STORMS OF LIFE: Part 23

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 23: Sunrise

Jack watched Daniel sleep, feeling incredibly relieved they had succeeded. It already seemed to Jack that a huge weight had been lifted....

'Well, maybe because it has...'

Yet it was more than the physical weight. They had done this together, working as one toward a common goal as they had done so many times in the past...reading one another in a way they hadn't for a very long time.

Jack sighed and put his own head down a moment, checking his watch...a little over three hours until dark. Jack knew he should wake Daniel, it would be a lot better for both of them if Jack were free and able to help take care of things...but at the same time, he knew Daniel needed all the rest he could manage. Jack had seen Daniel's eyes as he began pulling on the rope...understood all too well the look of fatalistic realization as Daniel comprehended that he'd the limits of what his body was willing to give and edged into the territory of sheer will...a place they had both visited before.

Jack shifted around, looking at the pile on top of him...maybe...just maybe...

Once more making use of the two-by-four, Jack pushed at the upper levels of the debris...hearing a satisfying thump as a large portion of it slid off on the other side. Encouraged, Jack pushed some more.

'Good, good...'

So engrossed in the simple pleasure of being able to do something to help himself, Jack didn't notice when Daniel woke up and joined him...pulling off the nearer planks and shingles and throwing them into the stack. They worked together for a long time that way...stopping only when Daniel needed to catch his breath, cough or take medicine, once to eat and replenish fluids...even in the cold they were both sweating with exertion.

It was less than an hour before dark when Jack felt something shift against his thigh.

"Whoa, Daniel, hold it..."

Daniel stopped, looking over expectantly.

"Something moved here..."

Daniel leaned over to peer into the bottom of the stack.

"Give me the board, Jack..."

Jack watched as Daniel extended the two-by-four into the depths of the pile, just beside and above his legs. After a bit of shifting, Daniel pushed down on the board and Jack felt...free...

"Pull yourself out, Jack..."

Jack did not need to be told twice, pulling with his hands and dragging his legs...a little...a little more...out...

Jack looked back to see Daniel, still stubbornly holding his weight on the board...eyes screwed shut, sweat breaking out on his forehead...

"Daniel! I'm out, let go!"

Blues opened slowly, looking down to be sure before letting go of the board...

Jack wiggled his very cold toes...watching carefully to be sure the thought was resulting in very real action.

"Yes! We did it, Daniel..."

Daniel just sat there grinning as Jack sat up and massaged his legs against the pins and needles just beginning to creep up from his toes.

"God, I never thought I'd be so glad just to sit on my butt..."

Jack was pleased to hear the light chuckle from his friend...

"Daniel?"

"Yeah, Jack?"

"You know I appreciate all this right?"

"Yeah...I know..."

"So I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining or anything, okay?"

"Sure, Jack...what is it?"

"I really, really need to go to the bathroom."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||