STORMS OF LIFE: Part 4

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 4: Storm Front

Cold...aching, trembling, painful cold...

Daniel recalled hearing the phrase 'numbing cold'...there was nothing numb in what he was feeling. The parts of him that didn't outright hurt, prickled as if under attack by thousands of fine needles...

He was aware of quiet...

'Jack?'

Daniel distantly recalled the feeling of falling...an almost weightlessness as they had left the road. Rough scraping, groaning noises as the Explorer struck small trees and other things unidentifiable as they flew past. The jar of pain as they came up against 'something' and Daniel's head struck the dashboard...no airbag on his side...then nothing...

Until now...

Daniel dragged his eyelids open...seeing only darkness...

'Blind?'

Rough blinking altered the levels of blackness, making him realize night had fallen while he had been unconscious...steady focusing brought images of black trees against white snow, a 'lot' of white snow. Daniel struggled to find his glasses in his jacket pocket and slipped them on. At least a foot of snow...and more falling. A small moan beside him, brought his attention back inside the vehicle...Jack!

Jack was stirring, nearly lost in the remains of the airbag that had probably saved his life even as its force battered his head and neck.

"Jack...?" Daniel had to clear his raw, dry throat several times to force his voice into any semblance of volume.

Jack moaned again, pushing himself unsteadily upright. "Shit...what the...Oh."

Daniel almost laughed as the words reflected his own clumsy return to consciousness and the memory of the accident.

"Daniel? Y'okay?"

Daniel nodded then remembered Jack probably couldn't see the gesture. "Head hurts...cold...otherwise I think so...You?"

Jack leaned back carefully, seeming to take an awfully log time to decide. "Yeah, seems like...Where the hell are we?"

Daniel shifted a bit, opening the car door to peer out...

'Uh oh...'

"Um, Jack? Maybe you should try to get out of the car?"

Apparently Daniel's mild tone wasn't enough to keep Jack from sensing the fear beneath it.

"What, Daniel?"

Daniel swallowed hard, pulling the door closed with infinite care. "We're, uh, up against a tree...it's the, um, only thing keeping us from sliding over a cliff..."

"Oh." Daniel could hear Jack's breath hitch then slowly release. "Guess we better...get out...then..."

"I think that would be a pretty good idea about now..."

Jack opened his door carefully, the car shifted slightly...

"You, uh, you're gonna be right behind me, right?"

Daniel smiled nervously. "Like always, Jack..."

The comment got a welcome laugh from Jack. "Like always, he says...Just when was that, Danny...? Can't remember..."

Jack was slowly eased the door open...releasing a gasp as the car slid again...

"Maybe you should, uh, climb over here a bit before I get out..."

Daniel took a deep breath and slid over, hooking one leg slowly over the center console. Jack's hand found a grip on Daniel's forearm, clutching tightly as he started to slide one leg out of the vehicle. Daniel hooked himself upward, bringing his other leg up onto his seat...

The Explorer groaned, a snapping sounded preceded another shift and both men froze in place.

"Jack, um, maybe we should just jump and hope for the best...?"

Jack cleared his throat. "Y'think?"

The words held none of their usual biting sarcasm. Jack clearly wanted the choice to be Daniel's.it was Daniel who was in the literal hot seat. If the car shifted too violently, Jack had a fairly good chance...Daniel might not be so lucky...

Daniel swallowed hard and his muscles tensed as he made his decision. Shifting a hand to grasp Jack's snugly around the wrist, he allowed the smile to reach his voice. "My life's in your hands...again."

Jack choked off a bitter laugh. Another groan of metal nearly kept Daniel from hearing the muttered, "Not done such a hot job with it lately..."

Daniel bit down on a reply...this wasn't the time to get into a philosophical argument on the checks and balances of friendship...or their mutual guilt over the state theirs was in. The Explorer shifted again, rocking slightly as one tire slid over the cliff.

Jack carefully reached one leg out of the car, sinking it into the snow and digging in until he felt like he had some leverage. He blew out a breath as he tightened his grip on Daniel and eased the other leg out...

The car slid further, faster...

Daniel felt Jack's hard pull and launched himself outward...

He was aware of white snow, the cracking finality as whatever had been holding the vehicle in place gave way, tearing heat as his leg caught...for just a moment...on the steering wheel, the warmth as he landed hard against Jack's body then blackness descended again ...


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||