can handle moving boxes."

Stieg Wa looked down at the floor, his cheeks tinged with pink. "I realize it's probably bad form to give a Jedi Master a menial task, but everything else that needs to be done is technical work, and you can't even tell one set of indicator lights from the other."

Qui-Gon smiled. "We frequently get handed 'menial work,'" he responded. "We serve the Force in whatever way is needed."

"Then I'll just say 'thank you' and let you get to work." The pilot returned Qui-Gon's smile and walked off, leaving Qui-Gon to head the opposite direction toward the cargo hold.

***

Qui-Gon moved unsteadily down the hall, exhaustion hampering his usual grace. He stumbled, and only a quick tug with the Force kept him from spilling the tray in his hands. The physical and mental exertion of moving the damaged materials in the cargo hold, combined with his lack of sleep over the past week, had him in a near sleep-walk state. He had to sleep before they arrived at Telos. Or the pirates came back. Or he fell over trying to walk.

Finally, he made it to the room he shared with his apprentice. He stopped outside the door to center himself, then went inside. Xanatos was there, sitting on his bed, staring at the wall. He started to get up, but Qui-Gon shook his head. "Stay where you are," Qui-Gon said as he sat the tray down on a small table at the foot of the bed, then settled onto the floor next to it. "Evening meal," he explained unnecessarily.

"The bed is far more comfortable than the floor, Master," Xanatos said as they both began to eat. "Will you not sit beside me?"

The corner of Qui-Gon's mouth quirked up as he waved a hand toward his own body. "The bed would be far less comfortable to sleep in if I were to transfer even a portion of all this dirt onto it." Even though he had used the Force to move the most of the rubble, dirt and dust had been everywhere, and the more objects he moved, the more clouded the air around him had become. "I've come through sandstorms cleaner than this."

Xanatos smiled. "Stieg Wa stopped by long enough to say we could use a full tub of water this evening. Shall I draw you a bath?"

"You go first. I fear the water will be completely unusable by the time I finish."

"Are you sure?" Qui-Gon nodded, trying to ignore the pang of desire that slid through him as he watched his apprentice gather his things and leave the room, the silent grace of the movements enough to affect him in his present state. How could he possibly control himself in the time it would take to complete this mission? He could barely manage half the trip to Telos!

He settled himself into a comfortable position and fell into a light meditative trance, hoping to find the answers he needed. Master/padawan relationships were frowned upon, but mostly ignored unless it caused problems in training. So what kept him from simply giving in? Was it his own perverse need to be the perfect Jedi? Even the detachment he had sought from the trance couldn't keep Qui-Gon from frowning at that. It was not his conscious wish to be perfect. Yet he strived for it daily without a second thought. But this hesitation was more than just that need to excel. Something inside of him balked at taking the final step. If only he could figure out what it was.

A knock at the door brought him out of the trance. "Enter."

Stieg Wa opened the door and stepped inside, leaning against the door jamb. "All of the repairs are done except for one. I need to go outside the ship to do it, and there's a meteor storm right now."

Qui-Gon could hear the occasional ping of meteors striking the hull of the ship. "Are we in danger?"

Stieg Wa shook his head. "They're not big enough to do any damage to the ship, but they'd rip a hole in a space suit in a heartbeat. Meteor storms are common in this sector and usually last for several hours; it'll be clear by morning, and I'll be able to finish. Then we'll hit full power and be out of this damned system."

"Very well," Qui-Gon nodded, only then noticing the stiffness in his neck. He checked the time and realized he'd been in his trance far longer than he'd thought. What was taking Xanatos so long? "We'll see you in the morning, then?" he said, returning his attention to Stieg Wa.

"Bright and early," the pilot responded with a grin. "Have a good sleep," he added as he left, closing the door behind him.

"It certainly would be a refreshing change," Qui-Gon muttered as he rose, his legs protesting the movement. He should go check on his padawan. Just a quick peek in the door to see if the young man was all right. Certainly he could handle that.

Resolve hardened and shields up tight, he left their room and went to the bathroom. The door was unlocked, so he opened it quietly and looked in. Xanatos was still in the bathtub, eyes closed, sound asleep. His hair was damp, black strands clinging to his forehead, such a contrast to the pale, almost translucent skin. One long leg hung over the side of the tub, as did a slender arm. How anyone could manage to look so elegant asleep in a bathtub was beyond Qui-Gon.

