STORMS OF LIFE: Part 12

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 12: Cloud Burst

Hot, cold, pressure...every breath bringing with it needles of icy fire...

Daniel needed to cough, couldn't because of the weight pressing down on his back...

A snoring weight.

Daniel opened his eyes to daylight...

'Way too much daylight...'

Pinned down as he was by Jack, Daniel could only see grey clouds above the remains of the living room. The chimney was centered in his direct line of sight, tall and skeletal, almost comforting in its sturdiness above the chaos below.

Daniel tested his muscles a bit...bracing for new aches. His back hurt more than before...whether from new strain or simply from the weight of the sizeable colonel currently using him as a pillow he wasn't sure.

His head really hurt...

'Knocked unconscious three times in less than two days...if it didn't hurt I'd be worried...'

Moving was painful, but Daniel felt like he felt like he should get up, start dealing with...whatever...

Unfortunately, there was a little problem with the idea.

"Ja-Jack?" Daniel was surprised by the unnatural raspy loudness of his own voice.

The snoring jumped, skittered then resumed.

'Geez, Jack, keep this up and I'm requisitioning earplugs...'

Daniel gathered his strength, thinking to forcefully shift Jack off, then looked over his shoulder toward Jack's legs...or rather, where Jack's legs should have been...It was clear Jack wouldn't be moving any time soon...

'Oh God...'

Even from his awkward perspective, Daniel could see that a good portion of the roof rested on Jack's lower half...one of the massive support beams looming atop the entire mess with immutable finality.

"Jack!" Daniel pushed up with one shoulder, causing the snoring to finally...thankfully...stop.

"Hm...what?"

Jack's weight shifted, pushing down as he did. Daniel moaned involuntarily at the pressure on his already tender back.

"Shit! Sorry, Daniel...you okay?"

Daniel nodded, breathing hard for a moment against the pain, finally giving in to the urge...the need...to cough.

It hurt.

Jack's hands moved as far as they could, helping Daniel roll and sit up...rubbing along his back as the spasm took his breath away. Daniel became aware of Jack's voice...promising things would be alright, things weren't as bad as they seemed...

Something in Daniel...something surprisingly dark and just a little petty and largely ignored in the near constant crisis their lives had become...broke free...

"God, Jack, get a grip..." Daniel drew a shaky breath, one hand to his aching head.

"Daniel? What the hell...?" Jack was looking up from his cramped position, half over on one side, elbow supporting his upper body a foot or so from the ground. Jack's eyes were creased in an expression of concerned confusion...an expression Daniel suddenly hated...

"Look around, Jack, look at us..." Daniel gestured vaguely at the sky, at Jack, at the mountain of debris around them. "We're miles from nowhere. What was the roof over our heads is now planted firmly on your ass. My head has got to be swollen twice its normal size to hurt this much and now I'm trying to donate a lung the hard way. Call me negative, Jack...but how bad do things look to you?"

Daniel looked down at Jack, looking up rather patiently all things considered...and felt a pang of guilt for not even asking how Jack was feeling...

Incredibly, Jack smiled, quirking his head to one side. "Well, when you put it that way I guess they look pretty damn bad."

Daniel felt his anger dissipate like the warmth from both their bodies now they were apart...

'Uh oh...that has to be some kind of significant analogy...'

The thought, the situation, the expression on Jack's face...Daniel felt a laugh coming on, knew it was going to make him cough, knew it was going to hurt... didn't care ... couldn't stop it ...

He laughed.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||