SPIRIT DANCE: Part 11

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'Why can't anything ever be easy...?'

Jack had seen Daniel's cut and bruised face go even paler. Daniel had exhibited astounding courage from Major West's 'go' three years ago, but this was one of his greatest fears...and from the ropes at their feet, Jack was pretty sure that the 'spirits' intended for them to scale this cliff to the bottom.

Jack reached out to touch Daniel's arm, steadying the younger man on the precipice. They didn't have much room for mistakes; the top of the cliff barely measured fifteen feet in a roughly rectangular shape. Jack knew that Daniel was going to have a hard time with this...he also knew that the 'spirits' had to know exactly what kind of faith it would require of Daniel to allow him to successfully complete this descent.

"Oh, boy..." Daniel was shaking his head, breathing deeply. "Jack, can we...?"

Jack shrugged his shoulders in response. "Do we have any choices here?"

Daniel sat down on the rocky ground. "If we don't do it...they'll likely kill me as 'unworthy'....maybe all of us..."

"So...." Jack was leaving the decision up to Daniel. If they didn't do this, they'd try something else...but somehow Jack knew it was vitally important that Daniel be the one to decide.

Daniel looked out over the massive valley, still breathing deeply. Jack could see the wheels turning in Daniel's huge blue eyes; the options playing themselves out to an inevitable conclusion. He watched patiently as Daniel screwed up that tenacious cou rage that would walk through fire for his friends...

"I guess we go."

Jack nodded, allowing Daniel a little time to gather himself before picking up the rope and assessing the best way to approach the descent. After a few moments, Daniel moved to join him, careful to avoid looking beyond the rock face that awaited them. Jack could remember his first descent; it had been a hell of a lot less steep and under far more controlled conditions. It was no surprise to Jack that Daniel was willing to face his fear; what did surprise him was that Daniel's trust in him was still intact...Faith, now...that was another question....

Jack tied each end of the rope to their waists; there wasn't really enough of it to attempt to repel with. This would be the mother of all free climbs...approximately 200 feet, straight down, with no outside support, no anchors. If one of them fell, in all likelihood, they both would.

Daniel breathed again, looking at Jack in question. "Don't look down?"

Jack smiled broadly, amazed that his friend could joke at a time like this.

"Right, don't look down."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||