He swallowed hard before he cleared his throat. "Xanatos." The word came out in a hoarse whisper, despite his attempts to make his voice sound normal. "Xanatos," he said again, his voice stronger and clearer this time.

The young man stirred, dark lashes at the ends of white eyelids fluttering open to reveal deep blue eyes. "Master?" He shook his head and sat up, the leg disappearing back into the tub. "I'm sorry, I must have fallen asleep."

"It's all right, Padawan. We're both tired."

"Yes, Master." The words were emphatic, and Qui-Gon got the sense he meant more than just physically tired. Then Xanatos stood, and Qui-Gon lost the ability to speak. He'd seen that body in his dreams, in his apprentice's dreams, but it had been a while since he'd seen it in the flesh. He found himself instantly hard, his body on fire as he stared at the young man before him, watching the play of muscles beneath skin that begged to be touched, possessed, marked....

His arousal must have seeped through his shields and along the bond. Xanatos stopped in the middle of drying his hair and turned dark eyes smoldering with an answering flame toward his Master. Even if Qui-Gon hadn't seen the arousal in the younger man's eyes, and felt it through their bond, the thick shaft jutting out from his hips would have given his padawan away. Not that he seemed anxious to hide any of the signs. "I'll wait in the other room," Qui-Gon said quickly, rushing out the door before he could reach out and grab what he wanted.

Qui-Gon gathered his things quickly, ready to leave as soon as Xanatos was finished. When his apprentice returned to the room, Qui-Gon lowered his eyes as he brushed past the young man, glad of the clothing in his hands, certain he would not have been able to resist touching him if his hands had been free.

He made it to the bathroom before he allowed the full extent of Xanatos' affect on him hit him. His knees gave out, the door supporting his back as he sunk to the floor, eyes closed, breath coming fast. He was doomed. Not even Master Yoda's controls could withstand this kind of assault.

But he would fight it as long as he could. He opened his eyes and stood, stripping off the layers of clothes as he crossed the short distance to the tub. Surprise registered as he saw there was steam rising from the water. He thought back carefully and realized Xanatos had only had about half a tub of water. His padawan must have filled the tub the rest of the way before returning to their room, so his master would have hot water.

Affection for the young man grew inside him, mixing with the desire until it became almost impossible to resist the urge to go next door and claim what he knew would be his one day. But not yet. He pulled off the last of his clothing and sank into the water, sighing from pure physical pleasure as the heat instantly soothed the aches in his muscles from his earlier exertion. He drifted along for a while, neither asleep nor awake, just living in every moment with no thought to the next. He had no idea how long he had been in there when his padawan's presence disrupted his peace. His eyes opened, meeting the younger man's gaze instantly, fighting against the fire he found there.

Neither of them spoke for a long moment, then Xanatos slowly moved forward. "You were gone so long I thought you might have fallen asleep as well." The words were low and seductive, despite the innocent meaning.

"I...I was meditating." His padawan stood directly over the bathtub now, but Qui-Gon made no move to conceal himself. Xanatos' eyes moved down the length of his body, lingering on the obvious erection.

"Meditating on *what* exactly, Master?" There was amusement in the voice, and something else.

Determination.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath as his padawan slipped off his tunic and reached for the drawstring on his pants, pulling the tie loose in a slow, mesmerizing motion. At that moment, he couldn't have moved if ten fleets of pirates had attacked the ship. He could only sit and watch, anticipation barely allowing him to keep from pulling the young man into the water, pants and all.

At last, the pants slid down the length of those beautiful white legs, past his line of sight. Xanatos stepped out of them, then moved to sit on the edge of the tub, bracing one hand on either side and leaning down, closer and closer to his target. "The time for running has passed, Qui-Gon," he whispered, his lips not quite touching those of his master.

With a groan, Qui-Gon reached up and pulled on the back of his apprentice's head, bringing those lips down to meet his own. His mouth was devoured as Xanatos invaded with his tongue, demanding complete surrender and finding it, kissing him with an almost brutal intensity. Qui-Gon heard himself whimper as Xanatos pulled away, but the younger man simply smiled as he rose enough to step into the water, settling himself with one leg on either side of his master.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes, biting his lip to keep himself from coming right then and there. Xanatos seemed to sense his need to gain control before continuing, waiting until Qui-Gon's eyes opened and he reached for his apprentice, pulling him down for another kiss.

