SOUL SALVATION

by: Tanya
Feedback to: ptkrogfo@silk.net

Author's Notes:  Once again, Chris. For everything (especially the title)



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Daniel sat huddled amidst the bundle of blankets piled on his bed. His back was pressed against the headboard, his knees drawn up to his chest with his arms wrapped protectively around them.  His chin rested on his knees. His gaze fell unseeingly on the wall at the far end of the room. Instead, his mind returned to the scene of the last mission. A time he knew he would never forget.


The mission was supposed to be an easy one. A quick go in, say hi to the natives, and return. If they were lucky enough to secure a mining treaty on their first visit, all the better. It should have been simple. The inhabitants had no technology, or weaponry to speak of. What they did have was a beautiful, unspoiled world, full of resources. Just the kind of place that Earth was interested in.

The mission began as planned. The gate opened to a clearing, surrounded by lush trees and heavy underbrush. A slight path meandered off into the distance, forming an alley between the trees. Birds were chirping and insects trilled. It was very peaceful. Within minutes however, the team heard some soft noises, and was greeted by a handful of natives coming down the path towards them

The team had gone into a defensive position, weapons at the ready, but on Jack's cue, relaxed their stance as they took in the approaching group.  Three men entered the clearing.  They all wore loincloths of tanned leather, liberally decorated with beads. All sported dark hair and eyes. To Daniel's eye, they reminded him of North American West Coast natives. None of the natives appeared overly surprised at their arrival. While they seemed nervous, none seemed hostile.

Jack spoke over his shoulder to the others. "Anyone else get the impression that we were expected?" He continued to eye the group that hung back at the entrance to the clearing. After a quick exchange amongst themselves, one of the men broke ranks and took a step in their direction.

The eldest among them approached tentatively. He was a large man, although not as tall as O'Neill, or as broad as Teal'c. His face was weather worn, yet kindness was apparent in the crinkles around his eyes. He held out his hands in a cupping motion as he closed the distance. "Eeway nu denay?", he spoke, addressing his words to the group.

SG1 turned to Daniel in concert. He looked at the man approaching and mimicked the hand motion. "Ipuway ne sat joorfo. Icklick ba Daniel." Daniel cast a side glance as his questioning team. "He asks 'Who are you' and I answered 'We come in peace. My name is Daniel'.” Daniel looked at the native in front of him with interest, before turning back to his friends. "He's speaking a pidgin dialect. Almost like Spanish, or rather, a derivative of it." Excitement made his words come faster. "I think they came from Earth."

The man in front of Daniel waited patiently for him to stop speaking, before resuming. "Oprem ne a retrium?"

Daniel turned to the team. "He asks if we will follow him?"

Jack raised his hand as he stepped forward. "Lead the way."

The native apparently understood the gesture, as he turned and started walking down the path. SG1 followed, and the rear of the group was brought up by the remaining locals.

The path wore on for quite a distance, with the scenery staying constant. Trees and underbrush surrounded them, opening only to reveal the sky above. Daniel moved up to converse with the native at the head of the line. Jack, Sam and Teal'c kept a look out, but found nothing of concern.

Gradually, the forest gave way to open space, marked by agriculture. They were led through fields of corn and potato until they came upon the settlement. All around were signs of life. Men, women and children moved around at their tasks and play, until they spotted the four strangers. Movement abruptly ceased and the eyes of all turned to look at them.

The team stood awkwardly, until a man stepped forward. He appeared to be very old. The skin of his face resembled old leather, worn and tough. He was bald, and where his hair should have been he wore an elaborate cap decorated with beads and feathers. On his bare chest hung several amulets, held by cords of sinew.

Sam caught her breath when she saw the shape of the largest amulet. She nudged the Colonel with her elbow, and whispered under her breath "Sir."

Jack looked at her and noticed the object of her attention. It was the symbol for Earth. Daniel and Teal'c took notice of it as well, but none remarked on it. This did not appear to be the time for discussion.

The old man approached. He came to a standstill in front of Daniel who was slightly ahead of the others. "Icklick ba Sulet. Meya po retru novanue."

Daniel gave a slight bow, and reintroduced himself. He gestured towards Jack. "Mynov ho Jack.  Pa mo retru novanue." The old man directed a bow at Jack who returned the action.

Daniel continued to introduce the others who also received and gave bows. The old man turned to the lead escort and spoke, too rapidly for Daniel to completely follow. He then turned and walked away. Their escort looked them over. He spoke directly to Daniel, but meant his words for them all. When finished, he and the rest of the escort party bowed, then dispersed leaving the team alone.

"So what was all that about Danny?" Jack asked without his usual sarcasm.

"That old man was Sulet. He is the leader of this tribe. He has given instruction for us to join him in at dinner tonight. By speaking his language, we have proven our worthiness to be here amongst them. Until then, he has allowed us the freedom to look around the village. We will be shown a place to rest when one has been prepared."

Sam looked at him. "Did you notice his amulet?"

"Yeah. I think these people are another transplanted Earth culture. They appear to follow the path of the Quaqutil people. Certainly the language is similar."

Jack looked at his friend and the thought occurred to him that once again, Daniel's unique skills had paved the way for a peaceful encounter. "Good job Danny."

Daniel flushed slightly under the unexpected praise. Jack didn't give compliments often, and when he did, they were not to be taken lightly.

"Okay gang. The man said we could look around, so I say we do just that." With that, Jack started to move in the direction the leader had taken.

The locals had since stopped staring, and gone back to their routine, although more than one looked up to watch curiously as the friends walked by. Several women were pounding grain with heavy mortar and pestles. Two would lift the heavy stone, while a third fed grain into the bowl. They passed two more women, this time much older, weaving baskets in the shade. The women barely gave them a glance. Delicious smells wafted up from skins, hanging supported on wooden tripods over fire, and wisps of smoke curled up from cooking pits. Young women tended these under the expert eye of an elderly lady. She gave them a nervous look as they came close. The team continued on to pass by huge, lashed wooden frames that stood supported over small, smoky fires processing  fish. Naked children ran to and fro amongst the frames, alternately laughing and screaming as they played some sort of game.

Jack noticed the low slung, thatched mounds they were passing at regular intervals. He pulled to a stop in front of one to take a closer look.  The circular shape was quite large, It measured around 15 feet at it's diameter, and was broken only by two holes. One at one side with a rough ladder protruding from it, the other was smaller and in the centre.

Daniel noticed his CO's attention. He walked closer. "It's a hut Jack. These people dig out holes in the ground, or the side of a hill depending on the terrain. The dirt helps to act as an insulator. These will house quite a large family. They need to as generations of a family will live in a single dwelling."

Jack gave a final glance at the 'house' then nodded at Daniel who made way for the Colonel to move ahead.

As they continued through the village, Jack took note of the furtive glances directed their way. While he knew they were a curiosity, and expected to be watched, he was aware that something else was there. He sensed an undercurrent of fear.

Sam had also noticed something, but it wasn't the same. "Has anyone else noticed there are no men here?"

Again Daniel spoke. "They are most likely hunting or fishing. Typically, all men participate in such activities, with only the young and old staying behind. As with Earth cultures, they most likely have to rely on their stores to survive the winter. This is fascinating. It's like looking into Earth's own native history, only not in a museum or books. We are getting a glimpse of life as it really was lived." Daniel's enthusiasm brought smiles to all members of the team, including Teal'c, although his was slight. Really, it was an uplifting of eyebrows, but the motion was understood.

Teal'c glanced around as they continued on. They were approaching a huge fire pit, with it's contents ready to be lit. Crude wooden benches surrounded the pit. It appeared to be a gathering place. He started to approach but was stopped by motion caught in the corner of his eye. A man, similar in dress and age to the leader, was peeking at the team from behind a tree. His expression was decidedly unpleasant. Teal'c motioned to Jack, but the man had already left. Teal'c studied the area, but could spot nothing to indicate where the man had gone.

The team meandered around, finally ending up in the same location where they had met the leader. It took a while. The village was larger than it had initially looked. Once again they were approached, this time by a young women. Daniel spoke to her, but she declined to answer. Instead, she beckoned them to follow. The four were led to a hut near to the fire. She indicated for them to enter. Jack gave her a quick, searching look, but found nothing alarming in her countenance. Shrugging, he climbed down the ladder into the hut.

The dim room was low slung, forcing both Jack and Teal'c to stoop. The only light came in from the dual openings. Pallets covered with furs lined the outer edges of the room.  A small, unlit fire ringed with stones sat waiting in the centre. Several clay pots of various sizes sat near the fire pit. Jack moved closer to check their contents. One appeared to contain water, one held a black, greasy substance, and the third held small pieces of heavily pitched bark. Apart from that, the room was empty. 

"Cozy," Jack muttered. He moved to a pallet and lowered his weight upon it. The rickety looking structure was surprisingly sound. Quickly, Jack flopped on to his back, his head resting on the furs. "You know, I could get used to this," he remarked.

Teal'c, Daniel and Sam sat together on the nearest pallet to their friend. As the room dimmed, Daniel looked up and saw Sulet approaching the entrance, his bulk blocking the light. "Jack, we have company."

Jack sat up and watched the leader approach. Daniel stood, his head almost brushing the ceiling. He gave a slight bow to the elderly man.

Sulet studied the group. He felt they had not come to help, but their demeanour did not strike him as hostile. He came to see what it was they wanted. Through a long conversation, understood by only two of those assembled, Daniel managed to explain their desire to the elder. When the talking finally ceased, he gave them a final look, a slight bow, then left.

Daniel looked at the others. "Well………that was interesting."

Sam looked at him. "What was? What did he say?"

Daniel sat down. It was going to take a while to translate. . "I told him what it was we were here for. He seems agreeable enough to us mining, but says it's not up to him, at least not right now."

Jack looked at Daniel, confusion plainly written on his face. "I don't understand. I thought you said he was the leader?"

"Yeah, I did, and he is. It's just that………..well, it seems that there have been some strange occurrences going on here."

Jack cocked his head to the side. Something told him he wasn't going to like this. "Strange how?"

"It seems as though people have gone missing."

Sam spoke up. "This is a forest. People have been lost in them. I don't know what's on this planet, but on ours, people have run into wildlife that have unfortunately cost them their lives. It's sad, but it happens."

"They know that too Sam. That's not what he means. These disappearances have been too regular for that. Sulet said that the village has about 250 inhabitants. They have lost one person a month, for the last year . Always young women, all twelve of them."

"And yet they leave them unprotected," Sam muttered.

Daniel caught her words. "It's not like that Sam. It only happens during the full moon. At that time, all the men are returned home to protect the people."

It was Jack's turn to mutter. "They don't seem to do a very good job of it then."

Daniel knew that Jack felt strongly about protecting the innocent. It was just that feeling that had saved his butt on more than one occasion. "It's not that simple Jack. Apparently it happens in that night when the people are asleep. No one is woken up, yet a girl is always missing. If it happens again, it will be number thirteen, a very powerful number to the spiritual."

"When is the next full moon on this planet Daniel Jackson?"

"Actually Teal'c, it's in two days."

Teal'c looked at Jack. "Then perhaps we can stay and see if we might be of some assistance." He phrased it as more of a statement that a question.

"Sure Teal'c. Hammond gave us whatever time we needed to clinch a treaty with these people. If we can help them out in the meantime, why not. It can't hurt the negotiations, now can it?" With that, Jack lay back down and covered his eyes with his arm. "If we're going to stay on, I'm grabbing a nap. This bed feels really good on my sciatica." 

The three friends grinned. Jack was such a pushover. It was a part of his nature to help the underdog.

"You guys can go mingle if you want. Make some friends." Already Jack sounded sleepy.

"Shall we?" Sam asked, already ascending the ladder. She blinked as the brightness of the day hit her eyes. Spying the women pounding grain, she walked over to offer her help. Through a series of pantomimes, she conveyed her desire to help to the women, and was soon sweating as she repetitively lifted the heavy stone.

Daniel smiled as he watched. He was impressed with how Sam had made herself understood. He decided to seek out the Leader and see if he couldn't get some more information.

Teal'c looked around. He spied a well that he had previously missed. A pretty young woman who appeared to be in her late teens was approaching, a heavy pot balanced on her head. He approached. The girl's eyes widened at the sight of the huge Jaffa, but his outstretched hands served to placate her. He slowly reached up to relieve her of her burden, and carried it the rest of the way to the well. He dumped the contents into the deep hole and indicated for her to show him more. Timidly, she complied and led the way to the nearby lake where he began a series of trips, refilling the well in short order.

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly. Dinner it seemed was a communal affair. After pounding the grain, Sam was shown the art of making wheat cakes. She caught on quickly, having made a similar bannock as a youngster.

Dusk was falling as Jack emerged from the hut, refreshed and alert. Mouth watering smells came from the cooking skins and pits, and wheat cakes baked on rocks ringing the fires. The men who had been out hunting were arriving in groups, some sporting game slung over broad shoulders, others empty handed, while others carried clutches of fish. All took their bounty to their huts to present  to the women who would prepare the meat for consumption and storage.

Sulet emerged from his hut, followed closely by Daniel who had spent the afternoon in conversation with him, much to the younger man's delight.

The team was led to one of the benches surrounding the huge unlit fire. As they sat, they were presented with clay plates, heaped with food. Soon they were joined by the leader. As they started to eat, another man joined their ranks. It was the one Teal'c had noticed previously. He was dressed in the same style as the Chief, with the exception of the large stone knife that hung from a cord around his waist. In fact, he looked to be related. The exception was his eyes. While those of the Chief's twinkled with humour and wisdom, those of the new arrival were clouded. His appearance was harsh. His nose appeared hawk like and his mouth a grim slit. He bore a look of utter distaste as he eyed the three male members of the team. A discomforting look crossed his face as his eyes lit on Sam though, a look that was not missed by the team. As Jack looked at the man, he realised that this one bore watching, carefully. The man took a proffered plate, and sat in the shadows. While the team felt his continued scrutiny, they chose to ignore him as set about eating their meal, which they heartily enjoyed.

The plates were taken from them by the same girls who had delivered them. It appeared as though families took their meals together, at their own hearths. They were allowed to join the Chief as his guests. As they sat in the dimming light, the Chief began to talk. He paused frequently so that Daniel might translate. He began by introducing the other man. His name was Ezamane. He was the Shaman, or Holy man of the tribe. He tended to the spiritual needs of the people. It was his job to explain the ways of their spirits, and to tend to the sick, although a woman versed in the healing properties of nature also contributed to the welfare of the people. Sulet broke off the conversation when men arrived bearing torches, the flames illuminating the immediate area. Their job done, the men faded back into the night.

