November 8, 2001

You know, when I got up this morning, I knew it was going to be a bad day...this site has been closed down until further notice.

Earlier in October, my site was listed as the Awful Link of the Day at Something Awful (http://www.somethingawful.com) because of the homosexual content. (Oh no, homosexual content, what a travesty...) There was only a little damage done to my site - my bandwidth went through the roof, my e-mail address was subscribed to about a dozen porn lists, and my guestbook was filled with extremely vulgar and homophobic comments. Eventually, the visitors died down and all seemed to be going well...

For the past few weeks since the link was posted, I've been monitoring the visitors that are coming to the site, to see if the link has been posted anywhere else with more derogatory comments. A few weeks ago, I saw that one of the visitors had come from an IP address at lucasfilms.com. I realized at the time that this could end up being a bad thing, but I didn't think much of it until today.

When I went to check my mail today, I was told that I had a certified letter. After checking my mail, I discovered that it was a letter from Lucasfilms. Sure enough, I have been told that I must shut the JHA down. Here's a transcript of the letter:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: UNAUTHORIZED USE OF STAR WARS PROPERTIES

Dear Ms. Bischoff:

Lucasfilm and its affiliated entities (collectively "Lucasfilm") are the exclusive owners of all rights in and to the major motion pictures Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and any other STAR WARS film (the "STAR WARS Films"). Those motion pictures and the characters and elements related thereto, are protected by the copyright and trademark laws of the United States and other nations (the "STAR WARS Copyrights and Trademarks").

It has come to our attention that you are using one or more of STAR WARS Copyrights and Trademarks on your website, www.ktnb.net. Specifically, we refer to the various stories derived from the STAR WARS Films that you have posted on the "Jedi Hurtaholics Archive" page.

Your unauthorized use of STAR WARS Copyrights and Trademarks dilutes the distinctive quality of those marks, tarnishes the reputation of Lucasfilm and misappropriates our valuable assets.

We hereby demand that you and each and every person or company affiliated with you immediately and permanently discontinue the use of STAR WARS Copyrights and Trademarks and remove any and all stories derived from the STAR WARS Films including, without limitation, the content on the "Jedi Hurtaholics Archive" page from the website www.ktnb.net.

Unless we receive assurances that you have ceased to engage in the infringing conduct described above by the close of business on Friday, November 9, 2001 we will be forced to take further legal action. Nothing in this letter shall be construed as a waiver or relinquishment of any right or remedy possessed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or any other affected party, all of which rights and remedies are hereby expressly reserved.

Sincerely,

Lucasfilm Ltd., (Antipiracy)
Business Affairs

------------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh* So, the site has been shut down. If you have a link on your site, either to http://www.ktnb.net/jedi, https://www.squidge.org/~ktnb/jedi/, or http://members.dencity.com/knb/, please remove it until further notice.

I hope that posting this message and closing the site will be enough to appease Lucasfilms. If you have any advice or comments on this situation, please feel free to e-mail me.