Nothing, not any of the dreams he'd had, none of the situations he'd visited through Xanatos' eyes, had prepared him for the reality of that smooth skin sliding along his, the water easing the friction, and at the same time increasing the sensation. He could feel every hair, every goose bump, every skin cell wherever he touched his padawan. And he touched everywhere he could. His hands couldn't get enough of that skin, running down his padawan's back, across the tight cheeks down to the back of his legs and up again to move to his chest. The Jedi master circled one of the younger man's nipple with his finger, feeling it harden into a stiff peak. But he wanted more.

Qui-Gon pulled away from the kiss, lips moving down Xanatos' chin to nibble on his neck, taking small nips until he worked his way around to the juncture of the young man's neck and shoulder. There he stopped, sucking hard on the skin, determined to mark the paleness with his own dark brand, savoring the feeling as his apprentice arched against him, crying out with pleasure.

At last he pulled back and looked at the red patch, decided it would do, and continued his journey, raising his apprentice up higher onto his lap, intent on reaching those dark nipples with his mouth. Their erections slid against each other as Xanatos rose higher, tearing loud gasps from both of them. Qui-Gon found one nipple with his mouth and began to worship it with his tongue, tracing circles around it, teasing the hard nub there, worrying it with his lips.

Xanatos laced his fingers through Qui-Gon's hair, his hold so tight it hurt. The pain aroused Qui-Gon further, and he sought to return the favor, biting down on the tip of the nipple in his mouth and tugging gently, causing just enough pain to quicken the pace of Xanatos' hips as he rocked against his master, the motion shooting flames through Qui-Gon's entire body. He longed to sheath himself inside the willing body he held, to bury himself in that warmth.

His padawan caught the intent of that thought and smiled, reaching behind himself and inserting one finger in his own tight opening, closing his eyes in pleasure as he slid his own finger in and out. The shocking action pushed Qui-Gon beyond the point of no return, his lips capturing Xanatos' as he replaced the young man's finger with two of his own. He swallowed his apprentice's groan as two fingers became three and Xanatos pushed himself as far down on those fingers as he could. "More," he sighed against his master's lips.

Qui-Gon removed his fingers and lifted Xanatos up, positioning the young man over his master's shaft. He held onto the last thread of his control enough to look into his padawan's eyes, to be absolutely sure this was what he wanted. Xanatos' only answer was to lower himself onto Qui-Gon's erection, inching down slowly until they met skin to skin, Qui-Gon buried as far inside his apprentice as he could go.

They stayed that way for a long moment, not moving, committing this first time to memory. Then Xanatos whispered softly, "Oh, Master. Qui-Gon...." The words broke the spell, and they began to move as fast and as hard as they could, knocking half of the water out of the tub in their driving need for completion. Their mouths met in hard kisses, lips and tongues seeking to devour each other just as their bodies were doing below. Xanatos pulled out of the kiss and leaned back, arms supporting him from elbows to hands on the side of the tub, and shifted his position slightly, changing the angle of his master's erection inside him.

Both men cried out at the sensation, quickly returning to that hard, fast pace. Xanatos let go of the tub with one hand, reaching down to enclose his own erection with his hand, pulling and tugging at his shaft with as much energy as he could. He came quickly, the reflexive tightening of his muscles around Qui-Gon's erection bring the master over the brink as well. They rode the waves out together, hips slowly undulating after the initial overwhelming pleasure subsided, seeking to pull every last drop of feeling out of the moment.

Finally, Xanatos collapsed against his master's chest, lips nuzzling his neck weakly as they both let their breathing slow naturally, in no hurry to end this joining. After they had both calmed somewhat, Qui-Gon rubbed a finger over the mark of possession at the base of Xanatos' neck. "Mine," he whispered, not a question, not a claim, just a simple statement of fact.

Xanatos raised up enough to meet his eyes. "As you are mine."

He could feel the younger man's erection firming again as he pulled him forward, meeting his lips in a bruising kiss as they began all over again.

***

Eventually the water grew cold, and the hour late. Still, Qui-Gon roused his sleeping apprentice with reluctance, placing a kiss on the temple closest to him and whispering the young man's name.