Daniel took the break in the conversation to inquire about the curious reaction of the people to the team's appearance on the planet. No-one seemed particularly surprised by their arrival, and certainly not frightened by it. Sulet explained that Ezamane had recently had a vision. In it, a monumental event occurred, marking the start of a new age. The arrival of the team was taken to be the fulfilment of that prophecy. No one had come through the great circle in all the years of their memory, and to have it coincide with the prophecy could not be ignored.  

The Chief went on to explain some of the history of his people. He talked for a long time, and night had fallen heavily by the time he rose to leave. He finished by inviting the men to join in the next days fishing expedition. Jack didn't need to be asked twice. Good food and fishing fell into his definition of an ideal mission.

The team were led back to their hut by an escort bearing a torch. The native followed them inside and reached in to the pot beside the fire which contained the bark. He placed a piece of the heavily pitched wood in the centre of the unlit fire. He then touched the torch to the bark. The pitch instantly caught and the blaze was established. The man then left. The crackling fire cast a warm glow about the room and the heat lost no time chasing away the chill. Having spent the day working, Sam and Daniel needed no encouragement to lay down among the luxurious furs.

Jack on the other hand was wide awake. His nap that afternoon had served to invigorate him, which was his plan. He wanted to scout out the area a little. People didn't just disappear without a trace, and he wanted to see if he could find any. He approached Teal'c who had an inkling of the Colonel's intentions.

Teal'c pulled his flashlight from his pack, while Jack tucked his sidearm into it's holster, having already retrieved his flashlight. Together they made their  way quietly up the ladder, and into the night.

Jack had spent many years practising survival techniques, tracking being one of the main skills. Teal'c was  also well versed in the art. They quickly spied the broken twigs and snapped bracken that spoke of movement through the woods and moved to follow the trail. After going some distance, they stopped to rest, the trail abruptly going cold. 

Teal'c looked at Jack's determined expression. He had seen it before. "What is it O'Neill?"

Jack looked at him a moment before speaking. "I don't know Teal'c. There's something about this place. I can feel it in my gut."

Teal'c understood what Jack meant. He had been told the meaning of that phrase some time earlier, and had experiences similar feelings through his symbiote. "What does your 'gut' tell you this time?"

"It's telling me we're on the right track to finding those missing girls." Jack looked around. He closed his eyes and listened to the night.

 Teal'c watched him curiously. He had noticed on many occasions that Jack seemed to have a heightened sense of intuition. Whether it came from years of training, or was just a part of his make-up was unclear, but he did know that more than once, the Colonel had led them to findings that others would have passed by, Teal'c included.

As Jack ignored his other senses and concentrated on his hearing, he noticed a strange silence ahead and to his left. He opened his eyes and grabbed Teal'c's arm. He pointed in the direction his feelings were leading him. "Let's go."

Some time later, they came upon a small clearing. The moon was bright and illuminated the area clearly. A large flat stone sat in the centre, surrounded by four sturdy poles sunk vertically in the earth. The woods wrapped around the place fully, with the exception of one side. That was dominated by a large, craggy rock wall, full of indents and hollows. The whole place had an eerie feel to it, and a shiver found it's way up Jack's spine. Not a sound was heard, save the heart beats and breathing of the two men.

"Let's spread out and look around," Jack whispered. The quietly spoken words seemed out of place.

Teal'c nodded his acknowledgement. He moved to the left while Jack took the right.

Only moments passed before Teal'c called out. "O'Neill. I have found something."

Jack wasted no time in moving to the Jaffa's position. What he found upon arrival, was the mouth to a cave. The entrance was low, and the stench overwhelming. Jack recognised that smell, as did Teal'c. A look of deep sadness was apparent on both faces.

Jack untucked his T-shirt and raised the bottom up to cover his nose and mouth. He held it in place as he lowered himself to his knees. With one hand holding the shirt, and the other taken up with a flashlight, he shuffled awkwardly into the cave. The narrow entrance opened up to a wider cavern. Jack panned the light about. Only conditioned response kept him from dropping it as he caught sight of the grisly scene in front of him. To one side, a small altar had been established. Torches waiting to be lit stood on either side of a stone shelf. It was adorned with the heads of the missing girls. As Jack fought to hold his gorge, he shone the flashlight around the small room. The bodies, in varying stages of decay, had been dumped in a heap at the far end, discarded and forgotten. Even in the dimness of the cave, Jack could see cuts on the nearest girl. Her bare torso faced him, the cuts forming a pattern he didn't understand. From the amount of dried blood, it was obvious the marks had been placed while she still breathed.

Jack backed out of the cave as fast as he could, and barely made it to the tree line where he wretched uncontrollably. Finally he moved a few feet and slumped down to the ground, resting his back on a stump.

He looked over at Teal'c who stayed discretely away. "We found them.”

Teal'c looked on. "I surmised as much."

"They weren't much more than children Teal'c."

The Jaffa was more than aware of the Colonel's fondness for children. His whole demeanour changed when he was surrounded by the young. The burden of leadership seemed to slip away, as did the lines cause by a lifetime of seeing the dark side of the world.

Jack continued. "We need to find out who did this." He started to rise and pull up his shirt once again.

"What are you doing O'Neill?"

"I have to go back in there."

"For what purpose? You have seen what lies within."

"I need to look around. There has to be something in there that will tell us who did this." Determination stamped itself on Jack's still pale features.

"I will go O'Neill. I think that one time in that place is enough."

Jack couldn't argue. In fact, he was grateful to not have to go back. He knew that one view would be forever stamped in his mind, finding it's place among the many atrocities he had witnessed in his career. Jack had seen much death in his life. It was a harsh fact of life, especially when brought about through violence, but the death of children was one pill he always had difficulty swallowing.

As Teal'c entered the cave, his large frame having difficulty with the small opening, Jack moved to the stone tablet. At the head of the stone was a small indentation. It was circular in shape and worn flat at the bottom. Not understanding it's purpose, Jack turned his examination onwards. Dark areas hinted at by the moon proved to be  deep brown stains when exposed to the glare of the flashlight. They were somewhat faded by the elements, and dry to the touch, but there was no mistaking the fact that it was blood. Apparently this stone was the site of the executions.

When Teal'c emerged moments later, he too appeared shaken. He looked at Jack squarely. "You are correct O'Neill. We need to find this person."

"Did you find anything that might tell us who it is?"

"I could see nothing except for this." Teal'c held up a flint flake.

"What is it?"

"It appears to be a stone shard. I believe it to be from the instrument responsible for the deaths." Despite his stoicism, Teal'c was disturbed by what he had seen. In his years with Apophis he had seen much. More than he wanted to in fact, but nothing as deliberately brutal as this.

"Where was it?"

"I found it embedded in a girl's neck."

Jack looked at him in shock. Already the faces of the girls haunted him.

Silence fell over the two who stood lost in thought,  matched by the absence of forest sounds. Even the creatures of the wild seemed to recognise the evil of the place.

Finally Jack stirred from his trance. "I think we should get back. Teal'c, I don't think we should tell the others how bad this place was. I'll let them know we found the girls and leave it at that. They don't need to know any more. I think we need to watch the villagers carefully between now and the full moon." Jack had an idea who in particular he would watch. A face flashed in front of him. A man who wielded a rather large stone knife.

It was almost dawn before the friends arrived back in their hut. They had  watched the village carefully to make sure they weren't spotted before entering. They had barely made it to their pallets before the sounds of life came from outside. It seemed they had just managed to beat the early rising people.

Just as Jack closed his eyes to grab a quick rest, Daniel woke.

"Good morning everyone. Rise and shine. We have things to do today." Clearly Daniel had slept well.

Jack reached to the ground and grabbed his boot which he threw with deadly accuracy.

"Ouch. What did you do that for? Man, you are really not a morning person are you Jack?"

Sam had just woken to take in the scene and was grinning childishly. "Naw. He's more of a night owl. Aren't you Sir?" Her smile faded quickly when she took in his expression.

"Stow it Major," Jack growled.

"Hey Jack, come on. It was just a joke." Daniel was shocked by Jack's behaviour. It might be early, but still………

Teal'c stepped in. "We have in fact just returned Daniel Jackson."

"Returned from where?"

Jack felt badly about his previous reaction. They had no way of knowing what he and Teal'c had done. "Sorry guys. We went out last night to see if we could find out anything about the missing girls."

Daniel sat waiting for him to continue, which Jack did not. "And…….," he prompted.

Jack's expression was frightening. "And…….we found them. All of them."

Sam knew instantly what he meant. "They're dead, aren't they Sir?"

"Oh yeah". Jack's face went blank for a minute as the horrific image flashed in front of him. "They're dead."

Daniel looked sadly at his friend. It was obvious that Jack was greatly disturbed by his discovery. "How?"

"They were murdered Daniel." Those words were spoken with the finality of the subject being closed.

Daniel knew better than to push it. "So. Now what do we do? Do you want to tell Sulet?"

"Not yet Daniel. We don't know who did it, and until we do, I don't want anyone to know what we found. For now, I want you to go about the day as planned. Just keep your eyes open for anything suspicious." With that, Jack lifted himself tiredly from the bed and moved to the base of the ladder. "Remember, be careful. We don't know what we're dealing with yet." Jack turned and climbed the ladder.

Daniel and Sam wondered about the cryptic nature of that last remark. Looking at each other, they gave a little shrug and followed.

The three men spent the day fishing with some of the tribesmen. Even Jack broke a smile when he finally managed to spear a fish, much to the delight of his instructor. Despite the language barrier, they had found ways of communicating. Teal'c taught the Jaffa technique of fishing. He found a large, flat branch which he used as a paddle. He slapped it down on the water with a tremendous blow. After a moment, several stunned fish floated to the surface to be scooped up into nets. He received many admiring looks after that, and many of the men jokingly tried to repeat the performance.

Sam similarly spent the day learning. The women proved to be very knowledgeable, and friendly. They showed her how to do some rudimentary weaving, and how to skin a deer. The men had brought home several the night before, and the meat and hides needed tending to. Some meat was salted and packed, while the rest was cut into strips and hung on frames. The fires were tended to burn slowly and produce lots of smoke. The trick was to cure the meat over time, and not cook it too quickly.

The team met up over dinner which they once again took with the Chief, and the Shaman. Jack tried to eat, but every time he caught sight of the knife at Ezamane's waist, he pictured the girls. Finally he gave up the pretence of trying and set the plate on the ground at his feet. He would liked to have left, to have gone off for a walk and work off some of his frustration, but knew that any such action might be misconstrued. Instead, he forced himself to sit. The tension he felt manifested itself in the constant clenching and unclenching of his jaw.

Teal'c caught the motion and nodded slowly to himself. He understood the reason behind the action. He too was plagued by feelings of rage. He had seen and been responsible for too much death to believe his own hands were clean, but this was different. It seemed so senseless, and that was intolerable.

The team was tired after their meal. While the Chief had invited them to sit and talk, they declined and went to their hut. Only a short time passed before the rhythymic breathing of sleep could be heard. Jack was not among them, nor was Teal'c.

Despite his fatigue, having not slept the night before, Jack was too keyed up to rest. Visions of the girls came and went disturbing any chance he had. Finally giving up all pretence of trying, Jack left the hut. He stood in the cool, dark night air. Looking up at the stars, he tried to draw some comfort from their familiarity. While the constellations he knew so well had moved significantly, he was able to spy them. The sight helped to calm him with their timelessness.

Jack had learned a long time ago to trust in their constancy. When things got out of hand, he looked to the stars. He had set up his own rooftop observatory for that very reason, and found that he spent more time there than in his own home. Jack's life had consisted of one battle after another. Efforts to end a war that wouldn't die. Hatred seemed to be one thing that never diminished. It fed on greed, and despair, and seemed to be as universal as the stars. It was only lately that Jack had discovered another constant, and that was hope. It was something he worked to maintain. The friends he surrounded himself with contributed to that. They each brought with them different versions of hope, but all served to bolster him, and he tried hard to reciprocate that gift. Events like the discovery of the girls served to chip away at that, and Jack was determined to see an end to this particular horror.

Teal'c softly ascended the ladder and moved to stand beside his friend. He stood quietly, not wishing to disturb Jack's thoughts. He was taken by surprise when he felt a strong hand come to rest on his shoulder in unspoken gratitude.

Gradually Jack withdrew his gaze from the heavens and turned to his friend. His thoughts returned to their present task. "I think we need to learn more about this Shaman."

Teal'c nodded his approval and together they made their way to the man's hut. Jack lay down in the dirt around the entrance, and cautiously lowered his head in to take a look. In the dying light of the fire, Jack could see the Shaman curled up in a ball on the floor, sleeping. All around him on the floor were bowls of leaves, roots and things Jack didn't want to even try to identify. The man appeared to have fallen asleep where he stood. Glancing again at the bowls, Jack had to wonder if it was fatigue, or something else. He continued to scan the room. It was almost the same as his. Jack was about to withdraw his head until something caught his eye. Peeking out from under the unused pile of skins on the bed, was a statue. Jack didn't recognise it, but judging from the face, if it represented a deity, it probably wasn't a nice one. Pulling himself out of the opening, Jack reached out and grabbed Teal'c's proffered hand, and stood. With a quick incline of his head, he signalled for them to put some distance away from the hut.

The two moved to just within the tree line, but continued to speak in muted voices. The night air was infamous for carrying sounds.

Jack told Teal'c of his findings, few as they were. "I think I will ask young Daniel to spend some time tomorrow with this fellow. Maybe he can find out something about that statue". Jack chewed his lower lip as he thought. "You know Teal'c, I just know that's our guy. What I don't understand is what would make a Holy man turn on his own people."

"Power makes people do strange things O'Neill." Teal'c spoke from experience.

"I know Teal'c, but what does he stand to gain from this. Look at these people. They're not Goa'uld. They don't have money. Does he do it just for kicks, or is there some deeper meaning to all of this? Something we don't know about?" Jack thought back to the scene in the cave, forcing his mind past the horror, and concentrating on the facts. "The cuts on the girl's body. They didn't look random. I think they might have meant something." Jack bent down and cleared a small area on the forest floor. He grabbed a stick and drew the lines as he remembered them into the exposed earth. He stood up and took a step back. "Do you remember these Teal'c?"

"Yes O'Neill. I believe you remembered them correctly."

Jack felt around his pockets for something to write with. He finally came up with a pencil, but no paper. He looked around for something that would do. Finally he picked a broad leaf from a low lying plant, and copied the markings on to it. He put the leaf in his pocket to show to Daniel in the morning. Looking up through the tree tops, Jack spied the moon. "The full moon is tomorrow. Whatever is going to happen, will happen then. Keep a sharp eye out Teal'c."

