Magnolia

by Westwind

July 2001


Duncan was up before dawn, bustling around in the kitchen. Adam could sleep awhile longer. He mixed up a recipe of sourdough and put the starter back in the crock for another day. Putting aside the bread to rise, he got a ham out of the larder and dressed it for dinner, then put it in the oven. It could come out when the bread had risen and was ready to go in. It was already cooked; it just needed to be heated to set the glaze. With the tomato chutney, and the pickles, and a big wheel of cheese, he thought that they would have enough to bring with them to the barn raising.

Duncan looked at his rapidly depleting larder. It felt hollow, somehow, not to plan for next year. Duncan knew that they would not be here to use the products he would produce. But he felt the need to plant, plan for the harvest, can, smoke, whatever. He laughed. What they didn't use the Hurley's would enjoy.

Adam had been working at the Hurley's for over a month. He could put his knowledge of post and beam architecture at Tom's disposal and not have to explain where the knowledge came from. Tom was their Watcher, after all. He had some knowledge of their past. He knew, for instance, that Duncan was four hundred and fifty years old, but he was wrong about Adam. Tom thought Adam was about two hundred and fifty years old. The Watchers had guessed his Immortality dated from about eighteen hundred. They seemed to think he was Benjamin Adams who, in eighteen and eight, was a doctor in New Orleans where he had dallied with Charlotte, Morgan Walker's slave.

Duncan heard a noise from the direction of Adam's bedroom. He went a few steps nearer and listened again. A low moan drifted out. Duncan went to the door of the bedroom. Adam had been having nightmares every night lately; he was very touchy about them. Duncan was torn between his own upset, because Adam was going to leave, and his need to comfort.

Adam was twisting in panic, but still asleep. He kept his arms to his sides as if they were tied. Duncan moved to the bed and sat down. He reached for Adam and took him into his arms. This was too much.

"Methos, wake up!" He leaned in to take Methos's hands in his. "Wake up, my love." He kissed Methos on the forehead. "Come on, love. Wake up. You're safe now." Duncan held Adam loosely to keep him from panicking.

Methos came slowly to consciousness. He put his arms around Duncan and tucked his head into Duncan's neck. Methos shook with his nameless fear. Wrapping his arms tightly around Methos, Duncan held him.

"I smell ham."

"I've got one in the oven browning. When it comes out the bread will go in the oven. Are you going to talk about this?"

"No."

"We will talk about it eventually." Duncan got up and walked to the door.

"I need to piss. You going to talk that to death too."

Duncan walked out of the room and into the kitchen. The snappishness hurt just a little, but was the result of Methos trying to throw him off the true cause of the nightmares. Duncan just wished there was something he could do to help.

He busied himself getting the ham out of the oven. It was slightly overdone, but that would be all right when it was cut. The loaves of bread were ready to go in when he heard the front door. As he walked toward the front, Duncan realized that it was Adam slipping out. As he came back to the kitchen, Duncan checked the hall rack to see if Adam had taken his coat.

Adam had not had muchlast night; he had been too tired. He and Tom had worked until nearly midnight getting the last timbers ready. Now, with no breakfast, Adam would be running on empty. If they had a telephone, he would call Serena and ask her to make sure Adam ate. Oh well.

Putting the bread in the oven, Duncan went to change his clothes. He knew Adam was troubled, but it seemed like more than just his leaving. Duncan did not like the idea that Adam would go south without him. The nightmares were bad and getting worse and Adam would not talk about what was bothering him. Duncan knew he couldn't understand all Methos's threads of thought; his age made him too different. Methos always took into account too many facts, some of them seemingly random, for Duncan to follow. Getting his work clothes on and taking his jacket, he stepped out onto the porch to do his katas.

Adam hunched in his coat as he walked through the woods back toward home; he was determined to apologize. He stopped and savored the picture of Duncan, oblivious to everything, moving through the kata. He watched Duncan for a few moments, his heart in his eyes, then moved closer, within sensing range. How beautiful Duncan was.

Duncan stopped and looked around him. He saw Adam standing at the edge of the woods, went down the porch steps and covered the ground between them.