Xanatos stirred, then settled more comfortably against his master's body. The movement brought Qui-Gon's desire rushing back full-force, but he held it in check. "The water is cold, Padawan. We need to go back to our room."

"But I'm comfortable here." Xanatos' lips moved against Qui-Gon's neck as he spoke, further fuel to the fire Qui-Gon was barely holding in check to begin with. "Besides," he added, raising his head to smile wickedly at his master, "we can keep each other warm."

Qui-Gon accepted one kiss before pushing his apprentice away. "Yes, we can. But not here. Up. Now."

Xanatos did as he was told, lower lip stuck out in silent protest. As soon as he stood he wrapped his arms around himself, shivering. "It's cold!"

"That's what I've been trying to tell you." Qui-Gon had pulled a large bath sheet around his back and was drying off, but Xanatos had other ideas. He took advantage of Qui-Gon's open arms to trace a line down the center of his chest before leaning in until their skin touched completely from shoulders to knees.

Qui-Gon put his arms around the young man, wrapping them both in the large sheet. "What are you doing?" he asked. His tone, however, failed to even hint at sternness, as Xanatos' chest slid along his own, creating almost unbearable friction.

"Getting warm," Xanatos replied with a wicked grin, rubbing against his master once more before leaning in for a kiss. His hand traveled down Qui-Gon's back, slipping between his cheeks to test the opening there.

Qui-Gon groaned, his arms dropping to his sides as he pulled away from the warm body. "Our room," he said softly, as he wrapped another bath sheet around his apprentice. "I'll be along in a minute."

"Come with me now," Xanatos requested, tugging at his master's arm.

"Stieg Wa could see us. It's too risky."

The pout turned into a frown. "You're ashamed. Of this--of us."

"No. I simply want this part of our lives to be for us. Not for the Jedi--at least until you are knighted." He caressed Xanatos' cheek. "I will not have your knighthood tainted by idle talk. You deserve better than that."

The quiet determination of those words seemed to reassure the young man. He nodded, wrapping the sheet tightly around himself, picked up his clothes, and left quickly. Qui-Gon emptied the tub, cleaned up what water hadn't drained into the grates in the floor, then gathered his own clothing and left.

He barely had time to shut the door to their room before Xanatos was on him, lips and hands demanding as he pulled Qui-Gon toward the nearest bed. The clothing fell from Qui-Gon's hands, then the sheet disappeared as well, leaving them both naked as they tumbled onto the bed, Xanatos writhing underneath his master, burning thin trails of fire down the older man's back with his nails.

"I want you," Xanatos gasped, in between tastes of Qui-Gon's shoulder and neck. "Want..." a pause to slide his hand down Qui-Gon's back to the small opening between his cheeks, "inside you." He thrust one finger into the opening, biting down on Qui-Gon's shoulder as the master arched up with a gasp. "Now. Please."

Qui-Gon groaned in response, pushing back against that finger, trying to take it as far inside himself as he could. "Yes," he breathed, thrusting harder as Xanatos inserted two fingers, then three. He shuddered as they touched a spot deep inside him that sent sharp arcs of pleasure coursing through him. His mind began to replay the dream he'd seen while his padawan slept back at the Temple. "Inside me," he growled, pulling away from that maddening touch with effort, and sliding onto the floor, dragging his apprentice with him.

For a moment Xanatos glared, angry to have lost the closeness of skin on skin, then he realized what his master intended. A wicked grin spread across his face. "Yes, Master." Qui-Gon rolled over onto his stomach, then raised himself up onto his knees and elbows, resting his forehead on the smooth durasteel floor, the coolness of the metal helping him to calm his heated body a little.

Xanatos' hands landed on his master's hips, causing the older man to shiver as they slid slowly up his sides, to his shoulders. A warm chest slowly lined the length of Qui-Gon's back, warming him again quickly as his apprentice resumed biting at his neck and shoulders. The younger man was moving his hips against his master's backside, his erection sliding teasingly in and out of the space between his cheeks. Qui-Gon reared his head back, offering more of his neck, but Xanatos moved his lips away, kissing his way down his master's spine until he reached the small of the man's back.