"I will O'Neill. I do not believe we can do more tonight. Perhaps we should try to get some rest."

Jack nodded agreement, although he doubted he would sleep. Together they made their way back to the hut.

Morning came early. This time it was Jack who gave the wake-up call. One look at him and it was apparent that sleep had in fact eluded him. His eyes were red rimmed and sported huge bags underneath.

Teal'c looked at him with concern. While he had not slept either, he had managed to achieve a certain level of meditation. Enough that his body had rested and regained it's strength. This was the second night that Jack had not slept, and Teal'c knew it had to be taking it's toll.

Jack seemed unaware of his appearance, as he splashed some water on his face from the jug by the fire. Feeling somewhat refreshed, he moved over to Daniel. "I have something I need you to look at." He pulled the leaf from his pocket. "Do you recognise this?"

Daniel looked closely at the markings. "Not really Jack. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it resembled Mayan script. They had a similar marking."

"What would it mean in Mayan?"

"Loosely translated it means soul. I don't know what it means in this language. I don't think it's actually part of it. Where did you find it?"

Jack debated about saying anything, but decided to wait. After all, they could have been random markings. It didn't make sense that a Quacutil Shaman would have knowledge of early Mayan writings. "Just around. Listen, I have a job for you to do today. I want you to find out more about this Ezamane."

"The Shaman?"

Jack nodded.

"Why?"

"Just humour me would ya? That guy just rubs me the wrong way."

Daniel looked sceptical. "Jack, you haven't even spoken with him. Not that you could what with him speaking a different language and all. What I mean is, you've barely even been around him."

"What can I say Danny. It's just a gut feeling." Jack decided to end the discussion before he was pressed any more. He scaled the ladder, leaving his team-mates to follow.

Daniel was the last to leave the hut as he pondered Jack's words. He was annoyed that his friend had chosen to leave him in the dark. He knew there was a reason that Jack wanted him to talk to the Shaman, and it was more than just Jack having a feeling. Sighing, he realised that Jack would tell him when he was ready. In the meantime, he had hoped to talk to Ezamane. Jack just echoed his own wishes.

The day of the night of the full moon was a particularly special one for the people of Ecirp. They led hard lives, full of work and harsh conditions. Once a month they held a celebration. It was much anticipated, and heartily enjoyed. The women spent the day preparing special foods, singing songs and taking a break from their usual chores. The men held games of skill, strength and daring. Teal'c and Jack were coaxed into joining.

The games were more than just fun. For the locals, they were a relaxed way to practice life skills. If a man could not hunt and provide, he became a  burden to everyone. The natives were curious about the strangers and how they would fare. More than once the two friends both shocked and surprised them with their quick reflexes and skill. Jack threw a crude tomahawk with remarkable precision, while Teal'c launched the bola with great speed and accuracy. The games quickly turned to contests with each competitor closely judging the prowess of the others. Running contests were held, as well as marksmanship, using the bow and arrow. Jack and Teal'c were as impressed with the abilities of the men of Ecirp, as the men were by them. By the end of the day, mutual congratulations were given and received.

Sam's day was not as much fun. She looked on the men's activities with envy, knowing that her own skills rivalled those she watched. Early in the day she had tried to join in, but was soon shown that she was not welcomed. The people had a strict hierarchy. Men hunted and trained with men and the women tended the chores and raised the young. She ended up learning new ways to make venison stew, all the while wishing she could be somewhere else. The domestic scene was one she could do without.

Daniel was relieved to not have to participate in the games, knowing that was not his forte. When he first approached Ezamane, he was rebuffed. It took hours of following and speaking to the man before the Shaman finally relented and took the time to speak with him. To Daniel's delight, the man had many stories to share. As the Shaman spoke, they moved into his hut. Daniel noticed the same bowls as Jack.

It seemed that the life of a Shaman was a lonely one. As a holy man, he was not allowed to wed. Ezamane was very surprised when Daniel told him that there was a similar practice on Earth for many religions. Since Shaman produced no offspring, they were chosen for the position as children, and were apprenticed until they finally inherited the post. It seemed that all children of this world exhibited some enhanced intuitiveness at birth, but lost it as they grew, except in rare cases. In those children the intuitiveness actually grew. They were the children chosen to be Shaman. In the history of the civilisation, there had never been more than one child in a generation. They were raised apart from the rest of the villagers, in the Shaman's hut. For the parents it was a huge honour, for the child it was the end of their youth. Instead of playing and learning to cook, or hunt, the days were spent learning about the natural, and the supernatural world. They learned the narcotic and healing properties of plants, and rituals dated back to the dawn of time. They learned to enhance their own powers, usually with the aid of drugs. Thus they could speak to the spirits and relate the words to the people. In some extreme cases, the Shaman had actually been known to move things with their minds. Ezamane looked sideways at Daniel when he said this. "Or so say the legends. I have not witnessed it for myself". He began to grind the contents of one bowl with a smaller version of a pestle than the women used.

The story continued. In Ezamane's case, his mentor died when he was still young. Ezamane had been taught only the rudiments of the job, and had to learn the rest on his own. Not an easy task when one dealt with the spirit world. He was too old to go back to being a regular child, and too young for the position he held. Anger touched his voice as he said this, causing Daniel to look closely at him. The man seemed unaware of the scrutiny as he turned his attention to measuring the contents of different bowls into an empty pouch.

"Did you not still have your family to help you?"

Ezamane looked at him, bitterness in his voice. "My parents died not long after my mentor, and my only brother you have already met." At Daniel's quizzical expression he gave a grim smile. "My brother is Sulet. A man of greater power than myself. He speaks for the people. He can wed. He can sire children. He has the life that I do not.” The Shaman's gaze turned inwards as he lost himself momentarily in self-pity.

Daniel glanced about the room. The statue Jack spied had not moved and Daniel got a good look at it. It appeared to be Mayan as well. Daniel was puzzled how it came to be in this culture.

Ezamane moved beside him, turning Daniel's attention away. The man was fastening the pouch to his belt where it hung alongside the knife. He looked up to catch Daniel's attention. "You must leave now. I have to prepare myself for tonight's festivities."

Daniel thanked him for taking the time to talk, and began climbing the ladder. He could feel the intense stare of the Shaman boring into his back as he reached the entrance and entered the sunshine. As he stood under the unspoilt sky, he couldn't help but feel sorry for the man. Orphaned and left by his mentor to learn skills that required a lifetime of study. He wondered fleetingly how the man had learned to cope so well. The sounds of men cheering soon attracted his attention and he left to watch the games, all thoughts of the statue forgotten.

Dinner was shared by all for the celebration, aside from the children. They had been fed earlier and sent to bed. It was indeed a feast worthy of a special occasion. It went on for some time with one tantalising dish following another. The team was quick to realise that most of the dishes contained meat of some sort.

The people relied on the land to provide for their needs. Game was caught and all parts were used. The fat from the animals was particularly important to their survival, and was not allowed to go to waste. Without having the benefits of technology to provide heat, fire had to suffice. That and the combination of a high fat diet helped the people to survive the long cold winter.

All indulged happily with only two exceptions. Jack found the food impossible to swallow. This was the night the next disappearance was to happen, and he was too wound up knowing the potential results of that occurrence. The other one foregoing the feast was the Shaman. He had begun his fast at dawn, a requirement for easier connections to the spirit world.

At the conclusion of the meal, the Chief brought forth a pipe, which he lit and sucked on with great relish. This appeared to be a signal to the rest of the village, for at that point, several men joined them at the fire. The men seated themselves in a circle around the unlit pile. They set drums on the ground in front of them. They looked to the Chief who gave a nod. One at a time, they started to bang out a rhythm. Each man had his own beat. The tempo started out slowly, then built to interweave into a gripping frenzy. At the height of the music, it suddenly stopped, the tones lingering on the night air.

A figure stepped forward in the twilight, holding a torch. It was Ezamane.  His face was marked with bands of black, as was his bare chest. Jack wondered if it was the same substance found in their hut. He had no time to ponder the thought as Ezamane began the ceremony. He started to chant, slowly, methodically. Gradually he increased the tempo. He started to dance at which point the drums joined in. As before, the music and dancing built, the Shaman sweating visibly from his exertions. Finally the Shaman came to a halt in front of the fire, still holding the torch. He lifted it high overhead then stepped forward, stopping only when he touched the wood. The clearing was silent as the onlookers waited. Ezamane placed the torch in the heart of the woodpile, and started once again to chant. He tilted his head back to take in the stars, and let out a yell as the fire came to life. The villagers let out a cheer as the Shaman stepped back out of the heat of the flames. At his nod, the drummers once again took up their instruments and began to play. This time the music was lively and light. Even the Chief began tapping his toe.

The team looked around as the music took hold of the people. All around them couples started to dance in the light of the flames. Sam and Daniel decided to join them and were soon trying to match the steps of the intricate native dance.

Jack had other things on his mind however. He caught sight of Ezamane who stood on the other side of the fire. The Shaman was staring intently at the sight of Sam dancing. It didn't escape Jack's notice that the Shaman was fingering the     small pouch hanging from his belt in a rather possessive way.

As the drummers continued to play, the people became more and more relaxed. None, save one, noticed when Ezamane once again approached the fire. This time he held the pouch in front of him, the drawstring no longer holding it shut. The Shaman closed his eyes and started to chant under his breath. He swayed slightly in time to his own music. When he finished, he opened his eyes, and reached into the pouch. He withdrew a small handful of it's contents and threw it into the fire. He walked around the fire until he stood on the other side of it, where he once again threw powder into the flames.

Jack watched his actions carefully, not understanding what was going on until he began to feel light-headed. Then it hit him that the Shaman was drugging them. He pulled his T-shirt over his nose to filter the smoke, then ran to find his team-mates. Sam and Daniel were already lying on the ground, eyes closed. Teal'c was near them sitting up against a bench. He was not yet asleep, but the drug had him securely in it's grip. As Jack tried to rouse him, he too succumbed to the effects. The fire in front of him blurred, then went dark.


Jack became aware of a yanking motion on his arms. He opened his eyes. They were blurry, but started to clear quickly. He didn't take long to recognise the clearing he found himself in. It was clearly recognisable by the stone tablet in front of him. Torches were set around lending light to the full moon. Jack could see Teal'c and Daniel were leaning against poles beside him, still asleep. Jack could see the ropes around their ankles that bound them to the poles, and he assumed their hands were similarly tied from the way their arms reached behind them. That thought turned him to his own situation. He must have been the last one brought, as the ropes were not yet snug around his wrists. He flexed the muscles as much as possible down the length of his arms. The ropes were tightened and his captive moved into view. Even as Jack looked at the grinning face of Ezamane, he relaxed his wrists in the hope of creating some slack in his bindings. While keeping his face neutral, he worked furiously at weakening his bonds. Beside him he heard Teal'c stir.

Confident that his captives were secure, Ezamane left the clearing.

"Teal'c. You awake?" Jack hissed.

"I am O'Neill."

"What about Daniel?"

Teal'c looked at the man still slumped against the pole. "He is not. Where is Major Carter?"

Jack looked worried. He was wondering the same thing. "I don't know. She wasn't here when I woke up. Ezamane put something in the fire. Some sort of sleeping powder. Your symbiote must have help to neutralise it for you to wake up when you did."

Teal'c wondered why Jack was also awake. "You do not have the benefits of my symbiote. Why then are you awake?"

"I saw him use the drug. I covered my nose and mouth. Maybe that cut the dose back. I still don't know how he got all of us here though."

The question was answered moments later when Ezamane re-entered the clearing. Hovering beside him was Sam.

She lay flat, her arms crossed over her torso. She appeared to be untouched. The Shaman was chanting softly, holding a hand above her, as thought to guiding her. He continued to move towards the tablet, Sam drifting in the same direction.

As he moved beside the stone, Sam moved to levitate above it. Ezamane lowered his hand, and Sam came to rest on the hard stone. The Shaman took lengths of rope and fastened her limbs, one at a time to small notches on the sides of the tablet. There she lay, still asleep, spread eagle.

Ezamane reached below the tablet, to a spot unseen by Jack and Teal'c. His hands came back into view holding the statue Jack had seen earlier. The Shaman gazed at the figure lovingly, stroking the carved hair lightly. He placed the figure in the indent at the head of the stone where it could look down at Sam.

Jack felt the bonds at his wrists start to give. The Shaman had most likely never tried to hold a determined Colonel before, and made some classic mistakes. His ropes were now snug, but not tight.

Ezamane began to chant. The sound seemed to be getting to Sam as Jack could see her starting to waken. Her eyes were beginning to flutter until they finally opened. "Carter?"

Sam was disoriented. She was lying down and the ground underneath her was hard. She tried to move, but her limbs were held in place. A face came into view, backlit by moonlight. It was Ezamane. His expression was frightening. He wore a maniacal grin which promised great unpleasantness.

"Carter?" Jack called again.

Sam was relieved to hear the familiar voice. "Sir."

"You okay?"

Ezamane seemed caught up in his ritual. He didn't appear to notice, or care about the conversation.

"I think so. What's going on?"

Ezamane was now humming. He looked at his waist and released the knife that dangled there with a practised flick of his wrist. He began to dance in slow circles, moving the knife through the air in intricate patterns.

"Meet our murderer Carter. This is the guy responsible for the deaths of all of those girls." Jack's hands were almost free.

Carter studied her predicament, then looked at the Shaman who moved ever closer. The knife he held was beginning to glow, seemingly from within. “Uh Sir. Do you have a plan, because I'm pretty sure he does and I think it's me!" Sam was trying not to panic, but the knife was coming frighteningly close, and the glow was brightening rapidly. Whatever he had in mind, she was pretty sure he was going to act quickly. Above her, the eyes of the watching statue came to life with an otherwordly glow as well.

Jack gave a final twist of his wrists, and felt the ropes fall away. He reached down to release his ankles, unnoticed by the dancing Shaman.

Teal'c was trying to loosen his own bonds, but Ezamane had taken care to secure the ropes tightly. He had seen the strength in the Jaffa, and had taken no chances. Beside him, Daniel was starting to waken. He heard the humming, and  fuzzily saw the dancing figure. His eyes were still blurry, but clearing rapidly.

Ezamane moved in. He swung the knife close enough cut a slice in Sam's shirt. It grazed her abdomen enough to draw a thin bead of blood. She watched him twirl away, and approach once again while she held her breath against the next strike. When it arrived, the blade moved too quickly to follow. This time the knife slipped deeper into her flesh. Sam tried not to cry out, but the cut stung, and she could feel the blood trickle over her ribs and down her side. The Shaman also cried out, although his was a cry of ecstasy. His dancing was frenzic, and the knife he wielded was beginning to pulse with colour as it fed on Sam's blood. Ezamane danced back with both hands raised over his head, in what appeared to be his final strike.

