------------------------------ The Sentinel Project Part 10 by Lianne Burwell March 2003 ------------------------------ Spender was quite pleased with the way the first outing of his personal force of Sentinels. The Canadian and his cop Guide had managed to set off silent alarms when they broke into the safe -- Spender hadn't included details about that part of the alarm system in the information he'd given them to see how they would handle unexpected problems -- and they'd passed that little test with flying colors. Perhaps he should have activated the Sentinel Project long ago. He quickly dismissed that thought. Sentinels -- as the clever young Mr. Sandburg had noted in his unfinished dissertation -- were strong-willed, and drawn to roles that were protective. The group downstairs included a park ranger, two soldiers, two cops, one of whom was a former soldier, and a firefighter. Their partners seemed to be all drawn to teaching or psychiatry. Not one of them would have willingly worked for the Consortium. Even now, he knew that only the current situation kept them compliant, and he wasn't foolish enough to think that they would stay that way once the current crisis was over. At that time, he would probably have to make the choice between letting them go or killing them, since they would be far too much trouble to try to keep locked up. He hadn't decided which road to take yet, although he was considering letting them go. Doing so would let him keep an eye on any off-spring, as well as leaving open the possibility of taking them again. Perhaps even generate a little bit of goodwill. Dead, they would never be of use in the future. Unfortunately, there was no chance of ... reeducating them into a more compliant mindset. Three Sentinels had fallen into the Consortium's hands in the past, and the only one to survive the psych team was Alex Barnes, and she'd ended up escaping. She'd also been very unstable by that point. The only good thing was that she had led them straight to Blair Sandburg and his research. The two men had been returned to the storage level while Spender went through the file they'd stolen from the Department of Justice building. The job had been a test, but the file actually was needed. Johansson -- the man whose office they'd broken into -- was one of Jerome's top allies within the government, and he'd received word from one of the people in Michaels' camp who'd come to his senses that Johansson kept information in his safe that was of interest to Spender. His informant had been quite right. The first half of the file were financial information, showing movement of funds into investigations that he doubted that the government had authorized. The rest of the file was in code, but it was one that he recognized easily. He pulled a pad of paper out of a desk drawer and picked up a pen. And hour later, his good humor had evaporated. The file went into his very high-tech safe, and the entire pad of paper went into a mini incinerator disguised as a waste basket. He watched it flare up, then turn into ashes, imagining feeding Michaels into it, feet first, slowly. The man was not just a fool, he was also insane. Spender gritted his teeth and resisted the urge to destroy something. Unfortunately, it was too late to stop the man's plans. Besides, it would show his hand sooner than he wanted. There was nothing to do except wait. >>>~~~<<< It was almost dinner time on another dull day. Scully wasn't sure who did the cooking, just that it wasn't her. In fact, she didn't do much at all, which wasn't going over very well with her. She was in hiding, so she couldn't exactly go to the local library. Their... hosts had left a number of books in the various houses they'd stayed in, but she was getting tired of twenty-year old Harlequin romances. Instead, she was spending a lot of time surfing the net on the laptop Mulder had given her, reading everything from the latest online editions of medical journals to current affairs to amateur fiction. She'd learned more useless facts about television shows she'd never watched than she cared to. Scully was bored. Without a doubt, bored. And boredom left her with too much time for her to brood. Her current situation. The fate of friends and family that she didn't dare contact. Mulder and his ill-advised relationship. Scully growled softly to herself and pushed her latest reading material away -- a mystery this time, and one so obvious that she'd known whodunit almost before the murder had been committed. She still couldn't believe that Mulder had finally fallen for Krycek's seduction techniques. She'd thought he'd been safe, after not even noticing Krycek's attempts for years. She'd certainly noticed, right from the start. Right from the day he'd shown up, pretending to be a naïve young agent, he'd been trying to get into Mulder's pants. But Mulder had been oblivious, just like he'd been oblivious to everyone else who'd tried to do the same. But she'd been foolish enough to let them go off together, and now Mulder was acting like a love-sick teenager. Damnit, how could he be this stupid. And then he'd announced that he was heading off with Krycek to hunt down the rat-bastard's contacts. More underworld thugs, no doubt. They were probably more likely to turn the two men over to Spender. Or maybe just Mulder. Maybe this was all some convoluted plan to trap Mulder. She certainly wouldn't put it past him. The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs next to the parlor told her that it was dinner time. She didn't bother marking her spot in the book. She had no interest in reading on to find out how many hoops the detective had to jump through before realizing that the son's girlfriend was the killer. There was one change tonight, which caught her off-guard. Sitting on the table next to her plate was a pile of papers. She sat down and picked them up. Shuffling through them, she found that they were technical documents, detailing a project. "What are