"What if I can't do it anymore?" Duncan paused a minute, then gathered Adam into his arms. Adam was trembling, but he leaned into Duncan and put his arms around him. They kissed, then Adam drew back. "What if I can't do it alone? What if I've lost the ability to survive on my own?"

"I don't think you have. You've had a lot of experience at doing without me, five thousand years worth.

"I'm serious."

"I know you are. I'm sorry, Adam. I don't want you to go, but I know you have to. I'll do anything to help you. But I have to go back inside or the bread will burn." Duncan started to go into the house, pulling Adam with him. Duncan was shocked when he saw Josh standing outside the milking shed.

Josh's eyes were perfectly round and so was his mouth. "What is it, Josh?" Adam spoke first. Josh just shook his head and went back into the shed

Adam touched Duncan's face briefly and then turned to go through the woods to the Hurley's. Duncan went into the house and put oatmeal on the boil; that would do for breakfast. He checked the loaves of bread and decided that they needed a few more minutes. Then Duncan stood there and allowed himself to think about Josh and what he'd seen. Duncan would tell him the truth, just not all of it.

Josh came into the house a little hesitantly. He looked around as if seeing the kitchen for the first time. And he wouldn't look at Duncan. "Josh, we have oatmeal for breakfast. There's honey on the table."

Josh washed his hands and sat at the table. Duncan served him a generous bowl of oatmeal. He moved to the stove and took the bread out. Josh covered his oatmeal with honey and began to eat. He still had not spoken nor looked at Duncan.

Duncan looked at Josh with something like regret on his face. "Josh, Adam and I have been together for over twenty years. We've been through some difficult times together and we've become very close. He is finding it very hard to leave without me, but I'm going to finish the school year."

"Why can't Adam stay? Why can't you stay? I've never understood why you have to go." Josh was through with the oatmeal. He could smell the ham and the fresh baked bread and it looked like he wanted some.

How to say it so Josh could understand when the truth was so unbelievable; he and Adam had not aged at all in the ten years that they had been here. They had to get out now before the question of their age came up. He could see the wisdom of going now.

"Adam wants a warmer climate and I'm going where Adam goes." Short and to the point. "Now do the dishes and you can help me to carry this food over." Duncan turned the bread out and got towels to wrap the loaves in. There had to be enough food to feed the number of people who came to the barn raising. It was part of his nature to worry over the minutiae.

Josh took the water from the kettle and started the dishes. Duncan had a huge basket into which he piled the ham, cheese and the jars of chutney and pickles. "I'm going to make a trip over with this stuff. I'll be right back."

Duncan went through the woods and came up to the house. Serena met him and took the basket from him. "Adam was too tired to eat and we had a little fight this morning, so he didn't eat breakfast. I'd appreciate you seeing if you can get anything in him. He'll wear himself out this way."

"I already did that. He ate with Tom. Thank you so much, Duncan, for everything. Without Adam's help, we wouldn't have been able to build a barn like this one. There's Josh now with the bread. We'll eat our first meal at ten. Come on in now and have some bread fresh from the oven. You need to eat, too. Here, put the basket down on the trestle. Josh, you too, then go to your father. Come on in and get warm. It's still cold but I think it will be a clear day all day long, just perfect for a barn-raising."

Serena turn around to Josh who was standing there looking at the ham. "Josh, you've already eaten with us and with Duncan, go find your father now! No ham!" Having been as forceful as she was capable of being, she ushered Duncan in the house to see the kittens. Maxie, the kittens' mother, occupied a special place in the household since she survived the barn burning down.

Josh left the ham with considerable reluctance. He was afraid that when it came time to eat, everyone else would want that ham too. He knew where his father was. He was with Adam getting the timbers laid out in the order that they would be needed. Two of his brothers, Phillip and Little Tom, were with them to help with the lifting. If he was lucky, everything would be finished. He had worked hard enough digging, then laying the foundations.

Adam stood back and looked at the work site as Josh came up and went to his father. He would need to speak to Josh about what he had seen this morning, but first he would have to hear what Duncan had said to him. Adam knew it would be the truth; but there were different versions of the truth, a fact that Duncan found difficult to accept.

