SPIRIT DANCE: Part 14

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'I really want to go home now.'

Daniel sat down in the middle of the mist, not caring where they were or who was watching. A hand dropped onto his shoulder and he knew it was Jack. He knew he'd nearly blown it back there...

"Daniel..." Jack's voice was gentler than Daniel could ever recall. "I'm sorry."

Daniel was confused; he'd almost gotten them killed back there...why was Jack apologizing....

Then he knew.

And felt shocked that Jack had finally put it into words.

With all that had happened through that strange experience, that particular sentiment had never been put into words. They'd both been so wrapped up in physical recovery, and then came the mission to Orban where Daniel had spent weeks alone or with Teal'c exploring the ruins...among other things about that strange world...

There'd never been a moment to simply stop and acknowledge that mistakes were made...

"It's oka..."

Jack cut him off, "No...whatever else it is...it isn't okay. We screwed up...big time...nothing can change that."

Daniel started to speak again, to express understanding...let his friend off the hook...

Jack shook his head, "It's not that easy, Daniel. We were wrong and you paid for it."

Daniel started to say something else...then realized there was nothing else. Jack was asking for something that required only one answer....

"I forgive you, Jack."

Jack smiled brightly then...the worry lines on his face smoothing out as he breathed a deep sigh and nodded...

Daniel reached out a hand for Jack to help him up and smiled in return.

'Sometimes you really do need to say the words...'

They stood there together in the mist, unsure of where to go or what to do...

Then the voices returned.

This time Daniel could make out more of the words. 'Life.' 'Worth.' 'Ending.'

The mists closed in around them again, then cleared to reveal a shadowed figure...vaguely Native American in appearance... approaching. The figure was neither overtly male or female, old or young.... It was clothed in darkness and seemed no more solid than the mist that surrounded them, but the eyes were as depthless as a starfield and flashed when the figure finally spoke...

"We hurt you, Daniel Jackson... and seek forgiveness for that."

The voice was little more than a breath of wind, but fully understandable now.

Daniel nodded in acknowledgement, not entirely sure what to say....

"It was our original belief that you were one of our former people, come to rejoin the Clan of the Stars...The sadness in your heart 'spoke' to us and so we set out to test your worthiness to become a part of us."

Jack was staring open-mouthed at the 'spirit'.

"What exactly are 'you'?" Daniel asked.

The figure seemed to smile benignly. "We are what once was. We ceased to need a physical shell and exist as you see us now. We believed that you were prepared to make that transition as well. Your spirit is very like our own, so we believed you to be prepared for joining."

Now Jack was staring open-mouthed at Daniel, for once at a total loss for words.

"We would still offer you the transition, Daniel Jackson...if you should so desire it. Your spirit would be most welcome in the Dance."

A large part of Daniel was tempted...the part that grew so foreign to him everyday, the part he'd begun to leave behind as he grew away from the unfettered, obsessive young man he'd once been...

But now...he had a family and a better realization of what that meant, and beyond that a dying, but far from dead...hope....

"Thank you," he said quietly, "but no. My place is here."

The figure smiled in understanding and looked at Jack. "You have regained that which was lost...protect it."

Jack nodded solemnly, glancing at Daniel.

The shining eyes returned to Daniel. "We would show you the things you wish to learn about us before you go."

Daniel nodded acceptance, looking to Jack expecting the inevitable argument.

Jack looked into Daniel's eyes for a long moment, emotions cascading through the brown depths of his eyes. In a gesture of trust...of faith...Jack nodded agreement.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||