Slowly, Xanatos traced a wet line down between Qui-Gon's cheeks, parting them with his hands to gain better access. He thrust his tongue into the opening there, wetting his master to make the entry easier. Xanatos moved away suddenly but before Qui-Gon had time to protest, he was back, and Qui-Gon swallowed a whimper as his padawan's erection pushed at his opening, meeting the resistance with firm pressure.

A moment more, and then Xanatos won out, breaking the surface to rest just inside his master's tight channel. The burn of the invasion warred with the pleasure of finally having this man inside him. As his padawan began to slowly sink further into him, the burn began to fade, replaced more and more by the overwhelming satisfaction of being taken, and by the intense pleasure Xanatos was broadcasting through their bond.

Passion swirled around them and through them, increasing in waves as they fed off each other's desire. Qui-Gon could sense they were both about to reach the pinnacle, wanted to slow down and draw it out, but couldn't. He came with a hoarse shout, felt his padawan follow him into ecstasy, both of them riding out the wave of bliss before collapsing onto the floor.

As their breathing began to return to normal, Qui-Gon started to realize the floor was very cold and very hard. He smiled when he moved and Xanatos groaned in protest. "Not to sound redundant, Padawan, but it's cold down here."

Qui-Gon felt his apprentice smile against his back. "If you are cold, then perhaps I did not fulfill my end of this bargain," Xanatos said lazily.

"*That* was most definitely not the problem," he answered, then moved again. "The bed would be warmer, not to mention far more comfortable."

The younger man sighed. "I suppose you are right. But only if you plan on sleeping in the same bed as me. Otherwise I'm not letting you up."

"Well, it would definitely be warmer if we shared body heat."

"I'll show you body heat," Xanatos growled, writhing against his master.

"Padawan...bed. To *sleep*," he added, just in case he was misread.

Xanatos pouted, but he let his master up from the floor. "As long as I can sleep in your arms, that will have to do."

"I wouldn't have you anywhere else," Qui-Gon said immediately, leaning in for a long kiss before he turned off the lights. "Sleep," he reminded softly.

"Yes, Master." They climbed onto the bed, not bothering with clothing, and curled up together under the blanket. Qui-Gon listened as his padawan's breathing quickly fell into sleep patterns. He tried to follow the young man into slumber, but couldn't quite relax enough. The enormity of what they'd done, and what they'd have to do to keep it quiet, weighed down on him, heavy in the dark silence.

It was a long time before he slept.

***

He knew before he was fully awake. Before he remembered, without even opening his eyes, Qui-Gon was aware he was wrapped in his padawan. He could feel the young man's distinctive presence in the Force, could smell him with every breath, could feel the smooth skin of Xanatos' forehead against his chin and lips, his hair tickling Qui-Gon's nose. And he could feel warm skin touching his own all the way down his body--an arm wrapped around his chest, a side warming his stomach, a leg draped over both of his own, and the soft flesh between his apprentice's legs that began to harden as Qui-Gon moved against all that tempting skin.

Xanatos stirred, and Qui-Gon felt the young man smile against his shoulder, then place a quick kiss there. The master's eyes remained closed as lips were replaced by a tongue that traced a line of wet heat down to one nipple, as a deft hand made its way lazily down Qui-Gon's torso to his growing erection. The tongue followed the hand's path, stopping now and then to take little bites as it delved lower. Fingertips teased the master moments before his padawan's mouth engulfed him, sending him up in flames.

"Xan--" the word cut off with a groan as Xanatos sucked hard, reaching down to tease Qui-Gon's balls now as he worked his magic with his mouth. Qui-Gon threaded his fingers through his apprentice's short hair, barely managing to restrain himself from gripping the young man's head to the point of unbearable pain as he slowly began to thrust into that oh-so-talented mouth.

The knock at the door elicited a groan of a different kind. Qui-Gon's hips stilled, and his eyes flew open, but Xanatos refused to stop. "Yes?" Qui-Gon managed to choke out, hoping it was loud enough for Stieg Wa to hear, because he didn't think he could manage another word.

"Breakfast in twenty minutes. Then I'm going to get started on the last of the repairs."

"Thank--" A quick biting of his own lip kept Qui-Gon from shouting as Xanatos slipped two fingers inside him, even as the young man continued his work with his mouth. Somewhere in the distant real world, Qui-Gon heard Stieg Wa's footsteps grow fainter and fade, not that it mattered much. He couldn't have stopped himself from responding at this point if his life had depended on it.