More people were starting to arrive. All the surrounding farmers would be here and some of the townspeople. Duncan joined him with a suspicious lump in the front of his coat. Adam grinned when the lump started to move upwards. In just a minute, he saw a black ear appear at Duncan's neckline.

Duncan grinned at him a little sheepishly, then opened his coat and let the kitten out. "You haven't thought of a name yet, have you? She wonders who she is." The kitten, with perfect trust, nestled against Duncan for warmth.

"We're going south. What about Magnolia? We can call her Maggie." The kitten looked at Adam and mewed. "I guess she likes it." He reached over and scratched behind her ears.

"Maggie." The kitten mewed. "I like that. What are you going to call the Himalayan?" Tom walked up and the kitten clawed to get back inside the coat.

"Don't be scared, little girl. She's such a fraidy cat." Tom reached his hand out and the kitten hissed. He laughed at the tiny kitten, who promptly disappeared into the coat. "She certainly knows who she belongs to."

Duncan cradled the kitten against his chest. Adam said, "We've decided to call her Maggie." Duncan's chest eeped. Adam laughed. With twinkling eyes he said, "I think the other one will be Lily. It's a little bit oriental. She's so placid while this one is a bit of a spitfire."

"I'll take Maggie back in the house. I'll be back to help you in a minute." Duncan got to the house as Addie was coming out. She waved at him, then skipped on down the path. Duncan went in and walked into the bedroom. The box where Maxine and the kittens slept had been moved there for the barn-raising. Duncan put Maggie down, petted her just a bit, then he counted noses and shut the door.

Duncan was in the kitchen on the way out when Serena stopped him. "Are all of the cats out of harm's way?"

"Yes. Serena, Josh is going to need to talk to you and Tom about something that happened this morning. Adam and I had an argument and he walked out. Josh saw the embrace that ended it. I know that Adam told Tom what our relationship really was. I figured Tom told you. I wouldn't have had Josh see that for anything."

"Yes, Tom told me like he told me that you were Immortal. You know, I had always wondered about you two. But it doesn't matter to me. I'll wait for Josh to bring it up. Don't worry about it, Duncan. Most likely he'll have forgotten about it. Teenagers are very self-centered--always thinking of themselves. They don't see beyond the nose on their faces." Serena patted him on the shoulder then went on in the kitchen.

After nearly four hundred and fifty years, he really didn't remember his own years as a teenager that well, but he knew he would have asked. Shaking his head, Duncan went on out to the site of the barn. The foundation had been built weeks before when it happened to be warmer. Now the timbers were laid out like the building had exploded. Adam would have all of the pieces organized in that brain of his.

The first lift would be the hardest. That's why they had started in the middle, so that they could lift from each side over the standing timbers. Duncan looked for Adam in the milling crowd.

Adam saw Duncan at the edge of the work area and went over to him. He put his arm around Duncan's shoulders and squeezed. He had spent his time organizing the workers into two groups--one to pull the first timber up with ropes, the other to push from the other side with poles. The first timber was all assembled and in position to lift.

"Is everybody ready? Then let's go. Everyone who is pulling--PULL. The rest of you get ready to put braces under the timber." Gradually with much creaking and groaning, the timber rose against the stops in the foundation. The pole crew was at the edge of their strength when, with a rush, the timber thudded home in the holes in the foundation. Everyone cheered.

Adam went around congratulating each group. "One down and forty to go! Let's get some of you to help put the pieces of the next few together. The rest of you can continue with the lifting and the bracing. Let's go." He bustled about with encouragement and pointed advice.

Duncan went to help the men on the ropes. The work became routine. By the time they broke at ten o'clock they had set four big timbers and put two more together. As the crews came into the farm yard to eat a first meal, they were happy and energized by what they had accomplished.

The plan for today was to set all the timbers, then tomorrow start to sheathe the building. The Hurleys would be left with the finishing work. That would be a small price to pay for the finished framework. If the weather held for two days, they would be well on their way to having a masterpiece of a barn.