Jack managed to break the bonds holding his ankles.. Quicker than thought, he was behind the man threatening his Major. His grabbed Ezamane's arms and pinned them behind his back, the stone knife falling harmlessly to the ground, the glow slowly fading to nothing. In a smooth manoeuvre, Jack slid his arms up to catch the man's elbows in his own, leaving his hands free. He raised those up and caught the man on either side of the head. He made a subtle wrenching motion, then released his captive. Ezamane slumped bonelessly, his neck broken, to lie in the dirt. Jack never gave him a second glance as he stepped over the fallen form to release Carter. The whole thing had taken less than a minute.

Daniel expression turned from one of relief to horror as he watched. He stomach turned as he looked upon the impassive face of Colonel Jack O'Neill. The man hadn't so much as broken a sweat, and showed no remorse for his deed. Thoughts warred in Daniel's head. He knew that action needed to be taken. He also knew that Jack had killed before. So had he. But somehow the circumstances seemed different. Killing the enemy with staff weapons, zat's and guns from a distance seemed more……. detached. In his heart, Daniel still mourned for every victim, but it was war, and he didn't know them to care. This man was someone with whom he had talked. He had a face, a brother, a name, and Jack had killed him with his bare hands and not even blinked.

Daniel looked to the man he had called friend. Was this man a hero, or a killer? His thoughts vied for supremacy, until they threatened to overwhelm him. Daniel fell gratefully into the blackness that engulfed him.


Daniel awoke to the familiar sights and sounds of the SGC infirmary. He tested his limbs and realised that he was apparently unharmed. He was also alone, although that changed quickly as Janet arrived.

"I see you woke up. How are you feeling?" Janet picked up Daniel's wrist and checked his pulse while she waited for a response.

"I'm fine. Why am I here?" The last few moments of his memory surged forth and Daniel answered his own question. "The Shaman was killed." Daniel couldn't bring himself to admit that Jack had murdered the man. "I don't know what happened after that."

Janet wrote down her findings, and appeared satisfied with Daniel's condition as she turned to leave. "I know some people who do." Before Daniel had a chance to protest, she was gone.

It was not long before the sound of friendly banter fell on Daniel's ears. He cringed as one particularly strong voice spoke. He had only enough time to try to compose his thoughts before the curtain opened once again, and Sam, Teal'c and Jack entered.

"Hi Danny Boy. How are you doing?"  Although he appeared tired, Jack was smiling and looking pleased to find his friend awake, not the profile Daniel would have fit on a murderer. The smile started to fade quickly as Daniel declined to answer.

"Daniel?" Jack asked quietly, a sombre note in his tone.

Daniel turned to look at him and Jack was taken aback by the look in his friend's eyes. Loathing, betrayal and a bit of fear showed clearly amidst the blue. Still not bothering to answer Jack, Daniel turned his attention to Sam, who stood with one hand resting lightly against her abdomen.

"What happened?"

Sam looked at him, confusion at his reaction showed clearly on her face. "You passed out. Teal'c and I wanted to take you back to the village, but the Colonel wanted you here instead. We wanted to let Sulet know what happened, but none of us knew how to tell him. Not  knowing what was wrong with you, we decided to bring you back. We figured we could tell him when you were feeling up to it.” Sam neglected to mention her own wounds which Jack had insisted on having checked right away. One ended up being only a scratch, while the second cut had required stitches. “The Colonel ended up carrying you all the way to the Stargate Daniel.” Noticing the lack of reaction on Daniel's face, Sam flashed a look at Jack, who simply shrugged.  We'll go back once you've recovered, and explain what happened.  We have a lot to discuss with the Ecirp people.”

Daniel tried not to scoff. //“I'll bet you didn't want to go the village and tell them what you did. Killing their Shaman is probably not the most diplomatic thing you've ever done, but to run and leave them hanging is unforgivable.”// Daniel couldn't help the thoughts that ran through his mind. He chose not to listen to the part about Jack carrying him. He remembered the look on Jack's face as he killed the Shaman. He didn't want to hear about the nice thing his friend did for him. He didn't want to think of him as a friend at all. As a rule, Daniel made it a point to not have cold blooded killers as people he cared for. Somehow, the years of fighting side by side, nightmares that were interrupted and moral and physical support given freely by his friend paled when compared to that act.

Looking past his team to Janet, Daniel called her forward. "I'm kind of tired. I'd like to be alone now."

Janet was confused by Daniel's actions, but honoured his request. "Okay. The patient needs his rest. Time to go."

Jack watched as Sam and Teal'c filed obediently past Janet. He had made up his mind that he would stay and talk to his friend. Obviously something was bothering Daniel, and he wanted to know what it was.

Daniel understood Jack's actions, and wanted no part of them. "That refers to you, Colonel." He turned to Janet. "Doctor, can you please remove him from my room." Daniel didn't wait for an answer as he turned his head away.

Janet stared at the man in the bed in disbelief, then turned to the Colonel. He made his way out of the room, his shoulders slouched. She caught up to him and stopped him a hand on his shoulder.  She moved around to see his face. His eyes were brimming with hurt, which he quickly tried to mask. "What was that about?"

Jack looked at the closed curtain, then back at her. "I have no idea." He straightened up and walked out of the infirmary.


Jack slouched against the frame of Daniel's open door. The man at the desk was not yet aware of his presence, giving Jack the opportunity to study him. Daniel's tousled head was bent as the man poured over his report. As Jack watched, Daniel's left hand moved to slide his glasses down and pinch the bridge of his nose. Eyes closed and hand still in place, Daniel leaned his head back until it came to rest against the back of his chair. To Jack's eye, he looked pale and the dark circles under his eyes were mirrored only by his own.

Daniel had been released that day. Not finding anything wrong, Janet had kept him in for 24 hours for no other reason than his strange behaviour. Jack had tried repeatedly to see him, and was refused each time.

Uncertain how to start, Jack decided to announce his presence. A quick clearing of his throat startled Daniel and the archaeologist's eyes flew open. A smile started to come to the fore, but quickly reverted as Daniel realised who stood in front of him. Instead, a flash a fear crossed his face, but was quickly sublimated as Daniel replaced it with a mask of indifference.

The look had not been missed by Jack however, and the pain it caused was easily read in his eyes. He stood tall, and entered the room, but declined to sit. He had not come to upset his friend, but realised that was exactly what he was doing with his presence. Part of him wanted to leave right then, but part needed to stay and try to work on things.

"Daniel. I think we need to talk."

Daniel flinched at the sound of Jack's voice. "There's nothing to talk about."

"I think there is. You have been upset with me ever since the planet." Jack quickly corrected himself. "Ever since Ezamane."

Daniel straightened himself in his chair at the sound of the name. "Why would I be upset about that?" Sarcasm laced his words.

"You know why I had to stop him Daniel. He was about to kill Carter, and the rest of us would have followed." Jack's words hung in the air.

Daniel looked Jack straight in the eye, accusation heavy in his voice. "You could have restrained him. You could have knocked him out and brought him to his people to be dealt with. No Colonel O'Neill," contempt blatant in his words.  "You took it upon yourself to play God. You decided his fate. You became his judge, jury and executioner. What gave you the right?". Daniel swivelled in his seat to turn his back on Jack. "Death follows you wherever you go, and I want no more part of it. Please leave my office Colonel. This conversation is over."

Jack stood indecisive for a moment as he wondered what he could say. It took him a moment to realise that there was nothing. Sadly, he turned and left the room. A short time later he was driving down the mountainside towards home.

Daniel turned back and stared at the empty doorway. Part of him regretted the hurt he was causing his friend, but he shook the thought away as he replayed the final scene on the planet in his mind.


Jack spent the night in thought, at the top of the hill some miles behind his home. He often came here when he needed to get away and clear his thoughts. He sent his mind back to P39 281. He liked the people he met there. They were kind and innocent for the most part. It was unfortunate that even the most wonderful planets always seemed to house some sort of snake. In this case, it came in the form of Ezamane. Jack had met his type before. Power hungry to the point of losing all sense of morality and judgement. The man had killed many, and many more would have fallen if Jack had not stopped him.

Daniel's voice came unbidden to his mind.

//‘You became his judge, jury and executioner! What gave you the right?'//

As Jack stared into the night sky, those words rang unendingly in his ears.

As dawn approached, heralded by the slight glow in the horizon, Jack finally stirred from his reverie. His night had passed in a montage of faces. Those who had died while serving with him, and those he had killed, the staring eyes of those young women and Charlie's face interweaving through them all. Daniel had been right. Death did follow him. Some he caused, some he fought to prevent. Jack lifted his hands, palms up to the lightening sky. He could see the blood that tainted them. As he studied them, he came to realise they had also done some good. They had served to give as much as much as they had taken. The symphony of colour that grew to grace the morning sky also served to lift the weight of his thoughts. The morning hues finally gave way to the blue of the day, and with that, Jack made a startling revelation.

"I did the right thing." With that thought, he began to descend the hillside.


The team met in the conference room joined by Hammond. As a result of Jack's actions, he had debriefed the team individually. He needed an honest assessment of the events. He was shocked by Jack and Teal'c's recounting of the past three days. It was clear to him that Jack had acted in the best interests of his fellow team-mates, and the civilian population. It was also clear that the Major and Daniel had been protected from the more gruesome aspects of the situation. What he didn't understand was Daniel's current attitude. He decided to postpone the return to P39 281 until some sort of normalcy had been restored.

"SG1. I am postponing the return to the planet for 48 hours. I think that will give the indigenous population a chance to come to grips with recent events." He took note of the shadows under Jack's eyes. It was obvious that Jack hadn't slept well, if at all, in some time.  "I want all of you to take this time to get a thorough physical. You might also want to try to get some rest Colonel. You look tired."

"Yes Sir." Jack replied. No one, including the General believed him. Daniel pointedly looked away, as much in anger as not wanting to see the lines of worry and fatigue on Jack's face. Lines he knew he was partially responsible for putting there.

"All right then." Hammond picked up the files in front of him. "Dismissed."

The team filed out, Jack being the last. He was stopped by an inquiry from behind.

"Colonel?"

"Yes Sir?"

"You do know you did the right thing don't you?"

Jack sighed. "Yes Sir. I do. I just wish my conscience understood." With that he continued out the door.

Hammond watched him go, thinking about that last comment. Somehow he didn't think Jack had directed it at himself. Shaking his head, he left the room to continue the business of running the Stargate.


Feeling the need for privacy, Daniel decided to use his downtime to hide out in the SGC storage area. There he worked on cataloguing some of the backlog of artefacts they had collected on various planets. Daniel looked up from his current object of choice, to take in the sight of Sam and Teal'c darkening his doorway. Knowing what was to come, he tried to avoid it by turning his attention back to the stone statuette in his hand.

"Daniel?" Sam called.

He ignored her.

"Daniel Jackson." Teal'c tried.

Again Daniel ignored them, until he felt himself spun around by a huge hand with a powerful grip.

"What?" he asked innocently.

Sam only looked at him, disappointment clear in her face.

Teal'c broke the silence. "We have come to talk to you about the situation between Colonel O'Neill and yourself."

"There's nothing to talk about." Daniel grumbled.

Sam piped up. "Yes there is Daniel, and you know it."

"So what if there is? It's not like it matters." Daniel tried to turn away, but was stopped by Sam this time.

Sam kept her hand lightly on Daniel's arm as she spoke. She wanted him to know they had come as friends, and not to put him on the defensive.

"Daniel. I don't know what's going on here, but something needs to be done. You're down here hurting, as is the Colonel."

"So why don't you talk to O'Neill about it?"

Sam was taken aback by Daniel's use of Jack's surname.

"I would, but you know the Colonel. He won't talk about anything."

Daniel muttered "Yeah. Why talk when actions will do?"

Teal'c caught the remark, and was beginning to understand.

"Daniel Jackson. Are you still upset about the incident concerning Ezamane?"

Daniel looked at him incredulously. "Upset. No. I mean, why would I be upset about that? Jack just broke the man's neck like a toothpick. Why would that bother me?"

Sam was beginning to get angry. While she could sympathise with Daniel's point of view, she knew that he was being unfair. Since she was to have been the man's next target, she had also had a vested interest in the outcome.

"Daniel, what would you have had the Colonel do?"

"He could have taken him before the Chief."

"And do you really think those people could have dealt with him? Daniel, they would have had no way of dealing with someone like that. The man had powers that we don't understand. He could have set himself free."

Daniel had no argument for that. "We could have brought him back with us."

"For what purpose Daniel Jackson." Teal'c was curious about Daniel's reasoning.

"We could have tried him here."

Sam spoke softly as she tried to make her point.

"We couldn't have kept him here Daniel. Nor could we have tried him. We would have turned him over to NID, and what do you think would have happened to him then?"

Daniel was shocked by the words. He hadn't really given any thought to what they should do. He scrambled to think up alternatives.

"We could have sent him to Hudante."

"To what end Daniel Jackson. So that he might take his revenge on the inhabitants of that world? Or that they might take his life? Are those options any more correct than what O'Neill did?" Teal'c understood Daniel's frustration with the situation, but did not think that the man was thinking clearly. Daniel was not military, nor had the burden of leadership fallen on his shoulders. He was not used to making snap judgements, to weighing out a situation in the blink of an eye, and living with the consequences afterwards.

Daniel listened to Teal'c carefully. The words did not change his mind concerning Jack's actions, but they did make him think.

Sam looked at him and shook her head. She was having a hard time understanding his arguments. Surely even Daniel couldn't believe some of what he was suggesting. She decided to try another tact. "Daniel, I need to ask you something and I want you to really think about it. Okay?"

Daniel shrugged non-committaly.

Sam sighed, then resumed. "When you realised that it was Teal'c who chose Sha're for Apophis, did you hate him?"

Daniel looked at his Jaffa friend, wondering if the man still felt guilt. Teal'c's face was expressionless.  

He looked back at Sam. "At first, but not in the end. Teal'c had no more say in that action than I did."

Sam nodded. She already knew this. Now came the next test. "When Teal'c shot and killed Sha're to save your life, did you hate him then?"

Daniel could see where this was leading, and he didn't like it. "Yes…………no…….. maybe, but not in the end. Teal'c did what he had to do to save my life."

Sam gave a sad, knowing smile. "The Colonel did what he had to, to save my life Daniel. Was that any different?"

Daniel looked at her, for once unsure of what to say.

