SPIRIT DANCE: Part 3

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'I do not believe in ghosts....So what scratched me?'

Daniel's nervousness was not improved by the fact that Sam, Jack and Teal'c had closed ranks around him like a matched set of camouflage-clad mother hens. Over time Daniel had grown used to the rather over-protective tendencies of his team mates and alternately felt touched and irritated by the gestures. This time, however, it merely heightened the feeling that there was something out there to be protected from.

Jack had ordered them to stay in pairs and took the next watch with Daniel, who had argued that he was far too keyed-up to sleep.

Daniel watched the firelight set the shadows around them in motion, suppressing a shudder as that strange feeling intensified. Daniel was more relieved than he could admit to himself that his friends' well-honed instincts were in complete agreement with h is own.

Jack had made a poor attempt at humor to distract them from the ever-growing tenseness, but neither of them was in really in the mood for jokes.

Daniel could feel a distinct 'danger' in the air around him...a sense of closeness and ill-intent in whatever it was that watched them. He hesitated to mention those impressions...his last strange impressions had not been well-received and had left him re luctant to share theories without at least minimal proofs.

Jack was watching Daniel as he sat there engrossed in unpleasant memories. "It's not the same, y'know..." Jack said quietly. "Something very 'real' caused..." He waved broadly toward Daniel's damaged face.

"I know..." Daniel almost whispered, somewhat embarrassed to be so easily read. "It's just..."

"I know." Jack stated and Daniel knew that it was true.

Daniel smiled, starting to shake off the jittery feeling...just before the first stone struck him in the chest.

Jack was on his feet in an instant, facing outward and placing himself between Daniel and his unseen attacker.

Another stone shot into the camp, knocking Daniel to his knees as it struck him behind the ear, drawing blood once again.

Jack ordered Daniel to stay down and tried to shield his friend from further attack while still vainly searching for its source...

"You alright?"

Daniel's hair was quickly reddening where the last stone had struck, the blood soaking in his collar.

"I'm okay..." Daniel started to rise and ducked swiftly as another stone launched out of the darkness, just missing him.

Jack called for Sam and Teal'c; he couldn't protect Daniel out in the open like they were and it was becoming quite obvious that Daniel was the intended target...

Sam and Teal'c were there in moments, surrounding Daniel with their presence in a very effective human shield. The stones stopped...only to fly again when Jack deliberately left an opening to test his theory that Daniel was the one 'it' wanted.

Daniel huddled within the circle of his friends...acutely aware of the risk they were taking for his sake...and unfathomably touched by it. Jack's hand reached back to touch Daniel's shoulder reassuringly...asking the question with one upturned brow.

"I'm okay, Jack."

And surprisingly enough, Daniel knew it was true.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||