STORMS OF LIFE: Part 17

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 17: Stillness

Jack woke up to the distinct feeling of warmth.

Opening his eyes, he found the area bathed in greenish light...a lantern...and the light was giving off heat...

So was the warm body tucked in close in front of him, not quite touching but near enough to feel the heat of fever warming them both under the...sleeping bag? Jack looked around more carefully...a canvas tarp was extended overhead, tied onto the light fixture, a fallen beam, the pile on top of him and a wall...a pretty effective tent holding in the blessed heat. More food rested in the basket near his head, and Jack smiled and propped himself on his elbow to snag a napkin-wrapped sandwich...

Daniel had cooked dinner.

Your talents never cease to amaze me...

The long ago statement was as true now as it had been on the day Daniel...Daniel of all people...delivered the baby back on Argos. More true. The younger man was a consistent source of pleasantly surprising knowledge and talents.

Jack's legs ached to move, to release himself from the restraint and stretch themselves. He sighed, letting go of what he couldn't change. The sandwich was good. He realized this was his second almost-meal in two days and wondered if Daniel had managed to eat anything.

Looking down at the huddled figure beside him, Jack could see the dark hollowness under the eyes, the gauntness in the cheeks having little to do with lack of food. Daniel was sick...and from the sound of his breathing...getting sicker.

'But he won't give up. Daniel never gives up.'

Jack realized the truth in his words, knew it with a certainty rarely granted to many things in his life. Daniel would get him out or...

'Nope, not going there...'

Spotting the bottle of Tylenol near the basket, Jack shook Daniel's shoulder.

Daniel's eyes jumped open quickly. "Hm? Jack, what is it?"

"It's okay...you need to take some of this..."

Daniel focused blearily on the bottle in Jack's hand. "What...uh...why?" The blue eyes drifted closed again.

Jack tapped a hand on the too warm cheeks. "You have a fever, you need to get it down..."

Daniel reached blindly for the pills and water Jack gave him. Jack helped Daniel a sitting position, bracing his back until he'd swallowed them. Daniel handed back the bottle and lay back down with a sigh.

"Thanks, Jack..." The reassuring words ended in a squeak.

"Sure thing, Daniel. Feeling just peachy, aren't you?"

Daniel nodded. "I'm okay..."

Doubt evident in his voice, Jack replied, "Sure you are."

Daniel snuggled deeply into the coverings, "Night, Jack..."

Jack shook his head, laying his own head down. "Night, John-Boy..."

"Cute, Jack..." Daniel's voce was muffled but distinct.

"Thanks, I work on it..."

A snort rumbled from the depths of cloth. "I can tell..."

Jack did a little double take at the implied dig. "No respect, I get no respect..."

There was no answer to that and Jack assumed Daniel had drifted back off. It felt good to banter together...a familiar ritual born of many long nights on distant worlds, many shared nightmares sitting on his deck drinking beer in the dark because neither of them wanted to risk sleep. This was real, this was normal...this was them.

And it felt pretty good...

Jack let himself drift away on that note...feeling a warmth settle into him that didn't come from any external source.

It felt damn good.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||