Sam understood that she had just given him much food for thought, and wisely chose to leave him to sort things out. Teal'c followed closely and closed the door behind him, leaving one very confused man alone with his statues.

Daniel stood, unmoving while he thought about Sam's comments. She was right. He forgave Teal'c for killing his wife, yet he couldn't reconcile Jack's actions. It made no sense to him, but his feelings of anger were too powerful to ignore. Daniel moved to the safety of the shadows, his back against a wall. Slowly he slid down, to sit bent kneed, staring in the dark.

Ezamane's face appeared in front of him. Not the painted face of the man who murdered twelve young women, but the image of a man telling of his burdened youth. A youth that closely resembled his own, Daniel realised. Both men had been orphaned at a young age. Both had spent their formative years trying to find their way, with little understanding from those around them.  Daniel at least had his parent's path to follow, but Ezamane had grown up with no real guidance. He had tried to forge his own path. Somewhere he had taken a wrong turn, but what could he have accomplished had that not happened? What if someone had taken his hand and guided him along the proper course? Daniel realised that his anger was not only about Jack's actions, but about the waste of a life. As he replayed the scene in his head, he put himself in Ezamane's place. It was not the Shaman's neck being broken, it was his own, and it frightened him to think that the possibility was not so remote. What stopped him from taking the wrong path? Was he even sure he was on the right one? Who was to say that there wasn't a Jack O'Neill waiting out there to leave him lying lifeless in the dirt?

Daniel tried to sort out the conflicting emotions within him. The incident on the planet shook him, and his belief's, and at the centre of all of that was Jack. Daniel tried to picture him with a smile on his face, or his laughter, or even with a beer in his hand watching yet another hockey game. He couldn't do it. All he could see was the impassive face of a killer, leaving a misguided and lonely man lying dead.

Hours passed, and Daniel had not yet emerged from his hiding place. Teal'c had watched the door, undecided what he should do. Finally, he made a decision. He knocked, but received no answer, as he had expected. He opened the door and quietly entered the room, closing it behind him. He scanned the room searching for the archaeologist, finally spotting him sitting against a wall, hidden in the shadows.

Teal'c approached him slowly, trying to gauge the man's state of mind.

"Daniel Jackson. I wish to speak with you."

"If it's about Jack, I'm not interested. Everyone is so worried about Jack". Daniel spat the name out. He rose up from his position on the floor and pushed away from the wall. "If there's nothing else Teal'c, I have work to do."

"As you wish." With a heavy heart, Teal'c turned and walked away. He didn't understand how such a strong friendship could have crumbled so quickly.


Jack had made himself scarce during the hiatus. When he entered the briefing room to get his new orders, it was apparent to all that he had not rested as the General instructed. For the first time, the proud Colonel looked every minute his age.

Hammond looked around the table at the team in front of him. The tension was palpable. He had spent the last 48 hours debating an issue. As he took in the scene in front of him, he realised the decision was obvious.  He had planned on separating the team. Daniel was needed back on P39 281, that much was clear. He had thought to put O'Neill with another team, but realised the man was not up to par. His fatigue could prove to be liability. It was also apparent that the team had some major fences to repair, and would not function well until that happened. He stood and glanced around the table, taking in all the faces.

"SG1. I am sending you back to P39 281. Your orders are to help the indigenous people come to grips with this tragedy and see what aid you can provide. If a treaty can be salvaged after these regrettable events, so much the better."

Daniel was irate. "Regrettable events? He………." Daniel jabbed his finger in Jack's direction,  kills their Shaman, and you call it regrettable?" Daniel's anger had grown over the last couple of days, despite Sam and Teal'c's words.

Hammond was momentarily taken aback by the vehemous outburst. He quickly recovered, and shock gave way to his own anger. Before he could reply, Jack beat him to it.

Jack pushed his chair back, slowly, deliberately, then rose to his full height. He stood tall, and with military bearing as he looked Daniel fully in the eyes. Daniel was held in place by that proud gaze. "I regret many events in my life Dr. Jackson. That was not one of them." With that, he pivoted on his heel and left the room.

A pin could have been heard dropping, so profound was the ensuing silence. Hammond finally broke the spell. "SG1, you leave in one hour. I will inform the Colonel. Dismissed."

Within the hour, the team was in gear and assembled at the bottom of the ramp, ready to go. Jack stood, eye's straight ahead, saying nothing. To any looking at him, it was just another mission. To his friends, the hurt in his eyes was painful to witness. Sam and Teal'c stood, not knowing what to say or do.  Daniel was off to the side. His feelings, so obvious only a short time ago, were now confused. Jack's words had cut through him, leaving him unsure. His train of thought was cut off by Hammond's voice coming over the intercom.

The General watched the team from the control room. He wondered if he was doing the right thing, sending them off together. He knew they needed to heal, as a team, or SG1 would not continue. He leaned over the microphone.

“SG1, you have a go. Good luck people.” Hammond watched, heavy hearted as the four individuals walked the length of the ramp and disappeared. He continued to stare, long after the brilliant blue of the wormhole faded away.


The team entered the clearing, vaguely surprised at seeing it empty. Jack gave a cursory look around and saw nothing. “Gee, I was kind of expecting a reception of some sort.”

 Daniel muttered. “Yeah, like a lynch mob.”

Jack caught the words. He stalked purposefully up the younger man and caught him with his stare. This time it wasn't Jack talking, but Colonel O'Neill. “If you want to hate me, go ahead. If you don't want to talk, that's fine. But out here……. we're on a mission. I expect you to behave like a member of this team. If you can't do that, let me know now and I'll turn around and request a new linguist. Got it?”

Daniel stood chastened. He knew he was out of line. “I got it.”

Jack gave an abrupt nod and turned away. “All right kids. Let's go.”

The team made good time reaching the village. They kept expecting to run into one of the hunters, or perhaps a search party, but the path and surrounding woods were empty.

Finally they past the familiar fields and entered into the village. They were surprised to see the men and women all in attendance. An aura of celebration permeated the place. Laughter carried on the air, and wonderful cooking smells wafted on the breeze. The place did not give the impression of a town in mourning.

The team finally attracted some attention. A group of hunters, playing some sort of game in the dirt, stood and walked towards them. The lead man smiled, then wrapped Jack in a hug.

Jack stood awkwardly, hands at his sides, not sure how to take the reception he was being treated to. Despite the nature of their mission, Sam was hard pressed to suppress her smirk at the Colonel's reaction. Touchy feely was definitely not his thing.

Once released, Jack looked to Daniel. “What's going on here?”

Daniel was in the dark as much as the rest of the team. This certainly wasn't the welcome they had expected. “Um, I'm not sure.” He turned to the men who stood grinning in front of him. “They seem to be celebrating.”

Jack spoke up. “Ya think? What I don't understand is why? Can you ask them where Sulet is?”

Daniel addressed the men. The one who had hugged Jack pointed in the direction of the Chief's hut. Daniel thanked him, and they moved off. Smiling faces greeted the team while they made their way through the village. As they approached the hut, they noticed the fire they had last dined around, the one Ezamane had used his drug in, was still lit. Sitting in his customary spot in front of the flames was Sulet.

Smiles wreathed his face as he stood to greet them. He held his arms wide, as though to encompass the group at once. “Ghivtra cen.”

“He's welcoming us back,” Daniel relayed.

Sulet appeared to be looking past the team, searching for something. He turned to Daniel and the two began to converse. Finally Daniel turned to the team.

“It seems as though they don't know about Ezamane. From what Sulet says, it is not uncommon for the Shaman to disappear for days at a time after a full moon. They think he's just doing what he normally does, although they thought we were together. They're celebrating that no other girls were lost. They think it's because of us.”

“Yeah, well, they'd be right wouldn't they? Can you ask him if we can please speak to him in private. Perhaps in his hut?” Jack's expression brooked no arguments from Daniel, who dutifully passed on the request.

Once in Sulet's hut, Jack faced the man. Not the Jack O'Neill of late, a man physically and emotionally tired. This was a military Colonel, delivering unwelcome news to an unprepared man. His tone was level and direct, but the words were softly spoken, with heartfelt sympathy. “I'm very sorry to tell you this Sulet. We found the missing girls. They were killed. We managed to discover who committed the crimes. It was Ezamane. In fact, he tried to kill her.” Jack pointed to Sam, then waited for Daniel to translate. When the linguist had caught up, he continued on. “He put some sort of drug into the fire. The fumes caused everyone to fall asleep. That's why you couldn't protect the girls in the past. You were drugged. He took us to a clearing. We men were tied to poles. He tied Sam to a stone table and started to cut her with a knife. I managed to break free, and I killed him. I am sorry.”

Daniel dutifully relayed the words. He marvelled at the simple telling. Jack hadn't embellished the story, nor minimised his role. Truth be told, Daniel was actually impressed, although he would never admit to it.

Sulet, on the other hand, was having a hard time accepting the story. In only minutes, his peaceful world had come crashing down around him. Not only did he find out that the missing girls had been murdered, he also learned that it was his own brother who committed the crimes. He shook his head, as though there were some mistake.

Understanding the hard time Sulet was having taking Jack's word for the events, Sam stepped forward. She raised her shirt up enough to reveal the damage underneath. The one cut was healing nicely, but the stitches on the other one still showed clearly on the swollen, red skin. She lowered her shirt and held out her wrists which still bore the faint, but unmistakable marks of rope burn. She then stepped back, knowing her point had been made.

Sulet looked at her wounds, then back at Jack. Much as he wanted to deny the facts presented to him, he had no choice but to accept the harsh truth. Small incidents came to his mind. Things he hadn't given thought to at the time now served to reinforce what the group in front of him were saying. Personality changes he had disregarded. The looks the Shaman had given to the girls who ended up missing. His almost fanatic treatment of his possessions. Sulet looked at Jack sadly, ashamed that this man had done what he should have in searching out the danger to his people.  Blinded by his love for his brother, he had allowed needless suffering. In danger of losing control of his emotions, Sulet excused himself and left the hut.

Daniel had winced at seeing the damage Sam had displayed. He scarcely noticed when the Chief left, as shame flooded over him. In his anger at Jack, he had completely ignored the implications the event had caused for the others. He looked back to the scene in the infirmary. To the look of concern on Sam's face as she asked how he was. Only now did he acknowledge her hand held protectively over her stomach. She had been injured and he hadn't even bothered to ask. She had looked to his health, and he had ignored hers. He wondered how she could forgive him, and how he could have let such blind anger cloud his thinking.

As though Sam had read his mind, she moved to stand beside him. “Daniel, it's okay. I know you've been working through something that I can't begin to understand. You weren't ignoring me, you were working on yourself. That's okay.” Seeing the man wasn't completely convinced by her words, she continued on. “I could have told you too, if I thought it was worth worrying about, but it wasn't. Just a few scratches, I could just as easily have got from my neighbour's cat. What will make me feel badly is if you continue to worry about this. We're friends, and that hasn't changed. Okay?”

Finally Daniel began to relax. Seeing that, Sam moved away to give him some space. Slowly he put his thoughts behind him, and began to concentrate on his surroundings.  Sulet's hut was much the same as the others he had seen. It was dedicated to only the basic of needs. It did have one significant difference however. Daniel wasn't sure if it went with being a leader, or simply a matter of personal taste. He suspected it was the former. The walls in the hut sported a wide variety of masks. As Daniel looked around, he took in the array. It was an archaeologists dream. Different spirits and Gods were represented, covering the beliefs of centuries. An entire evolution of religion was represented. Daniel could have spent days studying the works, and still not have scratched the surface of the represented mythology. Many were simple mud forms, some were woven, some carved of wood. Many were painted, and some were covered in beads. The one that took him by surprise though, was hanging above the door. Daniel moved closer to see the detail. The mask itself was nondescript, but the implication was not. He slapped his head in disgust.

“How could I be so stupid?”

“Daniel?” Sam asked. She snuck a quick glance at Jack to see what he made of the comment. To his credit, he didn't take advantage of the situation. In fact, he looked concerned.

Jack wanted to ask himself, but given Daniel's reactions to him of late, he decided to let Carter handle the questions, unless the circumstances warranted otherwise.

Daniel looked at Sam, obviously worried. “Remember how I said these people struck me as being of North American descent. Quacutil I think ?”

Sam nodded.

“Well, I think I was wrong. This mask” he pointed above the door, “this is  Tzutuhiles.”

Hard as it was, Jack refrained from offering a gesundheit.

Sam looked at Daniel, the obvious question in her eyes. “And that means………?”

“It means that these people came from Quatemala.”

“Again. That means what?” Sam wasn't trying to annoy Daniel, although clearly she was.

Daniel was getting exasperated. “Tzutuhiles are the Quatamalan descendants of the Mayans”.

For a change, Jack was the first one to see where this was going. “So that inscription I showed you was Mayan?”

Daniel forgot his anger for a moment and replied. “Yes it was.” He thought back to the leaf Jack had shown him, and the memory triggered another one. “Oh my God. The statue.”

“The statue in the clearing Daniel Jackson?” Teal'c recalled the grotesque artefact clearly.

“Yes Teal'c. I saw it briefly in Ezamane's hut. I only saw the head of it, but it was enough to see it's origins. I wondered about it, but I guess I forgot to mention it once the celebration started.”

Jack jumped in. “Let me guess. It was Mayan as well.”

Daniel nodded absently as the identity of the figure came to him. “It was a statue of Ah puch.”

Jack enjoyed playing twenty questions as much as anyone, but this was not the time. “And he is…?”

Daniel looked at him, realisation lighting his face. “He's one of the Mayan God's of Death.”

Jack looked at him, wondering if more was forthcoming. “Okay, I'll bite. How many Gods of Death are there?”

“There's two actually. Ah puch is the God of Death by things like old age and  sickness. Natural causes. The second is Ahpuc.”

Sam spoke up. “Sounds like the same guy.”

Daniel gave her a brief smile. “They sound similar, but they're not. Ahpuc is the God of violent death. Things like suicide, hanging……..”

Jack interrupted. “Sacrifice?”

Daniel nodded.

“Sacrifice how?”

Daniel wasn't sure why Jack was so eager to get a history lesson, but decided to play along. “The general method was beheading.”

Further conversation was halted by the reappearance of Sulet. The man seemed to have aged in front of them. Clearly the news of his brother's actions had come as a shock. Still, he seemed ready to take all necessary steps in dealing with the situation. Sulet looked at Sam. He bowed deeply to her. “Opoy ba nu wera tyunigo. Tro ena qui vocret.”. He bowed again. Next he turned to Jack. He repeated the bowing. This time the words flowed fast and furious. When he finished, he looked expectantly at Daniel.