these?" she asked, holding them up. She wasn't the only with reading material to go with her dinner, she noted. "I've finished going through the disks," Broots said, not quite meeting her eyes. There was something about the shy, nervous man that reminded her a little of Pendrell, the unfortunate lab tech who'd taken a bullet for her, even though she'd never paid much attention to him. One victim among many of Mulder's quest. "I found a variety of files that might be related to the place we're looking for. One projects that appear to be happening in New Mexico, and two in different locations in Mexico itself. The actual locations are encoded. So are the more technical details. But the top one sounds the most promising." Scully nodded, not really listening as she flipped through the pages as she ate her dinner mechanically. Project Tezcatlipoca was a genetic experiment, according the file. It was just a précis, the sort that would be handed to a bureaucrat who had no idea how to interpret scientific data. The basic description was that they were trying to blend human DNA with animal DNA, felines in particular. It sounded like science fiction, or it would have if Scully hadn't seen firsthand the results of similar experiment done by the consortium to create human-alien hybrids. This experiment seemed a logical, if you could call it that, extension of those experiments. Broots continued on. "I did some looking at Aztec mythology. Tezcatlipoca was one of the gods who helped create the world. It took five tries to get it right. The first time, he was the one to create the world, and when his rival struck him down for it, he turned into a jaguar and destroyed the world in a fit of rage." "This says they were crossing humans with cats?" Kincaid said, looking up from his own papers. Scully was a little surprised that the man was able to pull even that much out of the précis, although Broots' little folklore lesson probably helped. Kincaid struck her as barely more than a thug. Gun for hire turned biker. Besides, the man had slept with Alex Krycek, which showed bad judgment, and he'd done so even though he knew that Krycek was trying to get into Mulder's pants, and she had little respect for anyone who went for one-night stands. "That's what it says," she said smoothly, carefully covering her reaction. As far as she was concerned, Kincaid was barely better than a Neanderthal, so the fact that he was understanding the information in the files was a little galling, but she wasn't foolish enough to show it. With Mulder gone, she felt very isolated. She was the only woman in the house, and the only government employee, and it was obvious that some of the bikers were suspicious of her as a result. "It doesn't say whether they had any success, though." Kincaid seemed to hesitate for a moment. "I think they did," he finally said, speaking very slowly, almost reluctantly. "And how do you know that?" Scully asked sharply, glaring at him. "I think I've met a result of this project," he said. Scully shook her head. "I have trouble believing that they could have produced a viable infant," she protested. "This project was started nearly forty years ago. Anything they produced would probably have been severely retarded." Kincaid snorted. "You've never met Vincent." "Who?" The mercenary hesitated again, frustrating Scully. Finally, he put down the papers. "Your partner met him. He and his people were one of the most valuable resources we had when we were fighting the Morthren. In appearance, he is human- shaped, but his face is feline. He has golden fur and what can only be called a mane. Basically, a human crossed with a lion." The he smiled. "And he loves poetry, studies philosophy, and is the kindest, most gentle man you have ever met. But threaten the people who depend on him, and he is the most ferocious fighter you have ever seen." "Then how is he not still in this project?" Scully asked, since it was obvious to her that if he was in the hands of the Consortium, he wouldn't have been able to do what Kincaid claimed. "No one knows. He was found as an infant abandoned outside of a hospital by a man that everyone called Father. And don't ask for more information than that, because I won't tell you." The stubborn way he said it told her not to bother trying. But the whole idea -- if she could believe it -- was intriguing. "I'd like to meet this Vincent someday." Kincaid shot a suspicious look her way. "I don't know about that. Vincent has nearly fallen into the hands of scientists more than once in the past. You'll understand that he prefers to avoid them." That was irritating. "I'm not going to want to cut him open," she said. "But you'd just love to run some tests, study him, right? Don't bother denying it." Scully frowned, but didn't say anything. Kincaid had obviously made up his mind that she was some sort of mad scientist. Besides, she wasn't sure that she believed him. Still, the next time she talked to Mulder -- she'd received one email from him so far, informing her that they'd arrived in Chicago in one piece, and asking if they had any news -- she would have some questions for him. "So, what makes you think that this is the so-called Mexico Project that we're supposed to looking for?" she asked Broots rather than dignifying Kincaid's accusations with an answer. Broots looked like he wanted to be anywhere but in the kitchen right that moment, and her question caught him off- guard. "Well... It's a scientific project, and it's named after an Aztec god, and the indicators say it's in Mexico, which makes it the most likely candidate of the files." He glanced at her nervously, as if he was expecting her to disagree. "I've got decryption software running on all three files, but it will go faster if it's only working on one file, 'cause they've all got different encoding systems. I think this one is the one to work on first, but I wanted..." He trailed off, and Scully frowned. How could someone be so insecure, she didn't