As the work went, on the ropes used to pull the timbers up were stretching under the strain of what they were being asked to do. Suddenly, with a groan, one of the ropes broke. It flew back over the timber and hit Adam with a pop. He fell as the rope swung wildly. Duncan called Adam's name as he ran toward him. Duncan fell to his knees and reached out his hand to touch his face. Adam's head was bent at an angle that probably meant that his neck was broken. Duncan froze, not able to think.

Tom Hurley took charge. Duncan could hear Tom say, "Get that board over here. We have to get him into the house. Duncan, you have to let go. Lift him just enough, boys, to get him on the board. Move back, Duncan." Tom used both hands to hold Adam's head steady as they slid him onto the board.

Six men lifted Adam on the board and started toward the house. Duncan followed behind. Adam was dead now, of course, but he would live again. How they were going to explain this to the ones who had been up close was beyond Duncan right now. They took him in the house and set the board down.

"I want you to check every inch of those ropes. If there is any question about any part of them, throw it away. Take the time you need to examine them. Why don't you divide into teams and have a tug of war with each one? That'll give you some idea of which ones will break. We'll come tell you about Adam." Tom ushered them out then closed the door.

Turning to Josh he said, "Run get a horse saddled and ride for the doctor. The rest of you children go on outside; you're just in the way in here. Go on. We'll let you know how things are going." He held the door for them.

"Now, Duncan, how is he. Really. I know you come back to life. Will he?" Tom was pleading with Duncan.

"Let me look. Yes, he'll be back. I just don't know how long it'll be. His neck is broken; I think he died instantly." Duncan looked up at Tom and Serena. They looked very scared, but a little hopeful.

Duncan thought that it was lucky the Hurleys didn't have any experience with Immortals coming back from death. Adam was going to make a lightening recovery because of his age. Duncan reached forward and straightened Adam's head on his shoulders. The bones made an audible crack as they mended.

Serena came forward and knelt beside Duncan. She reached out and put her hand on his. "You're Catholic, aren't you? Duncan nodded. "And so is Adam?" Duncan nodded again. "Do you say a prayer now? I'd like to pray. Will you pray with me?"

Duncan's equilibrium was tenuous at best, but that upset it. Tears welled up in his eyes and ran down his cheeks. But he bowed his head and prayed. Serena put her hands together and began to pray silently. After a minute, Tom came and knelt down on the other side of the body. Duncan knew that Adam's reaction when he woke would be laughter, but he refused to break the mood. Duncan knew it was partially hysteria, but he continued to kneel and made every attempt to swallow his mirth.

It took about half an hour when, with a groan, Adam came back. Duncan caught his hands and squeezed them. Adam tried to sit up. Duncan moved to sit beside him and hold him. Adam shuddered with the pain of renewed circulation, but now that he was aware, he made no noise.

The doctor burst in to find Adam sitting up and leaning against Duncan. Tom was just getting up, "False alarm, Everett." Josh came in right behind him, looking at Adam with relief.

"Let me look at you." Coming over to Adam, the doctor got his stethoscope out and held it to his chest. "Follow my finger. Does your head hurt?" Adam nodded. "Are you dizzy?" Adam nodded again. Looking at Duncan, he said, "Take him home and keep him up and talking for a few hours. I'll check on him tomorrow. Now I've got to get back to the Brewster birth. Good bye." He left without a backward glance.

Adam laughed. "I didn't see it coming. It was the rope? My head really hurts." Adam put his head on Duncan's shoulder and sighed.

"I guess I'd better go and explain what I can to the guys. Josh, come on. We've got a lot of work to do. Adam and Duncan are going home. Do you need a couple of horses?" Tom was going out the door, but turned around to hear the answer.

Duncan waited for Adam to answer. "I think the walk will do me good. Thanks anyway. And thank you for getting everyone away." Duncan got up and helped Adam up. Adam gave a deep, shuddering sigh and leaned against Duncan. Duncan put his arm around Adam and began to walk him toward the door.