Turning to Sam, Daniel translated. “He offers his apologises for the harm his brother caused you.”

Sam answered with a bow of her own, causing a slight smile to grace the old man's face.

Daniel continued to translate for Jack. “He says he is sorry for not recognising the danger to us. He didn't understand why the girls disappeared. While he didn't believe they were lost to wild animals, he didn't think they had been deliberately taken. That his brother could have hurt his own people wounds him deeply, but he is grateful the danger is finally over. He wishes for you to show him his brother's body, and those of the missing children.”

Jack nodded gravely at the distraught Leader, then walked over and held out his hand. He clasped Sulet's briefly in his own before releasing it. Indicating that the old man should follow him, he climbed the ladder, and emerged in the sun, the others following behind.

It was a solemn group that Jack led into the clearing. The area was frighteningly undisturbed. Ezamane's body was lying on the ground where they left it. Sulet approached his brother slowly. A lone tear trickled down his worn cheek as he knelt in the dirt. He gently placed his hand on the Shaman's head. Closing his eyes, he began a soft chant. When finished, he withdrew his hand and stood. The once proud Chief appeared broken. His eyes were now dull with grief, and he moved slowly, as though his burden was to great to bear.

Jack moved to the man's side and took his arm. Together they walked to the mouth of the cave. Sulet's emotions got the best of him and he began to weep. Jack wrapped his arm around the man's shoulders and held him. Finally the Chief calmed. He looked Jack in the face, and gave a brief bow, which Jack returned with all solemnity.

Sulet turned to Daniel. As the team looked on, the two men conversed. Tears sprung to Daniel's own eye as he listened. Finally he turned to the watching group.

“He says that great evil killed his children. Their souls have not found their rest and need our help. He asks that we help to send them on by performing a cleansing ritual. He wishes it to be performed here. He says that to move them now will anger the spirits, and separate their souls from their bodies. If that happens, they will never find peace.” Daniel looked at Jack. “I told him we will help.”

“Of course we will. What does he want us to do?”

Daniel questioned the leader. He nodded in acknowledgement then turned back to his team.

“He says that only fire will cleanse the evil. We need to light a fire in the cave and let it burn for from dawn to dusk. After that, the entrance will be sealed with stones.”

Jack looked agreeable but confused. “Of course we'll help, but why us? Surely he wants the families to be a part of this?”

Daniel had the grace to hold his tongue against the retort trying to break free. “He says the families will come when the cleansing is complete, and the evil is removed. Normally the Shaman would be asked to perform the duties, but since he is dead, it falls to us……to you, as his killer…….to take responsibility for it.”

Jack flinched at Daniel's words. Knowing nothing he could say would change anything, he simply turned to Sulet and nodded.

The leader turned away and headed into the woods.

Jack nodded at Teal'c. “Make sure he gets home would you?”

Teal'c answered with a slight incline of his head, then turned and followed the departing form.

Jack moved closer to Sam and Daniel. “Okay. From what you said, I take it we have some work to do. Sam, would you start collecting some wood for the fire. Daniel, you and I can find some stones to seal the cave. Teal'c can help when he gets back. Any questions?”

Sam pointed to Ezamane. “What about him Daniel. What does Sulet want us to do with him?”

“He will burn in the cave as well. He was a holy man, and deserves a proper burial. Daniel couldn't help but look at Jack as he said that. “Sulet hopes that the fire will cleanse the evil which lives in his heart.”

Sam made a move towards the fallen Shaman, but was stopped by Jack. “It's okay Carter. I'll move him. After all, I killed him,”  Jack's face was unreadable as he said the words.

Sam nodded sadly, then moved off to begin her task. It would take a lot of wood to feed a fire for that long.

Ignoring Daniel, Jack reached down and grabbed the Shaman by the arms. It was awkward moving the stiffened body, so Jack resorted to dragging the man across the dirt.

Unwilling to watch, Daniel turned his attention to the knife lying forgotten in the dirt. He picked it up and studied it. It was beautifully crafted. The blade was an inky black, reminding Daniel of obsidian, but was too strong to be made of the glassy material. It had to be flint. Generally the stone wasn't this colour or texture though. Daniel remembered back to his archaeology lessons. When flint was exposed to high heat, it took on the slick, inky sheen he was seeing. He wondered at the workmanship of it. It was a double edged blade, with an impossibly sharp edge. The craftsmanship was undeniable. The blade was slightly oval, with an elongated shape. The front and back had been carefully chipped away to form a smooth surface, while the edges had been pressure flaked. The result was a slightly serrated cutting edge. The heel of the knife had been formed into a dowel shape and fitted into a slightly hollowed bone which formed the handle. Sinew was then wrapped around to secure the two pieces.

Along the handle were markings. As Daniel looked closer, trying to read them, he realised they formed the name of Ahpuc.

 Shivering slightly as a shudder ran up his spine, Daniel moved to the stone altar. He laid the knife down and turned his attention to the statue. He removed it form it's niche. It was not a large piece. It stood only about eight inches high, and weighed about 3 pounds. It was carved from a single piece of sandstone. Daniel turned the figure over as he studied it. The carving was meticulously done, and the figure seemed almost lifelike. Most riveting were the eyes. They seemed to capture and hold Daniel's with it's own.

Daniel shook his head. He had the strangest feeling that the statue could see inside him. That it was studying him, as he studied it. It was more than disconcerting. He placed the statue beside the knife. Deciding to return the objects to Sulet, Daniel looked for a means to carry them. Settling on his pack, he shrugged it off and set it beside the two relics. He loosened the drawstring, and widened the neck of the bag. Reaching out, he picked up both relics.

To anyone watching, they might have noticed how Daniel suddenly stood stiffly upright. They might also have seen how his normally blue eyes suddenly flashed black, or how his expression changed. However, no-one was watching. 

For his part, Daniel blacked out. When he awoke, he was unsure where he was. He seemed to be trapped. Despite the dimness, he made out the shape of a small, featureless room. Trying not to panic, Daniel walked around the perimeter. He was shaking by the time he had finished his inspection. There were no doors or windows. He was unsure where the scarce amount of light came from as there were no provisions for that small amount of security.

//“Hello? Is there anybody there? I'm Daniel Jackson. I'm a traveller from Earth.”// The silence was deafening.// “Can anybody hear me?”//

**“I hear you.”**

Daniel started at the words. They seemed to come from all around him, and the voice sounded older than time. //“Who are you?”//

A wall in front of Daniel opened. He was unable to walk through it though. It was more like it had transformed to become a giant movie screen.

**“For now, I am you Daniel Jackson.”**

//“I don't understand. What do you mean?”//

Laughter boomed all around him. **“You do understand. You just choose not to. Look.”**

Daniel looked closely at the view in front of him. He was seeing his bag. He also saw two hands holding the statue and the knife. They were his hands. Realisation hit. He was witnessing the scene through his own eyes, but the control was not his. His prison was in his own mind, and someone else was using his body.

A fear that Daniel had never before known threatened to overwhelm him. //“Who are you!?”//

**“You know who I am. You just need to say my name.”** Ahpuc knew his control over his host would increase with the recognition of his name. He only wondered it this man knew that as well.

Daniel realised that he did know who his possessor was. //“You're Ahpuc.”// As the name left his lips, he recognised his mistake. Already he found the walls of his prison closing in. His possessor had gained a stronger foothold in Daniel's mind.

Daniel heard and felt the chuckling. **“Very good. I knew you were the right one for me. I needed a new vessel after your friend killed Ezamane. You will do nicely.”**

//“How did you get in me?”// Daniel was determined to find out a way of breaking Ahpuc's control of him.

**“You handled the objects”**

Daniel couldn't believe it was as simple as that. //“Surely lots of people touched those things?”//

**“Actually, no. These have been passed down from one Shaman to another. It is forbidden for others to touch them.”**

//“So you've inhabited, or taken over or whatever you want to call it, every Shaman?”//

**“No. Most had been trained to resist me from the time they were small.”**

Finally it made sense to Daniel. //“Since Ezamane had no teacher to guide him, he didn't learn how to fight you.”//

**“True. It still took some time. He was as stubborn as he was gifted. I managed to work through his defences though, and in time he became mine.”**

//“What about me? I have no talents.”//

**“You underestimate yourself. You have knowledge. That is power in it's own right.”**

Daniel wondered what he wasn't being told. //“I don't believe that in all these years, no one has touched both the objects. What aren't you telling me?”//

**“You are a clever one aren't you. Very well. You are correct. Some had touched the artefacts over the years. They were possessed of weak minds though. Had I been able to access them, I'm not sure I would have. I grew weak over the years, but bade my time. I was saving my strength for the right one. When Ezamane came along, I knew it was time to act. Thanks to him, I have grown in strength.”**

Daniel ventured a guess. //“The girls?”//

**“Yes. Their deaths gave me new life. I have grown stronger. Now I am free to act.”**

//“What do you want with me?”//

**“Watch and learn”.**

Daniel had no choice but to witness his body's actions.

Ahpuc placed the statue reverently back into it's niche. He then turned his attention to the knife. The weight of the stone felt wonderful. He ran his thumb gently across the razor sharp edge and smiled as the tiny beads of blood welled to the surface. With the letting of blood, he gained more control of his host. Satisfied, he turned his attention to the clearing. Seeing it was still empty, he leaned against the stone. He was prepared to wait. It would be interesting to see how the man who killed Ezamane would react to dealing with his friend's possession.

Ahpuc continued to scan the clearing. As his eyes came to rest on the mouth of the cave, he became aware of the thoughts of his captive.** “So, you wish to see what lies within. I understand your friend has forbidden it.”**

Daniel snorted mentally. //“He's not my friend. Not anymore.”//

**“Are you so sure of this?”** Ahpuc was enjoying the feelings of anger his host was projecting. They were both entertaining, and served to fuel him. As the God of Death, he enjoyed the emotions of hate, anger and jealousy. All provided the means to war and death and those were events he thrived on.

//“I'm sure.”//

**“Very well then.”** Without warning, Ahpuc projected the scene within the cave. Daniel was treated to the view in all it's horrifying clarity. He was even given the added audio version as Ahpuc transmitted the sounds of the girl's dying screams.

Daniel was beyond horrified. He tried to run from the sights and sounds, but was locked within the prison of his own mind. Frantically he began beating mentally against the walls to no avail. He tried to block out the images, but lacked the physical ability to do so.

Ahpuc was amused. Ezamane had not fought nearly so hard, and had actually encouraged the actions after a time. This host had fight and spirit and Ahpuc wondered how long it would take to break those.

**“Enough. This serves nothing.”** He broke off the scene.

Daniel fell to the ground panting. He had never before felt such hate for anyone or anything. Not even for Apophis. The sheer malevolence of the creature was awe inspiring. Finally Daniel realised why Jack had tried to protect him from the knowledge of the cave. Why his friend had killed Ezamane. You don't reason with hate like that. You stop it. Even better, you destroy it. Now that he had become a part of Ahpuc, they would need to destroy him. Daniel could only hope that was possible. He just prayed he would get the chance to say good bye to his friends, and to tell Jack that he finally understood.

**“You know, I find you a most complex person. Part of you rebels at what I have done, at what you feel I represent. Yet, as I read your mind, I find that we are not so different.”**

Daniel snorted in derision. //“We are nothing alike. I value life, and freedom. I try to protect people, to defend them against the likes of you.”//

**“You see, that's why I like your kind. You are so adept at self delusion. I can see into your mind. I know that you have killed before.”**

//“Of course. I told you. I protect people.//

**“And you have never enjoyed the feelings this gave you. You never savoured the feelings of power? Of control?”**

//“No.”//

Ahpuc laughed. **“As I said. Self delusion. Shall I help to rekindle your memories. You seem to have forgotten some of them.”**

An unwanted memory surged forth. Daniel was shooting the tank of the immature Goa'uld larvae. His smile barely contained as the writhing creatures landed on the ground, squirming in the dirt, and suffocating in the lethal environment.

**“You see. You condemned your friend for his actions.”** Jack's face flashed in Daniel's mind, the haggardness in full detail. **“You purport to be better, yet you knowingly killed off helpless children, and enjoyed doing so.”**

//“Stop it! Get out of my head! You have no right to be there, or to judge me.”//

**“Maybe, maybe not. Yet you felt you had the right to judge your friend. You took his actions at face value. You saw the signs of Ezamane's activities, which you ignored I might add, yet when he……” **Jack's face flashed again……..**”acted, you vilified him. How can you claim to be better than I. I at least admit who and what I am. Perhaps you need to do the same.”**

Daniel fell quiet, reflecting on Ahpuc's words. Whether it was in deference to his need for quiet, or merely an aspect of his gloating, Ahpuc left him alone.

Daniel sank against the wall of his prison. Uncertainty set in. He had killed those Goa'uld larvae, and he had enjoyed it. At the very least, he had gained great satisfaction from the act. That couldn't make him as evil as Ahpuc though. Could it? He tried to recall the good he had helped do. Nothing came to mind. All he could hear and see were his words to Jack and his murder of the larvae. Daniel sagged into a heap on the floor, shame and guilt torturing his mind.

Ahpuc smiled. He knew he had twisted the situation somewhat. He also knew what this man stood for and it certainly wasn't death and corruption. What he did have a deep seeded sense of guilt that had been ridiculously easy to tap into. It served his purposes to have his host questioning and confused. It made control all the easier.

Daniel lay there, tears falling heedlessly from his eyes. //I'm no better than he is. I have killed. Not in battle either. I killed because I wanted to. What does that make me? I am no better that him. He's right. If anything I'm worse. I'm a monster. Oh God help me, I'm a monster. I deserve this.//  As he thought about Ahpuc's words, another voice crept into his mind. It sounded suspiciously like Jack. He strained to make out the phrases.

“Danny Boy. You did good.”

Daniel's tears slowed somewhat, and the voice gained strength. “Yeah. Space Monkey. Yeah.”

The tears stopped and Daniel pulled himself to sitting. The words came more rapidly.

“We'll find her. I promise.” Jack promised. //Jack always keeps his promises.// Strength kept back into Daniel.

//“Where are you Jack?”//

“I'm in here Daniel.” Daniel felt a warmth wrap around his heart.

“I trust you Daniel.” //Jack trusts me. He trusts me to fight for good. He would want me to fight this. I have to fight this. Ahpuc can't win. I hurt Jack, but if I let Ahpuc win, we all lose. I have to win. I have to fight. I can do good things.// Confidence flowed back into Daniel's weakened soul.

Slowly he stood. He didn't know if he could win against Ahpuc, but he meant to fight. Jack would want him to, and more importantly, Daniel wanted to.