know. She flipped through the sketchy information on the other two projects. One sounded like a SETI project, pretty small, and the other was a warehouse system. There weren't enough details to tell what they were warehousing though. "Go with this one," Kincaid said firmly, dropping the Tezcatlipoca Project papers on the table. "Why? What possible reason would Spender have for sending Agent McCullough to a genetics facility?" Scully shot back. "Instincts. I trust mine. And we won't know why until we find her, unless we can get Spender to tell us," he added sarcastically. "What do you think?" He asked, turning to Jarod -- a man who Scully still found an enigma. "I agree," Jarod said. "We need to make a choice, and this one sounds like our best bet." Scully sighed. It was beginning to sound like her opinions weren't going to matter much. It was like working with a house full of Mulders without even the pretense of respect. "I agree too," she said reluctantly, even though she really did agree. She turned back to the related pages and skim read them a second time. It really was a fascinating concept, obviously related to the human-alien hybrid program she and Mulder had run into in the past, and while she found it hard to believe that there'd been much success, since the précis made it obvious that there was far more non-human DNA being used in this project than in the others, it did pique her interest. "Print out anything else in the files once they're decoded," she said, looking down to realize that she'd finished eating. Rather than wait around for the others to finish their own meals, she stood up and headed for the stairs. Time to fire up the laptop again and doing some web-surfing. She wanted to find out if there was anything in any of the online scientific journals to support the information she had so far. >>>~~~<<< Broots watched the tiny red-haired woman as she disappeared from sight, then breathed a sigh of relief. "Is it just me or does she remind you of Miss Parker?" he asked Jarod. Kincaid looked puzzled for a moment, then went back to his dinner. Jarod looked thoughtful. "A little, perhaps. She certainly has the insecurities that Miss Parker had," he said. "Not to mention the attitude." "And the high heels," Jarod pointed out, then grinned. Broots held it in for a moment, but the first giggle finally escaped. Once it did, there was nothing he could do to stop it. All he could do was hang onto his sides and trying to keep from making too much noise. Like Miss Parker, Agent Scully scared him, so he didn't want to do anything to piss her off. He managed to get himself back under control quickly. "You really think this is the one?" Broots asked, turning to Kincaid. He knew *he* thought it was, but... "Yep," Kincaid said, swallowing the mouthful he was chewing on. He scared Broots too, some of the time, with his leather and biker friends, but he had at least gone out of his way to be nice to Broots, which was more than he could say for Agent Scully. "Besides, if it isn't what we're looking for, maybe I can give Vincent some information on where he came from." His eyes went distant for a moment, as if he wasn't really there. "I owe him. Big time." >>>~~~<<< "So, what's our next step?" Mulder asked, flopping onto the bed. Alex had already checked the motel room to make sure that no one had broken in and bugged the place while they were out meeting with his contact. Well, Mulder hadn't actually *met* the man; just seen him from a distance. He hadn't been crazy about the man, although he couldn't quite put his finger on why. Alex obviously trusted him, as much as he trusted anyone, that is. He hadn't told Mulder about much about the man, other than that he was an information broker, one of the best in the business, and someone he'd known since he was in his teens. There was an interesting thought. Alex Krycek as a teen. Assuming that Krycek had even been his name. Suddenly Mulder was struck by just how little he really knew about his lover. Basically, nothing about his life before he'd been sent by the Consortium to tag Mulder. Mulder pushed those thoughts, and the doubts that came with them, out of his mind, concentrating instead on the man, Marco. Maybe it was just that fact that he'd been obviously wealthy -- you had to be to eat at that restaurant -- handsome and well-dressed. He also hadn't missed the way the man had been looking at Alex. For a brief instant, right there in the restaurant, he'd wanted to get up and go over to tell the man to forget it, Alex was *his*. Mulder snorted softly to himself. Imagine *him* being so damned possessive of Krycek. Only a couple of years ago he would have preferred killing the man to being around him. A couple of *months* ago he had barely tolerated him. Looking back, using his psychology training, he recognized the real reason for his strong feelings. Hurt. Betrayal. Desire. Suddenly he realized that Alex was staring at him with an expression of exasperation. "Sorry," he said. "I *said*," Alex said pointedly, "that we need to track down what Michaels is up to. That means finding one of his supporters in the Consortium, snatching him, and... convincing him to talk." The wolfish grin told Mulder just what 'convincing' would entail, and for a moment he balked. Then he remembered just what was happening in his country, and what Marco had hinted at, and he lost his sympathy for the man. "How do we grab someone close enough to Michaels to know what he's up to?" he asked finally, and was rewarded by a smile. "I have a few ideas," Alex said. "I know of two of his people that are deeply embedded in the underworld, too much so to sneak into the government, no matter how much covering up they do. That means Michaels can't protect them. One is in DC, the other is in Miami. Right now, getting too close to DC would be a bad idea." Mulder nodded, then groaned. "Another week in the saddle? Just great." His ass ached just thinking of it. Alex snickered. TO BE CONTINUED