The door opened suddenly to a crowd of people. "I thought you were dead, man." "How do you feel, Adam." "It's good to see you on your feet." Duncan steered Adam out the door and down the path. The crowd parted before them with some of the people reaching out to touch Adam.

Duncan had one arm around his shoulder and the other in front, holding his arm securely. They walked slowly through the woods. Josh came running up behind them. "Dad sent me to help you get in the house." He took Adam's other arm over his shoulder and they walked on through the woods.

When they got to the house and moved onto the porch, Josh held Adam while Duncan got the door. Duncan got Adam into the kitchen chair, while Josh knelt down and rebuilt the fire. Duncan had put the kettle on for tea and turned to look at Adam where he sat by the fire. He really did look ill. "Josh, I think you need to go back to your father. He's going to need all the help he can get to finish today. Thank you, Josh, for everything."

"Is there anything you need before I leave? I'm going to look after the animals before I go back. I'll be around a little while if you need anything." Josh went out the door

Locking the door, Duncan turned to Adam. "You look like you don't feel well. You're not that good of an actor. What is it? Is something else wrong?" Duncan moved toward Adam and crouched down beside him.

"I'm just thoroughly nauseated. I'll be all right; you know we're always all right." Adam sighed and slouched lower in his chair. "I need to sleep a little. Never mind what Everett said." Duncan covered him with a quilt and sat down at the kitchen table. He was exhausted with worry. He could watch Adam from here.

A light knock on the door woke both of them. Duncan went to the door to let Josh in and found Josh and his father, Tom. "May we come in a minute? I just want to check on Adam. How is he?"

"I'm fine, Tom." Adam's voice was low and filled with pain. "Right now everything hurts." He was showing a large bruise on his neck. "It will take time, but I'll be fine." He stretched a little and winced when it caused more pain. "Thanks for coming by. I think I'll lie down now if Duncan will help me? How did the rest of the day go?" Adam stood up very slowly, and Duncan hurried to get his hands on him.

Tom had moved forward when Adam got up but stopped when Duncan supported him. "After the guys tested the ropes, we got about twenty more timbers in place. I think we'll finish tomorrow if the weather holds. We'll go on back. Hope you feel better. I'll check on you tomorrow morning; everyone is waiting on word. I'll tell them you're sore but better. And Josh has something to give you." He stepped back and looked at Josh.

Josh had something bundled up in his coat. He stepped forward and opened it a little to show two kittens sound asleep with their arms around each other. "Mama said that you needed something to make you feel better. They're a little young yet, but Mama said that Adam knows what to do for them. The litter box is outside on the porch. I'll bring it in before we go."

Duncan reached for the kittens, a foolish grin on his face. He picked one up in each hand and turned to Adam. The kittens were waking up and stretching their tiny limbs out as far as they could go.

Adam took Lily in his hands and brought her up to his face. Everyone could hear her purring. He kissed her and snuggled her into his shirt. Then he turned back and gingerly sat in the chair.

Duncan tried to kiss Maggie but she wiggled and squirmed and cried to get down. Duncan laughed as he let Maggie go. Lily was still snuggled up to Adam, while Maggie was running around in the kitchen. It reminded him of something.

"I see that Serena had the right idea. Those two were just what you needed. Come on, Josh. Let's go home. Get that litter box in here. Good night." Tom went with Josh down the back steps.

Duncan watched until the Hurleys were out of sight then locked the door. He looked around for Maggie and found her sitting under the chair playing with Adam's shirttail. Duncan sat on the floor and waved the shirttail back and forth. The baby's eyes flashed and sparkled as she chased the tail.

Lily climbed Adam's shoulder to see what the excitement was all about. "They're going to need to eat every few hours. Maxine had almost gotten them weaned, but they're still on their baby schedule. They need a box to sleep in with something warm inside to cuddle up to; put the box by the fire, Duncan."

Adam sighed. He was growing less dizzy by the minute but there were still sudden shafts of pain. Adam felt old and fragile. Tomorrow he'd feel like himself, but he had to live through tonight. Duncan bustled around getting a box that had once held jars of canned beans. He brought it to the fire and put a couple of clean cup towels inside for the babies to use. Duncan got the litter box and brought it over to the side of the hearth. Maggie bustled over, and got inside, and used it. Lily had gotten down on the floor and was waiting her turn.

