THE SPHINX CONSPIRACY: Part 6

by:  Lyn
Feedback to:  lyntownsend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Jack grimaced at the phone clenched in his hand. "Listen, ma'am, I am a U.S. Airforce Colonel. I'm not after any deep secrets here. I just want to know if Doctor Daniel Jackson signed in there yesterday to visit someone?"

The receptionist sighed. "Okay, yes he did. He arrived about 2pm and left again at about 4pm."

"Alright, great" Jack said. "Wait a minute, you said he left at 4pm. Did he leave with anyone else?"

"No, sir. He was alone."

Jack closed his eyes and rubbed at the tension building above them. "Who did he come to see?"

The woman hesitated a moment.

"Please" Jack said.

"He came to see Professor Cross" she answered quietly.

"Okay then" Jack replied; now they were finally getting somewhere. "Let me speak to him."

The woman paused again for a moment, then spoke, her voice suddenly shaky. "Professor Cross was attacked and killed in his home last night."

"What?" Jack sat bolt upright in his chair and then seeing General Hammond standing in his doorway, motioned him in anxiously. He managed a few more scant details from the upset receptionist, then thanked her and hung up.

"Colonel?" the General looked questioningly at him. "Any news on Doctor Jackson?"

"I think Daniel may be in some trouble, sir. The friend he went to see yesterday turned up murdered in his home last night, apparently in a bungled home invasion."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Colonel, but I don't see what you're basing your supposition on."

"It's just a hunch, sir, gut feeling, I don't know" Jack shrugged. "I just know Daniel. He's got my car, he wouldn't just not show up or at least try to contact me."

"Very well, Colonel. I'll have the local police put out an APB on him and send some men out to his apartment."

Jack nodded and motioned to Sam. "Thankyou, sir. We're going to go and look for him as well."

The General nodded. "Keep in touch."


Daniel was beyond pain now. He lay exhausted on his back and watched as an eagle slowly circled high above him. He knew he could not survive his injuries or his exposure to the elements for much longer. Although he felt desperately sad at leaving his friends and life behind, he wondered if he might be reunited with Sha'uri in the afterlife. The trouble was, he did not know if he believed in an afterlife. He knew he wanted to believe, but he had always been such a pragmatic, logical thinker. He smiled gently as he remembered Sha'uri's impatience with him as she pointed out the beauty of the moons and stars above Abydos, only to have him equate it to yet another Stargate address and go rushing off to find his notes. How he wished now that he could have that time over to simply drink in the wonders of her world.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||