WINDOWS AND WALLS: Part 1

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Hang in there, Danny. We should be there soon."

Daniel nodded at the words, but Jack wondered if the younger man really heard him. Daniel seemed to be directing all of his attention towards putting one foot in front of the other.

'The kid never ceases to amaze me...' Jack thought.

Two days before they had been pulling Daniel on a travois because he lacked the strength to stand, much less walk. Jack remembered the argument Daniel had put up over the travois idea. In the end Jack had won, but as soon as Daniel had been able to walk without assistance the travois had been returned to its former status as a tent.

'Stubborn doesn't begin to cover it...' Jack mused; half in consternation, half in bemused admiration.

Jack was still having trouble sorting out the events of Daniel's strange illness; the alien venom that had broken down all mental barriers between Jack and the man he had thought he knew so well. In the later stages of the illness, Daniel had become lost within his own terrifying memories and it had been left to Jack to save his friend's mind...and his life.

In many ways, Jack had been shocked by what he had discovered while sharing thoughts with Daniel. It was one thing to know Daniel was the genius that everyone purported him to be...it was quite another to experience that brilliant, intuitive mind firsthand. It still made Jack dizzy to recall the lightning speed at which Daniel's mind operated...and it bothered Jack more than he would ever admit to realize that he didn't understand much of what went on in there.

Jack could feel the anger boiling inside him even now as he recalled other experiences he had unwillingly been privy to inside Daniel's head. No one person should have to deal with so much grief in a single lifetime...

'The kid is just such a ...good guy.' Jack thought with a quiet snort. 'One of those annoying people who just wants to see everybody get a happy ending...even if it means giving up his own.' Jack knew that some people considered that very naive, but some people just didn't know Daniel...

An unfamiliar wave of sympathy swept through Jack. He'd been brought up to believe that the scales of life balanced out in the long run. Given the tragic events of his own life, he wasn't sure what he believed in anymore. What he did know was that, somehow...someday, Daniel had more than earned the chance at something good.

As they neared the top of the rise, Carter called out that they were almost there. Jack breathed a deep sigh of relief. Between their four canteens, they might have had a pint of water. They had used the last of their MRE's for breakfast. The river was their best chance of surviving until Daniel could decipher the symbols in the stone structure Carter and Teal'c had found three days ago. Hopefully the writing would provide a clue to the disappearance of the Stargate.

'If Daniel can decipher it,' Jack thought with his usual pessimism, then he remembered the vast knowledge his young friend possessed, the intensive drive that even now shocked him...he'd always known Daniel was single-minded, almost to the point of obsession, but he'd barely seen the surface of Daniel's incredible 'quest' to learn all it was possible to know...

'Daniel will do it,' Jack affirmed to himself. 'He's got to...he's the only game in town.'

The 'only game in town' gasped a little as he stumbled once again on one of the multitude of sharp, volcanic rocks that seemed to make up the entire surface of P3J050. Jack reached out a hand to steady Daniel and received a small smile in return. Jack took the opportunity to check Daniel's temperature once again and smiled himself at the fact that Daniel didn't bite off his head...or his hand...at the paternal gesture. Daniel usually did not react well to what he termed Jack's 'mothering.'

As they crested the ridge, Jack felt a surge of hope for the first time since they had arrived through the Stargate. Below them stretched a green fertile valley, so incongruous to everything they had seen so far. A small forest skirted a small, winding river at the base of snow-capped mountains.

Jack reached out to stop Daniel, who had once again been walking with closed eyes.

"We're here, Danny..." He said gently.

Daniel opened his eyes, looking out over the valley, swaying a little now that he had stopped moving. Jack put out a hand raising his eyebrow in a question. Daniel started to shake his head at the offer of help, then sighed and nodded. Jack readjusted his weapon and slipped an arm under Daniel's shoulder, allowing him to lean a little of his weight on Jack.

Carter looked over in concern making a gesture as if to ask if the colonel needed assistance, but Jack shook his head. It was better not to make a big deal of it. It was just as hard for Daniel to ask for and accept help as it was for Jack. That self-reli ant streak was something common to both men; it was the source that was different. Jack had learned to count on himself over years as a tough city kid and later as a covert operative in the military. Daniel's independence came from necessity...he had never had anyone else to rely on.

As they approached the river, Jack scouted visually for a likely campsite, finally settling on a defensible spot near the stone structure and the river. Jack helped Daniel to the ground up next to a tree. Daniel nodded gratitude, but didn't open his eyes. As Jack moved to help the others set up camp, he motioned for Carter to check out Daniel.

After the tents were set up and the necessary gear unpacked, Jack broke out the fishing line and hooks from the survival gear. Motioning for Teal'c to grab the canteens, they headed for the river. Jack spent a few minutes showing Teal'c how to set up a tr ot line, which Teal'c dubbed a "most efficient way to capture fish."

When Tealc left to return to camp, Jack took the opportunity to wash off a week's worth of P3J050. Getting his body somewhat cleaner made him realize how dirty his clothes were and he made a mental note to set up a laundry detail when time allowed. As Jack finished dousing his head into the river, Carter came through the trees waving a couple of bandannas. She tossed one to Jack, who used it to dry his face.

Jack just looked at her, he didn't need to ask the question.

Carter shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, Sir. The arm looks better, the fever hasn't come back. He should be getting stronger, but..."

Jack cut her off there, he was in mood to hear 'buts', it was enough right now that they were finally here and Daniel was alive...

"He's gonna be fine, Carter. He's got more going for him than any of us ever guessed at..." Jack stopped, realizing that he was saying too much.

Carter arched an eyebrow at him in curiousity at the unexpected outburst. Jack knew she'd been dying to know more about the three days the team had been separated, but Jack was determined not to tell her more than the general information he had already given her...It was just too....too close, too private.

Jack turned away and headed back to camp, leaving her staring after him as of he'd just grown two heads.


Teal'c had put on coffee for his friends. Although Teal'c did not share this peculiar Tau'ri addiction, he was generally supportive of it and had learned to make it some time ago. Thanks to Daniel's not-so-secret stash, coffee was one thing they still had plenty of.

Jack saw that Daniel was awake and trying to get up, holding onto the tree for support.

Before he could stop himself, Jack said, "Daniel, dammit...Would you just stay put!"

Daniel's eyes flashed, "Jack, I'm never going to get better if I don't try..."

Realizing that his friend was right, and that his comment had been unnecessary, Jack walked over and put out a hand to help Daniel. Daniel stared at the hand suspiciously for a moment, his expression clearing as his anger died its usual quick death. Daniel accepted Jack's hand and support as he moved over to the fire. The day had been exhausting and he simply didn't have the energy to walk any further. Teal'c handed them both a cup of coffee, which they accepted gratefully.

Daniel took a long breath, glancing quickly at Jack before speaking, "Teal'c, tell me about the writing you guys saw in there." His hand pointed at the small stone structure, just visible beyond the treees.

Before Teal'c could reply, Jack shot Daniel the C.O. look. "Daniel, it can wait."

Daniel returned Jack's glare with one of his own, the one that said there was a mystery at hand and they were wasting time.

"Tomorrow, Daniel," Jack said with finality, broaching no arguments.

Time, Jack realized, like coffee, they had plenty of.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||