SPIRIT DANCE: Part 10

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


'Is this another trial?'

Daniel was worried about the potential for danger here. The peculiar perceptions he and Jack were experiencing had to serve some eventual purpose...

Jack seemed to Daniel like a solid, immutable presence...faithful, honorable, caring...never-faltering, never-ending...

Out of the mist a sound, a 'voice', spoke to Daniel. The language was clear, but not clear...so close to something he knew and yet, somehow, intangibly different...just a syllable away from understanding...

A few of the words he recognized. 'Honor.' 'Trust.' 'Faith.' 'Death.' The other words just skittered away, beyond his understanding...too different, too changed to grasp so quickly. Impressions came to him of proving himself worthy, proving his people were worthy....

Jack was looking at him expectantly and Daniel hesitated before answering the implied question. He wished he could get past this feeling. He knew, in a way he couldn't explain, that it was important in this place for him to do so, but...

It was hard. The feelings were still there, the distrust he'd seen in his friends' eyes, the pity...the belief that what Machello's machines had caused in him was, in fact, his own failing sanity.....

Daniel shivered at the memory.

Jack was looking at him again...Daniel knew that Jack understood what he was feeling, but knowing didn't change anything. Daniel had to find it in himself to recapture the faith he'd lost...in himself, and...to a great extent...in them.

Somehow, soon...it had to be resolved.

Or he...maybe both of them...would die.

Jack reached out a hand to touch Daniel's shoulder, still asking.

"Um...I think this is another test..."

"Of..."

"I think...you're here to stand by me in this...trial...."

Jack's expression was still asking the question Daniel so obviously didn't want to answer.

"It's a test of...faith, Jack." Daniel said it quickly, almost angrily.

"Great," Jack said, dryly. His tone eloquently reflected Daniel's own realization that the 'spirits' had lousy timing. "So when does this test start?"

The mist swirled away, revealing a vast valley stretching out below them as they stood on a cliff face...not just any kind of cliff face...

It reminded Daniel of the monolithic formations of Monument Valley in the Southwestern United States...

Daniel took a step backward instinctively.

"I, uh, think it just did."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||