Daniel braced himself for the battle he knew was to come.


When Jack finally finished manipulating Ezamane's body into the cave, he was tired. Physically and emotionally. He would have been happy to never have witnessed the scene in there again, yet here he was. Jack left the cave and sat himself down just outside, with his back against the stone wall. He leaned his head back until it came to a rest. Closing his eyes, he tried to breathe deeply enough to rid himself of the stench still clinging to his nostrils.  Sensing motion in front of him, he opened his eyes to see Daniel striding towards him. The expression on the archaeologist's face was one Jack had never seen before. “Daniel?”

**“Daniel is not here. I sent him away. You are dealing with me now.”**

A blur of motion swept in Jack's direction. Only his reflexes moved him out of the way in time. He rolled to his side and landed in a crouched position. He eyed Daniel warily. “Who are you?”

A cold laugh rang out. **“Oh come now. Surely you know. Why, Daniel told you about me not long ago. Don't you remember?”**

Without waiting for an answer, the knife lashed out again. Jack sprung forward into a diving roll, the knife whistling harmlessly overhead. He gained some distance then stood, turned and faced his attacker. A name jumped into his head. “Ahpuc.”

**“Ah. So you were listening. Your friend wasn't sure that you were. He seems to feel that you ignore him a lot.”**

//“Don't listen to him Jack. He's toying with you. It's not true. I do know you listen and that you care.”//

Jack refused to rise to the bait. He knew the tactics. He had employed them himself in the past. Distract your opponent, then take advantage of it. He needed to turn the tables and ask the questions. He needed to get this thing out of Daniel and he couldn't do that without information.

Ahpuc started to move combatively in a circle. He moved the knife in front of him  with complete control. Jack matched the circular march, his eyes never leaving the weapon.

“So, why do you do it? Why do you pick these men and make them kill for you? Why don't you do it yourself?”

**“If I told you that, I'd have to kill you.”**

“You're going to do that anyhow, so what's the harm in answering.”

Ahpuc laughed. **“You know, I could get to like you. I watched you in the village. I saw you looking at me. You knew what I was up to. I applaud you for that. No-one else suspected me. For over a year I got to indulge my tastes, and no-one guessed. Then you come, and in less than a day you had me figured out.”**

“Gee, I'm flattered. Just call me a good judge of character.” Jack dodged as the knife swung at him. He sidestepped easily as he tried to figure out his next course of action. He had to stop Ahpuc, without hurting his friend. His weapons were out of the question. This had to be done with finesse.

Daniel watched the fight through second hand eyes. It was strange. He was seeing Jack as Ahpuc was. As one fighter to another. Daniel knew Ahpuc's intentions and called out a warning to his friend, despite the knowledge that his words couldn't be heard. He watched as Jack dogged the next strike. Daniel was tense, knowing this would only escalate. Already Ahpuc was closing the distance between the two men.

Jack saw an opening. He dove forward, grabbing Ahpuc's arm and twisting the appendage. He succeeded in flipping the man to his back. Acting on his advantage, he knelt and planted his knee on the man's chest. He reached with both hands to grab the knife clenched firmly in Ahpuc's hand. The move might have worked, had Ahpuc's eyes not started to glow. Jack felt his body lift, then fly through the air to crash against the stone altar. He fell heavily to the ground, temporarily winded.

Daniel screamed with impotent rage. //“You cheated. He had you and you cheated!”//

**“Tsk tsk. That is not cheating. I have the power….. he does not. This is what I do. This is what I've waited for all these years.”**

Jack shook the cobwebs from his head and considered his options. This man had power, and wouldn't hesitate to use it. Jack needed to wrap this up before anyone else came and got hurt. He wondered if he could appeal to the creatures ego.

“Well done,” Jack called out as he rose. “You played that well. I guess that's what you God's need to do when you take on a mortal.” The taunt in his voice was unmistakable. “You have to rely on your powers. Too bad. It would be interesting to see if you could win on your own.”

Daniel watched the scene unfolding with interest. He applauded Jack's tactics, and just hoped they would bear fruit.

**“Just you and me? Well……this could be fun. I will enjoy breaking you slowly. Death at ones own hand is infinitely more pleasurable than simply watching.”**

“We'll see about that.”

Once again the two combatants started to circle. This time Ahpuc took the initiative. He feinted left, then moved quickly to his right, knife hand extended. Jack recognised the feint for what is was and reacted accordingly. Unfortunately, his lack of sleep had slowed his reflexes somewhat, and the knife got it's first taste of his blood. It caught his left palm as he tried to block the strike. Swiftly the knife sliced through the tender flesh, cutting a diagonal swath across the length of his hand.

Daniel hissed in sympathy, but noticed Jack showed no reaction to the wound.

**“Ah. First blood goes to me.”** The glee in Ahpuc's voice was infuriating.

“Yes, but it's last blood that counts.” Jack reigned in his emotions. Letting them get out of control would only give the advantage to his rival.

Jack rushed unexpectedly, dropping at the last moment to sweep his leg out and kick his opponents out from under him. He followed up on the successful move with a quick chop to the neck. Ahpuc's eyes rolled back, but Jack knew it was only a momentary victory. He would have to follow through before he lost the advantage. He reached for the knife. Ahpuc, heavily stunned, blindly slashed it in front of him, catching Jack on the cheek. The wound was not serious but it was messy. As before however, Jack ignored it. He reached again, and this time got his hands on the knife. He wrested it from Ahpuc's grip, and threw it as far as he could. Grabbing the man by the shoulder, he drew him up to standing. Reaching for both hands, he drew them to Ahpuc's back. Without a rope to secure the man, he cast about for options. He finally settled on Daniel's pack still waiting on the altar. Dragging the still stunned man backwards, Jack made his way towards the pack. When he reached his destination, he used his uninjured right hand to hold Ahpuc's wrists, while he fumbled with the pack with his left hand. He grabbed the string that secured the neck of the bag and started to pull it free. He almost had it when Ahpuc shook off the stunning chop.

Ahpuc broke free from Jack's hold and delivered a harsh elbow to Jack's ribs, knocking him back against the stone. Ahpuc followed up with his arm across Jack's throat. O'Neill leaned away from the pressure until he was bent backwards, back pressed against the cold stone.

Daniel screamed. //“Stop it! You're killing him.”// Daniel beat against the walls of his prison in a fruitless attempt to distract Ahpuc.

As Jack felt the crushing weight rob him of his oxygen, he scrambled to stop the other man. He cupped on hand behind the other and pressed them into Ahpuc's chin, forcing the other man to loosen his hold. Gaining a momentary reprieve, Jack let go with one hand and felt around for some sort of weapon. His hand brushed against the statue of his nemesis. Grabbing it more securely, Jack lifted the object. He felt Ahpuc tense.

Daniel cheered him on. //“Come on Jack! You can do it!”//

Jack started to move the statue towards Ahpuc's head, but hesitated at the last moment.

Understanding his hesitation, Daniel screamed. //“Just do it Jack. You have to stop him.”// Panic washed over him as he realised his friend's desire to protect him might cost Jack his own life.

Ahpuc sneered. **“Now you know why I choose these forms. Always there is someone who cares. Someone who can't hurt the host.”** Ahpuc tensed as Jack moved the statue again.

Jack noticed Ahpuc's reactions both times he moved the statue. Maybe it was divine intervention , or maybe it was simply a lack of oxygen, but an epiphany came to him. ‘Maybe I don't have to hurt Daniel after all'. With all his quickly failing strength, Jack raised the statue high overhead and smashed it down on the altar. The grip on his neck loosened immediately, and Jack gasped for air, his knees buckling.

Daniel watched the statue descend towards the unforgiving stone. **“Nooooooo,”** came the deafening scream, then all went dark.


When Daniel came to, he lay quietly, assessing his situation. His prison was gone, and no thoughts interfered with his own. He opened his eyes and was delighted to see the sky first hand. He moved slowly, testing his limbs. Everything seemed in order.

“Daniel?” Jack was still sitting against the stone altar. He had seen his friend move, but was still feeling shaky and weak, the adrenaline from the fight gone. His body was resisting his urge to move. Jack knew if his actions had been wrong, and the broken statue hadn't released Daniel, then he still had a fight on his hands. If that was the case, he needed to gather his strength.

Daniel pulled himself to a sitting position, and found himself only scant feet from the Colonel. “Yeah Jack?”

“That you?”

“Huh”

Jack grinned. “Never mind.” That simple familiar term was more effective in convincing Jack of Daniel's identity than any test would have been. Using the altar behind for leverage, Jack pulled himself to standing.

He crossed the distance to Daniel and held out his hand. Daniel reached tentatively for it, and allowed himself to helped.

The two men stood face to face. Jack's cheek still bore a bleeding cut, and the bruising was already showing vividly on his throat, in sharp contrast to the paleness of his face. It was his eyes however, that caught Daniel's attention. They were worried, and unsure.

Daniel groaned inwardly. He remembered all the hateful things he had said and cringed. His actions were inexcusable, and he didn't know how Jack could forgive him. 

Both men stood there, unsure of what to say. The moments grew long. Finally, feeling the need to say something, Jack spoke. “You okay?”

“Yeah. You?”

“Peachy.” Jack realised this was going nowhere, fast. He turned and moved towards the altar to start picking up the pieces of rubble. For some reason, he felt a compulsion to tidy up the mess. Slowly he assembled them in a pile. He looked up as Daniel moved to the other side of the stone and started to silently help.

Daniel kept casting brief glances Jack's way to try and assess his friend's mood. Jack never looked up enough for him to tell. From the Colonel's silence though, Daniel was worried. He didn't realise the feeling was mutual. Finally he gave up the pretence of trying to help, and he began to move away.

Seeing that Daniel was leaving, Jack made a decision. Things needed to be resolved here and now. Unmindfully, he grabbed Daniel's hand in his own wounded one. Blood streamed between the two, and ran down their arms. Daniel looked nervously at the blood, then at Jack.

"You need to get that looked at you know." The words sounded inane to him, considering he, or rather his body, had inflicted the wound in the first place.

Jack looked absently at his hand, then dismissed it. "That can wait Daniel. We need to talk about what happened."

Daniel bowed his head in shame. "I'm sorry Jack, I really am. I tried so hard, but I couldn't fight it."

Jack reached with his other hand and lifted Daniel's chin to look the man in the eyes. Tears filled the blue orbs, magnifying their colour.

"I'm not talking about today Daniel. Of course that wasn't your fault. I'm talking about before."

"I'm sorry about that too Jack. I should have known you had a good reason for doing what you did. I just wish you had trusted me enough to tell me what was going on."

Jack was surprised. "I do trust you Daniel. It was never that. I just wanted to spare you and Carter the details."

"I don't need you to protect me Jack. I'm not some weakling who cracks under pressure." Anger had crept into Daniel's voice.

Jack's voice was soft, soothing. "I know that Daniel. You've been through more in the past few years than most people live in a lifetime."

Daniel looked questioningly at his friend. "I don't get it then. Why?"

Jack looked past Daniel, pondering the question. He thought about the things Daniel had endured over the past few years, then was caught by flashes from his own past. Daniel knew that whatever Jack was seeing, it wasn't the trees and rocks in the clearing. The sadness in the man's eyes took Daniel by surprise, and grabbed at his heart.

When Jack finally spoke, it was in a voice Daniel had never heard before. "When you spend your life in the darkness…….. when you see and live enough horror, it does something to you. It chips away at your soul, little by little until there's nothing left. Once that happens, it's too late. You don't get it back.” Jack looked at Daniel. “I don't want that for you, or Carter." Jack shook off his reverie, and released Daniel's hand. He started to walk away.

Daniel was stunned, and deeply saddened by what he heard. "Jack?"

Jack stopped, but didn't turn around. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

 "I am too Daniel. I am too." With that he left the clearing.


Teal'c was making his way back to the clearing when he heard the sounds of fighting. He started to run, and entered just in time to see Jack smash the statue. He wanted to rush forward and see to his friends health, when something held him back. It was Sam.

She too was returning, with a full load of wood. There had been plenty of branches lying on the ground, sparing her the need for an axe. She was on her way back when she spied Teal'c. He appeared to hear something and took off. She dropped her load and followed. She arrived just behind him. The big man was obviously engrossed in whatever he was watching, as he never noticed her arrival. She took in the scene, and while not aware of what was happening, she sensed the two recovering men needed to be alone. She lay a restraining hand on Teal'c arm. He was startled at seeing her beside him. She indicated for him to be quiet as they watched the drama unfold.

Tears sprung to Sam's eyes as she listened to Jack's words. Her heart went out to the man as he walked away. She wished she could do something, but that would involve revealing her presence, and that was unthinkable. The moment was a private one, which the Colonel would not appreciate knowing had been shared. It just pained her to know that once again he had watched out for their well being, and had paid the price for it. A price he had met far too often.

Teal'c too was moved. As First Prime, he had witnessed and caused much suffering. He understood Jack's words better than anyone. The difference was, he was already much older than O'Neill when he had begun to fight, and had received many years of training to cope. Jack had been trained in combat, but not in how to deal with its implications. Teal'c had also never suffered physically, a feat O'Neill was intimately familiar with. These things all conspired to take their toll. He knew O'Neill sought to protect his team, physically and emotionally, and this planet was just another example of that. He was grateful that Daniel finally understood the cost behind Jack's actions. He could only hope that this step was a healing one for both men.

Both Sam and Teal'c waited until Daniel was alone. By mutual agreement, Teal'c went on into the clearing alone. Having both arrive at such a sensitive moment would have been suspicious. Sam left and doubled back until she found her load of wood. She gathered it again, and once more headed towards the clearing.


Jack walked aimlessly. He wasn't sure where to go, or why he wanted to go there. He only knew that he needed some space. The last week had been a hard one, physically, and more importantly, emotionally. He thought over his brief conversation with Daniel. He had wanted to ask how his friend really was. How having some ancient Mayan God controlling his body had affected him. He wanted to explain his actions and his words more clearly. He just couldn't. He hadn't meant to reveal his thoughts to Daniel. Not those ones. Those were for him only. Jack grabbed a chunk of wood lying in his way. He threw it violently into the brush, hoping to work off some of the tension he felt. Smiling grimly as the wood hit a tree and exploded into toothpicks, his mind started to wander. It headed in a direction he wasn't comfortable with.

When he had killed Ezamane, it had been clear cut. The man was a sadistic killer. He was also possessed of frightening powers. To Jack there was no choice. Stop him. End the killings. It was a no brainer. Until Daniel was possessed that is. Then he realised that there was an innocent man underneath. What if Ezamane had been like Daniel? Someone possessed of a strong sense of morality and justice. Jack hadn't considered that when he acted. What if someone else had come across Daniel? Would his friend now also be lying dead?

