The Place of Our Legacy


Submissions FAQ


What is a beta reader and what do they do?

A beta reader is essentially an editor. Their purpose, should you choose to use one, is to basically edit your drafts and/or finished story and check it for errors. They can provide a variety of uses, from general editor, to spell checker, to plot nitpicker, to general sounding board about ideas (or any rants you may have). *smile* God knows, as an author myself, I've needed my betas quite a few times. Using a beta reader is not compulsory, but if you want your work to be it's very best, then it's generally a good idea to run it by a beta just to see what they say.

This site offers a list of available beta readers for your use if you're having trouble with your story and/or finding help. There are separate lists for Stargate Fanfiction betas, and Star Wars Fanfiction betas. Simply click on the link to see the list.


Why do I need to fill all of the fields in?

The fields need to be filled in or the story isn't archived - it's as simple as that. I will sometimes make exceptions to the rule (for instance, if I see a story on a mailing list I would like to archive but doesn't contain all the information), however, if you are submitting your story via the site, then you must include all the information I need. They are all required fields. However, if your story doesn't relate to one of them (e.g. 'Season/Sequel info') write "none".


Why do I need ratings and what do they entail?

You need ratings because there are some people who avoid certain rated stories. For example, some people don't like to read stories with adult themes, which are generally rated NC-17 or R. Below is a guide for you to go by in rating your story.

Ratings are pretty much based on American TV or movie standards - give your story the rating you think it would receive if it were to be shown on TV in the US (oh how we all wish!!)  *grin*


Do you accept NC-17 rated stories? Do you accept adult content?

We certainly do! There was a bit of uncertainty while the site was still on xoom, because their policies mentioned 'adult content', but didn't really define it. However, there's no problem now that the site's based at Squidge. If you have an NC-17 story, or a story with adult content with a strong R rating, send it on over! *smile*


What are the categories? What do some of them mean?

Categories are the genre, if you will, of the story you've written. And many of the categories are the same as what movies are - action/adventure, romance, comedy, drama, etc. (There's a reasonably full listing of categories on either of the submission forms.) Some of the categories more commonly asked about are ABH's, PWP's, smarm and AU's.

It may also be a good idea to note that your story does not have to have just one category. As with many movies I've seen, it could be placed into many different categories. So, if you think your story has a good mix of humour, drama and angst, then use all three as your categories. *smile*


I'm still a bit confused - what do I write in regards to 'pairing'?

The pairing category is for romance and/or slash pieces. You need to indicate whether it is a male/female pairing (ie het), or (if it's slash) male/male or female/female. You also need to name who is paired. For instance, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (slash), or Obi-Wan and Amidala (het). If it is a romance piece with an original character, or a minor character from the the same universe as the show/movie, use 'other'.

I'll give an example of what you might write.

To confuse you a little further *grin* the original/minor character will be indicated on the story index pages by 'other'.

I do hope this isn't too confusing, but please contact me if you need me to explain it further. *smile*


Is there somewhere else I can archive my slash fiction?

Yes, there are a few sites out there which I would most definitely recommend if you are looking for somewhere else to archive your slash.

For SG-1 slash:

For Star Wars slash:


What's the deal with actorfic? Is it really that bad?

Okay, let's see if I can clarify this, considering I've only had a little experience with it. Actorfic is when a person writes a piece of fiction, but rather than using characters, they use actors, generally the ones who play the character. Now, granted, there are sites out there that do accept actorfic, and good for them, but this site is not one of them. I've heard some horror stories about what can happen to the archive, archivist and author if lawyers and such find out, and believe me, that's something I'd like to avoid. So, I've put a strict "No actorfic" policy on The Place of Our Legacy. Actorfic is not necessarily 'bad', but I asked myself (and I urge some of you to ask yourselves) this: How would you feel if the actor you were writing about happened upon the story and read it?


If you still have any questions regarding submitting your story, send me an e-mail at tpool@unbounded.com.


   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||