STORMS OF LIFE: Part 14

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 14: Distant Rumbles

Daniel was very much aware of Jack's eyes on him, could read the edginess there. Jack was by nature and training a leader.a leader in the very best sense of the word.and did not take well to any situation in which he was deprived of that ability. Daniel knew it, understood and accepted it.but sometimes it was really difficult to breach the barriers of self-sufficient.sometimes even belligerent. isolation and 'help' Jack.whether he wanted it or not.

'Right now I'm just too tired to fight with you, Jack.so just shut up and deal with it.'

Oddly enough it seemed Jack was dealing with it.lying there in calm acceptance, watching Daniel's hands with a look of deep concentration. Taping up the last bandage, Daniel sat back for a moment, gathering energy for the task at hand. A virtual mountain of oddly shaped wood and snow.

Daniel sighed heavily, rising to his feet, settling his makeshift crutch, and taking the first piece of wood off the pile. He could see the process was going to be lengthy and tedious.one wrong move and everything could collapse. Daniel closed his eyes briefly, feeling his heart lurch at the possibility.almost seeing in his mind's eye the huge pile sliding down.burying Jack alive.

'Not going there.It's not going to happen.'

Bit by bit, Daniel cleared a small area around Jack's backside.waited for the inevitable comment as the last piece was thrown aside.

"That's what I call taking a load off."

Daniel squinted down at Jack's grinning face and shook his head. "Bet you spent all day lying there thinking that one up.but there's taking a load off then there's." Daniel gestured toward the dauntingly huge pile of debris. "This could take a while." he added, repeating his earlier sentiments with a sigh.

Jack nodded acceptance with more grace than Daniel would have expected. "That being the case, how about a break? To tell you the truth, I'm starving."

Daniel looked down at his watch.2:35. "God, I'm sorry, Jack. Why didn't you say anything?"

Jack shrugged his shoulders stiffly. "You were busy.and I thought maybe it wouldn't take so long after all."

Daniel frowned in apology. "I have to go carefully. One wrong move and." Daniel's hands moved in an expressively downward motion.

Jack nodded, completing the aborted sentence, "Jack. Pancake. Got it."

Daniel smiled grimly. "Yeah, something like that.." Straightening his back and setting his crutch firmly, Daniel moved carefully toward the edge of the debris pile. "I think I can reach the kitchen."

Jack nodded again. "Just.be careful."

Daniel smiled as if to say "Who me?" and moved away, stifling a cough as he went.

Picking his way carefully, Daniel found that by staying close to the walls it was relatively easy. The kitchen was remarkably unscathed.a layer of dust and fine particles lay over everything, but the room was still solid. There was plenty of bottled water in the refrigerator.still fairly cold even with the power off. A search of the cupboards yielded a basket Daniel filled with water, bread, cheese and lunchmeat.plus a few chocolate bars.

A shake of the coffeepot revealed it was nearly half full and Daniel couldn't resist finding a clean mug and pouring some. Slumping into a chair, he drank half of it in one gulp.feeling the bitter liquid sting it's way down his hot, raw throat.

Sparking a fresh round of coughing..

The mug tipped and crashed to the floor, shattering in a splash of brown and white.a distant part of Daniel's brain noted the pattern, became focused on it even as his vision clouded.

Distantly he could hear Jack shouting his name from the other room, knew he should call back.should go back.

'I don't have time for this, Jack needs me.'

A rush of heat flooded through him and he felt his body falling from the chair.knew it was going to hurt.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||