He closed his eyes again, holding onto his sanity even as Xanatos tried to drive him crazy. His mind supplied the image he'd seen in the brief moments his eyes had been open. Xanatos, dark head between Qui-Gon's legs, pale skin spread out below, pink lips covering his erection, a look of sheer pleasure on his face. And one long look into the black eyes rimmed with deepest blue, a look of total possession. Of desire. Of ownership.

The wealth of passionate feeling behind that last emotion was enough to send Qui-Gon over the edge, as he arched his back and came, dimly aware of his padawan holding on for the ride. After, he lay there for several minutes, just breathing until he could think again. When he finally returned to some semblance of coherency, it was to find his apprentice stroking himself, face buried in Qui-Gon's hair, body alongside his master, touching every inch of the way.

Wordlessly, Qui-Gon slid down the young man's body and took his shaft all the way into his mouth, swallowing around the tip. Xanatos arched up, his hips inches off the bed as he climaxed with a shout of his master's name, then collapsed back onto the bed. Qui-Gon crawled back up next to him, gathering him in his arms.

Xanatos' breathing finally slowed enough to allow him to speak. "Good morning, Master."

Qui-Gon laughed. "That it is indeed."

They lay there for a few more minutes, Qui-Gon steadfastly refusing to think of consequences. The ramifications of this could stay in the back of his mind and needle him all they wanted; he wasn't bringing them out into the light of day. Not yet. There would be time for that later. "We must get up," he said at last, placing a kiss on his padawan's head and sitting up in the bed.

"Why?" The sulky tone was at odds with Xanatos' actions, as he followed his master's example and stood, reaching for his clothes.

"Because Stieg Wa has breakfast ready. And I've seen you when you're hungry."

Xanatos grinned then, a dangerous light in his eyes as he finished pulling on his pants. He stalked over to his master, wrapping his arms around the older man. "I'm hungry now," he growled as he fastened his lips to Qui-Gon's shoulder.

"For food, Padawan." The tone was forceful, but Qui-Gon was slow to push the young man away. He did finally extricate himself, and the two of them finished dressing and headed out to find Stieg Wa.

Breakfast was a quick affair, all of them anxious to be out of the Landor system and away from the pirates. Stieg Wa finished first, dumping his dirty dishes in the cleaning unit before the Jedi had finished half of their own meals. "I'm going to suit up and finish the repairs on the platform. We should be ready to leave shortly."

"Be careful," Qui-Gon said. Stieg Wa was an experienced pilot, and had no doubt done things like this numerous times, but any trip outside the ship in a space suit carried an extra risk. There was no such thing as too much caution.

The pilot grinned. "I always am."

As Qui-Gon finished his breakfast, he felt his padawan's gaze on him the whole time. He steadfastly refused to look at the young man, but after a few minutes of that intense scrutiny, he had to say something. "Padawan...."

"Yes, Master?" The polite words held a silky undercurrent of pure sex that sent Qui-Gon's pulse racing.

"You must control yourself," Qui-Gon admonished, finally meeting Xanatos' eyes. "Others will be looking for signs of our relationship. If we are to keep it secret until your knighthood, you must bury your feelings deep."

Xanatos' eyes narrowed to thin slits. "Am I not even allowed to look at you when we are alone?"

"When we are alone you may do as you please," the Jedi master answered, a shiver running through him at the thought of things that might please his padawan. "But Stieg Wa could return at any moment."

"Stieg Wa does not have any Force ability. He wouldn't be able to sense anything from me."

"He wouldn't need to. Anyone with eyes could figure out exactly what you were thinking just now."

Xanatos took a deep breath. "I will endeavor to be more careful in public in the future, my Master." His voice now held a sulky note, a sign of the willfulness the young man had never quite outgrown. In truth, Qui-Gon had not pushed him to subdue that trait nearly as much as the rest of the Order would have dictated. He had found from personal experience that sometimes a little willfulness was more of a help than a vice when it came to dealing with the Council.

"We'd best get this cleaned up and prepare to leave," Qui-Gon said, taking his dishes to the cleaner. "We'll need--"

A sharp blast to the side of the ship interrupted him, sent him flying across the room, almost into his apprentice's lap. "The pirates--Stieg Wa!" Qui-Gon yelled, already running for the door.