"What should I fix them to eat, Adam."

"A bowl of milk, for now. In the morning you can fix them some cooked meat chopped fine, mixed with some oatmeal. They'll eat just a tiny bit for now, but they'll need to eat often. It's going to be a lot of work but it's going to be worth it." Adam was restless with pain.

Duncan got a bowl out and filled it with milk. "Here kitty, kitty." He was beaming when the two babies came running. Putting the bowl down on the floor, he left them lapping. Duncan walked over to Adam and put his hands on Adam's shoulders. "Let's see if I can help you to bed." Duncan got his arm under Adam's shoulder and began to move him toward the bedroom.

Adam laughed a little. "I'm not quite as sore as I pretended. It's nice having you this close, but I can walk without help."

"Let me stay close for a little while. I'm still frightened. That was too close. You could have been beheaded." Duncan urged Adam toward the bedroom.

"That's always scared me--that I would die forever and not have any warning, no time to prepare." Adam shuddered. They came into Adam's bedroom. Duncan helped Adam take his clothes off and put a nightshirt on. He was beautiful, but now was not the time. Helping Adam into bed, Duncan pulled the covers up and leaned in to kiss him goodnight. Adam murmured sleepily.

Going back into the kitchen, he was confronted by two kittens that had never been alone in their life. Now they were in a strange place without Maxine or anything familiar. They threw themselves at Duncan with mews of real distress. He sat on the floor and called softly to the kittens. They came immediately and climbed up onto his lap. Petting them gently, he settled Maggie and Lily down and, in a few minutes, they began to wash.

They gradually fell asleep, lying in his lap. Duncan didn't know whether he would wake them or not, but he had to get up and go to Methos. He picked up Maggie and laid her in the box; she smacked a little but stayed asleep. Lily woke up when Duncan touched her; he was not her master, after all. He took a little time to pet and soothe her, then put Lily in the box with her sister. Duncan looked at them a minute. He had to persuade Adam to let Maggie stay; she'd be company for him as Lily would be for Adam.

Duncan got to his feet and checked their milk bowl and the litter box. Both would do until the morning. He went on down the hall and looked in on Adam. He was restless with the pain of healing. Duncan walked in and sat on the side of the bed; he reached out and put a hand against Adam's cheek.

"Can you stand to have me lie down beside you?" Duncan asked softly.

Adam smiled a little and moved over. He groaned. "I'm so stiff. I probably should be up and moving around but I can't seem to gather the energy." He sighed "Please hold me. But be careful; I hurt all over. You'd think that just my neck would hurt, wouldn't you?"

Duncan lay down and gathered Adam gently into his arms. He kissed the dark hair and tucked Adam's head into his neck. He tried to snuggle closer but Adam stiffened and moaned. "I'm so sorry. Will you move until you're comfortable for me? I don't want to hurt you." Duncan loosed his arms and went still.

Adam moved a little, then said, "Nothing is comfortable. Hold me. It will only hurt at first. I need you close."

Duncan was quite willing to snuggle; he began, very gingerly, to pull Adam closer. With a muffled groan or two, they managed to get comfortable. Adam fell into a restless sleep. Duncan lay awake rubbing him gently; he was so thankful for Adam. That he had survived the broken neck, yes, but that he was here with Duncan when he could have been anywhere else was the miracle.

Thinking back over the last fifty years, Duncan knew that Adam's guile and his superior intelligence had made everything they had today possible. He drifted off to sleep thinking of times past.

The morning light was just showing. Duncan sat with Adam's head in his lap. It had almost all come undone in an instant. Duncan was still frightened. His hands drifted to Methos' hair, dark and soft. Duncan began to gradually rub circles onto Adam's back. Adam came awake and smiled up at his lover.

Duncan took Adam into his arms and held him. He felt such a mix of love and lust, he had to be careful not to just explode. His hands were busy rubbing Methos' back. Methos put his hands on Duncan's chest under his shirt and began to tweak his nipples. Duncan wanted this time to be slow and thoughtful. He laughed to himself at the thought--it always seemed to end up a devastation.

