SPIRIT DANCE: Part 6

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'This looks all too familiar...if I could only figure out where from....'

Daniel was taking notes as fast as he could while Sam took samples and video'ed everything in sight.

Daniel knew that...somewhere...he'd seen pictographs similar to these before. The ruins themselves bespoke a pastoral culture, possibly migratory dwellings visited when the herds of ...whatever....came here for summer feeding. The pictographs depicted those animals as well as humanoid figures, but the image that captured Daniel's attention was subtly different....an image of a ghost-like figure....

'Where have I seen that before...?'

Daniel was aware of Jack and Teal'c rather conspicuously trying to be inconspicuous as they hovered around him. He smiled inwardly...if the situation weren't so serious, it would almost be funny...

Daniel's throbbing head reminded him that the situation wasn't a bit humorous. Jack tapped him on the shoulder, handing over a painkiller and a canteen. Daniel took them with a grateful nod, wondering when he'd become so completely readable to Jack.

'About the same time I learned how to read him...' Daniel guessed, reminding himself how lucky he was to have become a part of this amazing group of people.

He passed the canteen back, nodding again to reassure Jack.

'Take five, Danny...'

Daniel started to argue, but thought better of it. One thing he'd learned over time was to choose his battles with Jack. Besides, his head did hurt and the lack of sleep was beginning to catch up to him...it was a long way back to the 'gate....

Jack sat down beside him, raising a hand to rub at Daniel's aching neck...carefully avoiding the bandage. Jack knew a thing or two about pressure points and Daniel soon felt some of the pain ease. His head drooped to rest on his knees and he almost felt like he could sleep....

"The Spirit Dance!"

Jack's hand flew away as Daniel's head popped up.

"The...what?" Jack tried not to look too surprised by Daniel's intuitive leap.

Daniel jumped up...a little too fast...and Jack put out a hand to steady him. Daniel stood there a moment...letting his body catch up to the tangent his mind was well on the way to...then moved to the wall of pictographs. Daniel pointed out the ghostly figure that had intrigued him before.

"This...indicates a ritual performed among several native tribes on Earth..."

Jack's expression was loudly saying...'and?'.

Daniel hesitated a moment, trying to gather his racing thoughts into some semblance of order.

"Okay...many native tribes, including the Lakota Sioux, practiced a ritual designed to commune with the spirits of their ancestors..." Daniel started pacing as he warmed to the subject. "The ritual generally involved a series of tests designed to prove worthiness to receive the wisdom and gifts of those who'd passed on..."

Jack was looking at Daniel, a wary expression on his face. "Are you trying to tell me...?"

Daniel looked puzzled a moment, "Yes. I think. Maybe."

Jack grinned. "Well, that's pretty definite."

Sam had been listening and chimed in, " Are you trying to say these 'spirits' are testing you to see if you're worth talking to?"

Daniel glanced away as he realized how strange his words must have sounded and wondered if he should have spoken at all...

"Hey..." Jack's tone made Daniel look up to meet his eyes. "We know it's something real...and this is as good an explanation as anything else we've got."

"Ghosts, Jack?" Daniel couldn't help the self-deprecating tone that crept into his voice.

"Or some reasonable facsimile..."

Daniel nodded in a completely different sort of gratitude. "So what do we do?"

"We get the hell out of here before they throw something else at us."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||