THE SPHINX CONSPIRACY: Part 7

by:  Lyn
Feedback to:  lyntownsend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


" Where are we heading, Colonel?" Sam asked, as she backed her car out of the car park.

"I don't know yet, Major" Jack sighed, as he scrubbed his hands over tired eyes. " Just drive. Hopefully, it'll come to me."

"Maybe we should start at the University and backtrack?" Sam suggested.

"Sounds like a plan "Jack nodded.

Sam drove slowly down the mountain road, trying not to think of the hundred awful scenarios that kept pushing into her mind. Jack's eyes were glued to the road, peering closely back the way they had come, then swinging around to the path that lay ahead. The gut feeling that he'd had earlier in the day had grown stronger and Jack had a pervading sense that their time was growing short.

"Wait, back there. What's that?"

Sam slammed on the brakes, but Jack was already halfway out of the car. He ran back and bent to brush at the tar with his fingertips. "Skid marks and shattered glass" he said, almost to himself. Standing, he crossed to the rock face and then turned back to Carter who was just emerging from the car. "Someone hit the rocks here recently."

He ran to the other side of the road and leant over the guardrail to peer down the steep embankment. "Oh, Jesus, Daniel" Jack's heart climbed into his throat, then slammed down to his feet, rocking him back on his heels. The car, his car, lay tilted on its side, crumpled like a discarded piece of tinfoil. Turning back to Carter he yelled. "We've found him. Get help here. I'm going down."

"Yes, sir" Carter ran back to the car and scooped up her cell phone, punching in the numbers as she watched Jack vault the guardrail. "Oh, God, Daniel, please be okay" she whispered.

Jack slid and skidded his way down the slope, his heart hammering in his chest. As he reached the wreck, he stood stock-still, as though unsure how to proceed. He could see no one on this side of the car or on the ground. He picked his way carefully around the debris and then drew in a shocked breath. Daniel lay on his back, his face ashen. His eyes were closed and Jack could not tell if he was breathing. He dropped to his friend's side, laying a shaking hand against the ghost white face. "He's so cold" Jack muttered, moving his fingers to feel for Daniel's carotid pulse. He exhaled a long held breath as he felt the faint, slow thrumming beneath his fingertips. Looking around, he saw Daniel's jacket lying a few feet away. He grabbed it and laid it gently over the injured man, then looked him over more critically.

Daniel had a deep gash above his right eye that had bled profusely but had now stopped. His right eye was swollen, as was his cheek on the same side. Jack could see that Daniel's lower right leg was trapped in the wreckage, it, too had bled heavily and Jack shuddered at what damage may be concealed within. The left ankle had an obvious fracture and Jack worried also about internal injuries. He reached beneath the jacket and found Daniel's icy hand. He squeezed the cold flesh, urging the circulation to keep flowing. "Can't leave you alone for a minute, can I?" he whispered

The voice startled him, as weak as it was.

"Jack?"

"Easy, buddy. I'm here. Help's on its way." he said, stroking Daniel's forehead.

"Dream?" Daniel mumbled.

"No, Daniel, it's not a dream, but I'm here now and you're going to be fine. Just hang onto me, Danny." He felt the weak answering squeeze in his hand and lowering his head, prayed that Daniel was strong enough to fight a little longer. Hearing a commotion up the hill, he looked up to see a Search and Rescue team heading down to them. Giving Daniel's hand another squeeze, he spoke quietly to him "Help's here. You hang in there, buddy. It's almost over."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||