STORMS OF LIFE: Part 6

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 6: Accumulation

"How much further? Can't ask...can't let him think I can't keep up...God, I thought I'd gotten over that...'

Daniel kicked himself mentally, enjoying the image in his mind...even as he recognized the exhaustion fostering it. He prided himself, when he allowed himself to indulge in such things, on his ability to drive himself past his own limits...but he the critical voice in his head.the one with Nick's oh, so superior intellectual accent...told him he was just about to hit the proverbial wall...with a bang. Only the silvery shine of Jack's hair in the cloud-filtered moonlight kept him focused...his vision having blurred and narrowed to the point it was all he could see. Snow caked on his head unheeded, melting and soaking into his skin and down his collar...chilling him to his core. He knew, on some distant level, he should be concerned about it...really should tell Jack...

'I can make it...Don't want to worry him....He has to be just as cold...'

Daniel had ceased to feel the pull and burn in his ankle with every step, he wasn't even sure when that had happened...maybe jumping out of the car? He just concentrated on placing one unsteady foot in front of the other and watching Jack's hair...

'Good thing I worried him so much it went grey...I'd never be able to see him...' Daniel almost giggled at his private joke, the feeling of disconnection allowing one part of his brain to objectively note his mental faculties deteriorating even as the other part raced ahead at full speed. He knew he could keep going, knew he wouldn't stop until his body finally decided it had enough and stopped cooperating.

'Still got a while...' As his vision tunneled even further, Daniel giggled softly. 'Maybe not...'

A jarring tingle of pain as he hit his knees gave Daniel a spectacular view of stars against a red background.

"Daniel? Damn it..."

"Jack...'Pissed-off Jack', at that. Haven't heard him in...oh...at least a week..."

A light slap on his cheek, pulled Daniel out of his fog a bit. "Jack?"

"C'mon, Daniel...I need you to hang on a little longer...Can you do that for me? "

Jack's voice was immersed in the rare tone of caring and concern that alternately pleased Daniel and frightened him...anything capable of scaring Jack had to be pretty bad...

'Oh...guess this means things are bad...'

Another slap helped, banishing the stars in favor of a pair of dark eyes shimmering with moisture in the dimness...eyes topped by an inordinate amount of snow...

'Snowman Jack...'

Daniel shook his head, grabbing onto Jack's shoulder to anchor himself, pulling up the dregs of his reserves to concentrate on reality...cold and snowy as it was.

"Almost...little more...hang on..." Jack's voiced faded in and out of Daniel's hearing, but he caught enough to understand they were almost to the cabin. He felt himself hoisted up, his arm pulled across Jack's shoulders, movement forward as Jack started walking again...leaving Daniel little choice but to move with him.

Daniel could feel the trembling of Jack's muscles underneath his arm...realized he wasn't the only one about to meet up with the 'wall.' He made an effort to pull himself upright, take some of his weight off Jack.

"Just stay put, Danny..." Jack's tone left no room for argument.

Daniel nodded.

"A few more yards. You with me?"

Daniel nodded again.

"Good, I hate one-sided relationships..."

Daniel nodded again, laughing softly as Jack's meaning penetrated his brain.

Jack returned the laugh. "Good boy...just keep it together a little longer...then we can get a hot shower, warm bed...coffee...." Jack drawled the last word out enticingly, like a lure before a trout...

'Fly Fishing for Archaeologists...next time on Lifestyles of SGC Colonels...'

Daniel laughed outright then...knowing his mind and body had hit the wall at last and just hadn't realized it was time to fall down now...

Jack laughed again, nervously. "What...?"

Daniel shook his head, trying to control the laughter that threatened to overwhelm him...or deteriorate into something a lot less pleasant.

"We're here, Daniel. You hear me? We made it..."

'Made it? That's good...'

Daniel felt himself being hoisted up a short staircase, tried to coordinate his feet to help...

Jack fumbled around the doorframe, awkwardly hanging onto Daniel at the same time...Daniel heard the rattle of a key and a creaking sound then it was warm...Not a wave of heat, just the recognition that the air was no longer laced with the wet chill that had become the norm through this nightmarish night...

He wanted to sit down, let go, sleep...

Jack was pulling him...pulling his soggy coat and sweater, a dragging weight he hadn't even been aware of, from his body...

Daniel shivered hard with the sudden bareness...feeling vulnerable in a way he hadn't in years...

Something soft found its way around him, hands beneath it rubbing gently but vigorously...leeching away the icy chill. Daniel was vaguely aware of the rest of his clothes disappearing then and encompassing warmth, something soft and solid beneath him...

'Bed? Couch?' Daniel decided it didn't matter...and let himself fall into it with a sigh of thanks to Jack...

Just as exhaustion overtook him, Daniel heard a rough grumble.

"Any time, Danny...any time..."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||