THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF COOKING

by:  Seven O'Nine
Feedback to:  jsolinas@erols.com

Author's Notes: Inspired by Luke's dinner with Yoda and my own sometimes catastrophic attempts to cook.



DISCLAIMER: Star Wars and all publicly recognisable characters, names and references, etc are the sole property of George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd, Lucasarts Inc and 20th Century Fox.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are walking through the Temple. Qui-Gon looks mildly depressed, while Obi-Wan seems extremely chipper.

OBI-WAN: Master, have you ever tasted Master Yoda's cooking before?

QUI-GON: Oh, yes. Most of the time I was his padawan.

OBI-WAN: What's it like?

QUI-GON: Unique.

Obi-Wan starts to say more, but a glint in Qui-Gon's eye silences him. The two Jedi stop at one door and ring a chime. Yoda can be heard from inside

YODA: Come in!

The door opens, and the two step inside, looking around at the rather muggily misty air around them. Yoda emerges from the kitchen. He is wearing a tall chef's hat, apron, and wielding a wooden spoon in each hand.

YODA: Early you are, hmm.

QUI-GON: Sorry, Master Yoda. We got a little tied up at-

YODA: Time for Jedi to eat too, hmm? (chuckles)

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sit down at the very, very low table, and watch as Yoda carries a huge, steaming pot in, as if hefting a boulder. Qui-Gon starts to get up.

QUI-GON: Let me help you, Master.

YODA: Need help I do not! Not that old I am.

OBI-WAN: How old ARE you exactly?

Qui-Gon gives his apprentice a gentle whap.

YODA: Old enough.

Yoda sets down the pot and starts to ladle a thick brown soup into the bowls. Qui-Gon starts eating immediately, but Obi-Wan stares at it. Yoda limps into the kitchen again.

OBI-WAN: Master...

QUI-GON: (muffled) Yes?

YODA: (from kitchen) Talking with your mouth full, you are!

Qui-Gon flushes and swallows hard.

OBI-WAN: I think... my soup just winked at me.

QUI-GON: Don't look at it. Just eat it.

OBI-WAN: I'm supposed to put that in my stomach?

QUI-GON: Yes.

OBI-WAN: But I'm too young to die!

QUI-GON: Die, my foot. I survived on Yoda's cooking for eleven years, so I think that eating it once won't scar you for life.

OBI-WAN: What if I DO die?

QUI-GON: (smiling) Then I'll have been wrong.

Obi-Wan sighs and takes a hesitant sip of the soup. His eyes widen.

OBI-WAN: It's not that bad!

Yoda enters with a plate of muffins and greenish jelly.

YODA: Like it, you do? Wonderful spicy flavor, the spider-bats have.

Obi-Wan chokes and almost falls face-down on the table. Qui-Gon gives him a compassionate pat on the shoulder, as Yoda smiles and winks, handing him the plate of muffins.


Later, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon emerge from Yoda's room. Qui-Gon is grinning from ear to ear, while Obi-Wan looks slightly nauseous.

OBI-WAN: I don't know if I could have eaten spider-bats for all those years...

QUI-GON: (amused) You didn't even eat one, Obi-Wan. Yoda's plant did—the first time it's ever gotten such treatment, I'll bet.

Obi-Wan blushes.

OBI-WAN: You saw that?

Inside Yoda's room, the little green chef laughs to himself and eats a chocolate muffin, playing with a box for bean soup. Next to him, a bowl of the "spider-bat soup" is cooling.

YODA: Have the last laugh, I do!


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||