STORMS OF LIFE: Part 27

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net

Author's Notes: I want to take the opportunity here to thank Brenda...my dear wonder beta...for everything, even the most welcome stress relief. Dee for serving enthusiastic GP duty, love that feedback. And Jb for picking up my little medical boo boo's and giving me more to work with. I appreciate you all...

This takes events up to Nemesis...and we all know now what the little twinge was.



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 27: Thunder Rolls

The coffee was hot, the food...so-so...but Jack reveled in the sensation of warmth and comfort. Janet Fraiser had checked them both out at Edmonton...pronounced Jack bruised, but not broken...Daniel sick, but on the mend, and hustled them all onto a transport back to the SGC.

Two days later and Daniel had been pronounced semi-ambulatory, actually spending several hours on the third day in his lab while they were confined to base because, as General Hammond put it, they "couldn't be trusted to stay out of trouble." Jack hadn't missed the undercurrent of rough affection under the general's bluster.

Jack was taking it easy as well, catching up on paper work then going down to drag Daniel off for dinner and a chess game before he could accidentally forget his curfew and work himself into a relapse. It was nice to share a quiet evening together this way, as they had in the infirmary, sometimes with Sam or Teal'c as audience...sometimes just the two of them. Jack hadn't realized how much he missed the simple pleasure of quiet companionship, the comfort of another's presence whether they were doing anything or not.

It seemed to Jack that Daniel had achieved a similar peace...the tension lines fading more every day...the younger man looked happy. Not a grin-big-enough-to-break-his-face happy...that wasn't Daniel's way...it was more of a Cheshire cat, all's-pretty-darn-okay-in-my-world smile that never seemed to stray far from the surface.

Watching Daniel sip at his bootleg coffee...snuck in to him by Carter...Jack was amazed at the difference in both their lives a few days, a lot of snow, and a pile of debris had made. As Daniel leaned forward to place his knight in a surprisingly aggressive position, Jack noticed a little wince.

"What's wrong?"

Daniel shook his head. "Just a pulled muscle from using those crutches so long...I think."

"You think?"

"Well, I've been off them for a couple of days now. I figured it would have gone away by now..."

"What did Fraiser say?" The head duck executed on schedule and Jack followed the eyes down. "You didn't tell her?"

"C'mon, Jack...I spend enough time down there without giving her any more reasons to poke at me." Daniel sat back with a huffing exhalation, wincing again at the movement.

Jack sighed and stood up. "Let's go..."

"Jack..."

Jack schooled his own expression, knowing he couldn't hold out against the pleading eyes for very long if he didn't...one smile and he'd lose control of the situation. Holding out a hand, Jack saw the sulky acceptance...knew he'd won...this round at least.

Daniel sighed, hugely...taking Jack's hand and allowing himself to be helped up. Jack passed over the cane Daniel had been using once the crutches were no longer necessary and waited for Daniel to fall into step beside him.

Making their way down the corridor, Jack said, "You know I was thinking we might try that fishing trip again...somewhere closer to home...?"

"Sure, Jack...sounds like a plan..."

"You okay?"

"I'm good..."

"Good. You sure?"

"Um hm..." The assurance ended on a high note that did little to convince Jack. Looking over at Daniel, Jack noted the once again pale face, the stooped posture and the sudden appearance of perspiration on the other man's pain-lined forehead.

'Oh, shit...here we go again..."

Jack sighed, making a pretty good guess at the nature of this new storm life seemed determined to throw at them. They would weather it together...again.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||