WALLS: Part 7

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Jack didn't know what to make of that statement. His first instinct was to feel uncomfortable, but just as quickly he decided it didn't really matter. There wasn't much in Jack's life that Daniel didn't already know...or hadn't guessed at...especially aft er the past sixteen hours. Jack knew, somewhere on an almost elemental level, that he trusted Daniel with his life...literally and figuratively.

When Jack looked up Daniel was looking at him with an intensity that told Jack that the message was received and appreciated. Just as quickly Daniel looked away as if trying to leave Jack some measure of privacy inside his own head.

"I'm sorry, Jack..."

Jack felt a twinge of anger at the quiet, level tone. "Daniel, I thought we had this guilt thing worked out. This isn't your fault. For once, it wasn't something you touched, tasted or jumped up and asked for."

Daniel grinned that small self-deprecating grin that was usually a precursor to that sharp biting wit. "No," he admitted, "but we've got to find that trouble magnet."

Jack stared at his friend for a moment in disbelief, recognizing his own past description for Daniel's singular talent for dicovering misfortune...or having it discover him. Jack realized they were laughing together; the quick, rueful laughter to which the only alternative is to cry. And Jack knew neither of them was the type to indulge in that other alternative, which was one of their shared strengths.

"Or weaknesses..." Daniel finished the thought, obviously not realizing what he had done.

Jack let it pass with a sigh. "So, what now? You don't seem to be 'broadcasting' anymore. Maybe the two-way stuff is over..."

Daniel shook his hed slightly. "No...I'm trying real hard not to, but it, " Daniel paused a moment, rubbing his forehead, "it makes my headache..."

Jack smiled tightly in sympathy and had a sudden insight. "Maybe you shouldn't try, then."

Daniel looked up sharply in surprise, wincing at the pain it caused.

Jack raised his hand to forestall the argument he could see coming. "No...no, listen...When you let go on me the last time, you felt better...fever went down and everything. When the fever started coming back..."

Daniel grasped Jack's train of thought instantly, "...I started 'hearing' you again and the harder I try to stop it..."

"The worse you feel," Jack concluded with a 'there you go' gesture.

"So," Daniel began in that I'm-about-to-form-a-hypothesis tone that Jack knew so well...and sometimes dreaded, "maybe this...thing...has to be 'released' somehow in order for it to run it's course." Daniel frowned then, looking up at Jack as if to have him confirm the logic of his reasoning.

Jack grinned at the irony. 'He wants my opinion on a theory?'

From Daniel's nod and sardonic smile, Jack knew that thought had definitely been 'heard'.

With a deep, sobering breath, Jack tried to sort through the facts as they knew them. The basic, and most important, fact remained...Daniel had gotten better, if only for a short time.

The two men looked at each other, blue eyes meeting brown. As they had done so long ago on Abydos, they reached the same conclusion simultaneously.

"We have to do it again."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||