Xanatos was right behind him. "There's only one more suit where he is. I'll get one from the other hatch and meet you back there as soon as I can."

Qui-Gon nodded, turning down the hall toward the back of the ship as his padawan went the other way. He made it to a porthole close to the dorsal platform in time to see Stieg Wa, hurrying toward the door. Qui-Gon braced himself against the wall as another blast rocked the ship. He regained his balance and looked out the porthole again to see Stieg Wa clutching his arm, unable to cover the blaster hole in his suit. Pirates were already rocketing over to the ship, jet packs on the back of their space suits making it a quick journey.

Closing his eyes, Qui-Gon reached out with the Force, intending to fend off the pirates until Stieg Wa could get back to the door. When he looked again, however, the pirates had reached the ship unhindered. He frowned, then concentrated harder, but to no avail.

"Sith!" Qui-Gon put the Force problem aside to wonder about later. He looked around, found a space suit, and began the laborious task of putting it on as his apprentice rounded the corner.

"What are you doing?" Xanatos demanded. "Have you lost your mind?"

"I'm going out there to save him!"

Xanatos looked out the porthole. "You can't go out there! The pirates are already on their way--if you go out there they'll capture you too."

"I won't leave him to be captured!" Qui-Gon pulled the suit up and started sealing it shut.

Xanatos knocked his master's hands away, ripping the seals off. "You can't take them all! And I won't let them take you!"

Qui-Gon fought him, neither man able to accomplish anything while they battled. "Padawan! I *will* save him!" He managed to shove Xanatos off, but before he could get to the door, his apprentice had a firm grip on his arm.

"You can't! Look!" Xanatos jerked him roughly over to the window. "They have him! And if we don't leave they'll have us too. Do you know what Jedi go for on the black market?"

"I--" His training gnawed at him, urging him to stay and fight, but the pirates were closer to their own ship than Stieg Wa's, and he could not face all of them *and* the guns of their ship and hope to win.

"Master. *Qui-Gon.* We must go." He pulled on his master's arm, tugging him toward the escape pods. After a moment, Qui-Gon nodded. He took one last look at Stieg Wa, being carried back to the pirate ships by one man, while three more began opening the hatch that would lead them to the hallway the Jedi were standing in, then turned silently, following his padawan to the pods.

They made it there in seconds. Xanatos picked the first one, yanking the hatch open and dragging his master inside, almost as if he were afraid Qui-Gon would change his mind. Only when the hatch was sealed and the pod had jettisoned did Xanatos allow his grip on Qui-Gon's arm to loosen. Not that he let the older man go--instead he climbed onto him, facing him in the odd bench-like seat that tilted slightly, enabling the padawan to stare down at his master. "I thought I might lose you," he breathed.

"I'm still here," Qui-Gon reminded him with a shaky smile. Xanatos' answer was to kiss his master soundly.

After a few moments, Qui-Gon pushed him back. "We need to set the coordinates before we drift too far."

"They're already set. I set them myself after the first attack."

Qui-Gon frowned at him, a faint sliver of unease working into his mind. "Why would you do that?"

"Are you kidding? After we'd been attacked once and were sitting dead in pirate space? The odds were against us. And I always leave a back door, even when the odds are good."

A reasonable point in favor of the action. Qui-Gon shoved the unease away, focusing instead on the fact that they were now safe, even if the same could not be said for Stieg Wa. The pod had a homing beacon that they didn't dare turn on, but no com equipment. He would have to contact the Temple when they reached Telos and have knights sent to track Stieg Wa. The pilot had been captured serving the Jedi; he would not just be left to his fate. Not without a fight.

"Master," Xanatos sighed, tucking his face into the crook of Qui-Gon's neck. "Promise me you won't take risks like that again."

"I shall do what I must." He relented slightly as his padawan's arms tightened around him. "But I will promise to be careful."

Xanatos raised his head to look down at him. "Then I will hold you to that," he said earnestly. He lowered his lips to meet Qui-Gon's, placing a relieved kiss there, then looked over his own shoulder at the control panel. "We have two days till we reach Telos," he said, returning his attention to his master, a dangerous gleam in his eyes. "What shall we do to occupy ourselves in the meantime?"