Methos' hands slowly stilled as Duncan undressed him. It was the work of an instant more until Duncan was naked too. Duncan nuzzled Adam's neck then began to worship him with his mouth. Down his chest sucking on each nipple a quick dive into his navel, tasting his precum, he moved back up his belly. He paused to taste Methos' left nipple; it was Duncan's favorite because it was the one over his heart.

Then Duncan began to kiss Methos--long sweetness-drugged kisses. Duncan felt him begin to writhe. Duncan reached down and opened his fly and brought their two penises together. Gradually he began to move, keeping an easy, steady pace. As Methos moved more and more urgently against Duncan, suddenly, to Duncan's surprise, Methos came. Duncan tried to disengage and let him go but Methos's hand closed over Duncan's, and he kept moving until Duncan came too.

Duncan got a towel and cleaned them both up. Putting his arms around Adam, Duncan snuggled down to rest for a few more minutes. Adam kissed him, then, with a sigh, settled down to sleep.

Duncan opened his eyes. He smiled at the picture that his lover made in the early morning light. Adam was asleep with his legs tangled with Duncan's. Methos slept with loose-limbed grace. The morning light highlighted his cheekbones and his nose. Duncan kissed it. "Good morning, Methos. How do you feel? I've got to get up and feed the kittens. Why don't you sleep awhile longer?" Duncan was petting Methos as he spoke.

"I'm fine. I'll get up and show you. And, Duncan, I'm not one of the kittens." Adam laughed. He got out of bed and stretched to his full height. The dawn light came in the window and highlighted his pale skin. Duncan gasped as Adam turned toward him. Adam was perfect.

"Now who's staying in bed?" Adam smiled at Duncan, a twinkle in his eyes. He put his longjohns on, then moved toward the bathroom to shave.

Duncan swung up and out of bed; he pulled his pants on and shivered. It was cold. Duncan pulled on the rest of his clothes then hurried into the kitchen to build up the fire. Adam needed to stay warm. He stopped at the door of the kitchen. The kittens had apparently been awake for some time. They had entertained themselves by getting into every box and container they could reach. There was flour turned over onto the floor and the sugar container was balanced precariously on the edge of the shelf.

He must have made some sound, because Adam came into the room and started to laugh. The kittens, meanwhile, had started to mew and were standing on Duncan's feet to hurry the milk up. Adam was now laughing so hard that he was crying. He managed to gasp, "Milk." Adam came and got the two heathens and sat down.

"It'll take a minute to heat." Duncan got busy and stirred up the fire in the stove and then poured the milk into a pan. Maggie launched herself from Adam's lap, yelling her desire for milk! Now!

"I don't know why you have the well behaved one." Lily was sitting in Adam's lap, looking like a little princess. Duncan bent down and picked Maggie up, then turned to find a bowl. He took bowl, pan and kitten over to the hearth. Adam put Lily down and moved to build up the fire. She scampered over to have a drink.

With the kittens drinking their milk, Duncan could turn his attention to breakfast. Adam came up to the stove and put a pan of water on to boil. "I'll fix their meat for them. They'll be happy with the milk. You know, we can put some bread in a bowl of warm milk for them. It'll give them something to chew." Duncan took a slice of bread and a saucer over to the kittens and fixed them their treat. They growled at each other. "They had better have two saucers." Adam said ruefully and put a slice of beef in the boiling water.

Duncan pulled out one of the kitchen chairs from the table and said, "Sit here. I know you're all right but I need to take care of you to make me feel better. What do you want for breakfast? You have to be hungry." Duncan came over and stood between Adam's legs and took his hands.

"How about biscuits? Eggs and ham and hash-browns and bacon and..." Duncan whapped him on the head. "Owww! Is that the way you treat a wounded man? And you're just standing there. Where's the cook in this outfit?" Adam was laughing.

