WHERE ROADS MEET: Part 30

by:  Jmas
Feedback to:  jmtm1@eastky.net



DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognisable characters and property of Stargate SG-1 belong to MGM/UA, World Gekko Corp. and Double Secret Productions.  This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment purposes and no money was made from it.  Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended.  Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.  Any other characters, the storyline and the actual story are the property of the author.  Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).


Chapter 30: General George Hammond

Major Carter estimates they should have the reactor attached and activated by now. Manual dialing is a slow process, but SG1 has done it more than once. I have faith in my men, they'll get the job done.

The atmosphere here in the control room is thick with tension. Kasuf and Dr. Fraiser stand near the stairwell. I know Dr. Fraiser's team is prepped and on standby, she'll be down those stairs the moment the gate's inner ring moves. I just hope Dr. Jackson...Daniel...is holding on. The last report sounded good...well, not so bad anyway.

Kasuf is a good man, a good father to both his "boys". I can't help but smile when he calls Daniel that. How many times have I fallen into that same mode of address when it comes to our young civilian? Daniel Jackson is "our" boy just as much as he is Kasuf's. A fact we both seem to recognize. We take our responsibilities seriously...neither technology nor cultural separation make a damn bit of difference when it comes down to family.

Major Carter is alternately fidgeting at her computer station and chewing on her nails. I'd tell her to stop, but I know it helps her get through this terrible waiting. This is going to work...I believe that. Deep down I think she does too, but she's got her usual case of "what-ifs" and there isn't much I could say to help. We've been there and done this way too many times. It's a wonder she's got any fingernails left.

I've noticed a definite tension throughout the base since Kasuf came through with two-thirds of SG2. The grapevine I'm not really supposed to know exists has been in full operation and the facts of the situation are pretty well known all over the mountain. Personnel who have no real business or duty in this section ate finding reasons to stick close to the corridors from the gateroom to the infirmary. I could order them all back to their own areas, but I know they're just as worried as the rest of us...wanting to help, powerless to do more than wait.

If shared thoughts and energy hold any power in this universe then the SGC is lit up like a mega-watt Christmas tree and pouring out amps of goodwill for our missing men...

As the minutes click by, I'm starting to get a little...hell, make that a lot...worried. Carter's tapping her fingers lightly on the computer monitor...it's almost like she's willing the glyphs to spin and lock into their slots. I notice Harriman's little wince of irritation. He prefers a more ordered procedure in the control room...but I know he understands the major's nervousness, I've seen his toes tapping when he thinks no one notices.

I feel like I ought to say something encouraging, but somehow I can't bear to shatter this utter stillness. To break the spell of concentration and hope that's settled over us. I finally move to go top off my now-cold coffee...

The click-whine of a gate sequence initiating reaches my ears, the sound we've all been waiting for with every passing minute.

There are no teams off-world.

Barring an surprise visit from the Tok'ra or...heaven forbid...an attack from still another pissed-off Goa'uld...our boys are coming home.


Back
Back to Stories Page


|| TPOOL || SG-1 Fiction || Star Wars Fiction || Site Updates || Links ||
|| Webrings || Submissions || Beta Readers || Chat || Message Board ||
|| Other Stuff || The SG-1 Fanfic Webring || TPM Fanfic Webring ||