Jack didn't stop to consider the personal cost of his actions. How his avoidance of hurting Daniel had almost cost him his own life. How by killing Ezamane he had saved Sam's life and the rest of his teams. He was too busy working on his feelings of self loathing to recognise the good, as well as the bad.


Teal'c approached the silent man who continue to stare at the woods. He made sure he made enough noise that he didn't startle him. “Daniel Jackson, are you all right?”

Daniel turned guilt laden eyes on the Jaffa. “Not really Teal'c. I really blew it this time.”

Teal'c cocked his head in a questioning way. “How so?”

“I know about the girls Teal'c. I know what you and Jack saw, and I know why he didn't tell me. He wanted to spare me, and I attacked him for it. What kind of a friend does that?”

Teal'c sighed at the lost expression on Daniel's face. “A good friend.”

Daniel looked at him, clearly puzzled. “How can you say that?”

Teal'c looked him in the eyes, hoping his words would make the man understand. “Do you not know what you mean to this team? How you make us think about our actions, and how they effect others?”

Daniel didn't answer. He just fumbled with his glasses and listened.

“One of the reasons O'Neill cares about you, is that you care about others. If you had accepted his actions without comment, you would not have been true to yourself, and your nature. O'Neill acted as he had to knowing what he did, and you acted the same. Anything else would have been wrong, for both of you. Do you understand?”

“I think so Teal'c.” Daniel thought back to Jack's words about his life. “Teal'c……can I ask you a question?”

“Of course Daniel. I will do my best to answer you fully.”

Daniel couldn't suppress his grin at the answer. Talk about true to nature. He quickly sobered up though, as he considered how to phrase his question. “You've seen a lot of battle haven't you?”

Teal'c nodded.

“What happens to you?”

“I do not understand the question.”

Daniel fumbled for the right wording. “Does seeing all that death and violence do something to you?”

Teal'c understood, and it saddened him. He knew the question related to O'Neill's words. “Yes Daniel, it does. It hurts inside, and the hurt does not like to leave. Every battle, every death leaves a small wound.”

Daniel nodded thoughtfully. He was glad he knew. It gave him some insight he sorely needed. “What do you do about it?”

Teal'c stood in thought. Clearly he had never given the question any consideration before. “I meditate. I spend time with friends. I try to see the hope in the faces around me, and most of all, I forgive myself.”

Daniel looked into Teal'c's eyes. “Do you think Jack forgives himself?”

“No Daniel, I do not.”

Daniel muttered. “Neither do I.” He started to head in Jack's direction. He called over his shoulder “I'll be back shortly.”

Knowing his young friend was off in search of O'Neill, Teal'c started on his next task. He left the clearing in search of suitable stones for sealing up the cave.


Sam arrived with her bundle and placed it near the mouth of the cave. She found the clearing empty, and hoped everyone was all right. As she went to leave, she noticed the pile of rock heaped up on the altar. Closer inspection led her to believe it was the remains of the statue. She hoped someone would come back soon to update her on recent events. It was clear she had missed something significant.


Jack had finally stopped walking. Fatigue was wearing heavily on him and he finally realised that his cut hand was still continuing to bleed. He found a good sized stump, backed by a moss covered tree. Using the stump as a stool, he sat wearily. He tore the bottom of his shirt off and wrapped the cloth tightly around his hand. After securing it, he leaned back against the tree and closed his eyes. It felt good to rest. He decided to sit for a while and catch his breath. Then he would head back to help the others. They still had a burial to perform.

Daniel had not trouble tracing Jack's tracks. The man was not trying to hide from anyone, he was simply making his way through the forest. Daniel made good time and it wasn't long before he came across his friend.

Jack sat motionless, leaving Daniel to think he was asleep. He approached quietly, so he wouldn't disturb the resting man, and was surprised when Jack's eyes opened.

“It's okay Daniel. I heard you. Why are you here?”

“Because I need to talk to you. What you said back there………”

Jack waved his hand, cutting off Daniel's words. “There's nothing to talk about. I shouldn't have said all that stuff.” Jack looked at his friend. “You're right Daniel. I should have told you about the cave. You might have figured all this out in time. Ezamane would still be alive, and you wouldn't have been possessed by that ……thing.”

Daniel waited patiently until Jack stopped talking. “You finished?”

“Yeah” came the weary reply.

Daniel cleared his throat. “First of all, thank you.” Seeing Jack about to interrupt, Daniel shook his finger. “Ah ah ah. It's my turn to talk.” Daniel turned serious. “What you said back there made sense. I'm just grateful that you wanted to protect me from that. Not many people would have. Secondly, you did the right thing with Ezamane. He was corrupted by Ahpuc long ago. Even if we had figured out how to free him, he never would have recovered. He liked the killing as much as Ahpuc did. Thirdly, I know he almost beat you because you didn't want to hurt me. Thanks for fighting for me, and for setting me free.”

It was Jack's turn to wait, albeit not so patiently. “Your welcome. But I'm not so sure about Ezamane.”

“Trust me Jack. Ahpuc was more that happy to let me know about him. He went dark side a long time ago. You trusted your instincts, and they were right.”

Jack looked a little uncomfortable with all the praise. He decided a change was needed. “Come on Daniel. I think we have a funeral to attend.”

Together the two men walked back to the clearing.


Night had fallen by the time the preparations were in order. Sam had gathered plenty of wood by the time Jack and Daniel made it back. She smiled when she saw them arrive together. Clearly they had made significant progress. It remained to be seen whether or not everything was healed, but time would tell. The group helped Teal'c to gather the remaining stones. All were tired when the task was completed, but none were quite ready to give in to their fatigue. In low tones, they began to talk about the events of that afternoon. By the time the story was told and questions were answered, it was time to light the fire.

Jack had taken the job of setting the wood in the cave. He kept it near the entrance so the fire could breathe, but far enough back that the flames would do their job. As he solemnly lit the fire, he said a quick prayer for the girls under his breath. It was the same one he had said at Charlie's funeral.

One by one, the team stood in front of the blaze and paid their final respects to the girls they had never met.

Together they tended the fire throughout the hours. It grew in size until it spilt out the front of the cave, it's smoke staining the rock face above.

As the sun finally began it's descent, they became aware of movement in the woods. Sulet entered the clearing, followed by the men and women of the village. The Chief nodded his acknowledgement to the team, then walked to the front of the fire. He removed a small statuette from a pouch he carried. Beckoning Jack to come forward, he handed him the pouch for safekeeping. 

Sulet stood in front of the fire, the flames illuminating his face in the dwindling light. He held his hand out, ignoring the searing heat. Speaking aloud, he started to speak. When he finished, none of the villagers had a dry eye. Finally, he kissed the amulet then threw it into the flames.

Sam turned to Daniel and whispered the question to Daniel. “What's he doing?”

Daniel was equally quiet as he replied. “The statue is a representation of the God Nohochacym. That's the Creator God. The Defender from evil. Sulet has asked for his protection and blessing of this place, so that the souls within might rest undisturbed.” Sam nodded her acknowledgement then turned back to watch the proceedings.

Sulet turned to Jack who gave him back the pouch. On a whim, Jack walked over to the altar. He gathered up the pile that he and Daniel had left there, and carried the stones over to the fire. Looking at Sulet for approval, he threw the remains of the statue into the eager flames. He stepped back and watched for the Chief's lead.

At Sulet's nod, the villagers filed past the fire, one by one. Each carried a bag filled with sand. The bags were emptied over the flames until the last one was finished. Each measure of sand beat the flames back a little more, until the fire was extinguished. Sulet then picked up a large stone and laid it on the remains of the fire. He executed a brief bow, then moved on. As with the sand, each villager placed a stone, followed by a farewell bow. When the last person had gone back to their spot, Sulet indicated for the team to participate. With great reverence, the team copied the actions of the villagers. Once finished, they moved to the side to observe. Sulet turned to the watching team. He spoke to them all, but directed his gaze at Jack. Without waiting for a reply, he turned and walked back into the woods, followed by the mourners. Before long, the forest once again fell silent.

Sam looked at Daniel. “What did he say?”

Daniel looked at Jack, wanting him to believe. “He said we have helped to purge their land of a great evil. Now their children can find peace, and they can begin to heal. He offers us his thanks.”

Jack looked at him, then gave a little smile. The words struck a chord inside him, and helped ease some of the guilt he felt. Seeing the gaze of his team resting on him, he cleared his throat and stood tall. “Alright campers. Let's go home.”

As they left the clearing, Jack turned a gave a final look around. Hearing something, he listened closely for the source. It was a bird singing. Smiling to himself, he turned and led his team home.


Back at the SGC, a very worried General quickly felt relief. It was obvious from the moment the team stepped on the ramp, that they had an interesting story to tell. It was also apparent, that they had come back a team.

Janet checked the group out. Aside from some stitches in Jack's hand, and a stern lecture for him to get some rest or else, she let them go. It wasn't until they left, that she wondered if everything was as healed as it seemed. After all, Daniel had been possessed by a rather nasty God.

The team took their meal together, then went their separate ways. Teal'c stayed at his quarters on base. Sam decided she had a project in her lab that was too exciting to leave any longer. Jack and Daniel headed home, with Jack driving. As they pulled up in front of Daniel's apartment, Jack realised that the usually voluble man had been unusually quiet on the ride home.

“Daniel? Are you okay?”

“I'm fine Jack. I'm just tired. You should be too. When was the last time you slept?”

“Don't change the subject, Danny. This isn't about me. This is about what happened back there. You had a pretty nasty guy in your head. Are you sure you're okay with that?”

“Yeah. Like I said, I'm just tired.” Daniel ended the conversation by opening the jeep's door. “See you tomorrow Jack.” Daniel walked away, into his apartment, leaving Jack sitting there, wondering.


Daniel sat huddled amidst the bundle of blankets piled up on his bed. His back was pressed against the headboard, his knees drawn up to his chest with his arms wrapped protectively around them. His chin rested on his knees. His gaze fell unseeingly on the wall at the far end of the room. Instead, his mind returned to the scene of the last mission. A time he knew he would never forget. He sat, staring in the dark, when a loud noise broke him from his reverie. Daniel looked through his open bedroom door, to the front door at the end of the hall.

“Daniel? You in there?” It was Jack.

Daniel thought about getting up, but felt unable to. His emotions were running too high to deal with anyone rationally.

The thudding on his door came insistently again.

“Daniel. I know you're in there. Open up.”

Daniel glanced at the illuminated clock at his bedside. It was 3:07am. He sighed deeply, then got out of bed. If he didn't let Jack in, the police that would undoubtedly be called would meet with a rather annoyed Colonel. It was a meeting he didn't want to think about. He scrubbed his hand through his shaggy hair tiredly as he shuffled down the hall. His stance was weary as he leaned against the hallway wall while opening the door.

Jack was looking rather wide eyed for someone who hadn't slept in goodness knew how long. Perhaps that was why. Overfatigue was sometimes it's own stimulant.

“Took you long enough,” he grumbled as he pushed past Daniel and entered the bedroom.

Daniel watched him suspiciously, as Jack went threw his drawers and threw articles of clothing on the bed. When it looked like Jack had finally stopped, Daniel spoke up. “What are you doing here, and why are you doing that? Do you know what time it is? Didn't Fraiser tell you to rest?” Daniel's voice was starting to squeak as his frustration grew.

“It's almost too late is what time it is. As for why I'm here, you'll find out soon enough, and I don't think even Fraiser would argue about this one. Besides, I have all day to sleep.” Jack indicated the clothes on the bed. “Now hurry up and put these on. We have to go.”

Jack pushed passed a stunned Daniel and left the room. “Go!? Go where?”

Jack just turned back and gave a grin. “Just hurry will ya?”

Daniel started grumbling under his breath, but did as he was asked.

Half a hour later, they were headed out of town in Jack's jeep. When asked again about their destination, Jack only smiled. Finally they pulled up to a small campsite just a few miles from the city limits. Jack grabbed a small pack from the rear of the jeep, and tied two blankets to it. He threw a warm jacket to Daniel.

“You might want to put this on. It gets cold up there.”

“Up where?” If Daniel wasn't starting to panic before, he was now.

Jack turned and walked to a path Daniel hadn't even noticed. He took a few steps along before looking back. “Coming?”

Daniel shrugged into the jacket, all the while questioning his sanity. Finally he was ready and started to follow the Colonel to who knew where, in the middle of the night.

After a short while of easy walking, the trail began to ascent the hill rapidly. Daniel followed Jack up the steep incline, his lungs straining to keep up. "Why did you say we needed to come here?" he called breathlessly to the man in front of him.

"You'll see Daniel."

"Answer me this. Why do we have to climb a mountain in the dark?" Daniel was starting to pant. Walking and talking were proving to be a difficult combination.

"It's not a mountain Daniel. It's a hill." No hint of fatigue was in Jack's voice, much to Daniel's annoyance.

By the time Daniel crested the hill, Jack had already taken a spot on his blanket, with Daniel's set out nearby.

Daniel's irritation with Jack's seemingly effortless climb quickly faded as he took in the scene. They had an uninterrupted view of the town below, and the hills surrounding them. "What is this place?"

Jack continued to take in the breathtaking panorama. "It's where I come when I need to think. The air is better, and a person can clear their head, without all that….." Jack waved his hand absently in front of him, indicating the town below.

Daniel was still confused about the purpose of this venture. "So why are we here now? Couldn't we come during the daytime?"

Jack turned to look at his friend. "Because there's something I need to show you Daniel. Something I think you need to see."

Daniel cast his gaze about, seeing nothing around him but rock and trees. "What?"

"You'll see soon enough."

The two sat in companionable silence for a short time before Jack broke the silence. "Here it comes," he spoke in hushed tones.

The sun started to rise in the distance. Yellow light began to bathe the area, quickly turning to vivid shades of red, orange and purples. As the sun rose higher, the colour finally began to fade. With it went the weight of the burdens he was carrying. It was the most spectacular sunrise Daniel had ever seen, and when it was over, he felt cleansed.

Neither man spoke for a few minutes. Finally Daniel cleared his throat and turned to Jack, taking note of the peace on his friend's face, unaware the same look was on his own.  "That was an incredible sunrise Jack. Thanks for sharing it with me."

"That wasn't a sunrise Daniel.” He smiled at Daniel's confused expression. "That's soul's salvation."

The confusion on Daniel's face quickly turned to understanding, and with that came a smile.

Wordlessly Jack turned back to the scene unfolding beneath him. Lights were starting to turn on in the homes below, as people began waking up.


Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||