Duncan was so happy to see the old Adam back, if just for a little while. A knock at the door interrupted them. Duncan went to the door and unlocked it to find Tom Hurley and his son Josh. "Come in. We were just discussing what to have for breakfast. I know that Josh will vote for ham so we'll definitely put that on the menu. What about you, Tom?"

"I came to see about Adam."

"I'm fine, Tom. Why don't you and Josh stay for breakfast?" Adam was playing with the kittens with a length of kindling.

"Josh will stay, I know. I've got to get back. Glad you're feeling better, Adam. Take it easy today, you here." Tom left with a quick, "Good bye."

Duncan, meanwhile, was getting a little of everything out and starting breakfast. Josh was watching every step with hunger in his eyes. Not taking his gaze off what Duncan was doing, he said to Adam, "How come Duncan does all the cooking. You never seem to take a turn."

Duncan turned around and looked at Adam with one eyebrow raised. Adam laughed, then said, "Duncan likes to cook. He really likes to take care of people, me in particular. So I let him." Adam looked very smug.

"Do you like to take care of him, Duncan?"

"Josh, yes, I do. But Adam is teasing you a little. You've seen us for a number of years. Don't you think that we divide the responsibilities evenly?" He turned and put the biscuits in the oven. "They'll be ready in twenty minutes." He turned back to see Josh looking at the oven, then up at Duncan with bewilderment his face. "What is it, Josh?"

Adam had been watching Duncan's discomfiture with twinkling eyes, but now he had to intervene. "Josh, you see cooking as women's work, yes?" Josh nodded. "When two men live together, who's going to cook? It might as well be the one who enjoys it. Think about it."

Josh looked unconvinced still. Picking up Lily, Adam moved to one of the kitchen chairs. Maggie trailed along behind; she was too independent to allow being picked up, but she wanted to go with them. "What is it, Josh? You're not asking the real question, are you?"

"What about yesterday morning?" Josh was embarrassed but determined. "You hugged. And, Duncan, you were kissing Adam." There was real distress in his face. "Uh, what... I mean...oh well...

Duncan took pity on him. "What exactly did you see, Josh?"

"You kissed him. And he kissed you back. Does that mean you're gay? Mama and Dad don't know, do they?" Josh had lost the ability to look at them.

"Your mother and your father do know, Josh." Duncan came and sat at the kitchen table. "Adam is better with words than I am, but let me try. You can't tell your heart where to love. We knew each other as friends for a long time. Gradually we fell in love. I wouldn't live any other way or with anyone else. You have to understand that." Duncan got up to check the biscuits and to hide the tears in his eyes.

"But you never tried to recruit me. Why not?" Josh was genuinely puzzled.

Adam swallowed a laugh. It wouldn't do to laugh at the boy now. "We've never recruited anyone. Yes, there are sick, twisted people in every group, some of whom prey on children. But all I want is Duncan, period. We're the most monogamous pair you are likely to meet, male or female and any combination of the two."

Maggie surprised Adam by climbing up his pants leg. She felt the tension in the room and intended to do something about it, though she didn't know what. Maggie walked over Adam's lap and started to lick Lily's ear. That would have to do; she wasn't brave enough to do more.

Adam was busy with the two kittens while Duncan removed the biscuits from the oven. Josh was left alone to think about the answers he had just heard. He knew Adam and Duncan very well, having grown up with them as neighbors. Unknowingly, Josh was influenced by his stomach as he watched Duncan slice ham onto a plate. He decided that the whole subject should be dropped in favor of satisfying his hunger and getting some of that delicious ham. "Let's eat." Josh went to the sink to wash up.

Adam put the kittens on the chair and went to wash his hands. As he passed Duncan, Adam kissed him on the lips. There was no reaction at all from Josh. Duncan reached out and hugged Adam then let go and turned to get the honey.

They all sat down at the table and Duncan started to say the blessing.

"Mama said that you were Catholic; I didn't know that you said the blessing, but I guess you do." He was already serving himself a generous portion of the ham. "Pass the biscuits, please." Josh's sunny nature reasserted itself.

"Let Duncan say the blessing, knucklehead." Adam thumped Josh on the head. Josh looked up and grinned.

Finis.

Navigation

Font size