STORMS OF LIFE: Part 22

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 22: The Clouds Depart

Daniel's hands were shaking.and he knew it had nothing at all to do with the pervasive weakness of his body or the cold seeping into his bones. This was Jack's life...literally at the mercy of the strength of two hands...

'My hands...'

Daniel sighed and positioned himself, looking down one last time. Jack's expression transported Daniel back to Klorel's ship...after the last bomb was placed and they were about to commit mutual suicide for the greater good of mankind. They had looked at one another with determination edged with a sense of fatalistic humor...an 'all or nothing, at least we're in this together' sort of comfort against the reality they were about to face...for the few nanoseconds it would take until they disintegrated.

They hadn't needed words then...they didn't need them now.

Daniel pulled, gently at first, bringing the rope taut to be sure everything was going to hold. Daniel could feel his muscles trembling as the strain began...knew there would only be one shot at this...

Slipping the end of the rope around his waist, Daniel pulled again and was rewarded by a slight shifting of the beam. Backing up a step pulled the beam even further off its resting place...but they needed more...

Daniel could feel the ache working its way up his chest...the urge to cough was building again....

'Not now!'

Another step back, another two inches...just a little more...

In his peripheral vision Daniel was aware of Jack bracing himself...the board being eased into place...

Another step...the beam was clear...

His lungs were on fire...

'Now, Jack...it has to be now...'

Jack shoved the board...hard. Daniel could feel the force of it against the beam, prayed it would be enough...and let go of the rope...

The fire would no longer be denied. Even as he hit his knees, Daniel could hear the crash of the beam over his own coughing, through rapidly clouding vision he looked up to meet Jack's grinning face...

"Way to go, Tool Man."

Daniel understood the reference...that dumb sitcom Jack watched over and over again. As the coughing subsided, Daniel wiped his face tiredly, unable to resist a reply, "Tool Man's a dork...I was thinking maybe...MacGyver...."

Jack looked a bit stunned then laughed outright as Daniel crawled over to collapse on the blankets, breathing in small shallow pants to keep the coughing at bay. A bottle of water touched his lips and he drank automatically. Daniel closed his eyes knowing the job wasn't over...there was still a lot of stuff to be cleared. He opened his eyes quickly; he had to get up...

A hand on his shoulder stopped him. "A few more minutes won't matter. Take a break."

Daniel nodded, letting his eyes close again. "Five minutes, don't let me sleep..."

The hand patted Daniel's shoulder.

"You bet..."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||