SPIRIT DANCE: Part 5

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'Well, this sucks...'

Jack couldn't help but wonder at the vendetta the so-called Fates seemed to have going for his best friend.

'They must've been Goa'uld, too....' Jack mused, more to keep himself awake than anything else, but it did seem that Daniel got tossed more than his share of grief.

Watching Daniel squinting at his notes in the fast-fading firelight, Jack shook his head. Some things about Daniel would never change...and Jack was quite sure he didn't want them to.

They had been relieved to see the first dim glow of dawn through the trees and all of them hoped this would bring an end to the night's strange happenings. As the light grew, Jack got his first good look at Daniel...the kid looked like how he must feel... pretty damn bad. The gashes across his cheeks stood out like some bad tattoo, the bandage behind his ear and the purplish bruise on his temple were just the most visible signs of the hellish night he had been through.

Daniel looked up suddenly, as if feeling Jack's eyes on him. He shook his head ruefully giving a fatalistic half-shrug which inexplicably angered Jack even further. He didn't like seeing Daniel accept the unfairness that seemed to come his way all too often. Most of the time, Daniel fought those feelings with a fair measure of success, but...occasionally... he would lose that battle.

"Daniel?" Jack's question was under the surface...a level upon which most of their relationship lay. They knew without knowing, said without saying...felt kinship on a level so far beyond words that the deep feelings between them rarely required them.

Daniel nodded his head, reading beneath the tone and answering the question. "It's okay, Jack."

As the twilight faded away into a bright morning, Jack knew they had to see if the rocks had decided to stop seeking revenge on the archaeologist...

'There's a joke in there somewhere...' Jack thought.

Daniel nodded at the unspoken thought, making ready to stand. Jack looked at his team and stepped away from Daniel, poised to jump back into position at the first provocation...

Nothing happened.

A collective sigh rose up among them and Teal'c bent to help Daniel off the ground. The young man swayed a little...tired and hurting...but managed to stand on his own and walked around stretching muscles cramped from staying still for so long.

Daniel offered a quiet 'thanks' to his friends...a single word that expressed so much more.

Jack nodded at his team, acknowledging their efforts and expressing his own gratitude.

Daniel was looking in the direction of the ruins, and Jack felt a distinct sense of dread...

"Jack..."

"No."

The two words tumbled over one another; blue eyes met brown in a test of will and purpose...

Jack didn't need to hear that it was important to discover what sort people had inhabited this world, to try to discover what sort of power had held them all hostage around his stubborn friend all night. What Jack knew was that they were all exhausted and that exceedingly stubborn...and injured...friend should be the one leading the argument to head back to the 'gate, but never would be.

Jack sighed...someday...."Two hours, Daniel. No more."

Daniel smiled in gratitude and understanding. He knew quite well when to push...and when not to.

"That's all I need."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||