"We shall meditate," Qui-Gon answered. He knew what his padawan was hinting at. He could feel the young man's growing erection against his own, sense Xanatos' relief at their escape and need to feel everything, to know they were both unharmed and quite alive. And he felt the same need growing inside himself.

However, they needed to conserve their strength, and be fully aware of everything around them. Sex with Xanatos, in any form, tended to shut out the rest of the galaxy. And Qui-Gon needed to meditate on the problem he'd had with the Force on the ship.

"Hm...perhaps we can meditate later?" the young man replied, rubbing his hips against Qui-Gon's.

The Jedi Master wavered, but his resolve held. "Padawan. We must keep our attention focused on our surroundings." He hated to see the hurt look in Xanatos' eyes as the rebuke hit home, but he had no choice. In normal situations, Xanatos was hard to deter when he wanted something. In this kind of situation, Qui-Gon knew he would be nearly impossible, but Jedi Master refused to waiver.

After a moment, Xanatos realized his pouting wasn't going to work. "Yes, Master," he growled, giving in, but not even pretending to be gracious about it. "But I'm not moving."

"Fine." They could meditate like this--there was precious little space to sit as it was. The pod was cramped and cold, meant for survival, not for comfort, and at least this way they would conserve heat. "But meditate," he commanded firmly. "Focus your attention outward, and be alert for danger."

"Yes, Master." The tone was even angrier, but Xanatos did as he was told, closing his eyes and curling into his master. Qui-Gon sensed him settling into a light trance, sending out tendrils of the Force, searching for possible problems.

Qui-Gon allowed himself one moment to breathe in his apprentice's scent before he settled into a trance himself, finding no problems with his Force connection, but putting the question of that earlier difficulty aside as he kept watch while they made their way to Telos.

***

Qui-Gon settled back on the bed with a sigh and closed his eyes. After two days cramped up in the escape pod, they'd made it to Telos, but he'd had to call the Council and deal with Stieg Wa's capture and the sticky questions it created. He'd managed to get away without having to answer too many directly. He still hadn't figured out what happened to his Force abilities on the ship, and he wasn't anxious to answer questions regarding his apprentice in any capacity.

He reached for his neck, kneading the muscles there, trying to relax them. Every muscle in his body ached--whoever designed those escape pods must have meant them for Ewoks. He could use a massage. A very long massage. Xanatos had gone off with his father as soon as they'd been rescued from the pod and brought back to Thani. The capital of Telos had much to offer in the way of entertainment, but Qui-Gon much preferred the solitude of his room. Or the company of his apprentice, if the young man ever showed up.

As if on cue, Xanatos walked in. Qui-Gon watched as he crossed quickly to the bed, flopping down on his stomach with his head propped on his fist, and studied his master. "Sore, Master?"

"Those pods aren't built for any person of normal height, much less two tall men."

Xanatos grimaced sympathetically, reaching out to rub Qui-Gon's shoulder. "I'm a bit sore myself. But I know what will fix that."

"Hmmm?" Qui-Gon responded, leaning into the soothing touch of his padawan's hand and closing his eyes again.

"The chau'baq."

His eyes opened again. "The what?"

"Chau'baq. It's a large tub, with hot water, and--well, I'll show you. Come on." He tugged on his master's arm, pulling him into a sitting position, then moving away from the bed. He crossed to Qui-Gon's pack and searched through it, then frowned. "I think there were some...just a minute." Qui-Gon stared after him, eyes fixed on the empty doorway until Xanatos returned. "Here," his apprentice said, dropping a garment on the bed. "Put that on and meet me in the lounge. Down the hall to the right, third door on the left."

The Jedi master eyed the flimsy garment warily. "Why?"

"Trust me, Master," Xanatos said, grinning. "You won't regret it."

"You're not going to wait for me?"

A gleam entered Xanatos' eyes. "If I stay in this room while you change, I suspect neither of us will be leaving for a while."

"There is that," Qui-Gon agreed softly, a smile finally crossing his lips. "I'll meet you in a few minutes."

Xanatos nodded and walked out, closing the door behind him, and leaving Qui-Gon to contemplate the rather small amount of fabric he'd been left with and just what he was getting himself into.

***


To Part Two