THE SPHINX CONSPIRACY: Part 3

by:  Lyn
Feedback to:  lyntownsend@hotmail.com



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


"Daniel! How are you, mate? Good to see you again" Dave Cross said, holding out a massive hand in greeting.

Daniel grinned widely at the ebullient Australian professor and shook his hand. "Hello, Dave, it's good to see you too."

"Let's go to my office, Daniel, I've got some interesting artifacts to show you from Giza. I hope you still enjoy good coffee." Dave indicated the way down the corridor as he slapped the younger man on the back.

"Coffee would be great" Daniel agreed.

Professor Dave Cross had been a mentor of Daniel's since his university days. Although he did not completely hold with Daniel's theories regarding the puzzle of the pyramids and why they were built, he had actively encouraged his student to vigorously pursue his theories without fear of ridicule. His encouragement had led to Daniel being laughed out of the established "old boys' club" of archaeology, but Dave had never been a part of that circle anyway, considered by most to be too rough around the edges. He was, however, still held in high esteem by the old guard.

Daniel was led into a roomy office and offered a seat in an overstuffed leather armchair that had seen better days. Dave set about percolating fresh coffee as they exchanged small talk and he caught Daniel up on news of his wife, Cathy and their two young daughters. "So, Dave, what have you got to show me?" Daniel asked.

Dave lowered his voice a notch. "Actually, Daniel, I've got you here under slightly false pretences."

Daniel raised his eyebrows but did not interrupt.

"I do have something important to show you - a videotape. I need you to safeguard it for me. I thought that with your association with the military, you might be able to keep this under wraps for awhile. My life has been threatened, and that of my family and I don't know who to trust any more."

Daniel sat forward, his eyes wide. "What the hell have you gotten yourself involved in, Dave? Wait a minute, do I want to know?" He shook his head. "Yes, yes, of course I do. What's going on?"

Dave sat back and studied Daniel for a moment. He was well aware that he could be endangering the young man's life by taking him into his confidence. He had long believed, however that whatever the archaeologist was engaged in with the military had to be risky, and perhaps connected to what he had to tell him.

"You're familiar, with the stories regarding the Hall of Records at Giza?"

"Yes, of course" Daniel replied, his interest piqued. "It's been said that Edgar Cayce prophesied that a doorway would be found between the paws of the Great Sphinx and it would be found to be the Hall of Records. Bauval believes that there will be papyrus records and the like found, others believe a statue of King Cheops gazing toward the constellation of Orion. Still, others believe it's a fabrication presented by The Association of Research and Enlightenment to substantiate Cayce's prophecies. There's supposed to be a big millenium celebration on New Year's Eve with a golden capstone of various alloys being placed on the Great Pyramid prior to the doorway being opened. There was talk that the Egyptian authorities have already had a sneak peek. God, Dave, what have you got on video and why you?"

"It would appear the vault has already been opened" Dave answered. "My belief is that it supports Cayce's prophecy."

"What do you mean, your belief? Doesn't the videotape show it?" Daniel asked.

"It shows work being done on exposing the doorway, a camera being introduced through the small hole in the corner of the door. Our man was wearing a miniature camera, he caught that much. Unfortunately, he was killed in a hit-run accident before he could send more footage." Dave traced quotation marks in the air to show what he thought of the accident theory.

"Your man?" Daniel asked and ran his hands through his cropped hair. "Jesus, Dave, I think you had better start at the beginning."

"Okay" the professor sat back in his chair. "My man was a member of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities. He'd heard that certain factions of the Egyptian government had pushed for a secret opening of the doorway. Apparently, they were hoping that if it proved Cayce's prophecy correct, they would have time before the millenium event to petition to have the whole thing called off, accuse the U.S of interfering in Egyptian cultural affairs or simply release a statement saying that the vault was empty. A good way they thought to ridicule the U.S. and Cayce's followers. Our man got this footage to us, with the promise of more coming, proof of what they found behind the door, when he was killed in a hit-run accident. You and I both know they drive like maniacs over there, Daniel, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. When I tried to push for more information, I was politely told to mind my own business."

"But you didn't" Daniel interjected.

Dave shook his head. "No, then yesterday, I received a phone call telling me to back off and hand over the tape or more accidents could occur to my family and myself."

"Look, Dave, I think you should go to the police with this" Daniel said.

"With what evidence?" Dave replied. "Daniel, please, just take the tape back with you, they're hardly going to break into a military establishment and you're not known to them anyway. You've kept a pretty low profile for the last few years. In a month or so, they'll either call off the laying of the capstone or go ahead with it. Once it's over, I can present this evidence and more, if I can get it and expose their lies."

"I think you should lay low for a while, not go stirring up more trouble" Daniel answered.

"I've sent Cathy and the girls home to Sydney to visit her family. They'll be safe there," Dave said. "Please, Daniel, take the tape."

Daniel thought for a moment, then stood up. "Okay, I'll take the tape, but I want you to promise me that you'll stay in touch and if you receive any more threats, you'll go to the police"

Dave held his hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, okay, I promise."


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||